OILERS AT SABRES G58, 13-14

On December 22, the Edmonton Oilers had a record of 11-24-3 (in 38 games) and a GF-GA total of 95-132. Since then, the club has gone 7-9-3 and scored 52-62. Progress? I think so. The Marincin add and the Scrivens addition surely helped, and I do think they are cobbling together a 3line here out of binder twine and old Copenhagen containers.

KEEPERS ON CURRENT TEAM

• Goalie Ben Scrivens
  • Defensemen Justin Schultz, Jeff Petry, Martin Marincin and Andrew Ference
  • Center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Boyd Gordon
  • Left Wing Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov
  • Right Wing Jordan Eberle, David Perron

That’s a helluva lot of talent, and half a roster. They should be better this year, but adding two good defensemen and a quality goalie should help. Throw in a quality center and things should be much better in 2014-15.

SIXES AND SEVENS AND NINES

I wish you could read Punch Imlach’s Heaven and Hell in the NHL. Scott Young wrote the book with Imlach, and there’s so many brilliant stories contained about team building. Here’s one from page 44.

luce imlach

Somewhere out there in the mist, there is an effective NHL defenseman, a quality two-way center and men who are going to help the Jacks and Kings win the day. One of the things we have to remember is that Patrick Sharp wasn’t Patrick Sharp the day he arrived in Chicago, and Jason Smith had been traded out of two  NHL cities when he got here.

Ben Scrivens might be such a player. Matt Hendricks may end up being an effective 4line winger/center, and maybe he’ll penalty kill (I’m not sure why he isn’t doing this more) and maybe he won’t be here a year from now. The good thing about MacT is he’s aiming higher—Ben Scrivens has a much better chance of solving the goaltending than Cam Barker solving the defensive holes.

I’m pleased MacT is being so aggressive, and aware that some of these moves are going to be fails. The Scrivens pickup is an indicator to me that they are on the right track at some level, just as the Marincin showing tells me the amateur scouts have taken crazy heat for a 2010  draft that has a lot of track to go.

dusty

We talked about this trade here and I still don’t see a match. There’s the money issue (Kings don’t have a lot of cap room) and then there’s the “we’re not trading you anything that can help us win” issue. If you suspend reality there’s a trade (Dwight King and Matt Greene for Sam Gagner and Corey Potter) that sends about $2M extra to the coast (I think they can manage it under the cap). Why would the Kings do that now? I know they need offense, but King is having a good year and they’ll need him.  Guys like Clifford don’t begin to satisfy the need, and the Kings won’t trade Toffoli. Dean Lombardi is one smart puppy, I’d prefer MacT stay away.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

CATCH AND RELEASE

Big show today, talking Super Bowl post and Oilers pre. Scheduled to appear:

• Tyler Dellow from mc79 hockey. What’s happening to Taylor Hall? If anyone can find it, I’m betting Dellow.
  • Travis Yost from Hockeybuzz. What up Senators? You had one job! Beat Toronto Saturday night!
  • Jeff Chapman from Copper and Blue. He’s our Sabres expert, and one of our Oilers experts!
  • Jeff Hauser looks at the Super Bowl.

10-1260 text, twitter @Lowetide_. Rave On!

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED

285 Responses to "OILERS AT SABRES G58, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Pouzar says:

Sadly I don’t see the Oilers making any moves before Friday. They will talk over the break and maybe Schultz Sr. gets moved. Gagner is traded in the summer when the cap goes up and Hemsky is re-signed and announced after Olympics.

2. Snowman says:

I don’t understand the Gagner to the Kings either. Makes sense for us but not so much for their end (like you said LT). I’ve been pretty satisfied with MacT. He’s gotten some right and some wrong but more importantly (despite our record) I think he’s been right a bit more than wrong.

With that said, I’m more than a little disappointed I will not be able to enjoy Arco outplaying Gagner night in and night out for the foreseeable future. I hope Arco makes it back to the big league again. He deserves it.

He’s on PK1 with Gordon.

I was hoping that his arrival would mean that RNH would go to PK3 or off the PK all together since Hendricks actually is pretty good on the dot and could be C on PK2.

Hasn’t happened though.

Looks like they are writing him in pen as 3LW as well.

Again, was hoping they would aim higher.

Woodguy:

He’s on PK1 with Gordon.

Hasn’t happened though.

Looks like they are writing him in pen as 3LW as well.

Again, was hoping they would aim higher.

A quick trade update, Vanek is going for sure.

6. oilersfan says:

I dont think hemsky will sign here he would be nuts to do so. If any of you were him would you? I sure wouldnt.

7. RexLibris says:

I agree that Gagner moves this summer, probably around the draft before his NTC kicks in.

Greene and King for Gagner…not sure that is value as I’m confident Gagner will become a useful player in LA with a strong supporting cast (and perhaps D. Sutter as a coach will bring out some defense in his game). That being said, no sense hanging on to potential if it has proven to remain stubbornly untapped.

My concern with moving Gagner at the draft is in the event that the Kings have a decent run and some supporting player has a breakout playoff performance that does not mesh with his historical performance ceiling and Lombardi convinces MacTavish to take him. Think Joel Ward, or the Pisani post-2006 overpay as examples.

I know the Oilers need some sevens and nines (seven of nine would be nice, too) but after Gagner MacTavish is beginning to run out of chips in his “young forward” stack and there are still a few big-ticket items that need to be acquired.

8. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I thought he’d be second center, faceoffs etc on the PK. That’s the better plan because you can get Nuge out there on the shift after the penalty expires. Now there’s more than one way todo that, if the second line was clicking for instance, but Hendricks should be doing a lot of PK work and be the second PK center.

9. Ben says:

Can anyone explain to me why teams would make trades before the Olympic freeze?

Wouldn’t this just involve contenders taking on extra salary for two weeks of no GP?

10. book¡je says:

I am not convinced the team is playing better. The goaltending has improved but the team looks no better than they did in Oct/nov. Someone can quantify that perhaps.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rishaug was just on TSN 1260 saying that he too doesn’t understand the Kings looking at Gagner. Not that he was challenging the reality of it as reported by BM, more that he just doesn’t see a deal working now.

He pointed to Hemsky being the target if the Kings wanted a player. We’ve heard that before too.

I hope for Hemsky’s sake he finds an Eastern home.

RexLibris: I’ve seen more late PK for Nugent-Hopkins lately, so I wonder if Eakins is putting Hendricks in gradually. He seems to like to build guys up, create a foundation for communication, expectation and on-ice trust, so it’ll be interesting to see if this changes post-Sochi.

Hendricks isn’t PKing gradually.

He’s on PK1 with Gordon.

13. oilabroad says:

I don’t get all the talk about fair value. The thought of not trading Gagner for Pisani because you are not getting fair value is ridiculous. If the player fills a need and could be a key piece to making your team better, than make the trade. Gagner does not make this team better.

14. hunter1909 says:

Snowman: Also, Hemsky. God we need to keep Hemsky. Please.. Please keep Hemsky. Please. If he’s a good enough depth winger for teams making a playoff push who actually win some games how is he not a good enough depth winger for us? Can anyone explain the logic in trading him?

That’s how it appears.

15. PhrankLee says:

I am hoping the tribute to Ference by the Bruins was not lost on the young guns. Hopefully they embrace his professionalism because by my eye they are not being accountable to anyone. Fly-by shifts swatting at the puck with one hand on their stick is not being difficult to play against. Opponents know Oilers do not finish their checks but curl past and harass while cheating for offence. This is not a thumbs up for the 40 hits?, 60 hits crowd. As if veterans are not clever enough to box the puck away from them and gain ice toward our goal. Opponents also know that trailers on a play are almost NEVER picked up by back checkers. Our backchecking is better lately but brutal overall. PP. What the fuck? So far Justin Shultz is a bust. There I said it. Absolutely zero zip from that guy.

