We survived the day but night time is the more dangerous part of the day. Weary, and with common sense losing a day-long battle with panic, Oiler fans remain watchful as the giant twitter quakes with news.
TRADE DEADLINE VALUE TABLE
- Ales Hemsky: First-round draft pick (or a second and a fourth).
- Nick Schultz: A third round pick.
- Ryan Smyth: A fourth round pick.
- Corey Potter: A fourth round pick.
- Anton Belov: A fourth round pick.
- Ilya Bryzgalov: A fourth round pick.
- Jesse Joensuu: A fourth round pick.
- Taylor Fedun: A fourth round pick.
- Mark Fraser: A fourth round pick.
- Luke Gazdic: A fifth round pick.
- Ryan Jones: A sixth round pick.
- Denis Grebeshkov: A seventh round pick.
- Ben Eager: A seventh round pick.
When we last left the story, 83′s value had been reduced from my estimate (either #26 overall or #56 and #115) to Bob McKenzie’s “third round pick.” Since then, Hemsky gave an interview in which he appears both old and young—it makes me sad as an Oiler fan.
I argued on LDWLT this morning—and received much push back—that I would rather see the Oilers hold on to Hemsky through the deadline than deal him for a third round pick. Good lord folks, we’ve spent years finding out the value of a third round pick, WE KNOW THIS!
Why in hell should Ray Shero be a hero off the back of Ales Hemsky without Pittsburgh paying in full? Sign Ales Hemsky. It’s the right thing to do.