NEWS FROM OKLAHOMA TERRITORY

Once the calendar turns to a new year, the prospects in the AHL often move up the depth chart. Don’t ask me why, it just works out that way. AHL rookies like Andrew Miller, Martin Gernat, Travis Ewanyk and David Musil should have adjusted to the step up in competition and be ready to take extra minutes. How are things going?

1. *D Martin Gernat 14, 3-3-6 -5
  2. *L Austin Fyten 6, 2-3-5 +4
  3. *D David Musil 14, 1-3-4 E
  4. *D Oscar Klefbom 10, 0-3-3 +2
  5. *C Travis Ewanyk 14, 1-2-3 -1
  6. *R Andrew Miller 4, 0-2-2 +5
  7. *L Kale Kessy 12, 0-1-1 -3

This is January and February games. Gernat certainly does wheel, I’m not certain the minus is a big deal but it is part of the story. Musil and Klefbom have (based on reports) settled in and this kid Fyten has made an impression. Nothing earth shattering, but the only guy who looks buried is Kessy.

Abbotsford vs. OKC Barons 10-19-13

1. C Anton Lander 14, 4-15-19 +4
  2. L Roman Horak 15, 8-5-13 +6
  3. D Taylor Fedun 15, 4-8-12 +4
  4. R Tyler Pitlick 11, 5-4-9 +5
  5. L Ryan Martindale 13, 3-6-9 +3 (traded to San Antonio)
  6. D Brad Hunt 13, 2-7-9 +5
  7. C Mark Arcobello 3, 3-4-7 +3
  8. C CJ Stretch 14, 2-5-7 -7
  9. C Will Acton 14, 3-3-6 +1
  10. L Ryan Hamilton 10, 3-1-4 -1
  11. D Brandon Davidson 14, 0-3-3 +6
  12. L Curtis Hamilton 4, 1-1-2 -2

Here are the veterans. Lander is ready, Oilers should call the man up and let him loose. Horak is a prospect I liked in Calgary, hope he gets a chance. Fedun, like Lander, is ready. I think Pitlick is too, but man this kid can’t stay healthy. Arco’s an NHLer and Curtis Hamilton has industrial knees. Brandon Davidson seems to have turned it around after a struggling start.

I know you all read Jonathan Willis at CoH and ON, but if you don’t please do yourself a favor. Brilliant stuff from OKC.

CALLUPS

• Right Now: Mark Arcobello, Anton Lander, Taylor Fedun
  • Soon: Roman Horak, Tyler Pitlick

There’s some talent down there, folks. And some rookie pro’s showing well since the new year.

(photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights Reserved)

63 Responses to "NEWS FROM OKLAHOMA TERRITORY"

1. fifthcartel says:

I would be really curious to see Lander with non-4th line wingers and what he could accomplish. Either way, I agree that he should be called up soon.

2. blackdog says:

They should call up Lander and Pitlick and have Smytty or Hendricks play with them for the rest if the year. Give them soft minutes, tell them not to be afraid to make mistakes. Its time.

blackdog:

Yep.

4. Ben says:

How’s Lander been on the dot?

I’m ok with Lander-Smyth-Hendricks/Pitlick on the 4th line next year.

5. jp says:

Man oh man, Lander needs to come back up, and hopefully produce. What a shame if he gets sent away because he hasn’t brought offense in the NHL so far. He keeps producing in the AHL. Almost impossible to believe he’s not at least a good 4th line NHL option at this point. Don’t send this guy away like Hartikainen.

And a bunch of other nice things as LT mentioned. Arcobello, Pitlick, Horak, Fedun, Klelbom. We should see all of these guys again soon. Nice to have some guys on the farm who really do deserve a look in a lost season.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

There’s probably a limit on the amount of times you are allowed to gush over players, but man do I love Lander.

I’m getting pretty excited to move on from some of these depth NHLers to try on guys like Lander full-time.

As I mentioned in the last thread, Combs has put up lots of points since coming over and though Pinizotto isn’t scoring he certainly has a lot of truculence!

you might want to include both in the vet category, though I have no idea where MacT slots them. More and more that move looks like trying to give Scott a push to make a last chance power drive to the playoffs than it does for 4th line NHL pluggers.

