HAMBURGER MIDNIGHT

The Edmonton Oilers gave Anton Lander a start last night, meaning (I believe) three of the four allowed call-ups are now burned. Phil Larsen, Oscar Klefbom and now Lander are three of the four, with several quality candidates still available for the final recall.

BARONS SCORING SINCE JANUARY FIRST

15. David Musil 27, 1-6-7
  16. Oscar Klefbom 18, 1-5-6
  17. Travis Ewanyk 23, 2-3-5
  18. Ryan Hamilton 10, 3-1-4
  19. Andrew Miller 5, 1-2-3
  20. Curtis Hamilton 12, 2-1-3

Call-ups in bold and italics. Looking at the list, the obvious choice for final call-up is Mark Arcobello. However, we spoke a little while ago about the rfa and ufa situation in OKC, and it appears to me that the Oilers have:

• made their decision on Mark Arcobello
  • are legitimately intrigued by Anton Lander’s offense
  • feel Oscar Klefbom is close/ready
  • don’t have any thoughts about Taylor Fedun as an NHL player

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

Which brings us to the final group, Tyler Pitlick versus Roman Horak. Based on everything we read, Horak is the more responsible two-way guy and a better offensive option. I do think there’s a player here, but it’s more likely he’ll get a full chance to impress during TC next fall. Tyler Pitlick is the guy I’d bet (unless they need a defenseman due to injury) on getting the call.

He might even get some shifts with skill, or possibly a start at center. The Oilers have to use these final weeks as an audition for some of their young prospects. They are getting a look at Klefbom and Lander, with Pitlick, Horak, Taylor Fedun and Mark Arcobello waiting for their chance.

Reading the tea leaves, I think we can conclude this morning that the organization has already made a decision on Arco and Fedun. Pitlick’s time is close.

We’re on the radio at noon! Saturday Sports Extra—Paul Almeida, Connor Halley and  me with a preview of tonight’s games and the big stories of the weekend! 10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter and we’ll talk at noon! TSN 1260.

120 Responses to "HAMBURGER MIDNIGHT"

1. sliderule says:

I thought injury call ups didnt count against the four allowed?

sliderule:
    I thought injury call ups didnt count against the four allowed?

You are right, they don’t.

Unlimited injury call ups.

Only 1 more call up available for non-injury.

sliderule:
    I thought injury call ups didnt count against the four allowed?

I’m not absolutely clear on the rule, but believe if a player is called up before a game and then plays for a specific injured player, then it doesn’t count. However, Lander was recalled three games ago and was not returned immediately.

4. KSC10032 says:

With Joensuu reportedly in a walking cast after last night’s game, an injury recall for either Pitlick of Horak would be logical.

Probably Pitlick, as the RW.

Regardless, I have no objection to a regular recall for Lander. It appears that he’s learned all he can at the AHL level, and the Oilers need to find out what they (now) have here.

5. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Away on vacation so didn’t see the game. How did Lander play?

Also, to yesterday’s blog and your point LT of piling on our no.1′s, I think it would be appropriate, *if it were true*, for MacT to express publicly that suggestions that the Oil have given up on Yak and he is therefore in play are false and the organization will take the time and investment for Yak to fully develop. For them to not take this step is a definitive vote of non-confidence and an opportunity hedge to pull the trigger on the right deal. Will watch with interest on this one.

6. Ducey says:

Do we know anything about Austin Fyten?

6’2″ and lives up to his name. Put up a pp/g in his last year in the WHL. Is 22. 10 points in his last 19 is ok. Seems to have a better chance than Curtis Hamilton.

Is he just an enforcer or can he play?

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The Edmonton Oilers gave Anton Lander a start last night, meaning (I believe) three of the four allowed call-ups are now burned. ”

I see that it is unresolved… but I thought Lander was an emergency call-up last night as Gagner is injured. The call-up was certainly emergency… the questions are

1) did it turn into a non-emerg when Gagner played two games ago?

2) did it turn into a non-emerg last night because Gagner played the game before?

at any rate, I think there is still a chance Lander’s game last night was an emerg call. But I thought Larsen’s would be too because of Belov…

fucking arcane rules.

8. Andy P says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    Away on vacation so didn’t see the game. How did Lander play?

Unless, like Hemsky, Yak or his agent have informed MacT that he has no intention of re-signing here. In which case, like Hemmers, MacT salvages as many pennies on the $ as he can in the circumstances. Because Oilers.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“are legitimately intrigued by Anton Lander’s offense”

I have no idea. Last night you had him off to Alaska…

My concern is that someone — say Nelson — was lobbying hard for Lander, so the org. finally was like “fuck it, play him with Hall for a night and if puts up points, fine, otherwise, he’s done”

I wouldn’t be surprised if the internal line on Lander is “can’t score at the NHL” and that line was hardened last night after playing with skill… it would be a mistake, but I can see it.

I hope they play him out the string in the top 9. Also, if Lander was a non-emerg call-up after all you have to think they will keep him up and play him, no? otherwise, what’s the point?

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“He might even get some shifts with skill, or possibly a start at center. The Oilers have to use these final weeks as an audition for some of their young prospects. ”

Apparently Pitlick took lander’s spot last night as 1st line center. And, I’m guessing he was in on all the disciplines (like Lander)… we need to assume that is a kind of audition too.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey:
    Do we know anything about Austin Fyten?

6’2″ and lives up to his name.Put up a pp/g in his last year in the WHL.Is 22.10 points in his last 19 is ok.Seems to have a better chance than Curtis Hamilton.

Is he just an enforcer or can he play?

He’s a classic Scott addition. Find ECHL players who can provide offense when the prospects get injured or called up. He’s filled in nicely. Combs too.

I’d guess both have earned another contract, but I’d be surprised if it’s an NHL contract.

12. Henry says:

Lowetide: I’m not absolutely clear on the rule, but believe if a player is called up before a game and then plays for a specific injured player,then it doesn’t count. However, Lander was recalled three games ago and was not returned immediately.

