TREBLE KLEF

It’s very important for the Edmonton Oilers to follow the Martin Marincin template with all of these young defensemen. Sign them to a pro deal, have them spend at least one year with Todd Nelson in Oklahoma City, and then bring them to the show.

OSCAR KLEFBOM 2013-14

• Oct-Dec: 27, 0-3-3 -10
  • Jan-Feb: 10, 0-3-3 +2
  • Overall: 37, 0-6-6 -8

I’ve heard and read a lot about Klefbom being a disappointment, but I think we need to remember that he missed last season (for the most part) and there’s a lot of adjustment for him in North America. Jonathan Willis has been supplying us with brilliant updates all season long.

• Todd Nelson: “Absolutely. I thought Oscar tonight was probably the best player on the ice, or one of the best. Last night he was excellent.  You’re always worried about a guy coming back off injury, if he can get back to the level he was at just before he was hurt. He played three good games before he got injured, but tonight he was exceptional. Hopefully that continues and he has that consistency because he was a horse out there. I talked to Gerry and we both agreed ‘let’s put him out there as much as we can, because he’s playing so well and he’s a horse and he can handle it.’”
  • Todd Nelson: “Oscar is a defenseman’s defenseman. He really prides himself on playing good defensive hockey. He skates well. He’s a strong kid. He’s able to move the puck. He’s got a lot of skill. He just needs to play hockey games.”
  • Todd Nelson: “Here in the minors we learn to play defensive hockey, how to play away from the puck, something he does pretty well. He’s a good skater. He can handle the puck. He has all those skills. He has that mindset of playing defense. That’s a big plus. He just needs some experience.”
  • MacT (Nov 14): “I thought Klefbom would be ready to play at NHL level at beginning of the season, I was wrong about that.”
  • Jonathan Willis: Klefbom recorded his first career AHL point with the primary assist on Joel Broda’s second period goal. After the game, Todd Nelson was impressed by his ability to win puck battles along the board and said that’s something Klefbom can bring with him to the next level when he makes the jump. Klefbom also excelled at making breakout passes tonight.
  • Jonathan  Willis: Klefbom has generally played quite well. He skates well, engages physically and moves the puck exceptionally for a defensive defenseman. The problem is that he’s still awfully raw. He doesn’t think the game like an NHL defenseman; he’ll get there but he needs time. How much time? At this point I’d pencil him in for third pairing minutes in the NHL next season and leave him with Todd Nelson for the rest of this year. He’s killing penalties and learning both sides of the ice in Oklahoma; it’s better for him to make those mistakes down here than at the NHL level where it’s going to cost the team and open the player up to high levels of criticism.

The Oilers first round picks that have been devoted to defensemen since the turn of the century (Alex Plante, Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse) is trending in a very good way. Patience is the word. Klefbom needs more time in OKC, the back half of this season should see some excellent growth.

56 Responses to "TREBLE KLEF"

1. Racki says:

~More like Troubled Klef! HA HA HA. Get rid of this bum!~

I’m all for patience here. But really, all I heard was “He really prides himself on playing good defensive hockey”. That’s all I care about in a defenseman. Anything above that is icing on the cake!

2. anonymous says:

With Shultz and Petry still pretty raw and Marincin, Nurse, Klefbom and possibly Ekblad on the horizon, the herd probably will be thinned out.

I think I would probably trade Klefbom. It was Marincin but he’s a keeper now.

3. Younger Oil says:

anonymous:

I think I would probably trade Klefbom. It was Marincin but he’s a keeper now.

Sorry, but why can’t Klefbom be a keeper just like Marincin is now? We’re not exactly in the position to be trading away defencemen, especially ones that are tracking to be solid top 4 defencemen. We need 2 or 3 more Marincins, and a steady stream of them.

I don’t think it’s smart management to trade away prospects before they have played an NHL game. You’re bound to get pennies on the dollar, and lose the trade.

All of Marincin, Schultz, Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat, Simpson, Musil, Fedun, even Petry, and potentially Ekblad need to be developed properly, and then we need to determine who the best 7 are, and keep them, and trade the rest when they are at their highest possible value. That’s what winning teams do.

Smart hockey teams wait until they know what a player is before sending him away. We KNOW what Eberle is, we know what Smid was, we know what Dubnyk was.

Klefbom? I would trade him (or Marincin) in a trade for a real and obvious upgrade. Otherwise, no.

