“IN A GOOD WAY, LIKE BROTHERS”

Maybe last night’s game will be remembered for more than the win. Edmonton, doing their usual “skating around without thought” routine, worked smart and the tumblers clicked in a 3-2 comeback win against the Islanders. The cause? An emotional and loud intermission.

nielson quoteireland quote

Sure one would hope this team didn’t need that kind of ass-kicking between periods, but it’s also true the club was playing with an overwhelmed D group (sans Petry, mind) and a fourth line with issues. On December 27, the Oilers were 39GP, 12-24-3. In the 25 games since, Edmonton is 10-10-5. In their last 10: 6-2-2. They are absolutely riding Scrivens .941 to their most recent record.

RECORD BOOK

smyth pp goalsmyth quoteReally important and enjoyable moments don’t come along often these days for Oiler fans. Ryan Smyth’s bullet (hey, it’s a record, we’re allowed to embellish!) found twine and got things rolling for the Oildrop. 99 was in the house, so was the best center he ever played with (Weight) and it was a very nice touch. I hope he spends one more year at his current job, and wonder if the club might ask him on as a coach when things are done. I know this team hires too many of its own, but can you think of a better instructor on things like corner work? Standing in front of the net? Passing and taking a pass? And he’s not just some ordinary superstar, this guy worked his bag off every night.

marincin commonMartin Marincin lost his partner and kept on ticking. I think it’s a very good rule to wait 200 games before saying a defenseman is a full-fledged contributor to success, but there are exceptions. Marincin is very early in his NHL career and looks truly capable. I know, I know, wait until next year to see if he can do it again. I’ll say this: Oiler fans will be hard pressed to remember a more impressive defensive debut. Mr. Wingspan can play the game.

parkatti marincin

CORSI FOR 5X5 PERCENTAGE, OILERS BLUE

1. Marincin 50.7
  2. Petry 47.8
  3. Belov 46.4
  4. Larsen 43.8
  5. Schultz 42.9
  6. Ference 42.9
  7. Fraser 39.2

I think it might be time to call up another of Nelson’s men. The last one they called up is making the NHL players look bad. I expect Edmonton recalls Klefbom for the Sunday game if he plays tonight and keeps it healthy. I don’t think there’s any reason to wait at this point. If they want a righty to replace Petry (don’t know how long he’ll be out) then by all means recall Fedun. He’s earned it, and his Corsi 5×5 for % during his cup of coffee was 45.7%.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

riggIt’s Friday and lots shaking on the Lowdown this morning at 10. TSN 1260, scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Bigmouth Sports. Trade deadlines, past and present.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP. OK’s winding down the regular season, but still plenty to play for—including some impressive boxcars.
  • Chris Corbiel, Edmonton Rush. The team is on an historic run, we’ll talk about that story and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders (seriously).
  • Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. Hemsky’s legacy, does Smyth return for another year, Justin Schultz’ next contract.
  • FC Edmonton, as they get ready for the season.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter, Sportcology. We’ll talk about the Paralympics as they get started.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’s Friday! We’ll have fun.

98 Responses to "“IN A GOOD WAY, LIKE BROTHERS”"

1. Halfwise says:

I used to be a smoker. Loved it. But knew I should quit because it was a stupid dirty habit.

Then something would happen that got me smoking again. Later I would wonder why I was a slave to this habit.

This team is like cigarettes.

2. Marcus Oilerius says:

Kassian off to see the disciplinary committee again.

This is why I don’t understand why so many people are saying Marincin should start in the AHL next year.

I’m all about “Actual NHL players” more than most, but you also need to look at the evidence.

Martin Marincin has been the Oilers most effective Dman this year.

He just has.

Also,

They way the team celebrated the OT goal really spoke to them playing for each other.

Whatever happened during the game or during the intermission left a mark and the OT goal brought them together more than at any time during this year.

If Scrivezina continues to put up gaudy SV% and the new call ups on D out perform Larsen/Fraser then Oilers will finish the year at 27th or 26th.

4. pboy says:

40 minutes of nothing followed by 20 minutes of heart and commitment. Not good enough.

I think MacT will trade away 2 members of the core (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov & Gagner) for a real Top Pairing d-man and a bigger forward with some skill. Personally, I think it will be Yak and Gagner who move out. MacT will sign a UFA d-man and he will bring in more size.

I think we make our 1st round pick at the draft.

Smyth will get another season, Fraser, Jones and Belov and will be looking for work elsewhere.

It won’t be enough for a playoff team but might equate to a playoff push or at least meaningful games in February.

My 2 cents.

5. russ99 says:

Glad to see the coaches and players show some fire, but still, the same glaring issues we’ve seen in game one are what we saw yesterday, 3 forwards playing behind the net, guys getting caught when the flow goes the other way, turnovers in every zone, etc. The only difference is that we have a good goalie that can bail us out on our myriad screw-ups.

I’m willing to give Eakins a shot next year for continuity’s sake with actually qualified assistants and a better roster, but for the love of Pete, he can’t keep grinding the same stuff in over and over to these guys, there has to be some adjustment, and it’s most telling that it’s not happening with in-game management.

