LANDER AGAIN!

The Edmonton Oilers called up Anton Lander again today, as Sam Gagner’s ‘Matt Cooke moment’ appears to have sustain. Gagner was posting offense during the post-Olympic period, so it’s a shame he might be out as the points increased trade value for summer. More and more, I wonder if 89 is a mid-season 2014-15 trade in terms of timeline.

Interesting times. Lander is killing it in OKC, 43GP, 18-30-48 this season and 25GP, 9-24-33 since the new year.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

137 Responses to "LANDER AGAIN!"

1. jp says:

Very cool opportunity for Lander. I’m not sure if he’s up for scoring line duty, but he certainly deserves a chance in the top 9. Also possible that Gordon slides up and Lander takes his spot. Either way he should hopefully get some time with NHL players. As long as Eakins doesn’t try Smyth/Hendricks at 3C…

2. stevezie says:

I guess I can see why they’d rather get a look at Lander than Arcobello, but if I was Arc I would not be thrilled by the reduced paycheque.

I know we all know, but 29 points in 29 games got Omark 13 games in Buffalo. Arcobello has 26 in 13, and could win face-offs and kill penalties.

That said, Lander has earned this call-up with gaudy numbers of his own and I look forward to seeing what he does with it.

3. Southern Oil says:

Great to see that he went down and got his mojo back. Who would have thought spending time in the AHL might be a good thing. All you can hope for is that he gets his chance and it looks like he will. The rest is up to him.

4. fifthcartel says:

If they play him between the top 6 wingers I’ll be very interested to see how (or if) he produces.

5. CervantesX says:

I have to believe the Oilers have had a good talk with Arco and told him that they value the farm team making the playoffs with him leading it, more than they value a dozen meaningless NHL games. There’s no way he’s not part of the plans going forward, even if he’s making a top 9 expendable for a D man trade. His stats and production are simply too good. It has to be a case of “We need OKC in the playoffs, and we also need to know if Anton can cut it up here, you already can, so that’s why you’re staying”.

That has to be it, right? Because if the Oilers are letting this guy walk for nothing this summer, I will be supremely disappointed.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I gather if Gagner and the Oil have some kind of “let’s move on” agreement, getting that NMC waived should be pretty easy. I do wonder about his value mid-season next year though… and Gagner could use the NMC to control where he lands.

“This might be a major break for Lander, as a skill center going down with injury (with Arcobello in OKC) may mean he’ll line up with two of Hall, Eberle, Perron and Yakupov tomorrow night in St. Louis.”

Eakins hasn’t been shy about putting Gordon in the 2 spot IIRC. hope he gives it to Lander for 5 games though.

7. jp says:

CervantesX:

Or they’ve already made the decision he’s not part of the plans. That would be a little hard to believe though given that MacT fought for him some last summer, then he came in and played better than probably anyone imagined he would.

I can only assume the Oilers would like to keep him around if they can, if only as a depth option. But being UFA most of that decision is out of their hands at this point. I’d have to think there’s an awfully good chance he walks no matter what the Oilers want.

8. prairieschooner says:

Is Arcobello eligible to play for the Barons if they make the play offs?
    Something happened around the Olympic break I thought?

9. stevezie says:

CervantesX: I have to believe the Oilers have had a good talk with Arco and told him that they value the farm team making the playoffs with him leading it,

I understand why management might feel this way, but I can’t figure why Arco would be cool with the decision that will cost him money. I don’t know what his AHL salary is so I can’t guess how much, but it is potentially significant.

With his AHL numbers he will have multiple suitors next year. I don’t know if it’ll be enough to get him a one-way contract, but if Jonesuu can get two years I would think someone would give Arco one. If I were in his position I would only care about who guarenteed my a roster spot, but I could understand a grudge.

Does gratitude for the team that brought you to the bigs outweigh disappointment with the team that kept you on the farm?

10. steveb12344 says:

If you choose to make this blog’s stubborn insistence on bringing proof the hill you die on, then maybe we’re not for you.

-Lowetide

I don’t think it’s so much the bringing of proof that some people have a problem with. I think it’s more a question of what that proof is actually proving.

Taylor Hall’s interview with Rishaug was a good example.

It seems the advanced stat crowd interpreted it as Hall saying he doesn’t understand Corsi and nobody on the Oilers staff is smart enough to explain it to him.

It was pretty clear to me that Hall sees his boxcars are in the range, and his scoring chances are about the same, so he doesn’t get why his Corsi stats show that he’s personally struggling.

When he went to the Oiler’s Stats guys to ask them what it means, or how he can use it to improve his game, they had no answer for him. I’m pretty sure he’s smart enough to understand what shot attempts are.

I enjoy that this blog demands proof, and holds people accountable for their words. What I don’t enjoy is when an opinion is offered that doesn’t jive with what the cool kids are saying, the regulars jump all over them, and say they are just ignorant, or don’t understand.

Many here have argued that stats like Corsi, and Fenwick are team stats, and have much less value when applied personally.

Seriously, If somehow Hall got traded to Chicago tomorrow, and was lined up with Kane, and Toews, and Played the exact same game he’s been playing. Do you think his Corsi would remain the same? I’m guessing it would skyrocket. Why? Because it takes a team to create corsi. Not one player.

I love the use of stats (advanced or other) but if our friend DSF has taught us anything. It’s that a smart person can abuse the stats to prove pretty much any point he wants. It’s this abuse that I think some people have a problem with.

Anyhow, there it is guys… Bitch-slap away

11. The Great One says:

The most likely scenario here:

1) Lander can’t piss a drop in the NHL.

2) Arcobello walks.

3) Gagner NTC kicks in and he develops even more negative value than he does now.

4) 3 centres turn to dust.

Because Oilers.

The Great One:
    The most likely scenario here:

1) Lander can’t piss a drop in the NHL.

2) Arcobello walks.

4) 3 centres turn to dust.

Because Oilers.

Sounds a lot like what happened to the Canucks this year.

13. Maverick says:

I hope Lander can play and make an impression. His feet are a bit slow, maybe he can gain a step or two going into next season, but mostly I’m hopeful he can learn a thing or two from Gordon about being a good 3rd line Center.
    So if he plays tomorrow and Fasth and Klefbom are playing, that’s 3 Swedes! Don’t think that has happened before with the Oilers? Please correct me if that is false, but I think it would be the first time.

As for the Draft. If the players they are targeting are gone, Ekblad, Draisaitl or Bennett, I can see the Oilers moving back a few spots to draft Nurse’s road roommate, Jared McCann.

14. The Great One says:

Lowetide: Sounds a lot like what happened to the Canucks this year.

No, that’s a whole other train wreck.

Lots of chatter that Tortorella is done and there is a huge amount of evidence that he was the wrong coaching hire.

Also lots of chatter that Tortorella was an owner hire and Gillis wanted John Stevens (my choice as well).

The interesting candidate that is being pumped right now is Ray Ferraro.

Interesting.

15. The Great One says:

James Duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie 2m

If the Jets and Canucks don’t make it, it will be the first time since 1978 no Western Cdn team has made the playoffs. #tumbleweeds

California Dreaming.

16. The Great One says:

Have you Lowetidians picked up your Neil Young branded music player yet?

Neil Young’s PonoMusic hits $2M on Kickstarter in one day http://cnet.co/1gr8TYk pic.twitter.com/cs9nbzL38m

17. justDOit says:

The Great One,

I think that thing will become known as ‘The Homer’ of digital music players. Hell, these days it’s tough to find a regular mp3 player that isn’t Apple, because everyone has a phone that plays music. And unless you’re carrying around $400 studio headphones, the difference in quality will be negligible. Maybe I’m missing something with this glorified iPod…

18. The Great One says:

justDOit,

Can’t say I disagree.

