DUCKS AT OILERS, G74 13-14

In a season where nothing rhymes, it’s important for the organization to gather up as many positive arrows as possible. The season has been a disaster, but there have been some good things for the organization, players making progress. Here’s my list:

• Taylor Hall is having a career season (66, 25-42-67) and has been healthy.
  • Jordan Eberle is still posting good boxcar numbers (71, 23-32-55) despite a trying season.
  • David Perron (69, 26-25-51) was MacT’s best move last summer and paid dividends in several areas.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins should deliver his best boxcars (71, 16-32-48) despite enduring a difficult year.
  • Boyd Gordon (67, 8-13-21) was an absolute Godsend, the best free-agent signing in a long time.
  • Martin Marincin (35, 0-3-3) arrived ready. It’s a rare thing.
  • Ben Scrivens (15, 2.83 .922) was a very good mid-season pickup and signing.

It’s important to keep these things in mind as we move into summer. This season has been such a disaster that it’s very easy to throw out the baby with the bath water, but there have been holes filled and progress has been made. The problem came from Edmonton’s dire circumstances that occurred from neglect via management’s inertia. Plenty of work to be done this summer, but there have been good things.

ludwig

The Oklahoma City Barons have signed CJ Ludwig to a contract for next season. The story is here. You can also read it here. Ludwig is an interesting prospect and was clearly a major part of his college team when struck by injury in December. I like this kind of signing, low risk and the player clearly has enough talent to push the next level.

simpson9The NCAA tournament sweet 16 gets underway tonight, with Dillon Simpson and UND playing against powerhouse Wisconsin. UND is the #14 seed, Wisconsin #4, but the one thing we know about college hockey is (like basketball) anything can happen. Chris Peters has a brilliant preview of the entire tournament here.

2011 draftTerry Jones writes an article asking if Oilers Nation is hesitant to jump on the ‘be bad for Ekblad’ bandwagon. I think the problem is twofold:

• how many times can you get excited about drafting high? It’s become a sick joke, Edmonton drafting first or third or even sixth. The Oilers themselves stopped the draft party idea a few years back (can’t remember when) because it draws attention to a generation of suck.
  • shame. There’s a certain shame Oiler fans wear these days, the team is the brunt of jokes and honestly it’s difficult to mock other teams and get into the general fun of chiding other fanbases. As an Oiler fan since 1972, I can say this period in fandom has been an exercise in humility—perhaps deserved for my generation who had a ‘cock of the walk’ attitude in the 1980s, but certainly undeserved for anyone under 40.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

scarjo7

A busy Friday, we have some fluidity to the show. 10am TSN 1260, scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. We’ll talk Hall/Eakins, Leafs fail, HNIC/TSN playoff coverage.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. We’ll talk Reinhart v Draisaitl v Ekblad.
  • Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. Oilers-Ducks, Selanne, draft, summer improvements.
  • Jill Horbay, FC Edmonton. Eddies are going to have a big season, we’ll talk offense.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter.

362 Responses to "DUCKS AT OILERS, G74 13-14"

« Older Comments

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

It was a wonderful day .

Teed off at 730with no wind.

Having a glass of wineon the patio before moving in to watch the game.

Nirvana.

2. gvblackhawk says:

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

If we are in the running for McDavid or Eichel it will getreal nastyin oilerville.

Draft Eichel, fire Lowe, burn down Rexall, move into Mr.Roger’s neighbourhood, win Stanley Cup…..?

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

It was a wonderful day .

Teed off at 730with no wind.

Having a glass of wineon the patio before moving in to watch the game.

You close by?

4. gvblackhawk says:

Woodguy: Hope you got your Hep A/B/C shots.

Worth every penny and pain.

If you are getting a Hep C shot, you might want to ask for your money back.

5. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

Mesa.
    This has been the best weather since I started coming here.
    I am going to take my daughter and her children to game next Friday.
    I hope the oilers show up because Coyotes will be all in.

gvblackhawk: If you are getting a Hep C shot, you might want to ask for your money back.

IT HURT LIKE HELL AND THOUGHT THEY PUT THE WHOLE DAMN ALPHABET IN MY ARM!

7. gvblackhawk says:

Woodguy,

C’mon. It’s just a little prick…an Eakins needle, if you will.

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

Mesa.
    This has been the best weather since I started coming here.
    Iam going to take my daughter and her children to game next Friday.
    I hope the oilersshow up because Coyotes will be all in.