His quote after the olympic break is most telling, (paraphrasing) this is how we’re going to play next year so we have to clean it up now and I’m not going to work on systems in training camp. No sign of any kind of different thinking, this is it, win or lose.

That’s a hell of a way to coach at any level… Someone who’s been there before really needs to take him aside, and if MacT’s duties don’t allow for it, than an associate coach with NHL head coaching experience is a must.

6. Captain Smarmy says:

Marincin and Scrivens are pretty good hockey mens.

Wanting Marincin to be in the AHL is dumb. Optimized contracts, payroll and player control are dumb as hell if you’re shutting deserving players out from living their dream.

Marty could fall on some hard times and deserve to be sent down and it would be dumb to pencil him in as a top 4 next season but the dude paid his dues and succeeds.

7. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:

Martin Marincin has been the Oilers most effective Dman this year.

He just has.

I think the question of whether he starts in the NHL next year or not is a no-brainer. The question is whether the Oilers should pencil him into the Top 4. I’d prefer they view him as a 3rd pairing option. Unfortunately they’d have to bring in two bonafide Top 4 left shooting D-men over the summer in order to make that happen and I’m not sure how that gets done. If the Oilers can bring in one real left-shooting top 4 D-man and bump Marincin down to the second pair, I’d call that success at this point.

One added benefit of Marincin… if he keeps this up, he just might force Nurse back to another year of Junior.

8. pboy says:

No longer J Schultz, just Schultz on the jersey now.

9. Captain Smarmy says:

Oh and Fraser sucks.

10. russ99 says:

Captain Smarmy,

Lol, yeah but he punches some mean face.

11. Clarkenstein says:

I’m glad they won LT. Just for you. For your sanity.

A sure sign Marincin has “arrived”… his little dangle with the puck behind the net looking for a setup ala Hemsky. Assuming the team will do the obvious and replace the ass’t coaches it would be a crime if Nelson doesn’t get an ass’t job to continue working with these kids.

12. Jordan says:

Woodguy:

Martin Marincin has been the Oilers most effective Dman this year.

He just has.

Agreed whole-heartedly. He’s been a revelation. I wonder how much of his effectiveness is connected with Nelson teaching him Eakins’ system? I know it hasn’t been brought up much recently, but based on results, I think Nelson is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the teams’ development.

Woodguy:

I’m done holding my breath hoping that this team comes together. If it does, great. If not… they will keep being disfunctional for a while longer.

Woodguy:

Unless you look at the schedule. Even if they win the next couple easy games, they still have the vaunt ahead of them. I’d put their odds of the Oilers moving up the standings about as good as winning a land war in Asia without a general named Temujin.

13. justDOit says:

Are the Smothers Brothers coaching the PP? Take it – no you take – no you…

Would the rules allow the Oilers to only put 4 players on the ice during a PP? Last night they were even at 5v4, but I think their overall record 4v4 is quite good. Still sounds stoopid, but this futility with the man advantage has to stop.

14. G Money says:

With the Perfesser in net, the Oilers are starting to use the Maple Leaf method. Get badly outplayed shotwise, let your keeper hold you in it, play hard in spurts, and score just enough to win.

This game was kind of a mirror image reply of the Oilers OT loss to the Leafs early in the year. I would say its karma, but of course, it’s the Isles, and also if karma existed all Oiler fans would have won 6/49 by now.

On a completely unrelated note, did anyone see the Hotels.com ad last night starring “Captain Obvious”?

The funny thing is that the guy on the commercial is in fact somewhat how I picture Caramel Obvious (formerly Colonel Obvious formerly Captain Obvious).

15. G Money says:

justDOit:
    Are the Smothers Brothers coaching the PP? Take it – no you take – no you…

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!

Much of the PP criticism (rightly so) has fallen on the laughable zone entries.

I also noticed how quickly the Isles moved the puck on the PP compared to the Oilers, so for the last two PP (one each), I did a quick time-puck-held comparison of the Oilers vs the Isles (their PP looked a lot more dangerous despite the Smyth goal).

On average, the Isle hold the puck for a second or two before making a quick pass. It gets the PK team out of position pretty quickly.

The Oilers hold the puck for anywhere from three to four seconds (sometimes even longer) before passing. The other team very rarely gets out of position.

Mole asses in January.

16. Pouzar says:

You guys needed to see Marincin last night to realize he shouldn’t be in the AHL?

I was arguing this point yesterday afternoon with no backup from any of you!
    *pointing fingers*
    *slamming fist on desk*

Help a brutha out!!!!!

17. Caramel Obvious says:

Thoughts from the game.

Periods one and two were terrible. Everything bad about this team was on display. Which is everything about this team. I found myself wondering is it the players or is it the coach? For all my defending of Eakins it is plain as day that this team hasn’t gotten any better. That said, I don’t see how you can do anything but blame the players. They can’t pass. They don’t skate. They go offside routinely. Sure the bottom end of the roster is full of replacement level hockey players but these things are true about Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle just as much.

And clearly Eakins saw the same thing and the third period was different. Maybe Eakins is the problem and things will be different with another coach however even then this is confusing cause and effect. This team will get better when the players they already have raise their level.

