EXITING THE SYSTEM?

I’ve been talking 3-for-1 trade ever since the world began. It makes sense to me that the pieces Edmonton needs now (basically 1D, 2C, 3L, 3R, G) will come via trade and free agency—it’s unlikely the problem gets solved for next year from the farm system/draft.

The key is to look for prospects with duplicate skills. If the Oilers are trying to pry a #1 NHL defenseman away from another team, the ask might be an established NHL defenseman (Petry) and a top-flight prospect, plus maybe a pick. What would the Canucks want for Edler?

1. D Oscar Klefbom: You have to give to get, and based on all reports Klefbom has improved during the season. MacT might be trading 15 years of solid defense by sending him away, but the immediate need warrants drastic action.
  2. D Dillon Simpson: The young defender is developing very well and certainly has value. The things holding him back previously (foot speed, strength) have been solved through hard work and maturing. Simpson has value to the Oilers, but with LH’s Nurse, Marincin and Klefbom ahead of him Simpson might be available.
  3. D Martin Gernat: The same argument applies. Gernat can reasonably be considered to have the fifth best future among developing left handed defensemen, I’d rate him behind Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Simpson. It’s unlikely that all five develop, but Edmonton can certainly afford to send one away. Gernat has played well in Oklahoma City, but I don’t think it’s clearly established that he’s more NHL ready than Simpson.
  4. D Taylor Fedun: The older man of this group, Fedun has done everything he can to establish himself as a bona fide NHL prospect. A team looking for immediate plug-and-play help might feel Fedun can fill that role.

I don’t think it’s possible for all of Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, Simpson and Gernat to play as Oilers long term. The Oilers don’t have to make a move, they can bring these kids up in an orderly fashion—stack ‘em and rack ‘em—but there’s a very real chance one of them is going in a trade.

As early as the deadline or the draft.

(Gernat photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved)

71 Responses to "EXITING THE SYSTEM?"

1. Esa10 says:

Trades are so hard to predict and my track record is laughable, so I won’t try.

Question: what does this blog think about the following players who are free agents:

Kyle Quincy
    Dan girardi
    Dave bolland
    Daniel Winnik

Thanks in advance.

2. speeds says:

I was wondering about something around Klefbom for Kulikov. FLA might not be interested in paying him, he’s two years from UFA status, so you can make an argument against acquiring him if you’re EDM unless you can get him signed longer term along with a trade.

I’m always disinclined to look at that sort of trade because the prospect has so many more potential years at a cheaper price, but it depends how badly EDM wants to improve this summer, along with all the normal trade questions.

speeds:
    I was wondering about something around Klefbom for Kulikov.FLA might not be interested in paying him, he’s two years from UFA status, so you can make an argument against acquiring him if you’re EDM unless you can get him signed longer term along with a trade.

An interesting solution. It’s a good idea because they are improving and yet Kulikov is young enough to deliver for many seasons. As you say, signing Kulikov long term would be a central issue.

4. misfit says:

Esa10,

Those 4 players, particularly the latter 3 would be ideal for just about every remaining hole on the team (would need a goalie).

Unfortunately, I think they have Henrdicks pencilled into the 3LW spot for the next few years, so Winnik probably isn’t in their plans. Bolland likely stays in TO, and Girardi will get the contract he wants from a more desirable team, so Quincy is probably the only one we have a shot at.

Esa10:
    Trades are so hard to predict and my track record is laughable, so I won’t try.

Kyle Quincy
    Dan girardi
    Dave bolland
    Daniel Winnik

Thanks in advance.

That’s a nice set. Add those four to Jonas Hiller and we’re flying!

6. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: That’s a nice set. Add those four to Jonas Hiller and we’re flying!

LT, the salary cap was brought in to stop the ‘haves’ always winning over the ‘have-nots’ by buying their way to success. Do you happen to know the rules with retaining salary? Wouldn’t this potentially ham-string the team? And if not, can a richer team sign players to overpaid contracts and then trade them to get what they want and it not matter?