Awesome.

Going to the Jets game with my wife and another couple.

Not going to the Oil game…..yet…..

Hbomb will be there in suite with a stag party.

He said renting the suite was less than silver level tickets in EDM.

“Exploring better hockey markets than Edmonton” – Laforge

“Go fuck yourself Patrick” – Reality commenting on better hockey markets than EDM that are available

9. Kris11 says:

Well if they get McDavid that would be nearly league historic failure of that many seasons. That would justify relegation.

“Relegated for McDavid”

10. Lois Lowe says:

gvblackhawk,

Anything to distract me from paper and cover letter writing. Anyone looking for an articling student?

11. gvblackhawk says:

Kris11:

“Relegated for McDavid”

Schultz would just kill it in the AHL.

12. gvblackhawk says:

Lois Lowe,

Maybe “Steve Smith”?

Watching CBJ and want Dubinsky for 2C in EDM.

He’s playing with Calvert and Atkinson so he may be available ( not top 2 lines)

1 year left on the contract.

What do you pay?

14. Kris11 says:

I would be willing to offer an internship doing my laundry, getting me coffee, washing my car, etc. The last guy who was doing it said something about not being a law firm, blah, blah, and quit.

15. Kris11 says:

Unpaid. But you get to put it on your CV and you get to network with the people at the grocery store, laundromat, etc.

16. Kris11 says:

TO-PHI game is fun right now. TO is in playoff mode from here on out, no?

17. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: Your “timeless” post was on this, but much more fleshed out.

Next day or two in line in terms of LT posts or so I hope.

Alright, try this one (I think it’s pretty good even if it’s not the one you’re looking for):

Justin Schultz’s first game with a defensemen with actual NHL potential, and not some 30-something has been (NSchultz or Ference).

19. Ryan says:

Word.

20. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Watching CBJ and want Dubinsky for 2C in EDM.

1 year left on the contract.

What do you pay?

Don’t know, but I’ve been pining for Dubinsky for so long.

21. Ryan says:

Anyone been to the Cove before?

The captain should lead from the pressbox next year, if the Oilers are going to have any chance.

Moreau with the extra 2 minutes.

24. Clay says:

Pretty neat how Gagner waved at Getzlaf, then just stopped skating and watched Banino walk past him.

One year’s experience, seven times.

25. Clay says:

…and he totally redeems himself :)

26. denny33 says:

Kris11,

I spit up my beer at that…..

27. sliderule says:

Clay,

Was that the play were we scored.

What did I miss?

28. Clay says:

sliderule:
    Clay,

Was that the play were we scored.

What did I miss?

Yes, he finished a two-on-one with Perron.

29. Marcus Oilerius says:

Somebody finally lit a fire under Eberle’s ass?

30. vangolf says:

Lois Lowe:
    gvblackhawk,

I’m a partner in a downtown Vancouver firm. Happy to discuss any time.

31. Marcus Oilerius says:

Hey wow, Schultz delivered a hit and then a nifty pass up the ice and off the boards to Hall.

32. 106 and 106 says:

Dubinsky’s 5v5 Save % is 93.4%, with a CF well north of 52%.

*drools* – he would be a “bold” pickup for Mac-T, barring he doesn’t sell the farm to get him.

33. Clay says:

Boy, Marincin is just so fundamentally sound defensively.

34. thejonrmcleod says:

Remember, folks, “The puck does move faster than the players.” That’s what they call expert analysis.

35. Clay says:

Pitlick is becoming more comfortable on that third line. He’s won some 50/50 pucks tonight.

36. Lois Lowe says:

vangolf: I’m a partner in a downtown Vancouver firm. Happy to discuss any time.

My email is lois.lowe79 (at) gmail

37. Clay says:

That Scrivens save was filthy.

38. Andy P says:

Clay:
    That Scrivens save was filthy.

sick

39. Kitchener says:

4-93-14 !!

40. Clay says:

Interesting how you put the Hall-RNH-Eberle line together for two shifts, and they cash.

BTW – was it Woodguy who mentioned a few days ago that he believed Eakins had orders from above to keep Hall away from Eberle and RNH to see what they could do without the Mailman? They sure were apart for a long time.

Some really nice things tonight. Scrivens is lights out, Marincin looks fine fine fine, I’ve liked Klefbom’s game and Schultz too (!!!!!) and of course the skill forwards are playing well. Plenty of good passing, I’ve liked Lander and Pitlick too.

