OILERS AT DEVILS G60, 13-14

On December 27, the Oilers were 39GP, 12-24-3. In the 20 games since, Edmonton is 8-9-3. In their last 10: 5-4-1. Last night’s game offered some hope, and from some of the bright young faces on the team. Nail Yakupov, Martin Marincin, Taylor Hall. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

LAST NIGHT, CHANCE RULED extra skater oilers

That top line rumbled and the top pairing did too. I thought the other lines had their moments, but Smyth and Ryan Jones were setting the woods on fire too, and I thought the young man Gazdic did a nice thing or two as well. Among the rest, Andrew Ference made plays good and bad (reflected here) and Mark Fraser had his best game as an Oiler—and it still wasn’t any good. Scrivens? Sign. the. man.

TAYLOR HALL PLAYER CARD

hall player card

There were some backchecks and forechecks and battles won last night, and the winning goal involved Hall using skill and determination to get a split second of clearance for the setup to be arranged. He had three games of Corsi 5×5 for’s in the 30′s before last night, so he was due. The fact he can do this on the road, against a pretty good team (according to the standings and the last 20 games) like the Rangers? Here’s hoping these last 21 games rock and roll.

gagner common1

RUMORS

I heard some chatter yesterday afternoon about low-life’s making up rumors, and I agree. People who make crap up for the sake of it should have their blogger license revoked. However, yesterday’s information didn’t come from bloggers, didn’t come from layabouts, didn’t come from hippies, didn’t come from Sochi toilets. I would like to remind everyone about how the Sam Gagner rumors got started yesterday:

• AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Oilers and Kings working on another trade. Hearing Sam Gagner to LA is very close
  • AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Kyle Clifford the expected return for Edmonton if Gagner deal goes through.
  • AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Further to earlier tweets, a 2nd source told me the Oilers would get more than Clifford from LA if Gagner deal is completed.
  • AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Kings are tight to the cap & could delay until after the Olympic break. Oilers would retain part of Gagner’s salary in any deal.
  • Bob McKenzie, TSN: Interesting tweets from @AJonSports regarding possible deal between LA and EDM involving Gagner and Clifford. Also hearing this possible.
  • Bob McKenzie, TSN: It’s complicated because of LA’s cap issues — EDM would have to retain salary? — and LA may have to give up another piece. Stay tuned.
  • Bob McKenzie, TSN: BTW, @mayorNHL reported earlier this week that LA was looking at sending Clifford and a draft pick to EDM for Gagner.
  • Bob McKenzie, TSN: To be clear, I can’t assure you Clifford + a pick or prospect for Gagner + EDM retaining $ is guaranteed to happen but it’s being discussed.

No bloggers here, folks. I think it behooves the discerning reader to track back the rumor—is the person claiming to have specific knowledge or are they discussing the possibilities? On the LDWLT, I mentioned Dwight King, Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, Tanner Pearson, Alec Martinez, Tyler Toffoli, Derek Forbort. No one in any official capacity gave me those names, and so I didn’t say “I have heard from a credible source” and that’s an easy line to draw as a broadcaster (and as a listener). If someone is telling you a trade is imminent, and that Kyle Clifford is coming to the Oilers 100% certain, check their bio. Do they have connections? This is a pretty easy item to figure out.

And on the other hand, if McKenzie says “Clifford + a pick or prospect for Gagner + EDM retaining $ is guaranteed to happen but it’s being discussed” then it’s being discussed.

NOT A RUMOR, JUST A THOUGHT

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

lane1

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Olympics, trade deadline, God knows.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings play by play. The train keeps a rollin’
  • Rob Soria, Oil Drop. Is this 5-4-1 streak all about goaltending? Or is there something else?
  • FC Edmonton. Getting closer to the start of camp and the players are rolling into town.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter. Olympics! We’ll talk about the media coverage and the early events.

10-1260 text and @Lowetide_ twitter. See you on the radio!

300 Responses to "OILERS AT DEVILS G60, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. PhrankLee says:

Nail with a shot from the high slot on a feed from Hall. That boy has a .50 cal blast. Waiting 60 games to see it is more than worrisome. It treads on ignorant, imho. Tyler has a good article on this juxtaposed with Wasingtons PP.

PhrankLee:

Feed was from Gagner, but yes.

3. Jordan says:

Hi LT – Any reason you think the Oilers are interested in Jake specifically? I mean, based on the info available, he’d be a nice pickup, but… seems to come out of the blue to mention him with everything else going on. What’s up?

Jordan:
    Hi LT – Any reason you think the Oilers are interested in Jake specifically?I mean, based on the info available, he’d be a nice pickup, but… seems to come out of the blue to mention him with everything else going on.What’s up?

Nothing inside, just a feeling about progess. I have them (1-5) Ekbland, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle and have been trying to settle on #6. He’s it.

5. thejonrmcleod says:

Richard Cloutier @rdcloutier

6. PhrankLee says:

Ok. Have not had time to watch closely. Thanks. I just saw Hall doing good work behind the net and a glimpse of the shot on my mobile. Stand humbly corrected. LT do you think Tyler has a good point re:PP deployment?

PhrankLee:

Ok. Have not had time to watch closely. Thanks. I just saw Hall doing good work behind the net and a glimpse of the shot on my mobile. Stand humbly corrected.LT do you think Tyler has a good point re:PP deployment?

8. anonymous says:

If Eakins sticks with it a big finish by Hall and Yak could take us out of the top three picks. For the second year in a row. Guess I’m ok with that.

9. Doug McLachlan says:

You know 92 pts probably still gets us the 8th spot ;-)

10. frjohnk says:

Wow!, Ekblad minus 6 last night! But its just one game.

Depending on what happens over last 23 games, the oilers could be drafting anywhere from 1st to 6th. Looking at a guy like Virtanen I think is a good idea if they are drafting 5th or 6th. Perron has two years left after this year and then becomes a UFA. Virtanen could slide in nicely by then.

Even though they need a 2nd line center, I don’t think Draisatl is the guy. He puts up points against weak teams and does not stand out on the ice. He is big, but does not use body like he could, skating could be better, and not the quickest. If the oilers pick him, I hope Im wrong.

11. Melman says:

Missed the game – did Eakins keep 3x#1 together most of the game? Or did 89 & 93 get flipped at some point (b/c goal)? I’m guessing no based on the corgis of 89,14,57. Trainers will have a bad time washing the stink out of those pants for tonight.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“And on the other hand, if McKenzie says “Clifford + a pick or prospect for Gagner + EDM retaining $ is guaranteed to happen but it’s being discussed” then it’s being discussed.”

note: I’d put the “I can’t assure you” clause from the original quote back in. Adds some crucial context. :)

13. sliderule says:

The oilers have to change their setup on power play.

Washington like oilers sets up on right side and this gives Ovy on the left side a clear lane .

The oilers have their two best shots Hall and Yak on right side which is their overload side.This allows defenders to crowd them and block shots.

They need to move their overload to left side while leaving them on right to give them room and lanes for their shot.This is set up the Isles use to set up Tavares for one timers.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I think the Oilers probably like this guy a lot. MacT, Stu MacGregor and Brad Davis were at this game last night, so I imagine they saw Bennett good and Ekblad bad.”

I’m guessing they weren’t putting a tick mark next to the goalies in their scouting notes.

15. goldenchild says:

thejonrmcleod: LT, I think you’ve said before that you think Cloutier might have some inside knowledge. I’m skeptical, but here’s what he told me yesterday.Richard Cloutier @rdcloutier@jonrmcleod oilers wanted Clifford plus Toffoli and kings aren’t willing to do it. Still negotiating

Yesterday was a strange day, I think the Clifford rumors angered so many of us so much because the way this team has been run for the last 5 years trading a devalued but still valuable offensively capable young player like Gagner for a big but limited 4th line player seemed entirely plausible because we have seen those types of moves over and over again. The trade Jon mentions makes you feel a little better, Toffoli has some pedigree and should bring some offense and while I haven’t loved every move MacT has made and haven’t liked some of the choices for the bottom 3 forwards or bottom pairing D, maybe we don’t need to worry about every rumor the we way we did with Tambolini. I am going to reserve my outrage until an actual bad deal is made, otherwise I am hopeful MacT can get close to value, there is no reason to rush a Gagner deal, stay firm on asking price.

