TEN THINGS I’D LIKE TO SEE IN THE NEXT TEN DAYS

The NHL gets back to business this week, and the trade deadline is about 10 days away. Things will happen rapido, maybe as early as midnight tonight. Here’s 10 things I would like to see:

2. A good home for Mark Arcobello, if they’re not going to use him.
  3. A signed Ben Scrivens at a reasonable number.
  4. Nick Schultz in a new uniform.
  5. Closure on Sam Gagner’s situation.
  6. A signed Ales Hemsky.
  7. Some good possession numbers in the next Oiler games.
  9. A big run of power-play goals.
  10. A signed Dillon Simpson.

40 Responses to "TEN THINGS I’D LIKE TO SEE IN THE NEXT TEN DAYS"

1. PaperDesigner says:

I think you’re pushing your luck a little with number seven there, Lowetide.

Furthermore, I think we need to coin a new term. They have more Actual NHL Defencemen (ANDs), but what they need right now is more NODs. That is, “Not Overwhelmed Defencemen”, meaning defencemen who are NOT playing higher in the line-up than their ability allows them to have success.

I can’t remember then last time the Oilers had more than one or two NODs.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I like 1 and 2 a lot…

but they occasion a new question…

what the hell is Bill Scott going to do if/when those things happen?

————-
    mentioned this in the last thread… but it’s gnawing at me.

I like Nelson a lot. But he needs someone to ask him about playing Bachman 3 days in a row (on the road no less).

If he doesn’t have any faith in Bunz Scott and MacT need to resolve that… but this is not a smart play, by an otherwise seemingly very smart man.

3. leadfarmer says:

Am I the only one that wants Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and all the others to finish the year in OKC. What they learn in fighting together and getting their team into the playoffs and hopefully a long playoff run will far supass bringing them into this mess, that will only get messier the last 10 games of the season when we will get owned by our division. Detroit model only works if you’re patient.

4. oliveoilers says:

leadfarmer:
    Am I the only one that wants Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and all the others to finish the year in OKC.What they learn in fighting together and getting their team into the playoffs and hopefully a long playoff run will far supass bringing them into this mess, that will only get messier the last 10 games of the season when we will get owned by our division.Detroit model only works if you’re patient.

Messier is playing the last 10 games?

5. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Maybe Todd’s trying to make a point. Get this bum out of here and give me our ECHL kid instead.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cabbiesmacker: Theres next to zero reason to play Bunz when you’re trying to make a playoff spot.

All the analytics we have suggest playing a goalie back to back, let alone back to back to back let alone all on the road, let alone with a day game, let alone with travel… is a really, really bad idea.

Bunz has an AHL sv% of 0.914 in 4 games this year. not bad. tiny sample.

If they are going to bother having him on the Barons team, keep him as a prospect, it is literally insane to not play him in this situation, which is tailored to play a back up, esp. a prospect.

If they have no interest in him as a prospect anymore they should loan him to the chl or try to trade him for a minor league F.

7. jp says:

oliveoilers: Messier is playing the last 10 games?

Yeah, heard he’s the solution to the hole at 2C.

8. stevezie says:

I remain confused as to why Acro scoring 11 points in five games isn’t a bigger deal. If Omark did that the sphere would explode.

stevezie:

10. BONVIE says:

stevezie:

Well to me he could be in the Gagner spot if we were to make a trade for Gagner, but moving Gagner has to be part of a trade for either the big top 6 winger or top 2 defenseman trade they have needed to make for the last few years.

11. Oiler Al says:

7. Sign Hemsky …. if he stays he:s pretty much a 3 rd line RW. Îf you are paying Sam Gagner
    $4.8, then Hemsky has to be in the same range, besides Hemsky can get more than $3.5 on the UFA market, so I dont see how this would work out. Probably not at alll, especially if you have a 3 rd line checker making $4 million bucks.

12. BONVIE says:

Lowetide: For me, Arco’s shown what he is and the Oilers have shown what they think of him. Arco was better than Gagner for weeks after 89 came back but they kept running Gagner out there. Oilers must value what he can do (and it’s substantial) but not enough to actually play him.

It’s not like they can sit Gagner for Arcobello, they can send Arcobello to the minors more easily if they already know hes part of the future. Its Hemsky who i would most like to see traded at the deadline, but for Gagner I also believe enough teams may be interested in his offence. The Oilers need to collect the prospects and high draft picks and look to make the big trade at the draft for a top pair Dman.

13. sliderule says:

I am sorry but the most important thing for the oilers is no more than 7 wins.

There are five very good players available in draft and maybe two or three more for a team that has a great scouting staff.As the oilers do not have my trust they need to pick in top five.

This draft while overall maybe not quite as good as last year in the top five they have impact players who will rival and maybe exceed last years.

I think we need to quit worrying about the big trade and just keep adding good players.