Marincin is a revelation. I loved the offensive game he brought. The confidence to jump into the play from the D is exactly what this team needs. You can’t generate offense with only three guys. You need the D to hold the line and jump into the rush.

Which brings up Larsen. I’ve always liked him more than most and yesterday was why. He is aggressive in joining the play all over the ice. That’s how I want my D to play. He’s not an all-star but he brings what this team needs. I would keep him for next year as my #7.

As to Fraser, I think the love for him comes from the first point. He’s not any good but he competes all the time and the coach needs, or thinks he needs, to have players he can point to and say “that’s what it looks like to try all the time.” Hendricks is the same. I think the coach knows he’s a liability but in the first two periods the good players were liabilities too. Until the good players become actually good this team needs examples.

Finally, it isn’t a popular viewpoint around here but Hopkins offense is very disappointing for a first overall pick. So much of the letdown of this team comes from the fact that Hall isn’t as good as Tavares (yet, I have hopes), Hopkins is only ok, and Yakupov isn’t anything (again yet). The Oilers had the misfortune to draft first overall three years in a row but two of those years didn’t have a legitimate first overall pick.

18. Pouzar says:

Just to continue my lovefest for all things Marincin….

Can we please let him hammer the damn puck from the blue line on the PP for sh!ts and giggles?

19. nelson88 says:

With all due respect LT, enough with the “overwhelmed D and a fourth line with issues” excuses. Their at home, playing a bottom feeder with significant injury issues that traded away key players at the deadline and they can’t show up for the first 40 minutes. WTF.

I think we all agree that this team has holes and does not have the talent/maturity level to be a real contender but their performance this year is truly embarrassing. That is on management, the coaches and the “core”, not the lunch bucket brigade.

20. thejonrmcleod says:

After the first two periods, there was talk on Twitter of the Oilers quitting on Eakins. Looks like that wasn’t the case.

21. Caramel Obvious says:

G Money,

I didn’t watch the ads so I can neither confirm nor deny the resemblance. Was he handsome and charismatic?

22. Hammers says:

If Klefbom can play like Marincin we may get away with 1 more “D” . I still wonder about the so called experts out there on all the networks . None of them have even mentioned Marincin as a good let alone great add for the Oilers . Re last night , really the game was CRAP other than the last 10-15 minutes . Eakins & his crew need to get a message through to these guys about being a pro and giving 100% for all 3 periods . You can count on 1 hand those who did .

23. Pouzar says:

The complete lack of effort in the 1st 2 periods was disgusting. What a lifeless team. I can’t see that being on the coach. I think Perron, Hendricks, and Gordon were the only ones who gave a crap.
    If the kids do hate their coach weez in trouble.

24. Hammers says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Thoughts from the game.

Periods one and two were terrible.Everything bad about this team was on display.Which is everything about this team.I found myself wondering is it the players or is it the coach?For all my defending of Eakins it is plain as day that this team hasn’t gotten any better.That said, I don’t see how you can do anything but blame the players.They can’t pass.They don’t skate.They go offside routinely.Sure the bottom end of the roster is full of replacement level hockey players but these things are true about Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle just as much.

And clearly Eakins saw the same thing and the third period was different.Maybe Eakins is the problem and things will be different with another coach however even then this is confusing cause and effect.This team will get better when the players they already have raise their level.

Marincin is a revelation.I loved the offensive game he brought.The confidence to jump into the play from the D is exactly what this team needs.You can’t generate offense with only three guys.You need the D to hold the line and jump into the rush.

Which brings up Larsen.I’ve always liked him more than most and yesterday was why.He is aggressive in joining the play all over the ice.That’s how I want my D to play.He’s not an all-star but he brings what this team needs.I would keep him for next year as my #7.

As to Fraser, I think the love for him comes from the first point.He’s not any good but he competes all the time and the coach needs, or thinks he needs, to have players he can point to and say “that’s what it looks like to try all the time.”Hendricks is the same.I think the coach knows he’s a liability but in the first two periods the good players were liabilities too.Until the good players become actually good this team needs examples.

Finally, it isn’t a popular viewpoint around here but Hopkins offense is very disappointing for a first overall pick.So much of the letdown of this team comes from the fact that Hall isn’t as good as Tavares (yet, I have hopes), Hopkins is only ok, and Yakupov isn’t anything (again yet).The Oilers had the misfortune to draft first overall three years in a row but two of those years didn’t have a legitimate first overall pick.

What about the Taylor /Tyler argument seems he had 5 points last night and is proving he is a top player . Mind you he needed to be traded to rise to the top .

25. Caramel Obvious says:

If there was something I’d like to criticize it is the presence of Ryan Jones on the ice. Total waste of space and we all know he won’t be back.

If there is an effort level problem the answer is to call up Lander, Arcobello, and Horak and let them play together. They’ll be hungry and that will drive the energy.

Of course I also want to call up Klefbom and Fedun but that’s five. So I’ll call this a mistake already by management, especially since they probably want a look at Pitlick too. Two of those guys should have been called up prior to the deadline and Jones should have been on waivers.

