OILERS AT BRUINS G57, 13-14

Youth is wasted on all the wrong people. The mistakes made by young hockey players, young pitchers, young quarterbacks, have probably made up about 15% of my television/live game watching life. I’m sometimes reminded of an old Bill Cosby comedy clip in which he’s talking about his kids. They’ve done something very stupid, and he asks “WHY DID YOU DO THAT??” and comes the universal reply of all youth: I. don’t. know.

WAYS TO LEARN VOLUME ONE: EXPERIENCE

oilers feb 1 blueThere is so much inexperience on this graph the mind boggles. The club began the season with veterans Andrew Ference, Nick Schultz and Ladislav Smid, but currently rocks down the highway with Justin Schultz, Martin Marincin and Jeff Petry as the feature players. Lunacy. Have the Oilers EVER had this much youth on their blue? How DO you build a defense when youth arrives every season?

• 1979-80: featured two 20-year olds (Kevin Lowe, Risto Siltanen) and then a group of mid 20′s gents (Lee Fogolin, Doug Hicks, Pat Price, Colin Campbell) with plenty of experience.
  • 1980-81: Paul Coffey arrived.
  • 1982-83: Charlie Huddy and an older Randy Gregg arrived.
  • 1983-84: The gang’s all here for Stanley. Coffey, Huddy, Lowe, Gregg, with Fogolin for experience and Don Jackson playing the Mark Fraser role.

So, the Oilers did it by adding at the most two in any one season. The current blue saw rookies added like so:

• 2010-11: Jeff Petry graduates after half a season in OKC. Theo Peckham catches on full-time.
  • 2011-12: Corey Potter gets his chance after a long incubation in the minors.
  • 2012-13: Justin Schultz arrives, representing the first “possible impact” addition to the group.
  • 2013-14: Martin Marincin is the big addition, but Anton Belov also debuts.

Unlike the 1979-84 cluster building, there’s a lot of “noise” in this one with guys from Alex Plante to Colten Teubert to Phil Larsen clouding the picture. The Oilers prospects are more suspect than 40 years ago, and that’s pro scouting and the lag in development time to get the Magnificent Bastard blue in place (if you’re bitching about MacGregor’s performance in regard to the blueline, remember this is the time we should be seeing Alex Plante, Theo Peckham and Taylor Chorney taking regular shifts).

It’s a long way to go.

hemsky11Hemsky is apparently back in today, Ference too, plus there’s the new hire Mark Fraser. It’ll be interesting to see the starting lineups, I’ll post them when I see them.

SO MUCH OILER HISTORY IN BOSTON

MARK ARCOBELLO

arcobello4Mark Arcobello has been assigned to Oklahoma City. Let the rage begin! He had a sweet start to the season, but once Sam Gagner returned the club didn’t see him as a 4line option. With Arco looking at free agency, the Oilers will have to sign him to a contract or lose him this summer. I don’t think this means a lot, he could easily be recalled on Monday after a trade.

198 Responses to "OILERS AT BRUINS G57, 13-14"

I teared up Messier passed the Cup to Graves.

I’ve only said it 4,562,732 times, so I’ll say it again.

MacT witnessed what a 4th line of Gelinas, Graves and Murphy can do. That is be a key cog in a Stanley Cup winning team.

CHI knows that lesson and their 4th lines are full of good young hockey players and they are the only repeat Cup winners in recent years.

2. jake70 says:

Well, couple of buddies and I had a road trip planned for this one back in October, little drive down the I-95, if they were chasing a playoff spot. By Halloween we scrapped the trip. Maybe next year. Go Oil.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think the Arco thing might be a paper transaction to get Fraser on the roster without having to make a decision on the Blue just yet. Probably a trade happens shortly, or Potter/Larsen find themselves back on the IR.

4. Eastern Oil says:

LT, I see you mentioned that Arco could be called up after a trade made before the Olympic break (or Feb 7 when the Oly trade freeze begins). I assume part of it would also be to get him into some games over the next week in case a trade dosen’t happen before, and to allow him to keep playing during the break as well.

Either way, I am sure that Nelson would be happy to see him if he does in fact leave Edm for OKC.

Edit: I see OKC plays down in Texas tomorrow and again Tuesday so if he is leaving to play we may know by tomorrow.

Romulus Apotheosis:

Larsen was placed on IR to make room for Arcobello.

6. flyfish1168 says:

Have anyone heard how Hendricks is doing ?

BOS is 6th in the NHL in HomeFen with 53.5%
    EDM is 29th in the NHL in RoadFen with 42.1%

This should be a beating.

Like every game, special teams and goaltending can have a significant impact.

Scrivens starts for EDM, no idea if BOS will start Rask or Johnson.

Johnson was in net when BOS was in EDM.

I expect young Mr. Fraser to want to impress his new/old coach and team mates, so I expect some THUNDEROUS BODY CHECKS, and perhaps a scrap.

I wonder if he goes after Lucic.

@heavyoilcountry makes an interesting point in his blog:

Basically he says that you can never get Gazdic out against who you want him to beat up (Kassian), but if you have a Fraser type on D, then Fraser should be able to hit and piss off your Kassian type as a matter of course during the game.

I wouldn’t mind a new Andy Sutton as 3RD. I don’t think Fraser is it.

I want a NHLer with a long track record of being able to play hockey vs. Actual NHLers.

I would prefer that the 4th line be full of hockey players and not energy/puncher types, so perhaps this is a step in the right direction?