19. justDOit says:

The Great One,

Just doing a quick fact check on it – apparently the audio format is 24bit/192kHz! I have to admire the man’s vision for high res audio, but downloading files that large is only going to appeal to few people, and you can’t exactly ‘rip’ your CDs to that bit depth/rate.

20. G Money says:

justDOit:

If sound quality matters – as a former audiophile, it mattered a lot to me and I had a house full of high-end audio gear until kids – the best portable solution I’ve found is an iPod Classic loaded with music sourced from CDs ripped in the original WAV (16 bit/44KHz) format (or in my case, I also have digital conversion and cleanup software that lets me convert my LPs too).

Pair that with a decent set of headphones (I like Grado SR80s as a balance between portability and quality) and you’re off to the races.

It’s not going to touch 24/192, but frankly, as you say, you’re not going to rip your CDs at that rate.

And it wouldn’t matter if you did since the original data is at 16/44, though the higher sampling rate and frequency will deliver higher bandwidth = lower noise floor and probably some mildly increased musicality at the high end because the analog filters in the DAC won’t be working as hard (the basic reason why oversampling CD players were all the rage for a while).

But most folks over the age of 12 won’t be able to hear most of that difference anyway.

So you’re stuck paying for the premium source even if you already have the original, and how many albums are actually going to be available in that format anyway, given the whole world is dumbing its ears down to 128 kbps MP3?

In any case … I assume Mr. Young is manufacturing and distributing these doodahs without the use of hydrocarbons.

Because otherwise that would make him, you know, one of them hippo critters, and all these folks who fly around in private jets espousing the evils of CO2 just can’t be that, can they?

21. book¡je says:

I’m too lazy to look, but I am curious what sound quality differences can actually be picked up by the human ear. A double blind audiophile test would be helpful to know this.

22. theres oil in virginia says:

steveb12344: Not everyone believes that Corsi for is a true indicator of the value of a player.

I’ve made a statement like that multiple times here, and I don’t recall being jumped all over or called ignorant. I think what usually happens is that someone makes that statement with a shitty tone and then gets jumped all over. Big surprise. Occasionally, people here disagree with one another. (I’d say it happens about once every 5 comments.) Part of what I like about reading here is that there are many different angles that people bring. If everyone here simply parroted the same line, I’d migrate elsewhere, or just read the articles. I like the community here.

So, say what you want to say, but if you don’t want to get jumped all over, then don’t start out with a pissy attitude and target something that people here hold in high regard, even if you disagree. (PS – whatever you do, don’t mention J… J… to Woodguy. PPS – And apparently, don’t make eye-contact with Jasmine either. PPPS – Hey TGO, he thinks you’re smart and friendly.)

23. Bag of Pucks says:

steveb12344

I enjoy that this blog demands proof, and holds people accountable for their words.What I don’t enjoy is when an opinion is offered that doesn’t jive with what the cool kids are saying, the regulars jump all over them, and say they are just ignorant, or don’t understand.

Cool Kid Primer

Cool players

Tom Gilbert
    Ales Hemsky
    Jeff Petry

Uncool players

Nikolai Khabibulin
    Any Toronto Marlie (with the exception of Scrivens)
    Gazdic, Jones, Hendricks, Joensu (pretty much any 4th liner that isn’t Smytty)

Cool stats

Corsi
    Fenwick
    Vollman Sledgehammer

Uncool stats

Hits
    Giveaways
    Ws/Ls

Cool phrases

Get good players. Keep good players
    Possession game

ScarJo
    Amy Adams
    Natalie Wood

Uncool chicks

J-Lo
    Amy Grant
    Natalie (from The Facts of Life)

24. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money,

It’s okay, he can just buy carbon credits from Al Gore and the environment is cool with that.

So G, analog or CD-digital? Which sounds better? (I know digital is superior for other reasons, but does analog sound more full? I think it might, if you have a fresh record and a high quality needle. I think DVD-digital has higher fidelity, ie – smaller frequency-stepsize within given bandwidth – the 24-bit part – which is getting closer to analog. If you can hear the difference, then I think it’s not my imagination about analog vs digital.)

25. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: I’ve made a statement like that multiple times here, and I don’t recall being jumped all over or called ignorant.I think what usually happens is that someone makes that statement with a shitty tone and then gets jumped all over.Big surprise.Occasionally, people here disagree with one another.(I’d say it happens about once every 5 comments.)Part of what I like about reading here is that there are many different angles that people bring.If everyone here simply parroted the same line, I’d migrate elsewhere, or just read the articles.I like the community here.

So, say what you want to say, but if you don’t want to get jumped all over, then don’t start out with a pissy attitude and target something that people here hold in high regard, even if you disagree.(PS – whatever you do, don’t mention J… J… to Woodguy.PPS – And apparently, don’t make eye-contact with Jasmine either.PPPS – Hey TGO, he thinks you’re smart and friendly.)

Yup…I’ve gotten taken behind the virtual woodshed RE: Save % a few times. :)

I love Kim Mitchell AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!!

27. G Money says:

book¡je:
    I’m too lazy to look, but I am curious what sound quality differences can actually be picked up by the human ear.A double blind audiophile test would be helpful to know this.

Can you qualify your curiousity? I have participated in blind listening sessions over the years (double blind is very hard to do with true high end gear since the A/B switch used in that scenario has to itself be high end).

For example, even now (when my ears are no longer particularly refined), I can clearly hear the difference between MP3 and original CD, even up to 320KHz.

I can also clearly hear the difference between LP and CD.

Though I don’t (and never have) followed the audiophile party line that LPs always sound better than CDs, even on high end gear (for those who care about such things, my LP chain is: Sumiko Blue Oyster cartridge, Clearaudio turntable, Krell pre-amp, Classe Audio power amp, Sonus Faber speakers, all with MIT cables).

I laugh at modern hipsters who declare that LPs just sound better. That’s only true on the highest of high end equipment, and I’ve challenged a handful of those doubters to do a blind preference test using identical source material carefully level matched (they chose CD every time BTW).

There is a vast difference in the sound character of speakers, cartridges, and transistor vs tube amplifiers.

There is a sound difference in good amplifiers, which can be heard especially clearly on challenging material (the most extreme example of which is to play high volume material through a low impedance speaker attached to a cheap amp and watch it fry itself.

On the other hand, for most of the electrically robust items of equipment (cables, two different high quality power amps or pre-amps) I think much if not all of the sound difference is in the head of the listener and not in actuality. You can read some of these guys waxing poetic about the “vast” differences between say cable A and cable B, but not be able to remotely come close to identifying the two in a blind test (which is why many audiophiles shy away from blind tests).

28. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia,

I am Smart and Friendly. :)

29. OilClog says:

I understand playing Lander in a top 6 role to see what he can do, it’s just that the most important match-up he needs to match(RNH)..he doesn’t.

With RNH taking 1 of 2 top spots down the middle.. We need someone that makes RNH #2. Lander, Gagner, none of these guys are that.

Get that German!

30. The Great One says:

Bag of Pucks,

JENNIFER GARNER!!!!!!!

31. The Great One says:

I love Kim Mitchell AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!!

Heathen.

32. Bag of Pucks says:

The Great One:
    Bag of Pucks,

JENNIFER GARNER!!!!!!!

There’s a scene where she walks out of the restaurant in Daredevil….her pooper is epic!

33. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia,

I answered your question in my ultra verbose post! My even-more extended answer is:

- Yes, analog sounds better than CD digital, but ONLY on high-end gear that can actually extract and do justice to the waveform there. Over any “mortal” system, CD will generally blow LP away. By high-end I mean Rega as a bare minimum, but more like Linn or Clearaudio and up. (Cartridges same deal).

- It certainly doesn’t sound better over the shit systems I see typical hipsters using as they brag about their LP collection and how much better it sounds than CD!

- In the early days that wasn’t true – CD could sound quite “harsh” in a lot of cases, and the “warm fuzz” of LP was just more musical. But they figured out the culprit (jitter) 15 years ago, so almost any CD player newer than that will put out sound quality like a $1000+ turntable.

