THE NUGE

It’s so important to remember that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is just getting started. He is a very young man still growing into his role as an NHL player, not yet mature. Nuge doesn’t look like Taylor Hall, who seems to looked more rugged by the hour. Nuge looks like one of my son’s friends—doesn’t get a lot of sunlight, doesn’t say too much, probably really good at video games and saying “I don’t know” a lot.

In the RE series the other day, I wrote

• This is the Nuge’s third season, and he’s recovered nicely from the injury-riddled sophomore campaign. He’s off the pace I projected, for me the reasons are twofold: the power play hasn’t been as good as we thought it would be, and Nuge may not be the offensive player we had hoped for when he was selected. Still miles to go, but his scoring is off projections by 22 points. He may not be a top flight offensive center when all is written.

Let’s test that, shall we? How does Nuge compare to other kids of recent vintage at the same age? Hockey-reference tells us he’s doing just fine. His .74/point-per-game run in his first three years (beginning at 18) shows him in the range with Taylor Hall, Patrice Bergeron, Marian Gaborik and some other brilliant hockey players. He’s in very nice territory. My statement “he may not be a top flight offensive center when all is written” may end up being true, but I don’t believe we can tell from here. When you consider his second season (injury filled, ineffective) then Nuge’s number might be closer to Toews with good health.

Please baby Jesus.

Chicago brought Toews in so wonderfully. Centermen on the Hawks with Toews in his rookie season included Dave Bolland, Yanic Perreault, Robert Lang and Patrick Sharp. Holy hell what a position of strength. I wonder if the Oilers should try to get a real upgrade on Gagner—looking for a Bergeron-Krejci west—and turn a position of weakness into a strength.

TERRY HARPER DESCRIBES DAVE KEONterry harper on keon

Trying to catch a sunbeam in a basket. Heh. An unusual turn of phrase, but Keon was elusive and maddening in the same way as Nugent-Hopkins can be already. I keep thinking on Nuge as a modern Keon—the great Maple Leaf was a complete player though shy of Toews-level offensively—but RNH is his own man and comparisons shouldn’t overwhelm the unwritten script. Nugent-Hopkins may well be Keon’s equal without the puck, and his superior with it—we shall have to wait and see.

77 Responses to "THE NUGE"

1. mumbai max says:

What I love is his increasing ability to lift the stick of the opposing player and instantly head in the other direction with the puck. He seems to do it more often and easily as time passes. I know it is against the unwritten rule to say this, but he looks uncannily like Gretzky doing this!

2. sliderule says:

The Nuge has struggled with the rest of team.

I wonder if the changes in his body as he is reportedly heavier are affecting him.

He has great stamina but Eakins playing him 24 minutes is just stupid and gives diminishing performance.

3. cc says:

Nuge is doing just fine. He’s one of the guys that teams win with. He reminds me of Larionov.

Also, this is great; “Dave Bolland, Yanic Perreault, Robert Lang and Patrick Sharp” at that time none of those players was a prototypical 2nd line center. But every single one of them were excellent third line center and some bordered on being a 2nd line center. This meant that Kane & Toews didn’t have to do the heavy lifting.

This is the reason you go out and get another Boyd Gordon. I wonder where this team would be if Horcoff was still here, but I understand & agree with the reason for moving him. If next years centers were; Nuge-Goc-Gordon-Fiddler we would be a head of the game. They might not produce the offense but you would feel comfortable putting them up against most lines.

Also, I completely forgot about Yanic Perrault. He was a good player a guy that was a borderline 2nd liner, one of the best faceoff men I’ve seen and always underrated.

4. nqmt says:

What impresses me the most is how well he plays in his own end for such a young man

5. sliderule says:

cc,

Tell me what are the reasons you understand and agree with on moving Horcoff?

6. j says:

One ‘fear’ I have is that MacT believes it is too late to fix the errors of previous management and doesn’t attempt to bring in mentors for some of the kids. He may feel Ebs, Nuge and Hall are already past the formative development stages and are now galvanized. I really hope I am wrong as these kids, as you note LT, are just getting started and could use some grizzled guidance. Re: Nuge, he may benefit the most from a true veteran presence with skill. Most hockey fans would agree that strength down the middle is necessary for team success. For Oiler fans, this is no longer just a cliche – we have lived with this weakness for so long that it is a lesson we’ll never forget. Get good centers, keep good centers.