5. anonymous says:

Younger Oil,

I just think its too many rookies grouped tightly together. At a glance it looks like we have the makings of a big, mobile d corps. Need a good vet or two playing higher in the order and this is likely to come in trade. Klefbom would be my pick to go in a package.

6. anonymous says:

Agreed, I see some combination of Gagner/Eberle, klefbom/Marincin and futures going out for a 1/2 D in the near future.

Could also see Jultz or Petry being included, being rfas.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edler. I’d trade them in a package for Edler.

———-
    On waiting until you know… this is also one of the reasons to examine the flip side: when LAK tire of the services of Colten Teubert you should have some sober second thoughts… Same with a player like Despres out of PIT.

Not to say prospects (gems even) aren’t let go for a variety of reasons… but you have to be open to the possibility the other team “knows” and that it is bad.

8. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Not to defend dithers.. I think he was a dumb dumb.. But Teubert was somewhat sold to us under the “he’s lost in the massive D depth shuffle” guise. So I guess Tampa was hoping we could rehabilitate him, Gator style. That said, I sure hope MacT rolls the dice on players a significant amount less than the Oilers have in the past… Less expectation for guys to overperform… A lot more proved reliability and less calculated risk. So really your point has merit and I completely agree. Just playing dipshit’s advocate for a moment.

9. sliderule says:

The oilers don’t know what they have in Klefbom until they bring him up to play in nhl.

Fedun has played well in AHL and when they brought him up for a look you could see he wasn’t strong enough to handle nhl players .He needs to get stronger.

When the oilers brought up Marty I wasn’t expecting much because Nelson’s reports relayed through Willis didn’t sound like he was progressing all that much. His play at the nhl level shows his true ability and taints anything Nelson says about prospects..In credit to Eakins he obviously sees lots he likes in Marty.

Bring Klefbom up and let Eakins and the fans get an idea what he has as a player.

10. Melman says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Edler’s game is a mess right now and he’s signed for another 5 years at $5M. Vancouver HAS to change up their roster (not easy when 1/2 of them have NTCs!), and GIllis is under pressure. Now would be an excellent time to try and do a deal for him

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Melman:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Edler’s game is a mess right now and he’s signed for another 5 years at $5M. Vancouver HAS to change up their roster (not easy when 1/2 of them have NTCs!), and GIllis is under pressure.Now would be an excellent time to try and do a deal for him

That’s an exceedingly reasonable contract for what you are getting.

A lot on all 3 disciplines:

Fine on the corgis:

not exactly the toughs though

he’s a good comparable for Ehrhoff.

12. Melman says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Done. $5×5 is a nice contract for him. and he’s 4 years younger than Ehrhoff. Let’s call Gillis and sort this out for MacT – one less thing on his plate :)

13. The Great One says:

Melman:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

They already have:

Chris Tanev (24)

Ryan Stanton (24)

Frank Corrado (20)

All already have NHL games under their belts.

I think any trade with the Oilers would likely have to include Yak or Eberle and, even then, Edler has a NTC so who knows if he would waive it to go to the Oilers.

14. VanOil says:

I would be happy (but not thrilled) with the following D for next season:

Kulikov-Schultz
    Marincin-Petry
    Ferrence-Kelfbom
    Old-Pro/Belov

I am not sure how you acquire Kulikov but think it can be done (1st round draft trade down + Fedun?)

Kulikov-Schultz may not work out as a good first pair but they have the talent and are of the age where they/we could figure it out next year.

Kelfbom would add size, skating and passing ability to a Ferrence pairing. Ferrence can earn his money as an old pro showing the new guy the ropes in a sheltered role.

This keeps Simpson, Germat, Musil in the AHL and Nurse in the OHL. It would not cost the world or mortgage the future. Neither would it win you the Cup but all I am hoping for next year is not to be in the bottom 10 in the NHL. A little goal tending and injury luck and a playoff birth is possible. California has the top 3 spots in the west locked up this year and next.

15. Melman says:

The Great One,

Everyone in Van has an NTC. While I’m sure they’d take Eberle, they’d have to shed salary elsewhere to take on his extra $1M. Tanev is going to be getting a big raise and they need help down the middle which will cost them $ too. I wouldn’t consider including Yak for Edler whatsoever. In truth, while Edler would be a nice fit I don’t see Van. in any big hurry to trade with Edm.

16. VanOil says:

The Great One: While I agree that Edler is the most likely Canuck to get moved, Vancouver desperately needs scoring wingers not D prospects.

They already have:

Chris Tanev (24)

Ryan Stanton (24)

Frank Corrado (20)

All already have NHL games under their belts.