- The most underrated and never-mentioned piece of equipment that you need to truly enjoy vinyl: a vacuum record cleaner. This is the gold standard for price-performance (mine is 20 years old and still works great): http://www.audioadvisor.com/Record-Doctor-V-Record-Cleaning-Machine/productinfo/RDV/

- And yes, I think 24 bit / 96 KHz digital exceeds what vinyl can encode – or perhaps more accurately, what a piece of diamond flying along at high speeds banging into the walls of a wiggly vinyl canyon can effectively extract.

34. theres oil in virginia says:

Bag of Pucks,

A few comments:
    Giveaways may not be cool, but they sure are in fashion in Edmonton.

I think it’s evolved into “Get good players, fire them out of a cannon – good things will happen.”

I’m pretty sure it’s spelled pocession.

Who the hell are Kim Mitchell and Alan Parsons? Is Graham his cool, older brother?

There may be a cool-conundrum coming: Ray Ferraro (cool) has been linked with the Vancouver Canucks (very uncool). For those insisting on proof, look no further than
    here.

35. Bag of Pucks says:

I love Kim Mitchell AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!!

Then I guess you’re not cool then ; )

36. steveb12344 says:

Maybe this means you are one of the cool kids.

37. The Great One says:

G Money:
    theres oil in virginia,

I answered your question in my ultra verbose post!My even-more extended answer is:

- Yes, analog sounds better than CD digital, but ONLY on high-end gear that can actually extract and do justice to the waveform there.Over any “mortal” system, CD will generally blow LP away.By high-end I mean Rega as a bare minimum, but more like Linn or Clearaudio and up.(Cartridges same deal).

- In the early days that wasn’t true – CD could sound quite “harsh” in a lot of cases, and the “warm fuzz” of LP was just more musical.But they figured out the culprit (jitter) 15 years ago, so almost any CD player newer than that will put out sound quality like a $1000+ turntable.

- The most underrated and never-mentioned piece of equipment that you need to truly enjoy vinyl: a vacuum record cleaner.This is the gold standard for price-performance (mine is 20 years old and still works great): http://www.audioadvisor.com/Record-Doctor-V-Record-Cleaning-Machine/productinfo/RDV/

Yeah, but how do you cook your steak?

Bag of Pucks: Then I guess you’re not cool then ; )

Dammit! I try so hard!!

39. steveb12344 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Ty… That cleared up everything, although I’m not sure what poor Natalie did to deserve her spot on that list.

If you ask me, I always thought Jo was a fraud. I mean who really bought the notion that she was some tough chick from the Bronx anyways.

40. G Money says:

The Great One: Yeah, but how do you cook your steak?

I tell the waiter at Caesar’s “medium rare” and it magically gets cooked for me!*

* I like me some eating but my palate is not nearly as refined as my ears.

41. theres oil in virginia says:

steveb12344: Maybe this means you are one of the cool kids.

Hahaha LT, I’m cool and you’re not! Wait a second, I like “Natalie (from The Facts of Life)”…dammit, foiled again!!!

42. The Great One says:

Bag of Pucks: Of allLTs retro gals, she’s the one I like best. Classy dame. Tragedy. Robert Wagner’s a putz.

Raquel Welch should get more love on here IMO. That women has some seriously impressive genes.

Genes?

43. steveb12344 says:

I don’t think we’re talking about the same Natalie dude.

44. RexLibris says:

I love Kim Mitchell AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!!

Yeah, I kind of thought “Patio Lanters” would strike a chord with the romantic in you – speaking as one myself.

And anyone familiar with the Oilers has felt a certain resonance with “I know I’m a lot of feathers and not much chicken”.

45. Halfwise says:

I feel so dirty.

Checked the standings and am now rooting for Calgary to stay ahead of the Oil. That way I can still want the Oilers to learn to win while still securing a top 4 pick.

2-0 over Ducks in 1st.

Edit 3-0 on about 5 shots.

46. Pouzar says:

GO FLAMES GO!!!

47. HiddenDarts says:

justDOit,

justDOit:
    The Great One,

justDOit:
    The Great One,

justDOit:
    The Great One,

justDOit:
    The Great One,

Can I tell the difference between 192 and 320? Nope. Not really.

48. Southern Oil says:

The OT period between Winnipeg & Vancouver was some good hockey. Hoping the Jets can pull it out in the shootout.

49. The Great One says:

Southern Oil:
    The OT period between Winnipeg & Vancouver was some good hockey.Hoping the Jets can pull it out in the shootout.

Nope.

But it doesn’t matter.

50. Southern Oil says:

Well that sucked!

51. Marcus Oilerius says:

I feel like I’m watching Oilers vs Blackhawks in that 9-2 game.

52. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money,

Thanks G. That’s more or less what I figured. I’ve got a buddy with a high-end system who plays LP from time to time. Sounds great. Never done a test though to see if I could tell them one from the other. I listen to a lot of low-def music, from old blues to thrash metal. You don’t need high end for that, just turn it way up (to 11).

53. Bag of Pucks says:

steveb12344: I don’t think we’re talking about the same Natalie dude.

That’s why I deleted the post!

54. alice13 says:

My problem with this whole Gazdic/Fraser thing – is they’re not the same thing, so it can’t be a thing.

As we all know, Gazdic plays F, and on the 4th line, and if he brings something that’s not reflected in his CF% I’m fine with that, He’s on the 4th line and so will Never share ice with the expensive boys. That’s good. If his being there provides a bit of assurance by deterrence, all the better. As LT said, having him means you don’t have to go chase after one of him. Paint-by-numbers, fill in the spot colored face-puncher.

Which brings me to Fraser. As we know he’s not the same thing, he’s a D. If he’s as poor as some think, that’s bad because D is too important a position, – you can’t hide a guy playing that spot for his pugibility because he plays close to the goalie’s crease AND he will be playing when the expensive guys are playing and those expensive guys will be playing in their own end because of his inability to help clear the zone under control.

Some time ago WG and somebody got into it over RNH and PK’ing. Buddy said RNH seemed to be doing fine at it, WG just wasn’t keen on the idea in the broader sense, but he didn’t articulate it. Here it is: RNH is expensive. The $ are for what he can do in the offensive zone, and the PK is a D-zone project. If you take some minutes out of his game to PK you’re stealing them from the O-zone, which is where he needs to be in order to be earning his premium.

In short, while our expensive fellows no doubt appreciate the Gazdics who can give the team some air support from another line, they also appreciate a back end who can get them the puck. If your fighter is not a hockey player, he has to be a winger. If you have a good D who can fight too, that’s great, but you can’t put hockey-challenged players on the back end, or you hoop the whole team.

55. Crooked says:

I remember when he was drafted, he was considered a future #2 center with leadership ability. Hopefully he finally does get that opportunity, instead of being stuck on the 4th line with boat anchors for linemates.

56. book¡je says:

G Money,

Just curious, that’s all. At some point, the quality of the sound difference will be beyond human hearing. The only way to know this is with a rigorous test. I am curious where the technology boundary that matters is.

57. The Great One says:

alice13,

Great post.

What Eakins is trying with Hopkins is exactly what Tortorella is trying with the Sedins.

He has them PK’ing and blocking shots while they had tremendous success with overwhelming Ozone stats and regulated TOI.

It’s just dumb.

58. justDOit says:

HiddenDarts:
    justDOit,

Can I tell the difference between 192 and 320? Nope. Not really.

This is uncompressed. Totally different. A CD is 16/44 for reference.

59. justDOit says:

I was a lot happier with the score in the Flames game before I saw it was the 1st period. Keep the pedal down boys.

60. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I just wrote this:

I don’t look at Gazdic being in the lineage of Stortini. I vaguely remember the Oilers running Stortini and MacIntyre, with the two being a light/heavy duo. In that template, Hendricks is Stortini and Gazdic is MacIntyre. Both are upgrades IMO.

