50 MISSION CAP

After the deadline, we get  our first look at the problems that will need to be solved during the offseason and the room available to make it happen. Edmonton has quite a bit of cap room, but have to sign defensemen Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry and save room for some big additions at 2C and 1D.

50-MAN LIST (MARCH 7)

1. G Ben Scrivens
  2. G Viktor Fasth
  3. G Richard Bachman (rfa)
  4. G Tyler Bunz
  5. G Laurent Brossoit
  6. G Frans Tuohimaa
  7. D Jeff Petry (rfa)
  8. D Justin Schultz (rfa)
  9. D Martin Marincin
  10. D Andrew Ference
  11. D Phil Larsen (rfa)
  12. D Oscar Klefbom
  13. D Brandon Davidson
  14. D Martin Gernat
  15. D David Musil
  16. D Brad Hunt
  17. D Darnell Nurse (sliderule)
  18. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  19. C Sam Gagner
  20. C Boyd Gordon
  21. C Anton Lander (rfa)
  22. C Will Acton
  23. C Travis Ewanyk
  24. C Jujhar Khaira
  25. L Taylor Hall
  26. L David Perron
  27. L Matt Hendricks
  28. L Luke Gazdic (rfa)
  29. L Jesse Joensuu
  30. L Roman Horak (rfa)
  31. L Ryan Hamilton
  32. L Curtis Hamilton (rfa)
  33. L Kale Kessy
  34. L Mitchell Moroz
  35. R Jordan Eberle
  36. R Nail Yakupov
  37. R Tyler Pitlick (rfa)
  38. R Andrew Miller (rfa)

I have excluded Mark Arcobello (who is listed on capgeek) because he’ll be UFA this summer. There’s also a chance they walk a couple of rfa’s (Curtis Hamilton, Andrew Miller) and trade away some of the current group. Current UFA’s Mark Arcobello, Mark Fraser, Ryan Smyth, Anton Belov, Ryan Jones, Denis Grebeshkov and Ben Eager may or may not return. Current sliderule contracts for Jujhar Khaira and Mitch Moroz graduate and will count.

POSSIBLE ADDITIONS

1. D Aaron Ekblad: If the Oilers pick him, I believe he’ll be in the NHL. It may push Darnell Nurse back another year.
  2. C Marco Roy: He is eligible to sign, but may return to junior. Roy’s season has been filled with injuries ala Marc Pouliot.
  3. C Bogdan Yakimov: MacT loves the guy, he might come out of the Russian wilderness this fall.
  4. D Ben Betker: He’s big and mobile, Oilers love him I can tell.
  5. D Erik Gustafsson: The Swede has enjoyed a good season, suspect they’ll sign him. The one item to remember is he was drafted before MacT arrived as GM.
  6. D Joey Laleggia: He has one more year of eligibility if it comes to that, Edmonton has a lot of pro blue.
  7. R John McCarron: I’d bet money they sign the big forward.
  8. D Dillon Simpson: I spoke to Guy Flaming (who spoke to Simpson on-air) and he got the feeling that the young man plans to sign with Edmonton.
  9. F Kellen Jones: I don’t think he signs with Edmonton.

My guess? Ekblad, Yakimov, Gustafsson, McCarron and Simpson all turn pro as Oilers this fall.

142 Responses to "50 MISSION CAP"

Bohologo:
    Any chance the Oil will sign NCAA free agents this spring? It’d be nice to see progress on that front.

I think it’ll be a big part of the spring, honestly. Would be surprised to see them pursue a goalie, defensemen and centers.

2. VanOil says:

I hope they sign Simpson.

A potential or placeholder 1D such as Kulikov or Ehrhoff need not cost the moon cap wise.

A 2C can be found in this years draft.

Ekblad and Nurse would make an elite 1st pairing at next seasons WJC

Ekblad and Nurse would make a shite bottom pairing in next seasons in the NHL

I would trade 2015 1st round pick for either Kulikov or Ehrhoff. I am tired of the Oilers losing.

3. Ducey says:

I was kind of hoping the signed Cody Corbett off the Oil Kings. He just signed this week with the Avs.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dubnyk starting in Hamilton tonight vs the Barons:

I hope he does well, I also hope he loses.

5. HugThePost says:

What are the chances they bring Fraser back?

I get the argument against the guys who punch better than they can play, but like it or not, the physical stuff is part of the game (at least in the regular season).

I get the argument that you win hockey games by scoring more than the other team, not knocking them out. I totally totally get it. You want the guys who will push the puck towards the opposition net.

But…..there are other things in hockey that add to a team that you just cannot quantify. Like the effect the ‘glue guys’ like Hendricks have on team morale and togetherness. Or how much more ‘swagger’ a team has when they know they have a couple of guys who can take care of business if it needs taking care of.

I just think there must be a sweet spot where a team has the skill it needs, but also has the brawn it needs.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

1.D Aaron Ekblad: If the Oilers pick him, I believe he’ll be in the NHL. It may push Darnell Nurse back another year.

I think that’s why MacT has been fretting so over the goalie situation.
    He plans to pack the Oilers with inexperienced D next season.
    Force feed them a little growin-up quick medicine.

The goalies will make it work today, just like Low & Fuhrzie made it work for Lowe back in the day.

7. gr8one says:

How do the rules work regarding draft +1 players like Nurse and AHL eligibility? Does he have to go back to junior again if not in the NHL?

I’m guessing yes since you don’t think he’ll turn pro this year?

8. Ryan says:

Why do you hate arcobello so much?

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m still shocked to see no one take a flyer on Mitch Holmberg. Leading scorer in the Dub. Overager. found money.

he’s small though. so the Oil will stay away, but I’d have thought someone would offer an ELC by now.