GO OILERS!!!

*clap, clap*

8. Ice Sage says:

Oilers D remain a bad sitcom – new characters good for a few cheap laughs but you have to turn away after a while and watch a better show (forwards, Scrivezina, opponents).
    I’ll quibble with Potter and Belov being characterized as ‘raw rookies’ – there’s a few miles of rough road on them but their not delivering like Gregg did – honorary MD’s might be in order?

I cannot rationalize an Oiler win today (which means they will, somehow)

Lowetide: Larsen was placed on IR to make room for Arcobello.

You mean Larsen was IR’d to make room for Fraser right?

Romulus Apotheosis:

What if it means MacT just traded for Callahan?

*stirs pot*

Romulus Apotheosis:

What if MacT just traded for Kulimen?

*stirs pot*

12. steveb12344 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

There is a chance that they might be trying to give the Barons a push here too.

With them only 6 points out and lots of games to go. Maybe they want Arco to help with the playoff drive, as we all know how much the org. values the playoff experience for the younglings.

13. DBO says:

Looks like Larsen is on IR (Dizziness).

Arco down is annoying, but helps OKC. Would love to see this lineup to start next year

Hall-Nuge-Eberle (PVP)
    Kulemin-Gagner-Yak (sheltered, but with Kulemin some actual two way play)
    Perron-Gordon-Hemsky (Love this line)
    Smyth-Lander-Hendricks (and love this line as a 4th line)

4 actual lines. More grit and two way ability. Yes no face puncher, but he is a sub for certain teams. The Gordon line could be the best two way line we’ve seen in ages, with the ability to out score a bunch. Shelter Gagner’s a bit, but with Kulemin they would be better in own zone. 4th line could serve as a 3rd line checking line if needed, allowing Eakins to shelter or sit the 2nd if they are crapping the bed, or we have a lead.

@rosscreeknation (a good follow on twitter) makes this point:

RCN ‏@RossCreekNation 6m

EDIT: Totally misunderstood that

If Acro DOESN’T play in 17 more NHL games he gets to be a UFA.

Can someone call Olcyk and let him know this?

He has a history of shitting the bed on CBA stuff.

Not good for your CBA expert to be out experted by guys like Speeds on a regular basis.

15. thejonrmcleod says:

There’s this from our friend RossCreekNation:

@RossCreekNation

Edit: I see Woodguy beat me to it.

Woodguy: You mean Larsen was IR’d to make room for Fraser right?

lol. Yes. Larsen to IR for Fraser, and the Arcobello to OKC for Hemsky.

17. Eastern Oil says:

Woodguy: @rosscreeknation (a good follow on twitter) makes this point:RCN ‏@RossCreekNation 6mAs I said last night, Mark Arcobello will be a UFA if he doesn’t play in 17 more NHL games before end of season.Maybe they keep in OKC for the rest of the year to keep him from being UFA?

If he does play in 17 more NHL games he is a UFA, or doesn’t? I’m a little confused with the tweet and your line afterwards. I thought Speeds mentioned once he had to play a certain amount of games in the NHL this year to NOT be a UFA.

18. Eastern Oil says:

Woodguy,

That’s actually interesting (re: Olcyk knowing), I wonder what the response would be if someone brought that up to Eakins and he was under a different assumption.

Lowetide: lol. Yes. Larsen to IR for Fraser, and the Arcobello to OKC for Hemsky.

I agree with your inference about Arco.

20. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    @rosscreeknation (a good follow on twitter) makes this point:

RCN ‏@RossCreekNation 6m

EDIT: Totally misunderstood that

If Acro DOESN’T play in 17 more NHL games he gets to be a UFA.

Can someone call Olcyk and let him know this?

He has a history of shitting the bed on CBA stuff.

Yes, when it’s your profession to know about something, it’s probably important to know more than the volunteers.

This assumes he could be traded for something, which he probably could be, however small.

23. Nostradumbass says:

I’ll take deep a breathe hoping the Oilers are trying to game the system to keep Arco for next year

I had chance to watch a couple of home games this month (Oiler tickets are now the easiest ticket in town) and two things that stood out that I hadn’t considered as deeply before was how good a player Arco is going to be and the athleticism of our defense, especially Marinicin, Petry and Schultz

I wonder how much of the Oilers defensive woes is contributable to the fact our forwards bascially can’t create any substained offensive zone time and I also wonder if Oiler brass know what they have in Arco

24. B S says:

jake70:

I was considering the same thing, even into November, but both the cost of tickets, and having to drive back that night with a Bruins fan in my ear for a few hours, after an almost certain @$$ kicking, was to much to handle.

25. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Woodguy:
    @rosscreeknation (a good follow on twitter) makes this point:

RCN ‏@RossCreekNation 6m

17 seems low. According to capgeek (link below) due to the shortened season adjustments 3 years on contract works out to 69 NHL games total to avoid Group 6 Free Agency and he only has 42 games under his belt. What am I missing? It appears he needs 27 games not 17.

The die was cast before his injury when he watched Acton play night after night. And as much as we like to laugh at the finger counters on Kingsway they likely knew it was the use him or lose him year. The injury clinched things. Now he only stays if its his best option.

26. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Lets hope for another game of darkness from Scrivens.

I feel for Arco. He had some mojo going from the start but because of player bias the carpet was sternly yanked from under him choking his momentum and opportunity in the top 6. I’m guessing he’s a goner and it will probably be his election. Tough to break in to this league.