7. The Great One says:

oliveoilers,

There are four golden rules that apply to retaining salary:

1. Teams can only have three contracts on the books where they’ve retained salary in a trade

2. Teams can keep only up to 15 per cent of the salary cap in a given year, meaning they would max out at $9.645-million under the $64.3-million cap that’s likely to be in place in 2013-14 and 2014-15

3. Only 50 per cent of a contract can be kept

4. A contract can only be traded in one of these deals twice

8. oliveoilers says:

The Great One:
    oliveoilers,

There are four golden rules that apply to retaining salary:

3. Only 50 per cent of a contract can be kept

4. A contract can only be traded in one of these deals twice

Thanks! I guess my next question is: Is it in our interests to trade Gagner and retain salary from a financial viewpoint? That’s paying money for a guy that doesn’t turn a wheel for us and could well be putting points on us. I rather put him in the minors. Money we could use to overpay the next flavour of the month.

9. Sliderule says:

You watch Marinicin and Belov playing with forwards that back check and mark a man in defensive zone and you wonder if the problem with our defence is just as much up front as on back end.

If the oilers are leaking goals because of defensive play then you could sell the farm to bring in Weber (minus10 I might add) and find out with our team he could be a minus 20.

Eakins at least has identified and tried to address the forwards lack of attention to defence.

Mact sees that the oiler defenders as a group are too small and has tried to add size in Foster so they can break the cycle.Its a stopgap and I am sure he is looking for a Coburn type.

The oilers have assembled a number of defence prospects and other than Marincin no one is sure how much they have.Until they know they would be foolish to move one of them in a package for a defender that may be exposed by oiler team defence.

10. flyfish1168 says:

Don’t get me wrong. Alex Edler is a good d-men and would be one of the best on our team if we did acquire him. But is he worth our best d-man, top prospect and a draft. Is his ceiling that much higher than Petry?

I believe 4 coaches in 5 years has hurt many players on our team, this includes Petry. Edler has had the luxury of playing under Alain Vigneault for most of his career and I believe Vigeault is better than our last 5 coaches. Edler with a new coach this year is a -23 on a team that is a -14. Edler plays with many players who I consider that would make him look better also. Petry has been handicapped by his own team and system.This trade would be like getting 95 cents back to our $2.25. So NO deal please

flyfish1168:

I believe 4 coaches in 5 years has hurt many players on our team, this includes Petry. Edler has had the luxury of playing under Alain Vigneault for most of his career and I believe Vigeault is better than our last 5 coaches. Edler with a new coach this year is a -23 on a team that is a -14. Edler plays with many players who I consider that would make him look better also. Petry has been handicapped by his own team and system.This trade would be likegetting 95 cents back to our$2.25. So NO deal please

I was using that as an example. One would hope the Oilers could get Edler without including Petry, but I wanted to frame the issue a certain way.

12. russ99 says:

Sliderule:

Yep.

This is why the bottom six needs major changes. IMO, Gordon (3rd line) and Hendricks (4th line) are the only keepers. Along with the remaining spots, at least one top 6 needs to be swapped out for players who can play both ends of the rink.

A few better defensemen would go a long way too.

13. flyfish1168 says:

Sorry LT. You had me worried.

14. oliveoilers says:

Sliderule:

If the oilers are leaking goals because of defensive play then you could sell the farm to bring in Weber (minus10 I might add) and find out with our teamhe could be a minus 20.

Eakins at least has identified and tried to address the forwardslack of attention to defence.

Mact sees that the oiler defenders as a group are too small and has tried to add sizein Foster so they can break the cycle.Its a stopgap and I am sure he is looking for a Coburn type.

This can answered without stats, and by the good ol’ mark one eyeball! Watch a struggling team other than the Oilers. Say, Florida. Now, you follow Hockey, probably enough that when you watch a game, if something isn’t quite right, you notice, even if you can’t explain why at the time. How many WTF and head scratcher plays/decisions does FLAs D make? Not many. They’re just on a poor team. The Oilers have one consistent D-man: Marincin. Rarely have I seen him make a poor decision and the one time I did think WTF is he doing, he had a broken skate. The rest seem to be playing with a hand grenade with the pin pulled. Petry is infuriating as he IS capable of making plays, but also self-destructing, often on the same shift. J.Schultz seems to be getting it, finally. And then there’s the rest. The best I can say about them, really. MacT did comment on “the best some of them are is a non-factor.” I would love for some of our D to be non-factors. So, we need to at least cut these mistakes out before we then fix the forwards. Granted, some of them need a boot up the arse.

15. The Great One says:

Speaking of exiting the system….

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 24m

16. frjohnk says:

Looking at the top 30 D men in the league and I see few moving from their respective teams.