That Fyten kid has impressed more than I thought he would.

7. book¡je says:

One possibility with Lander is that MacT has bought into the notion that players should develop at the AHL level. That would be a good thing.

8. Lloyd B. says:

Perhaps giving Lander a chance with his big boy panties after the break if Gagner is traded. Slot him in as line 2C and see what happens. Perhaps his strong defence will cover his line mates while they do the offence dangling. If it does not go that well the Oilers still have Arco to cover. Draft the big 2 way C we need this year.

9. Hammers says:

We all expect some players to be gone and some called up . Agree with LT’s call ups . For that to happen the following need traded for draft picks . Jones , N . Schultz , Potter ,Smyth . Hemsky traded but that may end up being a prospect & a 2nd rd pick .That would allow Lander , Pitlick , Horak , Joensuu & Gazdic for 4th line . Odds seem to be Gags goes and Arco goes to 2nd . Guess is some of this is based on return for Gags . Will it be a “D” or a forward + .

10. PaperDesigner says:

You know, it just seems like Lander takes some time to get his offense adjusted to a league.

I think the Oilers would be well-served to just give him the fourth line spot, expect no offense for a couple years, and give him a good three years to prove he can start to score enough to arrive as a third line player that brings you 25-35 points a season.

It might take that long. But he is probably a good fourth line player by NHL standards now.

I think it makes a lot of sense to have him behind a player like Gordon. Gordon is probably the player you want Lander to turn into. Maybe slightly more offense, but whatever.

11. gogliano says:

book¡je:
    One possibility with Lander is that MacT has bought into the notion that players should develop at the AHL level.That would be a good thing.

We may not be the Detroit model yet but I’m hoping we’ve at least reverted to the mean, which is a good thing. If anyone can appreciate what a player like Lander can bring long term it should be MacT.

12. Bad Seed says:

gogliano,

You know, it took MacT’s hiring to tell 6 Rings that the Detroit model we should be following is the Wings & not the Lions. Doh!

13. jp says:

gogliano: Nurse is in Junior, Marincin wasn’t called up early in spite of the fact that he is our best defenseman (save Petry), and Klefbom is still in the AHL.

We may not be the Detroit model yet but I’m hoping we’ve at least reverted to the mean, which is a good thing.If anyone can appreciate what a player like Lander can bring long term it should be MacT.

Another nice byproduct of depth.

Omark, Grebeshkov, Belov, Jones, Joensuu et al. have been called useless at times and their signings have been questioned. But they’ve allowed some young guys to gestate in the minors a little longer.

Agreed about Lander. MacT should recognize what he has. Sure hope he does.

14. auzy11 says:

lander deserves a better shot than he has been given,and there is no doubt in my eyes this guy will turn out to be a bona fide 3rd line centre,given the chance

15. Pouzar says:

I just wish we could give Lander the keys to the 2nd line for 10 games to see what he brings.
    I think he’s better than a 4th liner and we already Gordon on the third. I think the big wigs in EDM are underestimating his offensive goods. I think he would be fine with Eberle and Perron.

I’m with RA, if I see Lander contributing full time on another NHL team I just may give up on this organization.

16. flyfish1168 says:

Another thing I like to point out about Lander is his low PIM he takes.

I’d like to see Lander with Smyth and Hemsky for the rest of the season. give the man a real chance here.

18. flyfish1168 says:

Is tyler pitlick hurt again? I don’t see him in today’s game sheet

flyfish1168:
    Is tyler pitlick hurt again? I don’t see him in today’s game sheet

Yes. I don’t think it’s a huge issue but he’s out for now.

20. The Great One says:

Playing Lander at #2C may be akin to saying that two grains of warm rice are better than rat’s tail soup, but I am preternaturally optimistic.

The Great One:

You wouldn’t have to play him at 2C.

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Eberle
    Gordon-Hendricks-Jones
    Lander-Smyth-Hemsky

22. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: Yes. I don’t think it’s a huge issue but he’s out for now.

