YAK 2, SLAPPY AND ZHARKS!

The 2012 NHL draft may have changed the course of Oiler history. I say “may” because the club could trade Nail Yakupov tomorrow, once again cutting off the Russian pipeline of talent. The Yakupov selection, which was followed by Daniil Zharkov, Bogdan Yakimov and Anton Slepyshev, represents a new day in Oilers Nation. The Russians could have a major impact on the Oilers future if Yak, Yak 2 and Slepyshev patrol the top 2 lines in the future. If Zharkov—a long shot—joins them? Even better.

VOLLMAN’S NHLE APPLIED TO RUSSIAN OIL

1. Bogdan Yakimov 33, 7-5-12 (NHLE: 82, 14-9-23) 9:55TOI
  2. Anton Slepyshev 32, 3-5-8 (NHLE: 82, 6-10-16) 10:19TOI
  3. Daniil Zharkov 49, 2-2-4 (NHLE: 82, 2-3-5) 6:44TOI

Yakimov is getting a lot done on less than 10 minutes a night for Neftekhimik, and is a player to watch closely during this offseason. I am in no way suggesting he’ll come over and play in the NHL, but these are pretty good numbers based on TOI (his points-per-60 is about 2.20—that’s a very good number, especially considering he has only 1 power-play goal).

• Craig MacTavish: “Bogdan Yakimov is a mammoth of a guy and he looked good. He won faceoffs, killed penalties and played on the power play. He’s come a long way the last couple of years with his skating and skill level. Hopefully we’ll sign him and bring him over next year.”

yakimov twitter1Yakimov is a center, 6.05 and 202. His NHLE suggests he should be expected to post decent offense when he finally arrives. Corey Pronman told us about the foot speed back on draft day

• Pronman: His main issue is his skating, as it is below average. His top speed and his first few steps are subpar, and while has shown some improvement, he must continue to progress in that area.

SLAPPY!

• slepyshevCraig MacTavish: “He has a dynamic skill set. High-speed skill. He competes well. There’s plenty of tools there.”

The worry with Slappy is the offense isn’t there. His points-per-60 is 1.46 in the KHL, well back of Yakimov’s number in the same league. I think that’s an issue, but all of his goals have come at even strength. I’d really like to see him spend a season in the AHL.

ZHARKS!

zharkovZharkov is a little older prospect (that’s a joke, they’re all 1994s), and the best information I’ve seen comes from Pronman going back to the 2012 draft.

• Corey Pronman: Zharkov had a pretty impressive first OHL season despite somewhat underwhelming counting numbers. He’s a good skater who hits a desirable top speed, with good first step quickness, showing very good agility and ability to evade defenders. That last part is also due to his puck skills, which are plus, as he can really dangle and has a lot of individual ability. His goal to assist ratio may give the indication of a poor passer or a puck hog, and while he’ll occasionally look like the latter, he does show many instances of being a fine puck distributor. Zharkov is much better, though, at making moves and getting into shooting position where he displays high-end finishing ability. He shows a fine physical game, as while he still needs to put on strength, he has a projectable frame and will work hard on the forecheck and when he has to battle along the boards.

Zharkov’s point-per-60 is 1.21 so far this season, but man he’s not playing much. I don’t really know what we can find out about a guy who has played in 50 games and averages 6 minutes a night. That’s an enforcer’s line.

I think this Yakimov fellow might be a player.

93 Responses to "YAK 2, SLAPPY AND ZHARKS!"

1. VanOil says:

Add more Russians!

One of my favorite potential Defensive pickups this summer is Kulikov. My hope is trading down out of the Ekblad spot and a prospect too Florida is enough.

2. leadfarmer says:

Hey LT. Do you get a feeling that while the attention is being focused on 89 going to LAK for a winger that either Eberle or Yak is going to get shipped to Philly. It seems like the teams have been talking to each other a lot, and there has been Philly management spotted at Oil games recently. I wonder if placing Yak on the top line has been to up his value, or to see if he can replace Eberle. It’s no secret MacT is trying to get bigger, and with 89 gone and not much in the free agent market for centers I am thinking if they are trying to get a deal for Couturier.

3. book¡je says:

Wait – why are you trading Nail?

4. striatic says:

We will know soon enough.

The idea of Philly making a deal with LA, indirectly through Edmonton, is kind of awesome to contemplate considering the way it turned out the last time those two tried that.

book¡je:
    Wait – why are you trading Nail?

