BLOOM IS OFF THE ROSE

Mike Bloom was a guy I followed from the day he was drafted. A big guy, Bloom was drafted at the end of the first round (1972) by the Boston Bruins following their second Stanley Cup victory in two seasons. Bloom had an opportunity with the Bruins because of the expansion draft that summer, and the WHA raids that were happening. Boston lost Daniel Bouchard and Eddie Westfall in the expansion draft (they got killed) and then watched as Gerry Cheevers, Johnny McKenzie, Derek Sanderson and Ted Green jumped to the WHA.

Mike Bloom was a left-winger, but none of the LW’s (Wayne Cashman, Johnny Bucyk, Mike Walton, Garnet Bailey, Don Marcotte) went anywhere. THAT was bad damn luck for Bloom, and he ended up toiling in the minors until the 1974 expansion draft. bloom

Bloom was selected by Washington (ironically by Milt Schmidt, who was the Boston GM the day he let Dan Bouchard go) and was on to Detroit by the time 1975 saw spring. He would play just over 200 games in the NHL, none in the WHA. For the era, that’s not an impressive return on a first round selection.

Anton Lander doesn’t have much on his resume that suggests he’ll score in the NHL. Now, we know the AHL offense is a tell that Lander does have offensive talent, but he’s been playing with skill of late in the NHL (these injuries have been timely) and still has only one point.

lander player card mar 21Mike Bloom was blocked by a mile of fine LW’s, Lander has very little in his way. The young man’s two-way game has a great rep and there are some underlying numbers of interest, but we’re almost five years into the investment, the entry level deal is done, and we’re still wondering:

• if he has the foot speed for the job
  • if there’s enough offense even for a support role

I can get behind his career being handled poorly at 2011 TC (he needed to go to OKC), but this is serious stuff here. The Edmonton Oilers need 12 good forwards who can do the job beginning in the fall and Anton Lander’s audition this year (to date) is no screaming hell. IS Anton Lander’s defense and penalty killing good enough to warrant a roster spot despite hitting below the Mendoza line?

Those AHL numbers tease like mad, but as an NHL player I don’t think we should be terribly surprised if the Oilers walk Lander this summer. There are 11 games left to change minds.

75 Responses to "BLOOM IS OFF THE ROSE"

1. AZOIL says:

Why don’t they play him all 11 games! I feel like a game here and there never allows him to settle in!

2. theres oil in virginia says:

I’d give him a one year, one-way deal for low dollars. He’s no worse than Ryan Jones (who needs to move on) on the bottom of the roster. If you have to send him down, no big deal.

3. ididtheiggy says:

We keep hearing talk about Pitlick making the jump. Besides size, does he have anything on Lander?

ididtheiggy:

5. KSC10032 says:

LT — as a fellow old-timer, remember Ray Cote?

I like Lander, so I hope I’m wrong, but there are parallels — JMO.

The bloom would not be off Lander’s rose in the Red Wing’s organization. It would just be budding.

He’s better than a point a game player in the AHL at the expiry of his ELC, after being mishandled.

Look at the equivalent prospect drafted 3 years earlier by Detroit, Cory Emmerton. Has Ken Holland dumped Emmerton on the scrap heap?

For that matter, look at a lot of Grand Rapids Griffins.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“but he’s been playing with skill of late in the NHL (these injuries have been timely) and still has only one point.”

We’re talking 4 games here, right? During which he looked an awful lot like he scored a goal and last night was within inches of another. If he’s 2-1-3 after 4 games is he a stone cold lock?

I think we need some sample size perspective — and need to hope MacT allows for some. If he’s going to bet on the Joensuus, Joneses, Ryan Hamiltons, etc. I rather he bet on Lander thank you.

For a team that needs some defensive help all over… Lander makes too much sense. So does playing him with Smyth and Pitlick on the 4th line next year.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia:
    I’d give him a one year, one-way deal for low dollars.He’s no worse than Ryan Jones (who needs to move on) on the bottom of the roster.If you have to send him down, no big deal.

he’s waiver eligible next year.

But, yea.. lower risk, higher upside than Jones, Jonesuu etc.

9. 106 and 106 says:

Refresh my memory – what’s the mendoza line?

