MAN UP!

Since the day Chris Pronger left town, the Edmonton Oilers have been without a certain type of leadership. Or so it appears. During Pronger’s time in Edmonton, fans like me (what’s the opposite of Insider?) would hear that the big defenseman was a terror to teammates. If things weren’t going well, if someone was screwing the pooch, Pronger was the guy in the room to call them out.

This is what we heard.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t print that because there’s no available evidence. However, we’re most of a decade away from that moment in time and all but Ryan Smyth, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish are gone (among the main cast).

Today, Ken Warren published an article that included a quote from Ales Hemsky about the Edmonton Oilers.

• Hemsky:I don’t know how to explain it. If somebody knew, they should step up and help them, but they haven’t figured it out yet. Maybe it’s just the kids. They have to step up and lead the team to the playoffs. They’ve been there for a long time and it’s their time, you know. They can’t only blame older guys or change their fourth line. They’ve got to start leading the team to the playoffs. Be leaders. That’s probably the one thing. But they are all great guys and I had a great time and hopefully they will turn it around and get into the playoffs. People deserve it there, you know. It’s a hockey city. People love their hockey and it’s painful.”

Dallas Eakins and GM Craig MacTavish saw fit to sign and name Andrew Ference captain last summer, an indication that there was in fact a void in leadership. That’s a tell, that’s something to ponder.

Still, I’m not onside with blaming the kids on this one. This team is fractured on defense and balance is a thing other teams employ. The TOI given to non-NHL blue since Hall arrived is incredible. How much of that do we blame on the kids? The annual “we didn’t shoot the coach but the gun went off” changes have had their impact, too.

Hall and Eberle have delivered offense since their arrival, and with the exception of this season Hall has been pushing the river. Even with the failures of the current season, any fool can see they’re highly skilled contributors. Were they elevated too soon to the pleasure dome of higher minutes and allowed to roam free? Sure, but hell boys that’s on the Oilers.

Hemsky’s words can be construed in all manner of ways, but for me “they” also speaks to management and coaching. If there is a problem, and it appears to be so, the Edmonton Oilers management group would do well to have a long look in the mirror. And if there’s any manning up to do, it should begin at the coaching and management level.

Before you send away any more good players, remember the words of Hemsky today. When he said “they can’t figure it out” he wasn’t just talking about the players. Not in my opinion, anyway.

137 Responses to "MAN UP!"

1. OilClog says:

Of all the trades, Weight hurt more then Smyth to me.. The Hemsky dream has to be all around the most painful experience as an Oiler fan I’ve ever felt.

Hemsky is one of the best players to ever play for the Oilers. It’s criminal to me as a fan that he’s wearing another Teams colours. It’s sickening.

I’m embarrassed to admit to anyone anymore who my team is. I get a Dbl Dbl from Tim’s, don’t realize I’m wearing an Oilers hat and the server starts laughing at me because we traded Hemsky! A freaking Vancouver fan! Laughing. Because we traded Hemsky.

Fuck

2. Ryan says:

Thanks for this LT, I heart the quote on the radio today, but was distracted. I couldn’t find it on the Al Gore until now.

3. G Money says:

Pfffft.

Oiler management haven’t figured it out?!?!

You can’t trust what Hemsky says, his words are full of enigmaism and he’s got a bad softitude.

Six Rings!

4. Ryan says:

What Hemsky doesn’t know is what Marincin has already told us.

The Oilers blue is a clusterfuck and if management can improve the blue line, the corgis might start barking again.

5. HugThePost says:

Ouch. The truth hurts.

Sometimes the hardest thing is to take that long look at oneself in the mirror and I suspect there is some of that happening at all levels of this organization.

6. Younger Oil says:

In this league, especially this division, it gets to the point where pure skill isn’t enough. There needs to be a willingness to give your all on every shift. Too many of our players pass up the chance to check the opposition after they make a pass, or go to the tough areas. Pitlick and Arcobello have probably been the best at that this year, aside from Perron, and they are both in the minors. Ultimately, it’s the fault of the players for not taking the initiative to play in that matter, and the fault of the coaches and the management for not rewarding the players who use their body effectively, regardless of their size. While both parties are at fault, it is the fanbase that suffers. This organization is definitely in the need of a culture change.

Now, I’m not saying we need to blow up the team completely, but it can’t be denied that what we have now isn’t working. We don’t need to trade our youth for grizzled veterans, but players who embrace all aspects of the game, offensively, defensively, and physically. Gagner, Eberle, and in my opinion Hall, while they are great offensively, they honestly haven’t shown any notable strides in their playing styles while adapting to the NHL game. I know a large part of this is from having a new coach essentially every season, but one would think 200+ NHL games would be enough to at least begin to show some consistent defensive or two way ability.

While at the beginning of the season I was incredibly against trading any of the kids, after this perpetual cycle of failure, I think it is something that definitely needs to be strongly considered. While it would open up holes at the top end of our forwards, moving a first liner for a second liner and a competent NHL defenceman could really help our lineup in my opinion.

Now, just for an example, just to try to show what I’m getting at, here is what our lineup could look like if we traded Hall to Nashville for Josi and Wilson, Eberle to Ottawa for Cowen and Lazar, and Gagner to NYI for Nelson, and Signed Winnik in the offseason, and keep Nurse and the #1 pick of this draft in junior:

RNH-Perron-Yak
    Arco-Wilson-Lazar
    Gordon-Nelson-Winnik
    Lander-Horak-Pitlick

Josi-Petry
    Marincin-Cowen
    Ference-Schultz

Now, the point of my argument wasn’t to make fantasy trades, so I hope proposing this lineup doesn’t take away from my points, but every single one of those forwards give their all on every shift (from what I’ve seen of them), and all except Yak (who is still learning) know how to play hockey in their own end, and efficiently use their bodies. While it might not have the top end talent, in my opinion it would make a better team, that the fans would rarely accuse of taking a night off.

7. spoiler says:

LT said:

This is a wonderful line.

8. theres oil in virginia says:

It doesn’t sound like “blaming the kids” to me. Sounds more like he’s saying that in order for the team to improve markedly, the kids are going to have to step up and take ownership. They’ve got to pick that rock up and carry it to the top of the mountain. It’s not blame for what’s happened in the past, it’s simply what’s got to happen going forward. It’s their team. I don’t have any doubt that they’ll get it done.

9. misfit says:

G Money:
    Pfffft.

Oiler management haven’t figured it out?!?!

