FLAMES AT OILERS, G62 13-14

When I was a kid, following the California Seals meant that by this point in the season you were heavily invested in important stats like 20-goal scorers. They had four of them in 1972-73 and that was very cool. My Boston Bruins? They had nine, same season.

This year’s Oilers will have four, according to tsn and their magic projection thingy.

1. Taylor Hall 75GP, 28-50-78
  2. Jordan Eberle 81GP, 26-35-61
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 80GP, 20-38-58
  4. David Perron 78GP, 30-27-57

The four offensive stalwarts have played a high percentage of the season’s games, although Hall played a lot of games at less than 100%. I think Yakupov scores 20+ next season and doesn’t stop until 2030 or so. I also think Justin Schultz may join him a time or two.

YAK CITY INJURY

yakupov common3Nail Yakupov took a shot off the foot in Thursday’s game, but it sounds like he’s going to be okay. We don’t know if he’ll play tonight, but the young Russian was making progress before the Olympic break so one hopes he can get back to it soon.

• Yak: “I feel good … much better than yesterday. It’s nothing serious.”

We don’t know if he’ll be in the lineup tonight, but it sounds like the young Russian will be back out there soon. For me, his passing has improved a lot this season, and he was damn good at it before. I think the game is slowing down for him now, look out NHL!

OKLAHOMA CITY ARRIVALS

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

Tyler Pitlick had a goal (GW) and an assist last night, and is 30GP, 7-10-17 for the Barons this season. Since January 1, he is 15GP, 6-5-11. Pitlick looked good during his NHL debut earlier this season and has a terrific opportunity to grab Ryan Jones job should he be traded (or even if he isn’t).

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

Roman Horak is 39GP, 15-15-30 since coming over in trade. Since January, he is 21GP, 10-9-19 and playing very well on LW. His skill set dovetails nicely for the Oilers’ needs (two-way forward) and he was drafted in 2009 (he’s not an ancient prospect).

lander11Anton Lander is on fair in Oklahoma. 38GP, 17-25-42 for the season, he’s 20GP, 8-19-27 since January 1st. Lander’s defensive skills have been his calling card, so if he can score some in Edmonton the Oilers might have a center who can play 4C and PK beginning now. Frankly, I’m surprised he isn’t there already, and that leads me to wonder if he may end up in another NHL city. Montreal and Chicago were scouting the Barons last night.

Barons vs. Houston 10-16-11

Mark Arcobello has been an Oiler for most of the season, but since he was sent out he’s 7GP, 5-9-14. I think those Habs and ‘Hawks scouts may also have been observing this player. His handling this season—along with the acquisition and deployment of guys like Hendricks on wing and Smyth at center—suggest Dallas Eakins and Craig MacTavish are not as devoted to possession hockey as we had hoped during the summer and fall.

klefbom ferguson1

Oscar Klefbom had a difficult transition to the AHL—we should have known missing an entire season would have a major impact—but he’s been doing good things in the last while. Jonathan Willis send back positive reviews, and his overall stats (43GP, 1-6-7 -10) are less impressive than his Jan 1+ numbers (16GP, 1-3-4 Even). I think the Oilers are probably wise to keep him in Oklahoma.

fedun3Taylor Fedun might be another guy teams like Montreal and Chicago have an interest in. Edmonton has Corey Potter and Phil Larsen for the role Fedun would fill, but it isn’t certain either are clearly superior. Fedun is 45GP, 7-19-26 for the season and 21GP, 4-8-12 since January 1.

TRADE DEADLINE VALUE TABLE

• Ales Hemsky: First-round draft pick (or a second and a fourth).
  • Nick Schultz: A third round pick.
  • Ryan Smyth: A fourth round pick.
  • Corey Potter: A fourth round pick.
  • Anton Belov: A fourth round pick.
  • Ilya Bryzgalov: A fourth round pick.
  • Jesse Joensuu: A fourth round pick.
  • Taylor Fedun: A fourth round pick.
  • Mark Fraser: A fourth round pick.
  • Luke Gazdic: A fifth round pick.
  • Ryan Jones: A sixth round pick.
  • Denis Grebeshkov: A seventh round pick.
  • Ben Eager: A seventh round pick.

I suspect we’ll see a trade in the next 48 hours (maybe Nick Schultz) and the Hemsky deal on Wednesday. My guess for trade total: three. I believe the Oilers will receive four draft picks overall.

mact and people

MACT’S ADDITIONS

In recent weeks, Alan Hull and I have been playing a game during his appearances: how many players do you keep for 2014-15? My answer is “11″ based on current roster, with a couple guys from the Barons likely to be part of the group next season.

• Goal: Ben Scrivens
  • Defense: Jeff Petry, Justin Schultz, Martin Marincin, Andrew Ference
  • Center: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Boyd Gordon
  • Left Wing: Taylor Hall, David Perron
  • Right Wing: Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov

David Staples list is 8 deep (Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Petry, Gordon, Marincin), the difference between his list and mine being the MacT impact. I would keep all of David Perron, Ben Scrivens, Andrew Ference and Boyd Gordon, David would keep only Gordon from the MacT revisions.