Gagner for Edler and he takes Kassians job!!! Sweet Sweet Revenge.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

They already have:

Chris Tanev (24)

Ryan Stanton (24)

Frank Corrado (20)

All already have NHL games under their belts.

but I don’t think they’d have trouble taking on an RFA blue chip D like Marincin or Klefbom. None. They wanted Marincin in the Schneids deal. And, you start peeling their older D off and that list doesn’t look so great.

who knows.

At any rate, I’d love to get Edler. Huge, instant, improvement.

If I were Gillis, I’d move Bieksa… oldest of the lot. carries a lot of Don Cherry cred. starting to weaken on the corgis. not as valuable in terms of handling the toughs as Hamhuis.

18. book¡je says:

I disagree with the first part of this. By this logic nobody should sell lottery tickets until they have scratched them. As long as the value returned equals the value sent out a trade is fine. When a trade involves a prospect, the The value should represent the potential of that asset.

19. The Great One says:

Melman:
    The Great One,

Everyone in Van has an NTC.While I’m sure they’d take Eberle, they’d have to shed salary elsewhere to take on his extra $1M.Tanev is going to be getting a big raise and they need help down the middle which will cost them $ too.I wouldn’t consider including Yak for Edler whatsoever.In truth, while Edler would be a nice fit I don’t see Van. in any big hurry to trade with Edm.

Well, they actually have 8 NTC’s which may prove to be Gillis’ undoing unless some of those players ask for a trade.

I think Edler is the most likely to do so but I would think a team like Detroit would be a far likelier destination. And they have wingers like Tatar and Nyqvist that the Canucks might covet.

Tanev is still RFA so I doubt he’ll hit a home run this offseason (especially since he is currently injured).

The Canucks are counting on Bo Horvat to step in at #3C next season so that will solve their centre depth issues if he’s ready.

And, as you say, if Eberle and Yak are not in the equation, I don’t see Vancouver needing anything the Oilers would be willing to offer.

20. anonymous says:

Canucks and Flames are the only teams I wouldn’t trade Eberle to.

21. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: it’s a tough sell for a variety of reasons. Gillis’ in-division tax is another, not to mention it probably poisoned the well with MacT.

who knows.

At any rate, I’d love to get Edler. Huge, instant, improvement.

They need scoring.

22. The Great One says:

Linus Omark awol

Omark to Shremp……he scoooooores!

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Linus Omark awol

There’s still a chance… I know, I know.

but. he could be just enjoying his holiday and saying fuck you to everyone (even his agent it seems).

he could show up in the AHL… kill it for 2 weeks and presto bango… BUF trades everyone at the deadline calls him up to give the fans something to watch.

you never know.

So Klef is excelling at breaking up the cycle and making a good first pass. Needs a bit more time to always make the right first play. (hockey sense)

Let’s count the Oilers who can do this:

1) Petry
    2) Marincin
    3) ………

I’m not saying either is very good at each discipline, just that they can do both.

J.Shultz drips offence and his first pass is better than many seasoned NHLers can make. He doesn’t break up the cycle well though, and hasn’t figured out how to use his body to disrupt plays.

You don’t need to be big to disrupt plays with your body. It takes strength, not size. Often those attributes come in tandem though.

Ference can break up the cycle a bit, and make the first pass sometimes, but doesn’t do either particularly well.

N.Shultz doesn’t make the first pass much at all, and struggles to break up the cycle.

Belov can make a pass and break up the cycle, but puts himself out of position often and doesn’t have quick enough feet to compensate for it. You can tell he wasn’t trained in North America. His instincts are different that what they need to be in the NHL. Not a bad Dman though. Might be re-trainable, but the Oilers don’t have to depth to do that for him. Other teams might, especially PIT.

So yeah, I’m itching to see how Klef does in the NHL.

If he debuts anywhere near Marincin, that’s 3 down and 3 to go.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: He might want to move Bieksa but it would take much more than Marincin or Klefbom to get it done since he would be instantly downgrading his defense, which is not an area of need.

They need scoring.

Sure.

I would hope MacT wouldn’t take Bieksa and push for Edler. Either way, I wasn’t talking there about what the Oil want or would take, but who I’d move if I were Gillis.

At any rate, if/when the Oil move for a top pairing guy like Edler a prospect, even a good one, isn’t going to be enough. Everyone knows this. That’s why you pull LT’s famed 3-1.

26. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: There’s still a chance… I know, I know.

you never know.

But you do know. Pretty much for sure. That’s it for Linus in North America.

