RUMBLE

The Olympics roll toward their final 7 days and the NHL rumblings are beginning to reach the masses today. It’s always hard to know what is truth and what is a lie, but we can read and have the brains God gave us so let’s see if we can figure these out.

1. The Preds are interested in Sam Gagner. There’s no surprise there, Nashville has a terrible time scoring goals and Gagner could help them. Apparently names that are available include Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis. Both are interesting names, is one of those two part of the Oilers future? We have to remember it’s extremely unlikely Edmonton will get 100 cents on the dollar on this deal if they make it at the deadline.
  2. Jonathan Willis has an article up at the Cult of Hockey discussing Oiler trade options. He quotes Bob discussing Hemsky and Nick Schultz, and the fact the deal could be sweeter if Edmonton is willing to hold back some of the money. I think that’s more likely on a rental than on the Gagner contract. There have been rumblings for some time that MacT has a deal for Nick Schultz in his back pocket, it might be Boston. San Jose makes a lot of sense for Hemmer.
  3. MacT was in Oklahoma City last night, watching the action. Lander had a good game, scoring late and running his point streak to seven games (3-8-11 in that time). He’s 33, 14-21-35 on the season and has earned the look he was given as a 20-year old.
  4. We’ve heard rumblings before, but Frans Tuohimaa is coming over to North America next season. Edmonton’s goaltending situation is as cloudy as it was in 1979-80. Scrivens represents a clear solution, MacT needs to get him signed to a contract.
  5. I don’t think Bryzgalov returns. Laurent Brossoit was part of a feature deal by the General Manager so he’s part of the future. Tuohimaa is coming over. I think they’ll sign a Euro goalie (FINN!!!!!) or a college man or both. Ty Rimmer has played well in a cup of coffee in the AHL and may hang around next season. I’m not sure why the Oilers grabbed him (they had enough minor league goalies) but suspect this might have been a good decision. Tyler Bunz looks like the tortoise in the race currently, although you never know with goalies and his numbers are better year over year. Chet Pickard is also in the conversation.
  6. Anton Belov played well for the Russians today in their game against the USA. I don’t think they keep him. Mobility is a  big issue in the Eakins game.

125 Responses to "RUMBLE"

1. PunjabiOil says:

I’d do that deal for Colin Wilson. Legitimate 2nd/3rd liner with some room for upside (playing with Nashville doesn’t help). Sign a guy like Jokinen in the summer to play 2nd line C, and your team is better off.

What do you think?

2. Benhur says:

I’d even be willing to trade Yak straight up for Jones.

PunjabiOil:
    I’d do that deal for Colin Wilson.Legitimate 2nd/3rd liner with some room for upside (playing with Nashville doesn’t help).Sign a guy like Jokinen in the summer to play 2nd line C, and your team is better off.

What do you think?

LW, right? LW would be Hall, Perron, Wilson, Hendricks, Gazdic? I do like him there, he’s certainly got more offense than the guys running there now. Smyth would be gone or C next season.

4. Benhur says:

Yes I would not resign Belov. He has not played the N.A. game well and foot speed is an issue. He is more suited to the big Euro ice as he has more time and room to maneuver. He’s too old to have much upside and pick up his game here.

5. verdad says:

Today’s game between the US and Russia is another piece of evidence why Eakins should be fired asap.
    Belov was a rock for the Russians in today’s game.
    If Eakins could set aside is fundamental contempt for Russian players and embrace them the Oilers would much further ahead.
    No excuse for Belov not being thought of as one of the cornerstones of the Oilers defense going foward.
    Criminal to see an ineptitude like Frasor on the ice while Belov sits
    SImply compounds his abject failure with Yakupov.
    If MacTavish wanted to really be bold, he simply re-hire Kruger and the team would flourish for the last twenty games of this wasted year.

As for Gagner as I have consistently said, addition by subtration. Just flushing him improves the team Getting an actual player like Nashville’s Wilson is a bonus.

Benhur:
    I still like Nashville for a trade and my target is Seth Jones! Trade Gagner for him and keep some of his contract to match Seth’s. If that’s not enough throw in Hemsky.I’d even be willing to trade Yak straight up for Jones.

Add a 2nd rounder and they’ll throw in Weber!

verdad:
    Belov was a rock for the Russians in today’s game.

I’m not sure benching = contempt.

Belov was good this morning, but he seems to have better gaps control and positioning on the big ice. Doesn’t need to think, its 2nd nature to him.

In the NHL he’s out of position often, chases the puck and doesn’t have the foot speed to recover.

Things happen much faster in the NHL and on smaller ice.

Except that he hasn’t been very good. Not terrible, but from from the play needed to be a cornerstone.

Criminal to see an ineptitude like Frasor on the ice while Belov sits

Can’t argue that one. Will be interesting to see if Fraser plays after the trade deadline.

SImply compounds his abject failure with Yakupov.

I think he’s succeeded with Yak.

Its not easy to teach basic hockey fundamentals while coaching a NHL team.

Yak was a raw rookie with no clue where to go without the puck.

He is a totally different player lately and he will just continue to rise.

He’s skating harder now without the puck, he’s physical, he’s back checking and he’s scoring.

6pts in his last 7 games and +3.