He smiled at Smid one time, in a knowing way!

leadfarmer:
    Hey LT.Do you get a feeling that while the attention is being focused on 89 going to LAK for a winger that either Eberle or Yak is going to get shipped to Philly.It seems like the teams have been talking to each other a lot, and there has been Philly management spotted at Oil games recently.I wonder if placing Yak on the top line has been to up his value, or to see if he can replace Eberle.It’s no secret MacT is trying to get bigger, and with 89 gone and not much in the free agent market for centers I am thinking if they are trying to get a deal for Couturier.

I know only this: Couturier, Simmonds and Coburn is a very nice package.

7. The Great One says:

Lowetide: I know only this: Couturier, Simmonds and Coburn is a very nice package.

That plugs 3 holes in one swell foop.

Now, what needs to go the other way to get it done?

8. Pouzar says:

Not happenin. But it would be lovely

9. sliderule says:

How about Couturier and Simmonds for Yak ,Pitlick and Schultz sr.

Works for me .

10. Pouzar says:

sliderule: How about Couturier and Simmonds for Yak ,Pitlick and Schultz sr.Works for me .

That’s not gonna cut it.

11. sliderule says:

Pouzar,

I agree as I don’t think Simmonds will be traded.

Flyers want scoring so Hemsky and Yak are probably what they would like.

What can they offer with Couturier to even it out?

12. The Great One says:

sliderule:
    How about Couturier and Simmonds for Yak ,Pitlick and Schultz sr.

Works for me .

Pitlick and Schultz have zero value.

You won’t get 3 actual NHL players for a lick and a promise.

13. OilClog says:

Eberle, Gagner, Klef, 1st

14. OilClog says:

The Great One: Pitlick and Schultz have zero value.

You won’t get 3 actual NHL players for a lick and a promise.

Schultz will get a pick.

Pitlick would land you something, he’s been “seen” well by scout across the league in the A.

15. OilClog says:

Lowetide: He smiled at Smid one time, in a knowing way!

To be fair, his smile lights up a fan base. No matter how insane we are.

16. OilClog says:

Yakimov will be the death of Landerov.

17. Pouzar says:

OilClog: I’m sorry, but it’s clear I’m in the minor on this one. But I wouldnt trade Yakipov for Coburn, Couturier, and Simmons combined. No thank you. The thing about it is.. Hockey can be such a beautiful sport, it’s typically never allowed to be for whatever Gord reason. But! Players like our Russian Yakupov are rare gems washed up in a sheltered cove full of dolphins and topless Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, or that Romainian? Or Croatian? bouncing brunette joy on the track gif we’ve all seen. You would NEVER trade that.. Yakupov is one of those guys on the ice, unleash him and watch history unfold. Eberle, Gagner, Klef, 1st

18. The Great One says:

OilClog: Schultz will get a pick.

Yeah, you might get a 7th round pick for Schultz and a pick for Pitlick but you won’t get Couturier Coburn or Simmonds for them.

19. The Great One says:

Pouzar: Yer not in the minority. You are the only one who doesn’t trade Yak for Coburn, Couturier, and Simmons. I stopped reading after that.

20. Pouzar says:

Wow nice 3rd period implosion by the Nux.

21. Pouzar says:

The Great One: So. you’re in favour of the Oilers not making any moves and trying to become competitive organically?

Re-read my post. Sheesh.

22. OilClog says:

Moves can be made without Touching Yak.

Eberle can make it happen.

23. The Great One says:

Your post said this:

“Yer not in the minority. You are the only one who doesn’t trade Yak for Coburn, Couturier, and Simmons. I stopped reading after that.”

So what would you do?

Nothing?

24. OilClog says:

Would you trade Taylor Hall for those 3 players? Cause Yakupov is his worth in my eye.

25. Halfwise says:

OilClog:

Eberle, Gagner, Klef, 1st

She’s Australian. Most of them are not that attractive so no wonder you guessed Croatian.

As for trades, you do know it takes two sides, right? Give and take, quid pro quo?

26. PeOiler says:

Just watched Marco Roy play my Charlottetown Islanders. Must say I was expecting to see more from him. Slashed the wrong guy (David Henley) in the 2nd and got his head beat in for it. Cheated for offence most of the night but never was rewarded for it.

27. gvblackhawk says:

OilClog:

Eberle, Gagner, Klef, 1st

I think that is very close to getting the deal done. It seems close to fair value for both sides.