Loved Yak last night, tenacious on the puck, got into open spaces to get that great shot off and skated hard all night, hall also played one of his best games in a long while. Run them together the rest of the year and see what shakes out.

Very interesting to see that it looked like Eakins was running the PP groups very close to the suggestions Tyler had in his article, would like to see them get a few more chances tonight to see a better look at how the 2 units are constructed.

16. thejonrmcleod says:

goldenchild,

Pronman ranked Toffoli as the Kings’ #1 prospect.

17. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

My preference is we trade this years 1st pick for a bonafide player, but if we slide to 5th or lower, we gotta lock in trading it for sure don’t we?

18. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: I think there are many ways to make the PP hum, Tyler’s point about Yak is well taken. I do think they have to arrive at the conclusion that maybe Hall needs to be on the 2pp and push the rver 5×5. He’s a much better 5×5 player than a PP contributor.

Good point. Especially if Coach can get him out there on the fly after 40 seconds or so. I would be terrified as a defender to notice 4 joining the play after my first wind was gone.

19. goldenchild says:

thejonrmcleod,

Then that certainly makes sense and if thats what MacT is asking for its getting value. Clifford and a 3rd or Clifford and a marginal prospect/player isnt and I think thats what most of us worry about because its exactly what Tambolini would do. If your asking for Voyonov don’t settle for Teubert. I’m encouraged that MacT seems to get this.

20. Moose says:

I keep looking at the moves MacT has been making recently (Scrivens, Hendricks, Fraser) and wondering if these aren’t designed in a short term solution for long term gain sense. In other words, while some of these guys may not actually be the answer to our issues or even be here beyond this year, they fit the template of the type of player MacT/Eakins want so it’s almost as if they’re saying, let’s plug these guys in now and give the young guys a vision of what it’s like to have real goaltending, some size and toughness, win a few games and hopefully imprint something positive going forward.

I know it doesn’t replace having better NHL hockey players, but culling some expendable assets and mid round picks in a lost season in an effort to change the mindset of this hopeless operation doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

Cue 3 year Fraser extension, and Gagner for Clifford deal.

21. Protagonist says:

I’d like to acquire Toffoli much more than Clifford, but getting them both and I’d be willing to eat a bit of Gagners salary. I can’t help but wonder, in the event that we do acquire Toffoli, if we might have been able to recapture some of the chemistry he had with Martindale. We seem to have drafted the Pouliot to Toffoli’s Crosby in Martindale, but having them both together might have reignited our failed draftpick. One can only wonder what if.

22. Caramel Obvious says:

On the Gagner rumours, Clifford + Toffoli is a decent trade for the Oilers. In 71 games at the AHL level as a 20 and 21 year old Toffoli has 67 points, with more goals than assists. That’s a track record of someone who can score in the NHL.

So long as it doesn’t involve retaining too much salary that’s a decent deal. Sign Boyd Gordon 2.0 in the offseason (say Marcel Goc) and you have the potential for three solid lines, with good two-way play at center, and the scoring coming from the wings.

Hall–Hopkins–Yakupov
    Perron–Goc–Eberle
    Hendricks–Gordon–Hemsky if re-signed Toffoli if not
    Clifford–Arcobello/Lander–(Toffoli)

That’s a playoff forward group, I think. Re-sign Scrivens as the goalie, and you are only two D away.

Any trade that doesn’t involve Toffoli, on the other hand, is much less likely to be a good deal.

23. russ99 says:

Moose,

3 year Fraser extension?? Yikes. Didn’t everyone watch the game last night? I’d rather see Peckham back than that. He’ll likely get a one year two-way deal from someone else this summer.

Good post, and I agree with your line of thinking, but IMO it’s less to give the young guys a vision of what it’s like to have real goaltending, size and toughness, and more to give Eakins a chance to succeed despite being handicapped by his assistants and tuned out by his players.

24. Lois Lowe says:

Eberle’s been off for a few games by my eye. He hasn’t had many of his slippery good looks in the slot that we’ve become used to.

I am not concerned about Ekblad, at this point he’s consensus top 3, it’s just a matter of where the Oiler’s pick now. He could have been sick, hungover, or pining after a lady last night.

25. russ99 says:

Caramel Obvious,

Maybe by pushing for Toffoli, they’ll be able to talk them into Vey…

If this is true, good to see MacT lead with a strong offer vs. a shrewd GM who could easily take him to the cleaners.

26. The Great One says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 25s

27. russ99 says:

Holy cow, Kris Letang had a stroke? Jeez. Forget that trade rumor…

28. Moose says:

russ99,

I was kidding about Fraser extension, but you’re probably right about Eakins.

29. justDOit says:

The Great One:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger25s

Hopefully by ‘buzz’, he didn’t mean hockeybuzzzzzzzz…

30. justDOit says:

russ99,

They said that he has a small hole in his heart, but I’m not sure if that’s the possible cause or not.

31. gcw_rocks says:

On the Ekblad – Bennett game, hey its a good thing MacT hasn’t made snap judgements based on single game viewings in the past. Oh, wait…

On Gagner, If its Clifford and a pick coming back, welcome to Rebuild 3.0 and Katz can start calling next year Year One rather than Year Five.

The light at the end of the tunnel for the Gagner trade is a train steaming right towards the Oilers based on these rumours.

32. russ99 says:

justDOit,

Wow. Hard to imagine that guys in such peak physical shape could have such problems.

Hope he’s gonna be OK.

33. DeadmanWaking says:

frjohnk:

Even losing a rung due to the lottery ball, sixth remains a distant bell. The bigger reason to keep our eyes on the sixth rung is that one of the five players presently hugging the pole sinks to his knees during the stretch drive.

On the standard models, it’s about 1% that we finish sixth and pick there and about 1% we finish fifth, then pick sixth.

Immediately after the equinox, we’ll be seeing way too many ducks. But who knows, maybe Scrivens can pull off 177 saves on 180 shots over the three-game stretch-drive series, while he verbals this or that green cup of coffee to Do the Right Thing and he flops around flipping off those flocking birds like scalding ravens always do.

34. gcw_rocks says:

goldenchild,

Toffoli is a RW that probably needs to play on an offensive line to be successful. Not sure why getting yet another offensive RW helps. That only makes sense if the Oilers are planning to trade Yak or Eberle as well, and I just haven’t seen anything from MacT that he thinks more than one move at a time. .

35. Ducey says:

The concern over the power play is overblown.

The Oilers have 35 PP goals. Thats 14th. If they had 2 more they would be tied for eighth. They are not in the mess they are in now due to the absence of 2 PP goals.

I know someone is going to say you have to look at percentage. Well, you don’t, because ultimately we are looking at what net benefit they derive from the PP. Even if you look at percentage, you will see that if they were just 2.4% more effective, they would have 5 more goals and would be 10th in percentage.

Are they in 29th because they are short 5 PP goals?

Frankly, the concern should be with all the shorties they are giving up. Putting Yak on the point doesn’t work. He doesn’t shoot enough and is terrible defensively. Nashville’s entire PP consists of trying to get the puck to Weber for a point shot. The Oilers need a defenseman back there who can get a big shot thru. Their constant attempt to get the puck down low is pretty predictable. They need to mix it up. They should be trying to get Marincin out there and let him tee it up every once and awhile.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For a good look at how Kings fans (the smart ones) value their cupboards in the run up the deadline have a read:

37. fuzzy muppet says:

Omark on Waivers per twitter.

Looks like no draft pick after all

38. Ducey says:

DeadmanWaking: Even losing a rung due to the lottery ball, sixth remains a distant bell.The bigger reason to keep our eyes on the sixth rung is that one of the five players presently hugging the pole sinks to his knees during the stretch drive.