Eakins has succeeded with Yak

Why does the myth persist that the Oilers were good last year?

They were not.

They were awful.

Not sure about Wilson, will do some research.

Colin Wilson has not been playing center for NAS.

Would they turn him into a LW?

Trade Gagner for WIlson and then Yak or Perron for a C?

I like Wilson more than the other wingers that have been mentioned coming back for Gagner like Clifford or Stafford.

I’d still prefer Toffoli.

9. verdad says:

Two other points – how any coach of the OIlers would not have made Yakupov the cornerstone of the powerplay is hard to fathom. That should been a given on day one of this season. Again, Eakins failed to do that. More interested in asserting his will instead of taking advantage of the assets he had

Also, today’s game illustrates another horrible error made by MacTavish ( in addition to hiring Eakins and keeping Gagner on the team), namely, the drafting of Nurse instead of Nickushkin.
    One is probably a never will be or so discounted into the future as to be meaningless in terms of winning while Hall is still part of the Oilers. Whereas the Russian could have been part of the core now or allowed more flushing of flawed Oilers like Eberle more easily. Again, a general manager who never gets what “boldness” would have been last summer.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

” Ty Rimmer has played well in a cup of coffee in the NHL and may hang around next season.”

I’m pretty sure Rimmer has never played in the NHL. Though hearing Mark Lee call: “And Rimmer rims it around the boards” would be it’s own reward… wait, not reward, punishment.

verdad:

Also, today’s gameillustrates another horrible error made by MacTavish ( in addition to hiring Eakins and keeping Gagner on the team), namely, the drafting of Nurse instead of Nickushkin.

Second, there’s no doubt Nichushkin is a wonderful pick and the Oilers would have been well advised to choose him. However, I’m seeing more and more discounting of Nurse by comments on this blog and it’s ridiculous. Darnell Nurse is a teenager developing on a timeline that works for him, and to suggest he will be “discounted” in the future is wildly unfair and completely noxious.

For fuck sakes people, he’s a really good prospect. If you can’t see that, if all you can see is Nichushkin, that’s fine. Don’t expect me to buy in or agree or even tolerate ripping of Nurse, as has been done on other blogs with people like Mitchell Moroz.

Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

verdad,

Ripping on a player who hasn’t played a game outside junior just highlights why no one should read anything you write.

13. Manitoba Oilers says:

Belov>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ference>Fraser

Russian coach says he might scratch Radulov next game.

Apparently he’s too enigmatic even for the Russians.

He and Brown both played really selfish games today.

15. verdad says:

Like everything is life , everything is relative.
    And everyting is about NPV , ie winning “now.”
    Nichushkin would have served the Oilers better “now”.
    At some point this eternal re-build mentality must end .

16. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Colin Wilson has not been playing center for NAS.

Would they turn him into a LW?

Trade Gagner for WIlson and then Yak or Perron for a C?

I’d still prefer Toffoli.

Good Gord.

Sam Gagner for Wilson and Ellis without holding salary?

That’s a trade I make every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

17. book¡je says:

Woodguy: Add a 2nd rounder and they’ll throw in Weber!

Be realistic, this wouldn’t take more than a. 4th round pick.

18. hunter1909 says:

1 – That’s easy. You tell Nashville shit like ” Wtf do the Oilers care about this season…if you guys want to make the playoffs, you had better come up with a fucking better package than this” – then sit tight until they cave in. of course MacT has “impatient” as his MO, ffs.

2 – Jonathan Willis has got to be in my all time top 10 of totally boring writers. It might have something to do with him once upon a time having a terrific go at me, I don’t know and I don’t care, other than to restate, he’s a terrible writer. Best left totally ignored, imo.

3 – Lander…wtf when was the last time I read “future captain of the Oilers??? Bustville awaits this plug. Hope am wrong, this time.

4 – Scrivens is everything Cam Ward once offered to the Carolina Whalers, before that fateful game 7 when MacT met his own personal Little Big Horn. If MacT was as smart as me, he’d have hired Peter Laviolette last summer.

PS: Valentines Day and I get an Apple Mac computer monitor screen cleaning “kit”. Finally tried using the thing, it made a total mess of my hands but the screen is clear. Why is Apple the biggest douche franchise this side of Hell?

19. Ryan says:

verdad:
    Like everything is life , everything is relative.
    And everyting is about NPV , ie winning “now.”
    Nichushkin would have served the Oilers better “now”.
    At some point this eternal re-build mentality must end .

Nichushkin is a stud for sure, but he still doesn’t help you win “now.”

Those who watch him regularly note that like most rookies he holds onto the puck too long and frequently turns it over.

He’ll be a force of nature in a few years though.

20. hunter1909 says:

Ryan: Nichushkin is a stud for sure, but he still doesn’t help you win “now.”

He’ll be a force of nature in a few years though.

Eventually the team learns to use what it possesses, instead of perpetually seeking the furthest possible solutions.

PS: This computer screen is so ridiculously clear i must be the John Wayne Gacy of Apple maintenance customers.

hunter1909:

22. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy You are the wise old head around here.

How’s about, they offer to swap Eberle, straight up for Seth Jones?

Ryan: Good Gord.

Sam Gagner for Wilson and Ellis without holding salary?