16. hunter1909 says:

Snowman,

17. hunter1909 says:

PhrankLee: I am hoping the tribute to Ference by the Bruins was not lost on the young guns.

They probably hated it.

If Ference is a for real captain, he’s supposed to be fucking leading them already, not accepting accolades from a rival team. Sheesh.

18. justDOit says:

I fear the prediction made by Woodguy might come true with the Kings, although it still might not happen until season’s end – Gagner plus for Quick.

19. art vandelay says:

Gagner?
    On a team coached by that mule-head Sutter, who only coaches one end of the ice and it’s not Gagner’s end?
    Do you people even watch hockey when it doesn’t involve The Mickey Mouse Club?

20. cc says:

I often wonder how I would deploy the forward lines and if there’s a way to quickly fix the second line, I personally can’t see a quick fix. The way I look at the team, is it might make sense to go out and try and get two players like Gordon this off-season. Sign two guys like; Kulemin, Moss, Winnik, Downie, Fiddler, J. Mitchell, McClement, Goc and put together two tough minute lines.

Then deploy your secondary scoring line, much like a 4th line. Trade Gagner for a guy like Grigorenko and pair him with Yakupov. Play them roughly 10 minutes / night on evens. In favourable matchup’s/zone starts. With the money saved with Gagner sign two strong two-way players.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Lander-Gordon-Perron
    Hendricks-Goc-Kulemin
    x-Grigorenko-Yakupov –

The x would be either a 7th defenseman (like TB uses), Gazdic, Pitlick or Arcobello. But I would 2ble shift other players (Hall, Nuge, Perron, Eberle, Kulemin …) through the lineup with Grig & Yak. Maybe Grig & Yak play great together develop good chemistry and eventually become that secondary scoring line you want.

It also solves some of the concerns with RNH PKin some people have. You would have Gordon, Lander, Goc, Hendricks & Kulemin who all have PK experience.

art vandelay:
    Gagner?
    Do you people even watch hockey when it doesn’t involve The Mickey Mouse Club?

Bob MacKenzie is the one talking about Gagner to LAK.

If you have a problem with the rumour, take it up with him.

22. Snowman says:

hunter1909: Hemsky can join a playoff bound team this season, who will not have to pay him a lot of salary; and he’s UFA at their season’s end so no need for them to worry as they can simply let him walk unless he’s prepared to take a cut.Oilers meanwhile have a 1st overall pick Yakupov wasting and withering on the vine. You prefer Hemsky, overpaid as a 60 point player now only capable of 40 points to making room for Yakupov? That’s how it appears.

I prefer they keep Eberle, Yak and Hemsky as the RWs in that order. Until Yak proves he is a better fit with Hall and RNH he can stay on the 2nd line with Perron. Hemsky is a pretty good 3rw for the Boyd Gordon line. He provides what you need for a depth winger, solid all around hockey with some scoring touch. You don’t have to pay Hemsky a tonne I don’t think. I think he’ll take a hometown discount if you give up a bit on term. I’d love to see him retire an Oiler.

Rishaug said on the 1260 morning show that BUF was awful and he couldn’t see them catching EDM.

I guess he doesn’t look at the standings.

Maybe because it looks like a spreadsheet?

Anyhow,

As of today:
    BUF pts%=.352
    EDM pts%=.368

If BUF wins in reg tonight:
    EDM pts%=.362
    BUF pts%=.364

*sigh*

24. Snowman says:

hunter1909: Snowman, ps: Hemsky lighting up the Oilers in future will probably make me shake my head and smile wistfully. Yakupov being shifted for used cars might make me quit watching hockey. Hemsky probably won’t last another 5 seasons. Yakupov might be around until 2030.

Keeping Yak and keeping Hemsky are not mutually exclusive options. You can do both I believe. And I also believe you should.

25. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I thought he’d be second center, faceoffs etc on the PK. That’s the better plan because you can get Nuge out there on the shift after the penalty expires. Now there’s more than one way to do that, if the second line was clicking for instance, but Hendricks should be doing a lot of PK work and be the second PK center.

When Nuge PKs late into the penalty, Big D puts out Gagner for the first EV shift after. But he puts him out with Hall & Ebs. I presume this is to give Gagner as big a push as possible. I also presume that BIg D is trying this for awhile because the numbers reveal RNH as a stellar PKer, and it hasn’t hurt the rest of his game as VOR pointed out yesterday.

26. fuzzy muppet says:

It’s beyond sad that An Early February game against last place Buffalo is likely the most important game of the season.

Sam Gagner can “showcase” what a terrible player he’s become. Taylor Hall can continue to try and throw cross-ice passes through traffic time after time. Don’t worry though. Dallas Eakins will blame Yakupov.

I’m not sure this team won’t finish last NEXT season.

Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins 3m
    #oilersfans Bryzgalov gets the start. Joensuu goes back in and Jones gets a rest. Same D expected. SuperBowl proves again that defense wins.

Jones getting HS on one of the worst teams in the league again, same as last year.

Can’t wait for MacT to offer him another contract in early July.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
    Petry (foot) participating in #Oilers morning skate in Buffalo. Missed yesterday’s practice after blocking a shot vs. Boston.

Looks like Petry is in, soft college kid.

29. Chris says:

Thus far MacT’s trades have been okayish. So I’m not particularly worried. The Smid trade was puzzling but given that Smid’s play with the flames had been putrid I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on unloading a declining asset. As far as trading Dubnyk went, there were really two options stand pat and hope things got better (this was Tambelini’s preferred option every time) or shake things up while Dubnyk had limited value.

If we are sending Gagner away you have to think its for a defenseman. It just doesn’t make sense otherwise.

30. linkfromhyrule says:

wow vanek leaving the isles kind of screwed them a bit..

I think the oilers need the olympic break more than anyone. They desperately need a reset. This clash of the heavyweights in the race for the #1OV pick should be at least…competitive?

There are so many overdue changes and problems with this team that it really makes me wonder about the abilities of MacT and eakins as evaluators of what is wrong with this team.

I was encouraged by chara promising to tutor marincin. Shadow him young slovak!!

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 2m
    Nolan says Omark will play with Ennis and Stafford tonight vs. his former team.

32. dangilitis says:

RexLibris,

What is wrong with Joel Ward? Except for being on the wrong side of 30.

He is big and can play with skill, so fits all of the Oilers’ requirements.

More objectively, he can put up respectable numbers, even excluding his playoff aberration.
    His corsi hovers around 0 on a bad team, and he’s half the price tag of Clarkson. I don’t think 3 mil this season or next for him is an overpay. He’s outscoring Hemsky this year and since 2009, Hemsky only has a 175-134 edge in points.

And as for Pisani, why don’t you try suffering with Ulcerative Colitis for a couple years, lose 20% of your body weight (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=416969), and see how that affects your work performance (and I assume your job is not nearly as physical)? No one doubts that was an overpay, but there was a player there and had he fulfilled the 3rd line role at his 05-06 regular season levels for the next 4 years, this would have been a reasonable ask of him. Boyd Gordon seems like an overpay at first glance, but nobody, me included, is questioning it. You wouldn’t be questioning Pisani’s contract if he played like regular Pisani, not the 05-06 playoff enigma that was high-fiving himself in his sleep.

Sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine when people blame an organization for signing a player who develops health concerns. That’s like saying that Minnesota shouldn’t have re-signed Josh Harding. I would take a player of that character on my team any day of the week, health notwithstanding. You just need to have a contingency plan in case the health worsens.

spoiler: When Nuge PKs late into the penalty, Big D puts out Gagner for the first EV shift after.But he puts him out with Hall & Ebs. I presume this is to give Gagner as big a push as possible.I also presume that BIg D is trying this for awhile because the numbers reveal RNH as a stellar PKer, and it hasn’t hurt the rest of his game as VOR pointed out yesterday.