27. jp says:

The Great One: Omark to Shremp……he scoooooores!

Youtube to Well-fed, across to Sugartits. Sublime (actually there’s no doubt there would be a load of beautiful plays).

Looks like Wellwood retired before Christmas though.

28. The Great One says:

jp: Ha! You’re likely right. Too bad your boy Wellwood isn’t there anymore to center the line.

Looks like Wellwood retired before Christmas though.

Now that Wellwood has retired, maybe Gagner will join them.:)

29. jp says:

The Great One: Shremp is playing for the Swiss League team ZUG….the same team Omark played for in 2012/13 so it could happen.

Now that Wellwood has retired, maybe Gagner will join them.:)

Yeah, that’s why I laughed. Didn’t initially catch the (potential) Schremp-Omark connection, but got it when I looked up where Schremp was playing these days (last I remember he was sent to the Russian AHL/VHL). Wellwood was also in Zug till he retired in Oct.

Gagner would fit right in, but I think he’s got a few more NHL seasons in him first.
    Though he was Omark’s most common C back in 10-11…

30. The Great One says:

Looks like Detroit may have done it again.

Their 4th round pick, Andreas Athanasiou, (6’2″ 200) just scored 5 goals and 2 assists in Barrie’s 9-2 win over Niagara.

Now with 51GP 40G 39A 79P +20.

Jeebus.

31. icecastles says:

Lowetide: Smart hockey teams wait until they know what a player is before sending him away.

I would amend this slightly:

Smart hockey teams minimize the risk by knowing as much as they can about a player before sending him away.

Colin Powell once said that the time to attack is when you have 50% of all possibly information. Before that, you are guessing. But a common trap is to wait until you have all the information (which in the final analysis is a virtual impossibility anyway); at which point strategic advantage is lost. your information is either outdated or moot, because the enemy has the same intelligence you do.

You win trades by assessing risk, hedging your bets and making sure not to show your full hand. In hockey, this would be something like ‘showcasing’ a player to boost his counting stats and hide his shortcomings (good minutes, O-zone starts, etc).

Good general managers know when they have enough information to take a calculated risk. Bad GMs can’t find this alchemical balance. They either jump too soon, overcommitting with flawed or insufficient data (I think Garth Snow was frequently guilty of this); or wait too long, missing opportunity after opportunity or trading assets for pennies on the dollar. They offload players whose flaws are too widely known and who wise GMs no longer feel are a good risk.

The latter was Tambellini’s fatal flaw: he needed too much information to make trades so was unable to effectively move his own pieces. But because there are other GMs out there who do know how to hedge their bets and hide their hands, he kept ending up with the Belangers of the world (I know tha twas an FA signing and not a trade).

Personally I think the risk/reward on trading J.Schultz right now favours keeping him. At this stage in his career and with his history, we have much less than half of the information about him.

32. spoiler says:

I’ve always found it awfully ironic that the same portion of the Oilogosphere that was skeptical of Schremp has been so supportive of Omark.

33. justDOit says:

Robbie seems to be doing pretty well in Stitserland:

Nr Joueur J B A Pt PIM +/- SoG

26 Reto Suri 46 12 24 36 24 5 143

44 Robert Schremp 38 9 24 33 6 2 128

27 Josh Holden 35 13 19 32 77 1 125

34. spoiler says:

I see the Russian curling team is wearing white belts. If you’re name is Herb Tarlek or Glenn Howard you need to be checking your wardrobe pronto. Before your pants fall down.

spoiler:

36. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Omark had foot speed and some nice things in his rookie season. Schremp never had those things.

spoiler: I agree. I was going to say with the exception of foot speed.I didn’t because the similarities between

38. jake70 says:

Sugar tits and leenus the penis. Enjoy Europe boys..lol.

And Woodguy, you are constantly preaching about D being able to break cycles in D zone……I am so in agreement with this, all day long. Go yell this from a mountain top somewhere.

39. spoiler says:

spoiler: I agree. I was going to say with the exception of foot speed. I didn’t because the similarities betweenthe two, to me anyway for whatever that’s worth, come down to attitude. Not that Hall or Gagner don’t have a whiff of the same eau de toilette; however they don’t seem anywhere near as incorrigible. Or I hope so, in the case of Sam.

Sorry, I know I should worry more about the younger boy but dammit Sam is 25 and still living in the basement. Time to move out! Be an adult! Pay your own way!*

*Admittedly this is based on a 1970s world that existed prior to the dollar losing 75% of it’s value and enough jobs that a gender could join the workforce. Not to mention we had Pong not an Xbox.

40. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I think that’s a great point. I think Gagner will be a better player for his second team.

For sure. He will catch on to what’s up faster than Cleary.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Sorry, I know I should worry more about the younger boy but dammit Sam is 25 and still living in the basement.Time to move out!Be an adult!Pay your own way!*

I think Linus is a much better player.

But, speaking only for myself here, I find the situation the real curio. The whole thing from draft to him abstaining from the AHL on holiday is interesting. drama!

I think a lot of people interpret this kind of interest as “you think Omark is the greatest! you think he’s going to save the Oilers” or something (I’m not saying you are saying this).

I also think Omark gets a bad rep on the character front. I don’t doubt he’s a frustrated player that feels he’s been mishandled. I bet he has a chip on his shoulder.

But, fuck. That kid really, really wanted to play in the NHL. And, he didn’t give up long after most would. He shovelled shit in the AHL for pennies more than once to try and live his dream. If he were from Lloydminster Don Cherry would be singing his praises for that kind of gumption.

42. jp says:

Off topic, but my God Ryan Smyth is having a hell of a season just a week shy of his 38th birthday.

On pace for 72-12-17-29 (82-13-20-33).

Best among 15 forwards (>20GP) with a CorsiRel of +9.0
    6th toughest quality of competition
    35.4% OZone starts (4th fewest)

All from Behind the Net (not updated for last 4 GP): http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f4=C+LW+RW&f5=EDM&f7=10-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

That’s a wonderful season for a 3rd line player any time, let alone one who was written off last year. The man sure looks like he wants to play another year. He’s gotta fall off the cliff sometime, but he’ll have no trouble getting another contract somewhere in the NHL if he wants one.

43. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think Linus is a much better player.

I pretty much said that to LT above, so no argument here–other than I wouldn’t say “much”. But as I also said above, IMO both players suffer from the same disease(s). Both were talented enough to have better careers. And Schremp played for the same pennies as Omark too.

But I don’t blame any of these guys, Hartikainen included, for the choices they are making. It would be real tough to turn down closer to home for more money, less games, and easier opp when you’re a fringe guy. They have to take care of themselves first and from that p.o.v. they’re making the right decisions.

44. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

…If he were from Lloydminster Don Cherry would be singing his praises for that kind of gumption.

I wish he could have had a chance on a decent team, with some quality players. Maybe he will get that chance yet, or maybe he’ll live like a rockstar in Switzerland for a decade. There are worse fates.

45. tsunami says:

Not sure this has been mentioned, but Edler is -23 on the season, by far the worst on the team… I know +/- doesn’t tell the whole story but still a cause for concern for any team who would try to trade for the guy no ?

46. Bank Shot says:

justDOit: Pretty sure the Don thinks that Lloydminster is in Germany, but I get your point. That the two worst teams in the NHL couldn’t use him properly, doesn’t mean he’s a failed player. In Buffalo, he job-shared mostly with Jon Scott – a guy who is only employed in the league because he can tenderize a side of beef with his bare fists. The downside of that situation for O!, is that the fists won. I wish he could have had a chance on a decent team, with some quality players. .

None of the decent teams wanted Omark because they have better players them him in their top 9 forwards.

Omark has proven he can put up some offence playing big minutes on an AHL level team in 2010-2011. Not much different then Ryan Potulny in 09/10.

Since that time, in a reduced NHL role he has produced 5 points in 28 NHL games. That’s about 15 points over 82 games. 4th liner level production. Most established 4th liners bring much more to the table then Omark however. Why play Omark in that role when you can play a Colin Fraser who will also put up 10-15 points, be able to kill penalties, play gritty. and play defence?

47. DeadmanWaking says:

justDOit:
    Lloydminster is in Germany

Not Germany. Freudmünster is a small, ski-trail settlement a little more than halfway up the Austrian ping pong paddle-handle, heading toward Liechtenstein.

***

The paddle of Austria is these days somewhat moth-eaten–more puddle than paddle–having the kind of national outline that reminds one of an unlaundered bedsheet.

As Conan Apfelschauer often croons spooning his morning omelette: “The ambrosia of Austria is always orange.”

***

Amplifying digression in which an Austrian Klaus Kilroy pops through a Malkovich-portal into the Soup Nazi’s left testicle.

***

Colin’s weird joke, just in case people have never heard of Corporal Onan Apfelschauer.