42. Bling says:

The shift right after Eberle’s goal, Klefbom had a real nice sequence where he beat his man to the puck on the side boards and had the presence of mind to outlet to RNH in the slot. They had a nice breakout after that.

Pretty impressive.

43. Andy P says:

What do you think of Belov tonight, LT?

44. Clay says:

Klefbom getting lost on that GA.

45. Bling says:

How is that 4 on 4? Garbage.

46. Clay says:

and Hall gets 2 minutes for receiving there?

Andy P: What do you think of Belov tonight, LT?

I’ve always liked Belov, seems to have better boots tonight and that’s the only concern. I like him fine as a 6-7D.

48. Clay says:

Andy P: What do you think of Belov tonight, LT?

Not trying to be LT obviously, but:

Belov > > > Mark Fraser

Actually,

Belov > pylon > dead goat > Mark Fraser

49. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve seen K-bomb get the puck on the net several times…he seems to be able to get it through from the point(not just tonight, but since he’s been called up)

The ice is tilted in Anaheims favour no doubt, but there are some things to like tonight.

50. thejonrmcleod says:

So did Spector really call Cam Barker a top-pairing defenseman? He says on Twitter that’s an urban legend.

51. Ryan says:

Scrivens is lights out. Marincin looks all world relative to our other dmen, and Hall’s the usual beast.

52. Gerta Rauss says:

thejonrmcleod:

53. Ryan says:

Lois Lowe: Wow, I didn’t expect that to work at all. Any advice or a coffee meeting would be greatly appreciated.

My email is lois.lowe79 (at) gmail

That’s the problem with this blog… Too many lawyers and not enough doctors… :)

54. Andy P says:

Clay: Not trying to be LT obviously, but:

Belov > > > Mark Fraser

Actually,

Belov > pylon > dead goat > Mark Fraser

LOL :)

55. Ryan says:

Clay:
    Boy, Marincin is just so fundamentally sound defensively.

Word.

56. frjohnk says:

Gerta Rauss: I recall him saying “top 4″ defenceman-it may have been during an intermission, I don’t know if there is a link to offer any proof.

I found that Spector quoted Tambellini

“On Barker, Tambellini said: “He’s 25 years old, has the potential to be a top-4 defenceman, and he’s on a one-year deal.” At Edmonton’s stage of the rebuild, why wouldn’t you take a run at a kid like that?”

But Spector did not disagree with him and at the end of the column he wrote “If you are one those who wondered if he could pull the trigger, you’ll have to admit he had a pretty good Canada Day.

And what did Tambellini do on that Canada Day? He signed Barker, Eager and Belanger.

57. Gerta Rauss says:

Calgary wins again-we can pretty much cut them loose, no way we catch them now. The only way we don’t get a top 4 pick is if one of the teams outside the bottom 4 wins the lottery.

58. Clay says:

Perry should have a hat-trick by now.

59. Ryan says:

frjohnk: I found that Spector quoted Tambellini

And what did Tambellini do on that Canada Day?He signed Barker, Eager and Belanger.

To be fair, WE all liked the Belanger signing at the time.

Barker was a bad bet, but it didn’t do any long-term damage.

Tambo is easy to pile on, but he inherited a useless cap strung hockey team.

60. Gerta Rauss says:

frjohnk,

I seem to recall him saying it during an intermission, after the season had started(ie: not July 1), but I could be mistaken.

That’s a nice find though, an A for effort.

61. FPB94 says:

Seeing David Clarkson suck and how the Oilers wanted to pay him more and this other debacle of a season is making it hard for this organization to be taken seriously.

I’m beginning to believe these are the Cleveland Browns.

62. frjohnk says:

Ryan: To be fair, WE all liked the Belanger signing at the time.

Barker was a bad bet, but it didn’t do any long-term damage.

Tambo is easy to pile on, but he inherited a useless cap strung hockey team.

Im just saying that Spec thought that Barker was a good signing back when. Spector must have said something in 2012 as well, cause I think Dennis King said something his way about Barker.

I have to admit, I like the signing of Belanger at the time. But man, the player fell hard and fell fast.

63. Clay says:

Attaboy Kbomb!

64. Gerta Rauss says:

K-bomb hit the net with that one!!!

65. Ryan says:

FPB94:
    Seeing David Clarkson suck and how the Oilers wanted to pay him more and this other debacle of a seasonis making it hard for this organization to be taken seriously.

I’m beginning to believe these are the Cleveland Browns.

