OILERS AT BLUES, G67 13-14

I always liked the St. Louis Blues. Their uniforms were cool and they had a personality (the Blues, along with the Shero Flyers, wanted to kill you) that was personified by the Plager brothers. Billy, the youngest, was more a skill type defender and not tough like his older brothers. Bob was the guy who played before expansion, which in the early days of the era meant he was better (I have no idea if that’s true, it’s just that was the rule. Original 6—better!).

plager1

The Edmonton Oilers have several young defensemen on display at the NHL level now, and they could end up being the group we observe for the rest of the decade. Jeff Petry arrived early, Justin Schultz a year ago, Martin Marincin a few months ago, and Oscar Klefbom this week. The Oilers have Dillon Simpson (more on him in a minute) and Darnell Nurse on the way, and in pro hockey and a tier below these men are fellows like Brandon Davidson, David Musil and Martin Gernat.

That’s a large department of youth.

king quoteI believe there’s a very good chance Ekblad falls to the Oilers. The Sabres have a plethora of young blue and could use an elite-level center (Reinhart). Buffalo could trade down (say with Calgary) to block the Oilers, but those kinds of moves are much talked about but rarely happen. King’s point about Schultz (he mentioned it in another tweet) is that Schultz will get paid because boxcars but the defense is and may continue to be wobbly.

The Oilers love Schultz, this much we know.

The point by King is well made, though. Among Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse and Ekblad (and Simpson) the defensive side of the game contributes a lot to their value. I’d count a few of these men as “two-way” types but Klefbom would certainly be more of a defensive defenseman. If he spends 15 years in the NHL and doesn’t exceed Jason Smith’s peak season boxcars, can anyone be surprised?

simpson9

Dillon Simpson’s college career is coming to an end, I’m anxious to hear he has signed with the Oilers. This guy may have the talent to force himself into the mix sooner than later. It’ll be interesting to see the numbers he signs for, too. Travis Ewanyk signed for $670,000 plus $215,000 in signing bonus money (and $30,000 in performance dollars, $60,000 AHL salary) and is a decent comparable. Ewaynk was taken 18 spots before Simpson, so logic would dictate that (all things being equal) Simpson would be a little shy of those numbers. My guess is he signs a significantly superior contract.

gregor simpson

perron common1

David Perron returns to St. Louis tonight, says he’ll be nervous. The Perron acquisition is one of MacT’s best roster moves this season, despite the price. He’s a fun player to watch, what with his weird angle goals and pissing off the opposition. Fun player, great add. His goal the other night is a perfect example of the things he does well. Drive to the net, stick down. No fear. Hell, strike that. He pursues the opposition into the scoring areas. A wonderful player.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

tomei10

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Lots to chat about,  and the guest list is a moving target. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogosphere icon. We’ll talk GM meetings, and that item Dennis tweeted about the Oiler blue.
  • Neal Livingston, Tend The Farm. OKC Barons in a death struggle for the playoffs, Oil calling up their best. Neal vents, 10:25.
  • Corey Pronman, king of the prospect writers, ESPN and Hockey Prospectus. The 2014 draft is coming into view, we’ll get an update.
  • Aaron Bold, Edmonton Rush. The winning streak is still rolling, we’ll talk to Aaron about this dream season.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

408 Responses to "OILERS AT BLUES, G67 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. RBB says:

Dear Lowetide,

Could you please discuss the development of Gernat in more detail?
    I would love to hear how on-track, or off-track, his development is compared to Marincin and other comparables.

Thanks!

Results-Based Budgeting

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m not ready to abandon Schultz. He just needs to be parked on the 3rd pairing for a whole year. Given cherry PP time. And, given a real stalwart d-partner. I think a 3rd pairing of Ference-Schultz would actually work fine.

But based on this year, it sure looks like MacT and Eakins have both players slotted up the food chain.

3. thejonrmcleod says:

I think you’d want to keep Schultz. Why trade him unless you have to? You don’t know how the D prospects are going to develop. I can see Schultz developing into an elite PP guy.

4. russ99 says:

Kind of funny that the same people pushing to dump Schultz want to trade for Gardiner.

Schultz is way ahead of him numbers-wise in less NHL time on a way worse D-corps.

I’d rather the Oilers bring in 2-3 average to above-average experienced NHL defensemen and make the kids earn it rather than make rash decisions on futures now.

5. Pouzar says:

Sidebar:

@AOsadchenko: Neftekhimik’s GM Rafik Yakubov confirmed Bogdan Yakimov plans on joining the #Oilers next season. #KHL #NHL #Oilers #Yak2

6. su_dhillon says:

Well I think you have to trade 1 of the 3 and I think Dennis picked the right one.
    With Marincin Im not sure you can get value, he’s certainly not as ‘famous’ a name as the others and the resume is tiny but there certainly seems to be a player. I would be open to trading Klefbom because the injuries scare me, maybe he’s healthy for the next 10 years but man hes had a lot of issues.
    With Schultz, hes very famous, every team wanted him out of college and he has put up offensive numbers which always attracts higher return.

Whichever one they move, the template is the MPS – Perron trade. Find a team in need of cap space and wanting to get younger and target a player young enough he can be here 5+ years but also someone who is already established and in or near their prime.