10. VanOil says:

Is he not a One-Way player if he can’t piss a drop on offence? Kind of like the anti-Gagner. I hope he pots a couple goals down the stretch to keep/earn his job.

I would love Lander to center a kid line next year with Pitlick, Arco, 1st round pick and OKC Coke Machine de jour. Gordon and Hendricks can anchor and Shut Down line giving easy zone starts the the 2nd line and easy comp to the kid line. The top line should fend for itself.

Sure a Kid line structured this way would not be as good at face punching as the Oilers seems to like but it could prove a breading ground for players that can one day play up the line up. With Lander himself filling in on the Shut Down line and being groomed to one day take over for Gordon who won’t last forever. If Lander can take over from Gordon in a couple years and in the mean time keep the 4th line from sucking the hind banana that is a useful player.

11. Ribs says:

I liked Eakins quote the other day. “Lander has to be able to play center, left wing, right wing, defence, backup goalie, kill penalties, score on the powerplay, fill the water bottles and veggie trays, press my short-shorts, keep the bench warm, tape Hall’s stick before every game, make the swarm work, and teach the whole team Swedish, to stay in the NHL.” Or something like that.

Not much to see so far, but maybe experience will be the magic ingredient.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Neal ‏@tweetneal 55s
    So indeed the rumors were true, no Arcobello no Horak in tonight’s #okcbarons lineup. Miller & Lavoie fill spots. Okay.

may explain why Horak also wasn’t called up other day. I knew about Arco… but Horak too… yikes! Good thing Miller is finally ready to go. (lavoie is a on a PTO, just signed. from the CHL… the other one)

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

106 and 106:
    Refresh my memory – what’s the mendoza line?

(not really related)

this is:

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ooph!

OKC Barons Gameday ‏@BaronsGameDay 2m
    Tonight’s #OKCBarons lines (LW-C-RW): Eager-Acton-Kessy; Fyten-Stretch-A, Miller; Combs-G. Miller-Pinizzotto; Curtis Hamilton-Lavoie-Ford

So Lander has had 4 games, with different linemates in all four games, and three different positions, right.

He has one assist, and he contributed significantly to the goal which was credited to him.

16. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: he’s waiver eligible next year.

But, yea.. lower risk, higher upside than Jones, Jonesuu etc.

Yeah, I know, but if you’re waiving him, and someone else claims him, they take his one-way contract too, so no big deal – and if someone beats him out, great. What you said about Joensuu, et al is a more completely stated version of what I was implying by referencing Jones. If you give those guys contracts, you ought to be willing to give one (for less money) to a guy who came up through your system and is no worse than they are, with upside. As long as the bottom six is not filled with “Lander”s, it should be fine. I like the go-to-the-net attitude that he’s shown. I’m sure it’s not lost on MacT.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Yeah, I know, but if you’re waiving him, and someone else claims him, they take his one-way contract too, so no big deal – and if someone beats him out, great.What you said about Joensuu, et al is a more completely stated version of what I was implying by referencing Jones.If you give those guys contracts, you ought to be willing to give one (for less money) to a guy who came up through your system and is no worse than they are, with upside.As long as the bottom six is not filled with “Lander”s, it should be fine.I like the go-to-the-net attitude that he’s shown.I’m sure it’s not lost on MacT.

Cool. I just meant you can’t just “send him down” cause he will most certainly be claimed. Though if they aren’t sure about signing him, but recognize that… the risk should be even lower.

The thing about low risk in house moves is MacT has shown a willingness to part with pieces (Hartikainen, Rajala, Horcoff, Hemsky) who in one way or another could help for “let’s move on” reasons (of various description)

I think the Hartikainen for Joensuu moves show that he seems more willing to take a chance on the devil he doesn’t know than the devil he does. I think this stems from LT’s idea about new GMs having no attachment to previous players/prospects.

KSC10032:
    LT — as a fellow old-timer, remember Ray Cote?

I like Lander, so I hope I’m wrong, but there are parallels — JMO.

I think the comp probably works on footspeed, I don’t honestly recall Cote’s rep defensively but most prospects didn’t have Lander’s. But yeah, I see what you’re saying.