I don’t hink the Swede gets offered a contract and definitely not Jones.

Betker, I believe can go back for an over-age season to Everett. Even if they sign him, I bet they send him back. I like him a lot but suspect he’ll take a lot of time, if he makes it at all.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ICYMI

I wrote this about roster construction on the blue earlier today:

11. Ryan says:

Marincin – Petry
    Nurse – Ekblad
    Klefbom – ference

I hope that isn’t what Mact has pencilled in for opening night next season.

12. Ryan says:

Any of you guys have advice for cooking steak on a foreman grill?

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gr8one:

I’m guessing yes since you don’t think he’ll turn pro this year?

I can’t recall the exact wording of the rule, but he has to go back to Jr or play in the NHL.

(or go to Europe… I think he can do that)

14. bucknuck says:

Am I the only guy who can’t understand why Arcobello isn’t getting any love. He’s destroying the AHL, and he was getting a point a game before they moved him to the wing on the fourth line. His plus minus is great considering how poorly the oilers were playing before he was sent down.

I know he is a small player, but he doesn’t play like one. What more does he have to do?

15. The Great One says:

Ryan:
    Any of you guys have advice for cooking steak on a foreman grill?

Highest heat possible.

Put on diagonally for 2 minutes.

Flip diagonally for 2 minutes.

Enjoy.

Medium rare.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Arco (unassisted) beats Dubnyk.
    1-1

17. hags9k says:

Ryan:
    Marincin – Petry
    Nurse –Ekblad
    Klefbom – ference

I hope that isn’t what Mact has pencilled in for opening night next season.

I’d say that’s exactly what they want to do, assuming they take Ekblad. History tells us they will have a very tough time keeping their hands out of the cookie jar. Neither Nurse nor Ekblad should be there next year. Let them take their time. If it means Hall walks before they are ripe so be it, They will be the new nucleus.

It comes down to do we want to be a perennial cup contender, or make the playoffs as quick as possible. I hope the failure of this season doesn’t push their thinking towards the latter.

bucknuck:
    Am I the only guy who can’t understand why Arcobello isn’t getting any love.He’s destroying the AHL, and he was getting a point a game before they moved him to the wing on the fourth line.His plus minus is great considering how poorly the oilers were playing before he was sent down.

I know he is a small player, but he doesn’t play like one.What more does he have to do?

Arcobello just scored. He’s no good.

19. The Great One says:

bucknuck:

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 2m

@RomulusNotNuma I think Dellow’s secretly working for the Oil and that’s the reason why Arco isn’t with the big club

20. gvblackhawk says:

Ryan:
    Marincin – Petry
    Nurse –Ekblad
    Klefbom – ference

I hope that isn’t what Mact has pencilled in for opening night next season.

Why not? You don’t like Connor McDavid?

21. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: Why not?You don’t like Connor McDavid?

McDavid with 2A so far tonight.

Now 89 points in only 52 games.

Canucks prospect Dane Fox with his 60th goal.

22. russ99 says:

Arcobello and Lander are question marks for next year due to the Oilers track record of handling such players.

If they were in the plans, they would have gotten a long look a while ago, especially considering
    that we’re finishing at or near the bottom again. They’re both bubble players even on our roster, where MacT likes to reserve a few spots for facepunchers.

Plus you have to take the player’s wishes into account, do they really want to stay trapped in a talent depleted AHL team for another year or sign with a team that will give you an NHL shot, or in Lander’s case cash out in the KHL?

23. DeadmanWaking says:

The Great One: Put on diagonally for 2 minutes.
    Flip diagonally for 2 minutes.

The Science of Good Cooking has several recommendations about grilling in general.

First, they claim that salting the meat an hour ahead of time improves flavour. Haven’t tried this one yet, myself. See steak, heat steak, eat steak.

Second, they prefer pre-cooking to 95 F internal in a 275 degree oven, before pan searing top, bottom, and sides (held in tongs) in a nearly scorching hot pan.

Finally, they say to rest the steaks after cooking to preserve the juices. I’ve rarely managed that myself. See steak, heat steak, eat steak. Rare + rarely a rest stop.

It’s not that the juices are absorbed back into the meat. What actually happens is that the juices naturally thicken. Rest for ten freaking minutes under tented aluminum? Are they nuts? I don’t think that’s humanly possible with a perfectly cooked t-bone.

24. russ99 says:

DeadmanWaking,

I swear by the pre-cooking at low heat method for steak and ribs, it really brings out the flavor.

25. sliderule says:

If they get a chance and pick Ekblad he will play in nhl next year.

Nurse will get a look but if he isn’t sent back we are in a world of hurt.

26. russ99 says:

Ryan:
    Marincin – Petry
    Nurse –Ekblad
    Klefbom – ference

I hope that isn’t what Mact has pencilled in for opening night next season.

IMO, Klefbom is going to be moved, Nurse is going to stay in OHL one more year and the Sabres are picking Ekblad before us since both Myers and Ehrhoff are on the block. And we’re signing 2-3 veteran defensemen in UFA.

DeadmanWaking:See steak, heat steak, eat steak.

Marry me. Seriously.

28. The Great One says:

I’ve been experimenting with prime rib throughout the winter.

Brining it is wonderful but a slow process and likely not be of much use to Ryan tonight.

There are those who prefer the pre-cooking at low heat but there are others who say exactly the opposite.

My best success has come from searing at very high heat and then reducing the temperature either through low heat cooking (for very thick cuts) or tenting for 10 minutes as the meat continues to cook.

Charring the exterior is the key and crusting it with rock salt (the Keg secret) enhances the flavour tremendously.