Six Rings!

theres oil in virginia:
    It doesn’t sound like “blaming the kids” to me.Sounds more like he’s saying that in order for the team to improve markedly, the kids are going to have to step up and take ownership.They’ve got to pick that rock up and carry it to the top of the mountain.It’s not blame for what’s happened in the past, it’s simply what’s got to happen going forward.It’s their team.I don’t have any doubt that they’ll get it done.

11. misfit says:

theres oil in virginia:

That’s exactly how I read it too.

12. Younger Oil says:

I other news, Craig Button’s new list (which I rarely agree with) is up:

13. G Money says:

misfit,

Yup. That’s logically why Yak will be the next goat. Hemsky enigmatically got them off the ice too early, now with Yak they enigmatically never leave.

14. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: They can’t get it done without major help from MacT. The blueline remains a mess.

Yeah, I agree. I almost added that in, but retracted it so not to muddy my message. The kids have to take ownership of the team. Grab it and make it theirs. I think the help is coming, though. We see it in Marincin, hopefully soon in Klefbom, and then in Nurse. That’s quite an addition. However, they’ll only go as far as Hall and Co. take them.

15. book¡je says:

“You can’t trust what Hemsky says, his words are full of enigmaism and he’s got a bad softitude”

“This team has been practicing since Wednesday because Hemsky hasn’t been there to be the first off the ice.”

These are both great.

16. Ryan says:

breaking news from Jonathan Quick:

“He has done it all year, he did it with us too,” he said “I think he is just what this team needed here in Edmonton. He consistently gives you a solid effort and a chance to win every night. We put 50 shots on him and they still had a chance at the end there.

“For a few years now I think it is an area the Oilers needed improvement, not to knock the goalies they had before. The team defence could be better as well. But (Scrivens) has really stepped in since he came here and given them a chance to win every night.”

source:

Anyway, I think it’s a mistake to brush off the impact of having a bad coach.

It reminds me of Gregor’s paradoxical conclusion. He used to spout about the Oilers have sucked under 3 different coaches, therefore coaching is not the problem.

That’s about as insightful of saying the Oilers have had sucked with 3 different goalies therefore goaltending is not the problem. (Dubnyk, Labarbera, Khabibulin).

If you have a three goalies that suck, it’s still 3 goalies that suck.

17. book¡je says:

Interesting comments from Hemsky, but really, I agree with LT and others here. Both last year and this year the forwards are being bogged down by the defense. They need at least 4 NHL calibre defensemen and 6 would be great.

Ryan:
    breaking news from Jonathan Quick:

source:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/carter-scores-twice-as-kings-beat-oilers-for-seventh-straight-win/article17391199/

Christ, that’s a find.

19. book¡je says:

Also, what’s the over/under for how long it takes for the mainstream media to take Hemsky’s words and attack the ‘kids’. I suspect Jones will now see Hemsky as a respected veteran voice calling out the lazy and selfish kids.

20. Younger Oil says:

book¡je:
    Interesting comments from Hemsky, but really, I agree with LT and others here.Both last year and this year the forwards are being bogged down by the defense.They need at least 4 NHL calibre defensemen and 6 would be great.

While this is true, I don’t think we can pin it all on the D. While our bottom pairing has been AHL quality all year, there are 5 players on the ice to cover, and the two defencemen can’t be expected to cover them all. The ratio of defence making a bad play to the forwards blowing their coverage is probably pretty close. The forwards would look better with an actual NHL defence, but I would wager that the defence would look just as good with a set of defensively apt NHL forwards.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

My first question is how is Terry Jones and Co. going to respond to this?

On the one hand, Hemsky is bad and not a leader etc. And, on the other there’s nothing they like more than telling us that so-and-so isn’t leading…

must be so torn.

———
    My other thoughts are basically that this team has a structural problem first (ie., roster construction); a system/defensive buy-in problem second; and a if there is a lack of accountability on the team, it ranks third.

Now, the thing about accountability is it can be solved, or at least tackled, at any time. MacT doesn’t have to find two blue liners to accomplish that.

the kids could probably use some “doin’ it for myself” attitude right about now

———–
    One thing I’ll mention though is last night everyone in the post game mentioned they thought the “effort” of the team was fine.

FWIW, I don’t really care. Losers talk about effort. I want talent and execution and intelligent reads on the plays. I don’t care if “you’ve left it all on the ice” if you haven’t done the job well or can’t.

22. book¡je says:

I think I figured out the whole strategy for the last five year.

Oilers management is trying to make the kids so sick of losing that they will stand up and lead this team to wins. It makes perfect sense. Its like when parents caught their kids with a cigarette they would make them smoke the whole pack.

23. frjohnk says:

Younger Oil:
    I other news, Craig Button’s new list (which I rarely agree with) is up:

Just looked and saw that Virtanen is ranked 41 on Buttons list!

He is ranked 10th on Mckenzies, 7th on ISS and 9th on NHL 2014 draft prospects.

Not sure if he goes top 10, but if is still around at 41, that would be a steal.

24. prairieschooner says:

How good a job has MacT done

Theoretical scenario

Which is better the current D with one Martin Marincin
    or
    A defence with 6 Martin Marincins

25. The Great One says:

book¡je:
    I think I figured out the whole strategy for the last five year.

Oilers management is trying to make the kids so sick of losing that they will stand up and lead this team to wins.It makes perfect sense.Its like when parents caught their kids with a cigarette they would make them smoke the whole pack.

Nicotine is a gateway drug.

Next thing you know, you’ll have them smoking crack.

26. sliderule says:

Ryan:
    breaking news from Jonathan Quick:

source:

Anyway, I think it’s a mistake to brush off the impact of having a bad coach.

It reminds me of Gregor’s paradoxical conclusion.He used to spout about the Oilers have sucked under 3 different coaches, therefore coaching is not the problem.

That’s about as insightful of saying the Oilers have had sucked with 3 different goalies therefore goaltending is not the problem.(Dubnyk, Labarbera, Khabibulin).

If you have a three goalies that suck, it’s still 3 goalies that suck.

This is classic.

You have it right .We can’t change the defence because we are always changing the defence.

We can’t change the team because look were that has got us.

The coaches have to go.

27. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Hmmmmm.

“Maybe it’s just the kids. They have to step up and lead the team to the playoffs. They’ve been there for a long time and it’s their time, you know. They can’t only blame older guys or change their fourth line. They’ve got to start leading the team to the playoffs. Be leaders.”