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: 17 seems low.According to capgeek (link below) due to the shortened season adjustments 3 years on contract works out to 69 NHL games total to avoid Group 6 Free Agency and he only has 42 games under his belt. What am I missing? It appears he needs 27 games not 17.

The die was cast before his injury when he watched Acton play night after night. And as much as we like to laugh at the finger counters on Kingsway they likely knew it was the use him or lose him year. The injury clinched things. Now he only stays if we wants to.

That may be.

I’m relying on the expertise of others in the case of funky cba rules.

Thanks for the link.

28. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy: What if it means MacT just traded for Weber?

*stirs pot*

Oilogosphere explodes…

29. WeirsBeard says:

When does Katz win Crosby in a game of backgammon and this rebuild really gets on a roll?

WeirsBeard: Oilogosphere explodes…

Hey, hey, hey I didn’t say that.

Maybe I should have.

31. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Woodguy,

Without the lockout season the 80 games rule pretty much means that you want to get a good chunk of NHL games in before the 3rd contract year for players of his age (if flight risk matters for the given prospect)

32. G Money says:

Lowetide: If Arcobello leaves via free agency, people are going to have a fit. And you know what? I don’t think it’s worth a fit. I like the player, but for me he’s an expansion replacement level. He MAY end up being more than that, but I don’t see him as being a guy who could play with high end skill wingers and optimize the offense.

If that happens, he joins a long list of useful players (like Hejda and Glencross) lost for nothing other than inaction or inattention, and I find that very hard to stomach.

33. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

G Money,

Any other year I guy that age plays his 2nd NHL game at the start of his 3rd contract year he’s already as good as Group 6 UFA. The lockout meant he *only* needed 68 games. They pretty much wiped out any chance of 80 when they gave him the pressbox view of Acton. Doubt they ever intended to play him enough to avoid Group 6.

34. Kitchener says:

What if MacT just traded for Penner?

*stirs pot*

35. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Sounds like Slats is playing silly bugger with Callahan. Lets queue up for that ticket to the dance. Rare talent to seize at peak of career.

36. Numenius says:

If Fraser’s in, who doesn’t play today, Belov or Nultz?

I’d guess Nultz.

37. FastOil says:

Woodguy: The fit would be more to due with asset management than pining for Arco on the roster.

100%.

They must stop losing value.

38. hunter1909 says:

I don’t remember Oilers beating the Bruins since 1990.

Woodguy: MacT, remember your past and get this team some good young hockey players for the 4th and set the “energy players aside”

In 2014 that Kid Line is Hall/RNH/Eberle.

G Money: The issue is less about him leaving, and more about the fact that we would lose a capable replacement level player (who’s shown he *can* step in on the second line on occasion) for nothing.

I don’t think he’ll be Hedja or Glencross. Belov has a better chance of being part of that family imo. That said, I’d certainly sign Arcobello.

40. G Money says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

Yeah, that assessment makes sense – but it doesn’t make me feel better.

Losing a useful player from inattention or inaction is probably less of a sin than the management of the shittiest team in the league acting like it doesn’t need to either hold on to good players, or turn those good players into other useful assets.

If we translate your description to its fundamentals, we just traded the rights to Marc Arcobello in exchange for 20 games of Will Acton.

41. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

G Money:
    НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

Yeah, that assessment makes sense – but it doesn’t make me feel better.

That’s sobering. Like really.

Lines as per Bob:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m
    Hall-RNH-Eberle, Yakupov-Gagner-Perron, Hendricks-Gordon-Hemsky, Gazdic-Smyth-Jones, Schultz-Schultz, Marincin-Petry, Fraser-Ference

Scrivens vs. Johnson in net.

Interesting that Fraser is with Ference.

I’d say that’s the 3rd pairing. Ease Ference back in the line up.

Ference on his off side.

If I’m Julien I run Krejci at that pairing all day.

Woodguy:
    Lines as per Bob:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m

Scrivens vs. Johnson in net.

Interesting that Fraser is with Ference.

I’d say that’s the 3rd pairing.Ease Ference back in the line up.

Ference on his off side.

If I’m Julien I run Krejci at that pairing all day.

Nick looks better with J.Shultz than with “X” on the3rd pair.

MacT looking for Nick to switch locker rooms after the game…. *crosses fingers*

44. Pouzar says:

4th Line

Gazdic-Lander-Pitlick

oh well

45. Hammers says:

46. FastOil says:

G Money:
    НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

Yeah, that assessment makes sense – but it doesn’t make me feel better.

The Oilers are bleeding out at the neck but management is more concerned with whether their tie is more cool than Don Cherry’s.

47. tcho says:

Goilers! *clap clap*

48. "Steve Smith" says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic: That’s sobering. Like really.

I don’t know, I’m still drunk.

49. Andy P says:

Woodguy: I agree with your inference about Arco.One of N.Shultz or Belov changes dressing rooms after the game and Arco gets recalled.

I know a lot of people don’t like Belov but I’d rather lose Nultz and Potter before we gave up on Belov. I would surmise, unburdened by facts or inside information, that the only reason we would trade Belov would be if he has already declined an extension.

50. Andy P says:

51. Pouzar says:

Very interested in seeing what Gagner shows up in this game/road trip.

52. denny33 says:

G Money,

*********************************************************************************************
    Exactly.

Seeing people rationalize Edmonton Oiler managment – is quite painful.