Romulus Apotheosis: e

Romulus Apotheosis:

I don’t think the Oilers see it that way. This is the time, just as it was for Harski one year ago under the same GM.

106 and 106:
    Refresh my memory – what’s the mendoza line?

21. Spydyr says:

If you have to as the question you already know the answer.Lander is not the answer for what ails this team.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Spydyr:

if you pose all roster decisions in this manner, you are going to be a very disappointed fan.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I agree. And, I think it will be another mistake… a big one.

After that, all I can hope for is that MacT gets on with cleaning house so we can all move on.

24. KSC10032 says:

I was thinking more along the lines of a guy with a good minor league resume, who was given the #3 centre job at the time (after debuting in the previous years’ playoff, performing pretty well in a purely defensive role (14 gp, 5 pts)).

Cote played the first 13 games of the following season, looking fine to the eye, but scoring exactly ZERO points. He was sent down, and never resurfaced at the NHL level.

Basically, he looked the part, but there was no results posted. Similarly, Lander “looks” OK, but, sooner or later, one has to wonder.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong, because this is a likeable kid.

25. theres oil in virginia says:

I think Lander’s already done more that Hartski did during has last audition, which is nothing. But, I agree, it may not be enough. In a way, that’s good – it means MacT fills the spot with someone better. However, if he slots Ryan Jones in and doesn’t sign Lander, I think that’s stupid.

26. Hammers says:

Lowetide: Pitlick plays a more physical game. Beyond that, Lander is certainly the better prospect imo but he needs to prove it.

27. KSC10032 says:

Hammers,

I totally agree with you, but, unfortunately for Anton, the “1 spot” he’s best suited for is already amply filled by Gordon.

Hammers: Sorry LT but Pitlick showed nothing last night and once again Lander has been a center on 2nd line ; R & L wing and a Center on the 4th line . For me Eakins saying he needs to play every position isn’t much different from how he was handled in his first year . Just my opinion but play him in 1 spot if you want a true evaluation .

Yeah, I don’t really have a horse in the race (I like both of them) but for me Lander playing 18 and Pitlick 10 minutes is a tell, too.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stretch (Fyten)

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t completely agree.

I think they probably have Lander and Arco up for the utility forward slot next year. That is the spare C, 13th forward who can play just about anywhere.

I’ll take it, if that means giving Lander an NHL job with the Oilers. I’d give it to Arco too.

A 4th line that revolves around Arco, Lander, Smyth, Pitlick and Gazdic won’t upset me. Not one bit. How Eakins used it (too much Gazdic) would probably piss me off though.

31. dangilitis says:

I read your article LT, then got sidetracked.

They called it a ridiculous dangle. Not the case when you always have dangilitis…

Roy and Nurse with assists tonight.

33. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: A 4th line that revolves around Arco, Lander, Smyth, Pitlick and Gazdic won’t upset me. Not one bit.

So, this implies a 3rd line of Gordon, Hendricks, and X. How does that suit you?

34. rich says:

Finding myself agreeing a lot today w/Godot 10 – this time on Lander.

Kid has come back up, had a good game against Carolina (originally credited w/a goal – then removed), an assist against Nashville and then last night a meh game against Buffalo – which was standard for almost all forwards not named Hall.

I agree he has to prove himself in this turn and so far he’s deserving of the opportunity. Would be very disappointed if MacT walked away from him this summer. He’s shown he can do the job at the AHL, and I think can be a utility forward, moving up and down between the 3rd and 4th line and killing penalties in the Show.

Give the man a chance.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: So, this implies a 3rd line of Gordon, Hendricks, and X.How does that suit you?

I’d prefer Hendricks on the 4th. But they clearly have him penciled in on the 3rd.

If he’s got one of Moss, Kulemin or Winnik with him… I’ll make my peace with it.

plus I think there is a good chance one of those other guys can spot in. (notably Arco or Lander)

36. stevezie says:

theres oil in virginia,

I feel very comfortable with Arco as the back-up plan if we don’t get Daniel Winnik for the 3rd line wing. Very comfortable.

However, as has been stated, one gets the impression MacT does not.

37. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

stevezie,

I like that 3rd. If the other guy could bring some offence, then Gordon is steady and Hendricks is prickly. Good mix. I doubt they put Arco there due to his size. Lander (so far) isn’t bringing much offense, but I haven’t given up hope. I think that’s where he belongs (with those two guys) for the remainder of this season.

38. stevezie says:

theres oil in virginia,

I get the argument that Arco wasn’t right for the top 6 because it is already so small, but I think he looks fine beside Gordon and Hendrix, doesn’t he? Hendrix balances him out just fine. In the very least he is a fine placeholder until someone else forces the issue.

Letting what appears to be a good NHLer go for nothing because he is not the exact kind of NHLer you want is not a luxury this team has.

Is it? Can we assume we’ll find the 3rd line winger we want as a UFA?

39. Spydyr says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Going to be?

If you are not already a disappointed fan you just don’t understand the game.

40. digdeepnbleedblue says:

On Pitlick’s game:

Overall, game one on his 2nd call up was a quiet game.

However, he plays ten minutes in his first NHL game in months and he apparently “showed nothing.” From my vantage point he was coming on towards the end of the game. Attacking more on the forecheck. Maybe he was getting more comfortable? Up to speed?

But, no, he should just jump in and play like Hall. Lets give the young lad a few before we send him to the gallows. No?

If he fails, and many prospects do, the haters can call loudly for his head. I’d bet against that, though.

What’s the saying around here? Because Oilers. How about because Oilers’ fans?

41. theres oil in virginia says:

stevezie:
    theres oil in virginia,

Is it? Can we assume we’ll find the 3rd line winger we want as a UFA?

Three centers on one line? Can we handle that so soon? Heheh.

I think Arco plays with enough grit that he could pull it off. The problem I run into when thinking about all of these marginal guys (Lander, Pitlick, Arco, etc) is that if you have too many, you end up playing playing out the string come March-April. Bottom of the roster forwards aren’t what killed this team this year, but they didn’t help much either.

42. VanOil says:

Tonight i am coming close to cheering for the Flames, in order to make tomorrows beat down by the Oilers more guilt free draft wise.

43. hunter1909 says:

Yikes.

44. hunter1909 says:

I hate Lander as much as anybody here; but give the guy 15 games before you all start loading your hunting shotguns.

If he’s really coming to the end of his contract and in any circumstance could be lost, well wouldn’t that just tie in beautifully with Hemsky’s woeful 3rd round + retain salary trade.

Anton “The future captain of the Oilers” Lander. For this moniker alone he deserves a video tribute.

I’m just a slob who just doesn’t get how perfectly good hockey assets can routinely be squandered. It’s almost like the team is run by people who are unqualified or something.

45. hunter1909 says:

Saturday’s game should have me cheering for a loss and a win at the same time. OT points welcome only for Calgary, lol.

I fear both teams are too pathetic to seriously get worked up over.

A regulation loss would be enormous for the final standings viz the flames, I’ll be honest and say i don’t care whether the oilers win or lose, since I want the coach fired and that’s never going to happen until next November when the season will be all but lost.

46. sliderule says:

Dal Colle with a 2-3 -5 pt night in opening playoff win.
    Reinhart also had a great night in opening win against Calgary.
    The playoffs often confirm the scouts thoughts on players.If oilers happen to move up it looks like DalColle would be a great consolation prize.

47. hunter1909 says:

stevezie:
    theres oil in virginia,

However, as has been stated, one gets the impression MacT does not.

Yeah right. Too small for the NHL runt who just got himself injured down on the farm, ffs.

On second thought: Why worry about other people’s contrary ideas? It’s not like management is fixing anything, what with Eakins glaring and yelling no matter what the situation.

Eakins would have gotten fragged in Nam. I can see Eberle and Hall tossing grenades into his window at 3 in the morning.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Spydyr:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Going to be?

If you are not already a disappointed fan you just don’t understand the game.

I’m blissfully enjoying destruction, aren’t you. I gave up disappointment years ago.

And, I still manage not to hold relatively minor (though important all the same) roster decisions to some all-or-nothing standard.

49. Marcus Oilerius says:

At least we don’t have Mike Cammalleri problems. Dogs it most of the year despite it being a contract year, trade deadline passes by, and now he scores his 8th goal in his last 10 games.

50. sliderule says:

I never expected anything from Lander so I am not disappointed.

