KINGS AT OILERS G65, 13-14

This is a very important time for Anton Lander as an Edmonton Oiler. The organization has to procure 6′s and 7′s and 9′s from their minor leagues and Lander has a very nice resume. If he can fill a 3 or 4 line role next season, the club has one less issue to address and can spend money elsewhere.

LANDER5

We’ve always liked Anton Lander as a fanbase. Some comments on his draft day:

• H-Bomb: That scouting report, right down to the player’s origin, screams “Detroit pick”.
  • RiversQ: Sounds great. Seriously. The good thing about taking the Swedes too, is that the Oilers are protected from themselves for at least one year and the SEL is way better than junior hockey.
  • Jon K: Lander’s scouting report reads a lot like Zetterberg’s as a prospect. Seems like that’s where the Oilers are hoping he’ll head developmentally. It’s a pick I’m willing to trust that the scouting staff is making the right choice.
  • Steven R: Anton Lander is a interesting pick because he was Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson’s linemate last season for Timra. These two had a lot of chemistry and speed last season for Timra.

I posted an article at ON about Lander last night. Oiler fans have been following him for five years now and this summer we’ll put that 2009 draft to bed. The last 17 NHL games could have a bearing on things—if Lander can play well enough to project himself onto next season’s roster, that’s a very useful player.

ANTON LANDER PLAYER CARD

lander player cardLander’s entry-level career is completely bass-ackwards because Oilers. The 56 games should be this year, not his first season. Going back to H-Bomb’s quote above, the pick might look like Detroit but the handling was straight out of the California Seals playbook. Lander’s bio (good check, no score) tells us part of the story, and of course his major league at-bats tell the punch-and-Judy story.

Anton Lander has posted two good offensive seasons—his last one in Timra and this year in Oklahoma City. If the Oilers really want to see what he can do, I’d suggest putting him with Luke Gazdic and Ryan Jones is a poor idea. With Ales Hemsky gone, the Oilers have a couple options:

• Gagner-Hall-Yakupov
  • Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  • Gordon-Lander-Hendricks
  • Smyth-Gazdic-Joensuu/Jones

Or, they could put Lander on a 4line but with some hope of possession survival:

• Gagner-Hall-Yakupov
  • Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  • Gordon-Hendricks-Joensuu
  • Lander-Smyth-Jones

I don’t think they do it—this is a Gazdic game—but if Lander/Gazdic is a line one hopes Ryan Smyth joins them.

Klefbom_Smiling_Draftday_thumb

Tonight could be the NHL debut of Oscar Klefbom. In the history of the Edmonton Oilers, there have been very few first round picks devoted to defensemen. Here’s the complete list with their total NHL games-played:

1. Paul Coffey 1409 (1980)
  2. Kevin Lowe 1254 (1979)
  3. Jeff Beukeboom 804 (1983)
  4. Francois Leroux 249 (1988)
  5. Jim Playfair 21 (1982)
  6. Selmar Odelein 18 (1984)
  7. Alex Plante 10 (2007)
  8. Matthieu Descoteaux 5 (1996)
  9. Nick Stadjuhar 2 (1993)
  10. Jason Soules 0 (1989)
  11. Oscar Klefbom 0 (2011)
  12. Darnell Nurse 0 (2013)

I expect Klefbom and Nurse will push their way into the top five on this list eventually, and maybe higher. Klefbom’s injuries are an absolute concern, but if he does make his NHL debut today it’ll be a fun moment for the young man. I’d give my left nut to have played even one shift in the NHL, and this kid gets to do it tonight. Good on him. He will be the fourth Oscar to have played in the NHL, and he could easily end up being the best one.

We liked Klefbom on his draft day.

• Smarmy Boss: He’s a big bruising puck mover from what I’ve heard. I think we’ll like him.
  • Rick: Not the upside of a Larsson, but this kid could be a heck of a player 3 years down the line. Nice mix of speed and physical play. Maybe he can pick up more of an offensive game in Sweden next season.
  • spOILer: Absolutely love this pick. Serious chance of being a better dman than Siemens, Bealieu and Oleksiak. Only issue is hockey sense, but has ALL the tools.
  • PunjabiOil: I don’t like taking defenceman, but by the sounds of it, this guy does have top pairing potential.