Any team that has a number 1 defence man is not dealing them unless defence is a position of strength for that team, ie Phoenix, the player is soon to be a UFA and wont resign with that team, ie Giradi, or the team and player do not see eye to eye ie Subban and Montreal?

Oilers would definitely have to pay big bucks for a UFA number 1, or put some big assets ( Eberle++)on the table to obtain a Subban

Oilers best chance of obtaining a number 1 defence man is developing the ones already in the system. Nurse, Marincin, this years first rounder ( Ekblad?) could become the number 1 D man the oilers need. Unfortunately, that requires more patience on an already patient thin fan base.

Mac T has a tough job

17. Brazilianoil says:

Works?

18. Ryan says:

Esa10:
    Trades are so hard to predict and my track record is laughable, so I won’t try.

Kyle Quincy
    Dan girardi
    Dave bolland
    Daniel Winnik

Thanks in advance.

Girardi’s top pairing in New York, no?

I remember recently googling him after Gadzook took a run at him and got the worst of it. I was surprised that he’s ‘only’ 6’1 203 lbs since he looks so solid.

Girardi would be a huge upgrade over Petry, but I don’t see him coming here unless we backed up the brinks truck. even then. 29 year old dmen from the EC don’t typically head west to join a bottom feeder unless they’re past due and getting a retirement contract.

19. ducey says:

Speaking of exiting. It looks like the Linus is exiting from the NHL. No one will even spend $125 on him:

TSNBobMcKenzie: BUF has Linus Omark on unconditional ($125) waivers, presumably for mutual agreement to terminate his NHL contract.

TSNBobMcKenzie: BTW, Omark had been assigned by BUF to Rochester (AHL) but he had refused to report. Unconditional waivers is a solid no-fault divorce.

Edit: I see I essentially copied The Great ones earlier post

20. Ryan says:

Esa10:
    Trades are so hard to predict and my track record is laughable, so I won’t try.

Kyle Quincy
    Dan girardi
    Dave bolland
    Daniel Winnik

Thanks in advance.

Derek Zona’s been banging on the Daniel Winnik drum for years now.

NHL numbers likes hime too: http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/10/30/under-appreciated-players-daniel-winnik-puck-possession-forward

Ryan: Derek Zona’s been banging on the Daniel Winnik drum for years now.

NHL numbers likes hime too:http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/10/30/under-appreciated-players-daniel-winnik-puck-possession-forward

We’ve ALL been on the Winnik train for a long time. :-)

22. Ryan says:

Esa10:
    Trades are so hard to predict and my track record is laughable, so I won’t try.

Kyle Quincy
    Dan girardi
    Dave bolland
    Daniel Winnik

Thanks in advance.

Quincy’s playing top four minutes in Detroit. He’s 28 and a left shot. He’s floating a CF over 50%. What’s not to like?

23. Anonymous says:

Would love to see a 3 for 1. Hopefully sooner rather than later. If they are going to stick to their guns with continuity of coaching then the sooner the pieces are together the better. Don’t want to find out next year at this time that it’s not going to work out with Eakins.

24. Nelson88 says:

Too bad Vancouver does not make a great trade partner as a deal for Edler makes a tonne of sense.

Not a classic #1 but a definite upgrade who plays substantial minutes, has a strong shot from the point (which the PP is seriously lacking, why they don’t give Belov an extended audition is beyond me) and he won’t cost as much to acquire as an OEL, Weber etc.

I would definitely be willing to trade Gagner and Klefbom/Gernat/Musil if Vancouver were willing to trade within the division and Edler was willing to waive his NTC. I would not trade a top 3 pick or Nurse.

25. gcw_rocks says:

LT – Why would you rate Simpson over Gernat at this time? Gernat is coming along nicely in a tougher league. Yes, there is some chaos in his game, but he also has more offence than Simpson, and would seem to have more offence at even strength as well.

26. Ryan says:

Esa10:
    Trades are so hard to predict and my track record is laughable, so I won’t try.

Kyle Quincy
    Dan girardi
    Dave bolland
    Daniel Winnik

Thanks in advance.

In short, I’d take them all except Bolland. Sure you could pretend that Bolland will be your 3c and we’ll pay Gordon $3m to center the fourth line, but that’s not going to work with the cap.