• David Perron: He’s a streaky scorer, but for me Perron was a home run this past summer. Oilers may consider dealing him in his walk season, but I don’t see any good reason to deal him now.
  • Ben Scrivens: The only negative is that he is unsigned. I like Scrivens as a big part of the goalie solution 2014+ and consider the acquisition excellent value.
  • Andrew Ference: After starting the season 42GP, 2-5-7 -2, Ference is 16GP, 0-4-4 -11. Plus minus is a terrible measure, but we know by eye that Ference has been exposed badly. The problem (imo) is that he’s playing 22 minutes a night and against competition he’s not going to handle. While the results are poor, I don’t think flushing a veteran NHL player is wise after asking him to pull down an impossible job all season. If he lags behind the team when they turn north, then you make a move with Ference. His 358 minutes with Justin Schultz tell us he isn’t going to last long with the youngster, but that doesn’t mean he can’t play a role. He may become a valuable mentore for Klefbom, Nurse and Ekblad in the coming seasons.
  • Boyd Gordon: David and I agree on him, Gordon has been an absolute Godsend. I think you can make a case for him being a better pickup than Perron, and I’m absolutely thrilled with Perron.

This brings me to a question. How many of MacT’s moves (summer and in-season) do you consider quality additions? I count three (Perron, Gordon, Scrivens). How many do you see? And secondary: do you see the last 16 games as the real Ference, or do you see him as being a part of the team next season?

The concern for me in regard to Craig MacTavish as GM isn’t Ference, it’s the addition of players we would consider poor possession types. Matt Hendricks can play a role, but on the third line? Where does Mark Fraser fit? I’m far more concerned about those moves than Andrew Ference, who should be able to fill a role on this team next season.

And the major worry for me currently is the return on Hemsky.

What say you?

I’ll be on the air with Paul Almeida today noon to 1 (TSN 1260) for Saturday Sports Extra. We’ll tee up the Oiler-Flames game, as well as talk trade deadline possibilities.

(Barons photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

372 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS, G62 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. stevezie says:

Ryan,

It’s been a weird year. I actually liked them more when the goalies were giving away games and they had a terrible record. I think the upswing in wins has coincided with worse play.

2. VanOil says:

SaskFan:
    Jordan Eberle draft +1 61gp 35 3974
    Greg Chase draft +163gp 31 45 76

This bring me joy.

Ryan:

This brings me pain.

And now I am going to be listening to Rob Base all night. All in all not a bad result.

3. nelson88 says:

Ford (Arcobello, Lander) 1-0 OKC. Lordy Lander.

box score has Eager fighting Peckham. Are you watching the game?

4. sliderule says:

SaskFan:
    Jordan Eberle draft +1 61gp 35 3974
    Greg Chase draft +163gp 31 45 76

Add to the fact that he’s already listed between 6- 6’1 195-205 and known for his physicality/grit AND he’s a centre, I think that there’s a chance that he could be a legit top 6 player.Just imagine us with 6’1 215 pound centre putting up 50-60 points a year.

Let’s hope oilers handle negotiations better than with the last 7 th rounder Lombardi who exceeded his draft level.He opted to go back in draft rather than sign.
    Chase is going to want a lot more than 7th round entry money.
    I have a hunch it’s one of reasons Reider was traded for nothing.
    It’s depressing but the oil have a way of screwing things up.

nelson88:

6. theres oil in virginia says:

Buyers and Sellers among Bubble Teams (slideshow, nothing on Oil)

Nice, a “slideshow” disclaimer! Doesn’t everybody love slideshows?

Are you trolling TGO there? (just joking) VCR are sellers?

Cam Ward floating around out there is not a pleasant thought for Oilers fans.

7. gogliano says:

Moving Yak makes a lot more sense if Hemsky is willing to sign only if he is 2RW. I dont think this is what they are thinking or what Hemsky would reasonably demand but it makes a lot more sense than a double whammy of losing both Hemsky and Yak.

But it still is unlikely to end well even if it is part of a bigger play.

8. nelson88 says:

sliderule,

Mentions of Reider still make the blood pressure rise. Another 2G 1A and 5 shots in the game on Thursday. He was one of my favourite prospects. I was willing to be open minded on the trade but it is really looking like one where Mr. Dithers should have kept dithering.

Arcobello (Hunt, Lander). Maybe it’s arco the Habs are after? Small forward, but man he’s dominant in the AHL.

10. VanOil says:

Yak has not suffered enough to be allowed to leave the Oilers, Hemsky has. I hope they both stay.

11. book¡je says:

I have a source who tells me a three for one trade is imminent!

12. Clay says:

Man, they’re skating in snow drifts in Chicago tonight. Not a fan of that wire-cam though – makes me dizzy. Or maybe it’s the akahaul. Not sure.

book¡je: !

You know, kidding about these things inspires a VERY dim view!!! (dim view)

14. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia: Nice,a “slideshow” disclaimer! Doesn’t everybody love slideshows?

Are you trolling TGO there?(just joking)VCR are sellers?

Cam Ward floating around out there is not a pleasant thought for Oilers fans.

The Canucks are definitely sellers.

I think they might be working on a blockbuster sending Kesler, Edler and Luongo out in one fell swoop.

Maybe to Philly who could use all 3.