61. theres oil in virginia says:

From ESPN.com:

Dimeff said Peverley’s heart was beating very fast and then stopped, but he thinks for only a few seconds. It didn’t take long for medical personnel — and an unknown woman in a green Stars jersey who is believed to be a season-ticket holder — to jump into action and start CPR.

62. gvblackhawk says:

alice13:

That was VOR. I left a note beside my computer after that one….”Don’t pick fight with VOR”.

63. G Money says:

HiddenDarts: Uh, call me a “leading edge user”, but I rip my CDs at 320kbps! This ain’t 2002 anymore, friends. Lots of space available for almost any device.
    Can I tell the difference between 192 and 320? Nope. Not really.

- What you’re talking about is the compressed rate for lossy compression of digital audio. The more compressed it is, the more you sound quality you lose (“lossy”).

- At its heart, in the physical world, sound is a complex wave. To convert it into digital format, you have to turn it into numbers. You do this by sampling the waveform at regular intervals and converting the wave level you see into a number.

- The “44KHz” number is an example of the rate at which the sampling occurs. On a CD, this is 44,000 samples per second. This frequency is chosen for a very specific reason: there is something called a Nyquist frequency, above which you can’t effectively distinguish signals from their harmonics.

- The Nyquist frequency is half the sampling frequency, which means that a CD can effectively record up to 22KHz. It is generally considered that the upper end of human hearing up to the young teens is about 20KHz (after that it starts to roll off as you get older). To keep the signal clean, CD audio source is rolled off above 20Khz before conversion to digital.

- CD audio uses 16 bit samples, meaning it chops the sound at each sample into a number that is 16 bits in size. That allows for 65,536 levels.

- In other words, the data stream from a CD consists of 2 channels of 44,000 numbers each, with each number between 0 and 65,535, per second.

- In kbps terms, this is a rate of about 1,411 kbps

- So an MP3 running at 320 kbps is compressed to about 1/4 of the natural CD rate of 16/44

- If you see a pro-grade sample rate of 24/96, it means that the waveform is sampled at 24 bits (meaning approximately 16,777,000 levels) and 96,000 times per second. In my opinion, this is probably at a fidelity beyond the human ears ability to distinguish (I state this as an opinion grounded in my knowledge of signal processing, not based on actual research or that kinda crap)

64. gvblackhawk says:

I love Kim Mitchell AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!!

‘Go For A Soda’ is a great, classic Canadian rock song. Really fun to play on the guitar, too.

65. The Great One says:

G Money: Tidbits about digital audio for those who care (we’ve seen lots of discussion on music, food, movies, and books, so why not digital audio?):

- What you’re talking about is the compressed rate for lossy compression of digital audio.The more compressed it is, the more you sound quality you lose (“lossy”).

- At its heart, in the physical world, sound is a complex wave.To convert it into digital format, you have to turn it into numbers.You do this by sample the wave at regular intervals and converting the level you see into a number.

- The “44KHz” number is the rate at which the sampling occurs.On a CD, this is 44,000 samples per second.This frequency is chosen for a very specific reason: there is something called a Nyquist frequency, above which you can’t effectively distinguish signals from their harmonics.

- The Nyquist frequency is half the sampling frequency, which means that a CD can effectively record up to 22KHz.It is generally considered that the upper end of human hearing up to the young teens is about 20KHz (after that it starts to roll off as you get older).

- CD audio uses 16 bit samples, meaning it chops the sound at each sample into a number that is 16 bits in size.That allows for 65,536 levels.

- In kbps terms, this is a rate of about 1,411 kbps

- If you see a pro-grade sample rate of 24/96, it means that the waveform is sampled at 24 bits (meaning approximately 16,777,000 levels) and 96,000 times per second.In my opinion, this is probably at a fidelity beyond the human ears ability to distinguish (I state this as an opinion grounded in my knowledge of signal processing, not based on actual research or that kinda crap)

So.

Medium rare?

66. gvblackhawk says:

gvblackhawk: That was VOR.I left a note beside my computer after that one….”Don’t pick fight with VOR”.

On second thought, I think that note was left after VOR’s fight with Dellow.

67. G Money says:

The Great One: So.

Incredible album. Maybe not his best, but a monumental work. LP sounds a bit better than the CD.

Medium rare?

Correct.

68. Bag of Pucks says:

gvblackhawk: ‘Go For A Soda’ is a great, classic Canadian rock song.Really fun to play on the guitar, too.

Same goes for ‘High Class in Borrowed Shoes’ in analog – medium well.

Digital amps are to guitar tones what Fraser is to Corsi.

69. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I just wrote this:

Well worth the read, agreed with most of it.

70. The Great One says:

Cogliano with his 20th goal.

How is that Gagner kid doing?

71. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

The Great One,

Count me as one who thinks it’s a bad idea using RNH to PK, I’m always hearing Stauffer saying your best players should PK, usually uses Toews & Datsyuk as comparable’s.

Personally, I think it burns the kids out, plus, it doesn’t make sense when the teams best players just finished a PP a normal coach would want to counter with his best players, kind of counter productive.

72. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: something called a Nyquist frequency, above which you can’t effectively distinguish signals from their harmonics

I’m gonna have to dock points here. At frequencies above the Nyquist, aliasing is present, which is due to insufficient samples per cycle of the wave, causing the waveform (at those high frequencies) to be improperly represented. (If you picture a sine wave at a given frequency, in order to reconstruct the wave from regularized samples of it, you’ve got to sample it at least twice (and even that is somewhat insufficient if you miss the two peaks) within a single cycle. Hence the Nyquist frequency being half the sampling frequency. The old video of the wheel of a forward moving wagon appearing to rotate backward is a good example of aliasing. Amplitude and frequency distortion occurs above the Nyquist. Anti-alias filtering removes these frequencies prior to sampling.

(Don’t worry G, when I start spouting off crazily about MBA stuff – which is bound to happen sooner or later, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to dock me back!)

73. The Great One says:

Wes Mantooth-11:
    The Great One,

Count me as one who thinks it’s a bad idea using RNH to PK,I’m always hearing Stauffer saying your best players should PK, usually uses Toews & Datsyuk as comparable’s.

Yep.

And having your best players on the PK also exposes them to injury since it’s very likely they’ll be called on to block a lot of shots.

If you don’t have a 3rd line that can kill penalties, get a new new 3rd line.

74. justDOit says:

SMID!

75. RexLibris says:

Smid makes it 6-1 in a shot from the slot after sneaking down low into the play.

Must be Wacky Wednesday.

76. gvblackhawk says:

Bag of Pucks: Same goes for ‘High Class in Borrowed Shoes’ in analog – medium well.

Digital amps are to guitar tones whatFraser is to Corsi.

Ha. Great analogy. I like to use tube amps at home because they sound better, imo, but I do have a solid-state Marshall for those times when I take an amp on the road — they are so much lighter!

77. OilFire says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m gonna have to dock points here.At frequencies above the Nyquist, aliasing is present, which is due to insufficient samples per cycle of the wave, causing the waveform (at those high frequencies) to be improperly represented.(If you picture a sine wave at a given frequency, in order to reconstruct the wave from regularized samples of it, you’ve got to sample it at least twice (and even that is somewhat insufficient if you miss the two peaks) within a single cycle.Hence the Nyquist frequency being half the sampling frequency.The old video of the wheel of a forward moving wagon appearing to rotate backward is a good example of aliasing.Amplitude and frequency distortion occurs above the Nyquist.Anti-alias filtering removes these frequencies prior to sampling.

That’s what he means by harmonics. :)

78. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia,

Heh heh, feel free to dock points, but bear in mind that I was trying to explain the concept in laymans terms, so I took some liberties with the descriptions (though the creation of false harmonics IS the general effect of aliasing). Now if you want to get picky!