Eberle return–Girardi
    Quincy-Petry
    Ference–J Schultz

We can dream, but that would be a better than what we have this year.

Nuge–Hall–Yakupov
    2c? –Perron–2 RW
    Gordon–3 LW–Winnik

27. Tarkus says:

I got to meet MacT this morning–he and Billy Moores are in Swift Current to scout the Broncos-PA game this afternoon. They were having breakfast across from us, and we chatted about the Oilers (amongst other things). MacT was gracious enough to let me have a photo with him. Class acts both.

28. Henry says:

Ryan: Quincy’s playing top four minutes in Detroit.He’s 28 and a left shot.He’s floating a CF over 50%.What’s not to like?

For such a young guy and apparently a good player, he sure has been traded a lot. Speculation, but maybe there is something not to like.

29. Ryan says:

Henry: For such a young guy and apparently a good player, he sure has been traded a lot.Speculation, but maybe there is something not to like.

Well, the did make it full circle back to Detroit.

That and our LD depth chart is laughable :)

30. Ryan says:

Lowetide: We’ve ALL been on the Winnik train for a long time.

Okay, credit where credit’s due. :)

31. Anonymous says:

An I the only one not logging on normally?

32. Ryan says:

Anonymous:
    An I the only one not logging on normally?

I just guessed the link: http://lowetide.ca/blog/wp-login.php

33. anonymous says:

Ryan,

Thanks.

do you want to go back to old? People can’t log in apparently.

35. jake70 says:

Targeting that Swiss goalie is ok, but geez, wonder if the ladies goalie Schelling should be the one :-) Stellar game vs. Canada today.

36. jake70 says:

I just posted a minute ago, but I don’t think I am “logged in”. I can’t use the quote function.

37. frjohnk says:

Tarkus,

Must be scouting Draisatl.

38. 8p0intgame says:

Good morning!

So, I played “NHL 14″ at my buddy’s place last night and, I have to say, it is extraordinarily difficult to make trades in that game. I couldn’t get the artificially intelligent General Managers to take players with high overall talent scores or trade value in the game, like Taylor Hall, if they didn’t meet their team’s needs or put them to close to the salary cap. At one point, I tried to sell Hall for two mid to late first round draft picks, a second round pick and a third round pick (which worked out to be about equal in trade value in the game) to free up cap space and the game responded with, and I am paraphrasing here, “We have something called ‘needs,’ which you obviously didn’t look at. The trade you’re proposing isn’t fair value unless you’re offering us something extraordinary so we’ll have to reject your offer.” A 1.11 PPG player wasn’t worth the 12th, 30th, 60th and 90th overall picks. Saying a bad trade proposal is NHL ’14 logic is almost disrespectful to EA Sports’ work.

39. the tikk says:

testingtesting

EDIT: I’ve managed to hack my way into the system, by entering my ‘username’ and ‘email’. I won’t bore you with the technical genius hacker details.

40. ducey says:

I can’t log in, but can post. I can’t quote or reply.

41. delooper says:

For Petry + good prospects I’d hope to get a CFP back signed to a reasonable contract. Petry is really under-valued.

42. Nelson88 says:

Henry

Too be fair his first move to LA was not a trade but rather a waiver claim. The downside; and there aren’t many, of the “Red Wings” model of letting their prospects ripen in the AHlL is the potential for poaching. The Red Wings obvioulsy like him given what they offered to get him back. Would like to sign him but is there any reason he wouldn’t re up with the Red Wings?

43. rickithebear says:

Ran into Mike Valley at Kali River Rapids Animal Kingdom in Orlando.
    He and Horcoff brought tthier family to Disney.
    Teamates with Cjilliwack.

I Mentioned money puck
    Then Lowetide
    Said he knew of Mitchell and McCurdy.

He laughed Dallas Detroit North.

Nill and Ruff huge Stats guys.
    They read Defending The D.
    Mike and Ruff understand the need to go beyond moment in time stasts
    Look ing at what gets them to those points.

At that point i mentioned my thoughts from release of puck.
    Said they are keen on ideas.
    Asked me to send them the info.
    Not sure how long the overall package will take.

At that point his wife walked up and obviously heard us talking hockey stats.
    She Said, You guys are like Magnets.
    It was that wife tone.

Right then My wife and kids were passing the bridge and sprayed them with water gun.