That’s a trade I make every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Its Wilson OR Ellis.

Not both

24. WeirsBeard says:

Lowetide: A couple of things. First, I love Nail but he’s got some miles to go before he’s pushing the river, and that’s fine but this season was inevitable. Do you remember Ralph saying “we’re just going to let him go this season” when he was a rookie? THIS would have happened because you want Yakupov to be a better player than just a one-trick pony.

Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

hunter1909:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy You are the wise old head around here.

How’s about, they offer to swap Eberle, straight up for Seth Jones?

Asking NAS to trade Jones is like asking the Oilers to trade Hall.

26. hunter1909 says:

WeirsBeard: Last Oiler game I attended was against the Blues, who still had Pronger. The Blues won, and Pronger was named first star. I don’t recall him having a point, or making a body check. The idiots in front of me were irate. “Pronger, what did he do?” he played 30+ minutes and totally controlled the game. Dictated play and diffused danger. People forget the value of a defender that doesn’t “do anything”.

I must confess, I never was able to see the Oilers until 1983-84, the year they won their first ever cup. Pronger for what it’s worth and for a single season only, totally equalled Messier.

27. WeirsBeard says:

Eakins getting Yak to move his feet constantly, even when he doesn’t have the puck is wonderful.

Watch shifts when he is moving. It turns him into a player always in kill mode, in any part of the rink. He also has enough of an edge(likes to stick guys after the whistle), that he might become the best of the bunch.

As for the Gagner return. Is a third line checker what we are shooting for now? Seems a shame.

28. hunter1909 says:

WeirsBeard:

Like Gregory Peck’s Captain Ahab, I’ve nailed my coin to the mast with Yakupov’s development/career.

Yak’s starting to play the way we’ve always wanted. He’s already supplanted Eberle as the 1st line winger, and Taylor Hall had best keep his skates sharp, because he’s next, ha ha.

29. admiralmark says:

Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

Hopefully MacT can make a move to get a D man to add to the 1st pairing unit on this team? So we can stop this debacle of a method of developing their D men. Nurse to me looks like he has all the tools physically needed to play on a 1st pair D. But he likely needs 1 more year in Junior and then 1 year of ahl/3rd pair NHL D time to work out the kinks. This trial by fire approach they are taking with their D men needs to change. Marincin is an anomaly not a by product of wise decisions.

30. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Colin Wilson has not been playing center for NAS.

Would they turn him into a LW?

Trade Gagner for WIlson and then Yak or Perron for a C?

I’d still prefer Toffoli.

I liked Toffoli in his draft year and was surprised he fell to 47.

That being said, Sutter’s giving him the soft comp / zone starts and he’s not killing it.

He also has known skating issues.

I’m not sure an offensive tweener with skating issues is what the Oilers need.

Toffoli’s the kind of player that a smart GM showcases and turns into trade bait for a better asset.

31. hunter1909 says:

admiralmark: Marincin is an anomaly not a by product of wise decisions.

C’mon. Marincin’s simply the first in what appears to be a fairly long list of blue chip defense prospects.

You’re probably right, of course. As in 100%.

32. Logan91 says:

Glen Healy ripping Hemsky for Krejci not playing well in the Olympics.

Said Hemsky has been a no show all season, and in the Olympics. Anytime I hear anything come out of Healy’ mouth it makes me hate him even more.

33. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Asking NAS to trade Jones is like asking the Oilers to trade Hall.

Sure it is. It’s also offering a potential Team Canada stalwart(Eberle) for their number 1 top defense player/prospect. Shame you don’t get it.

On the other hand, they might offer Eberle for Weber. Same diff, imo.

Eberle happens to be a brilliant hockey player of the first order. Just wait until these goons lose him for the next Bernie Nicholls.

34. The Great One says:

Ryan: I liked Toffoli in his draft year and was surprised he fell to 47.

He also has known skating issues.

I’m not sure an offensive tweener with skating issues is what the Oilers need.

I’m not sure you’re giving Toffoli his due.

While he’s getting a zone start push, he’s doing very, very well for a 21 year old.

CF% – 59.1

CF Rel – +3.1

And those numbers are on the best possession team in the league.

35. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Its Wilson OR Ellis.

Not both

Fair enough, but which Wilson? Owen or Luke? Seems like slim pickings either way.

36. hags9k says:

I’m thinking Nurse is going to have a huge impact on this team! I have a theory that the young cluster was so enamoured with him during the preseason that when he got sent down they may have felt like, well fuck, this thing doesn’t get started until THAT is here…and the season was toast before it started.

Nurse for Nichuskin? No way I make that trade.

37. sliderule says:

Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

I have been trying to keep up to Nurse by watching high lites on Soo site.

The first thing you notice is he doesn’t look like he has thickened up .His neck looks as thick as my arm..This probably won’t be a problem but will surely extend his time of arrival.

The other thing you notice is for a top prospect his pinches seem to end up in the back of his own net at a rather alarming rate.

He doesn’t seem to be cheating as much for offence as you could see in early season high lites.

I am really confused by this prospect as he seems to have the tools but so far the hockey sense is not there.

sliderule: I have been trying to keep up to Nurse by watching high lites on Soo site.