In return for Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Ty McGinn and Philly’s 1st.

Maybe to Toronto for Kadri, Gardiner, Reimer and Toronto’s 1st

Just spitballing but Luongo’s agent says lots is going on:

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
    You can be sure Luongo’s fully aware of the situation (deja vu). As is his agent, Pat Brisson, who declined to comment on the matter

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 41m
    Brisson acknowledged to me that there is “lots going on,” but would not comment specifically on the situation or potential trade.

15. nelson88 says:

OKC seems to have a very proficient PP. How do we get that magic in Edmonton?

Long time Lander fan. I was curious as to the number of Oiler prospects who have played a meaningful (>25) number of games in an AHL season and have a pts/g above 1 while under 24 years of age (Lander is 22). Since 2001 I can only come up with;

Hall
    Eberle
    RNH
    Omark

Poo, Schremp and Rajala came close.

16. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Rex

Awww, man! Not another slideshow!

;)

17. theres oil in virginia says:

The Great One,

Wow! Don’t you think the Canucks lose both of those trades though?

18. nelson88 says:

Edit.

Of course I missed Jultz. Hell of a 1/2 season.

Apparently the Oilers are interested in Chris Phillips. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

20. The Great One says:

Phil Kessel is THE MAN

21. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia:
    The Great One,

Wow!Don’t you think the Canucks lose both of those trades though?

Nope…addresses their needs exactly.

22. VanOil says:

The Great One:
    Phil Kessel is THE MAN

He would fail Eakins fitness testes though.

23. Racki says:

Lowetide: I’ve heard that too, that they might move him in a hockey trade. They’ll regret it.

I’m not so sure they will.

Yakupov will be a good.. maybe great player. But if they turn him into players that fulfill important needs, I think they’ll be happy about it. I mean, if he can be used to secure a #1 D finally, that would be the trade that helps both sides. If they move him and acquire a high pick and some prospect gambles, then yah, that will definitely be one to regret, right from the start.

I know people like to think the Oilers management are all a bunch of bumbling idiots, and it’s hard not to think that from time to time, but I think MacTavish has the smarts to not make a real stupid move with Yakupov. If he goes, I’m pretty sure it will be for a pretty big deal. If not, then I don’t think he goes anywhere.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Maybe Grebs?

hahaha… you never know!

I’d be scouting Gernat, but he’s scratched tonight for the rotation.

25. Captain Smarmy says:

The Great One,

Leafs and Flyers seem like the perfect match for a blockbuster like that. Crazy.

26. David says:

OKC’s top players that other teams would be looking at Lander, Klefbom. I looked at the Canadiens roster and none of their players that would be available made any sense for the Oilers.

Platzer with another goal tonight. Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Apparently the Oilers are interested in Chris Phillips. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

fack!!!

c’mon nonononononononono never.

28. Captain Smarmy says:

Subban is the man.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PK. is awesome. just sublime. trade the Habs musil for him.

30. VanOil says:

Racki,

Yak for Subban would be the only deal I would find acceptable. Both kids are exceptional. Yak for anyone not exceptional, even if they fill a need, I find unacceptable.

I also find smoking crack and hanging with violent gangsters while being Mayor unacceptable. But I am not going to the Oscars or hanging with Kimmel so what the hell do I know. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-arrives-in-l-a-greeted-by-jimmy-kimmel-1.2556704

31. David says:

C. Hamilton (Klefbom, Pitlick)

Huge fan of Pitlick, think the Oilers re-sign Hamilton?

Curtis Hamilton scores his 6th to make it 4-2 OKC in a big game. Assists to Klefbom and Pitlick.

33. dangilitis says:

I actually don’t get what the hell is going on in MacT and Eakins’ minds.

Arcobello has 20 pts in 9 games. He does not belong in the AHL anymore.

Why Smyth is playing out of position when he could be centered by Arco on the 4th line and give the Oilers 2/3 of a great 4th line makes me ill.

Vancouver starts Lack and a goaltender controversy is up within minutes all over TSN. Distraction, yes. Does playing Lack over Luongo hurt his value if Lack for whatever reason wins the day? Sure. But if they think its going to win games, you can’t care about hurt feelings, or what you’re getting in return for the loser of the competition for the best player to fill the role on your team. I support this decision.

Arcobello did better in a reasonably good amount of time in Gagner’s role. If this was a well run business, then Arcobello would have kept the job, even if Gagner was pouting in the corner. Instead he is being wasted away in the AHL, and we will never even know if he could handle 2nd line C responsibilities. Many games were lost on this.

No member of the media has pushed Eakins on this, or MacT. I wish Arcobello had a funny twitter account name or something.

Lander, Horak, Pitlick, all those D prospects will get their chance. Even Omark, for what it’s worth, had a decent chance relative to Arcobello.

To borrow a quote from a classic, I feel like I am taking crazy pills, here

34. Captain Smarmy says:

PK and Yak City on the same team would be amazing. It might actually kill Cherry.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    PK. is awesome. just sublime. trade the Habs musil for him.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

David:
    C. Hamilton (Klefbom, Pitlick)

Huge fan of Pitlick, think the Oilers re-sign Hamilton?