If they play him tonight, I hope he gets paired with Petry or Ference. I don’t think he’ll play.

TALK ABOUT THE DAMN GAME!

Sure. On December 27th the Oilers were 39GP, 12-24-3. In the 25 games since, Edmonton is 10-10-5. In their last 10: 6-2-2. This is a Corsi David v Goliath but they play the games for a reason.

oil last 10It seems the #1 overalls cannot flourish at the same time. Yak is finally out of the ditch and now Nuge can’t find the ocean. Hall remains quality, Perron is golden and Gagner is posting a lot of points for a guy who could be bought out (I still think that’s an option). Goodbye Hemmer, knock ‘em dead.

g last 10Goalies. Lordy.

221 Responses to "KINGS AT OILERS G65, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Hammers says:

Oilers tweeted out Lander sent back, with Klefbom stays.

2. jp says:

Hammers: I just don’t get it . Bring guys up & don’t play them while OKL looses then send Lander back .INSANE or Eakins doesn’t want to use him . Wants Acton back & Hamilton then they can have a Marlies group hug with Fraser . What a joke this team is .

1) They were called up because there were legitimate injuries that may have required them to play
    2) OKC won in the end today
    3) Lander was sent back primarily because it prevents using one of the 3 remaining call-ups
    4) He will be back and I doubt Eakins hates him

3. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: He’s not a prospect, or a work in progress. this is a fully formed terrible defenseman.

Fraser seems to be a pretty good PKer too. Below are the shots against per 60 minutes of 4X5 penalty killing time with him on the ice. Also his ranking among all NHL defensemen with at least 1 min of PK time per game and 20 games played.

10-11 27.8 SA/60 (#1 of 179)
    12-13 33.1 SA/60 (#20 of 156)
    13-14 41.2 SA/60 (#53 of 159)

Hell, that would be an improvement on the Oilers 5X5 numbers most nights. That’s another useful skill he could bring though.

For the record, I’m not trying to be a big Fraser proponent here, I just think that the negative reaction to his acquisition isn’t completely supported by his previous results. Or maybe I’m just trying to prepare myself for when the Oilers re-sign him…

4. TheOtherJohn says:

I assume no one is talking possession numbers coming out of tonight’s game. Right? And no one is blaming our loss on poor goaltending

Holy shit does this team have a LONG way to go to compete with real NHL teams. And LAK are not at the top of the pyramid

When we traded Penner to LAK in 2010/11 Manchester Monarchs had on their roster Dwight King 24g 52pts, Jordan Nolan, Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez, Hickey and, yup you guessed it, the D man we traded for : Teubert.

Oiler pro scouts took LAK’s 5th best defensive prospect in AHL (ignoring who they had in junior) and the guy is now an Iserlohn Rooster. The other 4 D men: are all regulars in the NHL Stu actually said at the time: “we liked him in his draft year” FFS I liked my lottery ticket numbers before the draw. Most people would update their picks after the draft. Not the Oilers
    And in 29th……. we continue to sit

Pro and amateur scouts involved in Teubert selectin still work for Oilers

5. PaperDesigner says:

PunjabiOil:
    My friends suggest I’m bonkers for hoping the Oilers lose games to finish the season in efforts to secure a top 2/3 pick.The arguments go back and forth (and I’m heavily outnumbered).

My reasons:

1.Season is a sunk cost.Meaningless wins this year will have little impact on the standings in upcoming years.

2.Winning games when heavily outshot or outchanced isn’t progress.

3.Half the players on the current team might not be around next year

4.A quick turnaround is possible.See Colorado.And like prospect development, rebuilds are also not linear. See Islanders, New York.

The opposing arguments are centered around:

1.Team needs to create an identity that losing is not acceptable

2. “We already have enough draft picks.What has it got us”

3.Winning games now will help us next year via experience

_______________

what do you think, Lowetiders?