Is it his knee again?

23. sliderule says:

There is a misunderstanding on the so called Detroit model of bringing along prospects.

Detroit since 2009 has brought up six prospects to play with them who were not drafted in the first round.some were just brought up for look sees but you have Tatar 49gams,Jurco 19 gms but even lesser lites like Oullett got 5 games.

The oilers have brought up three players Pitlick ,Marincin and Lander

It kind of looks like the new Detroit model is to take a look at them with the big boys kind of what some of us here want to see with the oiler prospects .

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168: Is it his knee again?

Romulus’ Apotheosis ‏@RomulusNotNuma Feb 4
    @okcbarons @JonathanWillis What’s wrong with Pitlick?

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons Feb 4
    @RomulusNotNuma @JonathanWillis Tweaked something in his lower body. Has been skating, not serious.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: You wouldn’t have to play him at 2C.

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Eberle
    Gordon-Hendricks-Jones
    Lander-Smyth-Hemsky

is this post Oly or post deadline?

at any rate, I’d be tempted to invert your 3rd and 4th lines.

26. The Great One says:

Lowetide: You wouldn’t have to play him at 2C.

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Eberle
    Gordon-Hendricks-Jones
    Lander-Smyth-Hemsky

Is there any evidence that Lander deserves more of a push than Arcobello?

The Great One: Is there any evidence that Lander deserves more of a push than Arcobello?

28. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Different kinds of players. You’d hope Lander can one day be a defensive shutdown type. Arcobello’s role is more offensive.

I think your line is right too… start him at LW where the Dirty Russian began his career as a mole. Let him learn that first, and maybe get some offensive confidence along the way, before putting him at pivot. I don’t think I would give him Hemsky though.

I wonder how much willingness MacT has to bring up players from OKC. I wonder if he would rather see the team try and win as much as they can. That doesn’t explain the ongoing Fraser audition, but it was probably pointless to do anything different before the break anyway. He has said that Klefbom will get a chance.

If Smytty decides he wants a Cup shot then that would open a spot for either Lander or Arco. Of course a Gagner trade would too.

29. The Great One says:

Remember MacT’s comment about being at least a threat to score?

30. spoiler says:

spoiler: I think your line is right too… start him at LW

;-)

The Great One:

Remember MacT’s comment about being at least a threat to score?

Well that’s kind of it, right? He’s shown he can score in the AHL, there’s no magic to it. So, put him with two guys who can pass and think (Smyth, Hemsky) and see how things roll.

32. stevezie says:

The Great One: I would think Arcobello is a better bet and the difference defensively is likely not all that great.

I agree with this, but I’ll add that you are selling Lander a little short. He is a ppg player in the A with an extremely limited supporting cast. I just took a glance at the AHL scoring leader list, and there are three guys with scoring rates significantly better than a point-a-game, everyone else is in the Lander range- he is scoring at a dominant level for that league.

As a quick comparison, his production is equal to that of offensive specialist Linus Omark.

Lander has yet to bring it to the NHL, but the AHL evidence suggests he will meet MacTs threat level.

Considering his age I’m not sure it is fair to hold his previous non-threatening seasons against him. He’s not that player anymore.

All that said, I’m an Arco booster.

33. spoiler says:

Does anyone think there is any chance Jones gets traded?

Not likely for sure, but wouldn’t surprise me. Not if they’re thinking Pitlickety.

34. VanOil says:

Lowetide: You wouldn’t have to play him at 2C.
    Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Eberle
    Gordon-Hendricks-Jones
    Lander-Smyth-Hemsky

Square the difference of Arco v. Lander and put Arco in the Jones spot on the shut down line.

None of this will ever happen though as we all know icing a roster with out face punchers on every line is emasculating and a sure way to lose.

35. The Great One says:

Arcobello in the AHL this season:

2.33 PPG (very small sample size)

Lander in the AHL this season:

1.03 PPG

NHL totals:

Arcobello: .438 PPG

Lander: .218 PPG

Not close really.