This seems pretty unambiguous and incriminating and sets it clearly at the feet of the players.

I won’t hang the young guys out to dry. They are still on the learning curve and it will take time but the clock is ticking.

A few things from a disillusioned fan.

Make one of the youth movement your captain. This “sheltering” thing has to stop now. Ference isn’t going to lead this group to the finals and he is periphery to the fight on the ice. So get on with that.

Second, make the hockey trades necessary and let’s not be sentimental about “our picks”. The youth mix is wrong. It needs recalibrating. For me, one of Eberle or Yak or potentially both gets moved for the gun powder that’s desperately needed.

Lastly, and this is one that has chafed for me for awhile….losing is NEVER acceptable. Never. This is the grandest hockey league in the world and there should be an unrelenting will to win – every minute of every shift in every player. Tanking for picks is like diving for penalties. Garbage. Let’s root that out of the culture with a vengeance and bring back the scrape and intolerance Messier and Pronger and Graves and others brought to this team. I honestly think tanking for another high pick has permeated into the mindset once again. That’s shameful.

I think we are close to the upswing and MacT will make the hard decisions, but man its a tough time of year to be an Oilers fan.

They can’t only blame older guys or change their fourth line.

I want to marry this quote.

Stealing from the article Ryan posted above, that’s a money quote. You’ll see it tomorrow in the GDT too. I posted it at Puck Rant along with Scrivens numbers this season (he leads the league in SP and is top 5 in EV SP)

misfit: This team has been practicing since Wednesday because Hemsky hasn’t been there to be the first off the ice.

Ryan:
    breaking news from Jonathan Quick:

source:

Anyway, I think it’s a mistake to brush off the impact of having a bad coach.

If you have a three goalies that suck, it’s still 3 goalies that suck.

2 Dmen start on another NHL team.

Maybe 3, but not on the same team.

32. Marc says:

Posted in the other thread, but re-posted here in case anyone is interested:

Arcobello becomes waiver eligible in 10 more NHL games I think, which I suspect explains how the Oilers have handled him the last month or two.

His last game was against Phoenix on Jan. 24 (they lost) – at that point the Oilers had exactly 10 games left before the trade deadline. They healthy scratched him for the next 3 games (all of which the Oilers won), then assigned him to OKC, where he has remained.

To be eligible for the AHL playoffs, a player has to be on the AHL team’s roster at the NHL trade deadline. So if Arcobello had played in all of the Oilers’ games after his last one he would have had to clear waivers to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, and there would have been a real risk that he’d get claimed.

Now they could have just sat him for a game or two, so he still could be assigned to OKC prior to the trade deadline, but that would just delay the waiver problem. The trade deadline freezes playoff rosters, but a non-playoff team could still claim him when they sent him down again to join OKC for the playoffs.

Also worth noting is that on the 23rd and 24th of January, OKC got blown out by Charlotte on back-to-back games, getting outscored 13-3. This capped a run of 8 games during which they had only 1 regulation win. They were well out of the final playoff spot in their conference, so there was a real question as to whether there would even be an AHL playoff run.

The timing of Arcobello’s healthy scratch strongly suggests they see him as part of the future. If the Oilers had doubts about him, why would they work so hard to keep him from being waiver eligible?

I think they’ve already promised him a new contract and have asked him to help OKC make the playoffs whilst they see what they have with some of the other young players. They gave Arcobello a very generous AHL salary in his two way deal this year, so the financial hit isn’t too bad for him, expecially if he knows he’s got a multi-year 1 way deal coming in the offseason.

33. The Great One says:

Marc:
    Posted in the other thread, but re-posted here in case anyone is interested:

If the Oilers have agreed to a new contract with Arcobello there is nothing preventing them from announcing it.

34. spoiler says:

The problem is, the Oilers won’t become an attractive destination for trades or UFAs or even offer sheets, until they make the playoffs. Until then the bottom half is going to be a dog’s breakfast that can only be improved upon by luck and increment.

People are about the Clarkson offer last year, but that’s what this team has to do to hold the attention of the available players. And the Oil were still probably nothing more than the agent’s bitch in his manipulation of the price for his client’s services. They were never really an option.

But until they can take some good players out of the hands of other teams, they seem to stand little chance of making the playoffs.

It’s not completely without hope. They’ve settled the netminding position. If MacT can find a Perron and a Gordon for the D this summer, and if Klefbom is the goods, and if they can play with more confidence and less fragility, they should be in a fight for the playoffs. Some ifs in there, sure, but they’re not unreasonable bets.

With Nurse and possibly Ekblad coming soon too, they’re going to be debuting a lot of youth in their D corps over the next two years. That doesn’t bode well for the win-loss column either. This is the problem with drafting the Fs first. How does management change that? The only way I can think is they trade one of the #1 overalls to get an elite Dman. Because that’s what it would take.

Management knows the team needs improving. They talk about it all the time. But how much would you want them to pay to make Hemsky change his mind (if he’d take it)? Would any party be happy with a big overpay or long term?

We have the most active GM in the league. He can’t change the complexion of the team overnight, no one can. And the stud Dman they desperately need to guide their young blue line phenoms forward will be nigh on impossible to obtain.

That isn’t to say there aren’t other issues. But the kids need help or it’s going to seem awfully futile working on those other issues.

35. Clay says:

A president of hockey operations that rose to the head of the organization without earning or deserving it, but because of his relationship with the organization.

A GM who was given the position without earning or deserving it, but because of his relationship with the organization.

A coach who was given the job without earning or deserving it, but because he talked a good game with the GM.

And people want to poo-poo the top-six kids for being granted top-six minutes because of their draft position, not because they earned it?

That’s how this team rolls, baby!

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: 2 Dmen start on another NHL team.
    Maybe 3, but not on the same team.

Haha so true.

you might get to 4, but only the Oilers would put all of them on the same damn team!!

37. The Great One says:

Watching the Dallas/Columbus game.

Something tragic has happened on the Stars bench.

No word yet what it is.

38. The Great One says:

Game has been delayed for about 15 minutes and now both teams are going off the ice through the Columbus exit.

Rich Peverely seems to be the player missing from the Dallas bench.

I’m guessing a serious skate cut.

39. flyfish1168 says:

Something that should still be reverberating off the Oiler managements walls.