Your description is mostly correct but:

- “and even that is somewhat insufficient if you miss the two peaks” – isn’t actually accurate. The idea is that a sampling rate of x will perfectly reproduce a waveform that contains signals no greater than x/2 in frequency (you don’ t need to hit the peaks or any other constraint as long as the frequency limit is met). Nyquist showed that you can’t have more than x discrete signals in a communication channel of x/2 in frequency – actually bandwidth, and Claude Shannon reversed that into the sampling version that we know and love.

- It’s also not quite right to say “Anti-alias filtering removes these frequencies prior to sampling”. Filters are notoriously finicky beasts and can have all kinds of nasty effects on sound. The more steep the filter, generally the nastier the effect. This is why CD audio usually rolls sound off starting at 20KHz – the 2KHz buffer to the Nyquist frequency gives you leeway to use a more gentle filter. Also, the filtering doesn’t remove the frequencies, it just reduces them to the point where the resulting aliasing is at such a low level that it doesn’t audibly affect the sound.

There, have I proven my chops, or do I need to get into the MBA stuff too?! (I did an MSc before I did my MBA!).

79. whiskeytangoeberle says:

G Money,

Hello, just wanted to point out that in his book ‘How Music Works” David Byrne references a Dr. John Diamond who is a professional in the field of music therapy, of such. His experience using recorded music to treat and relax mentally ill patients changed with the introduction of the cd. With vinyl progress could be made, cds just made them cranky. Same music I’m sure.

So maybe vinyl doesn’t sound better but what if it feels better and which of those sounds better, by the way I myself am mentally unstable so my valids opinion.

80. theres oil in virginia says:

OilFire: That’s what he means by harmonics.

A definition first:

“A harmonic of a wave is a component frequency of the signal that is an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency” – from Wiki

Aliasing is not simply the inability to distinguish the fundamental from the harmonics. Aliasing effects can distort the amplitude at a given frequency, and can even appear as, gasp, “negative frequencies” which isn’t exactly the same as “negative waves”, of course. Wrap around effects, etc. So, yes it covers the inability to distinguish harmonics, but it is far from simply that. It’s getting late here in the east, I didn’t really intend to open this can of worms. Stupid me.

81. Numenius says:

Good thing we didn’t trade for Hiller.

2 saves on 5 shots, .400 SV%

Then again Fasth’s SV% wasn’t so hot in the 1st period yesterday either.

82. AZOIL says:

Wonder if the ducks wish they had fasth right about now! Both their goalies are having a rough night! I guess they have Gibson though if things don’t work out. Nice to have depth!!!

83. wheatnoil says:

There are times in life when the tumblers all fall into place and you get the perfect opportunity at the perfect time. If Lander gets the 2C start tomorrow, then it’ll be that time for him.

There’s never really been doubt that he plays tough, he seems to get under the opponent’s skin for some reason, he can PK, by all accounts he’s a natural leader and a hard worker… the only question was his offense. Getting a chance late in the season in a contract year on a team with a lack of quality centres while being nicely in the age-cluster the GM is looking to build the team around?

Ball’s in your court Lander. Good luck!

84. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money,

Wait! You can’t nitpick the nitpicker! That’s a foul. But, I’m going to nitpick you back, and keep in mind that I was trying to explain this to a guy with an MBA. (I hope you know this is all just stupid tongue-in-cheek stuff!) The missing the peak part leads to the amplitude effects, you don’t sample the peak, and you have dampened the amplitude. It happens a lot even at frequencies below the Nyquist.

I’ll grant you the filtering doesn’t remove falsehood, and raise you (mixed metaphor) a story and a full disclosure. I don’t know shit about audible frequencies and said processing. I’m a seismologist (it’s not cool, like audio signal processing). The filters that are used on most digital seismographs are so shitty (way too sharp) that when you record a very impulsive signal, such as a nearby small earthquake (which have lots of high frequency signal), the filter puts an acausal ring right at the P-wave onset, which we need in order to pick the arrival time (for location), and what’s worse (run-on sentence) is that we often want to pick the polarity of the first motion (for determination of fault orientation and slip vector), which is impossible (without re-filtering and distorting the waveform again) when the ringing masks the first arrival. The solution, of course, is to sample at a higher rate, such that the filter is not cutting into the signals bandwidth and therefore not aliasing it.

I say again, damn the Oilers suck. Look what we’ve become. (And don’t you dare start talking about that MBA stuff.)

85. HiddenDarts says:

G Money,

Great information, to be sure. Unfortunately, I don’t think my hearing has ever been good enough to distinguish the differences. Even between CD and mp3, as an example.

86. G Money says:

whiskeytangoeberle,

This is quite possible. In the early days of CD, the sound had a reputation for being somewhat “harsh”.

Some of this is because CDs actually reproduce high frequencies better than the vast majority of LP players do, and that difference can be problematic for someone used to the ‘softer’ sound of vinyl.

But he main reason (I would say to you) is that in the late 80s, they discovered – or maybe uncovered is a better word – two aspects of digital audio that were vanishingly tiny but had a nasty effect on the sound: jitter and quantization error.

Jitter is a timing error, an incredibly tiny variation in the timing of the data feed of the CD and into the digital-analog converter. Even a small amount (nanoseconds) of jitter created a sonic effect which can be described as “harsh”, “hashy”, “grainy”, “flat”, etc.

Since then, CD players have gone increasingly to oversampling and clock synchronization between drive and DAC which reduces the effect of jitter.

The second issue is quantization error, which is the fact that when you convert the waveform into a number, you have to “force” it to one of the 65K levels. Unless the signal matches perfectly, this will always involve a little bit of error. This error seems to be a “fixed” error, one which you can just barely perceive the effect of, but which adds a sense of artificiality to the sound. It literally sounds “digital”.

Weirdly enough, one of the most effective ways to minimize this digital error is by adding noise, called dither. It’s weird to think adding noise to improve the sound, but what it does is it sort of randomizes and spreads those quantization errors. By randomizing the error, you don’t perceive it anymore, it becomes “natural”. The effect is a smoother sound. I’m still not entirely sure I understand how that works!

Most of the harshness complaints have disappeared since the jitter and dither siblings came to CD Town (though that hasn’t stopped audiophiles steeped in the lore of $10,000 turntables and $5,000 cables from insisting that it hasn’t changed at all).

So to get back to your original point – yes, I can see in the early days of CD that using CDs could certainly negatively affect those sensitive to that particular hash. I do not think you would find that today unless you’re comparing a mega $ turntable to a cheap CD player played over equipment that can resolve the difference.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m a vinyl junkie. This is my amp:

I mostly listen to jazz. I freely admit that I enjoy the experience more than mp3s or CDs. Most of the time I lack the aural powers to discern a major difference between the two mediums (sometimes the range or what have you of vinyl really shines through, I find this works better — to my ear at least — with Jazz, classical or something like Zappa. Most rock comes through roughly the same to my ear).

I frankly don’t care. I like it.

88. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m a seismologist (it’s not cool, like audio signal processing)

That’s awesome! I’m a microseismologist!* (seriously) All is forgiven!

*Or let me clarify – I run a microseismic monitoring company. The physicists in our company would have my head for pretending to be one of them. All my knowledge of digital audio comes from being a long-time audiophile together with my computing background.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: I don’t look at Gazdic being in the lineage of Stortini.I vaguely remember the Oilers running Stortini and MacIntyre, with the two being a light/heavy duo.In that template, Hendricks is Stortini and Gazdic is MacIntyre.Both are upgrades IMO.

But, even with him we are pretty far from a good hockey player.

At any rate, I don’t think having both serves a hockey team very well (Hendricks and Gazdic).

Wes Mantooth-11,

thanks!