Yes. I think they re-sign Curtis.

Before the last injury he was playing very well and the EDM social media crew was all over him… several puff pieces in a row and a few mentions of call ups.

I think they give him at least a one year; 2-way obviously. cheap $$

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’d trade a lot for Subban, but it wouldn’t be enough. They’ll fire the coach, and that’s the right call.

Would you trade Yak for Subban?

The assumption being you could sign Subban forever.

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t know. After that fucking Murray trade, Bergevin is liable to do anything. I don’t have a lot of faith in him making good hockey assessments.

Would you trade Yak for Subban?

The assumption being you could sign Subban forever.

Well, I wouldn’t say no right away.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis,

I don’t know either.

But part of me says to calm down because this is the weird time before the deadline.

I’ll wait until after and then I’ll take a good long look at who they ice for the big club. If Arco is still in the org. and not on the NHL team… I’ll be very, very, very disappointed. anger will fight with depression.

40. Racki says:

VanOil:
    Racki,

That’s the kind of trade I’m basically talking about.

I think the Habs would LOVE to see Galchenyuk and Yakupov together so much that they’d do the deal. And well, it helps both sides, so long as PK’s next contract isn’t above the likes of Hall/Ebs.

PK would go a long ways here. I’ve been slow to get on the love-wagon with him.. but I think he brings a wide variety of skills.. some dangers, for sure, but I think it would be worth it.

Then the Oilers would need to find someone to play the more safe half of his pairing. Nick Schultz, if Nick Schultz was as advertised.

I’ll also note that PK is a RHD… while we’ve lucked out in that area, for the most part, it’s definitely harder to come by an all around RHD.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Well, I wouldn’t say no right away.

I think I’d do it.

Of course, I’d sign Hemsky for 3 years the next second.

Ford (Arcobello, Lander) 1-0 OKC. Lordy Lander.

Lander will be traded for shite.

43. Captain Smarmy says:

I don’t know. It seems like all that is good in hockey could exist with Yak and Subban on the same team. Give the Habs everyone else.

44. OilLeak says:

VanOil: He would fail Eakins fitness testes though.

Well done sir

*slow clap*

45. dangilitis says:

Lars Eller started the year with 8 pts in 8 games and +5.

You might say I am using a small sample size, but even in the prior season he had 30 pts in 46 games with a +8.

Since he called the Oilers an AHL team, he has 13 pts in 53 games (closing in on 54) with a -14.

If he doesn’t turn it around, do we call it the “curse of stating the obvious”?

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Lander will be traded for shite.

You know how to break a man’s heart, Woodguy.

Woodguy: Lander will be traded for shite.

48. David says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Romulus Apotheosis: Yes. I think they re-sign Curtis.

I think they give him at least a one year; 2-way obviously. cheap $$

I hope they do. I don’t think anything is lost in re-signing him. He and Pitlick may have just been pushed back in their development due to injuries. The Oilers may be entering a time when they can fill their their bottom six with cheap prospects year after year: Lander, Pitlick, Horak, Arcobello- Miller, Hamilton- Kharia, Yakimov, Moroz. At least I can hope…

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

David:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

A lot of those cats won’t make it. But, yea… they all look like late bloomers from here and if one or two make it… great!

Re-reading… Yakimov and Khaira obviously aren’t late bloomers

Miller will be in tough to get another contract.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I don’t think the Oilers value him as they should, Arco either. We’ll see, hope they prove me wrong. Smyth at C, Gazdic, Jones, Hendricks. How many of those gents are better than Arco? Lander?

I think we can’t really know for sure until after the deadline. I’ve decided not to freak out about this until then.

51. sliderule says:

David,

Everyone loves the kid.You would want your daughter to meet him.

Unfortunately he has done sweet nothing in AHL.

A waste of roster spot.Cut your losses.

52. book¡je says:

I think we are all losing faith.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:
    David,

Everyone loves the kid.You would want your daughter to meet him.

Unfortunately he has done sweet nothing in AHL.

A waste of roster spot.Cut your losses.

He had a very brief burst of scoring and then got injured. His size is going to appeal to MacT. there are 50 roster spots for a reason: gives you a chance to ride a few guys long.

54. gvblackhawk says:

stevezie:
    gvblackhawk,

There are certain topics I usually avoid on here, for various reasons, and one of them is CO’s status as a “troll”. Tonight I’m trying to write a paper, which usually means I start posting a lot more, so against my better judgement I’m wading in:

CO has a well-earned reputation, I’m not going to argue it, but if you can’t tell the difference between someone smart whose personality grates on you and someone who is just aggresively spilling nonsense all over the crowd, then I suggest you sign yourself up for some insensitivity training.

No one likes getting insulted, but c’mon. This is the internet. It’s fun getting into heated debates, isn’t it? Sometimes harsh people have some good points and if you’re willing to check your feelings at the door you can learn something. My personal experience with ruthless people is they usually do the same.

If you think you can tell the difference are believe the good Colonel to be in the latter catagory then do what I do with the people on here I wish I could ignore: I ignore them.

Personally? I’m a fan.