Quote from Jay Feaster

““I’m sorry — Edmonton finished where last year, caller? Want to wager on where we finish relative to Edmonton this year? I’m tired of this question, I’ll tell you very honestly. I’m getting a little sour. How many teams . . . every year, for the last 10 years, five years, eight years, have finished in the bottom five, bottom seven, bottom 10? They’ve had a pick anywhere from No. 1 to No. 10 year after year after year after year, and they still wander in the desert. And they’re no closer to getting out than they were 10 years ago.”

Time to man up in those office rooms.
    I hate to admit Feaster is correct but he really is.

40. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Apparently you haven’t watched hockey long enough to know just how bad this team is.

2 Dmen start on another NHL team.

Maybe 3, but not on the same team.

Haha.

There’s no question that the Oilers’ current blue line has stained this team with 50 shades of brown. That’s the job of Mactavish–to decide if it’s just them or if Eakins has left a few streaks too.

Donald Winnicott had a concept that he coined, “good-enough mother” which could loosely be adapted to hockey with ‘good-enough coach.’

In this concept, there’s a threshold of adequacy which I personally don’t think Eakins meets, but that’s just my opinion.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Neil Greenberg ‏@ngreenberg 1m
    Great news RT @JoshRimerHockey: Good news is Rich Peverley is up and talking

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Retweeted by Pension Plan Muppets
    Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars 1m
    UPDATE: Rich Peverley has been taken to the hospital an is conscious. The game is still delayed at the moment. That’s all we know for now.

43. The Great One says:

Appears to be related to an earlier condition of irregular heartbeat.

44. The Great One says:

Game postponed.

45. russ99 says:

Scary stuff, hope he’s ok.

Never seen anything like that before.

46. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Retweeted by Pension Plan MuppetsDallas Stars ‏@DallasStars1m

Great news

47. sliderule says:

Ryan,

All you folks seem to have degrees in Psychology so I get confused but I think you are making the logical argument that because you have fired a bunch of bad coaches that shouldn’t recluse you from firing another bad coach..
    Am I right?

48. rich says:

Hope that Peverly will be ok. That’s scary to say the least.

I’m on-board with the fact that the Oilers defense is still a mess. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that after last night’s game. Petry will be fine, Marincin looks like a player too, but both of them are being asked to play above their level. Same w/Ference and Schultz. Playing Klefbom so he gets a taste of the game is fine, but MacT has some huge work ahead of him still this summer with this group.

I thought last year when he came on board his job would be very difficult because Tambellini left him a mess and unfortunately that’s been true. I think MacT’s done a good job to upgrade the goaltending, I like the trade for Perron, but there’s much more to be done.

For the last couple of weeks, I have wondered though if the kids are playing for the coach or if they’ve given up on the season. I’m not ready to say they all have, but you read Hemsky’s quote and it does make you wonder about management, the coaches and the kids.

I don’t have the answer on this, but at some point there is one other thing some of the kids are going to face, and that’s if they don’t step up, they’ll get the rep for being coach killers too.

49. delooper says:

The Hemsky WTF picture, looking at Mac.T from the press conference where Mac.T announced his re-signing would be a lovely addition to this thread.

Rant ON:

MacT screwed up his diagnosis of the team.

Krueger gave leadership of the team to Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle, and they had most teams chasing them around the ice, You don’t have to defend when you have the puck. And they took the team to 24th with a pathetic roster riddled with injuries.

Hall was going supernova. He was 2nd in scoring in the 1st division of hockey behind Jonathan Toews.

What does MacT do. He seizes the leadership back, and gives it to a imported loudmouthed 3rd pairing defensemen. He hires an incompetent coach that spends on his time teaching the OIlers to play in their own zone, and so that is where they play.

They whine about compete level and physicality on the blue and Smid and Fistric are gone. Fistric who is apparently good enough to be a depth D for Anaheim.

Essentially every young player has regressed. Their defense is worse, even though they have this supposed systems genius as coach.

How the effing hell is Hall supposed to speak up with the captainship given to Ference and a new coach without being pointed at for not buying in.

He has been the team guy. He has done every the GM and the coach asked. He’s playing the system, even though it must be killing him since it is destroying his attacking game. He says all the right things in the media.

MacT and Eakins have Nugent-Hopkins sucking. Just how bad a coach are you to make Nugent-Hopkins look bad.

And Ales…you are just 30, where has your effing voice been for the last five years. Why weren’t you the leader?

51. The Great One says:

rich:
    Hope that Peverly will be ok.That’s scary to say the least.

I’m on-board with the fact that the Oilers defense is still a mess.Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that after last night’s game.Petry will be fine, Marincin looks like a player too, but both of them are being asked to play above their level.Same w/Ference and Schultz.Playing Klefbom so he gets a taste of the game is fine, but MacT has some huge work ahead of him still this summer with this group.

I thought last year when he came on board his job would be very difficult because Tambellini left him a mess and unfortunately that’s been true.I think MacT’s done a good job to upgrade the goaltending, I like the trade for Perron, but there’s much more to be done.

For the last couple of weeks, I have wondered though if the kids are playing for the coach or if they’ve given up on the season.I’m not ready to say they all have, but you read Hemsky’s quote and it does make you wonder about management, the coaches and the kids.

The issue has always been the Oilers conducted an ass backwards rebuild.

Successful rebuilds, almost without exception have been from goaltender out and up the middle.

5 years in, the Oilers have found a goaltender who MIGHT be the answer, they have no top poising defensemen on the roster or, likely, in the system and still have dreadful C depth.

Tinkering with the bottom 6 forwards and continuing to add 5-7 D won’t change a thing.

52. The Great One says:

godot10:
    Rant ON:

MacT screwed up his diagnosis of the team.

Krueger gave leadership of the team to Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle, and they had most teams chasing them around the ice,You don’t have to defend when you have the puck.And they took the team to 24th with a pathetic roster riddled with injuries.

Hall was going supernova.He was 2nd in scoring in the 1st division of hockey behind Jonathan Toews.

What does MacT do.He seizes the leadership back, and gives it to a importedloudmouthed 3rd pairing defensemen.He hires an incompetent coach that spends on his time teaching the OIlers to play in their own zone, and so that is where they play.

They whine about compete level and physicality on the blue and Smid and Fistric are gone.Fistric who is apparently good enough to be a depth D for Anaheim.

Essentially every young player has regressed.Their defense is worse, even though they have this supposed systems genius as coach.

He has been the team guy.He has done every the GM and the coach asked.He’s playing the system, even though it must be killing him since it is destroying his attacking game.He says all the right things in the media.

MacT and Eakins have Nugent-Hopkins sucking.Just how bad a coach are you to make Nugent-Hopkins look bad.