Long time no see.

Dropping the Klefbomb!!

66. Marcus Oilerius says:

Beauty read and feed by Perron, beauty goal by Klefbom.

67. vangolf says:

My email is lois.lowe79 (at) gmail

Email sent. Cheers

68. rich says:

A night Klefbom will always remember.

Good for him.

69. Kitchener says:

Klef yeah!

Klefbom!!!!!!

71. Ryan says:

frjohnk: Im just saying that Spec thought that Barker was a good signing back when.Spector must have said something in 2012, cause I think Dennis King said something his way about Barker.

I have to admit, I like the signing of Belanger at the time.But man, the player fell hard and fell fast.

Yeah he did lol. Iirc no one liked the Barker signing.

72. icecastles says:

That goal will be so much more memorable for him if it’s part of a win. Please please please please…

73. FPB94 says:

frjohnk,

It was a good signing. I don’t know how you could argue it wasn’t. There was only upside of having a former high draft pick maybe find his form, and the downside was waiving his no cost contract (no downside). It’s not like the Oilers had anybody there to play instead or lost somebody that could play.

74. Ryan says:

Flaming pavel bure was one of the better posters here till he disappeared.

75. LMHF#1 says:

Klefbom scores…sign of the apocalypse??

76. icecastles says:

Sam Gagner with a decent defensive play? This is a very nice game for him indeed.

77. Marcus Oilerius says:

And the first line manages to make some nice plays against Getzlaf-Perry.

I am seeing signs of hope.

78. icecastles says:

LMHF#1: Klefbom scores…sign of the apocalypse??

Has he outscored Smid yet? Has to be close.

79. FPB94 says:

Ryan,

Mcgill is hard on me Haha. Can’t stay up as much now.

80. Ryan says:

FPB94:
    Ryan,

Mcgill is hard on me Haha. Can’t stay up as much now.

Fair game, lol. Not another future lawyer here, lol?

81. Ryan says:

What’s not to like about Scrivens? Really? Total Gamer.

82. icecastles says:

For anyone still saying Scrivens has yet to prove himself as a number 1 goalie, I say Pppppttttthhhhhhh!

83. Marcus Oilerius says:

I’m starting to find myself aligning with LT on Team MacT. You can almost see his vision in action. Clarkson was the only mis-step, and even then, given the team’s deficiencies, it was filling a need. I don’t think anyone anticipated Clarkson falling off the face of the Earth like that – many teams were interested.

84. boxman says:

Scrivens shades of Dominik Hasek when he scrambles………weeeee

85. Clay says:

Ryan:
    Flaming pavel bure was one of the better posters here till he disappeared.

Who was it that used to drop a drink recipe for every game? Hbomb?

I miss those.

In that vein…

The Nacho Libre:

1 part Mount Gay Eclipse rum (not the same without Mount Gay)
    2 parts Sprite
    1 part lime juice (fresh squeezed)
    1 part water
    lotsa ice

86. icecastles says:

Fucking Scrivens. We still need a proper number 1.

87. FPB94 says:

Ryan,

I like Scrivens. One of the only moves I can explain in the last 5 years. (That and Perron, god bless Perron)

88. Gerta Rauss says:

Scrivens seems to get under the oppositions skin in addition to stopping pucks. We need more of that.

89. frjohnk says:

FPB94:
    frjohnk,

That’s not what we are talking about. Spector is saying right now that he never called Barker a top pairing Dmen. And while he may not have said he was a top pairing Dmen, he did mention Barker was in the top 3 in 2011. “their best three defencemen: Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert and Cam Barker”. This discussion is about Spector contradicting himself somewhat and it looks like he has.

For me personally, I was lukewarm to the signing, I remembering watching him in Minny and not liking. Then he gets bought out. Oilers then signed him. There was hope he could live up to draft billing. But it was just hope.

90. icecastles says:

Clay: Flaming pavel bure was one of the better posters here till he disappeared.
    Who was it that used to drop a drink recipe for every game? Hbomb?

I assumed that was FPB94. Not prolific but he’s still around. And yeah, HBomb was a blast. There used to be a guy named Bookjie too. There’s a Bookjie on here, but the old one was fun and happy. New Bookjie is depressing and sad. Can’t be the same guy.

