LAST LOOK AT THE NATIONAL COWBOY MUSEUM

New General Manager Craig MacTavish has cut through the prospect list like a hot knife through butter since last spring. The list of emerging talents, prospects, suspects, also-rans and hangers-on that have been blown out of the water is dizzying: Magnus Paajarvi, Theo Peckham, Chris VandeVelde, Phil Cornet, Colten Teubert, Antti Tyrvainen, Alex Plante, Tanner House Toni Rajala, Olivier Roy, Ryan Martindale, Cameron Abney, Teemu Hartikainen and a few guys I’ve no doubt missed.

And there’s a few flushes still to come. Oklahoma City has a busy weekend ahead, and the trade deadline is just around the corner. What might we see going (and coming) to OKC in the coming months? Will this be the final time for some to visit the National Cowboy Museum?

RFA’S

• C Anton Lander has been discussed at length. He’s 5-9-14 in his last 8gp and Jonathan Willis game his stamp of approval recently. It’s taken his entire entry level deal and mistakes were made along the way but this fellow might be part of the top 12F for a decade.
  • R Tyler Pitlick is knocking on the door, and despite health issues would seem to be in the future plans. He was 4-3-7 in his last 6gp before injury at the end of January.
  • L Roman Horak has looked good since coming over in a trade. He’s 7-5-12 in his last 8gp, and I’d guess he’s a candidate for callup with Lander and Pitlick.
  • L Curtis Hamilton can’t buy a break. He hasn’t done much during his entry-level deal but ripped through the last several games before injury (6g, 5-1-6). I haven’t read much about him since the injury, but I’d guess he has shown enough to warrant another contract. His status is less certain than Pitlick’s.
  • R Andrew Miller is also injured at the present time. He was 7gp, 0-3-3 before the injury earlier this month. Some reports have him doing well, he’s small and fast with good vision according to Willis.
  • D Taylor Fedun has done everything asked of him. I have little doubt Edmonton would like him back, but where does he rank on the depth chart? Will he make the team? Fedun’s time is now, although he is miles from being waiver eligible.
  • G Richard Bachman is rfa and I would think Edmonton is satisfied with his performance. He’s played 30 games and has a .911 sp.

This group of seven has enough talent to play in the NHL, some are better than what Edmonton is rolling out currently (in my opinion). I wouldn’t be surprised to see all of them signed this spring, the big questions comes in the fall when waivers are the worry.

UFA’S

• R Steve Pinizzotto is 0-7-7 in 11gp since coming over to Oklahoma City. Like Horak, his advantage is that the current GM traded for him. I suspect there’s a solid chance he returns on a two-way deal.
  • R Steve MacIntyre was claimed at a time when the organization was casting about for a nuclear deterrent in the early days after the Gagner assault. I can’t imagine they retain him unless it’s as a coach.
  • C Mark Arcobello will be a free agent and is in the same spot as Fedun. Edmonton/OKC signed him and gave him a chance, but if Arco can sign elsewhere and get a one-way deal I think he’ll go. Edmonton may decide Arcobello has enough value to offer him a one-way, but they split with Hartikainen on that issue a year ago.

There are 10 players in this conversation, and some of them will never make it as NHL players. However, some will and it’s vital for the organization to develop role players. I don’t really know much about Pinizotto, but would suggest the Oilers believe he has value based on their recent trade to get him.

• NHL 14-15: Anton Lander, Tyler Pitlick
  • AHL 14-15: Richard Bachman, Taylor Fedun, Roman Horak, Curtis Hamilton, Andrew Miller, Steve Pinizotto
  • Signing with other teams on one-way deals: Mark Arcobello
  • Released: Steve MacIntyre

What say you? (photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

38 Responses to "LAST LOOK AT THE NATIONAL COWBOY MUSEUM"

1. Benhur says:

We’ll see after the deadline dust settles. Maybe Gagner, Hemsky , Belov and Schultz the Elder will be gone. That would leave an opportunity for Arco, Lander and Fedun.

2. spoiler says:

Who is going to offer Fedun a one-way? Can’t see any NHL team doing that. The question right now is do the Oilers even offer him a two-way? It’s sad, because he lost a year of being able to display his talents to that horrific injury, but the roster numbers are catching up to him. The Oil need space in OKC to bring in more young’uns, so unless someone like Gernat or Musil or Simpson or Davidson becomes the kicker in a trade hand, I suspect he’s right on the bubble.