28. stevezie says:

sliderule: I agree as I don’t think Simmonds will be traded.

29. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: I think that is very close to getting the deal done.It seems close to fair value for both sides.

Philly is in the playoff hunt.

They aren’t going to trade NHL players for downgrades and futures.

Simmonds = Eberle

Couturier >>Gagner

Coburn >>>>>>>>Klefbom

Throwing in a first round pick does nothing for Philly this season.

30. The Great One says:

stevezie: I’ve been openly pining for Simmons for awhile now, but he’s only listed at 180 pounds. I don’t actually watch that much Philly hockey, but I remember a power forward type from his days in LA. Do I have that all wrong? Is he a net crashing board worker?

A beast.

31. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: Philly is in the playoff hunt.

They aren’t going to trade NHL players for downgrades and futures.

Simmonds = Eberle

Couturier >>Gagner

Coburn >>>>>>>>Klefbom

Throwing in a first round pick does nothing for Philly this season.

Philly is on the fringe of making the playoffs. They certainly are not considered contenders, and at this point would be bounced out in the first round. A Cup run is not in their immediate future.

That first round pick isn’t just something to sweeten the deal. That pick has true value (top 5, likely top 3).

So put in a different way:

Eberle (the best player in the deal) > Couturier,
    Coburn >> Klefbom (but Klef might be a younger cheaper version soon enough),
    Simmonds > Gagner (but that 1st round pick more than makes up for the difference).

It’s a pretty close trade.

32. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: Philly is on the fringe of making the playoffs.They certainly are not considered contenders, and at this point would be bounced out in the first round.A Cup run is not in their immediate future.

That first round pick isn’t just something to sweeten the deal.That pick has true value (top 5, likely top 3).

So put in a different way:

Eberle (the best player in the deal) > Couturier,
    Coburn >> Klefbom (but Klef might be a younger cheaper version soon enough),

It’s a pretty close trade.

Couturier is the best player in the deal.

Easily.

33. sliderule says:

The Great One,

I think Ekblad would be best player in that deal.

I like Couturier but there was a reason he dropped in draft.

34. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: Couturier is the best player in the deal.

Easily.

What metric are you using to determine that he is ‘easily’ the best player in the deal? Certainly not offensive production (even Gagner has him beat there). His advanced stats are okay but definitely not outstanding.

35. striatic says:

Simmonds is the archetypical Philadelphia Flyer and will never be traded.

He goes to the net, battles, gets goals, plays the power play .. fights.

He has 5 fights already this year. Had 6 in last year’s half season and 10 in the season before that.

Not many players get .7 Points per game while also getting 1.5 PIM per game.

The Philadelphia Flyers will never trade this guy for anyone at remotely comparable value, because without players like him the Flyers aren’t the Flyers.

36. The Great One says:

sliderule:
    The Great One,

I think Ekblad would be best player in that deal.

I like Couturier but there was a reason he dropped in draft.

Ekblad has no value to a team trying to make the playoffs. None.

With only 5 days to trade after the Olympic break, teams like the Oilers are going to have to offer up players who might help a playoff team.

Hemsky, Eberle, Gagner and J Shultz.

There is no other value.

37. striatic says:

A three way trade makes so much sense for LA, presuming they want Gagner.

Edmonton wants D and LA doesn’t have that to spare. LA needs power play help/specialist and Gagner is that. Philly has Coburn, who Edmonton has been interested in.

PHI D to EDM (Coburn, Couturier)
    EDM F to LA (Gagner, Hemsky)
    LA F to PHI (Clifford, Brown)

38. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: What metric are you using to determine that he is ‘easily’ the best player in the deal?Certainly not offensive production (even Gagner has him beat there).His advanced stats are okay but definitely not outstanding.

LOL.

Couturier is a much better player than Gagner.

You need to spend some time looking at their match ups.

39. cabbiesmacker says:

Man is Hampus Lindholm a nice young Dman. Kids gonna be a big time stud for a long time.

40. oliveoilers says:

The Great One: LOL.

Couturier is a much better player than Gagner.

You need to spend some time looking at their match ups.

Take your own advice when saying Couturier is the best player in the deal. Easily. Career high 28pts so far. Wow, easily better than Eberle’s 45 so far. Or career high 76pts. Classic DSF, inflammatory statement with contradictory points and ghost stats designed to lure the unsuspecting commenter in. Wait, dammit, I bit!