What metric was used to describe RNH as stellar?

Many use Shots Against/60, as goal against is mostly goalie driven.

MARKARCOBELLO 57.9
    RYANNUGENT-HOPKINS 55.1
    RYANJONES 54.2
    BOYDGORDON 49.9
    WILLACTON 49.6
    RYANSMYTH 49.3
    JORDANEBERLE 46.9
    MATTHENDRICKS 44
    ANTONLANDER 36.5

I wouldn’t use “stellar” to describe 55.1/60

Below NHL average is more correct

RNH’s 55.1 SA/60 ranks him 154/177

34. hunter1909 says:

Let’s not sugar coat this: Tonight’s game might as well be called The PALOOKA Cup.

And get this: Most fans of other NHL teams don’t even despise Oiler fans anymore. They feel sorry for us. Imagine that, when your opponents feel sorry for you.

Every last one says the same thing: it’s 100% Kevin Lowe+++ any random old boy here altogether essentially running the Oilers not like a NHL team – instead it’s the Leatherface House from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Maybe Lowe’s keeping Wild Bill Hunter going in a secret apartment next to his office.

35. Yeti says:

Woodguy: SuperBowl proves again that defense wins.

Yes. It would be nice to have one.

36. linkfromhyrule says:

hey what ever happened to DSF? or deadcatbounce or whatever his name is. Has he taken a hiatus now that the oilers have gone (further) to hell?

Tyler has a really good post up on how WAS run’s their elite PP around getting Ovechkin good looks for one timers and how the Oilers don’t do anything like it.

linkfromhyrule:

He is now The Great One.

Talking about Wellwood and everything!

39. nelson88 says:

Curious as to opinions on Edler as 1st pairing D target? Tough year but he is the right side of 30 and has played well in the past. Would likely have to be a 3 way deal but if the Canucks have another early exit Gillis (if he is still there) is going to need to do something.

40. Jordan says:

Woodguy:

Great share WG – Thanks.

I sure hope the Oilers leverage some of this info – god knows they need all the help they can get!

41. book¡je says:

Woodguy: He is now The Great One.

Talking about Wellwood and everything!

Should have been “The Grate One”

book¡je: Should have been “The Grate One”

I almost wrote that.

43. spoiler says:

Woodguy: What metric was used to describe RNH as stellar?Many use Shots Against/60, as goal against is mostly goalie driven.Here’s all the Oilers Forwards who average 1min/60 or more on the PK and their shots against/60MARKARCOBELLO 57.9RYANNUGENT-HOPKINS 55.1RYANJONES 54.2BOYDGORDON 49.9WILLACTON 49.6RYANSMYTH 49.3JORDANEBERLE 46.9MATTHENDRICKS 44ANTONLANDER 36.5I wouldn’t use “stellar” to describe 55.1/60Below NHL average is more correctThere are 177 NHL forwards who have played more than 20 games and average +1min/60 on the PK.RNH’s 55.1 SA/60 ranks him 154/177http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=38&rs=t&f1=2013_s&f2=4v5&f4=C+LW+RW&f7=20-&f8=1-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+38+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#snip=f

Hmm, don’t we use SV% for goalies, because GA is not goalie-driven?

44. book¡je says:

Woodguy: What metric was used to describe RNH as stellar?

Many use Shots Against/60, as goal against is mostly goalie driven.

MARKARCOBELLO57.9
    RYANNUGENT-HOPKINS55.1
    RYANJONES54.2
    BOYDGORDON49.9
    WILLACTON49.6
    RYANSMYTH49.3
    JORDANEBERLE46.9
    MATTHENDRICKS44
    ANTONLANDER36.5

I wouldn’t use “stellar” to describe 55.1/60

Below NHL average is more correct

RNH’s 55.1 SA/60 ranks him 154/177

Maybe the #1pk should be Lander and Hendricks. It might happen if Lander would punch a few faces every once in a while.

45. book¡je says:

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres2m
    Nolan says Omark will play with Ennis and Stafford tonight vs. his former team.

Thank goodness, the guy needs a goal and its good to see him getting a chance at a sure thing like this to help jump start him.

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack 45s
    Eakins says D-pairings may be shuffled tonight.

I take this to mean that the disaster that was Ference-Fraser is no more.

Looking forward to the disaster that will be NShultz-Fraser to take its place.

I run:
    21-19 25min
    85-2 25min
    5-15 10min

Or the above ratio given special teams time.

spoiler: Hmm, don’t we use SV% for goalies, because GA is not goalie-driven?

Not following you.

It varies wildly for many players year to year. Very random.

Shots Against is a better metric to evaluate non-goalies 4v5 because that is something they do have direct impact on and is a repeatable skill.

48. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins 3m

Can someone tweet back and let Dallas know that I would love to see his team play some defence, or maybe some offence, or just some hockey in general.

49. VOR says:

woodguy,

Love it. Once again you have made my argument for me. Though before I go further you say, “many use shots per 60 minutes.” I want to know who the many are. Please provide a list of names.

Second, you lectured me yesterday on how it was wrong of me to use year to date statistics and not the last few games. You picked the last ten games as the hill to die on. So I looked at the last ten games with the exception of the Boston game and it sure looked like RNH was killing it. Now in an attempt to prove me wrong you are using his year to date stats, committing the very same error you accused me of committing.

Re-read my posts, I never said he was stellar year to date. He hasn’t been. Nope, I simply said the PKing wasn’t hurting the rest of the game. Then you chose the 10 game definition and if you don’t look at the Boston game in the ten before that or last 11 if you prefer his PKing was at least above average and the rest of his game was improving as well. That is just what the numbers show.

The same numbers show that if you ignore the Boston game he was at 31 shots against per 60 minutes played on the PK in the last 10. Now Woodguy, by your own definition, that is stellar. 1 goal against in over 20 minutes of penalty killing is also stellar given that includes three different goaltenders. He was brutal in Boston, but that was, as far as I can tell, the most PK minutes he has ever played and against a very good team.

You have yet to offer any proof that RNH shouldn’t be PKing. You say it is just your opinion that 1Cs shouldn’t PK. Yet, whenever anybody suggest otherwise you sure don’t sound like someone offering an opinion. You come off more like the Oracle at Delphi.

50. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack 45s
    Eakins says D-pairings may be shuffled tonight.

I take this to mean that the disaster that was Ference-Fraser is no more.

Disaster… What are you talking about? Their personal character rating is through the roof and Fraser was averaging 47 “C’mon Boys” per 60 with Ference close behind him.

51. Melman says:

Is there any reality where Ryan Callahan would sign here? I can’t think that he would, and although he’s not a giant he would bring leadership, grit and defensive responsibility to the 2C spot.

52. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

, Anyhow,
    As of today:
    BUF pts%=.352
    EDM pts%=.368
    If BUF wins in reg tonight:
    EDM pts%=.362
    BUF pts%=.364
    ****************************************************************

Like accident victims – I don’t think some Oiler fans, truly, appreciate the above.

President of Hockey Operations: Kevin Lowe
    General Manager: Craig McTavish
    Head Coach: Dallas Eakins

53. VOR says:

Spoiler,

Actually, most posts I have seen on penalty killinng use GA/60 not shots per 60. However, as I said in my previous post the real trick woodguy is using is to change the definition. We were debating recent performance yesterday and now he is back on year to date.

54. Pouzar says:

Trade!

Dale Weise has been traded to the Montreal Canadiens for defenseman Raphael Diaz.

55. hunter1909 says:

Nice fairy tale about Buffalo’s management prepared to sit up late on the off chance something might happen.

That’s an expansion team in transition to contender you’re using to illustrate your point. Lowe’s a fat headed middle aged know it all – probably in bed or dead drunk by 11:15 pm at the latest, except game nights.