The other thing you notice isfor a top prospect his pinches seem to end up in the back of his own net at a rather alarming rate.In his own end he has been exposed as he has been caught puck watching rather than picking up the man like Marincin has learned.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 17h

Great first period from D Nurse. Probably has the best size:skating ratio among CHL D.

Nurse has some developing to do, no doubt. His toolkit is very good, but there are issues as you say. I think that’s why (if you watched the Philly video) there was less consensus on Nurse being the next up among defensemen taken.

Ryan: I liked Toffoli in his draft year and was surprised he fell to 47.

He also has known skating issues.

I’m not sure an offensive tweener with skating issues is what the Oilers need.

His CF% is 59.3%

His Goals For% is 75%

That’s pretty much the definition of killing it.

His 5v5 pts/60 is 2.29 best on the Kings

He’s killing it.

Sutter is killing the LAK blogger I follow by not playing him.

And I see DeeEssEff already went there.

hunter1909,

I’m not sure an undersized 65pt winger who doesn’t win many puck battles gets you Jones.

hunter1909,

On the other hand, they might offer Eberle for Weber. Same diff, imo.

No chance in hell.

None.

You are adding in J.Shultz and the 1st to get even close.

Was listening to The Pipeline Show while I ran a few errands.

They mentioned that Northeastern Goalie Clay Witt is up for the Hobey Baker.

Might be the first goalie to win it since Miller.

In his 4th year, first year he’s been the starter and he’s put up a .945 in 24 games.

His team isn’t very good either and allow a ton of shots.

Undrafted free agent this summer.

I’d guess that MacT will make a play for him given the lack of goalie depth in the org.

44. magisterrex says:

Taking into account some of the anti-MacT and anti-Eakins diatribes, it is clear that the ratio of sober versus Oilersnation responses on this site is dangerously closing in on 1:1. Thank the Gords for mostly sober commentators like Woodguy.

45. Pouzar says:

Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

+1. WTF has changed in the last 2 months? This place loved Nurse then the HF yahoos have come out of the woodwork and started trashing the guy. Go talk to Pronman about Nurse you guys.

46. gogliano says:

If Belov keeps up his play at the Olympics it’s conceivable that it will help bring back a return if the Oilers try to deal him at the deadline.

Big ice is a difference, yes, but D-men on expiring deals are at a premium at the deadline and a GM might write off his less than stellar NHL performance thus far as because Oilers.

47. The Great One says:

Woodguy,

Yeah, with LA starved for goals you would think Sutter would give Toffoli a more prominent role.

That’s why I don’t give much credence to the Gagner to LA rumours.

I doubt Sutter would like his game much.

But you never know.

48. eidy says:

Woodguy,

What do you think of linden vey. He is putting up pretty good numbers in the AHL.

I wonder if he sky to LA is a possibility. They need scoring and we need size. I would prefer to get king, but vey seems like a decent prospect that is knocking on the door of the NHL.

magisterrex:

Signal to noise some days makes me weep.

eidy:
    Woodguy,

Haven’t seen enough of him to have an opinion.

51. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy:
    hunter1909,

On the other hand, they might offer Eberle for Weber. Same diff, imo.

No chance in hell.

None.

You are adding in J.Shultz and the 1st to get even close.

Steve Tambellini, come on down.

Sorry m8, I’m afraid I come from the Sam Pollock school of GMing, not the MacT “tell the world your intentions” club.

You may be correct in your erroneous reasoning here, but since C.P. effing PRONGER only cost Lowe a pair of dud prospects and something else…

In the end, it’s Deadwood out there.

The Great One:
    Woodguy,

That’s why I don’t give much credence to the Gagner to LA rumours.

I doubt Sutter would like his game much.

But you never know.

Sutter is the ultimate “Play not to lose” coach.

Toffoli probably turned over the puck once so down he goes.

Sutter type coaching is the anathema of good entertaining hockey.

53. hunter1909 says:

Nice try.

However, fuck anyone from the Oilers barrel of prospects showing off madskillz when it hardly even matters.

hunter1909: Steve Tambellini, come on down.

In the end, it’s Deadwood out there.

You are not sane.

55. Pouzar says:

Who gets the call from OKC?

Arco, Lander, Klef

56. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Sutter type coaching is the anathema of good entertaining hockey.

Yet for some wack reason I’m dying for that Red Deer dude to step up.

57. Thiru says:

Woodguy: Sutter is the ultimate “Play not to lose” coach.

Toffoli probably turned over the puck once so down he goes.

Sutter type coaching is the anathema of good entertaining hockey.

Toffoli would be a great return for Gagner. I would be over the moon with that. Give Lander/Arco a shot at 2C, and start putting real hockey players on the 4th line.

That would make me smile.

58. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: You are not sane.

I’m an Oilers fan, which basically precludes that entire remark.

ps: I’m also sick, which guarantees my hunter1909 cure of mega amounts of alcohol.

59. Hammers says:

Lowetide: WHY do bad things happen to good people? Willis is an excellent writer with terrific content. Shame you can’t see it.

Totally agree .

60. hunter1909 says:

Hammers: Totally agree .

I just can’t stand reading Willis.