26. Caramel Obvious says:

Hammers,

The trade matters. I put Seguin in the same camp as Hall. They’ve both scored and yet neither is at the Tavares level of dominance.

Seguin has better teammates. That matters too.

27. Pouzar says:

Caramel Obvious:
    If there was something I’d like to criticize it is the presence of Ryan Jones on the ice.Total waste of space and we all know he won’t be back.

If there is an effort level problem the answer is to call up Lander, Arcobello, and Horak and let them play together.They’ll be hungry and that will drive the energy.

Of course I also want to call up Klefbom and Fedun but that’s five.So I’ll call this a mistake already by management, especially since they probably want a look at Pitlick too.Two of those guys should have been called up prior to the deadline and Jones should have been on waivers.

Are there any allowances for injuries when it comes to the call up rules?

28. sliderule says:

The coaching thing needs to be addressed.

You have RKs comment about needing help and Schultz’s brothers tweets.

There is a lot of smoke coming out of that locker room.Someone better buy a fire extinguisher.

You have a pp that used the 1-3-1 last year and didn’t leak goals.Now it’s raining.

At even strength their coverage has got better but now we have all those offensive players kind of milling around firing blanks.

I doubt Boucher would take a job as assistant but this team need help.

29. wheatnoil says:

Hammers: What about the Taylor /Tyler argumentseems he had 5 points last night and is proving he is a top player . Mind you he needed to be traded to rise to the top .

However, if we’re talking points, Hall is producing at over a point per game this year. He has 59 points in 57 games. Seguin, after his 5 point night, is at 63 points in 61 games. I’d say they’re both excellent players. Based on point production, Hall is showing that for two years running he is an elite level point producer. I think it’s hard to make the argument that the Oilers chose poorly with Hall, but Seguin is also excellent.

30. rich says:

Maybe what we should suggest is that they call up Rocky Thompson (from OKC) to coach the defense next year and send Steve Smith down to OKC to learn how to coach d-men.

31. steveb12344 says:

Taylor is one of only 10 players this season scoring above a point per game. He is 7th overall in points per game and still slightly above Seguin in that regard.

I don’t think we need to Worry about #4.

32. FastOil says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Hammers,

The trade matters.I put Seguin in the same camp as Hall.They’ve both scored and yet neither is at the Tavares level of dominance.

Seguin has better teammates.That matters too.

For sure. Having a big skilled winger that drives the net changes the game for a line. The D has to pay direct attention to Benn creating room like Penner once did for the Oilers. Looks like by TOI last night Dallas was changing up the other winger.

This is part of the size argument. It does really create problems for the D if you can find a guy that uses his size AND can play. It seems the gords want a different thing for the Oilers.

33. wheatnoil says:

Pouzar: Are there any allowances for injuries when it comes to the call up rules?

“As for call-ups, teams are limited to four regular call-ups between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season, except in cases of emergency recall (the team has fewer than 2 goalies, 6 D-men, or 12 forwards healthy), or in cases when the players minor club is completely done with their season and playoffs.”

34. barry.moore23 says:

morning guys,

I watched the Buffalo – Tampa Bay game last nite while waiting for the Oilers to start. Pretty good game between 2 not so good (I guess) Eastern Conference teams. They were skating their asses off – almost like they really cared. Amazing. I’m going to see the Oil in St. Louis on Thursday nite. I can’t stand the Blues backwoods fans or their stupid steamboat foghorn goal sound . I’ll be wearing my old 44 Niinimaa jersey :) B

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Let’s just do an experiment for a second.

AND, we have both of Marincin and Nurse.

Just think about that.

36. regwald says:

37. Wolfpack says:

What is with this team and their slow starts? Especially at home? Watching the first two periods last night was just embarrassing. The coaches have to change their tactic of reading bedtime stories to the players before the start of the game. Or maybe they place Air Supply pre-game in the dressing room to get these guys pumped up. Whatever they do, it is not working.

The other thing that needs to change is the powerplay. How many shorties and short-handed odd-man rushes do we need to see before the coach decides that his powerplay strategy is not working? If the powerplay was scoring tons maybe you over-look the 11 short-handed goals given-up and the countless five star chances against. But when the short-handed opposition is almost out-scoring you, should there not be some major changes??

38. Jon K says:

regwald: If you want a bit of insight into Nelson vs Eakins, check out the twitter exchange that started with a discussion about Oilers practice tempo by @oildrop. @tweatneal and @artfulpuck joined in with their views.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dubnyk in net tonight apparently:

Jim Byers ‏@jim_the_lip 2h
    Good morning from Hamilton. The building awaits Dubnyk vs. The #okcbarons tonight at 6:30 central. pic.twitter.com/2PQWbsn7u9

Romulus’ Apotheosis ‏@RomulusNotNuma 2h
    @jim_the_lip Is Dubnyk going to start? @okcbarons

Jim Byers ‏@jim_the_lip 3m
    @RomulusNotNuma @okcbarons Devan Dubnyk is the scheduled starter tonight against the #okcbarons.

watch it here:

40. Pouzar says:

wheatnoil: From http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/7/26/4548948/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-7-waivers

41. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Let’s just do an experiment for a second.