41. VanOil says:

Simmonds and Coburn are competent NHL players but do not trill me. Other players of there type would not be that hard to find so parting with significant assets to obtain them seems poor asset management.

Couturier could become an excellent 2nd line defensive center and may well fit in with the Oilers mix of players. Gagner is a second line center, having a brutal season, has defensive woes but can score goals and might fit another teams mix of players. Goal scorers are rarer than defensive players, other than on the Oilers.

I would not trade Eberle or Yakupov. Both likely perennial all stars for the next ten years. If you do trade one of them it better be for defenseman that is likely an all star for the next 10 years.

With Nuge and Hall providing shelter for Yakupov so well recently the second line could do the same for an asset that is less experienced. Young vets Perron and Eberle should be able to support a developing player that offers size and puck retrieval (corner work) like Brock Nelson. A reliable 3d line made up of Gordon-Hemsky + and a 4th of Lander-Hendrick + should allow for crooked zone starts and shelter for the 2nd line.

Having boat anchors on defense means the whole team will struggle until this is fixed. The sequence last night when first Ferrence flubbed an unchallenged break out pass and then Fraser did an even worse job of it, finally Bryz got the puck and made a tape to tape pass will live long in my memory. No amount of trades or coaching changes will help this team if they continue to ice defenders that can not make or take a pass.

42. The Great One says:

oliveoilers: Take your own advice when saying Couturier is the best player in the deal.Easily.Career high 28pts so far.Wow, easily better than Eberle’s 45 so far.Or career high 76pts.Classic DSF, inflammatory statement with contradictory points and ghost stats designed to lure the unsuspecting commenter in.Wait, dammit, I bit!

43. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: LOL.

Couturier is a much better player than Gagner.

You need to spend some time looking at their match ups.

I said Eberle was the best player in the deal. You said it was Couturier….easily. You failed to explain how he was easily the best player. Not by counting numbers or advanced stats (Eberle has better career Corsi percentages, too).

I only said that Gagner has consistently put up better offensive numbers than Couturier.

Back to the original point, the deal is very close. If it meant adding Hemsky instead of Gagner then fine. If it meant adding Justin Schultz instead of Klefbom, I think the Oilers could find a framework to make that work, too — although I think that takes the 1st round pick off the table.

44. sliderule says:

The top three in draft are just lighting it up.

Bennett with a goal and three assists last night.Ekblad with his 18 th goal and an assist and Reinhart with a goal and two assists in progress.

For those who think we should go on a run like we did last year look at Colorado.They went tank for last ten games and got MacKinnon while we did our little feel good thing and got Nurse instead of Jones or Barkov.

45. nelson88 says:

Forget Coburn. Let’s set our sights on the really desperate teams/GM’s and target Edler in a Gagner trade. According to Jason Bitchford the others the Canucks have an excess of D once they are all healthy. Gillis needs to do something.

46. gvblackhawk says:

sliderule:
    The top three in draft are just lighting it up.

For those who think we should go on a run like we did last year look at Colorado.They went tank for last ten games and got MacKinnon while we did our little feel good thing andgot Nurse instead of Jones or Barkov.

Colorado also got lucky by winning the draft lottery — Mackinnon is a stud. However, Nurse is going to be a good player so I would not feel too bad for the Oilers in that regard.

Moreover, they have already got three first overall forwards, and a plethora of quality young defensive prospects. How many more do they need to become competitive? Even if they don’t get one of the top three this year, they will still end up with a highly touted prospect (Dal Colle, etc).

Losing in order to improve draft position is not a good idea at this stage of the game — it is time to start winning (and feeling good about cheering for wins). Losing should be avoided at all costs. The team needs to prove to themselves (and their fans) that they are improving heading into next season.

47. The Great One says:

nelson88:

Gillis needs a scoring winger.

Eberle or Yakupov?

48. RexLibris says:

Given the names we are throwing around, I fail to see how any deal like this happens until after the season and closer to, if not at, the draft.

I don’t see how Philadelphia could expect to subtract anything from their roster that the Oilers would ask for and still make a strong playoff push. These aren’t aging veterans or pending UFAs we’re talking about.

With that, the perceived values of these assets could change dramatically – if Philadelphia makes the playoffs and Simmonds has an inspired post-season, or Gagner puts on a strong showing at the end of the season to get back up to around .6 ppg, so on and so forth.

