RHYMIN’ SIMON

As we edge nearer to the trade deadline, names are coming into view on the rumor wire. They’ll mostly be forgotten like yesterday’s news, but some of these young men may end up being “the other name” in trades and will become part of the team we follow.

One such name is Simon Despres (pronounced Simone Duh-pray based on audio evidence). I spoke about him here and his name may be in play. Why is he in play? The Penguins might have the two best forwards in the game, and some nice complementary pieces, but they can’t ice 12 good men and true. In fact, 9F is a stretch.

DESPRES PLAYER CARD

despres player card

His WOWY is and his Corsi On show some nice things, I haven’t seen him enough to know if Niskanen is doing the zooming. His resume screams size, mobility and efficient puck movement—Dallas Eakins will like all of it.

The Oilers have some nice blue on the way, but this fellow seems a little farther along. A name to keep in mind this week.

54 Responses to "RHYMIN’ SIMON"

1. Halfwise says:

I prefer the uninformed version of pronouncing that name. Because…Despresate times call for despresate measures.

Ba-dum Tisssh.

2. stevezie says:

I’m holding out hope for Maata. I do not consider this a realistic hope, but if Shero was willing to give two seconds for Murray… if we send, say, Dillon Simpson along with your forward of choice maybe they think about it?

3. TheBusDriver86 says:

Whats up with his games played?

4. sliderule says:

Cap geek has Despres listed as non roster player.

Is he in AHL?

sliderule:
    Cap geek has Despres listed as non roster player.

Is he in AHL?

Yes. He’s in the minors currently.

6. Logan91 says:

The Penguins haven’t been to happy with him for over a month now, he started out solid at the beginning of the season but his play started to decline big time. Pretty sure he got sent down a while ago.

There’s definitely a good player there though, i’d be happy if the Oilers traded for him.

7. Traktor says:

Another Left shot, pretty much still a rookie that wouldn’t help that much right now, and his potential isn’t that great.

For free, sure. I wouldn’t give up much though since he doesn’t fill a need at all.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus’ Apotheosis ‏@RomulusNotNuma 13m
    @okcbarons @JonathanWillis What’s wrong with Pitlick?

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons 11m
    @RomulusNotNuma @JonathanWillis Tweaked something in his lower body. Has been skating, not serious.

9. Pouzar says:

1. OKC Arcobello, (2) (Pinizzotto, Horak), 4:28
    1. OKC Fedun, (7) (Pinizzotto, Gernat), 9:20 (PP)

10. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Can’t read that…can you give us the standouts?

11. elgruntus says:

Forget the stats, the only thing we need to know is….”helped Team Canada win silver in 2011 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships” :)

12. Younger Oil says:

13. flyfish1168 says:

Younger Oil: Looking at his resume, I’d love to get Despres. Could be a great 3rd pairing Dman for years to come, and will allow us to take more time with our defensive prospects.Would love to get Despres and Sutter at the same time. If the rumors are correct that the Pens have some interest in Gagner, then there is definitely a deal to be had there. Not sure what we would have to add to Gagner though.

I say nothing else. Gagner actual NHL player Sutter Marginal and Despres higher level prospect.
    Penguin wins trade for now since they get the better player

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: https://twitter.com/joshweissbock/status/430877941346861056/photo/1

right click on the image and open in a new tab. should get a bigger version.

there’s not much there.

15. Younger Oil says:

flyfish1168: I say nothing else. Gagner actual NHL player Sutter Marginal and Despreshigher level prospect.
    Penguin wins trade for now since they get the better player

Younger Oil: Gagner only has 5 more points than Sutter this season, and Sutter has a much better two way game than Gagner. Gagner also gets paid more than twice as much. Gagner may be the best player in the deal, but not by much, and also has the worst contract. We’d definitely need to add something more, at least in my opinion.

Sutter’s not very good though.

17. flyfish1168 says:

I look at Sutter as fortunate to play with Cosby and Malkin , two of the best offensive centers in the league.

18. stevezie says:

It seems he used to be better: http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/4/14/2948313/nhl-tough-minutes-forwards

Maybe this is an example of the limitations of statistics more than anything else, but Sutter looked pretty decent in Carolina. I don’t see any injury history, I wonder what the story is here?

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

More and more it makes sense that if Gagner gets traded it won’t be until the end of the season.

That’s when the cap goes up and teams shed contracts and take on new personnel. Now is the time to take on expiring rental contracts.

At any rate, if/when he goes I really hope it is for something better than Sutter. To get that you probably need someone younger who hasn’t yet shown all his cards.

20. Younger Oil says:

I suppose he’s not great, but for that hypothetical trade, all things considered I don’t think we could get Sutter and Despres for Gagner alone.

I don’t use fancy stats all that often, but besides the Corsi Rel they seem fairly similar.