AND, we have both of Marincin and Nurse.

Just think about that.

Excellent points

42. Melman says:

If they brought in an experienced assistant for Eakins and promoted Nelson to look after/run the D (he’s developed Marincin & Fedun well and by Willis’ accounts Klefbom is doing well), is that enough to improve our coaching?

It would seem silly for Nelson to pass up the opportunity to coach in the NHL, but perhaps as someone mentioned once you’ve been a HC it’s too hard to move to an assistant.

43. regwald says:

Jon K: I recall from various radio interviews that Nelson has somewhat implied that he was interested in the Oilers HC job and he was passed over for Eakins. With the results and resume he’s built, one would have to think that Nelson leaves after the contract to pursue NHL coaching positions. He and his staff’s ability to develop defenders is particularly impressive. Hope MacT didn’t make a mistake in passing him over, I like Nelson a lot.

yes. Nelson was quite vocal about getting passed over and not getting an interview at least. I was surprised to see him comment publicly that way at the time.

44. wheatnoil says:

Pouzar: So we don’t burn a call up for Petry then since we only had 6 D as of yesterday?

Also, apparently one reason why the Oilers didn’t call these guys up from the AHL BEFORE the deadline is because you can’t send a guy back down to the AHL after the deadline unless he’s already been recalled from the AHL after the deadline. So basically, if you’re on the NHL roster at the deadline, you’re not allowed to be demoted. The only people that can be sent down to the AHL are players that were among the 4 player call-ups / emergency recalls or if a player had spent less than 25% of the season in the NHL AND was injured at the time of the deadline. Thus, if the Oilers had recalled Lander or Klefbom or Arcobello before the deadline, they would be unable to send them down for the OKC playoff run until after the end of the regular season.

This information is also from the same link… http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/7/26/4548948/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-7-waivers

45. Pouzar says:

wheatnoil: I’m unsure of that. I suspect the emergency recall option may only come into effect after the 4 regular call-ups have been used. Someone with more CBA knowledge than I may be able to clarify.

Thx for the info…clears up a lot for me

46. maxwell_mischief says:

I only caught the third last night (apparently a good thing) but man was Marincin ever wheelin’ around last night. The D have generally been jumping in, getting more involved, and it is nice to see… Marincin has been the stand out though. Larsen scored a big goal too, but I would still like to see Fedun get some time.

47. Karsa Orlong says:

After the first 4 games and the poor career stats i really want to hate Fraser. However the past 3 games i thought he was really good. If he can keep playing like that i don’t mind him as a 6/7. Not sure if i am just more or less bracing for the inevitable, since MacT brought him in i bet they will keep him around.

48. book¡je says:

Woodguy:

The celebration of that goal confused the hell out of me. I was watching it wondering if Gagner had just broken the 50 goals in 39 game record or something (nope). It was really strange. Maybe the coach told them that they were going to have do 5 hours of skating drills if they lost?

49. book¡je says:

This team turns a lot of corners…

50. wheatnoil says:

book¡je:

*Comment copied from about a month into the season when the Oilers made a comeback vs the Flames.It has been used about 5 times since then.

This team turns a lot of corners…

Maybe that’s why they always end up at the same place?

51. Oilanderp says:

maxwell_mischief:

You picked a good time to start watching! Here’s what it looked like in the first two periods: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/08/article-0-00303A0B00000258-129_226x355.jpg

52. rickithebear says:

Captain Smarmy: Marincin and Scrivens are pretty good hockey mens.

if you look at the the toughest Comp faced Dmen. top 120.

there are 20 D men that face 1st comp with 4th teamates.
    and 8 more that face 1st with 3rds.

of those 28 only 10 are above the league average of 2.33 GA/60
    the median for the group is 2.44 ga/60

the top 20 and notables with there Ga rank in the top 120.
    1. Lovejoy 1st/4th 1.48EVGA/60 (#3)
    2. Suter 1st/3rd 1.57 (6)
    3. Dekeyser 1st/4th 1.60 (7)
    4. Bellemore 1st/4th 1.75 (10)
    5. Marincin 1st/4th 1.83 (16)
    6. Diaz 1st/4th 1.84 (18)
    7. Sulzer 1st/3rd 1.86 (21)
    8. Gryba 1st/3rd 1.96 (30)
    9. Hjarlmasson 1st/4th (33)
    10. Oduya 1st/4th 2.14 (45)
    11. Garrison 1st/4th 2.37 (63)
    12.Goligoski 1st/3rd 2.42 (67)
    13. Wisniewski 1st/4th 2.46 (70)
    14. Hamonic 1st/4th 2.52 (75)
    15. Tyutin 1st/4th 2.54 (76)
    16. Alzner 1st/3rd 2.55 (77)
    17. Gleason 1st/3rd 2.63 (86)
    18. Carlson 1st/4th 2.67 (90)
    19. Orpik 1st/3rd 2.75 (97)
    20. Weaver 1st/4th 2.77 (100)
    21. Weber 1st/3rd 2.77 (100)
    22. Grossman 1st/4th (2.78 (105)
    23 Ference 1st/4th 2.80 (106)

Marincin in the AHL?
    The 5th best GA for tough comp D with shit teamates.
    better than Hjarlmasson and Oduya.