This is the recent transactions list for the Barons:

03/13/2014 Anton Lander (C) Oklahoma City DEL Recalled from loan by Edmonton (NHL)
    03/13/2014 Anton Lander (C) Oklahoma City ADD Returned on loan from Edmonton (NHL)
    03/12/2014 Anton Lander (C) Oklahoma City DEL Recalled from loan by Edmonton (NHL)
    03/10/2014 Joey Leach (D) Oklahoma City ADD Recalled from loan to Bakersfield (ECHL)
    03/09/2014 Anton Lander (C) Oklahoma City ADD Returned on loan from Edmonton (NHL)
    03/08/2014 Anton Lander (C) Oklahoma City DEL Recalled from loan by Edmonton (NHL)
    03/07/2014 Oscar Klefbom (D) Oklahoma City DEL Recalled from loan by Edmonton (NHL)
    03/05/2014 Philip Larsen (D) Oklahoma City DEL Recalled from loan by Edmonton (NHL)
    03/04/2014 Philip Larsen (D) Oklahoma City ADD Returned on loan from Edmonton (NHL)

The way I read it, it seems that Lander was ‘sent down’ after not being needed for each game then ‘brought back up’ on an emergency basis to replace Sam.

This looks like the Oilers are trying to keep Lander’s call up from counting against their 4 which could be good news for one of Fedun, Arcobello and Pitlick. The problem for them is that they are contributing to a winning streak that is saving the Baron’s season.

If Detroit had Arco and Fedun, they would not lose them.

13. hunter1909 says:

I like what I’m seeing of Marincin so far. Looks like a potential top 4 player for sure.

Klefbom am also getting a big kick out of, particularly since wrote him off already(I hate injury prone players not named Glenn Anderson).. dude looks like a supreme skater, taking everything easy and simple just how a smart player does it. Makes intelligent decisions with the puck, once he’s made certain he’s got the .5 second to make the play and until he does he’s prepared to rag the puck a little with opposition forwards chasing him.

Eakins needs to go, unfortunately and until he’s gone this team is going nowhere. Katz needs to have a chat with MacT and explain to him that he’s used up another of his nine lives, but won’t get sacked over it either. This rookie AHL coach is just getting slaughtered.

Of course, another wasted season with Eakins comes with risk viz that new arena opening with a mediocre hockey team. I guess this is the big situation for Katz and his children to ponder.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Henry,

yea. and IIRC you have 24 hours to actually send the guy up or down and it is also contingent on travel availability, so they can probably have a lot of “paper transactions”

15. Bar_Qu says:

That Larsen recall really sticks in the throat right about now.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bar_Qu:
    That Larsen recall really sticks in the throat right about now.

Got to be Ricky O that bungled that, right?

17. hunter1909 says:

18. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Wonder how many paycheques Lander will be collecting next Friday.

19. CurtisS says:

At this point of time, Yakapov doesn’t deserve to even be in the NHL let alone the top 6 of a NHL team.

20. Mr DeBakey says:

Romulus Apotheosis: though I seem to recall Renney calling up Omark and sitting him in the pressbox for the balance of the season.

Renney called up Omark?
    Or did Tambo?

21. RexLibris says:

Henry: Lowetide,

If Detroit had Arco and Fedun, they would not lose them.

That isn’t necessarily true.

Detroit has let some interesting talent go over the years, including Tomas Fleischmann, Filpulla, Hudler, Quincey (whom they lost through waivers and later traded a prospect and a 1st round pick – Andrei Vasilekski – to re-acquire), and Shawn Matthias, to name a few.

What the Red Wings might have done differently is in regards to Lander. He likely wouldn’t have punched past the games-played mark making him waiver eligible next season after his ELC is finished had he been developed in their slow-cooker style development process.

22. Bar_Qu says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Got to be Ricky O that bungled that, right?

23. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Got to be Ricky O that bungled that, right?

Perhaps, but let’s keep things in perspective here.

If recalling Larsen means that the Oilers see Taylor Fedun walk as a free-agent in the summer, then this isn’t the end of the world.

A pain in the butt because we all like the kid and we’re used to, as Oiler fans, watching prospects leave and become players on other teams. But as managerial errors go, taken against the bulk of some of the other work (Petry’s current contract, the Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins extensions, Scrivens’ deal) it isn’t a damning offense.

All that aside, I had argued a few years ago that much of this rebuild is going to be decided by the competency of Olcyk in his position. The salary cap, and the sheer volume of prospects arriving at the same time, regardless of their real talent ceiling, means that decisions will have to be made quickly, accurately, and with little margin for error.

If the Larsen recall had cost the team Marincin, or they were faced with losing someone like Pitlick to waivers – as they are nearing with Lander next season – then there would be grounds for feces-fan-flinging, in my opinion.

24. Henry says:

RexLibris,

Good points, particularly regarding Quincey and Matthias. I think they felt Hudler and Fil were getting expensive to be lifers in their structure.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bar_Qu: My toast was burnt this morning & my oatmeal was too clumpy, which I also nlamed on Ricky O, naturally.

Is this some kind of defence of RO?

how do they manage to call up Larsen to fill in for the injured Belov and not do it right? Ricky O.

26. nycoil says:

CurtisS,

I’m sorry, but that’s nonsense. If he doesn’t, last year’s Calder winner doesn’t belong either. Yak is learning to play a two-way game. Would he have been better served spending last year with Nelson in OKC? If it were allowed within the rules, yes. So he has to learn at the major league level, but he belongs in the NHL. There aren’t 13 forwards on this team, or most any team, better than him.

Rom, agree on Lander. They’re letting him sink or swim in an offensive role, which also shows me management is skeptical he can put up boxcars in the show. In my opinion, they should have him on Gordon’s wing learning from a strong two-way 3C how to play the game. But instead play him with Hall and Perron and he better put up points or Alaska. Which would be a shame if true.

As for the callup I do think it is Pitlick as well. But hope they can sneak Arco and Fedun up using injury loopholes.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Mr DeBakey: Renney called up Omark?
    Or Tambo?

Tambo called him, Renney sat him. my mistake.

