THE CALLUP LIST

I think we have the callup list surrounded, what does that tell us about the deadline? Edmonton Oilers GM Craig MacTavish spent the weekend watching the Oklahoma City Barons. An article in the Oklahoman from Michael Baldwin indicates the possible callup list:

• Baldwin: Possible call-ups include: forwards Mark Arcobello, Anton Lander and Roman Horak, plus defensemen Oscar Klefbom and Taylor Fedun.

This is a close match for the item I wrote at ON yesterday, meaning we can take heart that the math and what Willis is seeing in OKC matches management’s decisions. These things are usually pretty obvious, when a prospect is ready he’s ready. The one mild surprise is Klefbom, but we’ll see how it goes.

IF THEY’RE ON THE WAY, WHO IS GOING?

Let’s look at the roster as it stands, and I’ll place the names above where they might fit.

• Starting Goalie: Ben Scrivens
  • Backup Goalie: Ilya Bryzgalov (Richard Bachman)
  • 1D: Jeff Petry
  • 2D: Martin Marincin
  • 3D: Justin Schultz
  • 4D: Andrew Ference
  • 5D: Nick Schultz (Taylor Fedun, Oscar Klefbom)
  • 6D: Mark Fraser (Taylor Fedun, Oscar Klefbom)
  • 7D: Anton Belov (Taylor Fedun, Oscar Klefbom)
  • 8D: Corey Potter (Taylor Fedun, Oscar Klefbom)
  • 9D: Phil Larsen (Taylor Fedun, Oscar Klefbom)
  • 1C: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  • 2C: Sam Gagner (Mark Arcobello, Anton Lander)
  • 3C: Boyd Gordon
  • 4C: Ryan Smyth (Mark Arcobello, Anton Lander)
  • 1L: Taylor Hall
  • 2L: Nail Yakupov
  • 3L: Jesse Joesnuu
  • 4L: Luke Gazdic
  • 5L: Ryan Jones (Roman Horak, Anton Lander)
  • 1R: Jordan Eberle
  • 2R: David Perron
  • 3R: Ales Hemsky (Roman Horak, Mark Arcobello)
  • 4R: Matt Hendricks

Is that about right? I’d say the potential callups dictate the potential exits: Ilya Bryzgalov, Nick Schultz, Corey Potter, Mark Fraser, Anton Belov, Phil Larsen, Sam Gagner, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Jones, Ales Hemsky.

Now, we know some of these guys don’t have value, but others will have more value than we think they do (defensemen ALWAYS fetch silly return. Corey Potter might be a sought-after pickup, and I bet you someone seeing Anton Belov at the Olympics is going to make a pitch).

The main names are Ales Hemsky, Nick Schultz and Ryan Smyth if he wants to go.

(Lander photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved)

30 Responses to "THE CALLUP LIST"

1. marty mcscorely says:

i don’t see a large improvement on the players possibly leaving and the suggested incoming replacements. mac t has his work cut out for him.

2. Sliderule says:

I think Schultz sr will be traded.
    Just about every body else no one wants.
    I would hope Larsen and Potter are sent down and Klefbom and Fedun are brought up.
    You are spot on with Marincin.He will be our number one D.
    In my opinion he was the Slovaks second best D.
    I hope they keep Sam.They are not going to get value and good goal keeping will make all the oilers more tradeable.

3. jp says:

I’d never considered that Fraser could be on the move again so soon after being acquired, but I guess if someone is willing to offer a 3rd for him MacT might listen.

Do you think his play since arriving has affected the teams view of him?

jp:

Do you think his play since arriving has affected the teams view of him?

No. Not really. Fraser’s a physical player who makes defensive mistakes. Teams are willing to overlook them because of the physical side of his game. I do think this player type plays less in the post-season because penalties are so costly.

5. alsker says:

MARTY MCSCORELY says:
    February 16, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Exactly, if we see any improvement from moving expensive players(vets) to OKC callups then we are miles ahead. Take the $ left over and buy what we really need this summer(or try to anyways). If the replacements are as good a whats heading out of town then half of MacT’s job is already done for him. Personally looking forward to Lander centering the 2nd line…might make people forget about snowypants quicker than they think!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Clay says:

Man, I can’t see Ryan Smyth, at this stage in his career, wanting to go anywhere. Uprooting the family again and all that. Then again, if it was to a legit cup contender, you never know.

I really hope we see Lander get the rest of the season with the big club. He’s been a good soldier, and his play warrants it.

Klefbom, on the other hand – I don’t think there’s anything to gain by bringing him up to play 3rd pairing, 14 minutes a night. Leave him in OKC, where he’ll get 24 a night, and then a whole summer to build up a body that already has a ton of injury miles on it. Send him to work with Gary Roberts if at all possible.

Other than that, I’ll be happy if the trade deadline passes without any more acquisitions of Eakins’s old Marlies throw-aways.