29. The Great One says:

On another note, when cooking chicken breasts, first coat the outside with mayonnaise, then roll in a combination of panko crumbs, lemon zest and pepper.

Unbelievable.

30. russ99 says:

The Great One,

I’m a strictly charcoal griller, so low heat after the searing process is tough to do. I usually use the coal-pyramid to really sear in the middle of the grill, then move the steaks to the sides for some indirect heat to finish them.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Arco on the PP (lander, horak)
    2-1

32. The Great One says:

russ99:
    The Great One,

That should work.

33. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Arco on the PP
    2-1

This is a recipe and dating site,

What are you going on about?

He’s no good scores again, from Lander. 2-1 OKC

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: This is a recipe and dating site,

What are you going on about?

Dating?

Wow… I’m really doing something wrong here!

36. etownman says:

Both Zharkov & Slepyshev playing in the KHL will be 20 years old this year, what about their status? Also, there was a couple Finns whose rights were retained last year, Tyrvainen the feisty winger & Hovinen the goaltender. Any information on these players?

37. Pouzar says:

Three centermen in OKC making beautiful music and we have to suffer through Gagner.
    Life is not fair. Unless of course I win the 50 mil tonight then yes life is fair again.

38. book¡je says:

Here’s how you cook steak.

1. Buy crappy steak.
    2. Put steak in good quality freezer ziplock.
    3. Put salt, Garlic, and pepper in bag.
    4. Get a small piece of acidic fruit like an orange (papaya is great) and mash in in the ziplock.
    5. Close ziplock with as little air as possible.
    6. Get mixing bowl and put in sink.
    7. Run hot water filling bowl – leave hot water trickling in bowl. Water should be ~140F.
    8. Put ziplock in water. Keep water tickling (top of ziplock outside of water).
    9. Go watch hockey for 30 min to 80 min.
    10. Heat skillet on stove – Hot Hot Hot – Add oil and get it Hot – take steak out of ziplock and sear each side until nicely brown with a little crisp (~90 seconds each side)
    11. Eat steak

You can also just buy a really good steak and BBQ it, but I am cheap and this works awesome. It’s a lazy approach to sous vide.

39. The Great One says:

He’s no good scores again, from Lander. 2-1 OKC

Are they making the same mistake the Flames made with Marty St. Louis?

40. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Dating?

Wow… I’m really doing something wrong here!

Cook LT a steak and he’ll marry you. Seriously.

41. Pouzar says:

book¡je:
    Here’s how you cook steak.

1. Buy crappy steak.
    2. Put steak in good quality freezer ziplock.
    3. Put salt, Garlic, and pepper in bag.
    5. Close ziplock with as little air as possible.
    6. Get mixing bowl and put in sink.
    7. Run hot water filling bowl – leave water trickling in bowl.Water should be ~140F.
    8. Put ziplock in water.Keep water tickling (top of ziplock outside of water).
    9. Go watch hockey for 30 min to 80 min.
    10. Heat skillet on stove – Hot Hot Hot – Add oil and get it Hot – take steak out of ziplock and seat each side until nicely crispy brown (~90 seconds each side)
    11.Eat steak

You can also just buy a really good steak and BBQ it, but I am cheap and this works awesome.It’s a lazy approach to sous vide.

I’m lazy so I buy the good steak. :)

42. Ryan says:

The Great One: Yes.

Highest heat possible.

Put on diagonally for 2 minutes.

Flip diagonally for 2 minutes.

Enjoy.

Medium rare.

That worked perfectly!

43. PDO says:

Always, always, always let your steak rest.

Cook at high heat… use the finger test

And then let that baby rest.

44. The Great One says:

Ryan: That worked perfectly!

Great!

Some people forget that Foreman grills cook on both sides at the same time,

assist for Marco Roy tonight, he’s 35GP, 11-19-30

46. sliderule says:

In the toilet bowl panthers lead Sabres 1-0.

Gilbert has played well.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Canucks prospect Dane Fox with his 60th goal.

I guess the NHLE would help too… Vollman takes into account age in the different leagues, right?

I really wonder about this Mitch Holmberg.

48. PDO says:

sliderule:
    In the toilet bowl panthers lead Sabres 1-0.

Gilberthas played well.

49. sliderule says:

That kid at oiler camp and prospect games looked great.

Concussions!,

50. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Has anyone got a link to anything on overagers and success? how do they compare to say, undrafted NCAA players?

I really wonder about this Mitch Holmberg.

I’ve been looking for one too.

Let me know if you find anything.

51. The Great One says:

sliderule:
    In the toilet bowl panthers lead Sabres 1-0.

Gilberthas played well.

Through 2 periods….Sean Bergenheim has 9 shots on goal.

sliderule:

That kid at oiler camp and prospect games looked great.

Concussions!,

I know. Very disappointing.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Cook LT a steak and he’ll marry you. Seriously.

Us bigamists are going to have to move to Bountiful.

We get to bring our wives, right? And, it’s a platonic marriage, right?

54. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Us bigamists are going to have to move to Bountiful.

We get to bring our wives, right? And, it’s a platonic marriage, right?

Better check that out with the boss.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PDO: Gilbert not being traded, at his cap hit and with his results this year is rather incredible.

they probably got offers. I think they might try to re-up him. who knows, maybe he likes it there… sun and all. Luongo seemed to really like it.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Better check that out with the boss.

which part… and who’s the boss… it’s Judith Light, right?

57. VanOil says:

With cap room, cash and Florida sunshine to sell Tallon will be a on a mission. Gilbert will get paid, Kulikov will get paid and old Wingers will get a low stress, high sun, chance to win place to be multi-millionaires. Lucky buggers.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BTW Dubnyk has been fantastic in this game. 30 shots through the first two periods. 28 saves. .933333 SV%

best possible result. he plays great, we still win.