90. frjohnk says:

Wes Mantooth-11:

I like Gazdic, I believe he fills a role that can’t be measured with goals, points or corsi, but I wish he could just at least hold his own against 4th line competition. Too many times our 4th line gets hemmed in our own end, and most games the 4th line gets outplayed. Now I know the oilers do not lose too many games because of the 4th line getting outplayed, because the oilers 4th line is not on the ice much, but little things like this, do not improve our chances to win.

If the oilers had a fourth line that could outplay most other teams 4th lines, its a step in the right direction. If a line like Horak-Lander-Pitlick were playing as the 4th line, its most likely an upgrade to what we have. These guys are young, hungry, two way guys with some skill and speed who would play with energy.

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

frjohnk: Or maybe I have just had a few too many beers tonight and Im clearly in left field.

I don’t think so.

I suspect many around here would laud a Lander-Horak-Pitlick line.

92. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: That’s awesome!I’m a microseismologist!(seriously)All is forgiven!

In the oil patch, no doubt? Cool. I shoulda guessed, I figured the signal proc. stuff was simply a hobby. (BTW, I never intended to take-away from what you wrote, it was quite good. I knew you wouldn’t get offended, though.) So, do you have an MS in geophysics, or other and you’ve migrated into the field? Alright, so what are the odds that I can get a job up there in Canada working with BIG OIL? I’m an American, you know. I always like to know the economic climate.

93. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Fair enough. There is a “romance” to vinyl that simply doesn’t exist with CD. And sometimes vinyl sounds “better” just because it sounds the way you want it to or remember it, as opposed to “more accurate” in terms of reproducing the original master recording. Tube amps are the same way – they are demonstrably less accurate than transistor amps, but many prefer the warmer sound.

I personally love the almost atmospheric sound of Magnepan speakers, but the lack of bottom end for rock and roll has always kept me from getting them.

As a vinyl junkie, I strongly strongly recommend you pick up a Record Doctor (per my previous link) or similar vacuum cleaning machine (if you don’t already have one).

94. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t think there is much doubt that Storts was a better player for his time than Gazdic is.

Yes, but my comment was that you should be comparing him with SMac, and comparing Hendricks with Stortini. In that framework, they’re both upgrades.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Khaira with an assist tonight.

Both Nurse and Platzer’s games were postponed. Awful weather today here in Ontario.

Reinhart two more assists tonight. both him and Draisaitl hovering at 99.

96. theres oil in virginia says:

whiskeytangoeberle: Hello, just wanted to point out that in his book ‘How Music Works” David Byrne references a Dr. John Diamond who is a professional in the field of music therapy, of such. His experience using recorded music to treat and relax mentally ill

I’m tangenting here, sorry, but you may be interested in the PBS NOVA documentary covering how music can actually subdue symptoms of turrets, and other disorders. It’s a great show and the drummer is awesome!

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Yes, but my comment was that you should be comparing him with SMac, and comparing Hendricks with Stortini.In that framework, they’re both upgrades.

I was trying to figure out what Gazdic’s contract is going to look like based on players in his situation from the recent past.

Stortini only came up in reference to JW’s piece that I cited as a point of reference for how bad Gazdic is.

98. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia,

My MSc is actually in CompSci. I migrated into the field by virtue of my experience with my software company, which had products targeted to the oil patch. I am now a customer of my own software!

Really, I don’t “do” microseismic, as much as I manage it … I run the Canadian division of my company, that’s where the MBA comes in I guess.

And yes, I think the job market for technical folk here is pretty hot in general. Caveat is the struggles of some gas-oriented producers which has resulted in a number of technical folks, including a number of geophysicists, being thrown into the market. I think that will be absorbed pretty quickly though.

What kind of seismology do you do? I think I will be hiring a couple of “true” (i.e. earthquake) seismologists soon! Could use another Oiler fan in the office, I’m surrounded by Leafs, Canooks, and Flames fans.

99. whiskeytangoeberle says:

G Money,

Just out of curiosity, do you see the difference in formats creating a gulf that can be easily circumvented with better application of digital technology?

What about the soul of the record man?

100. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: That’s awesome!I’m a microseismologist!*(seriously)All is forgiven!

*Or let me clarify – I run a microseismic monitoring company. The physicists in our company would have my head for pretending to be one of them.All my knowledge of digital audio comes from being a long-time audiophile together with my computing background.

Aha! Upon reading your infini-edit (brought to you by the good people at LoweTide), I see I was right! Close enough for me. I usually refer to myself as “some kind of seismologist”. I haven’t yet figured out which kind, except maybe “second rate”.

101. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t think so.

I suspect many around here would laud a Lander-Horak-Pitlick line.

I also approve of the Lander-Horak-Pitlick line.

102. stevezie says:

Bag of Pucks: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Skynard the band is uncool because of the ubiquity of Freebird and SHA, their association with the Stars and Bars, and their embarrassing current incarnation, but I would argue Snynard’s songs are, by and large, quite cool. Paradox of a legacy.

103. whiskeytangoeberle says:

theres oil in virginia,

Cool, thanks for the link.

G Money,

So I guess you already answered this, I’m kinda a slow.

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Fair enough.There is a “romance” to vinyl that simply doesn’t exist with CD.And sometimes vinyl sounds “better” just because it sounds the way you want it to or remember it, as opposed to “more accurate” in terms of reproducing the original master recording.Tube amps are the same way – they are demonstrably less accurate than transistor amps, but many prefer the warmer sound.

yes. it’s a classic situation of aura and experience, one that contemporary thinkers would trouble… oh, that’s so early 20th century!

I know about the various cleaners. I’ve got an old “disc washer” that I use. I’ll get around to a vacuum cleaner one day… probably.

This just came in the mail today… pretty excited with it:

105. G Money says:

And at long last, an on-topic hockey-related post before I hit the hay:

Please, please Hockey Gords, let Lander finally be able to leverage his skills at the NHL level. Let him play solid two-way hockey and contribute positively at both ends of the ice. Let us finaly have some depth and some quality on our fourth line. Don’t let him be another J F Jacques. You’ve f*cked us Oiler fans around enough. Thank you, Hockey Gords. Good night.

106. wheatnoil says:

G Money,

Amen!

107. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: What kind of seismology do you do? I think I will be hiring a couple of “true” (i.e. earthquake) seismologists soon!

Didn’t see this when giving my chintzy answer to the question. My BS is in Geology, with an option in Geophysics. I mostly covered oil-company style reflection seismology, with some other stuff thrown in, including generic interpretation, etc. My MS was seismic tomography at a volcano. It was a retread of work that had been done at Pinatubo, but we claim we improved it. Moving on…since then (10 years), I’ve been working with a real earthquake seismologist, who has been studying Virginia earthquakes (and eastern US earthquakes) for decades. I’ve been soaking up stuff from him like a sponge, and also have had a chance to reprocess some old crummy industry reflection seismic in areas that interest us tectonically.

108. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

frjohnk,

I tend to agree with that assessment.

I also agree with Rom, if Gazdic could play like Stortini he might be more useful.

IMO opinion, I honestly think the Oilers 3rd line would be a good forth line.

Gordon-Hendricks-Smyth

That’s my own take, the Oilers need to get a better 9 forwards, I would like to see Lander get more ice then a forth line roll, it’s just not a very good line to show anything.

I’ll catch a bunch of grief here, but I will be a little disappointed if the make up of the top six isn’t radically changed come next years training camp.

109. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia,

Very cool. The detection of induced seismicity from hydraulic frac’ing is becoming a pretty big part of our business. Volcanoes are cooler! I’m sure we’ll talk about it again when the mood and tangent strikes. Isn’t it super late in your part of the continent?? Anyway, it’s late enough for my old bones here in MDT, so good night all. And good night Anton, sleep well so you can kick some ass tomorrow!

110. Hammers says:

Lander with Hall & Perron . What the hell they got to loose vs Blues . Trouble is Eakins will play around yet again .

111. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m not comparing players in that manner in that piece, i.e., who’s better, where they fit on rosters, etc.

I know, that was me trying to force the template on you.