7. franksterra says:

cc,

8. cc says:

sliderule,

First, he’s not worth the cap hit. If he was a 3 – 4 million dollar player it would make sense.
    Second, he needed to move on, the fan base media piled on this guy mainly for having a bad contract.
    Third, but I think most importantly, sometimes you just have to do right by the player. He was tired of being here and needed to move on. MacT found a good fit and by all accounts it seems to be working out for him in Dallas. Sometimes you just have to do whats right for the player …

I also think there’s a chance that’s what McTavish did with Smid. He wanted to stay close and although Calgary might not have given the best offer, ultimately doing right by a player will help in the long run.

I’m from Ottawa and several years ago Muckler signed Hossa then traded him the next day. It took a long time for the Sens to recover from that mistake. Ultimately, I think that’s what lost the Sens, Chara. After that moment, they basically had to no trade clause everyone and now, although Ottawa isn’t the most desirable city they are able to attract free agents like MacArthur. Bobby Ryan seems to like it here and overall they are building a culture here. They were able to recover from the Alfie drama (who was a god here – the sports radio had Church of Alfie) without much backlash. Do you think the Oilers could do that if Taylor Hall came out and said he wanted a trade?

The Oilers have black marks on them as an organization. They need to turn it around, off the ice, before players are going to want to sign here. This is where I feel MacTavish is making the most progress.

9. Doug McLachlan says:

franksterra: cc, My sense is LT is arguing that maybe we reach higher on the Centre tree than another Gordon, that we need a strong 1-2 punch. Stastny?

Agree, a Stastny-Nuge-Gordon-Arco combo up the middle is pretty impressive. Any reason to think Stastny has NOT patched up the differences with the Avs? He has to look at McKinnon and Duchesne and conclude that top line minutes are not there for him so he may be open to signing elsewhere. Would be a great get for MacT.

10. supernova says:

I agree that RNH’s production is off due to the power play. I would like RNH to also play alongside Yak for the final quarter season. Yak is that one shot scorer that can finish and RNH is strong defensively to cover for Yak.

Run them ragged together and let them build chemistry, which can carryover to PP and next season.

Hall can play the other wing or we can throw Perron in there if it isn’t working, Hall seems to be able to produce regardless of who he is playing with.

Yak and RNH together for 20 + games will help next season.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Niinimaa announces his retiirement: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/10/janne-niinimaa-retires-from-hockey/

I was just thinking about him last night!

Romulus’ Apotheosis ‏@RomulusNotNuma 14h
    @Lowetide_ This feels like a lowetide preamble to a post about that time Janne Niinimaa’s was an All Star.

It’s too bad that article give him a shove on the way out the door of pro hockey.

12. cc says:

franksterra,

I agree they would be a better team with Stastny or Legwand. Do you realistically think Statsny & Legwand are not going to sign here? On the open market?

Look if you are Statsny, there are roughly 10 teams that need 1st or 2nd line centers. He would be a first line center on theses teams; Calgary, Florida, Buffalo, Nashville & New Jersey. What makes you think he will sign with the Oilers? Let’s say the Oilers have a chance. At what cost? I think it would be well above 6 million for the Oilers to sign Stastny. If Florida or Nashville are offering 6 million it will probably cost the Oilers 7. It’s just the cost of doing business, you need to grow your team in Edmonton.

Now, last year Stastny was horrible and probably could have been had because he had a high cap hit. Your best option for finding a good 1st/2nd line center for the Oilers, is looking for players who are struggling and try and find a trading partner. Maybe it’s Spezza but what is the cost and will he resign after next year?

13. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well the author didn’t go out of their way to heap praise on Janne, that’s for sure, but that trade was ghastly! Maybe Ribiero was pending UFA, and wasn’t going to re-sign with Mtl?

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

MacT extended Tambo’s problems of putting the Cs in over their head, not giving them enough support and not shooting high enough for depth.

This off-season finding a bona fide top 6 C. A real high-calibre one is essential. Almost as important as a top tier D.