Sutter gets lousy zone starts, and is also on the PK, and PIT has the best PK in the league.

At this point though, anything for Gagner could turn out to be addition by subtraction. He’s been brutal this year.

21. 8p0intgame says:

If roster players cost draft picks and prospects at the trade deadline, what if the Oilers made the following moves?

Sam Gagner to LA for the 22nd overall pick and Nick Shore.

Nick Shore:
    DOB: 26-September-1992, Age: 22, H: 6.00, W: 195 lb., Position: C, Shoots: R

2013-14 Manchester Monarchs (to date): 42 7-17-24
    On pace for: 64 11-26-37
    NHLe: 69 5-11-16

Ales Hemsky to Pittsburgh for the 29th overall pick and Simon Despres.

And then making the following moves at the draft?

2nd overall pick to Phoenix for 16th overall pick and Henrik Samuelsson.

Henrik Samuelsson:
    DOB: 7-February-1994, Age: 19, H: 6.03, W: 208 lb., Position: C, Shoots: R

2013-14 Edmonton Oil Kings (to date): 45 23-44-67
    On pace for: 64 33-63-96
    NHLe: 73 10-19-29

16th overall pick to Ottawa for Curtis Lazar and 40th overall pick.

Curtis Lazar:
    DOB: 2-February-1995, Age: 19, H: 6.00, W: 190 lb., Position: C, Shoots: R

2013-14 Edmonton Oil Kings (to date): 38 29-25-54
    On pace for: 54 41-36-77
    NHLe: 62 12-11-33

22nd, 29th, and 40th overall picks to Winnipeg for Dustin Byfuglien.

Park Despres, Samuelsson and Shore in the AHL and and leave Lazar in the WHL for 2014-15.

Resign D Jeff Petry (14 million over 4 years), D Justin Schultz (14 million over 4 years), G Ben Scrivens (8 million over 4 years) and LW Ryan Smyth (1 million for 1 year). Sign C Marcel Goc (8 million over 4 years), G Anton Khudobin (2 million over 2 years), RW Nikolai Kulemin (20 million over 5 years), D Andrew MacDonald (12 million over 3 years), C Paul Stastny (30 million over 5 years), and LW Daniel Winnik (15 million over 5 years).

Nugent-Hopkins (6) – Hall (6) – Eberle (6) (25.3% cap)
    Stastny (6) – Perron (3.8125) – Yakupov (3.775) (19.1% cap)
    Goc (2) – Winnik (3) – Kulemin (4) (12.7% cap)
    Gordon (3) – Smyth (1) – Hendricks (1.85) (8.2% cap)

MacDonald (4) – Byfuglien (5.2) (12.9% cap)
    Ference (3.25) – Petry (3.5) (9.5% cap)
    Marincin (0.73) – Schultz (3.5) (5.9% cap)

Scrivens (2) (2.8% cap)
    Khudobin (1) (1.4% cap)

Would these moves bring the Oilers to the next level?

22. auzy11 says:

wow if you think all that can happen we need you as GM

23. auzy11 says:

The oilers just have to trade this years pick with player to get anything at all,,,there will be some callers….but we need some size and grit and by the way a new coach

24. teddyturnbuckle says:

I’d take Sutter for Gagner in a second.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

8p0intgame: 16th overall pick to Ottawa for Curtis Lazar and 40th overall pick.

Just to pick one part of that NHL ’14 stream of consciousness, why on Earth would Ottawa trade a guy that virtually everybody agrees was a great pick at #17 a year ago PLUS a #40 for a #16? Not bloody likely.

26. Oilanderp says:

8p0intgame,

Props for putting type to screen and hashing your plan out, but I don’t think PIT will spend a first rounder AND Despres for a couple months of Hemsky. Will the rental of Hemmer even cost a first?

27. Kitchener says:

Simon says there’s good news: The Canucks are now entering contention as Western Canada’s worst team. The descent will be slow and gradual, I’d guess climaxing in 2018. The Oil may suck, but soon both Calgary and Vancouver will suck worse.

A big D with draft pedigree was Despres-singly enticing to the Bambellini group, but I doubt MacT will be so easily swayed. Despres might be a solid addition and I’d be fine with the pickup, but Gagner for Despres alone does not seem like fair value.

28. auzy11 says:

Do you really tink Pitt will part with Sutter for Gagner? wow thats asking alot from a very good GM in Shero,,,,,cant see it at all…

29. auzy11 says:

Yikes i find myself in a pissing match with Dobber on twitter,,,,dont think he likes me,,,i dont care ,,shitty site

30. LP says:

“One such name is Simon Despres (pronounced Simone Duh-pray based on audio evidence).”

I highly doubt that. Unless he is a she, it’s Simon, not Simone. Actually pronounced “SI – MON” DEH-PRÉ”. (N isn’t fully said, more like nasal. S is silent. )

I would prefer Gagner ends up in Pittsburgh rather than say LA. Would be great to get Voynov though….!