Immediately after the equinox, we’ll be seeing way too many ducks.But who knows, maybe Scrivens can pull off 177 saves on 180 shots over the three-game stretch-drive series, while he verbals this or that green cup of coffee to Do the Right Thing and he flops around flipping off those flocking birds like scalding ravens always do.

My guess is that the Oilers will finish ahead of BUF, NYI and FLA.

NYI are going to get rid of Vanek and their top D man, MacDonald. They are suddenly just 2 goals ahead of the Oilers for worst goals against.

Tom Glibert is 1 off the point lead for FLA – enough said.

39. justDOit says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Omark on Waivers per twitter.

Looks like no draft pick after all

Claim him, and reunite with Lander in OKC?

40. Ducey says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Omark on Waivers per twitter.

Looks like no draft pick after all

MacT can claim him back and trade him for even more this time!

He already cleared waivers with the Oilers. I guess he has to do it with his new team too?

41. Racki says:

Reclaim Omark and put him down like a stray dog in Sochi!

Or avoid him completely, preferably. It turns out that the other crappiest team in the NHL can’t find a use for him either… Go figure

42. Ben says:

Letang had a 4 goal game?!

43. Racki says:

Ben:
    Letang had a 4 goal game?!

Ooh I see what you did there… Lol

44. Lucinius says:

Ducey,

The problem with the powerplay is two-fold and is, imo, worth complaining about. First (and most seriously) is the issue that the powerplay has given up an inordinate number of short handed goals and short-handed opportunities that were high grade chances to score (as you mention). Part of it has been players making idiotic choices, but part of it has been coaching/system based, largely because Eakins doesn’t seem to have a clue how to run a proper five man unit based on the players he actually has. Stapling certain players (RNH) to a certain position no-matter-what, despite that player not tearing it up there, is the height of stupidity/stubbornness and a mark of a bad coach.

Secondly, the powerplay could, and should, be doing much better, especially in the shots-generated aspect. The powerplay seems intent on doing two things; excessive, pointless passing (often resulting in bone-head passed that lead to a turn-over or the puck getting sent down to the Oiler end) — and by pointless I mean they aren’t taking advantage of the passes by moving around to stretch out the pkers, often the passes are between stationary players — and weak point shots into the shins of the pkers.

The powerplay lacks movement and awareness from the players and tactical thinking from the coaching. It should be a top 10 powerplay, period. It isn’t. That’s a failure, and when you throw in the short handed goals and chances? Abysmal failure despite the number of goals for scored.

45. spoiler says:

The Great One: Oilers aren’t eager to retain salary in Gagner trade and are believed to be receiving interest from other teams based on the buzz…

Exactly my point yesterday. Too much rumour was there that we had to expect some of it was MacT negotiating through the media. All the other GMs do it and its what keeps guys like Kypreos eating for another year. Good to see from MacT.

46. book¡je says:

justDOit: Claim him, and reunite with Lander in OKC?

He would have to clear waivers again and Buffalo could claim him back and send him to the minors. Essentially, the waiver system gives every team the opportunity to claim a player and keep him in the NHL before they can be sent to the AHL. The only way you get sent to the AHL is if no team wishes to keep you in the NHL. Note that there is a cost to claiming someone off of waivers and it is meaningful, ranging from $7000 for a very experienced player to $70,000 for someone who just became waiver eligible.

47. Hammers says:

Still think when the season is lost as ours is the team plays a looser style. If I’m right evaluating players becomes harder . Look at Jones as an example , he has been tougher , hard on the puck , hits on a regular basis . He didn’t normally play that way so has he changed his style or what . For me his trade value has gone up hopefully for a 3rd . Another player is Scrivens . I never watched this guy with either Toronto or LA so why did they both let him go . Has he all of a sudden become the second coming or is his real value a backup . My point is when we evaluate players you have to look closely at there total body of work not a ten game blip .

48. justDOit says:

book¡je,

I didn’t think you could reclaim a player that you just lost on waivers. As for the cost, I’m pretty sure it’s pretty much negligible in the Katz scheme of things, and OKC could use some help down the stretch run.

49. book¡je says:

Per the rumour thing.

The only thing that drives me crazy regarding rumours is when a rumour comes out suggesting ‘Gagner for Clifford’ and then people start saying thing such as “MacTavish is an idiot…”. For me a few words make all of the difference, so “If the trade turns out to be Gagner for Clifford than MacTavish is an idiot…”

There is a world of difference between those things.

I actually find the problem is worse for retrospective trades that didn’t happen. We hear rumours about what the Oilers offered for someone, and then take it as fact when that rumour may actually be missing out on key elements of the deal.

thejonrmcleod:

Richard Cloutier @rdcloutier

Makes waaaaay more sense.

I can see Lombardi not wanting to part with Toffoli, he’s the goods.

51. book¡je says:

justDOit:
    book¡je,

I am pretty sure you can reclaim that player IF the team that claimed him try to send him down to the AHL. I could be wrong.

spoiler: Exactly my point yesterday.Too much rumour was there that we had to expect some of it was MacT negotiating through the media.All the other GMs do it and its what keeps guys like Kypreos eating for another year.Good to see from MacT.

“Were close to getting Gagner for Clifford Garth, you need to lower your ask on Vanek”

Or something along those lines.

53. justDOit says:

book¡je,

Well, let’s just leave the details of the CBA up to Ricky – I’m sure he’s got a handle on it.

54. book¡je says:

Ok, here it is

“13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
    in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
    successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
    to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
    asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
    and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
    claim.”

Basically, what it says in this case is that Omark either stays in the NHL after being claimed by another team OR ends up in Buffalo’s AHL affiliate IF Buffalo would rather have him play on their affiliate as opposed to letting another team claim him and send him down.

55. The Great One says:

book¡je: I am pretty sure you can reclaim that player IF the team that claimed him try to send him down to the AHL.I could be wrong.

You can.

I recall STL and the Oilers played ping pong with Taylor Chorney a couple of years ago.

56. ironsight says:

57. justDOit says:

billab¡ehours,

Thx for that.

58. Ryan says:

Lucinius,

Isn’t Bucky coaching the PP?

Bucky and Steve Smith must have pics of Katz doing some very bad things for that type of job security for a whole lotta suck.

59. Truth Movement says:

Good Lord Mark Spector is inane.

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 33m
    Throw L.Omark on Oilers pile marked: Loved by Bloggers. Alongside, R.Nilsson, R.Schremp, T.Gilbert, G.Brule, T.Hartikainen

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 26m
    True. 1 good season in a row. Bravo. RT @NateShenner: Tom Gilbert is killing it this year. Absolute bargain

60. FastOil says:

Does anyone think there may be a chance to move Gagner to the Avs? He has a french name after all and there have been rumours around Stastny and O’Reilly.

61. Ryan says:

ironsight:
    It’s interesting that everyone keeps pointing to Toffoli as the prospect that must be the centrepiece of this deal.What about Nikolai Prokhorkin?4th rd pick in 2012 is 22nd in the KHL in scoring, and tops amongst legit NHL prospects (ahead of even Burmistrov).He was listed as a winger on draft day, but he’s taken the most faceoffs on that team this season, and looks to be centering a line with Radulov. He’s listed anywhere between 6’1″ and 6’4″.He had an ugly contract dispute that kept him out of the lineup for much of last season, but he’s tearing the cover off the ball this year.What’s more, he’s described as a hard-nosed two-way player.He may be of some interest, and may not come at the premium of a guy like Toffoli.

I don’t get the Toffoli aspect. Why do we need another RW so bad?

How about a dman instead lol.

62. Lois Lowe says:

There was nary a blogger that liked Schremp. He was nicknamed The Hockey Jesus FFS. I don’t recall people being enamoured with Brule or Rowbert either. I love how facts don’t get in the way for Spector.

63. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: If that’s the proposed deal, then its Gagner for Toffoli with The Big Red Dog as the topper.

Makes waaaaay more sense.

I can see Lombardi not wanting to part with Toffoli, he’s the goods.

Bang on WG.