8 teams running out the string. Bet you’ll NEVER guess one of the teams! (slideshow warning)

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Tallon in an intermission interview just said that Florida is set for a long time in Goal and at Center. He will spend big during free agency with the new owners backing.

Doesn’t that make you just wonder what the fuck with a guy like Horton?

I get the wanting to get out of a hockey market thing… but Ohio?

If I’m just cashing it in and want to get out of a hockey town… florida conveniently has two options!

61. HugThePost says:

is Klefbom playing tonight?

62. sliderule says:

Kulikov scores 2-0 panthers.

63. book¡je says:

HugThePost:
    is Klefbom playing tonight?

He’s broken again

HugThePost:
    is Klefbom playing tonight?

No, Patricia Teter just tweeted per Byers (pbp) Klefbom didn’t play upper body injury not serious. So they probably let him rest another day because they don’t plan on recalling him yet.

65. The Great One says:

I saw the interview as well.

For the first time in forever, Tallon has an owner who is willing to spend to the cap so he could be the most active GM in the offseason and he has the most cap space to play with.

If they had had Luongo in goal from the start of the season, they would be vying for a playoff spot but with stability in goal, a brace of exceptional young centres and a decent D, they could be the next big thing.

Kulikov scores to make it 2-0.

66. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed on Horton.

I no longer want Kulikov for the Oilers because the Panther play-by-play man just called his goal as ‘hanging with Kulio down by the school yard’, ‘big spank from the big crank’ and ‘Elephant gun’.

I don’t know if he could ever out preform that alliteration in my mind. Hockey crush over.

67. sliderule says:

The Great One,

I am pulling for your winter home team .

We need Ekblad .

68. VanOil says:

The Great One,

Tallon’s cock sure demeanor and smile are sure a contrast to say Gillis and MacT in there last interviews. I agree he will be a big mover this summer.

69. The Great One says:

sliderule:
    The Great One,

I am pulling for your winter home team .

We need Ekblad .

Buffalo will take Ekblad.

And then, using the NYI pick, they’ll take a centre.

70. Cameron says:

I get the assumption that Edm takes Ekblad, but isn’t it a 50/50 that someone other than Buffalo picks 1st – and assuming they take Ekblad, who does Edmonton target at pick #3?

71. dessert1111 says:

Hey LT, I think you forgot fedun on the list of UFAs they might resign.

72. VanOil says:

There has been 6+ goalie trades this year and so far NYI have been in on none of them. Snow if he keeps his job will be chum in the water for GMs and agents knowing he must be desperate.

73. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Doesn’t that make you just wonder what the fuck with a guy like Horton?

I get the wanting to get out of a hockey market thing… but Ohio?

I thought when Horton was in Florida he wanted to get INTO a hockey market?

74. VanOil says:

The Great One,

I think Buffalo takes Reinhart. For me he is BPA, lower risk and addresses need better for them.

Who ever picks second probably takes Ekblad.

If Buffalo was in love with Ekblad I would trade down Oils 2nd overall to Buffs NYI pick (if they get it) and select the German Cowboy for Ristolainen or Zadorov. Both are better players right now than Ekblad.

75. Jamie says:

Great advice on the steaks. I have three caribou steaks ‘resting’ right now. Yummy.

I thought the NYI 1st round pick was protected?

76. The Great One says:

VanOil:
    The Great One,

Who ever picks second probably takes Ekblad.

All depends what Snow decides to do.

If Buffalo gets the the NYI pick I expect Buffalo takes Ekblad and a C.

I doubt the Oilers have anything that could convince Buffalo to give up that pick.

77. The Great One says:

Luongo with a shutout in his first game back in Florida.

78. The Great One says:

Jamie:
    Great advice on the steaks.I have three caribou steaks ‘resting’ right now.Yummy.

I thought the NYI 1st round pick was protected?

It is.

Snow has a choice to either give it up in 2014 or hold on to a McDavid lottery pick.

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Buffalo will take Ekblad.

And then, using the NYI pick, they’ll take a centre.

I thought you said the other day they for sure wouldn’t take Ekblad?

80. Caramel Obvious says:

VanOil:

This is the real mystery. Pre-Tavares injury the Islanders had a decent team that was sunk by bad goaltending. Not only this year, but last as well. While MacTavish solved the Oilers problem with a couple of third round picks, Snow was busy paying other teams for the right to give them Matt Moulson.

It’s a shame.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gr8one: I thought when Horton was in Florida he wanted to get INTO a hockey market?

The word was he didn’t re-sign in BOS because he wanted out of a hockey market… who knows maybe it’s just a line he uses flippantly.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One:
    Luongo with a shutout in his first game back in Florida.

Isn’t that great?

Man alive, he’s made a fan of all of us. No one likes watch good people get fucked with.

83. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Isn’t that great?

He’s a classy guy who finally got to go home.

What’s not to like?

Romulus Apotheosis: I thought you said the other day they for sure wouldn’t take Ekblad?

That was a different thread.

85. justDOit says:

The Great One: Yes.

Highest heat possible.

Put on diagonally for 2 minutes.

Flip diagonally for 2 minutes.

Enjoy.

Medium rare.

High heat, yes, but the time will depend on the cut.

I recently saw scans of a Dean Martin cookbook for hamburgers. It went like this:

2 lbs ground beef
    4 oz bourbon

Form beef into patties and place into a salted pan on med-high heat.
    Pour bourbon into glass and drink.

Sinatra’s recipe was purportedly better:

Call Deano and ask him to come over and make some fucking burgers.

86. The Great One says:

Depends on Snow.

If they have the NYI pick I think they take Ekblad and a C.