31. LP says:

And here his Wikipedia page, desktop style.

32. PhrankLee says:

Yeah Sam has value because we are so disappointed in his play. Some folks seem to think we can get a “better” player by trading him. With his contract and performance we need a favour from another GM. Not sure what kind of goodwill there is out there for the Oilers. I cannot imagine there is much. Mishandling 3 and perhaps 4 1st overall picks seems like a crime to me.

33. DealmanAekin says:

Fun, but not a keeper.

34. Deal Manna Eking says:

Dr Jekyll.

35. Deal Manna Eeking says:

Mr Hyde.

36. DeadmanWaking says:

Never had multiple post post countdowns before. Seems very unmasculine. How does Hunter do it?

37. Manna Banana says:

I should stop now.

38. gcw_rocks says:

I would be okay with Hemsky and a later pick for Despres and the Pens first. If we ate talking Gagner, then no way.

39. St Eddy L'Eke says:

Damn, it’s addictive.

40. Dahl House Igloo Multipass says:

Perhaps if we were instead the sucky south pole of the Northern hemisphere.

41. Dolour Starr says:

’cause he wasn’t getting what Bill got.

I suppose grammatically it would be something closer to Dolour R’us Stare as suits an alternate universe where little Texas trades away Datsyuk at the peak of his career for dollars and peonies to pennies and ponies.

Omark: You called?

No Linus, sorry, this was before your time.

42. Big Dan says:

Brandon Sutter is better than Sam Gagner straight up. Gagner scores more, Sutter does everything else much better.

If Pittsburgh adds Simon Depres (which would be great because that’ll likely leave Darnell Nurse in junior for one more year)… we’d have to throw in somebody like David Musil or a pick. No problem.

As for Dillon Simpson, sign him and KEEP HIM. He’ll be better than Marincin in a few years; probably our next Jeff Petry. Trade somebody like Gernat instead – he may have a brief run in the NHL but he’ll flame out.

… I’d take the Sutter/Depres deal but I think the Couturier/Meszaros rumor is better. I’d rather have an established defenseman than all these rookies and Couturier is bigger. He reminds me of Chris Gratton – but has more upside than Sutter.

43. Pouzar says:

LT or anyone else,

How often do these Volmann Sledgehammer charts come out? Can you get them for every player on every team at any time? What’s the deal? I am addicted! Although I admit the bubbles confuse me. Blue means yer rocking the Corgi. But what about the size of the bubble?

Pouzar:
    LT or anyone else,

How often do these Volmann Sledgehammer charts come out?Can you get them for every player on every team at any time? What’s the deal? I am addicted! Although I admit the bubbles confuse me. Blue means yer rocking the Corgi. But what about the size of the bubble?

Available any time at somekindofninja.com

Blue=good
    Red=bad

big= more
    small=less

BigRed=MoreGood
    SmallREd=LessGood
    BigBlue=MoreBad
    SmallBlue=LessBad

45. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Available any time at somekindofninja.com

Blue=good
    Red=bad

big= more
    small=less

BigRed=MoreGood
    SmallREd=LessGood
    BigBlue=MoreBad
    SmallBlue=LessBad

Fantastic!

Thx a million WG

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar,

Woodguy,

The Vollman charts are a little different… both in terms of look and how they are structured.

For example, you can make the size of the bubble correlate with TOI. You also have more control over them. You can play along with them here

47. russ99 says:

Despres is an AHL player until proven otherwise, and obviously even the Penguins think so.

Again, guys like this are available in FA every summer.

If we’re going to move quality assets we better get more than replacement level in return, regardless how big and truculent they are. We don’t need a return to the Pat Quinn era.

Would Despres be a defensive version of Joensuu? That’s not really worked out well, and he’s “Eakins kind of player”.

48. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thx RA

When I go to the hockey abstract link, it defaults to Corsi On for Bubble color…wouldn’t Corsi Rel be the more meaningful stat?

thx again everyone. These things are da bomb!

49. hags9k says:

I’d rather sign Brandon’s dad.

50. raventalon40 says:

Can’t decide if Auzy is trolling 8P0INTGAME or not

51. prairieschooner says:

The radio guy for Pittsburgh said that Despres was definitely talented with good skills
    The Penguins are ticked with him because he does not bring it too many nights
    The guy was interviewed on Gregors show within the last 7 days

52. www.findervenue.co.uk says:

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems?
    A couple of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

<a href="http://www.findervenue.co.uk" rel="nofollow">http://www.findervenue.co.uk</a>:
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

Haha. Oh God. If you only knew how little I know about all of this. I have been blessed with wonderful helpers, who keep this corner of the world chugging. Danny is my guy, if you send me a message via contact I’ll pass along your info.