If anyone truly feels Marc is the worst forward on the team please say so…

Marc – 18 points – -7
    Sam – 23 points – 18. ( 2 more games played )

53. steveb12344 says:

Andy P: Hi LT, didn’t he produce better results than Baby Nuge between Hall and Ebs during the lockout?

Also, remember. Gagner had an 8 point night playing between 04, and 14. They have a tendency to make their center look pretty good.

Not better, more like comparable.

It was in the AHL too… Big difference.

54. FastOil says:

Ryan Callahan

GP 39 PTS 21 5’11″ 190 lbs turning 29 soon.

Exactly what the Oilers need.

55. tcho says:

Great shift from the third line there. I think Hall/Nuge/Ebs are going to have a tough night against Chara….

56. Pouzar says:

we can’t trade Hemsky……right?

57. tcho says:

*sigh* It would be nice if we could out chance the other team on our PP

58. Andy P says:

Hammers: I also like what Arcobello brought this year but come on guys Arco playing for the Oil is one thing but face it we have way bigger problems than Arcobello . On a playoff contender Arco isn’t playing . McT has way bigger problems starting with the 1st UFA player traded . There are 5-6 players he could / should /may move . N.Schultz , Potter , Jones , Smyth , Hemsky & Belov plus even Arcobello . Then there are the potential trades like Gags . If McT makes at least 4 moves I’m happy . Go Oil

I wouldn’t mind Arco as a replacement call-up if one of our centers went down in a playoff run.
    But agree he would not be a preferred starter.

59. Pouzar says:

Oh my gawd did they all take hit off the stupid bong this PP???

60. VanOil says:

That power play was bush league.

61. VanOil says:

Oilers young deference (who may get even younger) benefits playing front of a goalie who a) stops pucks and b) communicates well c) plays the pucks well. Peter Schmeichel is the best example of this I can think of, he was a great net-minder who also coached/organized/threatened his defense during ManU’s glory years.

62. stevezie says:

FastOil,

Don’t forget he wants 42 mil over seven years.

denny33:
    G Money,

Exactly.

Seeing people rationalize Edmonton Oiler managment – is quite painful.

If anyone truly feels Marc is the worst forward on the team please say so…

Marc – 18 points – -7
    Sam – 23 points – 18. ( 2 more games played )

And I do like the guy. Hartikainen too. But these aren’t franchise defining moves.

64. VanOil says:

Some one pissed in Petry’s cornflakes this morning. Is he trying to endear himself to the Oilers knuckle dragging fans or just show off toughness to the new guy?

65. "Steve Smith" says:

What are the odds that the Oilers start next season with a fourth line centre better than Arcobello? From here they look very slim.

66. steveb12344 says:

VanOil:

Maybe the added toughness of the recent new guys has not only rubbed off a bit, but has given guys like Petry, Jones etc. the confidence to know they can mix it up a bit, and have teammates that got their back.

67. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: Peter Schmeichel is the best example of this I can think of, he was a great net-minder who also coached/organized/threatened his defense during ManU’s glory years.

I always thought David Beckham, being allowed to fight would have made a sensational hockey player.

1) You know you guys could tweet that stuff at Eakins about Arcobello.

2) Ryan Callahan would never sign in Edmonton when he knows teams like San Jose or St. Louis are interested.

3) Ryan Hamilton and Will Acton have another year on their NHL contracts. So it is sort of an Arcobello vs. Lander decision as to who gets a contract, regardless of whether Arco is UFA or RFA.

4) If I am coach of the Canucks, and Eakins tries really hard for the Fraser-Kassian matchup, I throw the Sedin twins on the ice with Kassian, and go for the easy goal. The way to neutralize Kassian (who isn’t a good hockey player) is to score power play goals.

5) Todd Nelson wants to be an NHL head coach. He has already done the NHL assistant thing. Thus, it is in his best interests to be a head coach in the AHL than an NHL assistant.

VanOil:

The Bruins need a D for the playoffs. And a RD more than a LD. Trade deadline coming up. I’m sure Petry’s agent might have mentioned this to Jeff.

godot10: The Bruins need a D for the playoffs.And a RD more than a LD.Trade deadline coming up.I’m sure Petry’s agent might have mentioned this to Jeff.

71. icecastles says:

Damnit. This Scrivens dude is terrible. Can’t stop anything. Trade him. Waive him.

72. Ducey says:

FastOil:
    Ryan Callahan

GP 39 PTS 21 5’11″ 190 lbs turning 29 soon.

Exactly what the Oilers need.

Sam Gagner

GP 43 PTS 23 5’11″ 199 lbs turning 25 in August.

Gagner costs $4.8 for two more years. Callahan wants $6 million for another 7.

73. Andy P says:

icecastles:

Actually, this time it was the commentators. They jinxed him, I knew it the moment the words came out of their mouths. Bad fairies.

74. Ducey says:

VanOil:

He has been playing rougher and taking the body for about 10 games now.

75. VanOil says:

Fraser should feel right at home with the Oilers playing Toronto style hockey.

Lowetide: If you’re trading Petry then something established and blue better be coming back.

Petry could also be auditioning for an offer sheet this summer. He fits exactly what the Bruins need.

The Bruins’ Cup window is fairly tight.

godot10: Petry could also be auditioning for an offer sheet this summer.He fits exactly what the Bruins need.

78. VanOil says:

Ducey: He has been playing rougher and taking the body for about 10 games now.