Also, you’re a Zappa fan? Awesome. I recently discovered “Zappa Plays Zappa” and they apparently did a show in Roanoke, VA (nearby me) recently. I watched a bunch of it on youtube, and I’m set to buy the DVD. I thought it was really good. I missed Ike Willis, though, and I recently discovered that Captain Beefheart died. Steve Vai was excellent in the video.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wes Mantooth-11: Gordon-Hendricks-Smyth

That has the makings of a very good 4th line. I don’t think we see it though.

113. wheatnoil says:

Wes Mantooth-11:
    frjohnk,

IMO opinion, I honestly think the Oilers 3rd line would be a good forth line.

Gordon-Hendricks-Smyth

I think we’re undervaluing Gordon a bit here. Gordon is a bonafide 3rd line centre. The guy is basically Atlas with the load he’s carrying on his shoulders. Let not his wingers confuse the picture. Hendricks and Smyth might be a good part of a 4th line, but Gordon deserves a little more icetime than 4th lines typically get. Though, I might add that I think Smyth is a legitimate 3rd liner if he’s on the wing and can play like he has this year, but that may be emotional nostalgia talking.

114. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money:
    theres oil in virginia,

Very cool.The detection of induced seismicity from hydraulic frac’ing is becoming a pretty big part of our business.Volcanoes are cooler!I’m sure we’ll talk about it again when the mood and tangent strikes.Isn’t it super late in your part of the continent??Anyway, it’s late enough for my old bones here in MDT, so good night all.And good night Anton, sleep well so you can kick some ass tomorrow!

Yeah, that’s picking up out here to. The Marcellus Shale is a hot target.

Insomnia is killing me. I’m stressed (normal life stuff nothing serious), and the crazy thing is when you’re stressed you need the sleep the most, but you can’t get it! Glad to have been distracted for a couple of hours rather than lay in the bed and stare at the ceiling.

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia,

I’m not a big fan of guitarist-guitarists if you know what I mean. But, I am very fond of this Steve Vai story:

116. B S says:

G Money:
    whiskeytangoeberle,

Weirdly enough, one of the most effective ways to minimize this digital error is by adding noise, called dither.It’s weird to think adding noise to improve the sound, but what it does is it sort of randomizes and spreads those quantization errors.By randomizing the error, you don’t perceive it anymore, it becomes “natural”.The effect is a smoother sound.I’m still not entirely sure I understand how that works!

The “noise” sounding more natural is a product of the human brain rather than the ear itself. Our ear is capable of hearing a range of 20-20,000 Hz, though mileage will vary as they say, Physical limitations are based on a variety of factors, but human ears can distinguish even slight differences in sound, especially with experience and training. sounds that can be distinguished are based on which hairs within the inner ear are vibrated, and whether the brain hears that signal. When the brain interprets that signal it isn’t breaking down all the frequencies heard next to each other into individual sounds but rather it’s combining them into a single sound within that timeframe (your sampling rate if you will) .

Your brain is constantly analyzing these sounds looking for changes in freqency or amplitude and trying to find a pattern (that it will then compare to memories of similar patterns synesthesia is an extreme example). Jittering takes over this pattern searching (what we would normally consider “listening”) by creating a “sound” that your brain wants to focus on to the exclusion of other frequencies because it is repeating and therefore a pattern. This brings me to noise. When there is no discernible pattern you brain (not your ear) tunes it out. This is typically subconscious, the way you can completely ignore the diesel engine on the bus or the inane chatter on the television, or wind in the trees. randomizing the “noise” allows your brain to ignore those sounds because there isn’t a pattern to find.

This mental interplay of pattern/non-pattern (i.e. the brain trying to determine whether to listen or not) is also probably why Jazz enthusiasts can find it so mentally stimulating while it simply makes good background music for others.

117. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That’s a great story. I can’t imagine being in his shoes, especially at such an age.

I’m not real big on virtuoso guitar either, but he really nails it in one of the songs on that show they recorded. Come to think of it, the way Vai described Zappa (visceral rather than virtuoso) fits what I like.

INFINI-EDIT: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf2IoJZhqI (Vai’s awesomeness starts at about 2:25)

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia,

I can’t stand guitar-guitarists typically.

This video, however, is one of my all time favorite things. ever. full-stop.

the self-satisfaction, the hilariously shitty drum machine, the terrible outfit and jewellery, the insipid title, the horrible song itself, the shaking of the tired hand at the end and best of all the line “it’s very hard to explain” accompanied by a smug shrug… on a fucking instructional video!

Yea, sure kid, I know you paid 79.99 for this VHS tape, hoping to learn something, instead I’m just going to tell you how great I am and play some shitty music. enjoy!

119. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yah…that’s a good summary of Yngwie! It’s like he doesn’t even really enjoy the music, just the virtuosity. I don’t put Vai in with that guy. I have to admit, though, that Yngwie is really good at playing notes on the guitar. I always liked Satriani when I was younger, but a lot of his music has some soul to it, and same with Vai.

120. gogliano says:

theres oil in virginia: Yeah, that’s picking up out here to.The Marcellus Shale is a hot target.

Insomnia is killing me.I’m stressed (normal life stuff nothing serious), and the crazy thing is when you’re stressed you need the sleep the most, but you can’t get it!Glad to have been distracted for a couple of hours rather than lay in the bed and stare at the ceiling.

If you’re on the inter tubes with insomnia hopefully you are using f.lux. Best option is no computer at all but I could never do it. I’ve found flux really helps.

121. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

wheatnoil,

No, I don’t think I’m under-valuing Gordon, I like for the same things you have mentioned.

I’m wondering though, if given the opportunity, would Lander produce more offence, given the same minutes?

Gordon would still be doing heavy lifting with own zone starts, PK work, but……..could Lander produce more?

I need to see it, I want to see it. I won’t if he’s slammed between Gazdic & whatever the Fin’s name is.

122. dsr29 says:

Watched Ekblad again tonight. Nothing dynamic about him. Fronts season ticket holder(maybe biased) but would take Bennett ahead of him all day.

123. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

I can’t stand guitar-guitarists typically.

This video, however, is one of my all time favorite things. ever. full-stop.

I was thinking “he has to be talking about Yngwie Malmsteen” before I clicked on the link and sure enough…I laughed.

I enjoy some guitar guitarists-Satriani comes to mind, but yeah, those endless hammer ons/pull offs don’t do much for me.

124. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That has the makings of a very good 4th line. I don’t think we see it though.

While I totally agree with you on that, To me,that’s a huge part of the Oilers issue though? Players playing out of position throughout the roster.

By my eye, the Oilers forth line is basically an in between line or tweener line of maybe good for the AHL but definitely not NHL quality yet.

125. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I got into Steve Vai from Nils from Rural Alberta Advantage. http://youtu.be/5GMIDm_ndSQ

Got into LT as a cooking blog and now it is an audio file blog. Which is great I learned something. Medium Rare Lossless for me but only if a Welsh Sheep Dog is punched in the face first.

Yesterday I jumped ahead of LTs “More and more, I wonder if 89 is a mid-season 2014-15 trade in terms of timeline.” old

Gagner, value wise, is likely here for the duration of his contract. Not the end of the world because it is our defense that is a bigger problem than our second line center in getting a playoff birth, the Western Conference is locked up by better teams for the length of the Gagners contract and even if we select a Center (which we should unless we trade the pick for a more established defender) it gives the Center a year in JR and a half year in the NHL as 3d line winger before he is needed at #2C.

Gagner is most likely to leave at the 2016 trade deadline and should, at that time, bring an excellent return.

126. theres oil in virginia says:

gogliano: If you’re on the inter tubes with insomnia hopefully you are using f.lux.Best option is no computer at all but I could never do it.I’ve found flux really helps.

Thanks. I’m gonna check this out and see if it helps. I’d heard of the idea that the light from the computer ain’t helping the insomnia, but didn’t know anything like this was out there.

