WASN’T BORN TO FOLLOW

The Edmonton Oilers have a plethora of young forwards in the CHL this season trying to make their way through the system to pro hockey. Some have signed their pro contracts (most recently Mitchell Moroz) and others are still in the starting blocks. Here’s a look at the boxcars.

CHL SCORING 2013-14 BY OILER DRAFT PICKS (FORWARDS)

1. Greg Chase (WHL) 55, 29-34-63 1.15
  2. Mitchell Moroz (WHL) 54, 29-24-53 .981 (draft year + 2)
  3. Marco Roy (QMJHL) 26, 7-17-24 .923
  4. Jackson Houck (WHL) 55, 27-15-42 .764
  5. Jujhar Khaira (WHL) 43, 14-18-32 .744 (draft year +2)
  6. Kyle Platzer (OHL) 52, 14-11-25 .481

Interesting numbers here. We don’t have TOI and we can’t factor in how much offense Kevin Konstantine’s system costs Jujhar Khaira. We know Kyle Platzer’s offense has increased since he was traded to Owen Sound, but we can’t factor that either. That said, the boxcars do indicate nice seasons for Chase and Moroz, with Roy doing well before injury and less so since returning.

CHL EV SCORING 2013-14 BY OILER DRAFT PICKS (FORWARDS)

1. Mitchell Moroz (WHL) 54, 23-21-44 .815 (draft year +2)
  2. Greg Chase (WHL) 55, 21-22-43 .782
  3. Jackson Houck (WHL) 55, 23-10-33 .600
  4. Marco Roy (QMJHL) 26, 3-12-15 .577
  5. Jujhar Khaira (WHL) 43, 8-11-19 .442 (draft year +2)
  6. Kyle Platzer (OHL) 52, 8-9-17 .327

This is just even-strength points. Interesting that Chase continues to show so well,  and that Moroz isn’t getting a lot of his offense from the power play even as a senior. Roy lost a lot of offense to that injury, I’ll be interested in seeing where he ranks at the end of the year. Houck hasn’t received a lot of attention, but is one of three players on this list to have score more than 20 EV goals. Impressive.

NHLE FOR CHL FORWARDS (OILER DRAFT PICKS) USING VOLLMAN METHOD (per 82gp)

1. Greg Chase 13-15-28
  2. Mitchell Moroz 13-11-24
  3. Marco Roy 7-15-22
  4. Jackson Houck 12-7-19
  5. Jujhar Khaira 8-10-18
  6. Kyle Platzer 7-5-12

Chase is the class of the forward group. He was a late pick, but that and $1.50 will get you a small double double. Chase is more productive than Roy offensively, is slightly ahead of Moroz and doing it a year younger (and that’s a big deal) and is NOT pumping his numbers with Rob Schremp sugartits minutes on the PP.

With due respect to Bogdan Yakimov, Greg Chase wasn’t born to follow. He’s the best forward prospect in the system. Now.

34 Responses to "WASN’T BORN TO FOLLOW"

Another article about the trade deadline, involving two Oilers

2. RexLibris says:

Interesting on Cammalleri there in your article, LT.

I’ve offered up the opinion on FN that it wouldn’t be a waste for either he or Burke to look at a one-year extension. Gives both sides time to search for a better long-term fit as Cammalleri can sign the following off-season when the cap is likely to increase again and the new Flames GM will have more time to explore market options.

It also provides veteran support for the Flames, something the Oilers did without during their initial rebuild years.

3. thejonrmcleod says:

I think this is well known, but…

When Stu MacGregor was interviewed during a Halifax Mooseheads radio show, he said that more overage players would be drafted this year because of the weak draft.

An overager on the Mooseheads that will get drafted is defenseman Matt Murphy.

4. Ryan says:

Another article about the trade deadline, involving two Oilers

I’ll be rofl’ing if the Panthers get a first round pick for Gilbert.

Seriously though, why did Mact pick Grebeshkov over Gilbert? Granted Grebs is a left shot….

5. Ryan says:

Oh and lots of people are picking up on the verbal about Gagner wanting a trade.

6. JonyPro says:

Ryan,

Has he said as much?

Gilbert is having a very good season. I think the Panthers may sign him, but if they don’t there’s going to be a long line of teams after him. I’d rather see my team deal for Gilbert than andrew MacDonald.

8. Jasmine says:

Ryan,
    Because Gilbert was run out of town by Oilers fans and wouldn’t sign in Edmonton.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kharia has been a huge disappointment this year.

I know there was some division swap in the colleges down there, but I wonder if just staying in college would have been a better route. It certainly would have given him more time to develop.

Guys like him and Pitlick probably benefit from the long college road over this rush job to try and get into the NHL.

Houck is an interesting guy. Bit of an asshole apparently (on the ice).

Platzer with London:
    39 9-8-17 .43589
    with OS:
    12 5-3-8 .666

Aside from the evil omen… it seems pretty clear he’s scoring a lot more now with more TOI (we can assume).

I have a soft spot for these long shots (Chase is already clear of that). Two guys I’m pretty interested in (aside from Houck and Platzer) are Betker and Muir.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

You team will deal for MacDonald long before they do for Gilbert.

hell, if Gilbert didn’t exist they might deal for MacDonald.

11. sliderule says:

These second ,third and later picks that are duds you have to blame overall management.

Platzer you have to hang on the not so magnificent and Mact who were at memorial cup and saw him first hand.This guy was a sixth or seventh rounder at best.

The western scouts have been blowing smoke for years with Kessy (a trade because we loved him at draft) and player like Campbell wtf was that pick.

The OHL scouts (Rieder ) and European scouts (Marincin and Gernat )have been great.