Could it be that Petry is playing better because he has a great new partner and that he is playing tougher because he wants to protect the young guy. Keep Petry, Keep him long time.

79. D says:

It’s hilarious watching the Boston feed. Perron is REALLY getting under the skin of the play-by-play announcer. “At least Marchand has X fights – want to guess how many fights Perron has had?” “Over under line is one – take the under!” “If you’re going to run around like Perron, you have to be held accountable sometimes. Hopefully today in Boston.” etc.

Perron is having a nice game here.

Lowetide: Oilers not matching would be insane. They can’t afford to lose their best defenseman.

Eakins has healthy sat Petry a couple of times. Our love is apparently somewhat greater than his.

82. B S says:

No lie, the Boston broadcast is calling Perron dirtier than Marchand. He must have got their wives pregnant or something, because they won’t shut up about him.

83. speeds says:

Lowetide: No one is saying that, but it does get a little tiresome seeing everyone react like we’re losing HOFers here. I’m hopeful Lander makes the team at some point, and believe he would be a better option than Arcobello (if less proven). I’m not seeing Arcobello as being a guy who merits the anger.

While we’re doing “No one is saying that”, no one is saying Arcobello is a projected HOFer either.

84. Ribs says:

Ference being a bit too generous to his old team there.

85. VanOil says:

The Boston commentators hate Perron. Keep Perron.

86. nycoil says:

The Boston announcers on NESN are so biased and annoying. Ugh. Think these Eastern teams love the 1pm ET start against western teams. Oilers look asleep still.

87. "Steve Smith" says:

godot10: Petry could also be auditioning for an offer sheet this summer.

Or he could be playing hard because he is a professional hockey player who is trying to have the greatest positive impact on the game that he can. But that would be boring.

88. B S says:

D,

Yeah, it’s actually starting to piss me off. The only player I can think of who is dirtier than Marchand off the top of my head is Matt Cooke. I mean homer announcers is fine, but I question whether these guys watch hockey.

89. stevezie says:

The look on Eriksson’s face after it was disallowed was pretty funny. “Haha- yeah, I did kick it.”

90. LMHF#1 says:

Ference not doing anything in front of the net as always. Didn’t miss that these past 3 games.

And what a shock, he was on for the first GA.

The guy is terrible defensively.

91. stevezie says:

Edwards loves Hendricks.

92. Andy P says:

I wonder how different this game would be with DD in net.

93. VanOil says:

Those figure skating lessons can not come soon enough for Gazdic.

94. Ribs says:

Jeebus. Trading Petry. Nuts.

You’d have Ference and N.Schultz for guys who’ve played over 200 NHL games left. Petry at 210GP, Fraser next at 162GP.

95. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: Or he could be playing hard because he is a professional hockey player who is trying to have the greatest positive impact on the game that he can.But that would be boring.

I hear he hates Edmonton.

96. refmaksy says:

Does anyone else feel like its been 8 years of yelling at the TV “shoot the puck!”. This is such an easy game, get the puck, shoot it at the net, work hard for the rebound. What the hell? Must be the 11 am game time.

97. Andy P says:

book¡je: I hear he hates Edmonton.

I thought you didn’t believe in gossip? :)

98. "Steve Smith" says:

Andy P,

That’s not what I heard.

99. VanOil says:

That PP was even smellier than the last

100. LMHF#1 says:

refmaksy:

Learn.

101. Andy P says:

I’m teasing Bookje over his 12:21pm comment because I know he detests gossip. Just having some fun, I’m sure Bookje was just being sarcastic.

102. Kitchener says:

Ice is still tilted. Chara is amazing.

103. D says:

B S:
    D,

They probably don’t watch that much. But it’s nice that Perron is getting under them!

104. refmaksy says:

LMHF#1,

By your logic, 5 shots per period for an NHL team is fine as long as we’re making nice passes. I disagree.

105. LMHF#1 says:

refmaksy:
    LMHF#1,

By your logic, 5 shots per period for an NHL team is fine as long as we’re scoring. I disagree.

Fixed.

Ribs:
    Jeebus. Trading Petry. Nuts.

I didn’t say trade Petry. I think that would be a bad idea (unless another GM loses his mind and offers something lopsided.)

I said the Bruins and Petry would be a pretty good match. The only way Petry is going to get paid is by opting for arbitration or generating a little interest for an offer sheet.

107. VanOil says:

Who sabotaged the Oilers sticks this morning?

108. "Steve Smith" says:

refmaksy,

Nobody is saying anything that is being attributed to anybody this thread.

Oilers are not good entertainment today.

110. nycoil says:

Decline the next power play please.

111. Kitchener says:

Scrivens: sign that guy.

112. VanOil says:

That short PP smelled like a Asparagus and Garlic Vindiloo washed down with 4 espresso.

113. Ben says:

It’s really to the point where I’m relieved when we take a penalty and have to go 4 on 4, which is far easier to watch than the festival of derp that is our PP. How can so many professionals make so many bad decisions in so little time?

114. Andy P says:

Andy P:

this was supposed to be a response to Steve’s 12:24pm comment……..

115. Henry says:

The Oilers are addicted to the lazy backhand pass to the point. The Bruins know it.

116. stevezie says:

Considering he is famous for being the biggest homer in hockey, Jack Edwards is surprisingly complimentary toward Oiler players. He seems to really like Eberle.