I’m with you. The only one of the three counter-points I find is valid, slightly, is that the experience of winning may help next year. But the problem is that if this roster is REMOTELY similiar to last year, then it has to have a lot of turnover. How do you create an identity that leads to winning with a roster that needs half of its players gone to make the playoffs? What, do you create a winning identity with the current players, then create another winning identity with the twelve new players they’ll have next year?

As to the second point, about where have the draft picks gotten us, I would ask one to consider where this team would be with no Nugent-Hopkins, Hall or Yakupov. Your number one centre would be Sam Gagner. And your leading scorer would be David Perron. That roster goes from regular terrible to monumentally terrible. As in, lower than Buffalo by a wide margin.

No, the wins at this point won’t carry over, especially since a lot of the bodies are about to get cleared out. I think they should bench Scrivens for the rest of the season, serve him Martinis there, and start Fasth the rest of the way through. And if Fasth does too well, call up Bunz for the rest of the season. He can have the thrill of the life-time, and lead them to the basement with .850 netminding.

6. PaperDesigner says:

TheOtherJohn:

When we traded Penner to LAK in 2010/11 Manchester Monarchs had on their roster Dwight King 24g 52pts, Jordan Nolan, Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez, Hickey and, yup you guessed it,the D man we traded for : Teubert.

And in 29th……. we continue to sit

Pro and amateur scouts involved in Teubert selectin still work for Oilers

If you ask an amateur scout about a player, he’s likely to give you his opinion about the player when he saw the player; as an amateur. I hardly think it’s condemning of MacGregor that he said that–all he said was what he was paid to know.

The problem is if you, as a GM, care particularly what an amateur scout has to say about a player several years after being drafted. It’s also a problem if you take a bad player from an organization because your scouts like him.

Seriously, who was the last pro acquisition the Oilers made that set the house on fire by surpassing expectations? Because it sure wasn’t Teubert, Joensuu or the terrible finn from last year.

7. tsunami says:

And Arcobello continues to put up points… Now at 9-15-24 in 12 games… What does this guy has to do to get recalled ??? This is getting ridiculous and really bad asset management imo…

8. Pouzar says:

Sweet Mary and Joseph does MacT have his work cut for him.
    We need a lot of turnover on this team. Godspeed MacT

9. book¡je says:

Anyone else starting to lose faith that the team is going to catch onto the coach’s system play? Unless Bucky and Smith are Darksiders, I don’t see that changing assistants is going to solve the problem.

10. jp says:

Pouzar:
    Sweet Mary and Joseph does MacT have his work cut for him.
    We need a lot of turnover on this team. Godspeed MacT

11. Gerta Rauss says:

book¡je:
    Anyone else starting to lose faith that the team is going to catch onto the coach’s system play?Unless Bucky and Smith are Darksiders, I don’t see that changing assistants is going to solve the problem.

It depends on the score of the previous nights game..:)
    Some nights they look engaged, other nights…not so much.

I think MacT, Eakins, Lowe, and now Katz, are joined at the hip with this thing. They have publicly stated they are fine with the state of things. The next logical move is for Katz to fire everyone…and I don’t see that happening until (at least) the 20 game mark next season, and that’s assuming a really poor start.

We are stuck with this group for now..the players damn well better buy in.

12. Pouzar says:

jp: We’re good with turnovers. I think it’s something else we need more of. Not sure what though.

13. Clay says:

book¡je:

Starting?

Any system that isn’t bought into after 65 games and two training camps (Olympic break), is never going to be bought into. Either it’s too difficult/complicated, or ineffective, or the players are stubborn. In the end though, does it matter why? At this point you either fire the entire team, or find a coach who can coach them. That Mexican standoff usually only goes in one direction…

14. Pouzar says:

Klefbom sticking around is interesting. We are hitting the road so we’ll see if he goes with the team.

15. jp says:

Pouzar: Maturity in the top 6 is one thing. Better D is another. What jumps out at me is a lack of sustained pressure in the o-zone especially against the bigger teams in our division. We need to score the ugly goals that the good teams always seem to get by constantly sustaining pressure and crashing the net. I have said it before but I have never seen a team with such an inability to get Point shots through. It’s uncanny. It’s like we have no chance at the dirty rebound goal cause we generate zilch from the D.