28. CurtisS says:

nycoil:
    CurtisS,

I’m sorry, but that’s nonsense. If he doesn’t, last year’s Calder winner doesn’t belong either. Yak is learning to play a two-way game. Would he have been better served spending last year with Nelson in OKC last year? If it were allowed within the rules, yes. So he has to learn at the major league level, but he belongs in the NHL. There aren’t 13 forwards on this team, or most any team, better than him.

Lol hes by far the worst player on this team, and possibly in the NHL. Last year we had no choice but to play him, this year, well he shouldnt of been on the team. Im a huge fan of Yaks but wow has he ever been bad.

29. Bar_Qu says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Is this some kind of defence of RO?

No, it is my lame attempt at humor. I agree on the incompetence thing.

The Larsen thing, IMO, is even worse when we consider he was put on waivers earlier that same week. It didn’t seem necessary, but once done remember you only have 4 recalls & use them on prospects, bit guts you are willing to give away.

30. Clarkenstein says:

hunter1909: Is it just me, or does anyone else think Taylor Hall purposely missed that shootout goal op last night?

It’s just you!

It’s such a huge jump from the AHL. Lander has had a good year there but last night it looked like
    he was a step behind the whole game.

Why does Eakins look so clueless during the game? Babcock is totally involved on the other hand. Love his passion and the fire in his belly.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Petry’s current contract

They didn’t go nearly long enough on that contract IMO.

RexLibris,

I think you are going too easy on the Larsen thing. Sure, it’s a small item, but also a clearly bungled one. As you say, in the cap world with so many prospects, esp. one’s with a lot of bonus money, the guy in charge of that is important… we can’t suffer fools in this position. Ricky O doesn’t get a lot of room for error here.

The way they handled the cap this season suggests they are petrified of the bonus money (the Smid-Bryz thing still chaps my gams), probably based on all the kids hitting in the last game last year. still it’s not careful management

32. OilFire says:

CurtisS:

^^^^^ This. Times one million.
    … Good thing he doesn’t play in the NHL.

33. Hammers says:

Didn’t see or here the game but nobody has mentioned how the team played .All 3 missed in shootout ? How the hell didn’t they have more goals considering how depleted Detroit is ? How did the lines play noticed Lander with Hall ? What about RNH line ? Anyone help .

34. elgruntus says:

CurtisS: Lol hes by far the worst player on this team, and possibly in the NHL……..Ima huge fan ….

Too funny

35. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: They didn’t go nearly long enough on that contract IMO.

RexLibris,

This isn’t RO’s first time messing something up like this, right? I seem to recall Paajarvi getting stuck in the AHL. And some other issues. Didn’t Kevin Lowe have to publicly defend him once? Accountability starts at the top and KL should be the one to go but we all know pigs will fly first so RO should be let go this summer for this latest screw up. Everyone is allowed a mistake. Multiple mistakes of the same nature when that is your primary function are not acceptable.

36. VanOil says:

CurtisS:

Yakupov is one of the few reasons I bother to watch Oilers games in the NHL right now. The more minutes the better, no other player in the NHL draws my attention as much.

Bold prediction this time next week Oilers will be ahead of Florida in the standings. The only game I see them winning over the next week is against Vancouver. The Oilers now have the goal tending that means every game is winable. Scrivens has been just remarkable and Fasth has been very good.

37. regwald says:

Bar_Qu: No, it is my lame attempt at humor. I agree on the incompetence thing.

My thoughts on the Larsen waivers and then call up was it smelled like freeing up a roster spot due to to a trade. Nothing happened and it it hindsight if they needed the extra dman, why send Larsen down ? I really think MacT had something in the hopper that he hoped to pull the trigger on.

38. saddleblazer says:

Yakupov doesn’t deserve to play in the NHL until he scores 50 in 50 or can prove he’s actually from Sarnia, Ontario.

39. Ribs says:

At this point in the season I don’t think it matters if they blow through their callups. Guys are always injured to some degree. The emergency calls leave them with little to no worry. Fraser’s already got a groin injury and those can linger for a very long time. Sounds like Joensuu is hurt again, Gagner is going to be iffy for a while. Has Larsen finally rid himself of his mystery illness?

40. The Great One says:

saddleblazer:

I just went back and looked at the sophomore seasons of the last 20 1st overall picks, whether forward or D, and believe me it ain’t a pretty picture.

That last 1st overall player to have a comparable sophomore season to Yakupov is Patrik Stefan back in 1999.

Stefan – 66GP 10G 21A 31P

Yakupov – 62GP 11G 13A 24P

Considering Yakupov had a very good rookie season IMO, perhaps the organization is trying to turn a round peg into a square peg which they can then try to pound into a round hole.

I wonder what Larionov is thinking?

41. slopitch says:

Yak should go to the AHL for the rest of the year. Kid needs his swagger back.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BTW: what is a hamburger midnight?

43. saddleblazer says:

The only way Yak goes to the AHL is if he wears a disguise.

44. saddleblazer says:

Or Yak could steal someone’s identity and go to the AHL. Maybe he could become Steve McDonald from Sarnia. Wear plaid. Hang out at Tim Hortons. Everyone’s new favourite lunch pail player.

45. TheOtherJohn says:

The Larssen call up is just more evidence of people not knowing the job they are given. Olczyk has made mistakes before and continues to make them. Zero accountability.

We got crushed by a very good STL team and outlasted by a Detroit team with a number of their better forwards out & playing 2-3 guys I have never heard of.

Oilerzz

Repeat an earlier comment: with the superb high end offensive skills of our top 6 forwards: why do we only have 6 more goals for than Calgary (who has a game in hand)? Is that Dubnyk’s fault too?

InfinitiRebuild indeed

46. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That is true, and I won’t say that Olcyk is the finest example of a cap specialist in the league, but Stan Bowman was Assistant GM of the Blackhawks and was reportedly to blame for those tardy RFA qualifying offers that resulted in the team having to trade away a number of bourgeoning young players. Tallon took the blame because he was the GM, and Bowman eventually became his replacement and has performed reasonably well.

The margin of error we provide these people with sometimes, given the calls they have to make, is narrow.