You want to make your big trade when you are in middle third of teams then you get value.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I pointed out this guy the other day (I’m sure some of you have noticed him too)… well the Big Stauff is saying things now… what could that mean, I wonder:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 16m
    Spokane’s Mitch Holmberg an undrafted 20 year-old from Sherwood Park, has scored a hat-trick for the 2nd consecutive game. Now has 57 G

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 6m
    Holmberg has scored 57G in 63GP and is a clear 35 points ahead of #2 scorer in Spokane. He has 9 games left. He will get an NHL Deal IMO

I’m guessing he’s just an interested party and not representing on the Oilers here.

Holmberg is too small and skilled for the Oilers’ way of thinking, esp. under MacT post-Gagner-assault.

But, a guy like him is found $$ at this point, like Dane Fox. Maybe never works out, but it costs you nothing to try.

Fifth Cartel posted something that I deleted (with his permission). It would certainly dovetail that Holmberg would be a player EDM would know about based on his post.

16. Kris11 says:

My list

1. Deal N Schultz for whatever.

2. Deal Hemsky for whatever. (If you want him back, he is a UFA soon. If not, the team needs money spent on D more than F.)

3. Sign Scrivens to a longer deal at not so big numbers.

4. Bring up Lander and Fedun to see how they do and give them some experience. (Waive Hartikainen, Jones, whoever you need to in order to bring them up, if so needed.(

5. Try to deal Smyth to a contender for a last shot, unless he doesn’t want to go, of course.

6. Put Yak on the PP all day long. Make his shot the #1 option.

7. Keep Hall-RNH-Yak together for a while.

8. If you can get a good Dman for a package involving Gagner, do it.

9. Try running a trap, defensive system. See how it goes.

10. Accept K-Lowe’s resignation.

17. sliderule says:

Greene’s job description was to find undrafted players so Holmberg an Edmonton boy would be an obvious target..

18. Pouzar says:

Gotta luv Eklund…It’s like junk food for me…I can’t stop eating!

“The Rangers and Oilers are talking and a few sources are hinting that Callahan and Yakupov may be in the discussions…

Here’s 10 things I would like to see:

A good home for Mark Arcobello, if they’re not going to use him.

A signed Ben Scrivens at a reasonable number.

Nick Schultz in a new uniform.

Closure on Sam Gagner’s situation.
    A signed Ales Hemsky.

Some good possession numbers in the next Oiler games.

A big run of power-play goals.

A signed Dillon Simpson.

Agreed.

Ryan Dittrick talks to Yak:

Yak is the hardest working Oiler:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned watching Nail Yakupov skate over the past year, it’s that relentless work ethic – a stoic, easily discernible quality on full display at all times. Few work harder and are more accountable than he is. Almost every day, practice ends with a voluntary bag skate. After a game, the stairs are most common.

“That’s what they should all be doing,” Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said. “Nail works extremely hard.”

And what does Yak have to say? :

“I love it,” Yakupov added. “This is the NHL, the best league in the world. I’ve got to work as hard as I possibly can to become a better player, every single day. If it takes a little sweat, so what?”

This kid is going to score 40g 40a 80pts

Book it!!

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Interesting twitterings:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 6m
    It’s believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I’m told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

Fear The Fin ‏@fearthefin 25m
    Can’t blame Sather for trying but Ryan Callahan for Marty St. Louis is a laughable offer http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/no-traction-on-st-louis-rangers-plan-to-deal-callahan-sources/

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    Gotta luv Eklund…It’s like junk food for me…I can’t stop eating!

Sounds like Sather is trolling everyone for the big fish with Callahan.

Maybe someone will bite.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I realize we don’t print rumors around here… but… man, now you just have me curious. next time delete it and pretend it never existed.

Sitting here wondering what the hell I missed.

24. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Sounds like Sather is trolling everyone for the big fish with Callahan.

Maybe someone will bite.

He only needs one short-sighted GM to make it work.

25. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Gotta luv Eklund…It’s like junk food for me…I can’t stop eating!

Haven’t been to his site in ages. Yost and Huddle were the only two i read at the end. Yost has his head screwed on straight and Huddle provided some interesting prospect insight.

The rest…well…like you say, junk food. LT has raised my expectations regarding online content. I’m in a new blogging bracket now. Dammit, LT, why couldn’t you leave us ignorant unwashed masses well enough alone!