The discussion is interesting, and the speculation is a lot of fun, but MacTavish balked at the trades at the last draft and presumably has told Lombardi to go take a long walk off a short pier, so while he has been active I don’t expect him to be rash in this next deal.

LT has used the term “keep your powder dry”, and if a player like Couturier is his long-term target then he may wait Holmgren out until the draft. Perhaps one of the potential prospects available then has a tremendous playoff run in junior, thus raising the value of that pick?

So many variables, and considering that Edmonton’s principle assets in this deal are due to increase in value between now and June 27th, it would seem prudent to wait it out until the desired price point is achieved.

49. RexLibris says:

The Great One: Gillis needs a scoring winger.

Eberle or Yakupov?

How about Cammalleri? Hartley could pin a note to his jersey for Tortorella.

50. sliderule says:

The Great One,

I don’t think Gillis will trade with oilers.

51. nelson88 says:

The Great One,

Keep dreaming.

If I were Gillis I would try and Kane out of Winnipeg. Horvat, Kassian and the Dy’s 1st round pick.

52. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: Gillis needs a scoring winger.

Eberle or Yakupov?

I doubt they trade within division because one guy would always try to overcharge the other. Unless Gillis has a momentary lapse of insanity and offers up Kesler to the Oilers, they won’t be trade partners.

53. The Great One says:

RexLibris: How about Cammalleri? Hartley could pin a note to his jersey for Tortorella.

If I was betting, I would wager that Cammy ends up back in LA.

54. gvblackhawk says:

nelson88:
    The Great One,

Keep dreaming.

Not bad. That’s a pretty good trade for both (although I’m not convinced Horvat’s offense translates to the NHL).

55. oliveoilers says:

The Great One: You might want to take look at the role Couturier has been playing with the the Flyers.

Uh-huh. Let’s expand the line of your logic. Couturier is the best player in the deal because of role, correct? Following that you now classify a players ability by role instead of proven stats, did you perhaps mean the most EFFECTIVE player? From your logic, Gazdic be a better player than Couturier because Gazdic is filling his role as 4th line face puncher better than Couturier fills his role. Perhaps we should trade Gazdic for Couturier. I think Philly would go for it.

56. The Great One says:

sliderule:
    The Great One,

I don’t think Gillis will trade with oilers.

Agreed.

57. oliveoilers says:

gvblackhawk: I doubt they trade within division because one guy would always try to overcharge the other.Unless Gillis has a momentary lapse of insanity and offers up Kesler to the Oilers, they won’t be trade partners.

Like with Smid? And Glencross.

58. Younger Oil says:

This might be crazy, but I’ll add to all the crazy trade proposals going around,.

Eberle, Justin Schultz, and Hemsky and our first rounder to Philly for Simmonds, Couturier, Coburn, and the Philly 1st rounder

Gagner to LA for Clifford and Martinez

Nick Schultz, Potter, Jones etc for whatever picks we can get.

That would give us:

RNH-Hall-Yakupov
    Couturier-Perron-Simmonds
    Gordon-Smyth-Hendricks
    Arco/Lander-Clifford-Pitlick

Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Coburn
    Martinez-Fedun
    Fraser

Scrivens

I dunno, just trying to tie everything together and see what the lineup could look like.

59. gvblackhawk says:

oliveoilers: Like with Smid?And Glencross.

That Glencross is a nobody. Nylander, on the other hand, is a guy you can build a team around.

60. The Great One says:

oliveoilers: Uh-huh.Let’s expand the line of your logic.Couturier is the best player in the deal because of role, correct?Following that you now classify a players ability by role instead of proven stats, did you perhaps mean the most EFFECTIVE player?From your logic, Gazdic be a better player thanCouturier because Gazdic is filling his role as 4th line face puncher better than Couturier fills his role.Perhaps we should trade Gazdic for Couturier.I think Philly would go for it.

Phhtttt.

Couturier has been playing the toughs since he was 18 and keeping his head above water.

Gagner has been playing soft competition for half a decade and having his ass handed to him.

One of these is an actual NHL player.

The other is a poufter.

61. cabbiesmacker says:

oliveoilers: Like with Smid?And Glencross.

Maybe you were thinking Staios?

62. RexLibris says:

The Great One: If I was betting, I would wager that Cammy ends up back in LA.

How does that work with the cap, though. I was thinking Anaheim, or perhaps Phoenix if they find themselves close enough to a playoff spot.

63. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: Phhtttt.

One of these is an actual NHL player.