91. FPB94 says:

frjohnk,

Oh that. Yeah Spector sucks.

icecastles,

It’s F**cking Bookie! (I cant do it upside down)

92. Gerta Rauss says:

icecastles:There used to be a guy named Bookjie too. There’s a Bookjie on here, but the old one was fun and happy. New Bookjie is depressing and sad. Can’t be the same guy.

I remember the Mr Koolaid avatar when he first started posting-that seems like a hundred years ago.

93. Kitchener says:

Calgary wins.

Oilers get a point against a helluva hockey team.

95. flyfish1168 says:

Jujhar Khaira 1g 1a +2

96. Ryan says:

Clay: Who was it that used to drop a drink recipe for every game?Hbomb?

I miss those.

In that vein…

The Nacho Libre:

1 part Mount Gay Eclipse rum (not the same without Mount Gay)
    2 parts Sprite
    1 part lime juice (fresh squeezed)
    1 part water
    lotsa ice

Nice. Yeah that was HBomb iirc. Wow. That was back when I first started reading this blog in 2009.

The glory days of this blog when we had Mc79hockey, Willis, traktor, and a few other old timey posters.

97. boxman says:

Nice call ref, offing overtime…..FFS

98. tcho says:

The shot clock doesn’t seem to reflect the balance of play imo. Am I alone on that?

99. book¡je says:

That was a penalty??

100. boxman says:

FFS

101. Clay says:

I’m convinced that if the Oilers had Scrivens-level goaltending from game 1, this would be a completely different season. Not playoffs, but not Armageddon.

102. FPB94 says:

Ryan,

I don’t really miss MC tbh. Willis was fun, Traktor was either insane or drunk, MC was serious and condescendent 24/7.

103. book¡je says:

Scrivens is a damn good goalie – terrible call against Ference!

104. Ryan says:

Clay:
    I’m convinced that if the Oilers had Scrivens-level goaltending from game 1, this would be a completely different season.Not playoffs, but not Armageddon.

One way or the other, Mact has some serious work to do.

105. Gerta Rauss says:

tcho:

106. Marcus Oilerius says:

A bit of a make-up call, not complaining.

107. Clay says:

Ryan: Nice.Yeah that was HBomb iirc.Wow.That was back when I first started reading this blog in 2009.

Heh – poor traktor would get piled on. Classic!

While we’re on memory lane, LT, I miss the baseball history lessons. Honestly. I loved all the parallels you’d draw between the two sports.

108. steveb12344 says:

Gerta Rauss: It hasn’t been the clown show we’ve come to know and love, but I think Anaheim has carried the bulk of the play. Curious to see what the corgis say.

I think the Corgi’s will be saying the same thing everyone else is saying….” Scrivens is good!”

109. Clay says:

Lol…

110. Marcus Oilerius says:

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! FERENCE SCORES WE WIN HOLY CRAP!!!

111. icecastles says:

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!

I think I just woke up my entire apartment building.

112. book¡je says:

Ok good, Ference is finally bringing his offensive game.

113. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

See Hall’s jersey whipping in Cogliano’s face. Need for speed.

114. Ryan says:

FPB94:
    Ryan,

Traktor was knowledgeable and provided a dissenting opinion which stirred conversation. He was like dead cats bounce lite.

Mc79 was arrogant as hell, but encouraged the use of math in arguments. Willis was fun though.

115. Clay says:

Andrew MacInnis

116. boxman says:

Sweet cocaine that is an Oilers win……nice

117. rich says:

So who expected that finish?

Scrivens deserves #1 star. If not for him, no way we get the W.

118. Gerta Rauss says:

Traktor would take a lot of grief but years later a lot of what he said has proven accurate. He called Cogs a 25 goal scorer and while he’s not there yet, he’s at 21 and counting.

edit** Ference!!!

119. Ryan says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    See Hall’s jersey whipping in Cogliano’s face. Need for speed.

Priceless. Seabiscuit.

120. Clay says:

Gerta Rauss:

edit** Ference!!!

You’re right. He went against the narrative, and paid for it, but he had some interesting opinions, and it made for some great threads!

121. Ryan says:

Clay: You’re right.He went against the narrative, and paid for it, but he had some interesting opinions, and it made for some great threads!

Traktor has made a few cameos here, but it’s not the same. He’s pretty mellow now.

122. Marcus Oilerius says:

Oh, we won in the faceoff dot. That includes Nuge (58%) and Lander (70%) though not Gagner (17%).

123. Ryan says:

Alright sorry for the nostalgia boys. Good nite!

124. Numenius says:

icecastles:
    OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!