If you think there is a huge drop off in defensive ability you might consider Lander but, if not, this is a no brainer.

36. VanOil says:

spoiler:
    Does anyone think there is any chance Jones gets traded?

Jones for Kyle Clifford look like a fair trade!

spoiler:
    Does anyone think there is any chance Jones gets traded?

Jones needed to show more imo.

38. spoiler says:

The thing about both Arco and Lander is they both seem to be pretty intelligent players. And it’s nice to have the two of them and Horak as options if injuries were decimating the C spot. Tambellini is still writing himself the memo.

39. stevezie says:

The Great One,

Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to.

40. spoiler says:

VanOil: Jones for Kyle Clifford look like a fair trade!

I would not even be against paying half Jones’ salary.

41. The Great One says:

spoiler:
    Does anyone think there is any chance Jones gets traded?

Here’s a Fun Fact ®

Ryan Jones: 39GP 2G 4A 6P Cap Hit $1.5M

Mason Raymond: 60GP 16G 19A 35P Cap Hit $1.0M

Remember when I said the Oilers should sign Raymond?

Because Oilers.

42. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Jones needed to show more imo.

That 4th line has seemed stronger of late. Smytty, my god Smytty… In True Romance, when Patricia Arquette hands over the napkin to Christian Slater and it says “You’re so cool!”, well that’s how I feel about Ryan Smyth this year.

43. spoiler says:

The Great One: Here’s a Fun Fact ®

Ryan Jones: 39GP 2G 4A 6P Cap Hit $1.5M

Mason Raymond: 60GP 16G 19A 35P Cap Hit $1.0M

Remember when I said the Oilers should sign Raymond?

Because Oilers.

And 28 other teams.

The Great One: Here’s a Fun Fact ®

Ryan Jones: 39GP 2G 4A 6P Cap Hit $1.5M

Mason Raymond: 60GP 16G 19A 35P Cap Hit $1.0M

Remember when I said the Oilers should sign Raymond?

Because Oilers.

Nah. I don’t remember where, but someone wrote that Raymond had agreed early on with the Leafs, but waited for money to shake loose. Good try, though.

45. Hammers says:

46. spoiler says:

Hammers: I still think Hemsky & Smyth will be gone by March 5th but it is a good idea none the less .

There’s a pretty good chance that happens too. I think Hemsky is just as likely to be traded as Gagner. I would imagine that MacT would have felt out Hemsky’s agent to see what they’re thinking for next year and base his decision on that. Hemmer doesn’t have that many hockey years left. He may want to move on to have a shot at the Cup, or max his earning potential, or maybe he prefers to stay and will bend to make that happen. We don’t know, but MacT should, and hopefully he acts accordingly.

And Smytty… I’m sure if he wants a shot at a Cup, they will find a way to make it happen. And I don’t see why a team wouldn’t want a savvy depth forward who can help play on special teams and help at C. I’m hoping he plays for San Jose and gives me a good team to cheer for. But again, I bet it is up to him.

47. gcw_rocks says:

jp,

Another nice byproduct of depth.

Now, imagine if MacT had signed real hockey players instead of tweeners and has beens and the team was competitive so they wouldn’t have needed to call up Marincin at all, or we weren’t happy to see Lander and Pitlick gifted some ice time.

The team doesn’t have depth. Its overloaded with tweeners that muddy the waters and inhibit competitiveness.

48. gcw_rocks says:

You don’t think if the Oilers had offered $1.5M to $2.0M to Raymond he would have changed his mind?

49. gcw_rocks says:

The Great One,

Remember MacT’s comment about being at least a threat to score?

And then he went out and added SMac, Gazdic, Hendricks, Acton, and Fraser to the roster.

50. tsunami says:

The Great One: Here’s a Fun Fact ®

Ryan Jones: 39GP 2G 4A 6P Cap Hit $1.5M

Mason Raymond: 60GP 16G 19A 35P Cap Hit $1.0M

Remember when I said the Oilers should sign Raymond?

Because Oilers.