117. VanOil says:

stevezie:

118. B S says:

stevezie,

Everybody likes eberle, except some oilers fans for some absurd reason. He’s the kind of player good teams trade for. I’ll never understand the talk of trading him away.

119. B S says:

VanOil: Eberle taking on 4 Bruins is a nice display of skill. Yakupov taking on 4 Bruins is ‘that is never going to work in this league’. He sounds like Eakins.

many on this blog do the same thing with Hemsky and Yak.

120. Gerta Rauss says:

We should thank the baby jesus we still have a chance in this game

121. "Steve Smith" says:

B S: many on this blog do the same thing with Hemsky and Yak.

“Steve Smith”: Nobody is saying anything that is being attributed to anybody this thread.

122. cc says:

B S:

This made me laugh. David Perron our resident Frenchman reminds me of Henri on Cheers trying to steal Woody’s girlfirend.

123. Andy P says:

Which Oiler’s stick did Boston score off for that first goal?

Edit: I’m referring to the Lucic interview.

124. icecastles says:

125. nycoil says:

I know he has his perceived warts (not big enough, not strong enough without the puck, doesn’t back check, doesn’t hit, makes a bit too much money), but trading our version of Joey Mullen would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. And his vision with respect to playmaking/passing is becoming better and better.

This team has so many nice things, even though it’s still playing poorly and this season was lost before Halloween. A couple more Petry or better types on the blue and a strong two-way 2C, and another year of experience for these kids and this team is going to go places next year. If they learn to play a little more north-south and a little less dangle, button-hook, drop-pass at the blue line. Not saying they can’t be offensively creative, but mixing it up a bit so it’s less predictable to defend would have great benefits.

126. VanOil says:

Petry CF% 55.6. Team CF% 29. Can Petry play the entire 3d period please.

127. Gerta Rauss says:

Andy P:
    Which Oiler’s stick did Boston score off for that first goal?

Edit: I’m referring to the Lucic interview.

nuge

The corgi’s don’t like Fraser 3-11 5×5

129. VanOil says:

Andy P:
    Which Oiler’s stick did Boston score off for that first goal?

Edit: I’m referring to the Lucic interview.

RNH. Jones had given his to NSchultz

130. icecastles says:

The corgi’s don’t like Fraser 3-11 5×5

Maybe he’s more of a cat person.

131. Andy P says:

Gerta Rauss: nuge

Thank you.

From young Willis

15: +4/-3 19: +4/-3 85: +1/-2 2: +1/-2 5: +1/-6 21: +1/-7

133. VanOil says:

What the Oilers are doing to the Corgi’s with an assist from Sarah Mclachlan http://youtu.be/OSDRbX0zK6o

134. B S says:

cc,
    I love this blog. I can’t be sure of the last time I saw a Cheers reference, possibly 5 years ago, I think we sang the theme in the office (which was odd because none of us were older than 25)

icecastles: I don’t think anyone said that. (Not saying, just saying. Know what I’m saying?)

135. icecastles says:

B S: Are you saying that no-one is saying what anyone else is saying, or is that what Steve was saying?

That’s what she said.

136. "Steve Smith" says:

I haven’t said anything all season.

137. nycoil says:

How long was that last shift by Marincin? Wow.

138. Kitchener says:

I like Arco and hope he stays in the system. Looking at the surface (tiny, mid-20′s, frequent scratch on the Oil) it’s hard to imagine a lot of interest from other teams.

139. "Steve Smith" says:

From young Willis

15: +4/-3 19: +4/-3 85: +1/-2 2: +1/-2 5: +1/-6 21: +1/-7

Despite this, Oilers announcers hailing Fraser’s strong first two periods.

140. VanOil says:

“Steve Smith”: Despite this, Oilers announcers hailing Fraser’s strong first two periods.

He brought that strong defensive positioning from TO.

141. prairieschooner says:

I like the Arcobello story but it appears he is not a fit in the eyes of the big brains (Oilers management)
    He must have decent trade value

prairieschooner:
    He must have decent trade value

143. VanOil says:

Scrivens’ week mirabilis will probably be worth a lottery win over the course of his next contract.

144. VanOil says:

VanOil:

Jinxed it, my fault. Sorry.

145. LMHF#1 says:

Goal against = Ference on the ice. In front, doing nothing, again.

Not exempting Marincin on that one, but wow for a veteran Ference is a joke sometimes.

146. Ribs says:

I don’t blame Ference for that one. He forced the play to the outside. Bad/weird bounce and it’s in.

Lowetide: There’s no evidence at all the Oilers won’t bring him back. They would have had to play him a lot this season to keep him from free agency. Full stop. It does NOT mean they can’t re-sign him. Any time.

The Oilers, in a lost season, are playing Ryan Smyth at centre ahead of him. It took MacT a long time to swallow that 2-year contract he gave to Will Acton on the advice of his coach, before they would play Arco ahead of him.

148. book¡je says:

Andy P:

Safe assumption.

149. book¡je says:

Marincin and Ferrence looked bad on that goal.

150. book¡je says:

He had a 72% trucalence per 60.

151. VanOil says:

Yak benched?

152. book¡je says:

Somebody needs to fix the PP

153. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1:
    Goal against = Ference on the ice. In front, doing nothing, again.

Oilers on the other hand love typing in a players pedigree based on wishful thinking, which leads us annually to return to this winter death march.