I think I just woke up my entire apartment building.

Me too. I yelled so loud.

Forgot that it was 12:25am (I’m in Toronto).

Hope the neighbours didn’t have a heart attack.

125. Pouzar says:

J. Khaira 3g 1a

126. thejonrmcleod says:

frjohnk,

That article of Spector’s has mysteriously disappeared. How convenient.

127. Marcus Oilerius says:

thejonrmcleod:
    frjohnk,

That article of Spector’s has mysteriously disappeared. How convenient.

Did you check the internet archive? https://archive.org/index.php – works best if you know the URL.

128. Hammers says:

a very good game win or loose . not about the score more about what they need to learn . still need the stud “D” but Marincin & Klefbom will be staying . something to build on and welcome to the nyr .

thejonrmcleod:

Spector is technically correct.

He said between periods one game:

“Cam Barker is a top 3 defensemen in the NHL”

Twitter exploded.

Spector’s insight on hockey is akin to Spector’s insight into Molecular Biology.

Agreed on above.

I actually saw Goneyay good tonight after his initial Dzone wonders.

It was interesting that I saw 57 play the C spot in the dzone more than once with 89 on the ice.

89 might have been late back and 57 was covering, but less pucks go in the net the closer 89 is to the boards.

Clay:
    Perry should have a hat-trick by now.

He abused every line and pairing he was against.

Perry and a pick for Comrie.

Man.

132. Henry says:

Woodguy,

You saw Perron doing Kurri duty too. I was trying to find Gagner on Maroon’s goal and saw he had the right point while 57 was flailing away in the low slot (while Schultz covered the goalline). I thought it had to be a switch due to circumstance. Did 57 and 89 switch defensive assignments regularly?

133. dangilitis says:

Ryan: One way or the other, Mact has some serious work to do.

I agree with both of you.

2 weeks ago, my arrogant and stupid friend from Toronto (who was already mad that he had lost his bet with me that Hemsky would be better on a better team) then started trashing the Oilers. I told him it was a futile exercise as I am very aware of their suck-itude. But I told him he was naive to think the Leafs played any better. This was only a couple games into the Maple Leaf landslide. Rather than eating humble pie, he told me that this never would have happened if Bernier wasn’t injured, e.g. pile the blame on Reimer. I told him my take was that the problem is not Reimer (although he certainly wasn;t helping), but that the problems were being concealed by Bernier’s exceptional and likely unreproducible season. He then called me a nerd when I showed him Fenwick and Corsi stats, showing Leafs @29th.

All this to say I have learned a lot from everyone on this site, and that Oilers might have duped themselves into thinking they were a good club if Scrivens arrived sooner. Perhaps a bit of a blessing in disguise that Dubnyk sucked, because Toronto will go into the summer thinking they need a better backup, whereas Edmonton has hopefully received the message, despite markedly improving their goaltending.

134. AZOIL says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Oh, we won in the faceoff dot.That includes Nuge (58%) and Lander (70%) though not Gagner (17%).

Those are some good numbers for the Nuge and lander! What about Gordon?

We never win the FO%, nice work!

135. justDOit says:

book¡je:
    Ok good, Ference is finally bringing his offensive game.

His superior VO2 levels allowed him to elevate his game late in OT. That, and sitting in the box for the first 2 minutes of OT.

136. Caramel Obvious says:

Ference was on the ice for 24 shots against 5/5. That’s incredible.

Now he played 15 minutes against Getzlaf so the level of competition matters. Still, Getzlaf was only on the ice for 16 shots for. That leaves another 8 shots against in a little more than 5 minutes of work against the rest of the team.

Meanwhile Klefbom was only on the ice for 6 shots against the whole game

137. VanOil says:

denny33:
    VanOil,

I would trade a 2015 1st and a 3d round pick to Buffalo for Myers
    ***************************************************************************
    If it was your job – honestly – and Dallas is your coach….would you trade our 2015 1stpick?

Yes. Mr. Eakins is not perfect but if it was my job he and Myers would be put in a position to succeed.

138. VanOil says:

Ducey: The Oilers don’t need to be dumping high draft picks in good drafts just so they can improve from 29th to 25th.That just perpetuates the futility and is the kind of thing Garth Snow now looks like an idiot for.