Their C depth is already decent with:

Hodgson

Grigerenko

Girgensons

Ennis

Adam

Mitchell

Konopka

I expect they’ll end up with both a D and a C in the top 5.

Unless Snow is crazy….which he might be.

87. justDOit says:

The Great One:

… Unless Snow is crazy….which he might be.

Many Isle fans think so.

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Depends on Snow.

That sounds like a poem title.

89. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That sounds like a poem title.

A Sarah McLaughlin song.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, remember how after the WJC Reinhart was on a crazy tear and Draisaitl was basically loafing around?

Draisaitl with 4 points tonight (2-2-4) and now tied with Reinhart in the Dub:

91. The Great One says:

From the Mason article you referenced:

“When Mr. Tortorella stormed an opposing team’s dressing room between periods of a game earlier this year, it alarmed everyone in the organization, including his players. If you want to chart the radical decline of the Canucks this season, you can begin at that moment. The team went into a nosedive after the incident, for which Mr. Tortorella was suspended six games. While he apologized profusely for his antics, it hasn’t changed the perception a loose cannon is in charge.

If the Canucks continue along the disastrous arc they are now travelling, Mr. Aquilini will have some major decisions to make. And the first may be whether he keeps a coach in the first year of an expensive five-year contract who has presided over one of the worst seasons in recent team history. Missing the playoffs costs a franchise buckets of money. Owners will not want that to become a habit.

In firing Mr. Tortorella, Mr. Aquilini might have to spend money to make money.”

According to reports, hiring Torts was a decision at least heavily influenced by ownership if not their decision.

The Canucks tailspin coincided with his meltdown against Calgary and it would seem he lost the respect of his veteran team.

92. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

The Great One,

The Great One: Depends on Snow.

If they have the NYI pick I think they take Ekblad and a C.

Their C depth is already decent with:

Hodgson

Grigerenko

Girgensons

Ennis

Adam

Mitchell

Konopka

I expect they’ll end up with both a D and a C in the top 5.

Unless Snow is crazy….which he might be.

I dont think Buffalo is sold on Grigerenko, I got nothing to back that up though, just a hunch.

He had that moaning about reporting to JR ealier, I just think Rienhart is a better option for them.

93. "Steve Smith" says:

russ99: If so, that would be the truest tell that we’re tanking until the new arena is built.

Seriously, it seems to be accepted as truth in some circles that this is the Oilers’ strategy, but if it’s true (which I am strongly inclined to think that it is not), it’s even dumber than most Oiler strategies.

94. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: Nobody has yet explained to me how this supposed strategy makes even a modicum of sense.If you provide people with a really terrible product, they’re more supportive of using their tax dollars to give you an arena?Is that the thinking?

but…but…the new arena. It all just makes perfect sense if you don’t think about it!!

95. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”: Nobody has yet explained to me how this supposed strategy makes even a modicum of sense. If you provide people with a really terrible product, they’re more supportive of using their tax dollars to give you an arena? Is that the thinking?

As the saying goes, “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

The Oiler equivalent is “Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

96. VanOil says:

Media chasing Jake Gardiner out of town again. http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=445576

Can a Gagner trade reunite the Badgers? Or is Fraser really Eakins favorite ex-Marlies Dman?

97. VanOil says:

As bad as NYI have been in AB twice blowing 2 goal leads in the third, they still left AB with more points than the Sens.

98. gogliano says:

I assume the theory is this:

New arena has far greater revenue opportunities than old due to various features of the arena (luxury seats, etc. etc.). A winning team with star players makes more money than a losing one, even if all the seats are full in the old arena, because it increases the ability to demand premium pricing (especially during playoff runs). Ergo, a loser season in Northlands, if it contributes to future success (and particularly to success that wouldn’t be achieved without the tank / elite players like Reinhart), will be more than compensated for by a winning team in a higher revenue arena.

In short, the cost of tanking is lower now because of Northlands and it increases once we hit the new arena with its moneymaking devices, so on a cost/benefit analysis the tank comes out in the black over the long haul only because of the reduced cost (i.e., reduced lost revenue). Conversely, you could say that under this theory it might not make sense to ever tank if you were always in the new arena because you’d be losing too much cash for it to be worth it.

It makes sense if the numbers work out, but they probably don’t.

99. "Steve Smith" says:

gogliano,

That would make some sense if the theory was tanking now vs. tanking later, but the way the theory is usually presented (including above by Russ), as I understand it, is deliberately prolonging the tankjob until the arena is done.

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wes Mantooth-11:
    The Great One,

I hate this stuff.

“moaning about reporting”

fuck that.

he’s a teenager who was mishandled by a GM who had completely lost touch with reasonable. Regier didn’t have fucking clue at the end. Grigs did everything right but was in over his head. Not his fault, he’s a kid. Then he gets sent down by a new GM and he’s confused about it. He writes a heartfelt letter trying to explain himself and goes down without missing game.

And, we’re going to dump on him.

Fuck that.

No way these kids deserve that kind of scorn from us. No fucking way.

As far as whether sending him down means they’ve soured on him. I doubt it. That just means they’ve come to their senses in how to properly handle a prospect. No reason to rush him, esp. consider how screwed that team is.

(I don’t mean this to sound like I’m attacking you… but this stuff pisses me off. he’s a kid. They didn’t sign up for us to prod at their underdeveloped characters)

101. RexLibris says:

Cameron:

Suspect their list goes Ekblad – Reinhart and Bennett/Draisaitl.

Assuming the Oilers pick 3rd, they’ll take whomever is left in that order.

RexLibris: Suspect their list goes Ekblad – Reinhart and Bennett/Draisaitl.

Assuming the Oilers pick 3rd, they’ll take whomever is left in that order.