I’m not certain what exactly it is, because I’m sure he’s a righteous dude, but nevertheless I just always start falling asleep whenever I read anything he writes.

hunter1909:

Nice try.

62. hunter1909 says:

Now that I think about it, these dog days of no-Oilers hockey appear to be the time to really start analyzing the reality in which we all cling to, lol.

63. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: I’m very much looking forward to how they handle these prospects. HUGE indicator about the future. These are the September at-bats straight ahead.

I swear this post makes me feel as if I’m graduating from some form of Oilers fandom-something…but the reality remains, this is a tough old game.

64. hunter1909 says:

I’m prepared to bet hard currency that Darnell Nurse gets 200 games at NHL level.

Posted this in the thread at ON too:

If MacT trades Gagner I’d like to see Lander get a shot at 2C.

Given the offence he’s put up in OKC this year, its not a stretch to think it could continue with quality line mates in a slightly sheltered situation.

66. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: If MacT trades Gagner I’d like to see Lander get a shot at 2C.

Lander, Arcobello… neither inspires confidence.

67. hunter1909 says:

FFS now we wait until MacT turns Gagner into the 2014 equivalent of the MPS for Perron trade, in reverse.

hunter1909: Just for shits and giggles, exactly who do you foresee fulfilling the NHL 2nd line role, once Gagner’s sacrificed, Cleary style, to the hockey universal ID?

Lander, Arcobello… neither inspires confidence.

They will trade a winger for a Real NHL C, who is 26-29 years old.

Book it.

69. RT26 says:

I am likely crazy, but could we offer Nashville Eberle, J Schultz and our first for Shea Weber? Add Gagner if we must.

If you could make that happen, move Yak to 1RW and re-sign Hemsky for 2RW with Perron and Arcobello. If Gagner is not in first deal, move him for depth D and wingers.

Lambaste away…..

RT26:
    I am likely crazy, but could we offer Nashville Eberle, J Schultz and our first for Shea Weber?Add Gagner if we must.

If you could make that happen, move Yak to 1RW and re-sign Hemsky for 2RW with Perron and Arcobello.If Gagner is not in first deal, move him for depth D and wingers.

Lambaste away…..

I do that trade.

71. anonymous says:

Picking Nikushkin would have been nice to allow you to trade the Pajaarvi package for an upgrade on defense. If that was available.

72. Ryan says:

Woodguy: His CF% is 59.3%

His Goals For% is 75%

That’s pretty much the definition of killing it.

His 5v5 pts/60 is 2.29 best on the Kings

He’s killing it.

Sutter is killing the LAK blogger I follow by not playing him.

There’s such a strong team effect when it comes to Corsi. If you don’t believe me, dial up Perron at extra skater.

Put Toffoli on the Oilers second line this year and his soul + his Corsi will get crushed.

Anyway, where would you play him on the Oilers lineup? A top six RW tweener is not a high demand for the Oilers.

73. Pouzar says:

RT26:

Lambaste away…..

I wouldn’t do it. But most in Oilerland would imo.

74. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Sutter is the ultimate “Play not to lose” coach.

Toffoli probably turned over the puck once so down he goes.

Sutter type coaching is the anathema of good entertaining hockey.

And how would you contrast that with Eakins type coaching?

75. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Posted this in the thread at ON too:

If MacT trades Gagner I’d like to see Lander get a shot at 2C.

Why do you hate arcobello? :)

76. FastOil says:

I am a fan of Lander but it seems to me to be in the running you need two competent offensive centres.

It is possible he could drive some offense but I think it is unlikely. He could be a 2C that caretakes two high offense wingers. Ideally he is a really good 3C that remains affordable because he doesn’t score too much.

.5 PPG would be low for what I hope for in a 2C, that might be high for Lander.

77. FastOil says:

RT26:

Lambaste away…..

4 years ago yes. He is awesome but he will be 29 next season, that is a lot of value for 5 or so years of a player for a team not even close.

Ryan: There’s such a strong team effect when it comes to Corsi.If you don’t believe me, dial up Perron at extra skater.

Anyway, where would you play him on the Oilers lineup?A top six RW tweener is not a high demand for the Oilers.

I know team effects.

He’s also 3rd on his team in Relative Corsi and most are better with him than without in terms of WOWY.

His number are large because its LAK, but even in that context they are excellent.

He also leads the team in 5v5 PTS/60.

There’s no qualifying that stat.

I think the Oilers may clean house on the right side.

Hemsky at the deadline and one of Yak/Perron/Eberle in the summer for C.

Ryan: Why do you hate arcobello?

Ha!

Seen him there.

Would like to see what Lander actually brings with real line mates and not Gazdic.

Ryan: And how would you contrast that with Eakins type coaching?

I think Eakins is trying to get his team to a decent set of fundamentals that they can rely on in terms of system play.

He’s then going to use the Oilers speed to attack with and without the puck.

That being said, there’s too much MacT and Sutter type over emphasis on turn overs for my liking.

Turn overs happen.

Its about creating more than you give up, and in trying to eliminate the mistakes, they are eliminating too much of what they create.

81. Ryan says:

Woodguy: I know team effects.

He also leads the team in 5v5 PTS/60.

There’s no qualifying that stat.

I think the Oilers may clean house on the right side.