Please Weber fans he was good at 2nd comp with 2nds.
    It was Suter!

The other tough comp UFA with good GA.
    Fayne

53. regwald says:

maxwell_mischief:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 10h

With a +26/-13 game at evens, Marincin is back above 50% for the year. Oilers were 67% with him on ice tonight, 32% without him.

Pretty good when you see that Petry only played 4:31 last night and so Marincin was still able to hold his own and then he stepped up offensively on a few shifts too.

54. Oilanderp says:

book¡je,

Eakins has realized that we are living in a 11-dimensional reality and thus you have to turn the corner several more times than one would think in order to truly head in the other direction. Finally someone who knows what they’re doing!

*breathes sigh of relief*

55. SaskFan says:

56. Pouzar says:

Wow that Jeff Chapman is all sunshine and lollipops.

57. Jordan says:

Well, I’m sold.

When do we award Marincin the Norris?

58. Bar_Qu says:

book¡je:

This team turns a lot of corners…

It’s why the team looks like it is going in circles

59. Wolfpack says:

wheatnoil: Maybe that’s why they always end up at the same place?

This is getting the classic, slow “Wisers clap” from me right now…

(It sounds like an STD, but it’s not…)

60. Hammers says:

wheatnoil: Hall’s difficulties with corsi/possession metrics has been well discussed and Tyler Dellow at mc79hockey has done some work indicating it may be secondary zone entry tactics, though there may be more at play than just that.

I never said the Oilers chose poorly but what I do think is Tyler has grown up and is playing at the level he should be know . I think being traded helped that . As for Taylor he seems moody / disinterested at times and I had hoped he would show his leadership skills in more ways than points .He is our best player / point getter but being a leader is more than that in my opinion .

61. teamblue says:

I think the reason was that if a player wasnt on the AHL roster at the deadline, they were ineligible to play in the AHL playoffs. That could be the main reason some guys weren’t called up before deadline. It gives them the chance to go play in AHL playoffs this way.

62. The Great One says:

Hammers: I never said the Oilers chose poorly but what I do think is Tyler has grown up and is playing at the level he should be know . I think being traded helped that . As for Taylor he seemsmoody / disinterested at times and I had hoped he would show his leadership skills in more ways than points .He is our best player / point getter but being a leader is more than that in my opinion .

Seguin’s defensive prowess shouldn’t be forgotten either.

And he’s now playing centre which has more responsibility.

CF%

Seguin – 53.9

Hall – 43.7

CF% Rel

Seguin – + 3.2

Hall – -0.9

63. nelson88 says:

SaskFan: One thing I noticed about marincin at the Olympics was that he had a lot more offensive flair then showed with the oilers, but since the Olympics he is dangling and jumping up in the play. Marincin 20 pounds heavier and another 200 games of experience could very well be a top pairing guy.

Agreed. His draft +1 year in P.G. compares pretty favourably to a guy like Nurse. No way Marincin gets sent back to the AHL but hopefully they find a way at the NHL level to continue to nurture his under appreciated offensive skills. Including hammering it from the point which is something the Oilers PP is lacking in general.

64. teamblue says:

Is it just me, or does it seem like Petry took some steroid pills? He’s been more aggressive physically last couple games. The big hit on Turris, going after Nelson when he took a whack at Scrivens ………..

65. Nostradumbass says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Let’s just do an experiment for a second.MacT caves. Trades the 7th OV and Marincin (that apparent Gillis asking price) for Schneider.Now, Schneider is all world. And you have to pay for that. As Justin Bourne said yesterday, to a certain extent, fuck value, get talent.But, without that trade, we found both Scrivens and Fasth. Both of whom look really good and are value players.AND, we have both of Marincin and Nurse.Just think about that.That non-trade might be more consequential long term for the franchise than the Clarkson boat anchor contract we would have had via free agency.It’s a good reminder that secondary pieces can be complete duds (Teubert) or real world talent. Be careful out there.

I still make that trade

You get Schneider and the most important position is filled, done, complete, no more worrying about it, cross it off the list

MacT made 5 moves this year (including getting rid of Smid) to fill the G hole and we still have as many questions as answers

66. Hammers says:

teamblue:

Maybe its having a “D” partner that you can totally rely on . For me Petry has got better since Marincin came up . The both of them look like NHL “D” .No matter how much Eakins lauds the work of Fraser last night its really him & Larsen that need replaced on our defense . That is McT’s job.

67. Pouzar says:

Nostradumbass: I still make that trade

Yer still “worrying” about goaltending?
    I am jumping for joy for ours.

I DO worry about the fickleness of the goaltending position in general to which
    neither Scrivens or Schneider are immune to.

68. fifthcartel says:

Stauffer talking about Gretzky’s comments about when the Oilers really took off when Messier moved from LW to C. Then compares that to Hall and says he only spend a couple games at centre and they should look at it again and since Hall’s a little more mature like Messier was when he made the move (4th or 5th season), it would be something worth evaluating.

I really don’t like that idea, and I hope he isn’t echoing what management thinks that Hall eventually will be a centre.

69. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

You know, in looking at the standings today, it struck me that it must be brutal to be a Nashville fan. That’s a bleak situation there. A good reminder that having a stud like Weber is meh when your team lacks real balance. There is a cavernous hole on the offensive side of their team and I personally don’t see enough help coming soon enough. I’m certainly not suggesting the “Weber for….” trade scenarios that others often profess, but they will have to do something bold to try and fix that situation. Perks me up a little as to where the Oilers are today.

70. Pouzar says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

There are pieces for a Weber trade here…hopefully NSH sees that in the offseason. :)

71. Big Dan says:

Don’t understand the hatred for Fraser. He had a rough start when paired with Belov.

But since the Olympics, I have barely noticed him. That’s a good thing for a #6/7 D.

What is it about Mark Fraser that everybody hates? He’s a depth guy and I’ll take him over Potter. He is better than Hartikainen, who was completely useless.

72. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I was glad he rejected the trade at the time (I heard it was a 1st, a 2nd and Marincin) and remain fine with it, BUT I think it needs to be remembered that early season goaltending did not just cost the team wins, it sent the whole year into a tailspin. Had Eakins been fired Dubnyk could have been said to have torched two careers in that quarter-mile. I can’t shake the possibility that everything would have been different with even competent goaltending out of the gate.

Who knows where we’d be? Maybe about the same. Maybe not. I think history could be used to argue either side of your thought experiment.

(Or you could argue the same but opposite- that the Oilers were so bad they sent Dubnyk into a tailspin from which he has yet to recover. Facts man, they are what you make them.)

73. Ducey says:

Some big games tonight:

Pathers vs Sabres
    NYI v CAL

Hopefully two OT games. We need to pick top 3.

74. Ribs says:

Big Dan:
    Don’t understand the hatred for Fraser.He had a rough start when paired with Belov.

But since the Olympics, I have barely noticed him.That’s a good thing for a #6/7 D.

What is it about Mark Fraser that everybody hates?He’s a depth guy and I’ll take him over Potter.He is better than Hartikainen, who was completely useless.

Very questionable passing abilities. He’s often left by the side of the road due to his slow first step. He is very physical and is a great guy to send into the corner to battle for the puck, though. He’s of some use, but Smid was a clear upgrade on him.

Hartikainen is a forward so I’m not sure that’s a fair comparison.

75. rich says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

Nashville played much of the season without their #1 goalie and still stayed closer to the playoffs than the Oilers. They’ve got a stud d-man on the roster, another stud developing in Jones, several quality d-men (Del Zotto and Josi) plus a couple of 15-20 goal scorers in the system (Forsberg and Watson) and should get a pretty decent pick again this year (top 10).

If they could stay close with the group they have, add kids plus Rinne for a full year next season, they’ll be ahead of us in the end.

They aren’t always exciting, but Trotz gets more out of his roster than anyone in the western conference and there’s nothing on the Oiler’s current roster worth trading for to give up Weber, and that includes Taylor Hall.

Clarkenstein:
    I’m glad they won LT. Just for you. For your sanity.

77. anonymous says:

I know this is supposed to be a highlight in a lost season but it doesn’t really feel like one. In previous lost seasons we at least had some highlights like Calder trophy races, Gagners 8 point game, drubbings of the hawks and nucks and some offence. Optimism. Now we have on paper a better team, same or worse results and a promise of coaching continuity. If this is the case and the Oilers stumble out of the gate next year, Mact should be shown the door with Eakins.

Clarkenstein:
    I’m glad they won LT. Just for you. For your sanity.

Actually, my sanity is good, although I admit to watching more Bruins games than normal this season. :-)

79. Clarkenstein says:

book¡je: “Thank goodness, it looked like the team came together last night and are starting to turn the corner”**Comment copied from about a month into the season when the Oilers made a comeback vs the Flames. It has been used about 5 times since then.This team turns a lot of corners…

Confuscious say “team that turns a lot of corners goes in circles”!

80. Clarkenstein says:

godot10: So MacT totally snubs him last spring (not even a courtesy phone call), and then to offer him a demotion to NHL assistant? You think that will go over well. For a person whose done the NHL assistant thingy (like Nelson has), and who wants to be an NHL head coach, an AHL head coaching job is the superior position. NHL assistant would be deadending his head coaching aspirations.

Normally I would agree with you but I feel there will be a head coach position available here very, very soon!

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Big Dan:

What are you talking about?

Fraser literally hasn’t played a single shift paired with Belov:

82. VanOil says:

Marincin should be paired with Petry in a second pairing in the NHL next year.

Fraser should be paired with Germat in a second pairing in the AHL next year. (Rom is right I expect him to be signed before Petry and Schultz)

As much as they want to see Fasth how do you not play Scrivens against LA?

Nelson is not coming up to be an assistant coach. I would happily replace Steve Smith with a mop but is Rocky Thompson (Barons D coach) more valuable to the org working with the prospects or the pros?

If Nurse and/or Ekblad skip the AHL (I hope not) I think you have to promote Rocky II (sic)

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Was it that much… wow.