All that aside, Olcyk, and the rest of Oilers management need quite simply to be better. They cannot ask their players to “bring their A game to the rink every day” if they are not willing to reciprocate in the often-mundane duties of team management.

Attention to detail seems like it could quickly become an overall franchise motto.

A quick word on Yakupov. When you say “he doesn’t belong in the AHL” please provide proof. It isn’t enough to say it on this blog, we require proof. Thanks.

Hey, looks like Yakupov’s Corsi + 5×5

Oh, and here’s his 5×5 on-ice save percentage of .880!!!

Proof, ladies. It moves the conversation forward more effectively than anything but money and breasts.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    BTW: what is a hamburger midnight?

A song by Little Feat.

49. admiralmark says:

Am I the only one that see Joensuu’s inj as a positive? to my eye he has not been the answer at that position. Time to test drive some other options. I like the way Pitlick looked in the few games he was in earlier in the season. He seemed to get more and more physical as his confidence went up.

Bar_Qu: My toast was burnt this morning & my oatmeal was too clumpy, which I also blamed on Ricky O, naturally.

I blame Laforge.

51. Mr DeBakey says:

admiralmark: Am I the only one that see Joensuu’s inj as a positive?

“Fraser’s already got a groin injury” is doubleplusgood too

Mr DeBakey: No!
    “Fraser’s already got a groin injury”is doubleplusgood too

You get the feeling that its a coach induced groin injury.

53. saddleblazer says:

Sorry LT (and everyone else) – I misunderstood the age requirements and thought Nail was ineligible for the AHL this season.

54. Marcus Oilerius says:

Woodguy: You get the feeling that its a coach induced groin injury.

Did Babcock put a hit out on Fraser?

Because based on track record, it isn’t this coach…

55. OilFire says:

CurtisS:

OilFire: ^^^^^ This.Times one million.

… Good thing he doesn’t play in the NHL.

I don’t think it was me getting in trouble, but I don’t like the idea of Dad being mad at me, so I want to alert everyone that I make lame jokes. Always makes me wonder when someone is so sure they’re an expert on a guy’s playing quality but then don’t know his name.

56. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: You get the feeling that its a coach induced groin injury.

What like shot blocking practice and Fraser gets first and second team reps and, by the way boys, aim low?

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909: (I hate injury prone players not named Glenn Anderson).

You talking about the Glenn Anderson who played 770 of 800 games his last 10 years as an Oiler (with some of the missed games being due to suspension), and never missed a single playoff game, or some other, injury-prone Glenn Anderson? Cuz the Glenn Anderson I knew & Loved was well-nigh indestructible.

Bar_Qu:
    That Larsen recall really sticks in the throat right about now.

Why? The only question about the Larsen recall in my mind was why not leave him on the NHL roster (where he already was) rather than risk waiving him before the deadline. The answer seems to me to be to maximize the OKC roster for the playoff run / actual playoffs. (Similarly Oilers tried but failed to qualify Potter by exposing him on waivers, but lost him.)

Oilers had exactly 19 healthy bodies + Belov on their roster at 13:00 MDT on the deadline. Forces them to use a streamlined roster the rest of the way, but gives the Barons a Fyten chance.

Larsen is 20 months younger than Fedun and has played 115 NHL games to Fedun’s 4. What makes the commenters here so sure that Fedun is the better bet as a long-term NHLer? I’m as big a fan of Fedun as anybody, but seriously, I don’t see what’s so wrong about Larsen being above him on the pecking order.

slopitch:
    Yak should go to the AHL for the rest of the year.Kid needs his swagger back.

Yeah, send him to the minors! That’ll boost his confidence for sure. :|

58. Henry says:

Hey, looks like Yakupov’s Corsi + 5×5

Oh, and here’s his 5×5 on-ice save percentage of .880!!!

I look at those numbers and can’t believe there is no place for Arcobello on this frequently wretched team. His numbers are as good or better than everyone on the roster even with a 980 PDO. If tanking was part of it, why trade DD? I’d love to know if the send down was Eakins or MacT and the reasoning behind it.
    Edit – To me it has to be loading up the Barons, which hopefully means Arcobello is still possibly part of the long term plan.

59. hunter1909 says:

Bruce McCurdy: You talking about the Glenn Anderson who played 770 of 800 games his last 10 years as an Oiler (with some of the missed games being due to suspension), and never missed a single playoff game, or some other, injury-prone Glenn Anderson? Cuz the Glenn Anderson I remember was well-nigh indestructible.

*ducks*

I do remember Anderson being injured once. Does that get me any time off?

60. Henry says:

hunter1909,

I remember Anderson as pretty much a slinky. Messier got hurt frequently and would miss 10 or 20 games a year. Not surprising given his style back then.

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Simple stuff shouldn’t be a problem… and consistently.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909: *ducks*

I do remember Anderson being injured once. Does that get me any time off?

he did bang up a knee in his rookie season, limited him to just 58 games (& a mere 30 goals!). After that he was a rock.

I do recall him getting re-signed to an 8-year renewal (at $400K! those were the days) the week after the league introduced the tearaway goal posts (the Megg-Nets!) & thinking, then & now, that that was no coincidence. I was always terrified he’d rip up a knee driving the net. (Think of those 2 collisions Smytty had last night, but at about double the speed, & you’d have a typical Anderson game.) That he was so durable playing that style was amazing, never mind the fact that his opponents wanted to kill him. Andy was a beauty.

Henry:
    hunter1909,

I remember Anderson as pretty much a slinky.Messier got hurt frequently and would miss 10 or 20 games a year.Not surprising given his style back then.

A slinky is a perfect description. I used to call him “double-jointed”.

63. G Money says:

Here are a few things to think about if you are one of those.

Here are the stats from Yak’s first 10 games in the league: 5 goals, 3 assists. Those were racked up against patsy teams like SJSx2, LAK, VANx2, CGY, COLx2, PHX, and DAL.

Here are the stats from Yak’s last 15 games last year: 11 goals, 4 assists, including 2 goals against MIN and CGY and a hattie against VAN. That’s ppg ladies.