The other is a poufter.

Not exactly playing the toughs at age 18 (higher Q comp this year and last). Claude Giroux was/is getting the highest Q comp as he is their biggest threat to score. And although Couturier was indeed keeping his head above water, he certainly has not been much of a scoring threat either. He is a capable, not amazing, 2C.

64. David says:

Keep the Russians coming. Zykov from LA, trade down in the draft and get Barbashev. I don’t really believe in Sleppy and Zharkov is not going to be anything. Very excited for Yakimov to play in the A next year. The Oilers pipeline is finally starting to pump out useful players and it will continue to do so for years. Good times are ahead.

65. RexLibris says:

Flames fans have taken the recent talk out of Edmonton in praise of Giordano as incentive to create trade scenarios between the Oilers and Flames.

Perhaps there is something worth noting in these recent efforts.

So far discussions have included Giordano for Eberle, Klefbom or Nurse and the 2014 1st round pick as one option. Another had Giordano for Eberle straight across but this was considered too little a return.

The fans have valued Giordano excessively in this situation and are committing a double bias in both devaluing the assets in return while still coveting them all the same.

Oilers fans covet Simmonds for his size and scoring ability. The same is true for Couturier in addition to perhaps a hangover from his draft year when he was considered alongside Nugent-Hopkins and Larsson. Coburn perhaps is seen as a large-bodied shutdown defender that can play the role of a more skilled Jason Smith. All of these things we covet.

On offer we have a draft pick likely in the top three in an unimpressive year which likely offers a potentially very good 2nd line center, a struggling undersized center who, while still young, has failed to take real strides in his game seven years into the NHL, a 30-year old pending UFA winger, and reluctantly a top-line winger who is something of a folk hero in Canada signed long-term. Perhaps picks outside the 1st round for 2015 could be on offer as well.

Not sure where the two sides meet in all this, but for all his detractors, I am glad that MacTavish has Kevin Lowe’s experience at his side when negotiating these deals. He may not be Ken Holland, but Lowe has made at least as many good deals as he has bad during his time as GM.

On another note, I’m glad for this Olympic break right now as I hope that anything going on between the Oilers and either the Kings, Flyers, or Penguins does not distract from pursuing deals for other UFAs like Jones, N.Schultz, Bryzgalov, Fraser or Potter.

The more picks MacTavish can acquire at the deadline the more assets he has to use in leverage for potential deals at the draft.

66. leadfarmer says:

What I don’t understand about Philly, I admit I don’t watch them much, is Wayne SImmonds time on ice. Why don’t they play him more? He’s getting nearly Ryan Smyth minutes. Anyone know why as he is their second best scorer.

And the reason Philly would do the above trade is because they have been looking for a franchise defenseman longer than LT has for that mythical 3 for 1 trade :)

67. striatic says:

leadfarmer: Anyone know why as he is their second best scorer.

Simmonds is extremely good in this role. They’ve tried the PP without him and it isn’t nearly as good, so he isn’t exactly riding coat-tails but he is getting a lot of help.

The rest of the time he’s often on the 3rd line or worse. Especially when he was struggling earlier this year.

68. book¡je says:

I think we may see MacT be not that busy. I suspect one or two trades involving guys like Nick Schultz. Perhaps we may see some UFAs shipped off.

I think the ‘blockbuster’ waits until summer. The draft pick is worth more later than it is now, they types of players that MacT are looking for are in high demand come playoff time and the price is high.

Also, his team has been winning, so some of the pressure is off to do something dramatic (and maybe foolish).

We wait and see, but I think it might be boring.

69. oilersfan says:

Schneider is 81 he isnt trading any current players for futures. Never has never will.
    Philly is about 35-15 since the 10 game mark why would they mess around with their core?

I wouldnt trade the second overall pick or eberle for giordAno , let alone both of them, and neither would mctavish.

Flames fans are nuts

70. Gerta Rauss says:

book¡je:
    I think we may see MacT be not that busy.I suspect one or two trades involving guys like Nick Schultz.Perhaps we may see some UFAs shipped off.

I think the ‘blockbuster’ waits until summer.The draft pick is worth more later than it is now, they types of players that MacT are looking for are in high demand come playoff time and the price is high.

We wait and see, but I think it might be boring.

I agree with all of this

Mac T has been gauging interest and opening dialog for deals at the draft/summer. We are in no hurry to make a deal.