Hemsky at the deadline and one of Yak/Perron/Eberle in the summer for C.

82. FastOil says:

Ryan: Is it possible that his positive rel Corsi and 5v5/60 are driven by him getting the Gagner treatment by Sutter?

83. Ryan says:

FastOil: He is getting the opposite isn’t he? Gagner isn’t being sheltered and he’s getting pounded. I wish they would do something to polish Sam up.

I meant the traditional Gagner treatment…. The one that got him his current bloated contract.

84. sliderule says:

I don’t know whether they had Slovak-Slovenia game on in Canada but it was on in USA.

I thought Marincin played really well.

He moved the puck well and jumped into play way more than in Edmonton.

He was on for third goal against when the whole Slovak team got running around.

Near end of game he jumped into play and made a rush that resulted in a penalty and the Slovaks only goal.

85. FastOil says:

Ryan: I meant the traditional Gagner treatment….The one that got him his current bloated contract.

Right. The Oilers got that one backward.

86. Marc says:

The BBC’s commentary crew for the Czech-Swiss game, whom I would not describe as hugely knowledgeable about hockey, spent a good chunk of the game talking about the Czech coach’s many baffling decisions.

Did the guy win a contest to coach the team? Did they just pick a random name out of the phone book?

Inquiring minds want to know.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 17h

Interesting thing from Pronman last night:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 22h
    Have a few minutes. Feel free to send prospect questions.

CoverThePuck ‏@CoverThePuck 21h
    @coreypronman Since Sam Morin was mentioned, I’m a Flyers fan and wasn’t thrilled with pick. Thoughts on upside? Have seen various opinions

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 21h
    @CoverThePuck he’s good not great. Probably a low first type of prospect.

that’s an interesting assessment several months on.

88. Ryan says:

Woodguy: I know team effects.

He also leads the team in 5v5 PTS/60.

There’s no qualifying that stat.

I think the Oilers may clean house on the right side.

Hemsky at the deadline and one of Yak/Perron/Eberle in the summer for C.

Anyway, here’s my challenge for you Woodguy.

Toffoli has the highest ozone % of any forward on the Kings.

Find me a team that has a forward skater with the highest ozone start on the team who’s played more than 20 games who has a negative corsi rel.

You can skip the Oilers because that forward is Yakupov with a corsi rel of +1.8%

You can also skip the Penguins because, well, it’s Malkin.

Okay, there’s one team that rhymes with Florida Panthers.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On the Nichuskin vs. Nurse thing…

I think two things are happening:

1) Nich plays in Dallas and doesn’t get a lot of exposure. So, playing the Oly gives him a lot. People are either being reminded of how good he is or learning it for the first time.

2) some of those people in 1 are losing all hold on reality about the draft. Nurse wasn’t my pick. Wouldn’t be today in a do over. BUT… Nurse was not a walkabout or a reach or anything weird. Perfectly defensible pick.

AND, he’s completely outpacing his draft expectations. He is an extremely good prospect. The fact that other prospects exist is entirely inconsequential ever since draft day.

Daryl Sutter: “Plays not to lose”
    Dallas Eakins. “All my schemes work brilliantly inside my big head.”

We all know that as coach there was a good MacT and a bad MacT…Jekyll and Hyde. MacT the GM hired a bad MacT clone.

The bad MacT discarded Pitkanen and Hejda. The new bad MacT, Eakins, is in the process of discarding Belov.

Belov is clearly a defensemen. But Eakins won’t adjust his systems to take advantage of an actual defensemen. Hence Fraser.

Scotty Bowman play a big pylon Larry Murphy a ton on Stanley Cup winning teams. Serge Savard after two broken legs wasn’t exactly mobile either. Ditto Bill Nyrop. Fetisov, at the end on SC teams, was just a big slow passer.

Randy Gregg. Heck Ryan Whitney when he was healthy.

Adapt your system to what you have now. You can go to the preferred system over time when you get the players with the right skill sets.

Belov was out in overtime 4 on 4 against the speedy Americans in the Olympics.

Eakins is a moron.

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Sutter is the ultimate “Play not to lose” coach.

Toffoli probably turned over the puck once so down he goes.

Sutter type coaching is the anathema of good entertaining hockey.

This.

He should be banned from running an NHL club.

That Doughty lilts on the vine there is disgusting.

92. Ribs says:

Lowetide: Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

Ribs: The more I see of him the more I like. He looks so confident on the ice. Usually guys that play like that end up being good pros. The last Oiler with that kind of swagger in junior that I can recall (outside top picks) was Eberle.

Right. And the key here is the extra incubation IMPROVES his chances. Those who are upset he hasn’t made it to the NHL yet have it backwards. Nurse’s chances of being a quality player improve imo. If they keep him in the OHL another year this blog will have to ban Nurse chatter. :-)

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Right. And the key here is the extra incubation IMPROVES his chances. Those who are upset he hasn’t made it to the NHL yet have it backwards. Nurse’s chances of being a quality player improve imo. If they keep him in the OHL another year this blog will have to ban Nurse chatter.

I still think they should explore sending him to Sweden.

But… yea barring that, he has to stay in the OHL. has to. good test of MacT.