The Avs are a good place to look with Stasny and O’Reilly. Couturier obviously.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Well, writers are certainly under no obligation to sugar coat a players faults. But Janne was a very effective NHL player for a long time. That’s part of the story too, right?

It just seems like unnecessary dickishness to try and make the high-light of his career being part of a crap trade.

16. cc says:

cc:
    franksterra,

Do you realistically think Statsny & Legwand are not going to sign here?On the open market?

Doesn’t make any sense, took to long to fix it. Do you realistically think Stastny will sign here?

Niinimaa hurt his back in his final season here. He shouldn’t have played but he was a real team player and he loved the Oilers. I have it on fairly good authority that he was devastated when Edmonton dealt him away. One of my all-time favorite Oilers.

18. cc says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

I thought that Johansen would have been a good pickup as well last year. Is there any players right now that would fit that description? I am wondering if Grigorenko is a potential candidate to be dealt. Tim Murray stopped drafting Russian’s in Ottawa after losing a couple of prospects to the KHL. What about Burmistrov, I know he signed a two year deal in the KHL but maybe it has an out clause. Adam Henrique or Travis Zajac are guys from NJ that might need a change.

I think the best way of getting that #1 / #2 center is Jordan Eberle.

19. admiralmark says:

Lowetide says: Nuge looks like one of my son’s friends—doesn’t get a lot of sunlight, doesn’t say too much, probably really good at video games and saying “I don’t know” a lot.

I know your comment there was tongue in cheek. But I really feel that Nuge’s intelligence(Hockey IQ) is really an area of strength and as his physical body catches up he will become even more effective as a player. I have no fears that he is going to be a extremely valuable center in the NHL.

20. Ducey says:

sliderule:
    cc,

Tell me what are the reasons you understand and agree with on moving Horcoff?

Horcoff is currently 11th among Dallas forwards in scoring: 16 pts in 57 games. He is not exactly tearing the cover off the ball – even though he is getting PP time (4 of his goals are on the PP). He is 35 and still has another year on that contract.

Arco has 18pts in 41 games.

Keeping Horcoff would have meant he or Gordon would have been 4th C.

MacT did well to get rid of Horcoff. Thoughts to the contrary are after the fact wish casting in light on Gagner’s difficult season.

admiralmark:

Oh yeah, greed. He’s a very smart hockey player.

22. cc says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 8m
    Crosby between Kunitz-Carter, Toews between Sharp-Nash, Getzlaf between JT-Perry, that’s three seemingly defined lines and 5 Fs for 4th.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m
    Remaining forwards are Marleau-Bergeron-St. Louis-Benn-Duchene.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m
    Defence pairs are exactly as were projected: Keith-Weber; Vlasic-Doughty; JBo-Petro; Hamhuis-Subban.

23. justDOit says:

cc,

Bergeron an extra, while Kunitz and Sharp get in the lineup… I’m hoping that changes before any real games are played.

24. Surly says:

I’ve really been impressed with RNH’s shot this year. Seems more willing to shoot and it seems to have a snap/zip to it that I didn’t see prior to this season. Maybe a by-product of strength development and the injuries fully healing.

Shooting % this year is up to 11.5% from 5.1% last year (although down from 13.4% in year 1)

25. cc says:

Ducey,

I think keeping Horcoff would have meant he played LW with Gordon. Or playing him throughout the lineup 2nd – 4th lines with a mix of center and wing.

Kinda how the Stars are using Horcoff which is basically a flex position. Horcoff has played 600 EV Strength minutes but not one forward has played 200+ minutes with him. With the Stars he is 9th in EV strength minutes for forwards and he has 5 players that he’s played 98+ minutes with. This is the type of pickup I hope the Oilers acquire, a guy that can play on the 2nd – 4th lines, play C or W. Play the PP, kill penalties and do this while being paid around 3 million.

A guy that fits that description is John Mitchell. Except Mitchell scores more points / 60 and is younger.

26. gangplank says:

how about Dan Girardi as a shut down defenseman on the top pairing paired with someone like Tom Gilbert?

27. cc says:

justDOit:
    cc,

The 4th line doesn’t seem set, but I assume that Marleau & Bergeron are a big part of the 4th line/1st PK. With St. Louis, Benn & Duchsne fighting for ice time.