PP goals is Offensive gravy
    11-12 season
    fwd 1-5 18-13Goals
    fwd 6-25 12-10 goals
    fwd 26-60 8-7 goals.

Even Goals drive the GF for a team.
    Lak 13-14 EVG
    Carter 49gm 14G 30th
    Kopitar 59 gm 10G 100th
    Williams 59gm 10G100th
    Toffoli 39gm 10G 100th
    King 59gm 9G 125th
    Brown 58gm 9G 125th

Toffoli’s 10G 39 is same pace as Perron and Hall.
    Plus toffoli has scoring pedigree in OHL and AHL.
    What Gm trades that kind of Player

toffoli + for gagner is dilusional.

64. jb says:

Gagner for a prospect and a 4th liner who’s propped up by a solid team? No way.

People need to wake up and realize the MacT and Tambellini era’s are completely separate with different goals in mind. Your delusional if you think Tambellini was given a green light to design the best team he could. Your also delusional if you believe MacT will continue the endless rebuild by throwing away a skilled guy who the team invested years in, just to pick up another prospect and a guy who would likely be viewed as trash had he been with the Oilers for the last few years.

Hard to gauge Gagners current value for sure though… dealing him now is clearly selling at an all-time low. A package deal involving the first for a signifiicant asset is all that makes sense.

The endless rebuild died when MacT came back on board.

65. oilersfan says:

Ironsight

THat is an interesting find on Prokhorin. Stauffer said yesterday don’t be surprised if the Oilers are looking at an LA king prospect playing in Europe. I couldn’t find one when he said that, I guess I didn’t look low enough on their prospect list.

That makes this more interesting with Shlep and Yak 2 coming one day as well.

66. druid99999 says:

First time posting, so be gentle.

LA has to be desperate for more scoring.
    They look like the anti-Oilers, take a million shots, get great goal tending, can’t score a lick.

It takes LA almost 30 shot attempts to score, while the Oilers score with 15 shot attempts.
    Some of that difference has to be related to the different game the two teams play. Getting the Oilers to shoot is like pulling teeth, while the Kings seem to shoot from anywhere.

But now that the Oilers are getting better goal tending, I wonder if they should hold off on any trades for a bit to see if they can start winning and if the value of their assets increases. Also, after the Olympics teams in need may start to get more desperate.

Here is a breakdown of the extraskater 5v5 Close fenwick numbers.
    Fenwick Breakdown

67. Ducey says:

jb:

The endless rebuild died when MacT came back on board.

Somebody forgot to tell the standings.

We knew about Schremp not long after MacT got hold of him

69. spoiler says:

Ducey: My guess is that the Oilers will finish ahead of BUF, NYI and FLA.

The Oilers have to finsh 11-9-3 or better to have anything beyond a miniscule chance of finishing 3rd last or worse–scenarios which include other teams bombing out. At a 11-9-3 it’s still 87% they finish 28th, 29th or 30th. At 11-8-4, one extra point they gain a 10% chance on that 27th place finish. That might be possible, but we haven’t seen a stretch that good for that long for some time.

70. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Given that it was AJ with the initial info, I’d guess it was LAK putting it out there to put pressure on other GMs other deals.
    Or something along those lines.

That said, 4th liner Clifford’s name being involved and the hints at salary retention seem to indicate LA initiating the leak.

71. spoiler says:

ironsight: It’s interesting that everyone keeps pointing to Toffoli as the prospect that must be the centrepiece of this deal. What about Nikolai Prokhorkin? 4th rd pick in 2012 is 22nd in the KHL in scoring, and tops amongst legit NHL prospects (ahead of even Burmistrov). He was listed as a winger on draft day, but he’s taken the most faceoffs on that team this season, and looks to be centering a line with Radulov. He’s listed anywhere between 6’1″ and 6’4″. He had an ugly contract dispute that kept him out of the lineup for much of last season, but he’s tearing the cover off the ball this year. What’s more, he’s described as a hard-nosed two-way player. He may be of some interest, and may not come at the premium of a guy like Toffoli.

Good find.

72. Caramel Obvious says:

Ryan: I don’t get the Toffoli aspect.Why do we need another RW so bad?

How about a dman instead lol.

You want Toffoli because he is the Kings best young player. Choose good players over needed players every single time because if the needed player isn’t good you haven’t filled the need. The Kings have no AHL defensemen that make the Oilers better.

Getting Toffoli in this deal would be really good in my opinion. It also strikes me as not particularly likely. If it is Vey or Pearson the deal is much more meh. On the one hand they would immediately be the best forward prospects the Oilers have. On the other, that isn’t saying much.

You don’t have to trade Gagner. If you don’t get someone good don’t make the trade.

73. book¡je says:

spoiler: So the US team, trying to send a message to another US team, went with an Ottawa radio guy?

74. Derek says:

Ducey: My guess is that the Oilers will finish ahead of BUF, NYI and FLA.

NYI are going to get rid of Vanek and their top D man, MacDonald.They are suddenly just 2 goals ahead of the Oilers for worst goals against.

Tom Glibert is 1 off the point lead for FLA – enough said.

I can’t see Edmonton finishing about FLA this season. I don’t worship at the Altar of Tallon but the Panthers are a legitimate hockey team suffering from the leagues lowest PDO(97.7). If Edmonton had Florida’s possession numbers (50.8% Fen Close) our fist pumping would put the entire cast of Jersey Shore to shame. They’re like the inverse Toronto Maple Leafs.

Unfortunately when a guy is down in the dumps its hard to see anything good he does, without a nice pass from #89 the Tsar Bomba doesn’t land against the Rangers.

I find it odd that Edmonton would target Toffoli in a trade involving Gagner instead of Linden Vey or the aforementioned Nikolai Prokhorkin.

75. Jon K says:

The thing about the winning goal last night is that it was a lucky bounce away from being a gift wrapped turnover onto the sticks of two Rangers, with Gagner and Hall below the goal line. Funny how luck can colour our perceptions.

The zone starts were also extremely interesting. Offensive guys starting in the offensive zone, defensive guys in the defensive zone. You can question the developmental penalty associated with this form of personnel use, but there’s no denying that it maximizes potential for wins.

The other interesting storyline is how the Oilers record as of late seems to most reflect a change in the goaltending the team has received. They’re still being outshot and outchanced most nights, they’re simply getting decent goaltending from Bryz and league-best goaltending from Scrivens.

Regarding the Gagner rumours, would people here be satisfied if the trade was Gagner with half his cap hit retained by the Oilers, for Linden Vey and Kyle Clifford?

It’s apparent that Clifford is a centerpiece of the deal, for whatever reasons. Vey is interesting in that he’s described as a hardworking two-way centre, but his scoring numbers at all levels indicate that he can be an offensive player as well at the NHL level. It’s also interesting to note that the Oilers would have had seen Vey good a lot in his final season with the Medicine Hat Tigers, when he put up 116 points. That was Pitlick’s first and only season in the WHL, and we can assume that the Oilers would have watched him a fair amount to see his adjustment from the college game. Vey is also a centre, in contrast with Toffoli.

I’m not saying the Oilers are not also legitimately interested in Toffoli. He’s the fellow who drove the results when Martindale was putting up good numbers in the OHL. As a RW he’s not much of a priority, however. Could be that, as others have pointed out, the Oilers are insisting on Toffoli with the end goal of “settling” on Vey.

76. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Lombardi would win every trade if terms were exactly what he sources to media insiders. You can take the Dregor tweet as being sourced from the other side.

77. Racki says:

When did we stop crapping our pants over the fear of guys playing in KHL staying in KHL?

78. Caramel Obvious says:

Derek,

Toffoli is better and younger than Vey.

79. LMHF#1 says:

Jon K:

It is all about perception.

You could easily see it as an all-world read pass to an elite shooter who is in a high percentage scoring position.

There was no bounce on Gagner’s pass. He looked before he made it. Where’s the break you’re thinking of? By not turning himself toward Yakupov, Gagner sold the NYR defender on the puck going up the boards, leading to the open passing lane. Watch the replay.