95. Ribs says:

I wonder if Marincin’s emergence helps keep Nurse in junior next year? The future of the Oilers defence is so cloudy right now. MacT really has his hands full this summer. Again.

96. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: Darnell Nurse is a terrific prospect. Full stop.

I totally agree. Its great we got him. With d-men none has been able to come into the best league in the world and make an impact at 18. At this point having the tools in the tool box is most important. Now come the time to learn how to use and understand them tools. It would be nice to have a good mentor . I’m not certain if Ference is that person. This is why Forida having Jovansoski, Campbell and even Gilbert is good for Gudbranson. Tallon is a smart hockey man.

The point I’m getting at, is the value of Horcoff can’t be measured. I would not doubt he plays a role in guiding Nichushkin. Its unfortunate we couldn’t find a way to keep Horcoff.

97. Caramel Obvious says:

verdad:
    Belov was a rock for the Russians in today’s game.
    Criminal to see an ineptitude like Frasor on the ice while Belov sits
    SImply compounds his abject failure with Yakupov.

People who are abjectly stupid should not speak. You need to conserve your brain for breathing.

98. VanOil says:

I still think the best player to target for Gagner is Brock Nelson. It is a soft landing for Gagner who earned a verbal no trade from MacT. NYI have all kinds of Center options and could afford to give up Nelson.

Nelson possession stats are very good on a weak team. He was a face off demon in the AHL and is strong at puck retrieval. When NYI get rid of Vanek they could take on Gagner salary.

My bid today for Kulikov is Fedun + 2015 1st round pick. I like Fedun and think he should be in the NHL today but am willing to give him up for Kulikov. The draft is in Florida in 2015 having 2 first round picks should appeal to them and Fedun should make there blue line next season.

Nelson as 2nd line Center, Kulikov as a top pairing D and the Oilers have added Skill, Size and Potential in the right age bracket. This buy’s Nurse more time to develop and for this years 1st rounder as well. I expect broken old pro’s ~ I hope for 22 year olds about to break out. Who do you think MacT is more likely to win a trade with Lombardi or Snow?

Could be.

He still achieved it.

Gagner gets the Gagner treatment and gets Gagner results.

Ryan: Anyway, here’s my challenge for you Woodguy.

Toffoli has the highest ozone % of any forward on the Kings.

You can also skip the Penguins because, well, it’s Malkin.

Okay, there’s one team that rhymes with Florida Panthers.

You’re ignoring that he also leads the team in 5v5 pts/60

101. FastOil says:

VanOil:

102. VanOil says:

FastOil: The McDavid draft Oiler first rounder is worth more than Kulikov to both teams. Sadly they might be in contention again if MacT whiffs this summer. I wouldn’t trade it lightly.

103. prairieschooner says:

I am pleased to see the comments of a few warts in Darnell nurse’s game.
    It should make it a little easier for the Oilers to leave him in Junior for a year and really polish up his game.
    Perhaps the Oil kings should draft him to allow him to develop as there may be a tendency for him to do too much on his current team
    I think what will happen is that the Oilers are going to have a really tough decision at camp next year.

104. prairieschooner says:

I meant trade for him

105. FastOil says:

VanOil: If the Oilers are in the running to pick McDavid, and past performance suggest you are right, there should be riots on the streets. I figure MacT and Eakins would be gone and Bucky and Smith would take over as coach and GM. So MacT may as well trade the pick because he would not be here to make it.

I’ve been investing in companies that produce tar and collect feathers.

106. flyfish1168 says:

VanOil:

VanOil:

ALL 2015 NON-PLAYOFF teams get a lottery ticket for Conor McDavid. It is absolutely nuts to trade it away. Kulikov is 2 years away from UFA status.

108. VanOil says:

godot10: ALL 2015 NON-PLAYOFF teams get a lottery ticket for Conor McDavid.It is absolutely nuts to trade it away.Kulikov is 2 years away from UFA status.

You are more likely to get killed going out to buy your lottery ticket than to win with it. Unless you are Steve Tambellini, in which case go shopping.

109. VanOil says:

FastOil: I’ve been investing in companies that produce tar and collect feathers.

If we can’t boil up some bitumen in Northern Alberta than no one can. Feathers I am willing to import.

110. VanOil says:

flyfish1168: Why ask for Nelson. I would ask for Ryan Strome 1st and work towards getting him. I believe he has more up side plus he will be bigger than Sam. Tavares and Sam are good friends this may help

Nelson’s Corsi #s and size are better but Strome will score more. Perron and Eberle should be able to carry the second line scoring needs if they have some one that can win the puck, win the draws and willing to be more than ‘also in picture’ in there own zone. Strome would be gravy. Nelson would be Grits.

111. flyfish1168 says:

VanOil: I agree Storme has a higher upside (possible first line Center) but that is why I don’t think he is available. But you are right aim for the Stars it would be a good start in point in negotiations. I fancy Strome or Nelson over any projected return from the Kings.

I’m willing to go Sam and 2nd round draft for 2015 for Strome or Garnet and Sam. Center position is so important. RNH is good but this would help take some of the pressure off him to produce if you have two. It would be like Crosby and Malkin or Gretz and Mess.