Stu the not so should be fired and hire the best head scout management guy they can find.

There now I feel better.

12. sumaclab says:

Said it once and will say it again. Greg Chase and Nurse were the Oilers 2 best picks in last years draft.Chase and Nurse both bring an edge to their game that the other draft pick do not have.I see Chase and Moroz both as energy guys on the 4th line in 2 years. Both have great potential. KHAIRA needs to be in OKC sooner than later.

Lowetide would Hemsky and a prospect like Gernat get you Henrik Samuelson? Hemsky alone is not enough I would think.

13. justDOit says:

Just watched most of Switzerland v Latvia – a surprisingly good game. I can see the Swiss causing some real problems in the tournament, and Latvia plays a hard game. Ozolinsh basically carried the Latvians, and at 41, looks like a better bet than defenders like Grebs or Fraser.

And it’s hard not to like a team with players named Pavlovs and Daugavins, although #12 for the Swiss makes a good case too.

14. Younger Oil says:

Who knows, maybe Maloney will feel bad for robbing us in the Reider trade and will do Samuelsson for Hemsky straight across! He would be such a great add to the team.

I wouldn’t trade Gernat until we know what we have though. Many have been describing him as Marincin but one year behind (though I’m sure the root of that comparison is because they are both 6’5” Slovakians), but still, Gernat could be a great add to the blue line a couple years from now, especially if he can put on 20 pounds.

15. Younger Oil says:

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but what are the odds that one of Gernat/Klefbom/Marincin/Nurse could be slowly converted to play comfortably on the right side without a drop off in play?

I’m just a strong believer that all 4 of these will turn out to be real NHL players, and it would be a shame if we lost any of them.

The worst case scenario for me is one of Gernat/Marincin/Klefbom being used as a throw in on a trade and then flourishing into a great top 4 defender. At least let them reach their potential to maximize their value in any trade.

16. delooper says:

How do Moroz and Kharia’s numbers compare to previous Oilers’ coke machines at the same level. Is it just me or does Moroz perhaps look like the best coke machine the Oilers have drafted in some time?

17. frjohnk says:

So is Chase tracking to be a mid 6 winger while Moroz is tracking to be a bottom 6 winger ala Clifford?

18. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil:

I’m pretty sure that when both Marincin and Gernat played at the WJ in 2011 they were paired together…the “twin towers” seems to ring a bell…anywho….I think it was Gernat that played the right side.

Not sure how that translates into 2014, but there you go.

19. delooper says:

Moroz and Kharia maybe only compare to JFJ and Winchester? They both had good numbers at a similar age but it’s not clear to me how you compare the CHL to the QMJHL.

delooper:
    How do Moroz and Kharia’s numbers compare to previous Oilers’ coke machines at the same level.Is it just me or does Moroz perhaps look like the best coke machine the Oilers have drafted in some time?

Jacques had an outstanding season at 19. He had significant injury troubles (back) but he did not have the offense for the top 6F. I think he’s an excellent comp for Moroz—the caveat being that imo Moroz is superior at things like taking and making a pass.

frjohnk:

Yes. I’d say Chase will play with skill when he gets here.

22. Numenius says:

delooper:

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius: Am I missing some weird inside joke that has so many people writing “Kharia” instead of “Khaira”?

thanks for pointing that out.

I have no idea how I’ve inverted the letter. well, other than: sight reading.

24. Lucinius says:

Watching the U.S.A/Slovakia game and wow.. Marincin, who’s been on for a number of the goals against, has to be having nightmares. Slovakian forwards are even worse than Oiler forwards at back-checking and covering their man.

Stat-sheet wise Marincin will likely look pretty bad, but all the goals I saw.. he had his man/assignment and it was simply either a great shot, his partner, or the horrific defensive play from his forwards that cause the goals against.

25. Captain Smarmy says:

He’d look great on a line with Tyler Sequin and Sam Gagne

26. Captain Smarmy says:

Belov scored on a bomb. Where has that been this year?

27. speeds says:

Nurse looks like a good prospect, but Nichushkin would be a pretty decent addition to EDM’s lineup.

28. Logan91 says:

Captain Smarmy:
    Belov scored on a bomb. Where has that been this year?

Belov played so well, he looks so much more comfortable on the bigger ice.

29. Ca$h-Money! says:

speeds,

True, but Nurse is progressing about as well as can be reasonably expected, Picking D early is always risky, but there were big question marks about the big Russian as well. Hard to be upset about Nurse to date. Given his numbers, coupled with reports, his pedigree, and his work ethic, it’s a pretty reasonable assumption that he will turn into something valuable.

30. jake70 says:

Logan91: Belov played so well, he looks so much more comfortable on the bigger ice.

The hockey player’s holy grail – more space and time. ;-)

31. Truth says:

Lucinius:

On top of that I think Marincin did pretty well with the puck. Had a nice rush and scoring chance towards the end of the second as well. Didn’t get to watch all of the third, however.

32. Pouzar says:

Little early to gauge Nish vs Nurse. If their potentials are reached I will happy with the mean, dominate top pairing D man. Plus we already have Moroz. :)

33. Fauntleroy says:

Too bad about Gilbert. I always liked him as a player, and was disappointed but not surprised when Tambellini made that boneheaded trade. To me, it was an event that really epitomized the Tambellini era: a move that did nothing to address the Oilers needs, that Tambo could not articulate at all. It’s also on MacTavish that Gilbert wasn’t brought back as a free agent for a song prior to the start of the season, which could really have helped the D depth.

Anyway, if Gilbert isn’t playing for the Oilers I’m at least glad he’s still in the league and having success.