And Lowe’s team is a 20 years wandering in the desert former dynasty, with no hope of becoming anything much more than carrion for 29 GM’s, by most accounts.

56. Lois Lowe says:

book¡je,

The Edmonton Oilers: Busting Slumps Since 2006

57. linkfromhyrule says:

VOR,

I thought it was not as accurate to use GA/60 as compared to SA/60 because of the higher incidence of shots compared to goals. I mean, obviously GA are scored at a higher rate on the PK, but it does paint a more realistic picture to look at shots imo.

I personally don’t have any problem with RNH on the pk, but I’m just not sure he is at the level yet where he should be seeing heavy PK time. The PK should draw primarily from the third and fourth lines, if they are filled with effective players. In this case, I don’t see much other option….

58. book¡je says:

hunter1909:

I don’t understand how Kevin Lowe’s bedtime habits or any other parts of his personal life are relevant. You just look like an idiot making comments like this. Grow up. There are load of really valid criticisms you can make about Lowe and his role with the Oilers.

VOR,

I want to know who the many are. Please provide a list of names.

Pretty much every fancy stats guys. Take your pick. Eric Thulsty, Tyler Dellow, check out the SB blogs for the Kings, Sharks, Montreal, Oilers, there’s lots to choose from.

No, I pointed out to you that RNH’s yearly stats were misleading as he was playing 2PK lately. That is all.

. You picked the last ten games as the hill to die on

I really don’t understand this statement. Again, I pointed out that he was playing more lately and that his toi/60 for season was lower than what he was actually doing in the last 10 games.

There is no hill, and I have no intention of dying on one if there was. Please point out where I’m dying on a hill.

RNH was killing it in what way?

Re-read my posts, I never said he was stellar year to date.

I was responding to Spoiler who used the word Stellar not you.

In yesterday’s thread I did not mention how good, or how not good RNH was doing at the PK.

Not once did I mention his ability.

My problem is using the 1C on the PK.

You keep going to me jumping on RNH having a bad game in BOS and I did not do it.

Please show me where I said this.

If that is what he has done in the last 10 games, then yes that is excellent.

I have no time for Goals Against for measuring any non-goalie. It doesn’t measure anything they can impact.

That is exactly it. Including the Oracle thing.

I am of the opinion that 1C is not a good PK choice unless the team is really deep in scoring.

I stated that in yesterday’s thread too.

Please point out to me where I berated a poster for saying something different?

VOR:
    Spoiler,

Many people used flawed metrics.

Many people who get paid to give opinions on hockey insist that Win/Loss is a valid measure of a goalie. It doesn’t make it a good metric.

I am showing year to date performance because that is what is handy and a good way to measure ability over time on an equal basis.

I pulled out RNH TOI/gm only for the last 10 games to show that he was playing more than his season average.

That is all.

You attribute a lot of things to me that I never said.

You should quote me if you are going to attribute things to me because your recall doesn’t match reality.

61. linkfromhyrule says:

Woodguy,

lol woodguy you forgot to drop the mic

Pouzar:
    Trade!

Bergevin is wrecking what was a fine MTL team.

I bet LT is heart broken.

63. Ducey says:

book¡je: I don’t understand how Kevin Lowe’s bedtime habits or any other parts of his personal life are relevant.You just look like an idiot making comments like this.Grow up.There are load of really valid criticisms you can make about Lowe and his role with the Oilers.

Come on Bookije,

Give Hunter a break. Hardly any of his criticisms are ever relevant.

64. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: My point was not using 4v5 Goals Against On/60 as a metric for defining forwards/dmen as to who is good on the PK because Goals Against is very SV% driven and it has been shown that players on the ice do not impact SV% much if at all.

It Is those Save % faireis Again.

Clearly the teams with better GA have better save % fairies.

65. book¡je says:

Ducey: Come on Bookije,

Give Hunter a break.Hardly any of his criticisms are ever relevant.

Good point.

66. goldenchild says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy at first I wondered why Oilers wouldnt of been in on Diaz then I decieded that of the two players they would probably have targeted Weise which wuld have resulted in another day of me banging my head against the wall.

I have no idea what Bergevin and Therrien think they are doing but they are digging a hole that is going to be very difficult for the next regime to dig out of.

rickithebear: It Is those Save % faireis Again.

Clearly the teams with better GA have better save % fairies.

Here’s Ryan Kessler’s 5v5 ONSV% over the years.

Explain exactly how he’s impacting these numbers:

2007-2008 Season 922
    2008-2009 Season 909
    2009-2010 Season 893
    2010-2011 Season 928
    2011-2012 Season 931
    2012-2013 Season 880
    2013-2014 Season 904

goldenchild,

Ha!

69. Marcus Oilerius says:

I am choked to be vying for last place with two thirds of the season gone.

The reality of returning to the tanking years hit me in the gut.

Both teams are starting their backups. They’ve made their intentions clear.

70. Bag of Pucks says:

LT, if you’re going to cite acquiring Cam Barker as proof of Tambellini’s incompetence, than the same standard should apply for MacT’s acquisition of Grebeshkov this season. Both were crappy d-men well past their best buy date.

Of course, the primary difference between the two is that Eakins’ wasn’t stupid enough to play Grebs repeatedly and Renney was stupid enough to play Barker, Krueger – Whitney, etc. Or more likely, as we all know, the suck on purpose plan was well underway and the goal was to stay non-competitive and cap compliant (i.e. Barker was a warm body and a useful pylon to guarantee the 1st OV).

I find this current narrative especially puzzling because you along with the majority of the Oilogosphere cited the Barker acquisition at the time as precisely the kind of low risk bet that Tambellini should be making (i.e. taking a flyer on a reclamation project).

There’s enough damning evidence against Tambellini (did the guy win a single trade?) that we shouldn’t have to lean on Cam Barker as the smoking gun.

71. Bag of Pucks says:

PhrankLee:

True dat.

72. The Great One says:

Woodguy:
    goldenchild,

Ha!

Bieksa, Tanev, Weber and Alberts are all injured so the Canucks desperately needed some help on the back end.

That the Canucks were able to trade a player whose best skill is blocking punches with his face for a top 4 defenseman with a cap hit of $1.25M is pretty good work by Gillis and it gives him another option in the offseason.

73. The Great One says:

Bag of Pucks,

The problem with the Barker signing was that the Oilers planned on him being a top 4 D and paid him accordingly.

74. Ducey says:

Pouzar:

Its hard to see any deals involving money being done until the deadline on March 5.

Most contending teams are tight to the cap and adding a player with some money on his contract means you pro-rate that over an extra month.

I don’t pretend to know how contracts are paid out but if you take Hemsky’s contract and pro-rate it over a calendar year, thats and extra $417,000 in salary to his new team.

To do that now just to get the benefit of the player for 3 or 4 games before the Olympic break doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Plus sellers know that the prices tend to go up closer to the deadline.

75. Bag of Pucks says:

The Great One:
    Bag of Pucks,

You have to pay players more to join a perennial loser in an arctic wasteland. Tambellini wasn’t the first Oilers GM to do this, nor will he be the last.

The Great One: Diaz is UFA at the end of the season and Montreal was apparently having trouble re-signing him.

MTL playing Murray over Diaz is a head scratcher.

I agree that Gillis wins this one going away.

77. gogliano says:

Woodguy:

I guess he doesn’t look at the standings.

Maybe because it looks like a spreadsheet?

Anyhow,

As of today:
    BUF pts%=.352
    EDM pts%=.368

If BUF wins in reg tonight:
    EDM pts%=.362
    BUF pts%=.364

*sigh*

Though BUF is where they are in spite of decent goaltending by Miller. Calgary and Edmonton can point to pretty bad team save percentage. If BUF deals Miller and don’t get comparable goaltending they’ll sink like a stone.

gogliano: Though BUF is where they are in spite of decent goaltending by Miller. Calgary and Edmonton can point to pretty bad team save percentage.If BUF deals Miller and don’t get comparable goaltending they’ll sink like a stone.