And Ales…you are just 30, where has your effing voice been for the last five years.Why weren’t you the leader?

You may find Daryl Sutter’s take on playing defense interesting.

53. The Great One says:

Retweeted by Scott Cullen

DefendingBigD ‏@DefendingBigD 7m
    Doctor tells media upon regaining consciousness Rich Peverley told dr he wanted back in game.

54. rich says:

The Great One,

Can’t say I disagree with your assessment. I do think MacT understood that – but was probably too blunt (for a lot of people) starting with his assessment of DD last summer. A lot of people here went on about how he did DD wrong, but in fact, he was correct in reading that he couldn’t handle the job.

Ference as a bottom pairing d-man is fine. But I think this summer, if MacT really is going to continue the rebuild and focus on the defense, and that one of the kids is heading out. I just hope he chooses correctly.

55. flyfish1168 says:

Hemmer another assist.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky with an assist.

57. The Great One says:

Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars 2m

“First thing Rich asked me when I spoke to him- ‘how much time left in the period’. You know, typical athlete”-Coach Ruff

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky with another assist

2 so far. kid can play.

59. book¡je says:

2 points for Hemsky so far. What was that bet for again D.S.F.?

60. russ99 says:

godot10,

I thought that Ference was a decent choice of captain considering he as a Cup ring and the system he came from, but sadly he ended up the mouthpiece of the coach early on, adding to a room full of dissention.

MacT better get the act together and soon, and that means all aspects: scouting (which seems to be better with the Scrivens and Fasth deals) coaching and getting the players right – which includes listening to the future core as to what went right, what went wrong and act on it.

Glad to see Hemmer excelling once freed from the chains Eakins has thrown on our skill players…

61. VanOil says:

Over the last 5 games has there been a hotter player in Hockey than Hemsky? Seguin had a night. Hemsky is having a week.

62. flyfish1168 says:

Hemmer again. What a steal he is on trade deadline

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: they have no top poising defensemen on the roster or, likely, in the system and still have dreadful C depth.

Tambo?

64. The Great One says:

VanOil:

THAT’s a week.

65. Marcus Oilerius says:

Hemsky is just being enigmatic, he’s scoring now to confuse the Oilers.

66. The Great One says:

book¡je:
    2 points for Hemsky so far.What was that bet for again D.S.F.?

67. The Great One says:

rich:
    The Great One,

Can’t say I disagree with your assessment.I do think MacT understood that – but was probably too blunt (for a lot of people) starting with his assessment of DD last summer.A lot of people here went on about how he did DD wrong, but in fact, he was correct in reading that he couldn’t handle the job.

Ference as a bottom pairing d-man is fine.But I think this summer, if MacT really is going to continue the rebuild and focus on the defense, and that one of the kids is heading out.I just hope he chooses correctly.

Finding 2 top pairing D and an above average big, strong #2C in one offseason is a big shopping list.

And, the way Hopkins is playing, there should be some concern about #1C as well.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky with another assist. 3 now.
    ridiculous debut for the man.
    tied game in OTT

69. VanOil says:

I am resigned to the fact the Governors in Florida will not even discuss the Meeker Rule about blocking shots and none of the reporters there will even ask about it. A simple change that improves both the on ice product and player safety should be top of the agenda.

I am also resigned to the fact that Rogers SN and the NHL will not inform the Leafs that if that games starts at 7pm EST the game starts at 7pm EST they can hold there endless pre-game events before hand. The arrogance of showing these local interest events nationally is only exceeded by the tedium of actually watching them.

70. book¡je says:

3 assists Hemsky tonight

I hate the Oilers

71. kooler says:

How many assists for Hemsky so far in Ottawa……think Ottawa likes the trade now.

72. book¡je says:

The Great One: Woodguy has to call me more knowledgeable about hockey that he is once a week for a year.

… And if Woodguy wins?

73. rich says:

The Great One,

Nuge is a 20 year old kid who’s being asked to play bigger minutes and is adding PK responsibilities to his resume now as well. The only thing I’d be concerned about with him right now is if he’s still playing hard for the coach.

74. The Great One says:

book¡je: … And if Woodguy wins?

Not worth discussing :)

75. sliderule says:

For all you folks wanting to give away the farm for Weber minus three.

That’s on for all three comeback Ottawa goals.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 1m
    Before the deal the last 3+ assist game from Hemsky was in January 2011. Only one 3 point game all season in EDM (Feb 28th). #reborn

77. Rondo says:

Who is that Hemsky guy looks like a good player.

78. flyfish1168 says:

I hope Hemmer scores the O/T goal and brings the roof down

79. book¡je says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman1m

#fuckkevinloweandoileesmanagement

80. The Great One says:

rich:
    The Great One,

Nuge is a 20 year old kid who’s being asked to play bigger minutes and is adding PK responsibilities to his resume now as well.The only thing I’d be concerned about with him right now is if he’s still playing hard for the coach.

He’s not scoring. (0G and 3A in his last 10 games).

It’s a concern.

81. The Great One says:

sliderule:
    For all you folks wanting to give away the farm for Weber minus three.

That’s on for all three comeback Ottawa goals.

Suter was always the gem there.

82. Pouzar says:

So if he played with Sid he would be averaging 5 pts a game?

Wow. Apparently Spezza and Hemsky like one another.

And my Hemsky 83 Home Jersey hangs in the closet.

83. Pouzar says:

LT,

Any idea why Travis Yost was at 90% sure Hemsky was going to re-sign with OTT?

Pretty bold statement considering the $$ he can make on the open market if he keeps this up.

84. Pouzar says:

The Great One: Suter was always the gem there.

BOLD!!!

85. OilClog says:

7pts 3gms

Oilers don’t even have 7 games I believe.

Arg

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 25m
    Listen, I’m mocking EDM. Keep all that nonsense out of my mocking. RT @shaunguidolin: @coreypronman or small sample size

87. russ99 says:

The Great One: Hopkins (who will be 21 in a month) ranks 7th among Oiler forwards in SHTOI/G but is getting huge minutes on the PP.

He’s not scoring. (0G and 3A in his last 10 games).

It’s a concern.

Good to see Hemmer do so well – up to the level all Oiler fans thought he could once freed from Mr. Defense and his “hit someone every shift” nonsense.

88. ashley says:

I have had a lot of patience for this team over the years. I wagered in 2010 that 2014 would be a conservative estimate of when the Oilers would be return to playoff contention. And here we are with miles to go.