127. book¡je says:

I used to struggle with insomnia and had concluded that coffee wasn’t a factor because on many days I would sleep fine after loads of coffee and have trouble sleeping on a day with minimal coffee. However, I cut back to 2 coffees a day before 10am and solved a long term insomnia problem. I’ve also found other factors (nitrates in meats, stress, etc) but eliminating caffeine after 10 am has been a massive improvement.

128. gcw_rocks says:

steveb12344,

Corsi can be instructive in many ways. Dellow’s work on Hall seems to indicate the reason for the drop off is more the coaching than the player, I believe.

But if you have a player that is used in multiple situations/strategies and his corsi consistently sucks, we can correlate the team stat with the players ability. See Gazdic, Jones, Acton, etc.

Stats like corsi can’t be used blindly, but they are often indicative and provide motivation to look more deeply into troubling events and questionable players and coaching decisions.

129. theres oil in virginia says:

Thanks Bookje. 5 hours sleep per night will ruin me sooner than later. I’ve never heard the link between insomnia and nitrates, but my nitrate intake has picked up the last few days as well (italian sausages are so good and so easy). Another unfortunate consequence of life getting stressful is diet going to hell. I’ve had similar experience with coffee too. I’ve had to give up the 2nd cup per day. I’ve heard caffeine tends to effect men more than women. My wife can drink a pot a day without too much (short term) trouble.

Also, I can’t believe I forgot about the most epic Zappa song featuring Steve Vai. It’s not that he required grooming! (Warning: rough lyrics. – In case you’re sensitive to that, here‘s the lyric free, long solo version.)

130. Pouzar says:

Battled insomnia for YEARS. Changed my diet completely in the last 2 months. Dropped 15 lbs ( from 185 to 170 ) and sleeping like a baby. I’ve tried it all. Melatonin, sleeping pills, Nyquil, booze, reading at night, sleepytime extra, etc.

Insomina begets a lot of other negative consequences like irritability, brain fog, etc.
    So basically this f^cks yer life so I decided I needed to be better. Stopped eating sugars, pastas, breads, and any processed garbage that fit into a box or wrapper and ready to eat. I now sleep great and the quality is excellent. No more feeling like crap in the morning cause yer body didn’t get the sleep it needed to tackle the next day. I now have more energy than I know what to do with.

Hopefully I don’t give in the my evil eating habits of past years and keep this going.

131. stephen sheps says:

dsr29:

With all due respect, I was also at the Frontenacs game last night and I completely disagree. It should be noted that while I am a Kingston resident, I am hardly a Frontenacs homer. My (insane) devotion to the Oilers is why I braved the storm last night to watch this particular game. Ekblad had a solid and rather high event night, as he was on the ice for 5 of Barrie’s 6 goals in addition to 2 goals against. He made quick decisions with the puck, often knew when to pinch and when to drop back into neutral ice/d-zone, and can definitely skate well for his age. He has a bit of an awkward sort of stance/posture when he’s moving up the ice, but lateral movement and backwards skating is very good. He’s very calm on the ice and has very good awareness, definitely a head-on-a-swivel type defenceman. He’s also rather vocal and directs traffic well, particularly on the breakout. When he wasn’t on the ice, the Colts didn’t move the puck out of their own zone nearly as effectively. However I will say that he doesn’t quite “look like a #1 overall” calibre player. He’s big, a man against boys, but he’s not NHL ready.

There were a few other excellent players on both sides last night. The Frontenacs have a 19 yr. old Finnish Defenceman, Mikko Vainonen (4th rd, Nashville in 2012) who looks like the real deal as well. Not a lot of offence, but really great skating and excellent positioning. 6’2, 210, skates like a much lighter player. The Devils draft-pick Ryan Kujawinski looks like he could be a player too. The real surprise on the Fronts is their rookie LW Lawson Crouse. At 16 he’s already 6’3, 180, plays with a lot of intensity, had a 4 point night last night and seems to be really coming into his own. He’s a player to watch. Since his birthday is june 1997, I think he’s still 2 years away from draft eligibility, but the kid can really play. (Note: I am probably wrong RE: draft eligibility…)

On the Colts Ekblad really stood out as the best player on the team, (probably on both teams, if I’m being honest), but they have a forward Andreas Athanasiou (Detroit 4th round 2012) who looks like another classic Detroit mid-round steal. He’ll need a couple of years in Grand Rapids to get gain some weight/strength (6ft, 165 at 19) but he’s got tremendous skill and vision on the ice, used in all situations and has really good positioning. He seemed to be everywhere for the Colts and also had a 4 point night. 67 points in his draft+1 year, now at 90 in draft +2. They also have an American born forward, Brendan Lemieux, who was all over the ice, and plays a really physical game for his size (6ft, 186). boxcars are GP:63 G25 A26, PIM 143. Right shooting C/RW, draft eligible this season. Not a first rounder by any means, but definitely reminds me of a 2nd round, Tyler Pitlick type player.

Sadly, the other big prospect, Sam Bennett, was not in the lineup last night, as he’s in the middle of a five game suspension for a high sticking incident.

132. russ99 says:

I do appreciate what Neil is doing here, trying to push the envelope on high-end audio that Apple refuses to do, but isn’t just yet another cash grab by record companies to get us to re-buy the same music in yet another format?

And how much better really is this format over your own WAV rips of a CD saved as a lossless FLAC file at similarly high sample rates that you can play on most devices already?

Not to mention the Pono player is the most poorly designed audio electronics since the Microsoft Zune, and likely even worse, once we see the real deal in action.

It probably would have been better had Neil convinced one of the major players to support his idea or go the open-source route (real curious to see if the filesize claims pan out) than going out alone and relying on Kickstarter.

Back to Oilers, I’m kinda done criticizing the brass (example: Lander only an option in top 6, the idea of Gagner’s NTC kicking in, re-signing Fraser, facepunchers in the bottom 6, etc.)
    since they’re obviously on a different path rather than conventional hockey wisdom or on things that numbers prove, and ripping it isn’t gonna solve anything.

Hope it works out for them, but it probably won’t.

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf2IoJZhqI

sounds great… but the video editing is atrocious.

no need to match the cuts to the frenetic pace of the music. it’s amateur hour stuff.

On Vai… the guy has serious chops. I just don’t care a lick for it. sounds like nonsense to me. I just have no appreciation for it. which is not to say I can’t recognize the obvious talent.

134. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: On Vai… the guy has serious chops. I just don’t care a lick for it.

Ha! I’m laughin’ over that line, ’cause I use it a lot too. I figure I’ve matured enough to at least be able to recognize talent even when I don’t care for the music. Jazz is a good example of that for me. I’ve been trying to force myself to listen to it more, instead of going for the blues-based stuff that I naturally favor.

Pouzar:

I now have more energy than I know what to do with.

You and your healthy living! You think you’re better than us? Huh?

I’m determined to follow suit, this Spring is scheduled to be the end of coffee for me for at least 3 months. I’ve already cut way back, and my sugar intake is decreasing too. I’ve at least managed to develop the habit of drinking plenty of water and no sodas, except occasionally.

135. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: Ha!I’m laughin’ over that line, ’cause I use it a lot too.I figure I’ve matured enough to at least be able to recognize talent even when I don’t care for the music.Jazz is a good example of that for me.I’ve been trying to force myself to listen to it more, instead of going for the blues-based stuff that I naturally favor.

You and your healthy living!You think you’re better than us?Huh?

I’m determined to follow suit, this Spring is scheduled to be the end of coffee for me for at least 3 months.I’ve already cut way back, and my sugar intake is decreasing too.I’ve at least managed to develop the habit of drinking plenty of water and no sodas, except occasionally.

Ha ha…

I still drink Coffee…I’d die first! :)

Yeah I cut out soda about 14 years ago. Drank way too much of that sh!t. I can’t moderate, it’s all or nothing with me