I think that there are so many intelligent people who post on this site who are both clever and respectful — Rom, DMW, Steve Smith are a few examples. I glean a lot of hockey and non-hockey info from them. I don’t doubt that CO, DSF, et al, are intelligent, too, but the arrogance and condescending methods they employ to convey their opinions is not appreciated by me. It’s just so unnecessary. I try to ignore it (for the most part) but have a difficult time staying quiet when I see them bully fellow posters.

55. theres oil in virginia says:

I like all of those guys for the roles they fill, but the answer is ‘none’. At least regarding Arco. Regarding Lander, who knows until we see him again. Early Lander wasn’t too good.

56. gvblackhawk says:

Ryan: I actually have a source who’s told me that the Oilers would like to trade Yakupov.Obviously in what they hope is a quality for quality trade.not to get rid of him.

Just wondering: Are you the same Ryan from Hockeybuzz?

57. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: I think that there are so many intelligent people who post on this site who are both clever and respectful — Rom, DMW, Steve Smith are a few examples.I glean a lot of hockey and non-hockey info from them.I don’t doubt that CO, DSF, et al, are intelligent, too, but the arrogance and condescending methods they employ to convey their opinions is not appreciated by me.It’s just so unnecessary.I try to ignore it (for the most part) but have a difficult time staying quiet when I see them bully fellow posters.

You may not agree with my opinions but attacking others is hardly my M.O.

58. book¡je says:

I worry that Between meeting the required fitness standard, the truculence standard, the right attitude standard and the minimum size requirement that hockey skills may fall by the wayside on MacT’s procurement/retention list.

59. VanOil says:

gvblackhawk,

Is one mans internet bully is another mans tough love trying to bring the blogger out of the basement?

60. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: I’m quite disappointed that you would group me with anyone who “bullies fellow posters”.

You may not agree with my opinions but attacking others is hardly my M.O.

On this site you don’t. On ON you make short work of the cerebrally-challenged on occasion.

61. book¡je says:

You may not agree with my opinions but attacking others is hardly my M.O.

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think Pinizzotto is the definition of “high event” of the crash/bang variety.

63. VanOil says:

Interesting Hemsky, a multiple time Olympian, is now playing with “World Class Players” according to a former back up goalie. He is the World Class player.

64. gvblackhawk says:

I haven’t looked at his advanced stats, but by eye Lance Bouma sure brings a consistent effort. Definitely a MacT/Eakins type.

65. steveb12344 says:

VanOil:

Kelly Hrudey…A backup Goalie? OK

66. gvblackhawk says:

The Oilers must have went back to the swarm because they are leaving the slot uncovered again.

67. VanOil says:

Yeah the 4th line will win that goal back for us. Or…

68. gvblackhawk says:

That’s a MacIntyre-Ivanins special. Wow.

69. Oilanderp says:

Holy. Shit. Westgarth got Ivanansed.

70. RexLibris says:

Great. Our top line gives up a goal in front of the net to the rookie.

But hey, we won the slobberknocker contest at center ice.

Go Oilers.

71. RexLibris says:

gvblackhawk:
    I haven’t looked at his advanced stats, but by eye Lance Bouma sure brings a consistent effort.Definitely a MacT/Eakins type.

Yeah, Bouma drives play in the right direction fairly well for a 3rd/4th liners.

He’s kind of a new David Moss type player. The Flames seem to do well finding these guys. Their problem has long been a complete inability to find anyone higher end.

72. VanOil says:

steveb12344: Kelly Hrudey…A backup Goalie?OK

73. gvblackhawk says:

Now for an Eberle toe drag goal and we can call it a night.

74. The Great One says:

book¡je: Not bullying, Tormenting by way of selective statistics and shifting arguments perhaps, but not bullying.

I don’t think tormenting means what you think it means.

75. steveb12344 says:

VanOil: The one between the glass was. Hrudey’s only fault as a player was his hair cut and doo rag. If I attributed the comment to the wrong man I apologize.

Agreed 100% on Healey.

76. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: On this site you don’t.On ON you make short work of the cerebrally-challenged on occasion.

They generally make short work of themselves.

77. steveb12344 says:

Healey makes Milbury sound smart.

78. SaskFan says:

These are the games where Hall gets the nickname “Chance”

79. Racki says:

Racki <3 ‘s Gazdic.

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

steveb12344: Kelly Hrudey…A backup Goalie?OK

Healy said that.

81. gvblackhawk says:

I think when you get pyloned by David Jones, it is time to reconsider NHL employment.

82. steveb12344 says:

OKC Fyten their way back into the playoff race.

83. Jon K says:

Man, Smid looks terrible out there. Didn’t we trade him?

84. VanOil says:

Dear Mr. Cherry

Please explain the tactical superiority of starting your 4th line after a goal against. I am sure there is a sound reason for it I don’t understand.

85. Racki says:

Safe defense is not the theme tonight.

86. teddyturnbuckle says:

I just put my kid to bed and its already 1 nothing . I see our top line is minus one, what a suprise.

87. teddyturnbuckle says:

Nuge looks like Gagner out there on his own end.

SaskFan:
    These are the games where Hall gets the nickname “Chance”

89. VanOil says:

VanOil:
    Dear Mr. Cherry

90. gr8one says:

Pinizzotto: OKC Pinizzotto, 10:51 – Misconduct – Abuse of officials, (39.4) 10

What happened?