26. RexLibris says:

1. A modern ‘Bulldog line’ callup of Anton Lander, Roman Horak and Tyler Pitlick. Saw them today and they looked good. (love to see this happen)

2. A good home for Mark Arcobello, if they’re not going to use him. (please, I’d cheer for him in anything but a Flames jersey)

3. A signed Ben Scrivens at a reasonable number. (thought something would happen here over the break)

4. Nick Schultz in a new uniform. (Boston still interested?)

5. Closure on Sam Gagner’s situation. (I think we wait until the draft, now)

6. A signed Ales Hemsky. (too much to hope for, I think)

7. Some good possession numbers in the next Oiler games. (see above)

8. A 4th line that shows some signs, any signs, of one day becoming Dowd-Devereaux-Laraque. (see above-above)

9. A big run of power-play goals. (honestly earned through prudent use of talent, yes)

10. A signed Dillon Simpson. (this I expect to see shortly after the deadline)

Missed one…

11. http://www.scarlettjohansson.org/

Like the 11th commandment, it puts everything that comes before it into perspective.

27. Hammers says:

Kris11:
    My list

1. Deal N Schultz for whatever.

3. Sign Scrivens to a longer deal at not so big numbers.

6. Put Yak on the PP all day long. Make his shot the #1 option.

7. Keep Hall-RNH-Yak together for a while.

8. If you can get a good Dman for a package involving Gagner, do it.

9. Try running a trap, defensive system. See how it goes.

10. Accept K-Lowe’s resignation.

Hartski was traded already ???? You don’t get a good “D” for Gags . Lowe’s going nowhere .

28. AZOIL says:

What is the difference from Kruger and Lander? Didn’t both play in Europe, both are centeres and both defensively responsible. Everyone raves about Chicagos 4th line, well Lander deserves a full season to show he belongs no? Does anyone know how Kruger scored when he played in that Swedish league?

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

AZOIL:

Lander was playing against men earlier. And, has suffered from horrible linemates in the NHL.

The comparisons are hard prior to the draft because of the league hopping.

I think there is no doubt that Kruger is the better player today, but how much of that is playing on a good team vs a bad one? hard to say.

30. Kris11 says:

Hammers,

I meant Joensuu. Oops.

Also, I said a “package including Gagner.”

The Lowe thing is a dream, but a good dream.

31. 106 and 106 says:

5. Closure on Sam Gagner’s situation.

The only way closure will happen is if he’s traded.

If he’s an Oiler in March, then we still have all of the draft and all of summer to wait to get closure as his NTC doesn’t kick in till the season starts (right?).

32. Caramel Obvious says:

stevezie:

Repeated for truth. Arcobello is a proven player at this point.

There is no such thing as a player that can score in the AHL who can’t score in the NHL.

If there is such a thing it is because a player has skating issues and racks up points on the powerplay. Arcobello has no skating issues.

Arcobello is the found money. Call him up and play him as fourth line center. Give him more ice time is someone gets hurt or there is a trade. But don’t lose him for nothing. This team needs real depth. Arcobello is real depth.

33. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Caramel Obvious,

Arcobello is the found money.
    __________________________

Love it.

Like slipping on the spring coat from that last ball tourny you were at, and there’s a twenty and two drink tickets in the pocket.

Arcobelloooooooooo!!!

34. Captain Smarmy says:

I too, like Arcobello as the 4th line center. He’d be great down there and can slide up temporarily in the top six if a guy gets hurt or needs to ride pine for a bit or whatever.

35. jp says:

106 and 106:
    5. Closure on Sam Gagner’s situation.

The only way closure will happen is if he’s traded.

NTC starts July 1st.

36. Ryan says:

6. Ales Hemsky traded to the Penguins with Anton Belov for Pittsburg’s number 1 ov.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan:

You should be able to get a late first (not a 1st OV) with Hemsky alone.

No need to throw in a useful piece like Belov. Trade Belov for a 3rd, if you have to trade him.

38. Pouzar says:

So much for trades being “done” over the break. *sigh*

39. russ99 says:

Here’s my 10:

1. Eakins comes back from the break with a new mentality, and knowing he doesn’t have the horses to implement his preferred systems, backs off the defensive hardline, and stops the tip dumps into the zone.

2. Gagner is traded, if just to resolve the situation and not let MacT waffle at the draft ending up with us stuck with him in July with a NTC.

3. Hemsky traded, for his benefit and ours, with a decent asset coming back, even if it’s just a low first round pick.

4-6 Clear out spots where we’re going to improve in FA:

4. Clear out any defenseman who’s not in the plan going forward gets moved. IMO that means N. Schultz, Belov, Potter, Grebeshkov and maybe Larsen. Bring up some AHLers to get a cup of coffee.

5. Dump some of the poor bottom six options like Jones, Joensuu, Eager and any un-needed facepunchers.

6. Clear out any two-way AHL contracts that we’re not going to retain.

7. Give Arcobello and Lander another shot before dumping them for nothing in the offseason.

8. Sign Scrivens

9. At least some kind of front office shakeup is needed. Maybe Lowe is untouchable, but pro scouting and other departments need a full reboot, and that includes all assistant coaches.

10. For goodness sakes, let Smytty retire as an Oiler.

40. auzy11 says:

bring up some young guys and give them some ice time,,,see what they can do