On December 27, the Oilers were 39GP, 12-24-3. In the 20 games since, Edmonton is 8-9-3. In their last 10: 5-4-1. Last night’s game offered some hope, and from some of the bright young faces on the team. Nail Yakupov, Martin Marincin, Taylor Hall. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
That top line rumbled and the top pairing did too. I thought the other lines had their moments, but Smyth and Ryan Jones were setting the woods on fire too, and I thought the young man Gazdic did a nice thing or two as well. Among the rest, Andrew Ference made plays good and bad (reflected here) and Mark Fraser had his best game as an Oiler—and it still wasn’t any good. Scrivens? Sign. the. man.
TAYLOR HALL PLAYER CARD
There were some backchecks and forechecks and battles won last night, and the winning goal involved Hall using skill and determination to get a split second of clearance for the setup to be arranged. He had three games of Corsi 5×5 for’s in the 30′s before last night, so he was due. The fact he can do this on the road, against a pretty good team (according to the standings and the last 20 games) like the Rangers? Here’s hoping these last 21 games rock and roll.
I heard some chatter yesterday afternoon about low-life’s making up rumors, and I agree. People who make crap up for the sake of it should have their blogger license revoked. However, yesterday’s information didn’t come from bloggers, didn’t come from layabouts, didn’t come from hippies, didn’t come from Sochi toilets. I would like to remind everyone about how the Sam Gagner rumors got started yesterday:
- AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Oilers and Kings working on another trade. Hearing Sam Gagner to LA is very close
- AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Kyle Clifford the expected return for Edmonton if Gagner deal goes through.
- AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Further to earlier tweets, a 2nd source told me the Oilers would get more than Clifford from LA if Gagner deal is completed.
- AJ Jakubec, TSN 1200 Ottawa: Kings are tight to the cap & could delay until after the Olympic break. Oilers would retain part of Gagner’s salary in any deal.
- Bob McKenzie, TSN: Interesting tweets from @AJonSports regarding possible deal between LA and EDM involving Gagner and Clifford. Also hearing this possible.
- Bob McKenzie, TSN: It’s complicated because of LA’s cap issues — EDM would have to retain salary? — and LA may have to give up another piece. Stay tuned.
- Bob McKenzie, TSN: BTW, @mayorNHL reported earlier this week that LA was looking at sending Clifford and a draft pick to EDM for Gagner.
- Bob McKenzie, TSN: To be clear, I can’t assure you Clifford + a pick or prospect for Gagner + EDM retaining $ is guaranteed to happen but it’s being discussed.
No bloggers here, folks. I think it behooves the discerning reader to track back the rumor—is the person claiming to have specific knowledge or are they discussing the possibilities? On the LDWLT, I mentioned Dwight King, Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, Tanner Pearson, Alec Martinez, Tyler Toffoli, Derek Forbort. No one in any official capacity gave me those names, and so I didn’t say “I have heard from a credible source” and that’s an easy line to draw as a broadcaster (and as a listener). If someone is telling you a trade is imminent, and that Kyle Clifford is coming to the Oilers 100% certain, check their bio. Do they have connections? This is a pretty easy item to figure out.
And on the other hand, if McKenzie says “Clifford + a pick or prospect for Gagner + EDM retaining $ is guaranteed to happen but it’s being discussed” then it’s being discussed.
NOT A RUMOR, JUST A THOUGHT
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Olympics, trade deadline, God knows.
- Corey Graham, Oil Kings play by play. The train keeps a rollin’
- Rob Soria, Oil Drop. Is this 5-4-1 streak all about goaltending? Or is there something else?
- FC Edmonton. Getting closer to the start of camp and the players are rolling into town.
- Jungle Jim Hunter. Olympics! We’ll talk about the media coverage and the early events.
10-1260 text and @Lowetide_ twitter. See you on the radio!