48. jp says:

tsunami:

There’s some goals missing there (presumably 4 on 4, SH and maybe EN – not sure whether EN are included above), but it explains most of his ugly +/-. Looks like a good buy low candidate based on his +/- being far worse than his actual play.

49. tsunami says:

jp,

Thanks for the explanation

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: In this case it’s an issue of bad luck. Corsi and shots are about 50% when he’s on the ice, but his GF% is only 34%. The difference is due to his PDO of 960. If it were average (1000) he’d have a +/- of 0 or -1 rather than -14 in 5 on 5 play (http://www.extraskater.com/players/on-ice?min_gp=25&sit=5v5&team=van&pos=D).

Yea. Edler has been unlucky.

Hell, Burrows (who I couldn’t dislike more) has a league worst PDO… he’s the unluckiest guy in the NHL!

I wouldn’t want Burrows on my team. But Now is the time to buy low on Nucks.

New coach going insane. Unlucky players. Media narratives about great players like Edler showing poorly. And, Van is losing. You have to know Gillis is getting itchy.

The Eastern teams should be calling every day. Maybe Lou.

51. Captain Smarmy says:

justDOit

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Smarmy: Ehhhh this might have more pull if one of the better teams in the NHL stepped up at any point to give the guy a shot. They didn’t, so that has to say something about him.

It doesn’t say much.

Hockey decision-makers routinely demonstrate that arguments from authority–already a fallacy–are especially weak in this regard.

That and as Woodguy has pointed out… everyteam has it’s own fringe prospects that they’d prefer to grant TOI to. Teams often hold on too long and rarely take on another team’s cast offs.

He’s got through the deadline to sort it out, or move back to Europe with his wife and enjoy a wonderful pro career there.

Appealing to the authority of NHL GMs is fool hearty.

There are lots and lots of examples of good players falling through the cracks.

I don’t think Omark is one of them.

Like Rom alluded to, its my take that “soft secondary scoring line” is the exclusive reserve for a team’s own offensive prospects and its almost impossible for players to be brought in to play in that role given the number of prospects that each team has.

Smart teams like CHI and ANA give these tweener prospects 4th line ice time instead of using the 4th as the exclusive domain of “energy guys” and “face punchers”

CHI’s 4th line being a go to line by Quennville last year during the Cup run is well documented here and at other sites. Stalburg Kruger and Frolik may have been kept in the AHL or not used by organizations like EDM in favour of Gazdic, Jones, Acton etc.

This year ANA is doing the same thing and auditioning players such as Bonino, Palmeri, Etem, Belesky, Smith-Pelly, Silfvurberg on their 4th line.

To be sure they still employ a face puncher, but do so sparingly and the other players are generally young up-and-comers.

A great story this year is Bonino.

Started with 4th line ice time, made his way to the powerplay and now takes a semi-regular shift higher in the line up.

6th round pick given a fair chance on the 4th line with some of their 1st rounders and he ate their lunch.

He’s 3rd in scoring for ANA and 1st in 5v4 scoring.

ANA has tabbed him to be their 2C once Koivu retires.

He would have never got a chance in EDM because of how they make up their roster and how higher draft picks get chances not afforded to lesser lights.

Once Goneyay returned, instead of making their 4th line better, they choose to sit and then demote Arco.

Arco would be on the big team’s roster in CHI and ANA, two of the best in the West, but not EDM.

Because Oilers.

54. Bank Shot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Teams often hold on too long and rarely take on another team’s cast offs.

JDD
    Winchester
    Rita
    Semenov
    Salmelainen
    Bodie
    Roy
    JF Jacques
    C.McDonald
    Pouliot
    Schremp
    VandeVelde
    Chorny
    Syvret

The pattern seems to be if one NHL team gives a player a few NHL games, another will give that player a shot as well.

Omark just didn’t impress when given opportunities. His coach in the Swiss league even healthy scratched him in the league finals.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bank Shot: I don’t think that’s true at all. The list of failed Oiler prospects that got a shot somewhere else is a mile long.

JDD
    Winchester
    Rita
    Semenov
    Salmelainen
    Bodie
    Roy
    JF Jacques
    C.McDonald
    Pouliot
    Schremp
    VandeVelde
    Chorny
    Syvret

But the same is true of Omark. Buffalo gave him a shot if you like.

We’re simply mis-communicating.

A team spending nothing (in a trade if there is one) on a cast off, giving them a nothing 2-way deal for a year is different than “taking on” a player.

I meant taking on the player as a serious prospect. Not, a fringe, fringe depth option.