He is a mid second round pick who never projected to score and doesn’t have the foot speed to be a great defender.

We had a way better option than him in Cogliano and we gave him away for magic beans.

51. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

We’re gonna pull a Daniel Cleary here aren’t we? If some can rationalize being patient for an offensive player like Gagner to eventually grasp defense (after like forever), why can’t we be patient for a defensive player like Lander to establish offence? The man has done it at every level to date. You win cups with depth players like this, not Gagner’s.

52. stevezie says:

theres oil in virginia,

100% agree- it doens’t make sense to give a guy a bunch of chances because he could be an NHLer if someone just believed in him. We’re talking about professionals, not Christmas trees, so by all means get a sure thing.

That said, I think there are two good arguments in favour of Arcobello: 1) In order to succeed under a cap you need value contracts, which usually means putting a couple of marginal players in the position to fly or fall, and 2) I think Arco has already shown he is an NHL player, which puts him a gigantic notch above Pitlick and Lander.

I think MacT disagrees with me on 2, but I really don’t know why. He killed penalties, he won faceoffs and he produced pretty great 5×5 offense. Even if you think he is too small for this team, I still don’t think letting him walk is the Pollock move.

What does Brandon Pirri have that Arcobello doesn’t?

53. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Named after Mario Mendoza, the Mendoza line is the exact point where a stellar defensive player hits so poorly that a reasonable team can’t make him an everyday player

In best Lionel Hutz voice “Helllloooo Garth Snow!”

54. sliderule says:

I would guess that Lander is up on a trial to decide whether they give him a one way contract or Arco.

I would think Arco wins out.

55. theres oil in virginia says:

stevezie,

Yeah, I think the two guys you give chances to are Arco and Lander. Pitlick has a total of 33 points in 106 AHL games. That doesn’t scream Oilers! to me. Well, wait…

As far as MacT’s view of Arco, we’ve gotten mixed signals. Wasn’t it Arco who MacT vouched for to get a callup late last year? I’m not sure he’s written him off yet. Also, I don’t think NHL clubs are lining up to sign the guy either. I only say that to emphasize that he’s not exactly in the driver’s seat when it comes to getting a contract. Someone may be out there waiting to snatch him, but that someone may not be a better option than the Oilers for Arco. I forget how his status works. He’s RFA but can opt for UFA? I bet they give him an offer, but low dollars and one-way.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OKC loses in OT to a very good Stars team. Get a point. Could be big down the stretch.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cal loses a close one. Damn.

58. VanOil says:

Joanne Ireland has Gadzook pushing for more ice time. Let the OTC tank battle commence. Some times I feel Hunter is running this team while sipping Brandy with Vince McMahon. Vince keeps all the believable story lines.

59. dangilitis says:

Speaking of scouting reports lately, why does the NBA seem to predict their superstars so much more consistently?

Of the top 20 NBA scorers, only 3 are NOT top 10 draft picks. Of these 3, 1 was taken 15th overall, and only 2 in the 2nd round. Contrast that to NHL top 20 scorers, where you find 7 taken outside of the top 10 draft picks – of these, there are 3 late 1st round picks, a 3rd round, a 5th round, and a 7th round pick, and of course, one undrafted little son of a gun.

60. DBO says:

Since goalie has been clearly upgraded to a strength, do we go all in on a 1 year turnaround? It may be a few too many MaiTai’s talking but is there any way we pull off the Greatest turnaround ever!

Trade Gagner and Gernat and a 2nd for Eric Staal.
    Trade Klefbom and other prospect for Mark Staal
    Trade 1st rd pick for Tyler Myers
    Sign Kulemin

Carolina sheds salary, adds multiple pieces
    Rangers move a future UFA for high end prospect
    Buffalo goes full rebuild

Hall-Staal-Eberle
    Kulemin-Nuge-Yakupov
    Perron-Gordon-Hendricks
    Smyth-Lander-Pitlick
    Gazdic-Arcobello

Staal-Myers
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Fraser/Fedun

We go all in. Klefbom is moveable due to Nurse in 1 year plus Marincins development. Myers solidifies Right side for min 5 years. Staal is huge for the forward group, making centre a strength. Lander is ready for NHL job. 4 actual lines of NHL players with Arcobello ready to step in anywhere. And a true top 2 dmen allowing the rest to play where they should.