So I’ve been mad somewhat. It’s frustrating. After the Hemsky trade last week, I was really angry. The essence of everything that is wrong with this team is in the way this talented player was handled, the way the player felt about the team, and his trade for nothing. Where’s Pocklington to at least ask for a few million dollars for his own personal use?

But now the anger is giving way to something else. Sort of indifference to this perpetual rebuild. This disappointment of a team. It’s a strange feeling for a fan who’s been here for over 30 years. My attention faded away somewhat during the Corson years, but I still checked in on every game. This is different.

I want to believe that I’ll always be there. Surely Fall will renew my passion? But these days it sometimes feels like I’m heading up to the hospital to say goodbye to an old friend.

That all said, we do have a young man who has spent a decade in purgatory, now emerging pure and renewed to show the world what he can do. His time has finally come and that is something to cheer about.

Go Sens.

89. The Great One says:

russ99: Nobody’s scoring with any regularity except Hall, Eberle and Perron, since they have the talent to put the puck in the net even while getting zero space in this bass ackwards offense.

Eberle and Perron aren’t doing much either.

90. cabbiesmacker says:

The Great One: Seguin has 4 goals and 5 assists in his last 4 games and was named NHL 1st star of the week.

THAT’s a week.

doesn’t Hemsky have 9 points in a week now as well?

2 goals in swansong. Then 4 A’s + 3 A’s tonight

It’s like he enjoys being away from the 6 ring circus or something.

91. Jasmine says:

Oilers fans need to stop running coaches out of town. 5 coaches in 6 years is a problem. Rebuilds never work with a new coach every season.

The Edmonton media need to stop running players out of town, Players wouldn’t sign in Edmonton if they were consistent SC contenders. Players have always been run out of town by the Edmonton media. I remember Oilers fans tried running Coffey out of town when he struggled near the beginning of the year.

92. cabbiesmacker says:

ashley:

.After the Hemsky trade last week, I was really angry.The essence of everything that is wrong with this team is in the way this talented player was handled, the way the player felt about the team, and his trade for nothing.

But…but…he brought a 3rd and a 5th in return. That’s pretty awesome no?

Oilers aren’t a hockey team. They’re entertainment. The best kinda big time falling over laughing kind of entertainment.

93. The Great One says:

cabbiesmacker: doesn’t Hemsky have 9 points in a week now as well?

2 goals in swansong. Then 4 A’s + 3 A’s tonight

It’s like he enjoys being away from the 6 ring circus or something.

Glad you dropped by.

What’s your take on Brandon PIrri?

And, yes, Hemsky has 2G and 6A in his last 4 games.

94. The Great One says:

Jasmine:

I thought it was the fans who were running every player out of town.

Or was it Slats?

Hard to keep up.

95. jake70 says:

cabbiesmacker: doesn’t Hemsky have 9 points in a week now as well?

2 goals in swansong. Then 4 A’s + 3 A’s tonight

It’s like he enjoys being away from the 6 ring circus or something.

It’s an eastern conference thing?

96. gvblackhawk says:

The Great One: I thought it was the fans who were running every player out of town.

Or was it Slats?

Hard to keep up.

Don’t make eye contact…

97. The Great One says:

Phil Kessel is one hell of a hockey player.

1G 1A.

Leafs lead the Ducks 3-0.

98. The Great One says:

gvblackhawk: Don’t make eye contact…

Oops.

99. hags9k says:

Since this thread has a lot of different flavours I’ll pile on…

Who can tell me what Kuznetsov’s Calder eligibility is this season/next season given that he has played 100 KHL games over the last 2 seasons? Does that exclude him?

Always thought the Oil should have made him a target.

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hags9k:
    Since this thread has a lot of different flavours I’ll pile on…

Who can tell me what Kuznetsov’s Calder eligibility is this season/next season given that he has played 100 KHL games over the last 2 seasons?Does that exclude him?

Always thought the Oil should have made him a target.

In a trade?

I would have guessed the Cap would want to take a crack at him on their own before trading, but it’s always possible. Prospects do move around. Probably cost a high pick or good prospect though. Not sure if you’d like the send away.

He can’t be a rookie this year because he can’t hit the gps.

next year, if he stays in the NHL and plays more than 25.

101. VanOil says:

As the arguments on the validity of stats are largely over.

We all know the man from Viking runs a kennel and Mr. Eakins runs a pound. Some will get shot.

MacT does not need our advice for months (other than signing Simmer Jr.)

This blog is now music free as Rom has become a Twit and LT is scared off by the iOS cult inflicting there incompatibility on the rest of us.

What is left? Hemsky with the Sens? Semantics? Cooking tips?

I went with cooking tips tonight. Inspired by Bookije’s sous-vide steak recipe I gave it a go. It turned out very well, thank you Bookije. I had wanted to try that technique for a while and was impressed.

It will not replace my default of pan seared tenderloin, finished in the oven for company and the pan de-glazed with red wine, butter, honey and bullion for a reduction when I am showing off. But like New Yorks and Rib Eyes on the BBQ sous-vide cheap cuts will be added to the rotation.

As per Woodguys monograph on steak spice. I am currently using The Pride of Szeged steak rub and enjoying it. I like them all so that is not surprising. My tip here is decant your chunky steak rub into a pepper grinder. It provides much better coverage, awakens the spice and provides wonderful aromatics.

A grinder of steak spice is useful picking up every thing from Ham and Cheese sandwiches, Lentils, saute mushrooms and onions. Even canned baked beans, which with a little BBQ sauce, mustard and Southern Comfort will make you the star of your next Potluck cookout.

As for resting meats, do it. Though I understand DMW’s see steak, cook steak, eat steak desires but it is worth it. I am willing to skip the cook steak part and go straight for the carpaccio and tartar methods. As long as it once had a face I am in for at least attempting to eat it.

102. The Great One says:

VanOil,

Add some sautéed onions to those baked beans….delicious.

Does the The Pride of Szeged steak rub contain smoked paprika?

Just guessing it does.

103. hags9k says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks Rom, just wondering if the KHL is considered a major pro league by the NHL as a player becomes ineligible after playing 6 or more games in two previous seasons…

Yeah I thought they should have taken a swing at him if and when the Caps were uneasy or unsure if he would come over. Not sure that was ever a legit concern for them but I thought there might have been a chance to make a cheap bet on a potential star. I’m sure the points will start going on the board now so the window is likely closed, and as you say the price now will be too steep.