80. Jon K says:

Ducey: Somebody forgot to tell the standings.

This does not mean for a moment that reasonable fans cannot and should not criticize Lowe’s continued involvement with the team.

81. Ducey says:

Jon K: Except we are actually seeing player movement consistent with a rebuild now, in stark contrast to the Tambellini and Lowe years. Rebuilds that don’t take 10 years look like what St. Louis, Colorado, and Dallas have been doing. You make calls and then you act on them as soon as is practical. MacT made some missteps in the first few months of his tenure, but his actions this year have largely moved the team in the right direction, in my opinion at least.

I was just trying to be a smartass. I agree MacT is a step forward.

82. Jon K says:

LMHF#1: It is all about perception.

I didn’t see the game last night, so I watched the scoring plays in isolation from a replay. Respectfully, my perception of the play is not coloured by what is otherwise being described as a good night for Gagner and Hall.

On your invitation, I just watched the replay again. Sam takes a look, sees his man and throws the pass on his backhand. The puck is bouncing on edge on its way to Yakupov. It goes by the stick of the first Ranger defender who swipes at the puck but misses, and misses the foot of the second Ranger, who tries to block the puck with his foot, by a few inches.

We routinely see Sam make this play. This is the first time I recall it working this season. I can recall at least one other time where a similar, careless play has worked for him. Think it was a backhand pass to Horcoff in a game against Dallas.

83. Jon K says:

Ducey,

Sorry, no offense intended.

84. Derek says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Derek,

Toffoli is better and younger than Vey.

I don’t dispute that point. He also plays the only position and role the Edmonton Oilers have in abundance.

85. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Interesting how they value Clifford as well…..

86. Ducey says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Derek,

Toffoli is better and younger than Vey.

Thats not the question. The question is whether Red Dog + Vey for Gagner and $$ would be a good deal.

I don’t think Vey will be as good as Gagner offensively, but may play a better all round game in a few years. But he doesn’t add any size to the top 6 so is he really the solution? Seems like more filler.

Clifford is currently a fourth liner that can be easily replaced. Can he evolve into David Clarkson or Chris Neil?

If you are going to make the trade you should get someone back that has the potential to become a key player going forward. Thats why I like Forbort on paper. He has the size and mobility you want in a Dman. He could* be a key player. I don’t think either of Vey/ Clifford is going to be anything other than filler for the short term, so I don’t think I make the trade.

* I have never seen him play. He could be the next Tuebert, or he could be part of a pretty nice D corp once everyone grows up.

87. Caramel Obvious says:

Derek,

As Ducey said, if Vey is a center (wasn’t sure about that) I’m not sure how that changes the calculation. As far as I can tell is his upside is a worse version of Gagner. You can’t win that deal.

At least with Toffoli, you have a guy who might score 25 goals and hence the trade has the potential to help the team.

88. icecastles says:

Ducey: Somebody forgot to tell the standings.

Yeah because if a change isn’t instant, it must not exist at all.

Is anyone watching the Olympic opening ceremonies? Nice that CBC is streaming it online. However, I can’t help but notice that the Olympic Flame structure is pretty much a scale model of the stadium mast from the 1967 Montreal Olympics.

89. Zangetsu says:

Edmonton wasn’t as bad as their start, but they are worse than they have been since. I know that’s a lofty statement, but the team constantly plays against backup goalies, and has been abnormally healthy. There is a long road ahead, and barring major additions, I believe mcdavid is a name to discuss.

90. Derek says:

icecastles: Yeah because if a change isn’t instant, it must not exist at all.

My favorite part was despite all the talk about Sochis poor conditions they managed to light the torch without technical difficulties unlike the most amazing city in the world, nay, THE UNIVERSE, Vancouver.

Protagonist:

The myth that never dies.

The Oilers drafted Pouliot before he ever played one second with Crosby. Crosby arrived in Rimouski the season after the Oilers drafted Pouliot. Part of Pouliot’s curse may have been the arrival of Crosby.

92. fifthcartel says:

Re: MacT and co being at Bennett vs Ekblad game.

I would be very happy if they selected Bennett.

93. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

fifthcartel,

Bren it for Bennet!

94. Derek says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Derek,

As Ducey said, if Vey is a center (wasn’t sure about that) I’m not sure how that changes the calculation.As far as I can tell is his upside is a worse version of Gagner.You can’t win that deal.

I don’t know that much about Linden Vey as a prospect, but his player profile fits what Edmonton needs more so than Gagner does.

JewelsFromTheCrown.com:
    “He’s already proven himself to be a reliable two-way player even at the NHL-level, and may already be ready for a full-time depth role in this league. He has shown flashes of being a solid defensive center and also appears to move the puck up ice pretty well. His controlled zone entry totals are not rivaled by many other players on the team.”

At 22 years of age he’s scoring well in the AHL, and has an NHLE of 48 points, 6 less than Toffoli and pretty much in line with what we expect from Gagner season to season.

I’d much rather see a proven player in exchange for Gagner, but if the choice were between Toffoli and Vey, I find Vey to be much more in line with what Edmonton needs going forward.

He’s also 6’0, 200lbs. So GRIT, and what not.

95. oilersfan says:

I also find it interesting that Vey is a bit bigger than Gagner, I assume playing in the LA system and playing a handful of games for Sutter is better defensively than Gagner, and played in Medicine Hat with Tyler Pitlick.

and end up trying to trade 6th overall picks for the guy some other team found buried in the fourth round?

96. russ99 says:

Zangetsu,

I really hope we’re not all talking about Connor McDavid this time next year…

Tons of heavy lifting for MacT to do, and even if he can’t do it all in one deadline/offseason, we have to be bettter next year… can’t be much worse.

97. oliveoilers says:

Get well soon Kris Letang.

98. Halfwise says:

oilersfan,
    >Side note, how come the Oilers never draft a guy in the fourth round who scores 110 points in his 19 year old season?

You mean like Greg Chase?

I dunno. Maybe they have blind spots.

99. russ99 says:

A half hour left until the roster freeze, I wonder if we’ll see any substantial activity.

This freeze-deadline kind of reminds me of “When Worlds Collide” where the one rogue planet passes by first and does some considerable damage, before the other one collides with Earth.

Gonna be an insane 3 days post-freeze and pre-deadline. Is TSN going to broadcast TradeCentre all three days?

100. Derek says:

oilersfan:

They prefer to wait until the 7th round.

*fingers crossed*

101. Ducey says:

Derek,

He sounds all right, but projecting 48 pts and getting 48 pts are two different things. We have a guy who is in that range every year. I also don’t see anywhere where he is 200lbs. TSN has him at 183. NHL.com has him at 189lbs. Pronman noted one of his weaknesses was a lack of physical play.

He doesn’t excite me as a solution longterm for 2C.

I guess another thought is whether he is likely to be a better player going forward than Bennett or Reinhart? I am guessing not.

102. spoiler says:

book¡je: I think the internet thingy with all the twittering and blogging and so on probably make geography less relevant than personal connections.

LOL!

103. delooper says:

104. Halfwise says:

delooper: So, do people feel like Edmonton has finally lifted the curse brought-on by their evil sorcery of the 1980′s? This run makes me feel like we’re starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m seeing two kinds of puck luck lately, rather than just the bad kind. Last night for instance I could swear Yak’s goal went off the shaft of the NYR D’s stick. The disallowed GA in Buffalo was nice, and then last night’s GF that was waved off didn’t sink the team. And some of NYR’s great looks last night went wide or off someone instead of in off Potter.

105. frjohnk says:

Getting picks, prospects or 4th liners for an asset like Gagner is not moving this rebuild forward. MacT knows this. ( I hope) If the oilers get picks or prospects by selling at the deadline players like Hemsky, Jones etc. that’s fine. But doing that for Gagner is not gonna help us.

Put Gagner and one of the prospects ( not Nurse) on the table and we should be able to get something like

- 2nd line two way center or a
    - a top 4 defenceman

This probably does not happen till the season is over though.

Gagner has value, he had 38 points in 48 games last year. A great character guy.