OKC Barons Gameday ‏@BaronsGameDay 1m
    Tonight’s #OKCBarons scratches—> Tyler Pitlick, Curtis Hamilton, Ryan Hamilton, Andrew Miller, Mark Arcobello, Steve MacIntyre

113. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy:

He also leads the team in 5v5 PTS/60.

There’s no qualifying that stat.

Perron is the guy this season leading the Oilers by a full percent. Oilers should trade him while his value is at its highest.

Woodguy:
    OKC Barons Gameday ‏@BaronsGameDay1m

More concisely:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 7m
    #OKCBarons scratches: Pitlick(knee), C.Hamilton(knee, R.Hamilton(ankle), Miller(hand), Arcobello(Oly. Break), MacIntyre(East Coast)

Mac is stuck on the East Coast due to weather

Woodguy: More concisely:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports7m

Mac is stuck on the East Coast due to weather

So is Pitlick, from what I’ve heard.

116. spoiler says:

Woodguy: More concisely:

Where is “Steve”, dammit…

Bank Shot: Well there is the fact that the team shooting percentage with Toffoli on the ice is at 9.05% which is a full 1.25% higher then the second highest on the team. Its differentials like that that got Eberle his $6 million dollars.

I see your point, but the totals are not unworldy.

Eberle shot something like 6% over his career average.

Toffoli is only shooting 10.5%, and 9% ONSH% is not screaming hell either, even if it is above the norm.

He’s also put up 13g 7a 20pts in 16 games in the AHL this year.

He can play.

I think Perron might be the one traded for a C.

spoiler: Where is “Steve”, dammit…

Guilty.

Should have more “specifically”

It was the opposite of more concisely.

119. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Guilty.Should have more “specifically”It was the opposite of more concisely.

WG

I’m a big fan of Toffoli. Took him over MacKinnon for rookie in one of my pools, so I’ve been yelling swears at Lombardi and Sutter all season long. However I can’t put a huge amount of weight on that p/60 number… there’s just not enough minutes in that number to qualify as a reasonable sample size. That said, he didn’t put those numbers up playing with Kopitar.

spoiler: WG

I’m a big fan of Toffoli. Took him over MacKinnon for rookie in one of my pools, so I’ve been yelling swears at Lombardi and Sutter all season long.However I can’t put a huge amount of weight on that p/60 number… there’s just not enough minutes in that number to qualify as a reasonable sample size.That said, he didn’t put those numbers up playing with Kopitar.

For me its a matter of getting value for Gagner and out of all the proposed trades I’ve read, I like this one the best.

I think Toffoli has all the makings of a reasonable NHLer and getting as close to getting 100 cents on the dollar as possible is the key to that trade.

121. DeadmanWaking says:

hunter1909:

Roy Peter Clark has the best short guide to writing I’ve yet to come across. Here’s a passage concerning tip #21 from Fifty Writing Tools: Quick List (shamefully, some .ru website is serving up a ripped copy of his entire book).

In “Why I Write,” George Orwell explains that “good prose is like a window pane.” The best work calls the reader’s attention to the world being described, not to the writer’s flourishes. When we peer out a window onto the horizon, we don’t notice the pane, yet the pane frames our vision just as the writer frames our view of the story.

Most writers have at least two modes. One says, “Pay no attention to the writer behind the curtain. Look only at the world.” The other says, without inhibition, “Watch me dance. Aren’t I a clever fellow?” In rhetoric, these two modes have names. The first is called understatement. The second is called overstatement or hyperbole.

Here’s a rule of thumb that works for me: The more serious or dramatic the subject, the more the writer backs off, creating the effect that the story tells itself. The more playful or inconsequential the topic, the more the writer can show off. Back off or show off.

My emphasis.

In other news today: Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

Obviously, I’m rather indulgent of the second mode in my contributions here at Lowetide. Yes, I have a more serious mode. It bores me. That’s what I’m running away from. For too long Jack was a dull boy.

On the Vollman chart, Willis is the guy make the safe play to clear the zone time and again. He’s the blue dot edging into the upper left corner of long and valued careers. There’s a bit of Anton Lander in how he’s nursing his career along. From time to time he manages to play the safe game while also asserting more of his own voice.

As for whether I am myself a self-avowed troll: only in part measure.

Narcissism: Summa.
    Sadism: Nada.

It is certainly possible to be too much the clown. I try to cross the line as often as I can: in both directions. Ideally, as I see it, my posts would alternate between being too much the clown and being almost–but not quite–too much the clown. For my present purposes the best prospecting occurs when I manage to keep one foot firmly planted on either side of the line, and I traverse the fault with alternate foot steps; not that I’m not making an implicit claim that I succeed at this, just that it’s aspirational however well or badly I manage to pull it off.

What I’ve noticed about you, Hunter, is that your palpitations increase during the game thread when the mixed nuts are causing collective anguish (I mean the ones out there on the ice). You’re not inherently sadistic, but you just can’t restrain yourself when the surf is up.

Maybe you should apply some of that magic monitor cleaning agent to a window pane near you and give it a go, sometime. The other mode of boredom is to be always the same, if that’s a viable way to describe a Dagwood sandwich consisting of ten slices of white bread interlaced with half a jar of wasabi.

122. PhrankLee says:

I think Pickard is a real ice sleeper pick.