I like rum.

61. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10:

^^^This^^^

Lander may not quite be a jack of all trades, but he’s a 6 of one trade, a 7 of another, and a 9 of a third.

62. Thinker says:

And yet hendricks is considered a mainstay. Lunacy up in the tower.

63. fifthcartel says:

VanOil,

Just read it, and saw Gazdic say he wants to kill penalties. Eakins, please don’t let Gazdic kill penalties.

64. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:
    VanOil,

I think somebody told Gazdic there’s a Flame named Penalties who said something disparaging about his mother.

65. G Money says:

Hey y’all …

Just doing some late night number crunching (it’s what I do). For the hardcore numbers nerds among you, thought you might find the following Excel spreadsheet interesting (you can download from http://snk.to/f-ct90102f – yes, the link is safe, it’s a filesharing service called filesnack.com).

The analysis of what I was noodling on is as follows:

Basic Question: For any given game performance, how likely (or unlikely) is it that a goalie of a particular skill level could have played that well (or poorly) that particular game?

The conclusions I draw from my analysis (the following text is from and in the context of the spreadsheet itself):

A few games are highlighted below. For example, Dubnyk’s opening game (and stretch of games) was so bad that even if we were to assume that he’ll be a career .900 goalie, that first was a game that a .900 goalie would pitch < 9% of the time, < 6% he would do worse, and would do better fully 86% of the time! Astonishingly bad in other words.

Conversely, that incredible game that Bachman played against LA, even assuming he's a .900 career goalie (likely), you can see that although a goalie of that ilk would do worse 96% of the time, such a game would/could still happen about 3.4% of the time – rare but far from inconceivable or impossible.

Contrast that with Scrivens' game against the Sabres, where basically, if he's a .920 goalie, that's a typical night for a goalie of that calibre.

And lastly, Scrivens' miraculous game against San Jose – the way you can read this is that, if he's a career .920 goalie (lofty given that's close to the all-time career best of Hasek's .922), that's the kind of game that you'd see about 7 times in a 1000 game career. (Here's hoping those games and that career are with the Oilers)

66. vangolf says:

DBO,

DBO:

Trade Gagner and Gernat and a 2nd for Eric Staal

Carolina sheds salary, adds multiple pieces

Rum or no rum, this is just silly.

67. jp says:

digdeepnbleedblue:
    On Pitlick’s game:

Overall, game one on his 2nd call up was a quiet game.

What’s the saying around here? Because Oilers. How about because Oilers’ fans?

I think everyone’s pulling for Pitlick to be a player. The issue is that he’s shown so little to this point in his pro career. In 3 AHL seasons he’s got an overall PPG of 0.38, and is at 0.59 PPG this year in by far his best season. Maybe he can do it, but he’s not projecting like a guy who can play above the 4th line in the NHL.

You’re right that deciding his fate after last nights game isn’t fair, but I also think he deserves a lot less rope than some others due to his weak track record so far. As I said, I hope he can do something useful, I’m just not betting that it’ll happen.

68. jp says:

dangilitis:

A big part of it is that the NBAers are generally older, more mature and closer to their finished project on draft day.

69. BeerLeagueHero says:

To me I think that Anton Lander could be to the Oilers what Frans Nielsen is to the Islanders. A dependable 2/3C that specializes in special teams. He’s done one thing that Hartikainen and Omark didn’t do and that has been keeping his mouth shut and just playing the game. I think that Mac-T would see that as something of value and be willing to offer him a one-way deal.

LT, do you think that EDM would slot Lander in at 3C and move Gordon down to 4C? I think it’d be the other way around given the pay grades of each player. I ask only because I’m curious what the Oilers have in mind for their bottom 6. Would it be beneficial to have Gordon and Hendricks playing with Gazdic or a player like Tyler Pitlick or a UFA signing like Nikolai Kulemin/Leo Komarov?