In between he went 23 games with just one goal. Streaky player. Young player. Player struggling to find his way in the NHL.

PPG. That’s the player Yak *could* be, and *should* be. Whether he *will* be is not yet known, but we should be far from giving up hope.

As for RNH, while we go gaga over Mackinnon and his 51 pts in 67 games, let us not forget Nuge’s first year: 52 pts in 62 games. That’s in the NHL, folks.

A few other reminders about the Nuge’s first year:
    - In his 3rd game, scored a hattie, setting a new NHL record for the earliest career hat trick for a first overall pick. (Also an Oilers record for the earliest career hat trick in fewest career games).
    - Rookie of the month October and November 2011, only the second player to do this two months in a row, the previous being Evgeni Malkin in 2007.
    - Recorded five assists in a game, only the fourth 18-year old player ever to do so

These are two fine fine young players.

Unfortunately, they’ve both gone backwards this year. Just like every other young player on the team, continuing what is now a two-year trend since Renney left.

It is interesting to note that the only players NOT to go backwards this year are the ones previously schooled by other teams in defensive play, guys like Perron, Gordon, and Hendricks.

There is a message in that last statement for us, but I don’t yet know what it is.

What I do know is that I am a long ways from worrying about Yak or Nuge. They are young players trying to find their NHL game under incredibly trying circumstances.

We have much to be sorry or pessimistic about this team this year, but let’s not cut bait on those few things that legitimately give us hope for the future.

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think this could be solved by adding another legal mind. RO went to Cornell for his law degree and did his undergrad at Brown… so, he should be pretty smart… maybe the job is just too big for him (though I imagine he has underlings)?

Simple stuff shouldn’t be a problem… and consistently.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: A song by Little Feat.

Thanks. That drum beat that opens the song.

someone could have a lot of fun with that. tight little break.

the title reminded me of this early MJF vehicle:

66. VanOil says:

Interesting Tank Battle tonight. NYI v Buffalo. Given Buffalo could have both picks, is it in Buffalo’s interest to maximize the value of the NYI pick or does this minimize the likelihood of Buffalo getting it?

Tank strategy is interesting in the abstract. I believe that players and coaches multi million dollar self interest in playing well trumps Machiavellian organizational concerns more often than not. Still it is fun to speculate. Opps I am speculating without proof, money or boobs LT or Bruce might bring the high heat.

67. ASkoreyko says:

Is anyone else here afraid to look directly at Marincin for fear that he might actually just be a mirage? How amazing will it be to finally start to see some of M in MBS deliver some talent to the big club outside of the 1st rounds?

I know this is a terrible stat to rely upon but Marincin is the only Oiler (that is still with the team) that is actually a + player! The kid has 30 games under his belt and is still leading the team in Corsi%. I just want it to be 30 games into season 2 so I can actually start using ink putting his name down in the top 4.

Also how about that Matt Hendricks? I was not the biggest fan of the trade myself but it looks like some of those professional hockey type people might know something sometimes afterall. I get not liking the contract but the team (Gordon) needed help now. If they could find another 3rd line veteran we might actually have a line of relative calm that can be put out there in times of extreme need.

The Great One,

Also DSF, of all the 1st overall picks that struggled in their second season how many of them had their head coach switched from year 1 to year 2?

Nail has essentially the perfect coach for a kid in his situation and he showed positive results. I remember when they eventually turned Kovalchuk into a more well rounded defensively minded player, these crazy talented kids can eventually learn the other aspects of the game but asking them to have the maturity at age 19 to be able to handle that is a tall order indeed. Nail’s entire existence up until this point has been him playing hockey the way Nail plays hockey and there was never any questioning. Yakupov will be the great test for Eakins and I am not sure who is more valuable to this organization, so perhaps they need to figure that out.

68. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod are both trained lawyers with respectable credentials. And yet…

I think there are those for whom “capology” (and I despise that term) would come relatively naturally, while others might struggle with the intricacies and arcana.

The role is an interesting hybrid, really. Because it is one part legal, one part Human Resources, and one part asset management. As opposed to standard Human Resources processes one cannot make decisions based solely on clear production lines with an actuarial table delineating the most likely course of professional development against equal and readily attainable candidates. There are, shall we say, intangibles that enter into the equation. Not least of which is the opinion of a GM and potentially owner who may unfairly alter the scales.

In this case I’m not certain that another voice is the best solution. Rather, perhaps they would do best to look outside the hockey world and find someone with eminent legal education but who has a strong background in the area of a CMA or something similar.

And to go back to my original point, it isn’t as though the Oilers are alone in this regard. Sutter pooched his salary cap so badly a few years back he could have hired a squeegee kid.

You don’t have to hire the best, but by Gord it might be worthwhile to at least aim for above-average.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: (I see the Larsen recall as an administrative *decision*, not an error.)

In what world do you not still take advantage of the emergency-call up, even if you want Larsen as one of your permanent NHL rostered players?

It doesn’t make sense. It makes even less when you consider they went on to scratch Larsen after calling him up in favor of Fraser.

CurtisS:

Hall was a Corsi monster under everyone but Eakins.
    Eberle is performing at the lower boundary of the standard deviation of his career under Eakins.
    Nugent-Hopkins played better with one arm under Krueger, than healthy under Eakins.
    Yakupov led the NHL in rookie scoring under Krueger, and is wandering in the desert under Eakins.
    Gagner was a competent soft minutes second line centre under 4 other coaches. He doesn’t look like an NHL player under Eakins.
    Two words. Power play.

I think the above answers the question of who really doesn’t belong in the NHL in his current position. What was a bold assertion six months ago, is now patently obvious. Craig Button is even willing to call a spade a spade.

71. RexLibris says:

the title reminded me of this early MJF vehicle:

Read that as Michael J. Fox.

;)

72. G Money says:

ASkoreyko: Nail has essentially the perfect coach for a kid in his situation and he showed positive results.

On the other hand, virtually all of the kids had their best results under Renney, despite playing as rookies and playing on a team that was talent-wise arguably worse than either RKs or DEs teams.