Agreed.

BUF is the only team in the NHL under 2 goal for/game.

They are almost mirror images of each other.

I’d take BUF’s D over EDM and goaltending

EDM’s F’s are way better and its not close.

79. Ducey says:

Marcus Oilerius:

Both teams are starting their backups.They’ve made their intentions clear.

I thought both of the Oilers goalies were backups!

BUF’s sh% is also a godawful 5.5%.

Not sure it can stay that low, regardless on how bad their F’s are, that’s just ridiculous.

81. j says:

Bag of Pucks,

I make no excuses for the current Oilers defense but the big difference is that MacT brought Grebs over as insurance. MacT had designs around Ference, Belov, and Larsen all penciled in above Grebs (as far as new Oilers goes). With Barker, he was paraded around as a headliner and there were no other players behind him in the event he failed. Renney had no other viable options at the time. Again, I am not suggesting MacT did enough with his top 6 but this was a relatively low risk signing and he stated as much.

82. Ribs says:

Too much kicking and screaming coming from Bad Ryan Jones. Scratch’im.

Hmm…

83. Ducey says:

j:
    Bag of Pucks,

I make no excuses for the current Oilers defense but the big difference is that MacT brought Grebs over as insurance.MacT had designs around Ference, Belov,and Larsen all penciled in above Grebs (as far as new Oilers goes).With Barker, he was paraded around as a headliner and there were no other players behind him in the event he failed.Renney had no other viable options at the time.Again, I am not suggesting MacT did enough with his top 6 but this was a relatively low risk signing and he stated as much.

84. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Hendricks isn’t PKing gradually.

He’s on PK1 with Gordon.

I haven’t had a chance to watch many games recently, so I was offering up options for those who had mentioned seeing otherwise.

Glad he is on PK1, that is what he was brought in to do. But I had noticed, again in limited viewings of late, that I was seeing Nugent-Hopkins come on the PK in the dying seconds. This I attributed to Hendricks’ involvement.

85. Ducey says:

Ribs:
    Too much kicking and screaming coming from Bad Ryan Jones. Scratch’im.

Hmm…

So you are saying they are worried about Ryan Jones playing too well?

When is the last time (if there was a time) Ryan needed to worry about that?

86. Bag of Pucks says:

Ducey: Its almost seemed like that when they brought in Barker they were not interested in winning.

That’s the thing. Barker was brought in to help ensure the suck and he performed that task remarkably well. Guy shouldn’t be getting flak from Oiler fans. If anything, he should be getting a bust in the Turnstile Hall of Fame.

87. gcw_rocks says:

book¡je,

Don’t forget growl. Fraser’s growl per 60 was off the charts

88. Marcus Oilerius says:

Ducey: I thought both of the Oilers goalies were backups!

*rimshot*

89. Gerta Rauss says:

Ben:
    Can anyone explain to me why teams would make trades before the Olympic freeze?

In theory, contenders could also dump salary prior to the break to teams willing to take on those dollars in exchange for compensation(ie: sweetening whatever deals are made)…unfortunately this type of thinking only happens on internet message boards, and rarely happens in real life. Any deals prior to the break are probably dollar in/dollar out type of deals.

90. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: BUF’s sh% is also a godawful 5.5%.

Against the Oilers?

Here’s a good column from Scott Cullen at TSN that uses ONSH% and ONSV% among other things and uses them well, most notably to the the piss out of Ovechkin’s Goals Against using ONSV%.

92. Gerta Rauss says:

nelson88:

Yeah, he’d be a nice pickup. We’ll have to see how the Canucks season shakes out-no chance he goes anywhere before the end of the season. If the Canucks bow out early(or miss the playoffs altogether) there could be big changes in Vancouver.

I didn’t quite catch it, did anyone else hear Bob and Matty talking about Gagner for Stafford?

Stafford has one year left at $4MM.

94. Gerta Rauss says:

Melman:
    Is there any reality where Ryan Callahan would sign here?I can’t think that he would, and although he’s not a giant he would bring leadership, grit and defensive responsibility to the 2C spot.

95. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Trading a pretty reasonable Dman who puts up a blue bubble without zone start help for a guy you can pick up for nothing every summer is a head scratcher.

As for kesler!
    Lower shot rate inside 30ft and lower success rate form opposition. on the PK.
    i have not looked at his evens.

My philosophy;
    There is a reduced success rate for shots as you move further away from the net.
    I want less shots inside………..
    And some are better at reducing the shot luck closer to the net.

i want these guys and the ones with good take away giveaway ratios.

Corsi of a player is dictated by: zone utilization on Face-off; in partner with face off%; and bench utilization. like in basketball. Pocession versus no pocession in line changes.

There is luck!

Give me a player with a history of forcing perimeter and lower success in area they influence.

96. Jasmine says:

oilersfan,

Oilers fans doing what they do best and that’s running players out of town.

97. Jasmine says:

art vandelay,

The only Mickey Mouse Club are certain Oilers fans that run Oilers players and Oilers coaches out of town and bash the Oilers and cheer for the team to lose.

Romulus Apotheosis:

LA needs other GM’s to think he has options to bring down the price of Moulson or Vanek. Hence, the Gagner rumours.

99. Ducey says:

godot10: LA needs other GM’s to think he has options to bring down the price of Moulson or Vanek.Hence, the Gagner rumours.

Yeah, its not like Lombardi can just pick up the phone and tell Snow that “I am looking at Gagner too”.

He needs to manufacture rumours.

100. The Great One says:

Woodguy: MTL playing Murray over Diaz is a head scratcher.

I agree that Gillis wins this one going away.

Yeah, playing Murray while healthy scratching Diaz is baffling.

A closer look here:

rickithebear: Diaz is onre of the 1st comp and low 20ft in Dmen who gets reduced shot success from opposition.

As for kesler!
    Lower shot rate inside 30ft and lower success rate form opposition. on the PK.
    i have not looked at his evens.

My philosophy;
    I want less shots inside………..
    And some are better at reducing the shot luck closer to the net.

i want these guys and the ones with good take away giveaway ratios.

Corsi of a player is dictated by: zone utilization on Face-off;in partner with face off%; andbench utilization. like in basketball. Pocession versus no pocession in line changes.

There is luck!

How are you determining success or failure at different shot rates?

Where are you getting the info?

The Great One: Yeah, playing Murray while healthy scratching Diaz is baffling.

A closer look here:

Yeah, I follow Andrew Birkshire on twitter and read Eyes on the Prize all the time.

Another good mathy blog that marries fancystats and what you see very well.

Gerta Rauss: The consensus around these parts is that he is playing RW, not C. And if you believe the scuttlebutt, he is looking for $6M year over a long term.

Yes, Callahan has only taken 15 draws all year.

Top 5 in draws for NYR are:

Stepan
    Richards
    Brassard
    Boyle
    Moore

Boyle and Moore are at 444 and 474 respectively, next highest is JT Miller with 47 draws.

Melman:

Callahan is a RW.

105. Jeremy says:

Going to the game tonight in Buffalo, hopefully I can stay sober long enough to form some sort of a coherent opinion of how O’mark is being used and if he looks any better in Buffalo.

Long interview with Ference on Bob’s show.

Worth a listen when it hits the archives.

Basically said in about 20 different ways that the Oiler’s skilled guys don’t work hard enough.

Doesn’t come right out and say exactly that, but listen to the interview and it comes through loud and clear.

Jeremy:

Looking forward to the trip report!

Sorry about all the posts today.

Basically have nothing to do until I leave for the airport at 6:30.