28. justDOit says:

cc,

I sure as hockey-sticks hope so. Bergeron doesn’t get enough love for his high end skill, in my opinion, and he’s one of the game’s great shut-down centers.

I think St. Louis wins the Stanley, but it really comes down to who comes out of the west

30. jake70 says:

RNH is something. He is developing some feistiness too. Don’t know if anyone saw it, a little behind the play comming back out of D-zone, just past the blue line vs NJ, was almost out of camera shot, he takes a wicked 2-hander to the Devil player’s calf….I thought for sure poor Nuge was going to get his clock cleaned, but didn’t happen.

PK Subban on that NHL revealed show saying something to the effect of Canada-Russia gold final, in Russia would be something. I got thinking of that, man that would be quite something.

LT said “Please baby Jesus” – Lol, say your prayers. We need at least two of those three #1 overalls to rip up the league for years and years.

31. WeirsBeard says:

Because I read the articles, I’d like to talk about the Nuge.

When has a player been drafted so high due to his mental rather than physical gifts? He is an interesting case. Most of his comparables were either drafted late and then developed or came from the Red Army teams.

Thrilled that he is an Oiler.

WeirsBeard:
    Because I read the articles, I’d like to talk about the Nuge.

Thrilled that he is an Oiler.

I’m so happy there are some people who read the articles. -)

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cc: I thought that Johansen would have been a good pickup as well last year.Is there any players right now that would fit that description?I am wondering if Grigorenko is a potential candidate to be dealt.Tim Murray stopped drafting Russian’s in Ottawa after losing a couple of prospects to the KHL.What about Burmistrov, I know he signed a two year deal in the KHL but maybe it has an out clause.Adam Henrique or Travis Zajac are guys from NJ that might need a change.

I think the best way of getting that #1 / #2 center is Jordan Eberle.

I think before Regier was fired you could have got him.

The decision to send him down IMO wasn’t so much a slap in the face of the player as a realization that Regier was completely incompetent at the end: put players above their weight class then sour on them when they struggle (sound familiar?).

I think he’s there to stay now… unless you wow them.

I also have no idea if he still has enough up-side to become what Stasny, Couturier and RyJo are… I don’t recall him being described as great defensively.

Both the Devils have gotten some play around here and Nelson from NYI. I don’t know enough about the players to say if they can kill it and if they’d be available.

I think if Eberle goes it’s for a D.

34. justDOit says:

35. thejonrmcleod says:

I’m so happy when questions in the comments section are answered. :)

36. icecastles says:

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m so happy there are some people who read the articles. -)

hahaha. sorry.

let’s see… When you look at the two Bos centers I think you get an idea of contemporary RNH comparables. Really strong defensively and very good offensively… but not elite offensively.

Our wingers are going to outscore the Bos wingers probably, so RNH really just needs to keep the house from burning down while the rest of his line races around like crazy.

38. justDOit says:

icecastles,

Can’t say that I’ve never done that. I also sometimes refresh the comments during a game, thinking, ‘where did everyone go?’ Then I realize the ‘newer comments’ link has appeared at the bottom of the page!

39. Pouzar says:

Colin Fraser on waivers has to signal a move post freeze? Maybe?
    LA has 4 million in free cap space now…

40. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: hahaha. sorry.

It’s why I think there are worse things than a defensively sound Lander getting an audition on the 2nd line. That or put him with actual hockey players like Smyth and Hemsky as per LT.

41. The Great One says:

Is see what you did there…sneaking the Horcoff photo into a discussion of Benn and Seguin :)

42. Hammers says:

The biggest problem for RNH was being thrown in as a # 1 center and I said it a few months ago but we needed a Spezza type #1 . Now if Gags had been where we needed him the Nuge would have slotted #2 . At this stage going into next year he stays our #1 C , and we need a #2 & #4 and thats why McT has to take a C as his 1st rd pick or bundle Gags & # 1 to get that #2 center . We have Lander & Arco who can fight fgor the #4 spot or maybe both depending on who your playing . Personally would like Bennet & use Gags for a different need .

franksterra:
    cc,

My sense is LT is arguing that maybe we reach higher on the Centre tree than another Gordon, that we need a strong 1-2 punch.Stastny?

Calgary and Burke will make the high offer for Stastny. Probably $8 million per year. They have the cap room nobody else does. Stastny isn’t coming to Edmonton.

44. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Watching the 2010 draft episode again and how enamoured the Oil were with RyJo makes me think that last Spring they made a real mistake not pushing hard for him while he was on the outs. I wonder if they make an attempt, though I think he’s not going anywhere now.

Yeah, as much as I like Perron, Johanson or Turris would have made a lot more sense as targets to spend Pajaarvi and a 2nd on. Maybe they tried and nothing like that was available.

Still, it made me a little nuts at the time to never hear the Oilers mentioned in rumours when Turris was forcing his way out of the desert.

45. RexLibris says:

godot10: Calgary and Burke will make the high offer for Stastny.Probably $8 million per year.They have the cap room nobody else does.Stastny isn’t coming to Edmonton.

Burke refused to go that high for Brad Richards a few years ago, saying afterwards that he had a reasonable price point in mind and the ask was too much. I don’t see Stastny as any screaming hell of a player compared to Richards, so If Burke, or in this scenario Murray Edwards, really wants to throw that kind of money at him, they are welcome to in my opinion.

46. Derek says:

justDOit: Can’t argue with St. Louis, but I hope the battle for the west doesn’t leave the winner too battered to win Stanley.

For the gajillionth time, I like the Sharks for the Stanley and I am extremely pleased to see no mention of that team from Ontario. Depending on who Anaheim draws in the first round I think there’s a very good chance they take an early exit, especially if its Dallas. The numbers do not love them.

Any interest in a playoff prediction thread before the start of the postseason? It’d be fun to see how the blog regulars stack up against the MSM and of course the proprietor of this here establishment.

47. RexLibris says:

This article is short on theories about how we can clone Nugent-Hopkins.

LT, maybe you can look into that?

;)

Seriously, I don’t own any NHL jerseys, but of the current group of players Nugent-Hopkins’ is the one I would buy. I love everything this young man brings to the table and the only thing better than Nugent-Hopkins as your #1 center is his identical twin playing #2 center.

48. RexLibris says:

Derek: …I am extremely pleased to see no mention of that team from Ontario…

What have you got against the Senators?

49. icecastles says:

RexLibris: What have you got against the Senators?

I think he’s talking about the London Knights.

…or the Blue Jays.

50. cc says:

If you look at the free agents. Who can fill that Bergeron/Krejci role? The real answer is nobody. These type of players do not become available via Free Agency or trade very often. If they do they are typically past their due date; ie – Brad Richards & Chris Drury.

What’s amazing about those two players is they were both 2nd round picks. I was shocked at how well both of those players did 5×5 Pts/60.

Krejci’s 1.953, 2.039, 2.368 (Last three years)
    Bergeron – 1.949, 2.147, 2.335

RNH isn’t in their league yet. 1.589, 1.1 & 1.929.

This off-season there are only 4 centers that I can see that are capable of 1.5+ Pts/60.

Legwand – 1.526, 1.663, 1.432 (Last 3 years)
    Roy – 1.910, 1.696, 1.501
    Stastny – 1.929, 1.1, 1.589
    Grabovski – 1.970, 1.412, 2.127

I doubt that Legwand or Stastny sign with the Oilers. Grabovski is likely to resign with the Caps. I know there’s a lot of people upset we didn’t sign him last year. From everything I’ve heard he wanted to stay in the East. I really doubt he was an option.

The guy I would target is Roy, but he’s 5’9” and I doubt they see him as a realistic option. Outside of this year he’s had tough zone starts and has faced the tough opp so he’d be my target. He could sign a 3 year contract until you develop someone to replace him.

51. Ryan says:

cc,

52. Ryan says:

commonfan14: Yeah, as much as I like Perron, Johanson or Turris would have made a lot more sense as targets to spend Pajaarvi and a 2nd on.Maybe they tried and nothing like that was available.

That’s the thing. As much as I like Perron, good Gord maybe there was a top 4 dman whom we could have obtained the services of for one Magnus PRV and a 2nd round pick.

53. Ryan says:

Ryan:
    cc,

Grabovski was absolutely an option.He was placed on waivers.We could have had him for $5.5m with four years left on his contract this past summer.