91. fuzzy muppet says:

Didn’t I read the players had “bought in” recently?

How is it possible they Keep Eakins? They simply can’t.

Oh Internet. Even in the Costa Rican jungle I can follow the oilers sucking. What the hell is wrong with me?

92. 106 and 106 says:

And Dallow’s analytics on Hall get a great mention on the HNIC panel – progression is slow and steady.

93. VanOil says:

Dellow gets a HNIC shout out, wow.

94. Racki says:

VanOil: Thank you Mr. Cherry for your clear explanation. I now know that Gazdic is embarrassed to wear his PPE, so should not have too, and PK is selfish. I do agree that Doughty is the best defense man in the game. But what about that 4th line after the goal against LUNACY. I am I just not man enough to understand?

95. VanOil says:

Racki,

Agreed. In Oil country you wear your mandatory PPE or you get fired. In jobless Ontario it may be more lax.

96. SaskFan says:

That comment was aimed at 5 minute span where he nearly set up petry, Hemsky and somebody else for a goal, but agree he hasn’t been the same.

Ryan Pike ‏@RyanNPike 53s

Chances were 13-11 #Flames in first, shots were 11-9 #Flames, but Oilers have shot attempt & face-off edge.

98. SaskFan says:

106 and 106,

VanOil,

I heard it but didn’t catch when they would talk about, did they say?

VanOil:
    Dellow gets a HNIC shout out, wow.

100. VanOil says:

Lowetide: Ron mentions him fairly often, he’s read Dellow for years now. Credit where due, he and Elliotte get it. Scott Cullen at tsn too, and Mirtle got it before any of them.

Or they (CBC) are just sucking up to there new Sportsnet Overlords. We don’t wan’t Dellow to get big headed. ;)

101. flyfish1168 says:

I do not promote fighting but I was listening to Peter Maher on the fan960 on my way home. I got the sense the Gazdic vs Westgarth fight was a pretty even. I didn’t get the impression that Gazdic was throwing bombs. After watching it on the PVR, I can honesty say Maher didn’t know what he hell he was talking about or Gazdic scared the $hit out of maher with those bombs to the phlegm players face.

102. jp says:

I’m not in the business of defending Grapes. But he didn’t say that PK was selfish. He was ragging on his teammates who went offside when PK had the puck (actually comparing him to Orr, Cherry’s highest honor). And Ron used the word selfish first.

103. Ben says:

Guys! I’m hearing rumblings that Eakins told Hemsky he could move out of the hotel and get a place in town!

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ben:

that’s damn good.

105. VanOil says:

jp,

I got that part wrong. My apologize to you and Plumbs.

106. Pouzar says:

Actually having to think of trading Yak for PK is an inside joke right? My interweb sarcasm detector is not working right now.

107. gvblackhawk says:

I wonder if the Oilers will consider Jack Eichel at next year’s draft. Or is Connor McDavid an automatic?

108. VanOil says:

Even if this ends as a back to back home shut out and a loss to Calgary, its not the Oilers worse home goalless drought or worst performance against Calgary this year. Clearing a bar that low is sad. Waiting on that Porsche Tank might have been a mistake.

109. hags9k says:

What can we get for both Hall and Eberle? This team has nuthin goin on.

110. Racki says:

Backlund sure sold that one..

111. gvblackhawk says:

Racki:
    Backlund sure sold that one..

There is a sniper in the rafters.

112. David says:

So at the Prince Albert/Kootenay game that Oilers brass are at Draisaitl 1 goal 1 assist +2, Reinhart 0,0 -2.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

David:

Mact was there.

114. hags9k says:

Is that Roy and Hasek? No that’s Kuemper and Berra…

Fire Eakins 20 games ago! Newsflash: the inmates have been running the asylum ever since
    Lindros.

Since I have only frustration to offer this thread and little in the way of constructive discussion, I offer this humble link before retiring to the netflix for the remainder of the eve.

115. cabbiesmacker says:

David:

Advance scouting a potential second rounder?

116. jp says:

Where’s the call?

117. teddyturnbuckle says:

Ok I just saw Hall put his hands in the air after getting tripped and then give up on a defensive assignment . That is exactly what is wrong with this team.

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cabbiesmacker: Advance scouting a potential second rounder?

who do you have in mind? I don’t know those rosters very well.

119. Professor Q says:

“It’s will that’s beating skill tonight.” I’m sorry, but are you really using this to refer to how the Flames are beating the Oilers?

120. teddyturnbuckle says:

That shot of Hall bumping Eberle on HNIC before the game in the warm up is the first time I’ve seen Hall finish a check all year.

121. Professor Q says:

Hall was pretty offside there.

122. jp says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    Ok I just saw Hall put his hands in the air after getting tripped and then give up on a defensive assignment .That is exactly what is wrong with this team.

It’s not the only thing wrong, but it sure is one of them. Could also have something to do with why he hasn’t been named captain yet.

123. Professor Q says:

Nice!

124. Zangetsu says:

This could make 9 scoreless games. The oil have already failed to score in roughly 10% of a full seasons games. Spoke too soon.