154. Kitchener says:

155. B S says:

Bruins are playing 3 low, only one pressuring the points. Anyone else wondering why the Oil don’t have two on the points?

156. D says:

Justin Schultz has been steady on the point during the PP.

157. flyfish1168 says:

A1 give away by Gagner again

158. hunter1909 says:

Kitchener: Looking for positives in the face of a superior opponent

Boston play an entertaining style of defensive hockey. Oilers are getting themselves a lesson in hockey by a recent cup champion.

159. D says:

There is little to like about Gagner’s game today.

160. jake70 says:

Unforced errors abound today. Top line turning over everything.

161. G Money says:

LMHF#1: Almost everyone who does this is wrong about either the ability to get the puck on net or that shooting is the best decision at the time. These are the same people who yell at the games live, just as a gorgeous pass is made (see Eberle to Hall against SJ) to set up a goal. They never learn.

Learn.

That’s not *this* team.

*This* team passes up chances to shoot from the home plate area with clear sight lines to the net in favour of a low percentage pass (presumably in attempt to get on Highlight of the Night). Yes, when it works its a thing of beauty. It rarely works. The result is usually a turnover, and what should have been a dangerous chance becomes a non-chance. Sometimes even a chance the other way. Rinse and repeat.

The Oilers are 26th in the league in SF per game. Cries of “shoot” are well justified.

162. flyfish1168 says:

Kitchener: Looking for positives in the face of a superior opponent, here’s my question: who has been EDM’s most resilient player today?I’ve liked Hall’s game because of the chances he’s created. Jultz and Gagner have also looked pretty good.

Looks like Yak is benched again in the 3rd.

163. LMHF#1 says:

hunter1909: You have a point. Still, Boston was able to win the cup using him, just not as captain + top pairing defenceman.

And he just did the same thing again…

Sit him.

164. B S says:

crap, looks like Scrivens just figured out what team he’s playing for.

165. D says:

Is Ference still playing for the Bruins?

166. book¡je says:

Perron would sit for that if he were Russian.

167. jfry says:

carlyle said yesterday that after fraser got hit in the head in last year’s playoffs with a puck, that he’s never been the same player. he plays more hesistant, has lost foot speed and appears to be making different reads.

fraser was one of the big surprises of last year’s NHL season, i’d say. this looks a lot like a trade where we acquire a hurting version of peckham (with health not food issues), and TO actually gets the best player in Teemu.

168. LMHF#1 says:

G Money: If the team was passing up shooting in order to make a pass that created an even better chance, I’d agree with you.

That’s not *this* team.

*This* team passes up chances to shoot from the home plate area with clear sight lines to the net in favour of a low percentage pass (presumably in attempt to get on Highlight of the Night).Yes, when it works its a thing of beauty.It rarely works.The result is usually a turnover, and what should have been a dangerous chance becomes a non-chance.Sometimes even a chance the other way.Rinse and repeat.

The Oilers are 26th in the league in SF per game.Cries of “shoot” are well justified.

169. Andy P says:

OK I’m done now.

170. D says:

I’m going to go watch the 88 Cup final on YouTube to feel better about myself. Have a good weekend everyone.

171. LMHF#1 says:

On for 4 goals and the disallowed goal now.

They were winning without him and nearly came back in the game he left…

Eakins needs to open his eyes.

172. VanOil says:

flyfish1168: All of Halls shots have been from the peripheral. A few cause chaos when he missed the net. Needs to shot to create rebounds. Few shots from out there ever goes in.

Looks like Yak is benched again in the 3rd.

Agreed

A theory (but not a solution) to Halls poor Dog sitting this year.
    Hall, using the technique and stick technology that has doomed large immobile goalies like Dubnyk, often fires the puck off the rush top corner near side.

173. flyfish1168 says:

Yak gets a shift now that its game over. Interesting who eakins trust. Still don’t agree with his coaching methods.

174. G Money says:

LMHF#1: They fail miserably, both 5-on-5 and especially on the PP, at creating shooting lanes. They are not good enough to consistently get to them.

I agree that they do not do a good job of consistently creating shooting lanes.

However, it is also true that they regularly create shooting lanes and then pass instead of shooting. I usually count five or more such opportunities a game. If they took advantage of half of those, the Oilers would be a midpack shooting team instead of a bottom tier team.

One of the reasons Yak has looked better in the last handful of games is that he’s overcome the “pass instead of shoot” disease and just takes the shot. One of the reasons Perron leads the team in goals is he is also a willing shooter. He doesn’t create more, he just shoots more. We need more of that, not less.

175. flyfish1168 says:

VanOil: AgreedA theory (but not a solution) to Halls poor Dog sitting this year.Hall, using the technique and stick technology that has doomed large immobile goalies like Dubnyk, often fires the puck of the rush top corner near side.Hall has every right as one of the leagues great scorers to take that shot. But the consequence of a miss is the same as the Defense hitting hard around the boards. So either his wingers need to adapt to this tendency which would mean they are not in position for a pass or Hall needs to take shot that is less likely to go in but more likely to stay in the zone. Like Hamilton did on his rush that led to a wrap around goal.I am not sure if taming Halls talent in this way is a good idea. But, it would help out the Corgis. Nuge and Eberle are adept enough to bang in therebounds so it should not hurt the teams goal scoring only maybe Halls.

Tough call good points. I guess I rather create chances then possible give up chances. If anything he needs to mix it up and watch where his teams are for support.