7. Anonymous says:

LT said:

The main names are Ales Hemsky, Nick Schultz and Ryan Smyth if he wants to go.

This is exactly my assessment too.

8. Anonymous says:

How did I become anonymous?

Anonymous:
    How did I become anonymous?

I don’t know. Did you sign in?

10. spOILer says:

Okay that’s better. Thought I had a way to avoid bosses and bill collectors there for a second.

spOILer:
    Okay that’s better.Thought I had a way to avoid bosses and bill collectors there for a second.

Ha!

12. spOILer says:

Lowetide: <blockquote cite=”comment-294928″>

Totally different log in now. Might be my box; I did install 24 Windows updates earlier.

13. spOILer says:

Quoting seems to act differently too.

15. Clay says:

When I posted above, the login on the site was different – like ON where you just enter your name and email at the bottom. It’s back to “normal” now (WordPress login), but I had no trouble either way…

Clay: When I posted above, the login on the site was different – like ON where you just enter your name and email at the bottom.It’s back to “normal” now (WordPress login), but I had no trouble either way…

17. theres oil in virginia says:

-or-

You’ve managed to revive the caste system. The Brahmans are running the show now.

-or-

You’re secretly blocking DSF again and trying to blame it on gremlins.

Lowetide: Okay thanks. I keep having people say they can’t log in. Maybe it depends on what you’re using (PC, phone, esp)?

My ESP connection is working fine.

18. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia: The way I see it, there are two types of people in this world: those who can log in to Lowetide and post comments and those who can’t.

-or-

You’ve managed to revive the caste system.The Brahmans are running the show now.

-or-

You’re secretly blocking DSF again and trying to blame it on gremlins.

My ESP connection is working fine.

-or-

NOT

19. Henry says:

If Smyth manages to score two PP goals before the deadline, he might be willing to go to a true Cup contemder.

B&P tweeted about a meeting between Hemmer and the braintrust a couple weeks ago. I wonder what was said there. His last contract appeared to have been done after such a meeting. I know it is childish wishful thinking, but I badly want 83 to win a cup in the next three years in Edmonton.

The deadline will be interesting and potentially lucrative for the Oilers this year. Most teams have some shot at a playoff spot and there only seems to be five sure sellers at this point. With the cap contraints on many teams, being willing to take salary back could significantly increase the price in prospects and perhaps picks.

There may be a lot of competition for a limited pool of talent.

20. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Okay, I’ve changed it back. People are having a difficult time logging in, anyone have an idea?

Working just like before now, can quote again… bwahahahahaha!

21. jp says:

Clay:
    Man, I can’t see Ryan Smyth, at this stage in his career, wanting to go anywhere.Uprooting the family again and all that.Then again, if it was to a legit cup contender, you never know.

I really hope we see Lander get the rest of the season with the big club.He’s been a good soldier, and his play warrants it.

Klefbom, on the other hand – I don’t think there’s anything to gain by bringing him up to play 3rd pairing, 14 minutes a night.Leave him in OKC, where he’ll get 24 a night, and then a whole summer to build up a body that already has a ton of injury miles on it.Send him to work with Gary Roberts if at all possible.

Who knows what Smyth is thinking, but he doesn’t need to take the kids out of school and the family with him. It’s only 2-4 months away till the end of the season. It’s not hard to imagine making that sacrifice for what could be his last chance at a cup. It’s obviously up to him though.

I hope we see Lander too. And give him some NHL linemates ffs! We’ll see Klefbom as well, but I bet it’s just a cup of coffee unless he kills it. Give him a taste so he see’s what he’s up against in the NHL then send him back to continue developing.

22. RexLibris says:

My hope is that MacTavish can redeem himself for the Fraser deal – the acquisition and the price – by dealing him away at the deadline for a pick.

Hartikainen may never become an NHL player past 150 games, and sending Abney away for a UFA defenseman is just good business, but keeping Fraser past the deadline means they either couldn’t find a buyer or feel he has value to the team.

If the former, I’m surprised.

If the latter, I’m concerned.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Klefbom get five games or so in the NHL because MacTavish seems to believe that he has a high-value prospect there and wants to take him for a spin. Not my preference, but I don’t make those calls.

What I would dearly love to see is Horak get into some games as a replacement for Jones post-deadline, specifically against Calgary. Perhaps the Oilers could be on the giving end of one of those “former players burns his old team” cliches for once.

I like this player for what he is and I think the team will find his contributions useful.

23. DeadmanWaking says:

I just bumped into this passage on Wikipedia:

Vladimir Nabokov, writing in his Lectures on Russian Literature, gave the following appraisal of Gogol and his most famous story:

“Steady Pushkin, matter-of-fact Tolstoy, restrained Chekhov have all had their moments of irrational insight which simultaneously blurred the sentence and disclosed a secret meaning worth the sudden focal shift. But with Gogol this shifting is the very basis of his art, so that whenever he tried to write in the round hand of literary tradition and to treat rational ideas in a logical way, he lost all trace of talent. When, as in the immortal The Overcoat, he really let himself go and pottered on the brink of his private abyss, he became the greatest artist that Russia has yet produced.”