44. admiralmark says:

I agree they are going to have to give to get. However, Edler is only a slight upgrade on Petry. i see them both much the same. Long periods of looking proficient, followed by long periods of ineptitude. And they BOTH need a genuine 1st pair D to match with them to look good. So I just dont think trading Petry to get only Edler solves much of anything especially when its expected you give up 1 or 2 more highly rated prospects.

45. marty mcscorely says:

would we not be wise to see how these prospects develop before we ship them out? i can’t imagine there value is that high at present.

46. Tarkus says:

FRJOHNK,

Also noteworthy for scouting purposes are Julius Honka and Brycen Martin, two Broncos D-men that could go in the first round too. MacT also mentioned checking out Brett Lernout, a 6’4″ RH D-man who also plays for Swift.

47. oliveoilers says:

rickithebear:
    Ran into Mike Valley at Kali River Rapids Animal Kingdom in Orlando.
    He and Horcoff brought tthier family to Disney.
    Teamates with Cjilliwack.

I Mentioned money puck
    ThenLowetide
    Said he knew of Mitchell and McCurdy.

He laughed Dallas Detroit North.

Nill and Ruff huge Stats guys.
    They read Defending The D.
    Mike and Ruff understand the need to go beyond moment in time stasts
    Look ing at what gets them to those points.

At that point i mentioned my thoughts from release of puck.
    Said they are keen on ideas.
    Asked me to send them the info.
    Not sure how long the overall package will take.

At that point his wife walked up and obviously heard us talking hockey stats.
    She Said, You guys are like Magnets.
    It was that wife tone.

Listening to encore Oilersnow as I was hauling water, and a pre-game interview with Doug Wilson came on. Bob asked him: “Do you guys use advanced stats?” Wilson replied “absolutely”. Bob then said “like Corsi and Fenwick?” To which Doug replied, “we look at our own stats.”

This confirms what Howson said in an intermission interview not so long ago: “We haven’t really decided what constitutes a helpful stat at the moment. Take shot blocking; it’s generally agreed that shot blocking is good, but there’s an argument that if you’re blocking shots, then you don’t have possession in your own zone and are allowing shots.”

It seems that the GMs are on-board with stats, but have their own take on it.

48. jonrmcleod says:

“That’s a nice set. Add those four to Jonas Hiller and we’re flying!”

We’re flying, but are we also rhyming?

49. Henry says:

Nelson88:
    Henry

I see what you’re saying. I remembered this from Nick Cotsonika’s Yahoo blog a couple years ago and sort of felt that Quincey didn’t seem like the kind of guy the Tambi regime would want around.

The trade deadline can’t come fast enough for the Colorado Avalanche. Listen to defenseman Kyle Quincey, who went from the Avs to the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Detroit Red Wings in a three-way trade on Tuesday.

“Everyone is ready to get shipped out any day,” Quincey said. “There’s a lot of guys, their bags are packed beside the door, and they wouldn’t be unhappy to go – trust me. I know I had a big smile on my face, and all the guys were jealous. I think there’s a bunch of guys that were pissed off they weren’t in a package deal.”

And why is that?

Quincey said a lot of guys feel they “aren’t getting their opportunity” in Colorado. But mostly he talked about players wanting a chance to win and the insecurity players can have at this time of year. Coming off a 4-1 victory over the Kings on Wednesday night, the Avs are only two points out of a playoff spot. But the Avs are 11th in the West, and if you’re traded, you could end up … anywhere. You could move up in the standings, like Quincey did, or you could go down.

Players often say they ignore trade rumors, and some do. But it’s hard to ignore the newspapers, Internet and television when your name is popping up all the time. On one hand, Quincey said he didn’t expect to be traded and was happy in Colorado. On the other, he said he was bringing his biggest suitcase on the Avs’ upcoming trip to Columbus and Detroit, knowing the deadline was coming and he might have to ship off to parts unknown.

“There’s guys that have been talked about for two, three weeks – and I was, too, right?” Quincey said. “That’s all I’m saying. With guys getting talked about all the time, your mindset kind of changes. It’s tough there because they’re in a dogfight. When you get talked about every day, it kind of wears on you. You start thinking, ‘Where am I going?’ ”

A big contributing factor in Colorado: Only seven players are signed beyond this season – forwards Paul Stastny, Gabriel Landeskog and Chuck Kobasew, defensemen Jan Hejda and Ryan O’Byrne and goaltenders Jean-Sebastien Giguere and Semyon Varlamov. The rest are pending restricted or unrestricted free agents.