Yeah, it is uncanny. Funny thing is that Schultz appeared to have a knack for that last season, but it seems to have evaporated from his game. Weird.

So many problems. Though things could turn around pretty quickly. There’s at least a few examples of that. My hope for the future hasn’t been completely extinguished yet.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp,

You’ve added some helpful context on Fraser here, but this is territory we’ve gone over before IIRC. I’ve certainly looked into it.

When a player looks horrible and performs horrible by the numbers several years in a row, but has a few bright spots in the past or in some element of his game the explanation usually falls along these lines: sample size; usage/assignments; injury; linemate effects

basically all these things happen to apply to Fraser. His best year happened to be a pretty small sample (26 games in 10-11) with the D-stacked NJD. his most common D partners were Henik Tallinder and Andy Greene

and since he’s left NJD, he’s been a possession black hole and suffered a major injury.

I don’t think there is a project here, his brief and indeed impressive past with the NJD noted.

I’d prefer most of the AHL D we have to him.

17. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: since he’s left NJD, he’s been a possession black hole and suffered a major injury.
    I’d prefer most of the AHL D we have to him.

My general observation is that defenders mature at 200 games and 25 years old. Fraser is 170 and 26. He’s awfully close to becoming the defender he’s going to be. Recent improvement is encouraging, but we’re still talking about a guy whose ceiling at this point is 6/7. If his mean streak is enough to keep him there in a complementary depth role, fair enough, but not if he displaces someone who can, you know, defend and move the puck … if so, that’s not so good.

18. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    jp,

Well this is kind of my point. We seem to be looking at the same numbers (there’s not that many out there) but coming to different conclusions. I agree he LOOKS terrible, but I read his numbers and see a guy who has kept his head above water against weak competition in his 3 NHL seasons prior to this one (not someone who has been horrible for several years in a row with a few bright spots).

He’s posted some ugly corsi numbers in 2 or 4 game sample sizes, but he’s basically at 0 CorsiRel for his career. I also don’t see how you can call him a possession black hole in Toronto for playing on a bad team. His CorsiRel and CorsiOn from last season are both slightly better than Petry’s. Players on bad teams look bad.

Yes, he’s played a lot with Tallinder, Greene and Franson. But look at the WOWY (I guess you have already – http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1217&withagainst=true&season=2012-13&sit=5v5). In every case the pair performs better than Fraser alone or teammate alone. He likely did get a slight push from playing with these guys, but they certainly weren’t dragged down by playing with him.

Anyway, you may well be right there isn’t a player there. Watching him play it’s hard to believe there could be. But based on the numbers I see a player who’s consistently been an effective bottom pairing defenseman prior to this season. Why he couldn’t get back there I don’t know.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: But based on the numbers I see a player who’s consistently been an effective bottom pairing defenseman prior to this season.

I don’t see this in the numbers at all. He’s had two effective seasons in NJ (one more effective than the other, the lesser being the much larger sample size… that’s not encouraging)

But, since 10-11 he either hasn’t played in the NHL, been injured, or been wildly overmatched. That’s a long stretch of not providing cover to a team.

I don’t think looking back to his NJD career of 09-11 (through both seasons you get about a full season’s worth of games) is more predicative than the years since.

20. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67&ds=1&f3=MARKFRASER&f1=2013_s+2012_s+2012_p+2011_s+2010_s+2009_s+2009_p

Well we’re getting at the discrepancy now at least. I’m taking his slightly positive CorsiRel from last season as “effective”. While the actual number was ugly it was no more so than his average teammate. If he’s getting no credit for being average on a bad team then yes, he’s shown nothing since he left NJ.

I’m also cutting him some slack for potential after effects of his injury in last years playoffs (in contributing to this years undeniably poor results). You’re dinging him for missing the 11-12 season to injury. There’s some validity to both sides of that argument I suppose.

book¡je:

Eakins’s systems don’t work. He’s turned Hall into from a possession player, into a non-possession player, from CHANCE to NONCHANCE. He’s bought into the system.

MacT and Eakins have even said so.

« Older Comments