104. VanOil says:

The Great One:
    VanOil,
    Add some sautéed onions to those baked beans….delicious.

Does the The Pride of Szeged steak rub contain smoked paprika?

Just guessing it does.

105. The Great One says:

VanOil: Good point with onions, thanks. Szeged is a bit mysterious but my guess it does contain paprika. I admit it was a seen it good purchase on my part, I liked the name and it was on the counter of my favorite butcher shop.

Just checked it out.

Manufactured in Hungary so paprika is a given.

Going to pick some up tomorrow.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hags9k:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah I thought they should have taken a swing at him if and when the Caps were uneasy or unsure if he would come over.Not sure that was ever a legit concern for them but I thought there might have been a chance to make a cheap bet on a potential star.I’m sure the points will start going on the board now so the window is likely closed, and as you say the price now will be too steep.

I haven’t followed it very closely, but the few articles I’ve read over the years made it sound like he was very dedicated to playing in the NHL when his K contract was done. Playing with 8 has to be a big motivation.

He married young, IIRC he was married in his last WJC already. I don’t know what to make of it, but a lot of people suggested this meant he was reliable and committed.

107. G Money says:

VanOil,

The Great One,

Wait a second, aren’t you left coasters supposed to go big on the tofu and leave the red meat eating to us Albertans?

108. G Money says:

Just checked the boxscore on that Ottawa game. Hemsky with three assists, all in the third.

What do they call that?

A Natural Hatsky? A Natural Hemtrick?

109. VanOil says:

G Money:
    VanOil,

The Great One,

Homesick carnivores, you miss the meat not the weather. I did say you could put steak spice on Lentils for a little Left Coastism. As Oilers fans we all miss Hockey.

110. G Money says:

VanOil,

Good point. When I lived on the Island (starting shortly after the 87 Cup), I ate lots of steak but did start eating some lentils. The milk always tasted fishy though.

Now that I think about it, I fear I may have caused the Oilers’ downfall. I was in LA when Gretzky was traded. The Oilers didn’t win the cup again until I moved back to Edmonton for a short time in 1991.

I left Edmonton for good after the Messier Cup, and it’s been 23 years of wandering in the wilderness since then for the Oilers.

That *can’t* be a coincidence.

Sorry y’all.

I promise to eat more steak as penance.

111. VanOil says:

Canucks continuing to channel the 2007 Oilers 6 goals against in the 3d and lots of time left. After being up 3-0.

112. VanOil says:

G Money:
    VanOil,
    I promise to eat more steak as penance.

I don’t think that will be enough. You better also wash down the Steaks with the odd Pilsner every now and then.

Has a coach ever been fired mid period, like the Camalari trade a few years back, Torts is giving it a shot.

113. Rebilled says:

VanOil,

Here’s hoping the Isles tie the Oilers 7 goals against vs. the Dys in one period.

114. VanOil says:

Rebilled:
    VanOil,

Done!!! I will be smiling for a week, or the next Oilers loss.

115. book¡je says:

VanOil,

Great, glad somebody tried it. I consider this Tuesday night snack steak (or any other night). The total amount of work is about 3 minutes even though it takes about an hour. I always have a $5 steak in the fridge or freezer for this purpose.

I approach ‘guest steaks’ entirely differently. I tend to buy full cut top sirloins about 1.5″ thick. This makes each steak 3-4lbs. Put on a nice rub and then grill them (need a really good and fast sear to keep the juices in as they take a bit of time to cook). The full cut is a great piece of meat, but simply isn’t that common because people like little tiny steaks. However, in my experience, its the tenderest cut there is when cooked right. It’s also impressive in a Fred Flinstone kind of way. I have turned two vegetarians with these.

116. Hammers says:

Look lets just be happy for Hemsky . If ever a player deserved to get out it was Hemsky . Probably Horc as well . Actually watched a fair bit of the Sens game & I never did that before . Chemistry with an Actual Offensive center can sure help a lot . Without piling on I think he means the players more than the management and I have said it a few times this year and that’s McT would get the most for his best player and that’s Hall . Crazy maybe but we would get a top 4 “D” and a decent “C” . They won’t do it but I’m sure McT knows what he needs . His problem is getting what he needs . He won’t do it without 1 of the 5 or this years 1st going out the door .

117. Rebilled says:

VanOil,

John Garett is beside himself. Hopefully Don Taylor gives him a hug.

118. VanOil says:

Rebilled,

Torts looks to be a broken man in his presser.

119. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

If Hemsky doesn’t catch Brown I’m sure Woodguy will be magnanimous enough to concede the loss to whoever that DSF guy was . But smart hockey guys really can finish last when they are too nice in the corners. If Hemsky wins on the straight 2 years I won’t miss the irony when Woodguy is nice enough to concede. Thanks Sens.

DSF says:
    February 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Woodguy: I love the way you try to change it since Brown is off to a good start.
    YOU deferred it until the beginning of next season due to the uncertainty of where each player would be playing.
    It is exactly like you to look at recent results and insist that the bet has actually started.
    Standard.
    LOL.
    I deferred it until “we saw where they landed” after the trade deadline but you were so insistent I thought you would like to get right on it.
    But I’m good with it if you don’t want to count the final 20 games this season in hopes you’ll have a chance.

Me. I’m not so magnanimous. If Hemsky beats Brown over the 2 years, I’m calling Woodguy smarter and humbler.

120. judgedrude says:

I can’t believe you said this LT:

“with the exception of this season Hall has been pushing the river.”

Rom pointed me in the right direction yesterday. Hall is SECOND in the league 5×5 Points/60.

Ahead of Crosby.
    Ahead of Toews.
    Ahead of Zetterberg.
    Ahead of everyone not named Getzlaf.
    All the while, on the second worst team in the league.

I know his corsi is off, but SECOND in the league in scoring. You can’t value Perron’s 64th place in one article without recognizing Hall’s SECOND best at 5×5. He’s also doing it with a 11.4% S%, so he is still getting chances and not shooting out the lights.

Corsi, smorsi. If that is not pushing the river, I don’t know what is.

Soon, he’ll be SECOND to NONE!

121. dangilitis says:

I have a friend who interned a bit for The Hockey News and has studied sports journalism. Problem is he’s a dumbass (follows the Leafs and Flames, so I can’t blame him too much).