Even forward Ryan O’Reilly, the Avs’ leading scorer, hasn’t received an extension. He is in the last year of his entry-level deal, making $900,000.

“I truly believe, if you have confidence in a player, then give it to them, show it to them,” Quincey said. “When there’s so much uncertainty if those guys are going to be there next year, it would be nice for guys to get extensions. But that’s their policy, and that’s what they do.”

Quincey paused, then added: “Confidence, it comes and goes, and when it goes, it’s pretty tough to get it back.”

Maybe it’s just a guy being honest with the press. Maybe he’s venting a bit after a trade. If I’m Mac, I’d do some research before offering a big contract.

50. Henry says:

Sorry, can’t seem to find how to italicize the quote embedded in the previous post. That is from Yahoo Sports Feb 2012.

51. Hammers says:

With the ongoing lists of what we need isn’t it about time we solve the major problem discussed here over the last 4 years . That’s our “D” . Not that I want to but I could live with the forwards we have signed if McT could just get us that elusive defencemen and one obviously higher up the food chain than Ference or what we have .That 25 minute L hand “D” helps to solve a lot . You have to give to get .

52. DeadmanWaking says:

Henry,

This <i>is how you quote</i> text.

This is how you quote text.

Or were you looking for a blockquote?

<blockquote>
    quoted stuff
    </blockquote>

quoted stuff

53. spOILer says:

I see we are back to the No-Quote League?

54. Henry says:

DeadmanWaking,

Thanks sincerely.

I botched it.

55. Bookjie says:

LT, the problem with logging in seems to be some type of anti-spam add on that you have enabled.

56. Bookjie says:

The problem with this approach is that anybody can post and pretend to be anyone else (I think).

57. Bookjie says:

Also, how do some people have avatars up – did you manage to sign in? I was blocked by the spam add on this AM and now all I see is this ‘leave a reply’ approach.

58. Bookjie says:

Testing Bookjie’s theory.

–spOILer

Edit: You are right, Bookjie.

59. oliveoilers says:

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria …”

60. spOILer says:

Doesn’t explain the lack of Quote/Reply though.

61. delooper says:

I’m logged in as usual and quote/reply is visible as normal. Not experiencing what it seems most regulars are experiencing.

62. Romulus' Apotheosis says:

Does this work?

It does work!!

I pointed to Edler the other day. If he was in the East on a team similarly struggling, in basically the same situation, he’s be absolutely ideal for a trade.

The biggest issue with him is does he want out? and will Gillis and MacT be able to come to a mutually beneficial deal after the Schneids deal.

63. Romulus' Apotheosis says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 30m
    Leon Draisaitl has 1-1-2 in PA 3-1 W at Swift. 2014 draft eligible has 4-6-10 last 4 GP and 7-10-17 in 8GP in February

Looks like someone has snapped out of his post-WJC funk.

Romulus’ Apotheosis:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer30m

Looks like someone has snapped out of his post-WJC funk.

MacT’s in the crowd too. Just saying.

65. Romulus' Apotheosis says:

@lowetide.

I saw that above. I hope they take a good long look.

Also, maybe they are just hanging with Louie and taking what I assume is a relative out for an Arby’s night after the game:

66. Professor Q says:

Will the high rate of injuries in this year’s Olympics affect any trades before the deadline?

Will it also affect the view going forward of NHL players attending future Olympics?

67. Gerta Rauss says:

Professor Q

I think the NHL has already decided about future Olympic attendance. I would be really surprised if NHL players go to South Korea in 2018.

68. The Great One says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Professor Q

Bill Daly is set to publicly address the issue later this week.

I agree, they’ll start working on a World Cup.

69. Gerta Rauss says:

Daly spoke last week although nothing concrete was offered. I will be stunned if they go to South Korea…Ovechkin had to drag them kicking and screaming just to go to Sochi.

70. skidplate says:

I heard it was K. Lowe :-D

Lowetide: MacT’s in the crowd too. Just saying.

71. FastOil says:

I imagine Bettman will want to monetize the “world” hockey event. Now Bettman’s players are putting on the biggest show at the Olympics and it’s not the NHL getting the revenue. I can’t see how that doesn’t change.