Pitlick with a hit/elbow

Hunt (Arcobello, Bachman) 1-1

5. spoiler says:

Just a heads up… Vancouver at Red Deer in WHL action on Shaw HD at 7pm. CH 303.

6. Big Dan says:

MacT hit close to the 50-person limit and learned his lesson. He is going to have a lot of room after all the drek like Ryan Jones has departed.

I would think his criteria when handing out two-way deals would be:
    - He has the potential to contribute at the NHL level (Arcobello, Omark, Acton) or
    - He is an AHL veteran who’ll make the team competitive (Hamilton) or
    - He has long term potential (Hunt, Miller)

All of your RFA’s will stay with the exception of one. I suspect Curtis Hamilton may be given a one-year deal to see if he can stay healthy. But I don’t think Andrew Miller has shown enough to prove he has any potential for the NHL and he hasn’t been much of an AHL contributor either. Unless he’ll take an AHL-only deal, he was a “nice try”.

As for the UFA’s, I think Arcobello and Fedun will go somewhere else. Neither may get a one-way deal elsewhere but it’ll be a lucrative one (I’d take $300K!) and there’ll be assurances they will get some NHL time. Why would they stay here when it’s apparent Dallas Eakins does not believe in them?

MacIntyre’s hockey career is all but over. Pinnizzoto, sure he’s an AHL goon who can play on the 4th line. I would think he would be offered an AHL-only deal (which doesn’t take up one of the 50 spots). If he wants a two-way, pass.

I really like Lander and Horak, and hope they are in the NHL after the deadline. Because that means MacT managed to talk somebody into giving him picks for all his drek.

Klefbom scores his first AHL goal tonight. Fyten and Ford assists, now 2-2

8. spoiler says:

Didn’t notice till today but ISS February rankings came out this week.

Top 5 unchanged:

1. Ekblad
    2. Reinhart
    3. Bennett
    4. Dal Colle
    5, Nylander

Ho Sang finally cracks the top 10 and the biggest mover was Goldobin, climbing from 25th to 13th.

9. sliderule says:

McIntyre as a coach?Is this boxing?
    That’s right up there with having Smitty as a coach.
    So next year we move Bucky into a new position assistant assistant Gm and send Smith back to Chicago and add Smitty and McIntyre..Wonderful.
    I know you are kidding and so am I .Hopefully.
    As for now bring up all the AHL guys they want to assess.Play them a bunch and work it so they don’t get more than 7 or 8 wins and I will concede that Mact is truly running things because despite what he has said a top three pick is what they need.
    If they win more than 8 games Katz kid is calling the shots.

Hunt (Horak, Arcobello) MacT loves him those Bergerons!

sliderule:
    McIntyre as a coach?Is this boxing?
    That’s right up there with having Smitty as a coach.
    So next year we move Buckyinto a new position assistant assistant Gm and send Smith back to Chicago and add Smitty and McIntyre..Wonderful.
    I know you are kidding and so am I .Hopefully.
    If they win more than 8 games Katz kid is calling the shots.

Rocky Thompson is a Steve MacIntyre or vice versa.

12. spoiler says:

Draft notables in the Giants @ Rebels:

Haydn Fleury, Conner Bleackley, Carter Popoff, Thomas Foster, and Arvin Atwal.

Giants also feature Oilers 2013 selection Jackson Houck.

Rebels C Adam Musil might also be a player to watch. Having a fine season despite not being eligible till next year.

Horak (Pinizotto)

14. sliderule says:

I have kind of wondered about Rocky but Klefboms interview gave a positive spin on him.

If you look at best coaches you see people like Babcock and Bowman who never played in NHL.

It was their knowledge and hard work rather than who they knew that got them to top.

15. gd says:

For people who get the Big 10 network, Wisconsin and Joel Rumpel are on right now.

16. gcw_rocks says:

Signing Pinizzotto would be a compete waste of a contract spot.

17. Pouzar says:

Get Horak some HGH and get him up here.

Any one have a stream?

How has Klefbom looked tonight?

Pouzar:
    Get Horak some HGH and get him up here.

Any one have a stream?

How has Klefbom looked tonight?

First AHL goal

19. Pouzar says:

VAN C. Franson, (26) (J. Houck)

20. Pouzar says:

Thx for that…the kid’s confidence has got to be sky high right now.

Barons win 4-2 Klefbom first goal, Horak a nice game.

