The Olympics roll toward their final 7 days and the NHL rumblings are beginning to reach the masses today. It’s always hard to know what is truth and what is a lie, but we can read and have the brains God gave us so let’s see if we can figure these out.
- The Preds are interested in Sam Gagner. There’s no surprise there, Nashville has a terrible time scoring goals and Gagner could help them. Apparently names that are available include Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis. Both are interesting names, is one of those two part of the Oilers future? We have to remember it’s extremely unlikely Edmonton will get 100 cents on the dollar on this deal if they make it at the deadline.
- Jonathan Willis has an article up at the Cult of Hockey discussing Oiler trade options. He quotes Bob discussing Hemsky and Nick Schultz, and the fact the deal could be sweeter if Edmonton is willing to hold back some of the money. I think that’s more likely on a rental than on the Gagner contract. There have been rumblings for some time that MacT has a deal for Nick Schultz in his back pocket, it might be Boston. San Jose makes a lot of sense for Hemmer.
- MacT was in Oklahoma City last night, watching the action. Lander had a good game, scoring late and running his point streak to seven games (3-8-11 in that time). He’s 33, 14-21-35 on the season and has earned the look he was given as a 20-year old.
- We’ve heard rumblings before, but Frans Tuohimaa is coming over to North America next season. Edmonton’s goaltending situation is as cloudy as it was in 1979-80. Scrivens represents a clear solution, MacT needs to get him signed to a contract.
- I don’t think Bryzgalov returns. Laurent Brossoit was part of a feature deal by the General Manager so he’s part of the future. Tuohimaa is coming over. I think they’ll sign a Euro goalie (FINN!!!!!) or a college man or both. Ty Rimmer has played well in a cup of coffee in the AHL and may hang around next season. I’m not sure why the Oilers grabbed him (they had enough minor league goalies) but suspect this might have been a good decision. Tyler Bunz looks like the tortoise in the race currently, although you never know with goalies and his numbers are better year over year. Chet Pickard is also in the conversation.
- Anton Belov played well for the Russians today in their game against the USA. I don’t think they keep him. Mobility is a big issue in the Eakins game.