71. Gerta Rauss says:

Mens downhill is starting in about 15 min on CBC

72. JonyPro says:

oilersfan:

Flames fans are nuts

Haha agreed…….30 year old at the peak or just around the corner to plummeting for a 23 year old who sky is his only limit. Maybe they remember his first NHL goal he dished out to the Flames :P

73. flyfish1168 says:

Gagner and Hemsky for couturier. May need to take some of Hemsky contract. Which won’t to bad.

74. bendelson says:

I was a big supporter of trading Hemsky for Simmonds (out of LA) straight up – in 2009. Didn’t get a great deal of support at the time but here we are…

Risky? Yeah sure but damn if that wouldn’t have worked out well.

Who is the 2009 Simmonds equilavent today?
    Zero in on that guy and find a way to make the deal.
    Buy before the price goes supernova.

Novel concept I know…

75. VanOil says:

bendelson:
    Who is the 2009 Simmonds equilavent today?
    Zero in on that guy and find a way to make the deal.
    Buy before the price goes supernova.

Novel concept I know…

Brock Nelson

76. bendelson says:

Not to leave that last comment completely open-ended, I’ll agree with many and name Brock Nelson as the right ‘type’ (less physicality but close). Beau Bennett perhaps (nice size but the physical play is suspect to,date).

Drop the overt physicality and add a strong 200ft game and I love the idea of Austin Watson out of Nashville who would likely cost less…

Go MacT go.

77. Marc says:

This is repeated from the last thread but is on topic.

The thing that makes me question the Eberle or Yak to Philly rumours is that RW is Philly’s second deepest position after C. They’ve got Simmons (42 pts), Voracek (40pts) and Read (26 pts). LW is where they’re a mess. They’ve got Hartnell, who’s probably a second line LW, on the top line, and Lecavalier playing second line LW.

Trading for Eberle or Yak would strengthen an already strong position, but would do nothing to address their weakness at LW, or more importantly, on D. Trading Simmons for Eberle or Yak straight up would make sense for them in that they’d be getting the better player, but as they wouldn’t be addressing either of their areas of weakness, how much better would it actually make their team.

And in any event, it’s hard to see why MacT dealing Eberle or Yak for Simmons straight up. If they’re giving up a first line RW, you’d think that they’d be asking for more than a second line RW back. They’d need Couturier or Coburn as well for to make it worth their while.

But if Philly are willing to move Simmons + Couturier or Coburn, then surely they’d be looking to get improve their areas of weakness in return, not just get a bit better in an area where they’re already quite strong.

78. Marc says:

One further point about Philly, whilst they may have contemplated trading Coburn last summer, but I can’t believe they’d be willing to do so now. By the Vollman sledgehammer he’s been their best D by a country mile. Timmonen has been good, but he’s 38. After that there’s been a whole load of meh.

If Snider wants to win now, I don’t see how trading their best D for another RW possibly helps. If anything I’m guessing that Philly’s brass were scouting the Oilers for help on D. Which tells you something about how desperate they are.

79. Marc says:

And on an unrelated note, I welled up a little reading this thread. DSF made a ridiculous statement (Couturier is better than Eberle), made a halfhearted attempt to justify himself using a stat, then started arguing something completely different (Couturier is better than Gagner). It was just like old times!

Welcome back buddy!

I don’t know how you managed all those months when you weren’t on this forum. I imagine it was something like this:

Waiter: Can I take your order sir?

DSF: I’ll have the chicken. The chicken here is the best chicken in the entire world and the fish is made of rat scrotum.

Waiter: Ummm…this is a steak house. We don’t serve chicken or fish.

DSF: Definitely the chicken. Have you seen the chicken’s quality of competition?

Waiter: If you check the menu, you’ll see that we don’t serve chicken. Can I suggest the ribeye?

DSF: Don’t make me laugh. The ribeye has negative value! You won’t even get a draft pick for the ribeye.

Waiter: But…

DSF: Dale Tallon would unquestionably take the chicken.

Waiter: What does Dale Tallon have to do with anything?

DSF: And while we’re talking about Minnesota, have you seen all their chicken?!?!

Chicken kiev
    Chicken pot pie
    Roast chicken
    Chicken burger
    Chicken Parmigiana
    Chicken nuggets

Lordy!

Waiter: Let me go get my manager

Glad to have you back! :)

80. speeds says:

I’m not saying the Oilers won’t move their pick in the right deal, but also consider that the owner wrote the following in his letter a couple weeks back:

“But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they’re not coming back. If we’re going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.”