176. G Money says:

And before anyone gets their shorts in a knot that I attributed you saying we need to shoot less, I’m not saying that! :-D

I’m saying “shoot more, not less” because this is a team that is not very good and needs to change things up. In terms of changing our shoot vs pass ratio, we need to bias the ratio towards more shooting, not more passing.

The status quo is not an option because the status quo smells like Asparagus pee.

177. jfry says:

G Money,

looks like Gmoney is forever in the books as the guy who says we need to shoot less ;)

178. VanOil says:

Buffalo is showing poise and determination is staying beneath us in the standings. Losing 0-3 in the first to the Avs.

179. stevezie says:

On the upside, Fraser’s ice-time shows Eakins knows who he is.

180. justDOit says:

Sam was a play killer today. Not sure how you can trade him, if he keeps putting in performances like that. MacT still has a compliance buyout left, no? That will take a large serving of crow for MacT to buy out one of his own contracts.

181. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Bingo. That is the exact context.

Sure I thought at the time there’s enough here to play him ahead of Acton and find out quickly if he’s going to be an every day miracle. But after 1 NHL game on the first 2 years, what are the odds you deliver 68 games in year 3 to lock him up. Sure it dropped from slim to zero when they went with Acton. Had they gone the other way and he stays injury and slump free long enough why should anyone fear that he turns down an early extension in hopes of riding the pine enough to be Group 6?

182. G Money says:

jfry,

I’m pretty sure I said the Oilers need to eat more asparagus. I’m pretty sure G Agner said the other thing.

justDOit:

Compliance buyouts can only be used on contracts signed before the new CBA. Only regular buyouts are available for post-new-CBA contracts.

So, a compliance buyout is NOT available for Gagner.

184. fifthcartel says:

MacKinnon with 3 points today, on pace for 30 goals and 60 points. Did they finish last on all the wrong years?

185. flyfish1168 says:

fifthcartel,

Starting to wonder that myself. We can have another redo this year

186. The Great One says:

fifthcartel,

And Landeskog is outscoring Hopkins.

187. Marcus Oilerius says:

Let’s stop before we start comparing Murray and Yakupov.

188. justDOit says:

The Great One:
    fifthcartel,

And Landeskog is outscoring Hopkins.

Because comparing players on teams that are 31 points apart in the standings, is perfectly logical.

189. The Great One says:

justDOit,

I would be interested in why you think one team has 31 more points than the other considering the team with more points is 28th in spending, also has a new GM and a new coach and has drafted lower than the Oilers (3 top 10 picks in the last 10 years while the Oilers have drafted 6 times in the top 10 in the same decade)?

One possible and, very logical, conclusion is that the team with 31 more points has better players.

190. VanOil says:

191. teddyturnbuckle says:

fifthcartel,

Definitely the Yakupov year. Nathan is something special, probably an equal to Hall and Nuge. The good news is that we are going to get another shot at the number one this year. While we are at the bottom we might as well go for McDavid next year as well. What’s one more year of suck in 9 years?

192. Ducey says:

VanOil:

That is great news! Maybe there will be a big car crash outside your tenement and really make your day.

193. gogliano says:

Eberle, RNH, and Hall have more points than any Vancouver Canuck.

Sophomore Nail Yakupov has more goals than Henrik Sedin.

Alexander Burrows is tied with Luke Gazdic in points.

David Perron has 19 times more goals than Pascal Pelletier.

194. VanOil says:

Ducey: That is great news!Maybe there will be a big car crash outside your tenement and really make your day.

Well I will be going to dinner with an accident/injury lawyer so it would kind of work for me.

VanOil:

I can’t wait to read Willis next year when Buchberger becomes head coach of the OKC Barons.

MacT has to put him somewhere.

196. Andy P says:

VanOil: The always rational, occasionally snarky and rarely bitter and jaded Willis losing his shit over at ON has made the poor stat to this day better. http://oilersnation.com/2014/2/1/unacceptable

You know how sometimes a person is so pissed it’s not even worth talking? You just have to stand back and let them cool down eventually. Jon is that pissed.

Which is a pity, because we have started to see some essential improvements in the buy-in of the core. We’ve also seen increasingly good pieces added – Perron, Scrivens, Hendricks.

Wasn’t Boston just a perfect storm? Top Eastern Team playing bottom (Western) team on a Time Zone shifted, lunch time game, fresh from a 100 shot, 60 minute drubbing by the SJS who walked them up and down the rink during the course of the Scrivens Save-a-thon.

They held themselves in for 2 whole periods, then the emotional and physical fatigue took over, and budda boom budda bang! 3 shots go in the net.

Now if this happens in Buff, different story. But after the two games prior to the SJS show, I can live with this loss if they beat the Sabres.

Now someone buy Jon a beer!

197. stubblejumper says:

I’m in the “raged” pile regarding Arco. Not really raged, but disappointed. Eakins goes on and on about earning your ice time and this kid has. There’s a number of areas where he’s better than Gagner at 2C despite his size. e.g Faceoffs, hits, skating, checking and puck retrieval. Plus he has better hockey sense in positioning himself in better areas of the ice. I’s extremely disappointed in Gagner’s play this season. He’s now a veteran centre. Still struggling greatly to win a FO, giveaways etc. He won’t hit.. I was a fan of Gagner until this year, but he’s become complacent and content to lose. With his play, his NMC and also the suckage of this team, I hope he’s on MacT’s bold move list. At the top actually. Need a guy like Coligano..