Not really the contract you’d like to grab, but last year if we had…

1. Grabbed Grabovski from waivers. :)

2. Sold Samwise at peak value for a 2LW with size or top 4 dman

3. Traded PRV and a 2nd for a top four dman.

4. Not wasted contracts or time on: Ryan Hamilton; Will Acton; Dennis Grebeshkov; Smac; Ryan Jones,

Just imagine.

54. cc says:

Ryan:
    cc,

I stand corrected. You are right. It would have been a good option, to trade for him. I’m sure they could have worked out a trade as well. They probably could have gotten TO to retain some of that salary too.

55. Ducey says:

Ryan:
    cc,

He was on waivers on July 4th and was bought out the same day. Clarkson signed July 5th. MacT was chasing Clarkson and if I recall was in on him until the end.

56. G Money says:

cc: RNH isn’t in their league yet. 1.589, 1.1 & 1.929.

cc: Stastny – 1.929, 1.1, 1.589

Did you get those numbers right?

If so – that is an interestingly strange coincidence, as those numbers are exactly the RNH numbers, but reversed.

57. cc says:

Yeah, I must have messed up RNH’s numbers.

RNH – 1.534, 1.019, 1.954 – Good ol’ dyslexia. Per hockeyanalysis.com still pretty close to the reverse.

58. spoiler says:

icecastles: Hey I just figured out why nobody else is commenting or replying in the OKC thread. Sigh. Time for a second coffee, apparently.

If it comes as any consolation, I was reading your posts. Working, so I can’t watch the game, and thus have nothing to add. Thanks for the updates, though!

59. AZOIL says:

What is your reason for doubting statsny would sign here? Personal preference or Col signs him? I think they are log jammed at center and he might want out to get top 6 minutes when Mackinnon moves up, no?

cc:
    If you look at the free agents.Who can fill that Bergeron/Krejci role?The real answer is nobody.These type of players do not become available via Free Agency or trade very often.If they do they are typically past their due date; ie – Brad Richards & Chris Drury.

What’s amazing about those two players is they were both 2nd round picks.I was shocked at how well both of those players did 5×5 Pts/60.

Krejci’s 1.953, 2.039, 2.368 (Last three years)
    Bergeron – 1.949, 2.147, 2.335

RNH isn’t in their league yet.1.589, 1.1 & 1.929.

Legwand – 1.526, 1.663, 1.432 (Last 3 years)
    Roy – 1.910, 1.696, 1.501
    Stastny – 1.929, 1.1, 1.589
    Grabovski – 1.970, 1.412, 2.127

I doubt that Legwand or Stastny sign with the Oilers.Grabovski is likely to resign with the Caps.I know there’s a lot of people upset we didn’t sign him last year.From everything I’ve heard he wanted to stay in the East.I really doubt he was an option.

The guy I would target is Roy, but he’s 5’9” and I doubt they see him as a realistic option.Outside of this year he’s had tough zone starts and has faced the tough opp so he’d be my target.He could sign a 3 year contract until you develop someone to replace him.

60. gcw_rocks says:

Ryan,

“Grabovski was absolutely an option. He was placed on waivers. We could have had him for $5.5m with four years left on his contract this past summer.”

^ This! 100 times this. Could have had him (albeit a bit pricey) and traded Gagner at his peak for a d-man.

It’s a chess game and our GM only plays checkers.

61. AZOIL says:

I wanted MacT to go after Grabovski too but at the time I do recall a lot of character issues were the reason he was no longer wanted in Tor no?

Sure hindsight is always 20/20! At the time we had Ganger coming off a great season and had the rumblings of Grabovski being difficult or not a team player, not really sure, I can’t remember.

Many on this blog also said not to sign him as he would be a rotten apple in the locker room and not good for the development of the kids etc.

It’s easy being an Armchair GM isn it?

62. VanOil says:

justDOit:
    Cool pic from Nail: http://i.imgur.com/aFRQ9tK.jpg

That guy as a player coach next year with his buddy Hemsky on the third line would make me very happy. It solves all kinds of holes in the Oilers line up.

63. mumbai max says:

64. mumbai max says:

Ryan: That’s the thing.As much as I like Perron, good Gord maybe there was a top 4 dman whom we could have obtained the services of for one Magnus PRV and a 2nd round pick.