So (while I’m far from pulling the chute on Yak), I do idly wonder if we’d be suffering this angst if Yak had Renney as a coach in his first year …

73. Gino says:

Hammers,

Considering they played against a depleted Detroit roster they held it together to get a point. A typical game where a lot of time was spent in their own zone hemmed in trying to take the puck away from a team cycling the puck very well. Whenever they regained possession it was off the glass and out and so it would begin all over again with Detroit gaining the zone, repeat rinse twice. Lander was given the chance to center a line in the top six and played a safe game (give the puck to Hull or Perron who would push the offense on the line) and played smart and defensive the whole game. The Nuge, Eberle and Yak line were average in this game and kept things simple in their zone and never really were able to cycle the puck in the Detroit zone. The best line in the early part of the game was Gordon, Hendricks & Jonsseau they cycled the puck well and were a constant headache for the Detroit defence. The line of Smyth, Gadzic & Jones were a non factor although when Smyth was put with Gordon & Hendricks the Red Wings couldn’t handle the pressure applied and coughed up the puck to Smyth who scored a goal top shelf. Klefbom didn’t embarrass himself again and is making things interesting for future evaluation of our defence going forward. Goaltending was not an issue in the game as Fasth didn’t give up any free ones and the shot totals were limited by lots of blocked shots.

74. G Money says:

RexLibris: Because it is one part legal, one part Human Resources, and one part asset management.

They need my parents and grandparents on this.

Grandfather #1 – accountant
    Grandfather #2 – lawyer
    Father – mathematician
    Mother – economist

Unfortunately, you’d need a medium for three of the four… :-(

75. G Money says:

RexLibris: What I find endlessly confusing is how men who have manipulated and managed their way to untold fortunes then leave these vanity investments like sports teams to run their asset management and allocation programs so frivolously.

76. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: From an admin perspective: let’s say you want Larsen back up. Ok. But the timeline coincides with a rostered player, playing the same position suffering a long term injury (they said Belov was out for two weeks or so).

I don’t have all the answers, for example I don’t know if it’s legal to run with a roster of 19 healthy bodies (1 below minumum) at deadline so maybe that first recall has to be a “counter” to get the active roster up to NHL minimum. There’s all kinds of fine print in that document & I have no intention of reading most of it, that’s Ricky Olczyk’s job. :)

But if the Oilers’ decision re: Larsen was “you’re one of our 7 D the rest of the way but we want you to be eligible for Calder Cup playoffs” that is entirely consistent with what they actually did with him.

(see also: this)

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I should add on this Larsen thing that I don’t have a good or even marginal grasp on the CBA and all these legal issues, so it is entirely possible that what I think the obvious move should have been was impossible in some way.

78. RexLibris says:

VanOil,

That is an interesting lab experiment.

But I don’t think management has that much say in the actual on-ice performance of the players.

They can ask the coach to dress the 3rd string goalie and put the star forward on the checking line, but in the end the players are the ones who play.

I reminded of a story about the Blackhawks back in 2004. The way it was told was that management wanted to lose the last game of the year to ensure they had a crack at either Ovechkin or Malkin in the draft, so they told the coach to dress the more questionable goalie.

They went and won the game and the owner went ballistic.

They ended up drafting Barker 3rd overall.

Maybe it is apocrypha, maybe not, but either way it does speak to the limits of management’s impact on the outcome of

79. VanOil says:

hunter1909: *ducks*
    I do remember Anderson being injured once. Does that get me any time off?

A story from Oilers lore involves Anderson out enjoying him self one evening and some how walking across some broken glass. Not wanting to burden the Oilers trainers with modifying his equipment to deal with the resulting injuries he turned to outside help. He went out and played with his cut up feat in modified skates and was still the best skater in the NHL.

If true, what a polite young man not wanting to trouble the trainers with injuries suffered away from the rink and what a brave young man out skating the NHL with cut up feet.

80. RexLibris says:

G Money: They need my parents and grandparents on this.

Grandfather #1 – accountant
    Grandfather #2 – lawyer
    Father – mathematician
    Mother – economist

Unfortunately, you’d need a medium for three of the four…

81. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: Given the posts of late, it seems many have turned on young Nuge and Yak. Failures already. Wow.

Count me not,
    Among those in a knot.
    A reactionary lot are they.
    It’s amazing to me,
    How they live to see,
    The dark turn back to the day.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: The way they went was always going to be a shitty deal for some of Larsen, Klefbom, Fedun, Arcobello, Lander, Pitlick, Horak in terms of getting them NHL time, but it guaranteed all of them would be around for AHL playoffs, and most of them would be involved on getting the Barons there in the first place. Feel free to disagree with it, but to me that is an organization decision that displays some sort of consistent vision.

In case it’s not clear: my confusion over the move doesn’t mean I know the answers either.

One thing I’d really like though is a press corps that got to ask someone about this stuff, which all seems pretty clear cut. Either you can do x or not. Sure it’s arcane, but someone should be able to ask the relevant questions and get the relevant answers to the public. some transparency would be nice and would probably put the Oilers in a better light as we wouldn’t have to question them in the dark.

83. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris: Sorry to hear that, but also, if your family is akin to mine, you’d also need an interpreter and a trained mediator.

… and a seer.

84. RexLibris says:

G Money: Didn’t you kind of answer your own question when you correctly labelled them “vanity investments”?

True, but a sports team is still an asset. How does someone pay such close attention to markets and economies and then willfully decide to just let the dice land where they may on something in which they ostensibly have such an emotional investment?

Presumably these are individuals who want to win more than most. The sporting world is uniquely structured to reward winning in grandiose public fashion, so one would think that the psychological rewards are apparent and identifiable enough to spur even the most lethargic owner to action.

85. Gino says:

The closest Oiler version of Anderson today has to be Hall, he skates just as reckless and has even started the old Anderson face wash into the other players face at the end of a play.

86. VanOil says:

RexLibris:
    VanOil,

That is an interesting lab experiment.

They went and won the game and the owner went ballistic.

They ended up drafting Barker 3rd overall.