I’ll try to back off for a bit.

109. delooper says:

Woodguy:

That sounds fair.

So it sounds like I missed a little while I was gone. The Oilers won a few more games than have been typical this season. But they’re still losing more than they win.

Anyone know a way to watch Scrivens’s big game? I’d like to see that.

I got to handle a crocodile. Was quite young, about 2 feet long. Those things have such pretty eyes.

110. Jeremy says:

Woodguy,

Well I can tell you right off the bat that it starts off bad… My wife put my tickets through the wash.

111. "Steve Smith" says:

delooper: Anyone know a way to watch Scrivens’s big game?I’d like to see that.

Watching that sounds like fun in principle, but in fact it was almost traumatic. Lost in the talk about the goalie making 59 saves is that the Oilers allowed 59 shots.

112. LoDog says:

delooper: That sounds fair.

So it sounds like I missed a little while I was gone.The Oilers won a few more games than have been typical this season.But they’re still losing more than they win.

Anyone know a way to watch Scrivens’s big game?I’d like to see that.

I got to handle a crocodile.Was quite young, about 2 feet long.Those things have such pretty eyes.

Save yourself the pain of watching the whole game and just watch this:

All 59 saves.

I am not sure if I want to watch tonights game. Depressing enough watching this team but if they lose and/or play like crap against Buffalo……

Sport Ilustrated article on FancyStats in hockey and focuses on a guy who’s stuff I read all the time Eric Tulsky.

Jeremy:
    Woodguy,

Well I can tell you right off the bat that it starts off bad…My wife put my tickets through the wash.

Good times.

There are some Copper n Blue guys going to the game too.

115. Jeremy says:

Woodguy,

I was this close to not letting do my laundry anymore.

116. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Sorry about all the posts today.

Basically have nothing to do until I leave for the airport at 6:30.

I’ll try to back off for a bit.

Way to contain yourself :)

117. delooper says:

LoDog: Save yourself the pain of watching the whole game and just watch this:

All 59 saves.

Thanks. I agree, that’s probably better than watching the game.

Could I make a similar request. Does anyone have a compilation of Hemsky’s do-it-yourselfers, end-to-end goals? That could keep me happy for quite some time.

Ducey: Given that you posted again at 1:54 (and then again 2 minutes later), “a bit” = 26 minutes

Way to contain yourself

I’m all about self control.

…..wait a minute…

dammit!

119. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy:
    Long interview with Ference on Bob’s show.

Worth a listen when it hits the archives.

We talk a lot of roster imbalance / holes but THIS is the biggest concern of all. Aside from Hall, the core is not trending favourably particularly in the areas of work ethic and defensive play.

One of the main factors MacT cited in favour of hiring Eakins was his ability with the Marlies to get players to commit to the dirty work. I’m not a fire the coach guy, but at some point Eakins’ squad has to start demonstrating this committment. Against Boston, the area in front of the B’s net might as well have been a no fly zone. Hugely disappointing how little this team wants it on some nights – particularly against the bigger physical squads.

Was watching the latest episode of Oil Change, in particular the scene with RNH and J Schultz lounging around on their comfy couch playing video games, and it got me wondering if some of these players will ever have the intestinal fortitude it takes to win at the highest level in this league? At this point, I think the prospect of RNH, Eberle, J Schultz, Gagner, etc. taking one for the team on a consistent basis is as likely as my two teenaged sons running outside of their own volition to build me a new fence.

Things really haven’t changed that much since Steve Kelly/Shane Doan. This org still overvalues skill and undervalues will at the draft table. Thankfully Moroz and Nurse seem like steps in the right direction.

120. gogliano says:

VIDEO GAMES! COMFY COUCHES! FANCY DANS!

Our will will not triumph until we get rid of this fluff.

121. LMHF#1 says:

Bag of Pucks

122. Bag of Pucks says:

LMHF#1: Wait, what? The Kelly/Doan thing was about them being obsessed with Kelly’s skating. They loved guys who could skate but not play hockey at the time.

Skating’s a skill?

123. hankster says:

Woodguy:
    Long interview with Ference on Bob’s show.

Worth a listen when it hits the archives.

sounds like the same locker room split before. Vets not happy with young bloods effort. The young core insisted on dangling through the other team since the vets just wasn’t good enough nor did they command the respect to provide the necessary leadership.

Could imagine the room conversation like this before…
    Horcoff: you can’t cheat for offence like that Ebs, gotta help out.
    Ebs: Why not ? I don’t get paid $6 M to play defence. That’s why they’re called “defenseman” (while rolling his eyes)
    Hall snickers in the background.
    Gagner: scoffs at the captain, “our fans care that we replicate the 80′s Oilers firewagon hockey. F*ck that LA boring crap. Look what my 8 points got me…”
    Horcoff, Schultz Sr and other vets : please…we’re begging you guys now :(

Oilers fans here after every loss: we got an all star core now, ” what the hell is happening here”

How do we get the young core to play defence and make them accountable? I haven’t seen management or coaching demonstrate their knowledge on this question yet. My opinion is that Oilers are the opposite of Boston’s management where they traded Seguin, Kessel and J Thornton. Got to have balls to make tough but right decisions for the organization.

124. hunter1909 says:

hankster: So much criticism towards management , yet, fans don’t look in the mirror as they also seem to have the same love affair for “skills” Everyone needs to be managed, especially the inflated egos of core players. They were made kings before even getting us into one playoff game.

Of course. It’s the fans who keep screwing this team up.

Nice work, Rexall intern.

125. Gerta Rauss says:

Eakins pre game

-Bryz starts
    -Petry is in despite a sore foot
    -he talks about tweeting the lines via his account
    -we’ve got more Fraser to look forward to tonight, same 6 D but the pairings may be shuffled

We’re still kicking it around,” Eakins said. “There’s the idea of just keeping it the same and then we may just shuffle the partners a little bit. Limiting Mark to 12 minutes was more of a case of he hadn’t played in a long time and we wanted to get him comfortable. I would like to up that by a couple of minutes at least and see where he’s at, but it will be the same six D, you might just get a little bit of different look

126. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss: We’re still kicking it around,” Eakins said. “There’s the idea of just keeping it the same for example benching Yakupov, because gawd I hate that little commie and then we may just shuffle the partners a little bit. Limiting Mark to 12 minutes was more of a case of he hadn’t played in a long time and we wanted to get him comfortable. I would like to up that by a couple of minutes at least and see where he’s at, but it will be the same six D, you might just get a little bit of different look

Eakins never really said some of this but…

127. Gerta Rauss says:

I see what you did there Hunter..:)

128. hankster says:

Bag of Pucks,

RNH is different from the others you mentioned. Almost everyone agrees he’s defensively responsible and I would say he’s part of the solution going forward.

Hopefully Oil Change becomes “Culture Change” ….fingers crossed.

The Oilers are in danger of becoming one for the history books where 4 lottery picks + 2 top sevens + ?? still nets a non factor team. Sad but may not be far away.
    Lowe has some thick skin. Hopefully he has the decency to give us a break from this nightmare.
    How does a POHO claim little involvement with a failing team? yet gives himself credit for 6 rings. Such a hedger ! So many are still wondering why there’s no accountability with the players.

129. Bag of Pucks says:

gogliano:
    VIDEO GAMES!COMFY COUCHES!FANCY DANS!

Our will will not triumph until we get rid of this fluff.

It was just a thought. That said, I think it’s fair to say, most Oiler fans would hope that RNH is spending as much time in the weight room as he is on the couch playing X-Box. The question is, with $40mil guaranteed, where does that motivation come from?

130. Bag of Pucks says:

hankster:
    Bag of Pucks,

RNH is different from the others you mentioned.Almost everyone agrees he’s defensively responsible and I would say he’s part of the solution going forward.