103. RexLibris says:

Friend at work is concerned about the Oilers playing themselves out of a top three draft pick this year.

I mentioned the games at hand and general improvement of some of the teams in the bottom five (addition of Luongo and such), but also that the Oilers have, since about game 20, largely been injury-free this season.

This got me to thinking, if the Petry injury extends to five or even ten games, or if Hall or Nugent-Hopkins were to go down, then I think this team could drop even more games by season’s end.

They’ve been relatively fortunate this year, Kassian notwithstanding, and based on years past, I’m now almost holding my breath awaiting the seemingly inevitable.

104. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Yes. Ekblad, Bennett or Reinhart, Draisaitl. I bet that’s the order, with 2-3 kind of a blur.

I’ve got Bennett and Draisaitl together because of size and some things I’ve heard about their shared level of competitive fire.

Reading Reinhart’s scouting report I just can’t help but love him. As before, I’ll defer to MacGregor – he probably knows his job better than I, probably – but Reinhart may be like McKinnon in that I’d cheer for him in 29 NHL jerseys.

He wears the Flaming C though, and he is dead to me.

RexLibris: You’ve got Bennett ahead of Reinhart. Is that because of the “truculence” factor, plays with an edge sort of thing?

He wears the Flaming C though, and he is dead to me.

I’m impressed by Bennett currently. It will likely pass.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m impressed by Bennett currently. It will likely pass.

Come back to the Draisaitl side of things. It was better when you were over here:

107. AZOIL says:

We probably wanted Florida and Calgary to win tonight? It’s sad I get excited for the draft all these years in a row! One day! I am holding out hope! Westjet flys to edmonton from Phx now I hear! Bucket list of mine is to go to an oilers home playoff game!!! One day!

108. Numenius says:

Cameron:

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius: I’d take Draisaitl if the Oil pick third. I have a feeling he’s the Sean Monahan of this draft.

Barkov.

110. Hammers says:

Like I said last night McT will be busy Your 38 is probably 37 plus the 4 you think will sign . He still needs 4 or 5 for the Oil and 2-3 for Okl . Say 6 new signings and it puts us at 47 . . Ekblad will be gone so a “C” will be picked with any of 3 that are near the top . We still need a LH “D” & a center. there the most important . Maybe Klef or Nurse stick and resign Smyth for 1 yr @$ 1 mill . The other forwards have to come from Okl . Probably Lander , Pitlick & Horak . That gives us 14-15 forwards ; 2 goalies & 8-9 “D” to choose from unless there is a trade . 2 in goal , New * “D” , Ference Schultz , Petry , Marincin , Larsen , Klefbom , Nurse , Forward , RNH , Hall , Ebs , New * “C” , Perron , Yak , Gordon , Hendricks , Pitlick , Lander , Smyth , Joensuu , Gags , Horak , Gazdic . Plus sign the 2014 1st pick maybe another “D” ( M. Green ) and another forward . Plus what he needs for OKL

111. Numenius says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Barkov.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius: Not Barkov, Monahan. History suggests he was the second best C in the 2013 draft, just as I suspect Draisaitl will be in the 2014 draft.

You’re saying in a do-over of Cs you go MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov?

no way, jose.

113. Numenius says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You’re saying in a do-over of Cs you go MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov?

no way, jose.

We’ll see. It’s early to tell of course.

114. RexLibris says:

I like Draisaitl. His size is nice, but I’ve seen this team fall for size before (Hulbig, Isbister, Daze) and lose sight of the big picture, so naturally I have reservations this early.

Also, I’d like some confirmation on his playing C, as opposed to LW as is listed elsewhere, and that being translatable to the NHL. Pitlick was drafted as a C but his game is obviously suited to RW.

Reinhart is a pure C. Beautiful player. Bennett is the same, but with more edge and perhaps a touch less skill, and nearly a half a year younger. Draisaitl is the oldest of the bunch a few months older than Reinhart.

Of course, Ekblad will drop at the draft, the Oilers will select him 3rd, making all of this discussion moot (moo, as WG would say) and we’ll vacillate between dreams of Doughty/Pietrangelo and nightmares of Barker as he develops.

Because we are fans of the Edmonton Oilers.

115. RexLibris says:

For the heck of it, I looked at the bottom five teams and their last 10 games. I doubled that production on the assumption of a status quo from the current pace for each.

Granted, things will change as the Sabres are w/o Miller and the Panthers have gained Luongo, while the Flames are w/o Stempniak but can expect Glencross to return and the Islanders are…well, anyway.

This gave me the following bottom five standings:
    Calgary on pace for 81 pts.
    Edmonton for 76 pts
    Islanders for 69 pts
    Panthers for 67 pts
    Buffalo for 62 pts

If we assume that Snow lets this pick go and keeps his 2015 pick then I think it goes Ekblad – Reinhart – Bennett. Leaving the Oilers with Draisaitl.

If Snow doesn’t forfeit the pick and retains it, I still think the Sabres take Ekblad and then it probably still goes Reinhart and Bennett in the next two.

Either way, if this is correct then there is a chance that the Oilers draft 4th overall. Is there even the slightest chance Ekblad falls the way Jones did?

116. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I hate this stuff.

“moaning about reporting”

fuck that.

And, we’re going to dump on him.

Fuck that.

No way these kids deserve that kind of scorn from us. No fucking way.

I guess I should clarify my original post, of “moaning about reporting to JR” I never took that as a shot at Grigerenko, it was more of an aside comment to an incident that occurred about the player.

Having said that, I feel with the defense & defensive prospects Buffalo already has, the BPA option would be Reinhart, possible making Grigerenko expendable.

Like I said, nothing to back that up with, just a hunch the Sabers may move in a different direction.