Barker 3d in that draft was a horrible horrible result. Gameing the tank battle is tough sleding with both the lottery and the bet on unproven young men.

87. TheOtherJohn says:

R Olczyk needs to understand the CBA. Frontwards, backwards and sideways. He does not need to be 1 part legal, 1 part HR advisor & 1 part asset manager. He could his job without legal training but it would definitely help. If he knew the CBA cold he would not keep making these straightforward mistakes.

In a perfect world he would also do all sorts of forward projections on roster possibilities to assist MacT in knowing what kind of $$ space he has for signing players.It would be unlikely to matter because we overpay everyone we sign. Excepting Hall, of course.

88. The Great One says:

ASkoreyko,

To be honest, without an exhaustive search (please feel free to scour the records since you brought up the issue) how many 1st overall picks had different head coaches in their sophomore season but I expect there is more than one.

But not one player since Stefan has struggled so much in their second season.

As for Kovalchuk,I also don’t know when the defensive light went on for him but his offensive production is pretty much a straight line for year 1 onward so I don’t see how he is much of an example to support Yakupov’s lack of offence.

And this is certainly not an indictment of the kid but, IMO, a very real question about how his development is being handled.

If Dreger’s comments the other day about “Yak being shopped but no one wants him” have any kernel of truth to them, then I think the organization’s handling of Yak becomes a big red flag.

89. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: See earlier comment also… and now reading your response here’s another thing I hadn’t considered, AHL playoff eligibility.

I second this motion. It would be nice to get a confirmation from the organization that this was the only way to get Larsen up here, and then I owe Olczyk and apology for jumping to conclusions.
    It is probably good fan relations-keeping anyway to explain a few thoughts at this point in the year so that the masses at least know there is a plan out there to make good use of the last 14 games of the year

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: (Similarly Oilers tried but failed to qualify Potter by exposing him on waivers, but lost him.)

just saw this.

It’s possible they wanted to lose one or both to waivers to clear up space/salary

On Larsen/Fedun. My issue was purely about roster management. I don’t have a problem if they value Larsen over Fedun. I do have a problem with Larsen’s potential to still be ill… that’s mostly a human sympathy/concern thing though.

91. nycoil says:

The Great One,

Mr. Fox, I think Dreger must have misspoken on that point. If he is telling the truth it is likely that no one wants him at the price the Oilers are asking, not that no one wants him. MacT overvalues his players, according to some, remember. Well good, he absolutely shouldn’t trade Yak for pennies on the dollar.

As for Stefan, it is a different era and I just see too much desire in Yak’s personality to let that happen. He has the tools, and he is clearly paying more attention to checking in his own zone than he was at the start of the year, probably at a detriment to his scoring. He isn’t that great at it either: he has his head on a swivel watching the point man but he isn’t fluid with that, and sometimes he is too passive in his gap control and sometimes too aggressive. I would call it Ference-itis. But he is making the effort required of him by his coach. Now is he happy in that role? Probably not. He loves scoring goals. But he is learning that if he checks he gets ice time and that beats riding the pine.

I see too many tools in him to be Stefan. All he needs is some confidence and time and space and he can be deadly like he was against the Rangers in MSG. I don’t think Nuge and Eberle are good linemates for him that way. He needs a wrecking ball like Hall or a stong centre at this point in his career. The problem with the Oilers isn’t the talent but the mix. It can be solved.

Tell me you wouldn’t see the Canucks salivating at the thought of having hYak on Kesler’s wing (if they don’t move him).

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: I don’t think it comes down to where one went to school or their educational pedigree.

Sure. I wasn’t trying to make a straight forward appeal to academic creds. but all the same RO made it through some tough schools. Just trying to even out my distaste for him with some balance.

If not more people, maybe a demotion? Some people thrive in one setting over another.

93. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

The Great One: I’m reminded of Hemsky’s comments a few years back…”they want me to be a checker”.

I recall that as the end of MacTavish, he resigned at the end of that season iirc

Scary version, he’s building the same team that hovered around 9-8-7 for so many years.
    I’m still at a loss as to how they plan on fixing defense without breaking up the offense, maybe the Yakupov rumors are true, if they are, I can’t see his selling to high.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Read that as Michael J. Fox.

is there another MJF?

95. sliderule says:

Renney in hindsight was by far the best oiler coach since Mact.

His leaving /firing was strange as he got hit on the head with a puck and RK took over a few games.After that he seemed reticent to take over and I had the feeling he was relieved to get out of here.

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: As I’ve said a bunch of times – looking at Yak’s actual results, I think Krueger was as terrible a coach for Yak as he was for the rest of the team.

97. Hammers says:

Bruce McCurdy: Doesn’t Scott Howson have a role in all this? My thought at the time of his (re-)hire was that these niggling little issues should go away. And so far, they have. (I see the Larsen recall as an administrative *decision*, not an error.)

98. Hammers says:

Gino:
    Hammers,

Thanks

99. The Great One says:

nycoil:
    The Great One,

While I agree Yakupov has all the tools, skating, shooting, and even a modicum of truculence, the question is, “does he have the toolbox?”

I don’t think that question has been answered one way or the other but I question if the Oilers are using him in a fashion that will allow it to be answered.

100. Bank Shot says:

I’m surprised to see so much fretting over how the Oilers are using their 4 call ups after the trade deadline.

With the exception of Arcobello, these other farm callups (Pitlick, Horak, Fedun) are most likely NHL replacement level at best.

I think it’d be a failure if these guys are starting next season on the OIlers roster. The last thing a d-core that will probably be boasting all of Klefbom, Marincin, and Nurse needs is Fedun.

Gordon needs two real thrid liners to play with and Smytty is still a better player at 38 then any of the call ups will likely ever be.

Probably the best reason to call any of the remaining guys up would be to play them with the Oilers talent in an attempt to boost their trade value for the long awaited 3 for 1. I’m not sure playing for the current Oilers team would help though.

101. OilClog says:

godot10: Hall was a Corsi monster under everyone but Eakins.
    Gagner was a competent soft minutes second line centre under 4 other coaches.He doesn’t look like an NHL player under Eakins.
    Two words.Power play.