Any ways, the two of us had it out on facebook, after I posted something after Hemsky was traded, to the effect of: “get ready media and Oilers fans who have constantly underestimated Hemsky to collectively eat humble pie.” His response was: “accept it, man, Hemsky is a bum. He only got the team the same return as Goc, and will likely fizzle out and bolt back to Czech Republic in two years.” It was at that point I realized he was not meant to be a sports journalist :), but proceeded to rip him a new one while explaining how he would be a welcome addition to any team’s top 6 forwards, including TML in spite of the resurgence of Mason Raymond. I also explained to him that any league or individual that expects David Clarkson to be around at the end of a contract taking him to age 34 but not keeping Hemsky in it past the ripe old age of 32 would be one that that I would not be able to support. I bet him that if Hemsky retires from the NHL before 32, that I would personally buy and wear a Phaneuf Leafs jersey.

6 pts in 2 games later, I have felt pretty damn good that he is getting his ass handed to him on this one (our last bet was that Kipper would not even be nominated once again for a Vezina, which I also won). However, as I continue to root for Hemsky on any new team, I know that any bet I make involving Hemsky or other mismanaged Oilers asset will be lose-lose…

122. AZOIL says:

judgedrude:
    I can’t believe you said this LT:

“with the exception of this season Hall has been pushing the river.”

Rom pointed me in the right direction yesterday.Hall is SECOND in the league 5×5 Points/60.

Ahead of Crosby.
    Ahead of Toews.
    Ahead of Zetterberg.
    Ahead of everyone not named Getzlaf.
    All the while, on the second worst team in the league.

I know his corsi is off, but SECOND in the league in scoring.You can’t value Perron’s 64th place in one article without recognizing Hall’s SECOND best at 5×5. He’s also doing it with a 11.4% S%, so he is still getting chances and not shooting out the lights.

Corsi, smorsi.If that is not pushing the river, I don’t know what is.

Soon, he’ll be SECOND to NONE!

Here, here! To Hall!!!

123. leadfarmer says:

At first I was enjoying watching the Vancouver boat sink, but now its just getting sad.

Oh, who ami I kidding, I’m still enjoying watching the Dynasty fall.

124. nelson88 says:

After the Kassian’s idiotic high stick and absolute bush league mocking of Gagner I posted that karma would take care of things when the Oil beat the Canucks on the last game of the season to deny them a playoff spot. Turns out karma is also not very patient and likes bold moves.

125. PhrankLee says:

If it’s possible to tune out a coach it is possible to tune out an outsider “captain”. I’m disappointed in MacT and DE naming him without having him played a game in the uniform. I am sure the insult was not lost on Taylor, either. If only there were advanced stats for eye rolling and shoulder shrugging. . .

judgedrude:
    I can’t believe you said this LT:

“with the exception of this season Hall has been pushing the river.”

Ahead of Crosby.
    Ahead of Toews.
    Ahead of Zetterberg.
    Ahead of everyone not named Getzlaf.
    All the while, on the second worst team in the league.

Corsi, smorsi.If that is not pushing the river, I don’t know what is.

Soon, he’ll be SECOND to NONE!

Pushing the river is about Corsi. Hall’s been pushing the river against tough opponents since he got here. Not this season. I love his boxcars too, but we can’t just ignore his shot differential.

127. PhrankLee says:

And for the record I want to say that Hemmer deserved a heck of a lot more than Ottawa. We deserved less in return for how we treated him. He was a gem. A true gem.

PhrankLee:

But here we have a post with Hall picture labelled ‘Man Up”

Which is exactly what he did. He bought into the program. He didn’t pout. But when a new GM, and a new coach, and a new imported captain show up, one cannot exactly be vocal without being accused of being disloyal.

New GM, new coach, new imported captain…is the organization telling Hall to shut up and know your place.

129. gcw_rocks says:

I agree Hemsky’s comment was a shot at management. One way to read it is to say, management is not going to fix it do the kids need to do it for themselves because they are the only ones with the talent to do it.

That’s a brutal place to put those kids in.

When it comes to old six rings and his team, fire them all to be safe. As we can see this season, as partial housecleaning has accomplished nothing, and may have made the team worse.

You can point to the team’s record over the last twenty games all you want, but that’s a team riding unsustainable goaltending. You just have to look at Willis’ shots and Fenwick charts on oilers Nation to see that.

Shame on the Oilers for putting the kids in this position, and shame on anyone who uses the Oilers mirage of a streak to defend oilers management.

godot10: But the reality is, even from MacT and Eakins, that Hall has been entirely with the program.

But here we have a post with Hall picture labelled ‘Man Up”

Which is exactly what he did.He bought into the program.He didn’t pout.But when a new GM, and a new coach, and a new imported captain show up, one cannot exactly be vocal without being accused of being disloyal.

And the Oilers management have never indicated they’re thinking that way.

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

judgedrude:
    I can’t believe you said this LT:

“with the exception of this season Hall has been pushing the river.”

Ahead of Crosby.
    Ahead of Toews.
    Ahead of Zetterberg.
    Ahead of everyone not named Getzlaf.
    All the while, on the second worst team in the league.

Corsi, smorsi.If that is not pushing the river, I don’t know what is.

Soon, he’ll be SECOND to NONE!

LT mentioned it above, he means corsi.

but there is more going on with Hall. His IPP (indiv. points %; which just means what % of goals scored for while you are on the ice are you in on) is off the charts, in fact, it’s over 100%.

And, his goal diff % has dropped considerably vs last year.

mc79hockey has gone through this in much more detail.

Lowetide: Oh good grief. There’s no way the Oilers are telling Hall to shut up. They’re trying to win with him as the centerpiece for crying out loud. As for “Man Up” with a photo of Hall, the entire article argues that blaming the kids is a bad idea.

And the Oilers management have never indicated they’re thinking that way.

A picture (with caption) is worth a thousand words.

If the three levels of management and reporting lines above you are changed, and they come in guns ablazing about how they are going to be bold, and that they have the systems to fix everything that everyone around the place has been doing wrong, there pretty much is no room for dissent.

Hall has not flinched from from buying in (as mc79 has dissected in his analysis, and from the verbal of MacT and Eakins). He has manned up. Sucked it up even when the loud-mouthed coach screamed “-4 is -4″, and to paraphrase, I’ll bench his ass if he does that on wing when I move him back.

godot10: A picture (with caption) is worth a thousand words.

134. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I assume anyone reading this blog is able to figure out that the picture, title and body of the post work together.

ooph.

135. rickithebear says:

“I don’t know how to explain it. If somebody knew, they should step up ”

Hemsky this year!