Because the oilers top six are all on the small side,I believe he is not only on the wrong team, but most likely the wrong division. He could flourish in the East, though.

106. book¡je says:

spoiler: Yeah, I know… personal connections between the hockey world and the media world are so rare, that an LA team trying to impact a NYC team might be forced to do so through an Ottawa radio man.

LOL!

LOL – you totally missed the point that geography is irrelevant.

107. Bag of Pucks says:

I think part of the wisdom in moving Gagner in the near future is A) you have some market conditions working in your favour with some teams in risk of missing the playoffs because of offensive droughts & B) the return from a Gagner trade gives you a better fix on what to do with Hemsky.

I suspect MacT does want to trade Hemmer at the deadline, as it’s doubtful he’d sign a discounted contract without testing the market first. So, you’re looking at a potential overpay for a player who projects as a 3rd line winger next season.

If Gagner can fetch an emerging RW prospect on the verge (i.e. like Toffoli), I think this frees up MacT to move Hemsky for some help at D, C or G. It also releases two large contracts for him to go shopping for that ever elusive big two-way C or top 2 D vet (both of which cost tremendously in the FA market).

I’m firmly of the belief that moving Gagner alone is addition through substraction, but this is about asset management now and Clifford plus a pick is too little for a 6ov draft pick – even when he’s having the disastrous season Samwise is.

This really is a poker game at this point. The right move with Gagner can set MacT up with a nice chip lead heading into the trade deadline. Hold this tactic until the draft however and he could wind up getting cents on the dollar with every GM in the league knowing he has to move him with the NMC fast approaching.

108. oilersfan says:

I think the NMC is overrated.

If the Oilers trade Gagner to a top 15 team he would probably go because he is competitive and sick of losing.

I know his fiancée lives here and is in med school but I just don’t see how the nmc is a real issue.

109. delooper says:

oilersfan:

How many top 15 teams want him? Maybe Pittsburgh. But are there others?

110. art vandelay says:

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 33m

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 26m

Looks like he’s bang-on, actually. Oiler fan needs to rent a basement suite with a mirror or two. And stop reading Hockey Hall of Fame writer Dotdotdot Matheson or listening to Oiler employee Bob Stauffer.

111. G Money says:

delooper:
    So, do people feel like Edmonton has finally lifted the curse brought-on by their evil sorcery of the 1980′s?This run makes me feel like we’re starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yup. Or the Hockey Gords are just building us up a little bit so that the subsequent fall is all the more crushing.

Life as an Oiler fan.

112. spoiler says:

book¡je: LOL – you totally missed the point that geography is irrelevant.

Uh huh.

113. Mesmer says:

Caramel Obvious:
    On the Gagner rumours, Clifford + Toffoli is a decent trade for the Oilers.In 71 games at the AHL level as a 20 and 21 year old Toffoli has 67 points, with more goals than assists.That’s a track record of someone who can score in the NHL.

So long as it doesn’t involve retaining too much salary that’s a decent deal.Sign Boyd Gordon 2.0 in the offseason (say Marcel Goc) and you have the potential for three solid lines, with good two-way play at center, and the scoring coming from the wings.

Hall–Hopkins–Yakupov
    Perron–Goc–Eberle
    Hendricks–Gordon–Hemsky if re-signed Toffoli if not
    Clifford–Arcobello/Lander–(Toffoli)

That’s a playoff forward group, I think.Re-sign Scrivens as the goalie, and you are only two D away.

114. Ducey says:

art vandelay:
    Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 33m

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 26m

So if “Oiler fan” just listened to you and Spector he would see everything properly?

———————————————————–
    Pretty exciting trade deadline, eh? 1 minor league trade today: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443239

115. Caramel Obvious says:

Mesmer: I’ve seen you write it before, and finally have to ask. What makes you believe that Marcel Goc would be an improvement or for that matter even qualify as a second line center on a playoff team? He is thirty years old and is on pace to score more than 11 goals for the first time in his career. What do you see in him that I don’t?

Goc isn’t going to be a high scorer. However, he does have a long established history of being a good possession player with very tough zone starts. He’s basically Gordon with a little more offense. That’s what they need.

If you grant that the team can’t afford/can’t get a guy like Paul Stastny then Goc is the next best thing. Because his point totals aren’t high he’s undervalued, but because his possession numbers are excellent he helps the team. In short he’s one of the best UFA centers available and yet he won’t command top dollar. What’s not to like.

I think we get way too caught up in assigning labels to positions. Goc isn’t a “true” second line center. The problem is that there is no such position as second line center. There is only center and Goc is a good one, who will provide good value at free agent prices. That’s the only thing that matters.

116. russ99 says:

Caramel Obvious,

The real issue is whoever we bring in at 2nd line center – will he be so focused on defense that the scoring forwards don’t get enough support?

This seemed to me the real knock on Horcoff. We don’t want to repeat mistakes, and we do need a bigger two-way center, but he has to be truly two-way.

I also kind of like that idea of getting an experienced scoring center and putting him on the first line and putting RNH on the second line – rather than bringing in a checker and playing him in a top-six role.

117. Derek says:

russ99:
    Caramel Obvious,

This seemed to me the real knock on Horcoff.We don’t want to repeat mistakes, and we do need a bigger two-way center, but he has to be truly two-way.

Horcoff had no choice but to be “so focused on defense” because of his severely skewed Zonestarts. It’s pretty hard to put up offensive numbers when you’re the only center who can reliably start in your own zone, ask Boyd Gordon.

118. Numenius says:

Caramel Obvious: Goc isn’t going to be a high scorer.However, he does have a long established history of being a good possession player with very tough zone starts.He’s basically Gordon with a little more offense.That’s what they need.

If you grant that the team can’t afford/can’t get a guy like Paul Stastny then Goc is the next best thing.Because his point totals aren’t high he’s undervalued, but because his possession numbers are excellent he helps the team.In short he’s one of the best UFA centers available and yet he won’t command top dollar.What’s not to like.

I think we get way too caught up in assigning labels to positions.Goc isn’t a “true” second line center.The problem is that there is no such position as second line center.There is only center and Goc is a good one, who will provide good value at free agent prices.That’s the only thing that matters.

This all day.

With such excellent scoring ability on the wings, it’s not as necessary to get a high scoring C to play with them as long as he’s a good possession player. This year it would have made a huge difference for the better imo, if Horcoff had stayed to alternate with Gordon 2-3 C and if McT had let Gagner go.

119. Bag of Pucks says:

Running some different vollman sledgehammers (yeah, that’s addictive) and aside from the fact that it describes Tom Gilbert as a shut down defenceman (too funny for words), it did yield some interesting offer sheet targets / pending RFAs to bulwark the D.

Thoughts on any of these players as target acquisitions?

Brenden Dillon – Dallas
    Calvin de Haan – NYI
    Eric Gryba – Ott

Vollman seems to like them a lot.

Oilers really need an emerging shutdown D to fast track this rebuild. Good time for an offer sheet?

The problem is none of the above teams are cap strapped, so they may simply match.

120. Bag of Pucks says:

Caramel Obvious:

121. delooper says:

Numenius: This all day.

I think so too. Oilers would have had far less troubles this year, and Gordon’s stats would be better if there was Horcoff around to give him a break once and a while.

122. delooper says:

Bag of Pucks: Why do we have to assume this? If they trade both Gagner and Hemsky, which looks likely, there could be significant cap space for UFAs.

123. Pouzar says:

Numenius: This all day.

And This X 2.

If we wanna get better right away I think Goc would be a helluva pickup.
    Big blue Bubble waaaaay up in the Shutdown stratosphere!

124. oliveoilers says:

Oilers pick up Omark off waivers, allowing Weber deal to be completed after Olympic break. Hook baited, now wait…..

125. Jujhar says:

delooper: Oilers want to keep the salary structure disciplined. That doesn’t give them room for big-ticket UFAs.

Really? Didnt they offer Clarkson 7Million x 5 years?

126. delooper says:

Jujhar: Really?Didnt they offer Clarkson 7Million x 5 years?