81. speeds says:

Just to continue, as my time lapsed while editing

I don’t know that the Oilers would trade Klefbom for Coburn straight up. They seem to be looking to build long term, seem to think a lot of Klefbom, and would be giving up 7 potential NHL years of Klefbom for 2 years of Coburn – doesn’t really fit with the above quote.

Trade Klefbom as part of a deal for a younger D with either more term or more RFA years? Maybe. Move him for a potential 2 year rental in Coburn? I’d be kind of surprised.

82. Bank Shot says:

The thing about Yakimov is that he skates like Jason Strudwick.

Seeing Khaira and his poor skating fail to excel at the junior level doesn’t give me much hope for the big Russian.

I’d love to be wrong about Yakimov but poor skating is death in the National League and Yakimov looked just atrocious skating wise in the worlds this year against junior level players.

Hopefully lack of leg strength is a big part of the problem as that’s something that can be overcome with hard work.

striatic: He gets a large share of his points on the Powerplay, where he is usually on the first unit with this Giroux guy who is pretty good.

Simmonds is not 3rd line or worse.

72% of his ice time this year is with Brayden Schenn, that’s PHI’s 2nd line.

Time with Couturier would be considered 3rd line.

Here’s Simmonds 5v5 TOI, then every forward he’s played with over 10 minutes:

RINALDO, ZAC 12

84. Pouzar says:

Didn’t even realize OKC played Friday:
    Musil 1G +2
    Klefbom +3
    Horak with the hatty
    Arco with 3 pts ( 1g/2a) now has 7pts in 3 games.

85. oliveoilers says:

The Great One: Phhtttt.

One of these is an actual NHL player.

The other is a poufter.

The actual comparison was Eberle to Couturier. But are Couturiers stats fluffed with playing on a better team? And I don’t think Gags is a poofter. I hear he has a girlfriend.

86. oliveoilers says:

cabbiesmacker: Glencross wasn’t traded to the Flames. He just signed a contract there while Tambelinni and Lowe Expectations dozed.

Maybe you were thinking Staios?

I thought maybe Staios, but then he was older and dropping off in form. The point is the same, the Oilers seem to wave that in division trade tax. Why? I don’t know, perhaps we’re being the bigger person and Gillis is a being a douche.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

book¡je:

We wait and see, but I think it might be boring.

This sounds right. I’ve been saying for a while that probably Gagner doesn’t get moved until the off-season (if he does). But, even in the case that Gagner moves, I suspect that’ll be the only real trade here.

The UFAs will all be gone unless no bidders show up to market. The only ones that might stay are guys like Belov who MacT may want to re-sign… in his case I suspect a lot will depend on how his Olympics goes.

I’d also look post-Olympics for a lot of teams to come asking after Marincin… and look for Hemsky’s value to increase.

88. Pouzar says:

Is Marincin in the “untouchable” group now? Yes I know nobody is untouchable yada yada yada…but humour me.

I say 100% untouchable.

89. sliderule says:

Bank Shot,

I had heard that his skating was a problem so probably because of low expectations I was pleased with what I saw.You have to remember he is 6ft5 and 220 lbs so I wasn’t expecting Crosby.His straight ahead speed is not bad and if you timed him I think he would surprise kind of like Marincin when he finished second next to Hall.He was getting a lot of ice and took a lot of face offs and like a lot of big guys when fatigued looked clumsy.He is scoring at a very good rate in the second best league in the world so I have hope for him.
    When you compare him to Draisaitl they are similar in their skating and he might be drafted in top 10.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:

I say 100% untouchable.

Probably near it.

But he’s now a top flight prospect who the team will control forever. I expect a lot of team will come calling and MacT might bite if the brinks truck pulls up.

91. FastOil says:

Simmonds is the best player in any dealer with the OIlers if it’s not Hall, JS or RNH. Yak is more skilled but still an unknown.

Eberle is one dimensional, Simmonds does it all and has better scoring rates. The Oilers are very challenged getting by any means players that play the whole game it seems.

92. FastOil says:

FastOil:

” in any dealer”
    Or deal. I blame my children.

93. russ99 says:

Don’ t forget, MacT had a deal in place for Coburn at the draft (BTW: way below all these other prices) and Philly killed it at the last second, leaving MacT holding the bag.

I don’t see us dealing with them again so soon.

Let’s look for deals in other places than the same old.