70. BeerLeagueHero says:

DBO:

Trade Gagner and Gernat and a 2nd for Eric Staal.
    Trade Klefbom and other prospect for Mark Staal
    Trade 1st rd pick for Tyler Myers
    Sign Kulemin

Carolina sheds salary, adds multiple pieces
    Rangers move a future UFAfor high end prospect
    Buffalo goes full rebuild

Hall-Staal-Eberle
    Kulemin-Nuge-Yakupov
    Perron-Gordon-Hendricks
    Smyth-Lander-Pitlick
    Gazdic-Arcobello

Staal-Myers
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Fraser/Fedun

I like rum.

Indeed it seems like you’ve taken a liking to the rum….

Staal maybe rumored to go but CAR would need to effectively replace him with an offensive centerman. Gagner does not address that.

Klefbom and “other prospects” doesn’t cut it. Sather’d be asking for Eberle and/or Yakupov to start then add Klefbom and “other prospects”.

If Myers can be had for a 1st rounder only… That might be something worth taking a look at. EDM perhaps passes on a future top pairing dman in the shea weber mould or a future 1/2C in Draisaitl or Bennett but shoring up the defense should be priority no.1

71. stephen sheps says:

Apropos of nothing in this conversation, here is my poorly articulated (compared to Bruce’s recent work) scouting report on Bennett.

First things first, I want to preface my review by saying that I think he’s a very good player, but I truly believe he is not what the Oilers need after watching him play last night. That being said, Sam Bennett can do a lot of things very very well at the OHL level.

Upside: He takes draws (but not always), he has very good vision and speed, will take a hit to make a play and is really feisty in the Perron, pest-like way of being feisty. He also plays the point on the PP and seems to have a strong, accurate but not overly heavy shot. He always seems to want the puck, which leads to risk/reward type plays. He can also play a tonne of minutes.

Downsides: He makes great passes in the offensive zone, but his ability to break out of the D-zone is suspect. He back-checks, but not not all that well. The fact that he always wants the puck leads to poor decisions with it. He also seems to use that typical Oilers-esque style of toe drag, outside/inside the defender move that so many top-flight OHL players use at that level but the Oilers players seem to try in every game. He’s 6’1 and plays with an edge, but he’s also reckless and aggressive. He recently came off a pretty lengthy suspension and the penalty he took last night made me think of Ethan Moreau in its overly aggressive stupidity. That might be something to watch for. It could speak to a lack of maturity (I get it, he’s just a kid), but it could also be a part of his game that might not get coached out of him. For a while I thought his high PIMs was a positive given the Oilers need for a physical Centre, but after watching him last night I am not so sure.

Summary: He’s a great player and it makes sense that he’s in the conversation for #1OV and the Oilers, but when he’s not stupidly hitting things, he’s more of a slightly more physical RNH than anything else, but I think he’s got less upside. My uneducated instincts (from a hockey perspective that is) tell me he’s not the answer. Is he a great player at his level? yes. Is he the big 2C with grit and skill to help the Oilers down the road? I’m not so sure.

72. Big Dan says:

BeerLeagueHero,

Boyd Gordon can play RW. It’s not a matter of demoting him to the 4th line if Lander delivers. Gordon is the 3rd line – they are looking to pieces to fit with him (Arco, Lander, Hendricks, Clifford?, Gazdic- snort KIDDING).

If Lander does have an impressive audition here like we all hope for, then he gets to play on the 3rd line WITH Gordon. Or at least make the squad as the 4C with Smytty/Gazdic and Arco/Pitlick.

I don’t think MacT is cutting bait with Lander or Arcobello this summer. They’ll both get cheap, one-way deals next year and be waived if it doesn’t work out. MacT, unlike Tambi, is not afraid to lose non-producers on waivers and flip lowly draft picks (or garbage like Dubnyk, Hartikainen) to fill a need.

There is a theme in all the trade rumors, whether it’s the Staals or Myers or Markov or Clifford or Josi. MacT wants a scoring center, 3rd line winger, and top pairing D. Not a big overhaul like this year; the 4th line will shake out from the prospects (Arco, Lander, Pitlick, Horak) + Smytty & Gazdic.

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    2C ACQUISITION (Grabovski?)- Perron – Yakupov= may be dealt
    Gordon-Hendricks – 3W ACQUISITION (Clifford?)
    Lander/Arco/Pitlick-Smyth/Gazdic