This!

102. Henry says:

sliderule:
    Renney in hindsight was by far the best oiler coach since Mact.

sliderule,

I thought that the way Lowe and Tambi left Renney waiting for a contract or not for weeks was disgraceful. I also thought Renney wanted to guide the kids to the next level and was genuinely disappointed that he couldn’t. I also felt his public handling of it did him a lot of credit.

During Renney’s last year, MPS was handled strangely. On the other hand, Petry and Smid took large steps forward, Whitney played well before his injury and the Oilers had confidence. They embarrassed the Chicago Blackhawks twice and people respected their speed despite not ‘playing the right way’.

The Oilers would have been best off with Kruegar running the power play (he was good at that) and Renney running the games and MacT as GM. The wrong guy left that summer. It should have been Tambi.

103. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: … and a seer.

We’ve already hired a medium as per original comment.

Not sure if it the Long Island or Whoopi Goldberg/Ghost variety, though.

That being said, there are some living relations with whom my communication might benefit from the use of a Ouija board.

104. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: My lingering question is: Renney was the only one to get two years. how much success is gained by simply having that second year with the same group?

This is an absolutely relevant question, and is part of the predicament that we have when assessing the Oilers and Eakins. How much of the turmoil this year is simply “yet another coach” syndrom? How much of Renney’s positive effect in Year 2 was simply a result of stability?

Certainly the Flambes this year are being pointed to for their pluck and hard work, and the same question can be asked about coaching stability. They are a much harder working, structured team then they were last year, and getting more out of less – under the same coach.

How much improvement would we then expect to see in Year 2 of Eakins?

Is keeping him and giving him year 2 and the players some coaching stability the lesser of two evils over bringing in the fifth coach in six years?

Is the apparent refusal or inability of certain players to play a disciplined game poor coaching, or deliberate coach killing? And would a second year of Eakins give them the clear message of play the right way or get out?

And whither poor Gagner, who takes all kinds of shit but has had five different coaches in his seven years in the league?

There are no easy questions, let alone answers, with this team.

105. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: So you should have. It’s one of his first films. he looks about 12, but I believe he was actually 20.

is there another MJF?

Okay. I didn’t click on the link (working today and the walls are caving in at times). ;)

I watched his interview with Stroumboulopoulos a few years back and came away very impressed. I always thought highly of him but just chalked that up to idealized notions of him as Alex P. Keaton and Marty McFly.

There’s a hilarious scene he does with Denis Leary in Rescue Me where he confronts Leary’s character about sleeping with his wife. Couldn’t find it online.

There is this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D54nRdWwik

106. anonymous says:

Yak has been so over coached this season he’s tentative at everything he does. He’s not even close to the problem. Without Eakins the kids would have all progressed and likely would have been having fun playing, even if they didn’t get to the playoffs.

Why have Hopkins killing penalties this year, let him and his line get rolling. He’s got a whole career to turn into Steve Yzerman.

Stupid coach.

107. book¡je says:

The Great One: To be honest, I think the Canucks would take a long look at Yakupov’s struggles on offence and defense and have second thoughts…which I think is how the rest of the league views him as well.

I’m not sure. I wonder if the rest of the league don’t look at the Oiler players as kids who have been messed up terribly by the organization who could be had at a bargain and fixed.

108. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hammers: Or maybe McT wanted him to get picked up just like Potter but he has 1 more year .

Larsen’s contract is up at the end of this season, as is Potter’s.

RexLibris: We’ve already hired a medium as per original comment

I was thinking the medium for the grandparents, & the seer to interpret the CBA.

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One:
    ASkoreyko,

But not one player since Stefan has struggled so much in their second season.

Not sure what the Kovalchuk angle is but he’s a lot like Yak in that he gets shat on by a lot of people paid to have opinions about hockey.

Lansky ripped him hard on LT’s show once as a “failed 1st OV” or some such, yesterday he said on twitter he said “underachieving” which is bupkis.

There’s a brand of hockey follower that will never give Russians a break.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Mr. Back-tracker

Ha!

just trying to get as many angles on this as possible. The problem is… you don’t get that much room for doubt when you are the Oilers and when you don’t have a media presence that asks serious questions about things like this instead of BS about Yak.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:
  112. bendelson says:

book¡je: I’m not sure.I wonder if the rest of the team don’t look at the Oiler players as kids who have been messed up terribly by the organization who could be had at a bargain and fixed.

That’s the Hemsky angle you have mentioned before. I think Gagner fits this category. He will bounce back on another team and make it a real challenge for MacT to ‘win’ the trade.

Note: I don’t think this means he shouldn’t be traded – it’s just the way it is…

113. leadfarmer says:

IF you’re looking for a song title for this team this one is more appropriate.

The Great One:
    ASkoreyko,

But not one player since Stefan has struggled so much in their second season.

Did you look for a #1 overall pick who wasn’t an automatic on the top 6 due to 3 others in the same position who were better than him? (Perron, Eberle, Hemsky all have played RW)

Probably not because #1 overall tend to get all the cherry ice time on a team, but the Oilers have been so historically bad he wasn’t first in line for that ice time.

Still have no clue why PP #1 doesn’t have him as the main shooting option. That’s bad coaching.

Otherwise Yak’s position is unique.

Add to the fact that Krueger didn’t teach him a lick of positional play and Eakins had his hands full to start the year.

I think he’s been great for the last 15 games or so.

Still needs to the be the first shooting option on PP1.

115. Chris says:

Yea Willis’ piece just about covers the question of “why are the Oilers so bad?” The rest of the answer is not retaining useful vetrans like Roloson, Torres, Penner, Glencross, Hedja.

116. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    Jon Willis hits a frozen rope that was still climbing when it hit the seats:

Had to google ‘Frozen Rope’.

117. The Great One says:

book¡je: I’m not sure.I wonder if the rest of the league don’t look at the Oiler players as kids who have been messed up terribly by the organization who could be had at a bargain and fixed.

If they get them at a bargain, like Yakupov for a 2nd, they might bite.