131. hankster says:

hunter1909,

Nice one ! bahaha, only wish I was Rexall intern as it’d be safer than a government position. Ten years of progressive suckage may be good for promotion to ….hmmm.

132. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

Long interview with Ference on Bob’s show.
    Worth a listen when it hits the archives.
    ***************************************************************************
    This would jive with what Ference said earlier in the year as well…again very diplomatically.

And if you believe some of the rumours – what Smid said about the young core behind closed doors – sans the diplomatic language.

133. delooper says:

denny33:

What are the rumours, and could you provide whatever is considered the source?

134. Derek says:

gogliano:
    VIDEO GAMES!COMFY COUCHES!FANCY DANS!

Our will will not triumph until we get rid of this fluff.

135. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: I would agree with this, but would also suggest that he’s still largely a periphery player. He HAS to put on some muscle to become a more effective player.

This is a fundamental issue with the team and won’t go away until the boys become men, and MacT adds at least one and preferably two skilled (top 6) veterans with size and strength, and another two top 4 veteran defensemen with size and strength.

Barring that, despite our collective angst after the Boston and SJS games, we didn’t learn anything new about this team, did we?

The Oilers can still run with and usually beat the bottom tier teams.
    The Oilers can occasionally run with the top tier teams as long as they aren’t too big (Pit, Van). It’s a skill thing.
    The Oilers get the tar beat out of them by the big top tier teams.

With the Oilers, it is not plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose, it is plus ça changent pas, plus c’est la même chose (and since I don’t speak French, please, literally, pardon my French)

136. denny33 says:

delooper,

Given what was just written via Ference’s comments – what do you find so disturbing
    about ( I said rumours ) Smid’s comments?

137. Ryan says:

hankster: sounds like the same locker room split before.Vets not happy with young bloods effort.The young core insisted on dangling through the other team since the vets just wasn’t good enough nor did they command the respect to provide the necessary leadership.

Could imagine the room conversation like this before…
    Horcoff: you can’t cheat for offence like that Ebs, gotta help out.
    Ebs: Why not ? I don’t get paid $6 M to play defence.That’s why they’re called “defenseman” (while rolling his eyes)
    Hall snickers in the background.
    Gagner:scoffs at the captain,“our fans care that we replicate the 80′s Oilers firewagon hockey.F*ck that LA boring crap.Look what my 8 points got me…”
    Horcoff, Schultz Sr and other vets :please…we’re begging you guys now

Oilers fans here after every loss:we got an all star core now, ” what the hell is happening here”

So much criticism towards management , yet, fans don’t look in the mirror as they also seem to have the same love affair for “skills”Everyone needs to be managed, especially the inflated egos of core players. They were made kings before even getting us into one playoff game.

How do we get the young core to play defence and make them accountable?I haven’t seen management or coaching demonstrate their knowledge on this question yet.My opinion is that Oilers are the opposite of Boston’s management where they traded Seguin, Kessel and J Thornton.Got to have balls to make tough but right decisions for the organization.

Haha… The only thing fans need to look at themselves in the mirror for is for buying tickets to watch this mess.

As for the elite core, they’re still far from elite so far..

Throwing Hall-Nuge-Eberle over the boards doesn’t exactly unleash hell like Sedin – Sedin – X in their prime or my favorite: Marleau-Thornton-Heatley back in the day.

Yakupov’s a talented little bugger, but he’s the runaway leader in the race for the green jacket, so there’s nothing elite about his overall current level of play.

138. denny33 says:

delooper,

The Edmonton Sun quoted several savoy vets on Sunday, and they were none too pleased. Among the irritated is defenseman Ladislav Smid . As per the Sun’s report:

“If somebody is going to make one mistake, two mistakes, you try to help them. But if it’s going to keep happening over and over, somebody is going to have to stand up and tell him.”

139. delooper says:

denny33:
    Given what was just written via Ference’s comments – whatdo you find so disturbing
    about ( I said rumours ) Smid’s comments?

I’m confused by your post. As far as I can tell I don’t find anything disturbing, I was just asking for as clean a statement of the rumours as possible.

140. delooper says:

denny33:

Ah, okay, does anyone have a link to the article? Sorry for being dense. I’m suffering from 9 hours jetlag. Have been without an internet connection (in Kenya) for the past week.

141. Ryan says:

denny33,

maybe Smid was referring to Eakins lol.

142. denny33 says:

delooper,

You confusion comes from the fact I am a poor writer….I can’ t help it. I have tried.

143. Marcus Oilerius says:

denny33:
    Woodguy,

Long interview with Ference on Bob’s show.
    Worth a listen when it hits the archives.
    ***************************************************************************

Maybe the trio are trying to get Eakins fired? They liked the friendly, happy, play-how-you-like Krueger regime and aren’t really digging Eakins because he’s making them play defense and try hard?

By Jove, the things I’ll think of to excuse this team’s badness.

144. denny33 says:

delooper,

“New captain Andrew Ference agrees. He’s ***stunned*** by the differences between Edmonton and Boston and says tough love has to start at the player level.”

145. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money: This also describes Eberle and Yakupov and Gagner and Petry and Jultz and (to a lesser extent but still needed) Marincin.

The Oilers can still run with and usually beat the bottom tier teams.
    The Oilers can occasionally run with the top tier teams as long as they aren’t too big (Pit, Van).It’s a skill thing.
    The Oilers get the tar beat out of them by the big top tier teams.

Btw, the Oiler are hardly the only youngsters to shrink in the face of the Big Bad Bruins.

Has to take the heart out of a team when your young Captain gets bitch slapped like this.

146. Ribs says:

denny33:
    delooper,

That is an interesting read. Smid was traded five days after it was published.

147. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Woodguy:

He’s on PK1 with Gordon.

Hasn’t happened though.

Looks like they are writing him in pen as 3LW as well.

Again, was hoping they would aim higher.

This is what I don’t understand about the Oilers & MacTavish.
    Players that are on a 4th line on a better team are now 3rd liners on the Oilers?
    Doesn’t MacTavish need to be aiming hire here? Or is this an Eakins thing?

148. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: You’re doing better than me, The RUSH song is the only reason I know that particular snippet of french.

Heh heh, I cribbed it directly from the song … I try to slide as many Rush references into my posts as possible without being noticed, excepting my avatar! (which, in case you can’t see and you probably can’t, is actually the Rush starman in front of the Oiler logo … a commentary on what it feels like to be an Oiler fan these days…)

Oilers off to a nice start, Marincin nice play and then Petry scores.

Petry (Yakupov, Perron)

150. Gerta Rauss says:

hahahaha….the boys sense an opportunity to lock down that 29th place finish

151. Zangetsu says:

So unstoppable force meets immovable object tonight, kinda. This will go a long way in determining DFL.

152. justDOit says:

G Money,

That’s what that is. Your name should be Big Money, except that song isn’t really from their best years, in my opinion anyway.

153. Melman says:

Ribs,

~~ Ahh, but on the bright side all the young lads have taken hold of the lessons and they are now one of the hardest working teams in the league ~~ cough, cough

154. hunter1909 says:

This might be the consolation game for 2006. No idea if the winner is the loser, or vice versa.

155. fuzzy muppet says:

Hall should sit for being stupid. He won’t.

156. RexLibris says:

dangilitis,

Joel Ward was signed to a slightly inflated contract following a breakout playoff campaign.

His value during free-agency was not necessarily aligned with real roster impact during the regular season and the post season does not always provide an accurate picture of a player’s ability.

As for Fernando Pisani and Ulcerative Colitis.

If you knew me at all, personally that is as I don’t get into details online, you would not make this statement. I don’t begrudge you your pet peeve and passion, but you might want to reconsider before going off on me over a comment that has nothing, whatsoever, to do with Pisani’s health or illness. My comments were in regard to his being signed to an inflated contract following another post season run that produced results that were outside of his historical abilities to perform.