Pretty sure you meant Wellwood ;)…

51. Beaker says:

The thing about Landers NHL production everyone forgets is that he literally played most of his nhl games with players who didnt even know how to tie their skates properly. As a rookie. Fresh from Europe. He was hung out to dry. Hes turned it up a notch in the AHL since hes been down there full time so it would be reasonable to suggest he’ll be able to give his NHL play a notch up too.

52. russ99 says:

Kind of sad what the Oilers did with OKC this year, last year’s playoff push got them some interest, and they dropped the bottom out of the roster at forward.

Hope we can get some good forward prospects in there next year.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:
    Does anyone think there is any chance Jones gets traded?

Lady Pants IIRC and maybe Matty (?) have been suggesting there is interest in Jones. I think the Nucks were named.

Jones is cheap(ish) and has some scoring, can PK and in direct answer to this:

Lowetide: Jones needed to show more imo.

He’s been fighting like crazy this year… clearly someone whispered in his ear: “you want to stick in the NHL? starting picking fights”

Van under Torts could look at him as an upgrade on a Weiss type guy… who knows?

———–
    On Arco vs. Lander.

I say “yes please!”

take both and completely restructure the 3rd and 4th lines. I’m also open to both playing on the wing.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:

Hope we can get some good forward prospects in there next year.

That team had a lot of AHL vets driving the bus. remember Cheechoo?

Scott was told to build a winner under Tambo, idea being let the kids watch others win and it will rub off on them.

This year MacT told Scott to let the kids do the heavy lifting… and it’s starting to show. 5 straight wins.

Next year they’ll get a F boost in the form of Kharia, Moroz, Yakimov…

55. icecastles says:

Canada-Finland has been 0-0 up to almost halfway through the third period. Two quick goals and now 2-0 Canada.

Staggering how bad at hockey even the ‘dominant’ Canadian team is when it comes to womens’ hockey. The skating is better than in years past but the stickhandling, passing, reaction time… terrible. And the shooting accuracy.: people aren’t exaggerating when they’ve seen more skill in Bantam hockey.

During the first intermission I was enjoying some of the slow-motion replays until I realized they were not, in fact, slow motion at all.

56. icecastles says:

3:20 left, Canada gets a 3 on 1 break and scores off a brilliant cross-seam pass. 3-0. Feel bad for Finland. Great defense, but they have something like 13 SOG in the whole game. Just no offense whatsoever.

russ99:

Hope we can get some good forward prospects in there next year.

Ryan Hamilton and Will Acton have another year on their NHL contracts which pay them big dollars in the AHL. So there is no room for experienced AHL only help on offense coming next year.

Romulus Apotheosis: Last year no forwards prospects of note (excepting Lander) were given serious roles on the Barons.

That team had a lot of AHL vets driving the bus. remember Cheechoo?

Rajala, Lander, and Hartikainen were driving the bus in the 2nd half. Cornet and Vandevelde were also on the last year of their ELC. 5 Oiler drafts.

godot10: Rajala, Lander, and Hartikainen were driving the bus in the 2nd half.Cornet and Vandevelde were also on the last year of their ELC.5 Oiler drafts.

Three of the top 4 D in the run to the playoffs and playoffs were first year players…. Fedun, Marincin, and Davidson.

60. Fish82 says:

Trade Gagner, Nick Shultz (alleviate the Muzzin hole…partially) ,AND Smyth (for added value, plus I think he’d go for a shot at the cup) for Muzzin and Clifford.

Next Year Roster

Hall – RNH – Yak
    Perron – Reinheart – Ebs
    Clifford – Gordon – Hendricks
    Smyth – Lander – Arco

??Markov?? – Petry
    Muzzin – Shultz Jr.
    Marincine – Ferrence

Offer Markov a big overpay on a 2 year term contract

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I forgot about Rajala and Harti… stupid!

the other two were pretty far from prospects at the time. They are AHL vets now.

62. Bank Shot says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Will they get an F boost next year? Pitlick outscored both Khaira and Moroz in his last year of junior. Marco Roy might be old enough for the A next year? He hasn’t exactly lit it up either.

Maybe the Oilers should look at trading a day prospect or two for a forward