I suggested that the Oilers add two NHL defense men. I also suggested they are at worst ‘Petry’ class and at best Weber-Sutter class. They both have the pedigree to back that up, more so than any draft pick. Yes the Vaneck trade was poor for Mr. Snow but the Kessel trade was not the stupidest thing in the world for Burke. Adding Vaneck was a poor play by Snow because what he needed was a goalie. Are you suggesting that the Oilers have ANY PROBLEM that ranks near there weakness at defense? Adding not one but two top pairing defense men moves the dial further the 29 to 25.

139. VanOil says:

Woodguy: All good points but I’m not sure Myers is that guy I use that batch of powder on.

140. VanOil says:

I was out enjoying Van City tonight and missed the game. It sounded OK. But like Van is OK compared to WG’s Arizona or GMoney’s Mexico. But what I really want to know is how did UND do and how was Simpson?

141. art vandelay says:

Who won the Corgis?

142. VanOil says:

art vandelay:
    Who won the Corgis?

The Queen Mother. But I am pretty sure she is animatronic.

art vandelay:
    Who won the Corgis?

The corgi’s were taken out behind the shed and shot

VanOil: Agreed. I just don’t see a higher risk v. reward candidate that is conceivably available. I know his reputation and pay has long out striped his ability. I have starred pretty hard at the numbers and play the last 3 months and see signs he could live up to his ability. He ain’t terrible but there is a significant risk he will never be great. The chance of him being great is seductive and way less of a risk than say Ekblad but it is still a risk.

stats.hockeyanalysis is down right now, but I was looking at his WOWY for this year (which is supposed to be his bounce back year) and they weren’t pretty at the top.

I’ll dig it up later when the site is back up.

Henry:
    Woodguy,

You saw Perron doing Kurri duty too.I was trying to find Gagner on Maroon’s goal and saw he had the right point while 57 was flailing away in the low slot (while Schultz covered the goalline).I thought it had to be a switch due to circumstance.Did 57 and 89 switch defensive assignments regularly?

I saw it too often to just be a “first man back plays C” thing.

Then again, he was covering for Gagner and its not improbable that Gagner was never the first man back….

Most interesting thing about yesterday’s game was the Dpairs.

Ference-Petry got the toughs
    Marincin-Belov got 2nd toughs
    Klefbom-Jultz got 3rds

Marincin-Belov were the only pair that wasn’t buried with ton’s of Dzone starts

I like that they are trying to lighten the load on Jultz.

Ference is put in a position as 1LD that he hasn’t played regularly (before this year) in 12 years.

Just highlights the need on D with a giant Klieg light

147. sliderule says:

I think Ference has shown he should be a number seven D .Or a buyout.

In all fairness to the defence unless Hall is on the ice the oil can’t sustain any pressure.

This lack of offence makes the oiler choice at draft obvious.Draft the best centre available.

Then in free agency they have to gamble with one of the stopgap free agents who can score.

They will sign a free agent D but they need help up front.

148. gcw_rocks says:

frjohnk,

There is no problem signing a player like Barker if you also sign a proven player and force Barker to be better than established NHL talent win a job.

It’s the same as signing Belov and Grebeshkov and giving them no proven NHL talent to have to beat for the job. It’s what riverboat gamblers do. Not good GMs.

149. Clay says:

Woodguy:
    Most interesting thing about yesterday’s game was the Dpairs.

Ference-Petry got the toughs
    Marincin-Belov got 2nd toughs
    Klefbom-Jultz got 3rds

Marincin-Belov were the only pair that wasn’t buried with ton’s of Dzone starts

I like that they are trying to lighten the load on Jultz.

Just highlights the need on D with a giant Klieg light

Just looking a TOI confirms the need too. Granted it was an overtime game, but having Petry play 27+ minutes and Schultz 25+ is too much. If they could find a legit 25 minute eater, that pushes everyone else back down to realistic (and productive) levels.

Clay: Just looking a TOI confirms the need too.Granted it was an overtime game, but having Petry play 27+ minutes and Schultz 25+ is too much.If they could find a legit 25 minute eater, that pushes everyone else back down to realistic (and productive) levels.

Yup.

Oilers need 2 Actual Top pairing NHL Dmen to push everyone down the depth chart.

Didn’t see Petry very good last night.

I think they plan on slotting him as 1RD (same as this year) and he’d benefit greatly to not having to carry that load.

A better 1LD will make a world of difference to him if he plays 1RD, but I think he’d thrive on the 2nd pair.

151. tcho says:

Woodguy,

I’m alright going to war with Petry-Marincin as a 2nd d pairing.