Somehow with Cult enjoying a spat of national syndication–infinitely well-deserved IMO–and our great sickle-armed nemesis looming on the horizon–if only we can even get there–I don’t think this postscript to my recent rebuttal of Hunter’s dim assessment of Willis is entirely off topic, but then I’m prone to taking an expansive view.

In my recent, late-night Freudmünster pasquinade of Austrian trash talk I did somehow feel I had entered into a passing kinship with this business of pottering over one’s irrational abyss.

For me the inkblot image of Kilroy’s negative nose conjured up a Pacmanesque sperm cell poised nervously at the precipice of some kind of vaginal half-guillotine. It reminded me of EVE whose airfoil humeri hover alongside her DeLorixetelean torso, tethered at the upper-cuffs in some kind of mysterious Faraday bursa-braid, as designed by a distant, interstellar Steve “Balok” Jobs.

The Pacadamsperm’s little jelly-bean sperm fingers were dangling on the other side of the guillotine-blade receptacle cartridge, yet they seemed to me to be safe enough while he gathered up his gumption to have a go.

24. DeadmanWaking says:

Oops. While I was DeLoreanizing “praxitelean” and thinly justifying having trotted out “pasquinade” by making “Pacadamsperm” a near-rhyme to “pachyderm” the voltage sag that ensued in my frontal lobes caused me to conflate two recent posts: I didn’t actually manage to address Willis’s writing style and Freudmünster’s Austrian ambrosia in the same post, as natural as that might sound.

On the positive side of the balance sheet, if I ever write a Science Fiction novel (unlikely) it will most definitely feature an antidepressant with the interstellar trade name “Dolorox”. This kind of jumps out at you in the first Moreauean misweld that comes out “Doloritoxean”. If you’ve ever wondered how writers come up with these strange inventions, this is how it goes: Romeo waxes praxitelean, it gets subsequently mis-DeLoreanized, and then a sharp eye notices how the bastard metal filings have arranged themselves in some kind of nun bun on the floor; these get swept up and saved for a rainy day.

Oh, shit! DoloroX is a real drug. Damn this life/art thing. I guess I’ll need to also invent a bathroom cleaner named LoroX and a tranquilliser named Cluenaziban. Notice how they steroid-pumped the trailing X so as to less remind the eye of Clorox.

DoloroX was formerly known as Xymogen. Wow. Hit me with your best shot. Too much Zymogen depilatory could be why our little hero is hesitating at the brink.

25. Hammers says:

Anonymous:
    LT said:

The main names are Ales Hemsky, Nick Schultz and Ryan Smyth if he wants to go.

This is exactly my assessment too.

Belov if he goes should get us more than Schultz .

26. Hammers says:

I won’t be surprised to see Jones go as well but not sure if anyone will need him . Anything McT can get for these players is OK with me . Hopefully Hemsky resigns next July .

DeadmanWaking:
    Oops.While I was DeLoreanizing “praxitelean” and thinly justifying having trotted out “pasquinade” by making “Pacadamsperm” a near-rhyme to “pachyderm” the voltage sag that ensued in my frontal lobes caused me to conflate two recent posts: I didn’t actually manage to address Willis’s writing style and Freudmünster’s Austrian ambrosia in the same post, as natural as that might sound.

On the positive side of the balance sheet, if I ever write a Science Fiction novel (unlikely) it will most definitely feature an antidepressant with the interstellar trade name “Dolorox”.This kind of jumps out at you in the first Moreauean misweld that comes out “Doloritoxean”. If you’ve ever wondered how writers come up with these strange inventions, this is how it goes: Romeo waxes praxitelean, it gets subsequently mis-DeLoreanized, and then a sharp eye notices how the bastard metal filings have arranged themselves in some kind of nun bun on the floor; these get swept up and saved for a rainy day.

Oh, shit!DoloroX is a real drug. Damn this life/art thing.I guess I’ll need to also invent a bathroom cleaner named LoroX and a tranquilliser named Cluenaziban.Notice how they steroid-pumped the trailing X so as to less remind the eye of Clorox.

DoloroX was formerly known as Xymogen.Wow.Hit me with your best shot.Too much Zymogen depilatory could be why our little hero is hesitating at the brink.

Dolorox. I thought instantly of Clorox (honest), Deloros (from Seinfeld) and this woman

28. Ryan says:

Woa, what happened to the comments section? I don’t see the login option anymore?

Ryan:
    Woa, what happened to the comments section?I don’t see the login option anymore?

People are having a hard time commenting for some reason, so I’ve opened it up. You’re all on your best behaviour?