Please give MacT a tiny bit of credit. He pulled off a fantastic trade. People want to trash him because he did not pull off a MORE miraculous trade that probably did not exist. Sometimes the guy just deserves some credit.

65. justDOit says:

mumbai max: If you were Stastny, who would you want on your wings, Perron and Eberle, or whichever bums Calgary will be offering up?

66. icecastles says:

spoiler: If it comes as any consolation, I was reading your posts.Working, so I can’t watch the game, and thus have nothing to add.Thanks for the updates, though!

My pleasure. As women’s hockey goes, it was one of the more intense games I’ve seen and I get the sense it will get better as it progresses.

Ironically, I can only see the games *because* I’m at work. Keep the Olympics running on my second monitor all morning. Think my coworkers are confused by my randomly alternating bursts of cheering and Tourettes but thankfully they long ago gave up expecting *normal* behaviour out of me.

67. mumbai max says:

justDOit: If those bums come with more stacks of Robert L. Bordens, then that question is a no-brainer!

Let’s ask Anson Carter.

68. justDOit says:

mumbai max,

Well, maybe – but you can never have enough Borden stacks.

The other thing he might factor, is being on a winning team. Despite being stocked with a bunch of bums, the Flames are still doing better than the Oilers, and Burke has that reputation of building winners, no matter how much deserved.

69. denny33 says:

sliderule,

Sean Horcoff cannot skate at the NHL level anymore….and Dallas has come to the same conclusion.

.At 35, it looks like Dallas is set to move him at the deadline….

70. prairieschooner says:

I read JW s article on OKC and it was a good read.
    Fedun is beyond ready and Kleffbom needs more time.
    Musil is improving and is playing quite well
    Lander is better than Horvak

As we inch towards another key moment in Oilers progress it might be worthwhile to apply a golfers score card to rookie GM Craig mac Tavish
    Feel free to chip in. pun not intended
    The value of the hole is based upon degree of seriousness of the transaction
    e.g Steve Mc Intyre signing is a par 3
    I would gibe MacT a 6 (2 over for the effectiveness and a one stroke penalty for wasting a contract.
    Perron trade might be a par 5 and for me I would give the GM a 3

71. FastOil says:

MacT didn’t manage to fill holes successfully and also acquired things he already had and things he didn’t need. I don’t know if that is actually him, but I don’t see how it can be glossed over. Bodies moved but it seems like we are talking about exactly the same things as last year.

They could have kept Horcoff if MacT or Lowe didn’t take a scunner to him and they didn’t waste money overpaying non or marginal or incomplete NHL’ers. Acquiring a goalie is not hard right now. I can’t see overall improvement in what they’ve done with the roster.

72. cc says:

AZOIL:

AZOIL:

I doubt he resigns in Col. I think the Oilers would have a tough time signing him because, location and demand. He’s easily the best center free agent, it’s not even close. How much do you think it would cost to sign him?

Last year, Detroit signed Weiss for 4.9 x 5 years after coming off an injury. I think the bidding starts @ 5.5. I would sign him for 5.5, but think that’s unrealistic he’d sign here. 6 million, I would definitely consider it. So at what point do you consider Stastny too high? I think he’s worth the phone call, especially if he’s in the right price range. But I don’t see the competitive advantage Edmonton has over other teams. I think New Jersey, Florida & Nashville are teams that would be all over Stastny.

73. teddyturnbuckle says:

I believe Nuge is probably Oiler’s fans most favourite player. I know he is mine by a mile. He may not be as good as Taylor yet but he is almost 2 years younger and he doesn’t give the puck away constantly like Hall. I also believe he should play with Yak for the rest of the year.

74. The Great One says:

mumbai max: Really? You think so? 28 years old, lots of money in the bank, you don’t think quality of line mates and the prospects for the team will be factors? At this point in his career I think he thinks more about those things and less about the difference between 18m over 3 years vs 21 m over 3 years. Wouldn’t you?
    Let’s ask Anson Carter.

Are the prospects for the team any better than Colorado, Columbus, Buffalo or Calgary?

Are there any elite teams looking for a second line centre? Like Chicago?

You have to remember the cap is going to jump next season and even the most cap strapped team at the moment, Chicago, could accommodate Statsny with just a little roster tinkering.