The references I see on line say 6 million over 7 years.

127. Bag of Pucks says:

delooper: The references I see on line say 6 million over 7 years.

Kinda defeats the theory of disciplined salary structure though?

128. Jujhar says:

Bag of Pucks: Kinda defeats the theory of disciplined salary structure though?

sad when we need other teams to save us from our own stupidity.

129. delooper says:

Bag of Pucks: Kinda defeats the theory of disciplined salary structure though?

It’s consistent (barely) with the “Hall salary is the cap” rule. I guess some people see a lot more in Clarkson than his numbers would suggest.

130. LoDog says:

delooper: It’s consistent (barely) with the “Hall salary is the cap” rule.I guess some people see a lot more in Clarkson than his numbers would suggest.

131. delooper says:

Sure. But I doubt they do it soon, without it being somebody like CFP.

132. Bag of Pucks says:

In looking at these Vollman’s, it’s very revealing as to the coaching strategies employed by different teams.

Hitchcock is clearly thinking about zone starts and hard matching all the time. As a result, the chart is very spread out.

Cooper on the other hand seems to be a coach who shelters players against tough comps but pays very little attention to zone starts, expecting his players to be able to excel in all zones.

Yzerman has a lot of young RFAs to deal with this season. C Killorn looks like another nice offer sheet target. Probably stayed under the radar in Harvard, but he’s got nice size and his p/60 in the A and the NHL both look good without the benefit of sheltered mins. The downside is he’s weak on the dot, but that may come with experience?

I would typically expect Yzerman to match, but it looks like a perfect storm brewing for an offer sheet in TBay, Lots of young pending RFAs excelling under Cooper and not a lot heading out the door in terms of expensive UFAs.

133. delooper says:

Bag of Pucks:

You could quantify this with a Vollman chart Gini coefficient.

134. Bag of Pucks says:

Hockeyfutures on Killorn

Like the sound of this….

Killorn is a versatile player who is just beggining to scratch the surface in terms of his long range potential. Offensively gifted, he is tough to contain in the offensive zone and is consistent at creating scoring chances. Killorn is developing into a more well-rounded player in terms of playing all facets of the game. He has respectable speed and coordination complimented by a strong work ethic. Killorn is developing his awareness and anticipation skills on the defensive side of the game to match his offensive instincts. Killorn plays with a gritty, nasty side to his game and should be even more effective in this game as he adds size and strength.

135. Bag of Pucks says:

delooper: You could quantify this with a Vollman chart Gini coefficient.

Yeah I probably could if I was smarter. lol

136. G Money says:

delooper: You could quantify this with a Vollman chart Gini coefficient.

The value of the Vollman is that it combines multiple variables – where you start, who you face, how well you do, and how often you have to do it (ZS, QOC, Corsi, TOI) – into one elegant little picture.

It is exceedingly hard to boil any two of these (let alone all four) down into a single measure. I have tried!

137. gogliano says:

Derek: I can’t see Edmonton finishing about FLA this season.I don’t worship at the Altar of Tallon but the Panthers are a legitimate hockey team suffering from the leagues lowest PDO(97.7).If Edmonton had Florida’s possession numbers (50.8% Fen Close) our fist pumping would put the entire cast of Jersey Shore to shame.They’re like the inverse Toronto Maple Leafs.

28th or 29th are the likely outcomes.

138. delooper says:

G Money: Actually, you couldn’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t … Gini’s are a distribution measure (disparity) of a single variable.

It is exceedingly hard to boil any two of these (let alone all four) down into a single measure.I have tried!

Bag Of Pucks was using less than the full Vollman chart for his observation — I would call it a projection of the data. He was interested in the total variation of the chart rather than info on specific players. The point wasn’t to distill the chart to a single number, but to get some rather specific information from the chart that’s less that the total amount of information in the chart.

It’s much like how you can talk about things like averages without having to always lug around all the original data.

139. PhrankLee says:

gogliano: Also, NYI have a butter butter schedule, whereas the Oiler’s last 10 games go something like this: 9 playoff teams, mostly from the West/California, + PHX (9th in the West).

28th or 29th are the likely outcomes.

I agree with those finishes based on play to date. I am still, however, looking very much forward to those games. Barring any major injury to any of the #1 trio we should get our best look at all the + progress has been tangibly made. I’m an emotional fan that gauges the team by eye or traditional stats. I love this blog because I am fascinated with the stats talked about here. I do not understand it all but I am catching on slowly. It will be interesting to see, for me, if the stats and my gut feelings are close over the last part of the schedule where you guys will have solid sample sizes. Find:#1G.

140. oliveoilers says:

28th or 29th are the likely outcomes.

I know! Every year the NHL puts the Oilers against teams above them in the league nearly every single game! Just another example of the NHL trying to screw us. Stauffer was right. :-)

141. commonfan14 says:

delooper: LoDog: But this is a rule made up by people on the internet. The Oilers will have to pay someone (top D, top C) more than 6 million with the cap rising and I don’t think Hall will sulk about it.
    Sure. But I doubt they do it soon, without it being somebody like CFP.

I don’t think they’ll have to do it until the summer of 2017 when they’re negotiating McDavid’s extension.

It’ll have to be quite a bit higher than Hall’s cap number too, considering his Calder and Conn Smyth trophies.

142. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Vancouver Canucks – welcome to the darkness of the bottom of the well. Its a little murky, a little damp, terribly lonely and awfully depressing. Don’t worry, the years down here seem to fly by. We’re not going to miss it….

143. book¡je says:

spoiler: Ah, so… Lombardi is thinking that out of the dozens and dozens, likely hundreds, of media people he knows all over North America, he will choose to leak to a little known radio guy in Ottawa because the Internet.

Uh huh.

144. Lois Lowe says:

oliveoilers,

You wouldn’t believe what John Shorthouse says about the Dys’ schedule on Vancouver talk radio. He was upset last week because they had to play the second of a back-to-back in Boston.

145. BrazilianOil says:

Just realize today we have the Oil on brazilian TV. Yaaaakkkkk

146. Halfwise says:

Good hard work by Hall and Yak there on the forecheck.

Hall and Yak are starting to develop some chem. Justin Schultz looks terrible.

148. spoiler says:

Brilliant play all around there amongst Yak, Hall and Ference.

149. Ribs says:

I wonder if Marincin knows how old Jagr is. Should be able to keep up to him, hah.

150. spoiler says:

book¡je: Wait, are you the same Spoiler who believes in numerous illogical conspiracies involving thousands of actors maintaining confidence with no significant incentive to do so?

Wait, are you the same DSF that moves goalposts whenever arguments go against them? NIce work, Bookje. I should have expected an ad hominem attack.

151. VanOil says:

Jagr v. Gadzook = Goal against

152. spoiler says:

The F word. Defense non-existent. Fraser might be gone by the deadline.

Edit: To the ECHL.

153. Derek says:

Edmonton fourth line and 3rd D pair out against Jagr and Loktionov results in a GA?

Weird.

154. spoiler says:

BEAUTY!

Yak to Hall!

156. art vandelay says:

In a word, “yes.”
    But you chould choose to listen to any fan of any team not named “Oilers.”
    As a consequence, Oiler fan would be much less a myopian.
    For instance, did Oiler fan read the SB link to the Kings site upthread? Kings fan is, by and large, level-headed about their prospects. But more importantly, only a couple of them bother to mention Gagner. In short, they’re OK with Gager-for-crap, but want to aim for effective, difference-making NHLers such as Vanek.
    Oiler fan lives in this bubble, where Leenus/LIenus Omark matters, b/c he’s the next Marc Habscheid, b/c Matty told him so, or Stauffer spittled it.
    There’s so little evidence Oiler fan every watches any hockey other than Oiler games, so he can fap to Vollman’s Corgis against the 5×5 toughs in zone starts vs soft opps. And convince himself that Martin the Martian is the latest solution to the Oilers’ D woes. I mean, there had to have been a dozen or more posts last year that suggested Oscar – Never Got Through a Season Unscathed/Never Played in N.A. – Klefbomb was going to be in the top pair with Supersoft Justin Schultz.
    That does’t reflect a higher understanding of hockey, that reflects delusion.
    Worse, you go on about how Oiler fan is a Borg collective of advanced degrees, as if a PhD in art history = higher level of understanding of hockey.
    The only stat that matters is 30, 30., 29, 23, ??. That’s not a Fibonacci sequence, but it’s statistically valid just the same.
    Cling to that Cup run where Pronger was gifted to the Oilers in a STL salary dump. We’re on our third generation of Edmonton kids who “grew up with the Oilers” as The Mickey Mouse Club, and that will be the highlight for them.
    But, I’m sure the new arena will fix everything (c).
    BTW, this isn’t a crack on the proprietor of this blog. The effort put into this space is laudable. Any good business knows to give customers what they want. It’s “Oiler fan” in general, who just slurps it up and regurgitates it as gospel.