22. anonymous says:

All of them on the old side for prospect.
    Except maybe Martindale.

anonymous:
    All of them on the old side for prospect.

Lander, Horak 22
    Pitlick, /Hamilton 21

Would you please define old for prospect?

24. anonymous says:

I meant the ones let go. Apologies.

25. RexLibris says:

MacTavish certainly culled the herd, but when one looks back it is hard to argue with any of the decisions.

anonymous:
    I meant the ones let go.Apologies.

No need to apologize, I misunderstood. Thanks for posting this, and I agree.

27. anonymous says:

Lowetide: No need to apologize, I misunderstood. Thanks for posting this, and I agree.

Mact probably had a good idea who he was keeping from the get go.

28. RexLibris says:

anonymous: Mact probably had a good ideawho he was keeping from the get go.

I would say so. Aside from Rajala, who apparently wanted to go free, the rest represent the proverbial writing on the wall in terms of their future within the organization, Paajarvi’s trade notwithstanding.

Lander, Pitlick, Horak and Fedun are the ones that I think return. In Fedun’s case I believe that MacTavish will move some defensive assets to address upgrades and other positional roster holes making Fedun’s presence either in OKC or in the aforementioned Corey Potter role a decent bet.

29. VanOil says:

This in depth analysis offered by Steve Dangle is best not viewed unless you have had a few celebratory beverages.

30. Moose says:

How exactly is Fedun a UFA? Does his injured season count as a “completed season”? I don’t see how based on the criteria specified on Cap-Geek.

31. VanOil says:

Some Coach named Babcock, who seems to know a thing or two about hockey (at least today, by Sunday he could be an idiot), thinks RNH will prove to be the best of the Oilers 1st overall picks.

If Sam Reinhart is RNH 2.0 then yes please. Buffalo would be silly not to take him. Lets hope they are silly. The kid is separating from the pack.

Moose:

My mistake. Fixed and thanks (confused him with Arco there for a sec).

33. spoiler says:

Barons win 4-2 Klefbom first goal, Horak a nice game.

That’s just wonderful. For Kelfbom, Horak, and Nelson.

Klefbom gets to pop his cherry before the call-up. That’s got to be a nice boost for him. If he’s anywhere near as well-coached as Marincin, I think we’re in for a real treat.

Part of me wonders though if MacT should wait and see if he can figure out some offense in the A before he brings him up. Be easier there and it’s starting to look like there’s a few sparks of offense. With care those sparks could ignite into a tidy little blaze.

And Horak too. MacT is the antithesis of Tambo. For all those who wanted a more proactive GM, they now have one. Tambo fiddled while the Oil burned with lack of depth in the two key roles of C and G. Every time there was an injury the team suffered.

Arco was found money, but even with his ascension up the depth chart, MacT went and added another C with NHL experience and some upside to his wallet in Horak. At the same time he added a quality young goalie and the space to sign a veteran option. Smid was a helluva price, but he was taking up a lot of cap space for no offense. This team would take a leap forward if they could ever develop a quality starting netminder. Better get some more dice rolling and they did.

Insurance. MacT seems to be a believer in it. Before waiting to see if a Gazdic could be plucked off the waiver wire, he went and got MacIntyre so at least they had some option if nothing came up and knowing he could bury him in the minors if something did. Proactive. Insurance. Depth.

And as you mention, LT, there has been some purging too along the way, and as sure as Spring follows Winter, more to come. It will be interesting to watch him continue to mold the organization into the shape and structure he thinks it should be. But I am so grateful the team is in his hands. I wouldn’t trust Tambo not to trade Gagner for a pittance, but I think there’s no way MacT does. And I think we’ll continue to see the effect a good GM has at the draft table. I don’t know how anyone can be unhappy with last year’s picks. I’m praying Mac gets himself at least a couple of more bullets for this year’s display of draft marksmanship.

And Coach Nelson…if they can keep him in the org then wow. If anyone should get credit for the Arcobello, Marincin, Klefbom, Pitlick and Lander developments, it’s him. They should pay him a gazillion dollars to stay down there and churn out NHL quality defensemen. What an asset he is.

34. HiddenDarts says:

VanOil:

SteveDangle for the gold!

35. Jeremy says:

Slightly off topic but a friend of a friend of mine sat near Craig MacTavish at the Ice Dogs vs Kingston game the other night, suspect the oilers are looking at Bennett closely.

36. Pouzar says: