SIGN YOUR NAME

The Edmonton Oilers made it very clear yesterday than Ben Scrivens has all kinds of opportunity with the team. Does he want it? If the club can’t re-sign him by the deadline, do they run the risk of losing him for nothing? The investment (third round pick) isn’t severe, but the hole in goal is a monster should he decide to test free agency.

There’s a thousand things we don’t know.  Does he enjoy playing for Dallas Eakins? Is he comfortable with this group? Does he feel there will be opportunities elsewhere that are more attractive?

I’m not one to believe Scrivens would refuse an opportunity, hell Justin Schultz chose to come here as a college free agent. Still, there’s some uncertainty here in regard to Scrivens. Should the Oilers roll the dice with the idea they can come to terms with him after the deadline?

112 Responses to "SIGN YOUR NAME"

1. Pouzar says:

Save % be damned I like what my eyes tell me RE: Scrivens so I hope we sign him so MacT doesn’t blow his wad on signing Hiller. We need those $$ elsewhere and I think Scrivens is a starting goaltender just like I thin Marincin is an NHL defender.

2. gogliano says:

I can’t imagine a return that would justify moving him at the deadline. What is the best possible result? Maybe a second round pick. But weight this against the benefits of keeping him past the deadline unsigned: on our end we get to negotiate with him until UFA (or deal his rights before UFA starts for a smaller package) and we get to see him play some more games; he gets to become more acclimated to the team and see if he wants to say.

He has a good reason not to sign too early, reasons that might be resolved before the free agency period. Maybe he wants to get to know the team better. Maybe he wants to feel out his chances of being a starter here a little more before he signs. All things that might be resolved after the trade deadline but before free agency.

I think a potential starter is worth more than a second rounder. And a second rounder is really the best possible return I can fathom.

3. spoiler says:

If they can’t sign him, the Oilers will offer Miller the sun and the moon and all the stars in the heavens during UFA frenzy. Ugh.

I think Scrivens will be thinking more about opportunity to be a starter than he will about money (initially). The issue will be term.

4. book¡je says:

Pay him enough to sign him.

If he Absolutly won’t sign, keep him anyway. This team needs some hope for the future. A strong finish does that.

5. Showerhead says:

3 Facts:

I have no experience projecting goalies.

Ben Scrivens stops a lot of pucks.

I hope they sign him.

I am way more confident in Ben Scrivens being a good goalie than I am in a successful whale hunt.

That was 4 facts (and this is a 5th!) – I am clearly a liar when I write titles.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think you gauge the situation with the player in a serious manner. You don’t have to sign him now, but you have to ascertain whether he’s willing to and not just because you might massively overpay him.

If he’s open, then absolutely play the man, keep him through the deadline and sort out the details as you go.

The rest of the Gs are all in an interesting spot. Let’s review them:

NHL: Bryz
    I think they should trade him even if they are still considering signing him in the offseason. Play him at least once, get what you can (a 3rd?) and keep the relationship in good order. Re-sign him in the off-season if you like what you see and he wants to come back.

AHL: Bachman
    If Bryz goes, Bachman is the obvious choice for a call up. He’s played well(ish) and is getting the bulk of the starts in OKC. The look see to end the season might be worth it anyway to see if you want to re-sign him with an eye to 3 or higher next year.

AHL: Bunz
    Nelson just played Bachman 3 times in 3 days. Bunz is on his way out of the organization. MacT is steamrolling the old goalie depth. I’m not yet convinced Brossoit is a better prospect than Bunz (or Roy for that matter), but MacT has clearly hated his goalie options since day one.

I expect Bunz to be traded shortly for an AHL forward to help the farm when Lander et al get called up.

ECHL: Brossoit
    he’s played well in the E (.924 in 22 games) but not great in the A. I expect when Bunz moves out he’ll be the de facto back-up or starter in the AHL. Clearly the future in MacT’s eyes.

ECHL: Pickard
    Played a number of E and A games (13 and 6 respectively), but not well in either case. Looks like a depth option at this point. may get a look as an AHL backup through the back en of the season.

CHL: Rimmer
    Played pretty well in a crap league, extremely well in limited A duty. If Bryz moves the ripple down will surely see him back up to the A or at least the E.

If Bryz moves, I would look at Scott to pick up a depth AHL G like last year with Niko Hovinen.

7. spoiler says:

If you’re Scrivens and you believe in yourself, would you sign anything longer than one year? Wouldn’t the Oilers, recognizing the possibility of a value contract and needing to spend cap dollars on another vet goalie anyways, prefer longer term?

There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

8. hunter1909 says:

oilers are the ugly girl at the dance so long as Lowe+MacT+ the assorted divs are running the franchise…meanwhile alternatively bullying the people of Edmonton for free concessions, while whining their pathetic fool heads off every time they fuck up(lots of opportunities to practise this).

Whereas once upon a time Slats and Gretzky were THE destination of choice, or at very least a great place to plug in and raise the level of play, by playing with such luminaries as Messier, Kurri etc.

The idea that even a barely NHL goalie like Scrivens feels able to make overly-optimisitc claims about his chances as a UFA while remaining unsigned speaks volumes re MacT’s credibility level.

Now that I’ve vented, time to return to the tried and tested debate re: whether or not the team should blow enough for the rest of the year to obtain yet another super duper draft pick, lol.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:

I think that’s a fair assessment.

But… if you look at his contract history:

It also seems possible that the idea of some security, i.e., a bit of term, could be welcome.

I don’t know how much risk he wants to expose himself to… but he’ll be 28 at the start of next season never having yet made any real $$$.

10. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think that’s a fair assessment.
    But… if you look at his contract history:

Agreed. Like I said, there has to be a happy medium in there somewhere,,, a couple more years before the mast, for a few dollars more? What would it take to buy that security?

There will be a few more teams looking for goalies this summer, it seems from the perspective of today, but there will also be more goalies available…

Again I think the promise of a starter’s role will be key for any team signing him.

11. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Two Oilers among the 10 who gained the most from Sochihttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1973363-the-10-nhl-players-who-received-the-biggest-boost-from-the-2014-winter-olympics

No offense, LT, but as soon as I see a slideshow, I close the window.

spoiler: No offense, LT, but as soon as I see a slideshow, I close the window.

That’s cool. I know they aren’t for everyone, but I enjoy doing them.

13. Showerhead says:

Trade deadline 2006

The strange thing about that deadline (and the time leading up to it) was that the value in each deal felt obvious at the time, and still holds true. I felt immediately that they got Spacek for beans, Tarnstrom for nothing, and Roloson for fair value. Samsonov was kind of an uncommon one in that the players involved were NHLers of perhaps the most different possible styles, but you could see how SS was going to slot into that roster pretty immediately.

Was that the last time Edmonton has addressed obvious needs? It probably is, other than signing Boyd Gordon last summer.

14. RexLibris says:

I thought he had an ankle injury, not a concussion.

15. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: That’s cool. I know they aren’t for everyone, but I enjoy doing them.

As long as you don’t enjoy doing peep shows…

The slide show fits my attention span perfectly.

16. speeds says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d either want him signed, or to feel VERY comfortable he’ll sign, to hold him beyond the deadline provided a good return is a possibility.

If he doesn’t know if he’ll sign by now, what changes with 22 games that doesn’t also see him test the market, knowing EDM is likely a possible fallback?

17. spoiler says:

RexLibris: I thought I had heard that Bolland was asking for $5 million over eight years? Is that right?I thought he had an ankle injury, not a concussion.

$5M x 7 yrs was what I heard on HockeyCentral at Noon. He thinks he’s worth as much as Clarkson and wants something equivalent.

18. fifthcartel says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 4m
    Sources say Ryan Kesler requested a trade some time ago & wants out of Vcr. Told #Canucks don’t want to trade him but may not have a choice.

This trade deadline might be very interesting….

19. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: That’s cool. I know they aren’t for everyone, but I enjoy doing them.

Vacation pics of the Okanagan? Family car trips through the Great Lake region? I’ve sat through what feels like several hundred slide shows in my life.

Provided it isn’t a 300 slide powerpoint with layered text effects in 8pt Comic Sans I’m fine with them.

20. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:
    Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA4m

This trade deadline might be very interesting….

21. russ99 says:

I don’t mind bleacher report, since at least they don’t hide their quality writing behind a paywall.

Plus, TeamStream is the best sports app out there right now.

But I find it odd Marincin wasn’t in the top 5. He played more, tougher minutes vs. international competition and looked very much at home. Yes, he didn’t score a goal and his plus-minus looks ugly, but he really impressed me and could take a step up knowing he can handle that kind of responsibility.

22. Ben says:

Why *would* Scrivens sign with EDM before seeing what else is out there as UFA?

I can think of about 28 places where the climate and hockey are better, and it’s not like the Oilers have a ton of other options lined up — other than *hoping* to drastically overpay a mid-30 year old.

23. RexLibris says:

spoiler: $5M x 7 yrs was what I heard on HockeyCentral at Noon.He thinks he’s worth as much as Clarkson and wants something equivalent.

To be honest though, it makes sense from his perspective. He may be setting a price point for free agency, but also trying for the homerun contract now in case he ends up sitting on the sidelines in July if the market becomes unexpectedly flooded or the offers are underwhelming.

Thank heavens we had that lockout to settle the contract landscape.

Hall , RNH and Eberle looking better and better every day.

24. Numenius says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

NHL: Bryz

I’m not a big fan of trading someone for a pick at the deadline while keeping the options open to re-sign him in the offseason (unless he won’t take it personally and is loyal like Ryan Smyth).

Seems too much like breaking up with your girlfriend so that you can test the market and she can date another guy for awhile, all while considering that you might get back together after he’s done with her.

Have some self-respect!! :)

25. spoiler says:

I don’t know about a world that actually prefers its information on 10 slides of two whole paragraphs each. Talk about inefficient. Do y’all have nothing but time on your hands? Nothing else to read? lol…

See I would rather read a transcript of an interview than watch the actual interview. I can read the transcript in 1 minute, but the interview takes 10 minutes to watch… horrible waste of time. Yet every business network out there wants me to watch their goddamn talking heads.

26. hoser313 says:

Pouzar:

This.

27. RexLibris says:

Have some self-respect!!

We are talking Oilers right? ;)

28. Numenius says:

Pouzar:

Yes, this.

What especially convinces me about Scrivens in contrast with Dubnyk is his attitude.

Dubnyk would get rattled by playing poorly and might throw a little temper tantrum whereas Scrivens seems to be an even keel guy who can put his mistakes behind him and learn from them all while encouraging everyone else to do the same.

That’s what winners do.

Edit: At least that’s what I think they do, not having seen it for a long time. ;)

29. The Great One says:

IF MacT doesn’t have Scrivens signed by next Wednesday…he has to trade him.

There’s your second round pick (from Minnesota) right there.

30. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:

Thank heavens we had that lockout to settle the contract landscape.

Hall , RNH and Eberle looking better and better every day.

DING DING DING

Thank you.

31. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler:
    I don’t know about a world that actually prefers its information on 10 slides of two whole paragraphs each.Talk about inefficient.Do y’all have nothing but time on your hands?Nothing else to read?lol…

See I would rather read a transcript of an interview than watch the actual interview. I can read the transcript in 1 minute, but the interview takes 10 minutes to watch… horrible waste of time.Yet every business network out there wants me to watch their goddamn talking heads.

It’s tough to get you to read the transcript of the 30 second ad they want you to watch before you read the transcript of the 10 minute interview. Anyway, I can save you the 1 minute of reading too: It’s all lies! Damnable lies!

The slide show helps me at this time of day and especially toward the end of the week, when it’s getting tougher for me to focus on any single subject for very long (30-60 seconds). If it was all on one page and with the same topic, I’d “dummy read” half of it. (“Dummy read” is intended to describe the phenomenon of reading without comprehension. You know, like George Bush does.)

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Here’s an interesting meta-battle on Hall that turns into a meta-battle about adv. stats.

It’s an interesting time in hockey talk.

33. The Great One says:

RexLibris: I’m going to have pleasant dreams tonight imagining Brian Burke trading Calgary’s 4th overall selection and Baertschi for Kesler.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I found it interesting that the pundit class asked MacT about his plans re: signing J. Schultz but not about Yakupov, who is undeniably IMO a bigger piece. Or, any of the other RFAs (Hello… Petry!)

I bring this up as a comment on how people think and talk about the Oilers more than about these players and what MacT ought to do with them.

35. The Great One says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 35m

NHL exec told me if Kesler becomes available, it could change the entire dynamic of the trade deadline. #Canucks

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: I’m thinking Kesler (who is a Michigan boy) to Detroit for Nyqvist/Tatar and Detroit’s 1st round pick.

TSN mentioned CBJs and NYR tonight.

37. Alsker says:

Man oh man is MacT gonna be busy the next 6 days. Sign Scrivens and/or Bryz or trade them. What choice does he have. If he didnt start contract talks a month or more ago than this his is own fault. If he did and they wont sign then move them and go fishing for a starting Goalie in the off-season. With the season long since lost he has the benefit of not needing to win now. This holds true for Hemmer, Smyth, and the rest of the UFAs on our books. Lets face it, we’re at stage 1 of rebuild 2.0.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think how Gillis operates depends a great deal on how they play in the next 4 games.

This week could make or break their roster and future.

39. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: TSN mentioned CBJs and NYR tonight.

Interesting.

Ryan Johansen is a Vancouver boy.

40. Pouzar says:

I think my UNDER 3.5 trades is looking good folks. :P

41. Pouzar says:

The Great One: Interesting.

Ryan Johansen is a Vancouver boy.

42. anonymous says:

Mact is a little too loose lipped with his intentions. Don’t see how it serves him to let the league know his plans or expectations.

With the contract demands of players like Bolland and Callahan Mact should be tying up all his rfas to the longest deals possible. The next cba is going to be a bloodbath.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Interesting.

Ryan Johansen is a Vancouver boy.

And… there’s the whole AV thing too.

44. Ryan says:

theres oil in virginia: It’s tough to get you to read the transcript of the 30 second ad they want you to watch before you read the transcript of the 10 minute interview.Anyway, I can save you the 1 minute of reading too: It’s all lies!Damnable lies!

The slide show helps me at this time of day and especially toward the end of the week, when it’s getting tougher for me to focus on any single subject for very long (30-60 seconds).If it was all on one page and with the same topic, I’d “dummy read” half of it.(“Dummy read” is intended to describe the phenomenon of reading without comprehension.You know, like George Bush does.)

Now imagine that a tech geek comes to you with the idea for using slideshows which will increase he page views of any story by potentially up to the number of pages in the slideshow per reader.

From that vantage point, slideshows seem like a great idea.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: No way I do Kesler for RJ if I’m CLB…lotta miles and wear and tear on that Kesler

Myself, I don’t walk away from youth, contract control and talent.

46. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: BM mentioned a swap of either RyJo or Stepan (plus whatever on either deal to get it done on either side)

And… there’s the whole AV thing too.

Columbus makes a lot of sense.

47. fifthcartel says:

Kesler only signed for 2+ more years is a little sketchy but man, I wonder where he’ll go.

48. The Great One says:

Columbus has an imperative to win now.

The Canucks need to get younger.

I would imagine Columbus would trade Johansen + for Kesler.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The thing about the slide show at BR that I don’t mind is that the button to flip to the next one follows you as you scroll down. that makes a big difference.

Still, in general I agree. slideshows suck. I’ll read anything LT writes though.

I once read a Derrida book about Nietzsche where he prattled on about a trivial note found among his things. It read: “I have forgotten my umbrella.” Terrible book. It was about Nietzsche though…

50. magisterrex says:

spoiler:

Completely agree.

51. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t see it either. But, Kesler is amazing and he probably commands RyJo plus to get.

Myself, I don’t walk away from youth, contract control and talent.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Apparently Kesler and AV don’t see things eye to eye and Kesler does have a NTC so he can choose where he wants to go.

Columbus makes a lot of sense.

BM mentioned the AV thing as a plus for a trade.

maybe it’s more like a stormy relationship they each can’t get enough of?

53. hunter1909 says:

spoiler:

In a world where everyone has access to a 1930′s Hollywood film studio equivalent(mobile phones), the moving image is dead.

theres oil in virginia: The slide show helps me at this time of day and especially toward the end of the week, when it’s getting tougher for me to focus on any single subject for very long (30-60 seconds). If it was all on one page and with the same topic, I’d “dummy read” half of it.

We would do that because 80% of everything we generally read tends to be dross.

Internet “news” items that come in series of 10s, with generally vacuous commentary we might as well be peasants in 714 AD Europe, now that books are a thing of the past for public consumption.

54. anonymous says:

St. Louis will only waive his NMC for the Rangers. Pathetic. This is something they should have fixed last cba.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Youth, contract control and talent don’t trump an impact player and, as we’ve seen, can land you in 29th place.

This is a non-sensical argument.

RyJo is already an impact player. Losing him to gain Kesler is at best a slight improvement on a saw-off now with diminishing returns down the line.

Terrible teams often have great players. They don’t get better by losing great players for equivalent great players.

Get good players, keep good players.

56. Pouzar says:

Myself, I don’t walk away from youth, contract control and talent.

I agree with that and imo it isn’t like CLB is on the cusp of contendership. They have some nice pieces and a good thing going but Kesler for RJ is just not the move they need to be making right now.

57. hunter1909 says:

Ryan: Imagine you own the bleacher report website… Imagine advertisers pay you in cpm rates (basically a dollar figure per thousand page views ).
    From that vantage point, slideshows seem like a great idea.

mmmkay so you’re saying that selling tickets to the circus is great, so long as they keep running to see The Egress.

58. Pouzar says:

That is soooooo HF Oil bless yer heart.

I don’t miss those days.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

anonymous:
    St. Louis will only waive his NMC for the Rangers.Pathetic.This is something they should have fixed lastcba.

I think we should wait to write the script on MSL.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Should have watched the BOS-BUF game.

This DET-MONT game is a real dud. Thank god hockey is back!

61. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: This is a non-sensical argument.

Get good players, keep good players.

This is a nonsensical argument.

Kesler is a better player than Johansen.

Full stop.

Kesler will likely be a better player for the next 3 seasons at least.

Full stop.

Get good players…..

62. anonymous says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah hopefully it isn’t how it looks. Scenarios like this, the Iginla to Boston even the Smyth back to Edmonton are really hard as a fan to sympathize with.

The Great One: This is a nonsensical argument.

Kesler is a better player than Johansen.

Full stop.

Kesler will likely be a better player for the next 3 seasons at least.

Full stop.

Get good players…..

doug MacLean isn’t in Columbus anymore.

64. Pouzar says:

RJ = Big Blue Bubbles in the upper left…be still my heart why couldn’t we steal this kid.

65. The Great One says:

Lowetide: doug MacLean isn’t in Columbus anymore.

No he isn’t.

But John Davidson and Jarmo Kelkalainen are and they know something about winning if ever there was a question about that.

I’m sure they are aware that a veteran C with Kesler’s credentials can have much more of an impact on a teams fortunes than a 22 year old.

Given that the Jackets also have Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinksy, Boone Jenner and Mark Letestu at centre, they may be in a position to roll the dice on Kesler.

I know I would.

66. Pouzar says:

The Great One: No he isn’t.

I know I would.

1. RJ is 8 years younger.
    2. Cheaper
    3. Cost controlled and nowhere near UFA
    4. According to Player Usage Charts is more “Shutdown” than Kesler so he’s outKesler-ing Kesler.
    5. And has more pts in less games hence a way better PPG.

67. Ducey says:

Kesler has not asked for a trade as per his agent.

68. Ducey says:

Pouzar: 1. RJ is 8 years younger.
    2. Cheaper
    3. Cost controlled and nowhere near UFA
    5. And has more pts in less games hence a way better PPG.

6. Less brittle

69. The Great One says:

Pouzar: 1. RJ is 8 years younger.
    2. Cheaper
    3. Cost controlled and nowhere near UFA
    5. And has more pts in less games hence a way better PPG.

Points 1-3 are for teams that don’t care about winning now.

Point 4 only addresses how a player is being used, not what he is capable of.

Kesler is a Selke trophy winner AND a 40 goal goal scorer.

Johansen might be that player one day. He might not.

Point 5 is valid this season but Kesler has a much better track record.

70. RexLibris says:

Kesler for Johansen seems like a fair deal to me. The Canucks can have a short drop off with a strong possibility of improvement in acquiring Johansen, it adds center depth to a young core including Shinkaruk and Horvat, and moves a valuable piece when he is likely near top-value.

For the Blue Jackets they get a competitor right now. What they give up for tomorrow they gain for today. It isn’t pretty, and may even hasten a return to the bottom of the standings five years from now, but for that organization in their current situation it is perhaps a deal worth making.

The Columbus fan base has had a grand total of 2 playoff games in twelve years.

It should also be noted that Kesler’s agent is saying he hasn’t requested a trade.

71. Pouzar says:

The Great One: Now, you’re thinking like an Oilers fan where it’s all about some mythological future.

Points 1-3 are for teams that don’t care about winning now.

Point 4 only addresses how a player is being used, not what he is capable of.

Kesler is a Selke trophy winner AND a 40 goal goal scorer.

Johansen might be that player one day.He might not.

Point 5 is valid this season but Kesler has a much better track record.

No I think I am very much in the “now” and you are living in the past.

72. bendelson says:

Why wouldn’t a Kessler to Columbus trade not begin with Dubinsky going to Vancouver?

Similar players. Dubinsky/Torts connection? Alaska born player to the NW?

Dubinsky++?
    Good hockey trade?

73. spoiler says:

Ryan: If you don’t understand the purpose of the slideshow, it’s not your fault. You’re just looking at this issue from the wrong vantage point.

From that vantage point, slideshows seem like a great idea.

And the only way to show them it is a bad idea is to close the window, despite who the author is.

These are likely the same idiots who think it is a great idea to put animated ads next to things you’re trying to read. Or that use websites that are beyond labyrinthine to navigate and laid out in a nonsensical disarray… like the Journal website.

My only option for convincing those idiots that these are bad ideas is to close the window. I almost never visit the Journal website any more, despite that meaning that I don’t get to read Bruce. There are far too many good content demands for my attention, far too many options that are well-presented to the reader’s eye, that I won’t waste my time with those sites that can’t be bothered.

And I expect that disregard for their audience is one reason why the MSM’s revenues are getting slaughtered and why they are so desperate for good, cheap, regular content that gents like Bruce can provide them.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It’s really early… but I think they sign him next spring in the midst of an overage season.

He’s the only other D from the draft class. A recent look see:

75. Marcus Oilerius says:

Is there some special talent that Sutters have for sucking the scoring out of a team?

I don’t know how else a team with Justin Williams, Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Drew Doughty can struggle to score this badly.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marcus Oilerius:

Yes. It’s called bland.

It is a special power, but not one I’d wish on my worst enemy. Because, I’d hate to be struck down by my enemy in a bland fashion.

77. 106 and 106 says:

The real Trade Deadline isn’t the picks that will be coming back to stock the cupboards,
    it’s whether The Professor signs by then. If not, he’s gone and the Goalie whale hunt gets tacked onto the #1D whale hunt and the rebuild enters another middling phase.

MacT also had some harsh words about this being the best goaltending since Roli – Dubey had some good nights…

78. 106 and 106 says:

This is crazy – Scrivens hasn’t ever played more than 45 games in a season (and that was back in the AJHL with the Saints):

Has he never been a starter?

79. gvblackhawk says:

Vancouver would certainly expect (and get) a better return than that.

80. Marcus Oilerius says:

106 and 106,

He started two season with the Marlies, though he had light duties (33 and 39 games – most on his team, but there were 3-4 goalies on each squad.)

By mistake, I happened to look at the Oil Kings and saw that Samuelsson and Lazar are tearing it up. Hard to blame the Oilers for coveting both.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

106 and 106:

Has he never been a starter?

He was a starter in College. Played pretty much every game in his final 3 years:

82. The Great One says:

Just watching the Canucks/Blues game.

At the intermission, the hosts said that Gillis, who would not submit to a scrum, did NOT deny Kesler asked for a trade.

Kesler IS in play.

83. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

The Hall Corsi% article is interesting.

I’m conflicted though. On the one hand I am so thankful for insightful, intelligent conversation on this topic rather than “he’s an injury prone diva and the Oilers shoulda taken Seguin” or some such. On the other hand, my word, have we gone through the looking glass on analysis here?!

On Betker – interesting. Perhaps they do, especially with the contract space opening up with the loss of Hartikainen, Abney, and many others.

Two names I’d keep an eye out for this draft is Sautner and Kulda as late round picks. Especially Kulda. The Oilers have been looking at Latvia lately now and Kulda has shown some nice late-stage development and that all-important Oilers cliche of late, an ability to play with skill.

Sautner is 6’1″, 194lbs and has had a tremendous season by way of +/- (the best we can get in terms of possession stats for the dub).

If either are still around in the 6th or 7th I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear their names called by the Oilers.

84. Marcus Oilerius says:

Kesler IS in play.

Tempting, but he’ll be 30 next season and he’s had a lot of injuries recently.

I suspect Oilers are high on Betker. Big, strong, foot speed. Yeah.

86. RexLibris says:

So, uh, Buffalo is five points back with a game in hand.

Eklbad was born in ’96 but that is an odd number for a defenseman.

#14 is taken.

#13? Last worn by Cam Barker. I don’t think we even want to go there.

#44? How about we just retire that number to the closet never to be removed.

How about Luke Richardson’s old #22? Or Greg Hawgood’s #15? Better yet, Risto Siltanen’s #8.

Please let us entertain thoughts other than draft rankings next spring.

87. RexLibris says:

I suspect Oilers are high on Betker.

Kids and their street drugs these days. Smack, crack, dope, meth, betker…

88. RexLibris says:

Just looked up Ekblad’s older brother, Darien.

Goalie, undrafted, with a 4.14 GAA, .858 sv% with the GOJHL Chatham Maroons.

I wonder whose games mom and dad go to most often?

89. FastOil says:

The legend of Kesler is legendary. His three pretty good years were pretty good. Stick a fork in him.

A few major surgeries and 30 next season. I don’t think he’ll rebound much. Not that 30 is too old, just that 30 with 2 000 000 miles is a bad combo combined with mediocre production at his best.

It would be a feat to lose the trade for Gillis. It is the perfect time to trade him – rep high as can be and play in decline. It will be a good day for Oiler fans if they miss the opportunity and Iggy him.

90. frjohnk says:

Wow! Are the Av’s top 4 young players the best in the league? Duchene, OReilly, Landenskog and McKinnon. A mixture of speed, skill, grit, two way ability out of those guys. I’m impressed with that group.

91. gvblackhawk says:

RexLibris:
    So, uh, Buffalo is five points back with a game in hand.

Eklbad was born in ’96 but that is an odd number for a defenseman.

#14 is taken.

#13? Last worn by Cam Barker. I don’t think we even want to go there.

#44? How about we just retire that number to the closet never to be removed.

Please let us entertain thoughts other than draft rankings next spring.

Sam Reinhart with another 2G, 1A game tonight. He is averaging almost three points per game over the last six weeks. He might be a ‘decent’ consolation prize if the Oil don’t get Ekblad.

92. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Re-Scriven’s

I don’t blame him for wanting to test free agency, at 28 he wants to maximize his offers, but it leads me to this question.

If he wanted decent money with term and lock on playing time, why wouldn’t he sign with the Oilers? I mean that’s as secure a player can be?

That has me worried that he’s bolting come July 1st, it’s not set in stone, but sure scares the shit out of me.

Re-Kesler

As for Kesler, the man can play has a mean streak, but I can’t see CBJ trading R.Johansen for Kesler regardless if it makes them better for the next 2 or 3 years.

Right now the differences between the players is pretty thin.

IMO- I think in the long run Jenner is the better all round player then both those players.

I wonder what it would take to get Lazar out of Ottawa?

I still think the Oilers should take the center at the draft, but have to admit I really like Ekblad.

93. Caramel Obvious says:

Some people have ludicrous ideas about Kessler’s value.

Trading Johansen for Kesler straight up is terrible for Columbus. You aren’t trading players you are trading contracts.

Nyquist + first round pick for Kesler is also terrible.

Never trade high end young players for players in their thirties. You’ll end up with the worse player much of the time and you’ll get the more expensive player all of the time.

Trading for Kesler is a sucker bet. Remember Branch Rickey. Always trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late. The inverse is also true.

94. Hammers says:

95. spoiler says:

Hammers: Scrivens will sign a 2 year deal at $ 2.75 per then at 30 he has a chance for a home run if his as good as many seem to think . I’m not sure and McT may wait for another 12-15 games before trying to sign him . Pros & cons are . Really need a run of games to be sure even though no normal pressure &Oiler players should be loose . Major con is he may put up fantastic numbers and walk . Decisions , Decisions .

If I’m MacT, I’m pointing to contracts like the one Mike Smith had before he proved himself as a good full-time starter. And despite the fact that term presents risk to the Oilers, so does the lack of term in a cap world. I think they should offer three years.

I look at what Dubnyk got and I worry how high the Oil would be willing to go on a three year deal on basically the same amount of evidence. I’m hoping Scrivens would leap at a $2,5M X 3 year deal, if he’s guaranteed to be the starter next season… he gets lifetime security with that kind of money and still has an opportunity for a home-run deal or two (he has low miles) before his career is done.

96. 106 and 106 says:

Hammers,

Eakins has made it clear that he wants to keep both goalies warm after the long break so we’ll be seeing Bryz a fair bit here in the stretch run – odd tactic, but it seems the GM likes Ben and the coach likes both.

97. Caramel Obvious says:

spoiler: If I’m MacT, I’m pointing to contracts like the one Mike Smith had before he proved himself as a good full-time starter.And despite the fact that term presents risk to the Oilers, so does the lack of term in a cap world.I think they should offer three years.

I look at what Dubnyk got and I worry how high the Oil would be willing to go on a three year deal on basically the same amount of evidence.I’m hoping Scrivens would leap at a $2,5M X 3 year deal, if he’s guaranteed to be the starter next season… he gets lifetime security with that kind of money and still has an opportunity for a home-run deal or two (he has low miles) before his career is done.

I think it takes more than that. Maybe a lot more. I hope I’m wrong.

If I’m the Oilers I pay what it takes and try and get it done soon. Scrivens at any price is going to be better than the alternative (Halak for even more money, trading for someone like Quick, etc.), and if this goes to June I don’t see the incentive for him to stay.

98. art vandelay says:

Kesler is very high mileage. But he brings tremendous short-term value.
    Detroit is always going for it, so a youngster + pick for kes isn’t far-fetched.
    CBJ is nowhere near contending for the Cup. Trading a potential cornerstone player for a guy who helps you sneak into the playoffs and get swept in the first round is the kind of thing that spud-island nincompoop Doug Maclean might do,

99. hunter1909 says:

art vandelay: Also, “bleacher report” and “quality writing” do not belong in the same sentence.

Agreed. They even asked me if I wanted to write a column for them; reminding me of the Groucho Marx quote: “I wouldn’t join a club that would have me as a member.”

art vandelay: Kesler is very high mileage. But he brings tremendous short-term value.

Another instance I’d try to trade them Gagner+Hemsky+prospect for Kesler. *runs*

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan,

He’s pretty active on twitter.

Smart guy.

101. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m not sure what you’re implying here, but I’ll leave it be.

I guess you haven’t noticed that as you click through the slide show, the ads don’t change! The only part of the page that loads new content is the slide show.

- – - – - – -

Ugh. I can’t believe I just engaged in a multiple part discussion on an Oilers blog about the merits of the internet slide show as a presentation medium. Damn, the Oilers suck.

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: So, uh, Buffalo is five points back with a game in hand.

2 wins in a row and still 5 points back. Just shows how far back they were from us, a terrible team.

I still think we climb the standings a touch as some of these other bottom dwellers relieve themselves of talent and end up around 3rd or 4th. At that point we are still going to get a great player. I just hope it’s a C. I’m not particularly wowed by the wingers getting mentionables in the range.

Reinhart is putting on a show and is going to make any team picking 1st think twice about snagging Ekblad.

Jones, a superior player to Ekblad, slipped to 4.

103. nelson88 says:

Hard to pull off one big trade let alone two but would love to see

Ganger + Klefbom for Edler

Hemsky + Belov for Beau Bennett and Derrick Pouliot

104. Ryan says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m not sure what you’re implying here, but I’ll leave it be.

I guess you haven’t noticed that as you click through the slide show, the ads don’t change!The only part of the page that loads new content is the slide show.

- – – – – – -

Ugh.I can’t believe I just engaged in a multiple part discussion on an Oilers blog about the merits of the internet slide show as a presentation medium.Damn, the Oilers suck.

lol neither can I. :)

Anyway, it looks like you’re right. I thought it was only because I was using my ipad.

Either way, every time you change the slide, it moves to a new page. This decreases the website’s bounce rate which helps it rank better in google search algos and still inflates the site’s page views which makes it more desirable to advertise on.

105. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan,
    spoiler,

106. Caramel Obvious says:

Ryan:
    Never seen this site until today.

That’s a devastating critique of Staples methodology. It also repeats, in different words, the critique I gave a few months ago.

Staples, and his system, are useless.

107. art vandelay says:

Staples, and his system, are useless.
    There are two words in that sentence that definitely look correct together.

108. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m just going to put my enjoyment of internet slide shows back in the closet where it belongs so I don’t get e-bullied anymore. Is there nowhere safe for people like me?

Chamberlayne Ave? No e-bullying there. There’s a trade-off though.

109. VanOil says:

Actions vrs Words we wan’t to compete down the stretch…

The Oilers newly competitive goal tending and under preforming high end talent could see them rocket out of a top 3 pick. Fortunately there is Fraser. The Fraser-Ferrence boat anchor should ensure that the team maintains a top three pick. There is no other rational reason to ice this pair of players. I believe someone here christened them the FFF pairing, well done.

Any night I see these two on the game sheet I assume the Oilers are not playing for the win. Looks like Belov is in the Fraser spot tonight so there is a chance.