117. mumbai max says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I hate this stuff.

“moaning about reporting”

fuck that.

And, we’re going to dump on him.

Fuck that.

No way these kids deserve that kind of scorn from us. No fucking way.

Well, actually i think they did. They are well paid public figures. If he had chosen a career at Canadian Tire, he could have moaned or not moaned about the subjects of his choice, and we would not have noticed. Comes with the territory, if we/they like it or not.

DeadmanWaking: That’s awfully fast for a thicker cut, but it might work if you let the steak come up to winter room temperature before you start (this is a good idea generally with nearly everything but turkey).

First, they claim that salting the meat an hour ahead of time improves flavour.Haven’t tried this one yet, myself.See steak, heat steak, eat steak.

Finally, they say to rest the steaks after cooking to preserve the juices.I’ve rarely managed that myself.See steak, heat steak, eat steak.Rare + rarely a rest stop.

It’s not that the juices are absorbed back into the meat.What actually happens is that the juices naturally thicken. Rest for ten freaking minutes under tented aluminum?Are they nuts?I don’t think that’s humanly possible with a perfectly cooked t-bone.

Resting red meat is so, so, so important.

Also,

I used to make a really complicated rub for my steaks.

Ran out and bought this one day: http://www.clubhouse.ca/en/products/detail.aspx?Montreal_Steak_spice_seasoning&id=0cfde7d7-22c9-402d-9831-d05c47b033b5

Never made my own rub again. Its fantastic.

Apply 1 hour before cooking.

Also,

“La Grille? What the hell is that?” – Homer Simpson

The Great One: Depends on Snow.

If they have the NYI pick I think they take Ekblad and a C.

Their C depth is already decent with:

Hodgson

Grigerenko

Girgensons

Ennis

Adam

Mitchell

Konopka

I expect they’ll end up with both a D and a C in the top 5.

Unless Snow is crazy….which he might be.

Not an Actual NHL C among them.

Hodgson is close, but still young.

Oilers during the tank had better C’s.

Kids, has-beens and never-was is not good C depth.

120. anonymous says:

Talking to some Leaf/Marlie fans recently has reinforced my dislike for Eakins. They claim Eakins did poor work with young players and some like Gardiner regressed playing for him during the lockout. Relying way too heavily on AHL veterans and limiting icetime of his young players for questionable reasons. Even in the AHL. Looking over the rosters they were heavily veteran laden teams which makes me wonder why Mact thought he was the coach for young players? As far as I can tell all of the young players save Marincin have regressed under Eakins.

If the Islanders pick is in the top three, I think the Islanders keep it, and give Buffalo the 2015 pick.

Bird in the hand. 100% of Bennett or Reinhart or Ekblad and one year of opportunity cost is worth more probably than a 5-15% chance at McDavid/Eichel.

If it was between #4-7, it would have been a tough decision whether to defer or not. It looks like they will top #3.

The only risk for the Sabres, Oilers, and Islanders to the top three is if a higher finishing team wins the lottery.

122. Pouzar says:

I don’t why and I don’t any real rational reasons for feeling this way but Leon Draisaitl scares the living crap out of me in a bad way. I hear things like he’s big and doesn’t use his size or isn’t over physical and he doesn’t compete as hard all the time etc.

Now this is just stuff I HEAR. Not my scouting report. IMO we have too many Flat Liner personalities on this team especially in the high end talent area. At times it seems they are a tad too comfy with losing. It’s why I want Bennett if Ekblad and Reinhart are gone.

I need the Leon Draisaitl guys to talk me off the ledge!

If one looks at the rolling 10-game averages for Fenwick close and PDO, arguably, Eakins and things are getting worse, and not better.

PDO can hide a lot of sins in the short term. Right?

Early in the season, PDO amplified how bad Eakins as a coach was. Currently, it is severely attenuating how bad Eakins is.

124. rickithebear says:

@PHX
    ANA
    col
    LAK
    VCR

Godot:
    we could get as little as 8 pts over the rest of the season.

Bye Mr. Aekins!

Hello Mr. Nelson!

125. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:

Pros
    Great, great vision, he sees the ice extremely well
    Good size and he uses his body to protects the puck well
    Smart player
    Great hands

Cons
    Does not use size very much as regards to physicality and engaging opponents
    Skating is average
    Once moving he can accelerate decently, but his first step quickness needs improvement

He has even said that it took some time to get used to physicality and quickness of the North American game. He is still learning how to use his body and play the North American game. I don’t know if he will be the big tough center that the oilers will be looking for, but if he works on his skating and quickness, he will be a fine player.

126. gcw_rocks says:

godot10,

Thanks for this. Interesting. Smoke and mirrors streak the Oilers get that deluded manager into thinking the team is better than really is. Happened around the deadline last year and again this year. If oiler management gets fooled again, shame on them.

127. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: From what I have seen from Draistl when watching him live here in Saskatoon when PA comes to play

Pros
    Great, great vision, he sees the ice extremely well
    Good size and he uses his body to protects the puck well
    Smart player
    Great hands

Cons
    Does not use size very much as regards to physicality
    Skating is average

He has even said that it took some time to get used to physicality and quickness of the North American game.He is still learning how to use his body and play the North American game.I don’t know if he will be the big tough center that the oilers will be looking for, but if he works on his skating and quickness, he will be a fine player.

Just watched his highlight package twice. I would say you are spot on. I think he does use his size well to protect the puck. I think that’s what I was trying to say when I was referring to him using his size. My only concern was he does look a tad slow but his “up to speed” gear is decent. He kinda reminds me of Malkin a little bit.