FWIW, I think the 7th OV would have been defensible for Schneider. Like I said above, I don’t have a problem paying for real talent. And, Schneider is that. (side bar: NJD is seriously testing the limit of stupidity by playing Brodeur as much as they have all season)

The package was too rich. But, in general, my comment was less that would have been a bad trade and more: you never really know how things will turn out.

I agree BTW about Dubnyk. still no way to predict that clusterfuck of an opening. not just him LaBarbera, Bachman.. ooph.

84. rickithebear says:

rich: They’ve got a stud d-man on the roster,

Who is this stud dman?

Not MSM bull!
    Facts!

I know they had one in the past.
    Suter!

85. AZOIL says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Let’s just do an experiment for a second.

AND, we have both of Marincin and Nurse.

Just think about that.

Interesting point! I think everything happens for a reason and I’m glad we still have the pieces we have!

Wonder how much better we would be with Schneider in net though too!

86. VanOil says:

How I would construct the Oilers D next year

Kulikov-Schultz
    Marincin-Petry
    Kelfbom/Nikitin-Ferrence
    Belov

What I fear we will see

Jack Johnson-Andy Macdonald
    Marincin-Belov
    Fraser-Ferrence
    Larson

My fears are based on watching the Oilers construct Defenses for the last 8 years. They are epically bad at it. I hope Eakins was only pumping Frasers tyres last night, not offering him future NHL employment.

87. rich says:

rickithebear,

Rickithebear,

Fair point. Better way of saying it was that Weber is better than anything we currently have on our roster today. May be so for the next few years as well. He’s also not going anywhere, not at least until Seth Jones can carry all the water – by which point Weber may not be worth it anymore.

FWIW, my opinion was always that Suter was the better of the 2 and people here in Nashville always thought I was crazy until a couple of years ago. His next to last year in Nashville, he missed 12 games due to injury. Weber’s numbers in those games were very human. As soon as Suter came back, they went up significantly (not just plus/minus but also his Corsi). There was a lot of debate on who was the one who would be missed the most and I still think they haven’t gotten over Suter – another reason why Weber is not going anywhere unless you break the bank.

88. VanOil says:

Zack Kassian has been suspended for three games

Sadly this probably help the DYs more than it hurts them

89. sliderule says:

rich,

The oilers played most of the season with goalies who had the worst save percentage in nhl so you have to say the oil had less going for them in the net than preds.

90. FastOil says:

VanOil:
    Zack Kassian has been suspended for three games

Sadly this probably help the DYs more than it hurts them

True but at least his rap sheet is getting longer. No need for his type.

91. rich says:

sliderule,

When the season started, NAS had the advantage in goal on paper – however, Rinne was coming back from hip surgery and no one knew if he’d even be ready to go. Turns out he had complications after playing 9 games. That left them with Hutton (a minor league goalie with a .908 and .917 save percentage in the AHL the last 2 seasons) and Mazanec, a 22 year old who’d not played in N.A. before this season while DD/LaBarbera were crapping the bed.

You could argue that after 9 games though, no one could have forseen our goaltending was going to be THAT bad. But again, I’ll give NAS coaching staff credit. They hung in with a pitty-pat offense and backup goalies a lot longer than our boys did.

92. Hammers says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Here is another . New equipment and a shallower net plus trying the “SWARM” may have caused mistakes on “D” and in goal . I agree sometimes you can make things look good or bad depending on the interpretation . Sometimes the same goes for mathematical data likes shots for & against ; plus minus ; Corsi etc etc . . For me that’s what bugs me with reporters they twist things to suit what there writing about .

93. Jordan says:

FastOil: True but at least his rap sheet is getting longer. No need for his type.

Todd Burtuzzi had a long and successful NHL career, in spite of his thuggery during the most successful period of it.

People are people – some learn and change and grow, and others don’t. My only hope with a player who walks down this road is that as few people are seriously injured as possible.

Including him. Vengence makes victims of everyone involved.

94. RexLibris says:

Here’s a thought.

We keep talking about bringing up this forward or that defenseman because whatever Nelson is doing in OKC is working.

Why not bring up Nelson as an assistant coach next season for the defensemen?

He seems to be able to teach kids how to play the game, and the blueline development by prospects like Musil, Gernat, Marincin, Fedun and a few others seems to have taken hold.

A replacement for the Barons could be found in Derek Laxdal if the Oilers want to reward loyalty and performance internally, or they could find an NHL coach looking for an AHL opportunity.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:
    Here’s a thought.

Why not bring up Nelson as an assistant coach next season for the defensemen?

I think we’ve discussed this one before. Nelson will be in the running for NHL jobs probably when the next round of hiring happens.

96. Numenius says:

RexLibris:
    Here’s a thought.

Why not bring up Nelson as an assistant coach next season for the defensemen?

I’d get rid of Acton and sign Nelson as the associate coach. I don’t think Nelson would take less.

That would fix the huge mistake of hiring Acton too.

The players need at least one coach they can connect with, someone who can inspire them after Eakins yells at them.

97. Hockey Buddha says:

That beauty Diana Rigg from “the Avengers” now plays Olenna Tyrell on Game of Thrones!