125. cabbiesmacker says:

steveb12344:
    OKC Fyten their way back into the playoff race.

126. jp says:

I like Perron.

Streaky scorer (and agitator for that matter), but I like him.

127. Zangetsu says:

It’s like life’s goal is to make me look like an ass.

128. Oilanderp says:

Racki: I typically like Cherry, or at least tolerate parts of his antics enough to ignore some things, but the whole anti-visor thing on Gazdic pissed me off . Basically he’s trying to paint him in the same brush as the Euro’s he hates… he wears a visor and fights, so he’s a coward.. he takes it off so that he doesn’t look like a coward. Sorry, this isn’t 1960 anymore.. you’re going to have to get used to it, as it is coming to the point where everyone will wear one.

As far as I saw it, Grapes wasn’t putting down Gazdic at all. He was putting down the rule that says he had to wear a visor. He was saying Gazdic tries to get the visor off as soon as he can after the fight because he knows the rule isn’t right either: he shouldn’t be wearing one. The visor rule sucks, just like the instigator.

129. steveb12344 says:

cabbiesmacker: Good coach. Wonder if he could have helped the Oiler cause being that the comparative lineup quality is roughly the same. Eakins sure hasn’t.

I can’t argue with you about Nelson. He’s been tremendous.

130. Professor Q says:

Oilanderp,

Protecting the eyes from wayward pucks and sticks is more essential to the game than making sure you can “fight”.

131. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis: who do you have in mind? I don’t know those rosters very well.

If they’re going to drop down into the 6 – 10 area then maybe.

132. jp says:

Zangetsu:
    It’s like life’s goal is to make me look like an ass.

It was a fair comment. Don’t beat yourself up too much about it :)

133. Zangetsu says:

jp,

That’s why I hate the oil. They wait until the sky is falling to show a slight glimmer of hope.
    Back to my previous thought though. We need a 2C and 2LW or 3LW capable of increasing our offence. A 3line of perron gordon Hemsky would be ideal. Man I wish we took nichushkin.

134. Oilanderp says:

Ference hates Stajan.

135. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cabbiesmacker: Dry Saddle shot. I would really hope the Oilers aren’t looking at him with their eventual 1 OV or 2 OV pick.

If they’re going to drop down into the 6 – 10 area then maybe.

ahhh..

I’m all in on the guy… obviously.

but, any of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl or Ekblad will do.

If we are around 4-6 I think they take him (if he’s still there).

136. jp says:

hags9k:

Those are surprisingly good. Highly recommended.

137. Oilanderp says:

Wideman with 2 minutes for ….hitting.

138. cabbiesmacker says:

steveb12344: I can’t argue with you about Nelson.He’s been tremendous.

Yep. He’s done more with middlin and younger talent than Eakins has with supposedly proven NHL players. Also, based on the progression of a few of the kids this year, i.e, Marincin, Klefbom, Lander, and Arcobello in the past couple of years Nelson’s a lot better developer of young talent as well.

Of course the Oilers looked outside their own system for a HC while keeping duds like Smith and Buchberger around as patronage appointments.

Bold moves.

139. Oilanderp says:

Professor Q:
    Oilanderp,

There are no pucks and sticks when the whistle blows and a fight starts. The rule is you can’t take your helmet off though, or the linesmen jump right in. That’s part of what Cherry was talking about.

140. teddyturnbuckle says:

This game is so boring.

141. jp says:

Zangetsu:
    jp,

Yeah, and you forgot a 1LD and a 1RD.

I had a feeling the Oilers were going to score. Just cause it was all so meaningless, like you say.

142. VanOil says:

Can we decline the loser point, Florida is gaining on us.

143. delooper says:

Edm did not lose this one? Tuned in for the final 3 seconds.

144. delooper says:

Oh.

145. jp says:

delooper:
    Edm did not lose this one?Tuned in for the final 3 seconds.

Is that better?

146. Racki says:

Oilanderp: As far as I saw it, Grapes wasn’t putting down Gazdic at all. He was putting down the rule that says he had to wear a visor.He was saying Gazdic tries to get the visor off as soon as he can after the fight because he knows the rule isn’t right either: he shouldn’t be wearing one.The visor rule sucks, just like the instigator.

Yah, I actually think you’re right. I was kind of a little confused (because it sounded like he was putting down Gazdic but noting that he has to wear a visor due to league rule), so I re-watched it, and that’s the gist I got out of it now too.

147. VanOil says:

This will put Calgary 5pts and 2 games in hand clear of Edmonton. Is it possible to be 3 clear wins worse than the Oilers over 20 games?

It would be amazing if the Oilers won 10 out of 20. Calgary would have to win 7 out of 22 or less.

Why this matters: Monahan

148. The Great One says:

Marincin exposed tonight.

149. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ahhh..

I’m all in on the guy… obviously.

but, any of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl or Ekblad will do.

If we are around 4-6 I think they take him (if he’s still there).

I’m an Ekblad at 1 – 2, Dal Colle, Perlini after the 4 spot kinda guy. 96′ers.

150. Hammers says:

CRAP

151. hoser313 says:

Battle of Alberta! Nice win boys. Now if we can just catch Buffalo…

The Great One:
    Marincin exposed tonight.