152. Colieo87 says:

Get embarrassed by the Flames, but beat the Ducks in OT. Win 3 in a row, but lose 5 in a row. The Oilers haven’t ‘turned any corners’ until they show positive consistency. Positively, the Oilers are 11-14 since acquiring Ben Scrivens. It’s not great (.440 ‘winning’ pct), but it’s a step in the right direction, especially since 4 of those losses are in OT/SO. They were 15-24 (.385) with 5 OT/SO losses before Scrivens was acquired. The key will be keeping up and improving upon their present ‘success’. Report this comment!

Byfuglien has two years left on his contract. He is the guy to target.

Gagner and something.

Ference, Byfuglien
    Marincin, Petry
    Klefbom, Schultz

(Fedun, Belov, Greene, etc, for #7)

Simpson, Gernat, Musil in the minors

Nurse is the wildcard.

If Ekblad, send him to junior.

If all the D start playing well, move Byfuglien to forward.

godot10:
    Byfuglien has two years left on his contract.He is the guy to target.

Gagner and something.

Ference, Byfuglien
    Marincin, Petry
    Klefbom, Schultz

(Fedun, Belov, Greene, etc, for #7)

Simpson, Gernat, Musil in the minors

Nurse is the wildcard.

If Ekblad, send him to junior.

If all the D start playing well, move Byfuglien to forward.

You can’t have Ference on the top pair, I don’t care who’s next to him.

tcho:
    Woodguy,

I’m alright going to war with Petry-Marincin as a 2nd d pairing.

I think that’s a reasonable 2nd pair.

Colieo87,

Their wins have been due to goaltending. Full stop.

Maple Leaf model.

Not good hockey.

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I can’t wait for the Leaves to die tonight.

Woodguy: You can’t have Ference on the top pair, I don’t care who’s next to him.

Arguably, Marincin and Petry are the top pair.

Ference/Byfuglien, Marincin/Petry, Klefbom/Schultz is sort of a three 2nd pairing defence model, and one might do some mixing and matching depending on the opposition.

I tried putting one bigger guy with one smaller guy on each pairing.

159. Andy P says:

Ryan: To be fair, WE all liked the Belanger signing at the time.

Barker was a bad bet, but it didn’t do any long-term damage.

Tambo is easy to pile on, but he inherited a useless cap strung hockey team.

Tambo is easy to pile on because he destroyed what was a somewhat competitive NHL roster.

The Oil had clawed their was to G7 of the SC final, and had a 50% win rate for the year. The following year they lost most of their star players, dropped to a 39% win rate, but rebounded to a 50% win rate the following year.
    From 2000 to 2008 the team averaged a 46% win rate.
    The year Tambo took over, 2008, MacT’s win rate dropped from 50% to 46% and then MacT submitted his resignation, saying that he had tried everything, there was nothing more he could do with this team.
    I will grant that after that, Tambo’s win rate went from 33% under Quinn, to 35% under Renney, to 40% under Krueger, and may have improved further had Krueger stayed, but the roster by that stage had been gutted and was littered with inferior players.
    Also remember that Lowe had to work with a tight internal cap until Batman came along.

I can accept that MacT had to regress to move forward, as he had to rebuild the way the young core played, but I also think that if MacT had kept Krueger the transition would have been a lot smoother than it was. Except we would still have suffered with the awful goaltending and the slew of injuries to our key players.

So the big tell has to be next season, and where our win% goes with MacT’s roster and perhaps assistant coaching changes taking effect.

160. Chris says:

I have to think the priority for next year is finding at least 1 top pairing defenceman.

____ Petry
    Marincin – Ference/Shultz
    Klebom Shultz/Shultz

Although based on recent performance I expect we could likely see them road test Maricin with a number 1 dman being added on the other side as the top pairing.

161. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: I saw it too often to just be a “first man back plays C” thing.

Seven years in, his buy-in to playing the 200-foot game remains pretty damn close to zero.

162. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Gagner is eager to switch out of his defensive responsibilities. If a W is one inch closer to the goal line than he is, he’ll peel off to the wing & leave his linemate to tackle the down low stuff. Happens over and over and over again. I’m going to keep count some time, but I fully expect this happens with Gagner on the ice more than with all other pivots combined.

You never know, Bruce.

At any moment a puck might bounce off a leg or stick and into unmolested ice right near Gagner. He’s got to be ready for that. Got to! If not him, who will do the dirty work of maintaining peak readiness for that random occurrence?

« Older Comments