128. frjohnk says:

For those wondering
    Leon Draisaitl is

Ranked No 2 in the NHL draft rankings for North American skaters.
    Ranked No 11 on Craigs ( Button) list ( Jan 15th)
    Ranked No 6 on Bob Mckenizies mid term list. ( 42 points in 21 games since that ranking)
    Ranked No 11 on ISS rankings from Feb 14th.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius: Not Barkov, Monahan. History (at least the little that there is so far!) suggests he was the second best C in the 2013 draft, just as I suspect Draisaitl will be in the 2014 draft.

Barkov is almost an entire year younger than Monahan, has roughly the same points as him in the NHL this year and the Vollman thinks much, much better of Barkov:

too early to know for sure, but I don’t see anything to suggest Monahan has leapfrogged the rankings from last year.

130. Pouzar says:

Wow Sam Bennett’s highlight reel is sick. He reminds me a bit of a Duchene like player who will score the crazy individual highlight reel goal. Crazy top end skill skill with speed. Not sure how this will translate to the NHL against bigger/faster defenders. DrySaddle seems to be a guy who has a more pro style game right now(whatever that means) and would be able to slow the game down and think the game at an elite level.

I am no scout and this is only based on youtube highlight packages. I have no clue about either player’s defensive/ 200 ft game. Maybe someone with more knowledge can pipe up regarding that.

131. Captain Smarmy says:

Bennett’s the man.

132. RexLibris says:

I’m going to stick with Reinhart as the best C in the draft this year based on his ppg and the fact that he’s been an integral part of his team’s offense essentially since he was late into his 16-year old season.

Bennett and Draisaitl might be to Reinhart what Duchene was to Tavares in his draft year, or Couturier has become to Nugent-Hopkins. Really nice consolation prize, but just not quite as good.

Truth be told, just the fact that we’re not certain if the Oilers even draft in the top two says that they may have improved.

How is that for lowering fan expectations?

godot10:

PDO can hide a lot of sins in the short term.Right?

Early in the season, PDO amplified how bad Eakins as a coach was.Currently, it is severely attenuating how bad Eakins is.

There’s no question they are riding hot goaltending.

Toronto West.

These games were bough and paid for when they outshot teams and lost earlier in the year due to shitty goaltending.

Not happy with their Fenclose trend at all.

I think better D will help.

134. Gi JQE says:

Hey just curious what everyone thinks. I feel that we are fine as long as we pick top five…

Ekblad
    Draisailt
    Bennett
    Rienheart

And Richie. As he is a nuce fit.

But top four for sure is safe I think. Thoughts ?

135. frjohnk says:

Gi JQE:
    Hey just curious what everyone thinks.I feel that we are fine as long as we pick top five…

Ekblad
    Draisailt
    Bennett
    Rienheart

And Richie. As he is a nuce fit.

But top four for sure is safe I think. Thoughts ?

Yeah, I agree, top four is pretty safe. And with 1D, 3 C in the top 4. Exactly what the oilers need. But I hope the oilers entertain the thought of trading their top pick in a package for a young center that can play ( maybe Courtier). Draft is being held in Philly. They might be willing to do it.

So what if the oilers first pick isn’t until 100 + in this draft. We have enough prospects in the cupboard. We need ready nhl players that will make a difference.

136. frjohnk says:

My idea of bold moves that MacT could do is use

-2014 top pick
    -Eberle
    -Gagner plus prospect ( Lander, Klefbom) might have to retain some of Gagners salary for two years.

as trade chips to bring in

- a top pairing D man
    - the number 2 C we need
    - a 2RW that is tough to play against that also has some skill

To move this rebuild further, MacT HAS to be bold. The present path is painfully slow.

137. FastOil says:

frjohnk:

Skating is average

I am always wary of skating issues. Killer at the NHL level.

138. frjohnk says:

FastOil: I am always wary of skating issues. Killer at the NHL level.

Yes, but skating can be worked on. His strengths of vision and playmaking ability are at the top of this draft class. Harder to learn those abilities.

139. theres oil in virginia says:

Thanks guys, for all the steak discussion and tips, and thanks Woodguy for the tip about the Montreal Steak Spice. It’s inspired me to grill steak this evening and try out the spice as a rub. (Incidentally, “Club House” is the Canada version of McCormick. The nearly equivalent stuff here appears to be “McCormick Grill Mates” Montreal Steak Seasoning. I’ll give it a whirl.)

140. russ99 says:

gogliano: I assume the theory is this:

New arena has far greater revenue opportunities than old due to various features of the arena (luxury seats, etc. etc.).A winning team with star players makes more money than a losing one, even if all the seats are full in the old arena, because it increases the ability to demand premium pricing (especially during playoff runs).Ergo, a loser season in Northlands, if it contributes to future success (and particularly to success that wouldn’t be achieved without the tank / elite players like Reinhart), will be more than compensated for by a winning team in a higher revenue arena.

In short, the cost of tanking is lower now because of Northlands and it increases once we hit the new arena with its moneymaking devices, so on a cost/benefit analysis the tank comes out in the black over the long haul only because of the reduced cost (i.e., reduced lost revenue).Conversely, you could say that under this theory it might not make sense to ever tank if you were always in the new arena because you’d be losing too much cash for it to be worth it.

It makes sense if the numbers work out, but they probably don’t.

That’s only half of it. And it doesn’t include the revenue that Northlands gets for the current arena that Katz would get in the new one, such as parking.

The other half: Playoff revenue is a huge cash cow for ownership. The Blackhawks were likely looking at a loss had they lost in the first round, Winning the cup put them way in the black.

Thusly, Katz could drastically maximize any playoff revenue if it happens in the new arena vs. the old one.

That’s pretty much the gist, Katz could make a lot more cash in the new building if we contend then he could get in the current building.