157. gogliano says:

Jaromir Jagr is still an amazing player. At 41.

158. VanOil says:

Wow YakAll

159. spoiler says:

The Two F’s again.

160. striatic says:

NJ Colour guy really likes this Adam Hall kid’s ability to finish.

161. spoiler says:

Yak has to be far smarter about his line changes.

162. skidplate says:

Love how Hall just took it away from Zidlicky.
    The new #1 line is looking good. Just imagine!!! :)

163. skidplate says:

Who just iced that?
    Make a pass…….

164. striatic says:

skidplate,

Hendricks.

165. striatic says:

Can the Oilers finally have their turn with Jagr next year? Please. I don’t care if he’s 80 years old.

Nuge-Hall-Yak 75% Corsi for 5×5 in that period (Extra Skater).

167. icecastles says:

striatic:

Remember when there was a lot of talk about Jagr coming back to the NHL and the Oilers were a top suitor. Many fans were utterly opposed to the idea of the team taking on a retired has-been who was far past his prime. That was FIVE YEARS AGO. Insane.

Ford (Eager, Acton) 1-0 OKC

169. YoungOil says:

Nuge-Hall-Yak 75% Corsi for 5×5 in that period (Extra Skater).

holy……… are you sure that’s not 57%, LT? Double and triple checked?

Please keep that trio together.

170. spoiler says:

I can’t see DeBoer being too happy about the style of play that period.

171. spoiler says:

Nedved’s playing in the Olympics? Did I hear that right?

172. gogliano says:

Maybe we can still get him:

So Jaromir Jagr, tell us your opinion why the Edmonton Oilers, loaded with first overall draft picks and highly skilled young offensive talent, are dead last in the Western Conference.

“Ah, I don’t really want to talk about other teams,” Jagr said. “It’s not my business. But just to answer your question the best I can, the way I see it, of course, they’re talented players. They’re so talented. They’re still young. That’s one thing.

“And I feel like they have so many of the same kind of players. You’ve got six (or) seven (of the) same kind of players. You know? It’s sometimes not a good thing. It might be like an All-Star (Game). Sometimes it’s not so good to have so many stars on the team.”

Interesting.

Jagr, beating around the bush, apparently thinks the Oilers might be better off keeping some of their young stars and using some to improve in other areas. Based on the Oilers’ 3.3 goals allowed per game, a league high, they are in need of help keeping the puck out of their net.

“You need some soldiers, too,” Jagr said. “Like me!”

173. Andy P says:

Is Yak playing Ebs out of the #1 spot?

174. Lois Lowe says:

The Fraser and Ference pairing is a dumpster fire.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 1m

#Oilers chances:
    4 +4/-1 93: +4/-1 64: +4/-1
    57: +1/-1 89: +1/-2 14: +1/-2
    23: +0/-0 27: +0/-0 83: +0/-0
    20: +0/-3 94: +0/-2 6: +0/-2

176. VanOil says:

striatic:

A Jagr-Gordon-Hemsky 3d line would be the best 3d line in hockey

177. Thor762 says:

I think playing with Hall is great for Yak’s confidence also. I noticed that after the goal Hall turned and pointed at Yak during his celebration. I’ve seen that before with that pair. Plus the game where Hall and Yak got a 2 on 1 and Hall made a point of passing to Yak so he could score. And was all smiles when congratulating Yak. That has to be doing miles and miles of good for the kid.

Hall leads.

The #1-#1-#1 line is showing some very good signs early. Please whoever is listening keep them together for the rest of the year.

178. skidplate says:

Nice movement on the PP

179. Lois Lowe says:

Thor762,

I think Yak would like nothing more than to have Hall’s approval. We forget how much young guys care about what “the older kids” think.

180. Andy P says:

Hall’s playing like a captain.

181. VanOil says:

The good thing about Fraser is he makes N.Schultz look world class

182. Thor762 says:

Lois Lowe:
    Thor762,

I think Yak would like nothing more than to have Hall’s respect. We forget how much young guys care about what “the older kids” think.

Agreed.

183. spoiler says:

Hendricks with a little shenanigans on the line change.

184. book¡je says:

Spoiler – I was simply responding to your skepticism regarding someone making a cross country text message vs the other arguments you have stood up for. I’m sorry if you were offended. However, if you are going to LOL other people comments and brashly defend a weak argument, you need to grow a thicker skin. I don’t accept that it’s impossible that the leak of the trade could have started with the Kings. You are arguing the absolute position here and as such the burden of proof lies with you.

185. VanOil says:

Hall skates fast enough and understands the concept of Yaks speed ball off the boards passes

186. OilClog says:

Hall and Yak shall never be separated from this day forth. It’s amazing

187. OilClog says:

Smyth is taking shifts with Ebs and Perron.. Hmmmm.

We have great depth down the middle..

188. spoiler says:

Smytty so savvy. I love watching him drag that ancient bag o’ bones up and down the ice. I hope he finds whatever fountain Chris Chelios was chugging from.

189. OilClog says:

Eakins can’t bench Yakupov ever again, it’s been decided. He’ll face a wraith from the hockey Gord or Gords that tends to our dear Yakupov, that have never seen before. It’s just the liquor talking but I believe that Yak can’t be benched again now. Or everything is lost.

190. gr8one says:

russ99:
    Zangetsu,

I really hope we’re not all talking about *Connor McDavid this time next year…

I remember us all saying this exact same thing 2 and three years ago.

*Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

191. VanOil says:

Is that idiot on Sportsnet actually saying that Fraser is the reason the Oilers are winning?

192. OilClog says:

spoiler:
    Smytty so savvy.I love watching him drag that ancient bag o’ bones up and down the ice. I hope he finds whatever fountain Chris Chelios was chugging from.

I completely agree, just not on our second line please.

193. Derek says:

Mmm indeed Sportsnet Panel, Mark Frasier is synonymous with stability on the blue. Tell me more.

194. OilClog says:

VanOil:

Yes, I’m really looking for to the next 12 years… Omfg.. Shoot me now

195. OilClog says:

Derek:
    Mmm indeed Sportsnet Panel, Mark Frasier is synonymous with stability on the blue.Tell me more.

He’s very determined.

Think like a pylon, to be a pylon.

Stable, constant, reliable, run over, spring back up service. Maybe we could just leave him in New Jersey’s utility closet? A nice parting gift.

196. Andy P says:

OilClog: He’s very determined.

Think like a pylon, to be a pylon.

A pylon with sandpaper!

197. VanOil says:

Fraser is so bad that I have to go back to Barker to find a comparison. Whitney on one leg was better.

Fedun, Kelfbom, Simpson, and probably Germat and Musil are better players today. Not to mention Larson and Potter.

198. OilClog says:

Andy P: A pylon with sandpaper!

Whoa whoa whoa

Mind blown

Kaaaaatuschhhhhhh (that’s my mind blown sound)

Maybe he’s a pylon that’s been painted with a sand mix. One gritty, stable, constant, MF’N pylon! And he has a nice paint job in copper and blue. Baam

199. VanOil says:

bryz steps in and shows Ferrence and Fraser how to make a pass

Newer Comments »