I cannot speak to others on this forum, but believe me when I tell you that I can, as much as any other person I know, empathize with Fernando Pisani’s health issues.

Again, I understand your passion, but next time you feel that strongly re-read a comment before replying.

157. fuzzy muppet says:

Well I’ll be. He did bench Hall

158. VanOil says:

Fraser has not demonstrated the ability to receive a pass.

159. Derek says:

Good to see the top line still believes in passing the puck into the net.

160. hunter1909 says:

Boring boring boring.

161. Melman says:

Anyone have a link to the game?

162. Lois Lowe says:

So far Edmonton is being outshot by Buffalo.

163. Ribs says:

Melman:
    Ribs,

Yeah! Just ask Bad Ryan!

“As a player you see the things that are said and written and it’s a Pass The Blame Game,” he said. “The coaches and management don’t play the game. We play the same system as basically every other team in the NHL, it’s the players that lose. Yet they (coaches and managers) take the blame. It’s about time the guys in this lockerroom took a little bit of accountability on themselves and stopped letting other people take the blame.” FRIDAY, JANUARY 24, 2014

164. Melman says:

Ribs,

caught that. weird that he hasn’t been traded to Calgary for that

165. rich says:

The Oiler power play is just brutal.

They need to just decline the penalty for the rest of the season.

166. spoiler says:

Bryz evidently thinks “challenge the shooter” is a drinking game.

167. Melman says:

Melman:
    Anyone have a link to the game?

wow another shorty. On second thought please, please don’t post a link to the game. I haven’t done anything that deserves having to watch

168. Derek says:

1:2 CF against the 30th place team in the league. Allow the league leading 10th SH goal against.

Yep, I’ve seen enough Oilers hockey tonight.

169. justDOit says:

Melman: wow another shorty.On second thought please, please don’t post a link to the game.I haven’t done anything that deserves having to watch

You know, TSN has a hockey game on right now.

170. RexLibris says:

Stauffer ripping the coaching staff for the powerplay.

172. hankster says:

denny33:
    delooper,

STUNNED !

Hallsy : Yo Ebs, thought they said either me or 8 pointer was going to wear the “C” ?
    Ebs: yeah, guess we need to work harder…tonight, u need to flash out of our zone and flip me more no lookers.
    Hallsy: ya ya, then u got to top Omark’s Youtube vid…guys got more hits on his vid than your roofdaddy first goaler.
    Ebs: Gotta give 8 pointer a headsup, he’s our centre tonight.
    Hallsy: shit, who’s covering in case we mess up ?
    Ebs: who cares, TSN highlight of the night baby !! sick moves !!

The only thing that stunned me is being in second last place.

Smid: hey cut it out guys, no ones going to be sick, ok
    Hallsy: yo yo Ebs, did u hear something? I think no talent wants to teach us how to play, bahaha. Ok, Captain, you’ll be wearing a big C soon.

173. Pouzar says:

Why we went away from 5 forwards on the PP is beyond me. We are gonna give up shorties anyway, why not score the odd goal on the PP as well.

174. jake70 says:

Gave up a shorty but could have given up 2 easily.

the Oiler power play, like the goaltending, is a clear and fixable problem. The Oilers choosing to not deal with it tells us their attention is elsewhere.

176. LMHF#1 says:

Andrew Ference has now been on for 6 straight GA, plus the disallowed goal in Boston.

Several different d partners and situations.

Failing of Eakins if he doesn’t see significantly reduced time. He’s a disaster out there.

177. RexLibris says:

Probably not the best way to phrase that ad right now.

178. RexLibris says:

I recall that Craig Simpson was regularly roasted for his lackluster powerplay schemes.

Then they got Pronger and suddenly the man advantage seemed to work more often.

I’m not sure the solution is all personnel, but I think a defensive upgrade is required. At the same time, something needs to change with their schemes, because what they are trying to do right now isn’t working, or at the very least has been read and adapted to by teams in the league.

179. RexLibris says:

Oilers six goals shy of getting to the 200 GA mark first in the season.

180. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I didn’t understand coming back with Bryzgalov before that period, understand it less now. Scrivens is the guy, no?

Not if you’re trying to find Bryz a home for the playoffs. Apparently he prefers Springtime in Edmonton, though.

181. leadfarmer says:

Can we start talking about an extension for Eakins, we only have him locked up for 3 more years.

I am thinking Ferrence might be a buyout candidate before his contract is done. He is only going to go downhill from here.

182. Gerta Rauss says:

Jan Levine with the latest on Callahan-apparently he is asking for $6.5M++ and term…wow.

I’m hopeful Girardi goes to UFA-not that he winds up in Edmonton but you never know, right?

What time does the Oilers game start..?…oh.

183. Henry says:

spoiler:
    Bryz evidently thinks “challenge the shooter” is a drinking game.

Where is Khabbi now?

184. SK Oiler Fan says:

The question remains. How is the coach responsible for this PP still employed? There’s some useful tools there. The incompetence is astounding.
    Has a PP ever had a negative goal differential for the season?
    What a lazy team. Get up early then coast

185. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris:
    Oilers six goals shy of getting to the 200 GA mark first in the season.

There is still 2 periods left

186. spoiler says:

RexLibris: The commercial says that “Homes by Avi is the preferred builder of the Edmonton Oilers”.

Dennis Farina is building houses now? Maybe that’s the real story behind Frankie Four Fingers.

187. leadfarmer says:

RexLibris,

188. spoiler says:

Henry: Where is Khabbi now?

On a massage table in the Blackhawks dressing room, I think. Re-khabbing.

189. The Great One says:

Corsi For% 5V5

Buffalo – 58.1

Edmonton – 41.9

190. fuzzy muppet says:

So who does Edmonton take #1 in 2016?

191. jake70 says:

leadfarmer:
    RexLibris,

The pp is too predictable.They need a shot from the point on the PP, since there is none, no one has to challenge the player on the point allowing all PKs to focus on containment down low.Put a strong slap shot on the point and you will find more space down low

Yeah, I posted on ON a while back a 2008-09 Souray would be nice.

192. Pouzar says:

leadfarmer: RexLibris, The pp is too predictable. They need a shot from the point on the PP, since there is none, no one has to challenge the player on the point allowing all PKs to focus on containment down low. Put a strong slap shot on the point and you will find more space down low

Martin Marincin anybody? But why would we try that? Man I am losing patience with this blatant disregard for the PP.

193. Henry says:

Marincin has made several nice defensive strips one on one. Maybe he can teach the Captain about how to control his gaps.

194. spoiler says:

Can someone–anyone–move their feet? I mean I know it’s a long shift, but you still got to skate.

195. LMHF#1 says:

Bag of Pucks: Skating’s a skill?

You imply Doan wasn’t skilled. Go check the stats for that WHL season.

RexLibris:
    Then they got Pronger and suddenly the man advantage seemed to work more often.

The Pronger powerplay was only 15th in the league. It only seemed like an improvement over the typical 20-something-ish power play coached by MacT and executed by Hemsky. Eakins is clearly cut from the same cloth as MacT.

197. fuzzy muppet says:

Ott’s saying that Edmonton has lots of guys that “cheat the game”.

At what point do they wake up?? Will they?

198. leadfarmer says:

hankster,

That’s what happens when you tank for 3 straight years. Players don’t know how to win.

I was thinking, What if the locker room cancer is Hall. There has been talk over the years about a divide in the locker room between the youngsters and the veterans. Fans blamed the veterans but talk has continued with different veterans. I am guessing RNH and Ebs are fairly easy going so I dont think it’s them. People wanted Hall be the next captain but he is not even an A. It seems like the org has different idea about his leadership ability than fans. Just a theory.

Newer Comments »