Seriously.

153. dangilitis says:

Marincin lost a puck battle, as CBC kept emphasizing. But what the fuck was Petry doing behind the net? There was no other Flames player except Byron back there, and Marincin’s job was to cover him. Yes Marincin lost the puck battle, but Petry was MIA while Monahan strolled into the slot.

154. VanOil says:

There is a symphonic Finnish prog-rock concept album about Scrooge McDuck. Shared because LT and Bruce are old Proggers and need a pick me up after watching that much bad hockey. I am going back to listen to Rob Base.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Meh. Rookies make mistakes, I’m thrilled with his season. A learning experience? Sure. This is a lost season, better now than next season. Marincin as a rookie is miles better than we had any right to hope for.

Seriously.

You don’t need to explain this to anyone, including friend cat bounce. he knows.

156. jp says:

dangilitis:

Also, he didn’t lose a “battle”, he whiffed on the puck. There was pressure on him I suppose, but I’m not sure that was any more to blame than “gangliness”.

157. Hammers says:

dangilitis:

You mean RNH stopped don’t you think . Allowed Monahan an easy out

158. Racki says:

Oilanderp: There are no pucks and sticks when the whistle blows and a fight starts.The rule is you can’t take your helmet off though, or the linesmen jump right in.That’s part of what Cherry was talking about.

I’m a bit of an old school guy, but I don’t mind the way the rules are going.

I have no problem with visors being needed for the regular game action. I also have no problem with the penalty given if players remove their helmets, as none of us wants to see a player conk his head on the ice, as we’ve seen several times before. Whether it’s been that way for years or not shouldn’t matter. The NHL would be wise to concerned about the safety of their players.

It can hurt if you land a punch on a helmet or visor.. potentially breaking a bone, of course. But that’s pretty minor compared to what can happen if someone hits their head on the ice or takes a stick or puck to the eye. You want to deal with Gazdic, put a visor on before the game starts to level the playing field if you know you’re going to fight him later.

I love the entertainment of a fight and hope it never leaves the game, but guys in junior scrap all the time, and a lot of them keep their helmets on during the course of the fight (CHL also has a rule for removing your helmet before a fight), and of course all of them wear visors. I think guys like Cherry need to be more forward thinking (candidate for understatement of the year?) and think about player safety more.

I also wondered at times if helmets could have a quick release for the visor so players could pop them off before a scrap.

159. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide: This is a lost season, better now than next season.

Seriously.

I have a feeling next season will be eerily similar to this season.

160. 106 and 106 says:

I was so impressed with Scrivens on after-hours: eclectic, intelligent, diverse, gay-rights supporter (especially after Michael Sam in the NFL backlash). Mac-T wants cerebral? This guy is a beauty.

Sign the man.

161. Racki says:

“Scrivezina” (first time I heard that one was tonight) was great on HNIC. Smart guy, funny guy.. and fellow metal head. The triple threat!

162. jp says:

106 and 106,

Racki,

Cool stuff. Would have liked to watch, but I’m in the US and Center Ice cuts off right after the game.

Apparently the Oilers are interested in Chris Phillips. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Why have one old, slow defender who can’t pass on a NMC when you can have two!

dangilitis,

I actually don’t get what the hell is going on in MacT and Eakins’ minds.

MacT is trying to re-build the 2006 Oilers.

But without Pronger.

That’ll work.

The list of dumb decisions didn’t stop growing when Tambo left the suite.

It stopped growing like mould on moist bread, but it didn’t stop growing.

Lowetide: Nah. He earned that nickname in his first three seasons. This year he’s not the same, but I’m still on board.

MacTavish thinks you can break a horse and still get his top speed.

Let’s turn Hall into Petrell!

That will work!!

dangilitis:

He went behind the net because he was supporting Marincin and expecting a pass.

Pretty basic stuff actually.

OFDTO

168. Racki says:

Side note, but those orange OKC Barons jerseys look AWESOME. I hope that one day the Oilers do a 3rd jersey that is sort of a throwback to the ol’ AB Oilers, and make it look like that, with the Oilers logo. First time I’ve seen that jersey in OKC (don’t ever really watch them live)

Edit: I see that jersey is new from a recent game for support of Special Olympics. Put me down for “fucking awesome”.

169. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    dangilitis,

I actually don’t get what the hell is going on in MacT and Eakins’ minds.

MacT is trying to re-build the 2006 Oilers.

But without Pronger.

That’ll work.

I thought it was more fun when we were trying to rebuild the 1980′s Oilers.

170. book¡je says:

Seriously.

This is a lost rebuild. Here’s to hoping the next GM and coach can turn things around quick enough so we still have one or two of the ‘kids’ with the team.

Sorry. I am just bitter these days. At least last year, there was hope with things like Schultz deciding to come to the Oilers. The notion that Scrivens will sign here seems laughable at this point.

I hope that I am wrong and that Eakins and his new assistant coaches can turn this around, but the team clearly has no clue what to do on the ice. The communication problem in that dressing room is wrecking players.

171. book¡je says:

Racki: I’m a bit of an old school guy, but I don’t mind the way the rules are going.

Maybe they should just focus on playing hockey.

« Older Comments