Btw LT you cant have Dennis on your show enough.

7. maddex says:

So what would Schultz perceived value do you all think? Say at the draft, does he get us back in the top 10?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RBB:
    Dear Lowetide,

Could you please discuss the development of Gernat in more detail?

Thanks!

Results-Based Budgeting

9. russ99 says:

maddex,

Wow, really – do we want to keep rebuilding forever?

Klefbom is the one I’d move, considering Nurse is going to be better at both ends of the rink and is more reliable.

Schultz’s skillset is unique among our prospects – we really shouldn’t move him.

10. Pouzar says:

I enjoy Schultz much more 5v5 than I do the PP.

Take that for what its worth.

11. stephen sheps says:

Reposting from the Lander thread my “scouting” report from last night’s Frontenacs/Colts game.

dsr29:
    Watched Ekblad again tonight. Nothing dynamic about him. Fronts season ticket holder(maybe biased) but would take Bennett ahead of him all day.

Me:
    I was also at the Frontenacs game last night and I completely disagree. It should be noted that while I am a Kingston resident, I am hardly a Frontenacs homer. My (insane) devotion to the Oilers is why I braved the storm last night to watch this particular game. Ekblad had a solid and rather high event night, as he was on the ice for 5 of Barrie’s 6 goals in addition to 2 goals against. He made quick decisions with the puck, often knew when to pinch and when to drop back into neutral ice/d-zone, and can definitely skate well for his age. He has a bit of an awkward sort of stance/posture when he’s moving up the ice, but lateral movement and backwards skating is very good. He’s very calm on the ice and has very good awareness, definitely a head-on-a-swivel type defenceman. He’s also rather vocal and directs traffic well, particularly on the breakout. When he wasn’t on the ice, the Colts didn’t move the puck out of their own zone nearly as effectively. However I will say that he doesn’t quite “look like a #1 overall” calibre player. He’s big, a man against boys, but he’s not NHL ready.

There were a few other excellent players on both sides last night. The Frontenacs have a 19 yr. old Finnish Defenceman, Mikko Vainonen (4th rd, Nashville in 2012) who looks like the real deal as well. Not a lot of offence, but really great skating and excellent positioning. 6’2, 210, skates like a much lighter player. The Devils draft-pick Ryan Kujawinski looks like he could be a player too. The real surprise on the Fronts is their rookie LW Lawson Crouse. At 16 he’s already 6’3, 180, plays with a lot of intensity, had a 4 point night last night and seems to be really coming into his own. He’s a player to watch. Since his birthday is june 1997, I think he’s still 2 years away from draft eligibility, but the kid can really play. (Note: I am probably wrong RE: draft eligibility…)

On the Colts Ekblad really stood out as the best player on the team, (probably on both teams, if I’m being honest), but they have a forward Andreas Athanasiou (Detroit 4th round 2012) who looks like another classic Detroit mid-round steal. He’ll need a couple of years in Grand Rapids to get gain some weight/strength (6ft, 165 at 19) but he’s got tremendous skill and vision on the ice, used in all situations and has really good positioning. He seemed to be everywhere for the Colts and also had a 4 point night. 67 points in his draft+1 year, now at 90 in draft +2. They also have an American born forward, Brendan Lemieux, who was all over the ice, and plays a really physical game for his size (6ft, 186). boxcars are GP:63 G25 A26, PIM 143. Right shooting C/RW, draft eligible this season. Not a first rounder by any means, but definitely reminds me of a 2nd round, Tyler Pitlick type player.

12. Showerhead says:

Dennis makes a great point, and if Edmonton’s hand were in any way forced, trading Schultz is a gamble that could make a lot of sense.

However, Edmonton’s hand is forced in absolutely no way whatsoever.

There are no veteran quality D. There are no phenom kids, even if some good ones are on the way. Pay the man and play the man. His numbers will always make him an even shinier asset down the road. This way Edmonton can actually see if Marincin/Klefbom/Ekblad etc are good NHL players before firing Schultz out of a cannon.

13. G Money says:

Pouzar:
    Sidebar:

14. Ducey says:

Why doesn’t the NHL close the loophole that allows drafted NCAA kids to walk on the team that drafted them?

15. Pouzar says:

G Money: So in other words, what you’re saying is that Yakubov confirms Yakimov joining Yakupov?

Yakity Yak City!

16. Chris says:

Considering we have a short stretch of Marancin and only one game of Klefbom I think it would be a bit early to be rolling out “holy molly we have a lot of defensemen” just quite yet. As much as the horrible on ice product of the last few years has lead us to projections into the future we ought to wait for results before contemplating who we deal with them.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    Sidebar:

Great news!

Half of me wanted him to play another year over there and then spend a year in the AHL. but, I gather he might as well up his TOI in the A next year and get acclimated to the NA rink.

18. Showerhead says:

If I know Dennis (and I don’t, but I bet he’d be fun over a pint) he’s not actually pitching the immediate jettison of Justin Schultz. He’s as against rolling out overmatched kids as can be, so I expect he’s just saying Schultz could be a better asset than a hockey player. I still say pay him, play him, and wait until you have better players around before thinking too hard about that route.

19. G Money says:

As with any player, you don’t decide whether to trade him until you know what you’re getting back.

If the Oilers get Ekblad and Klefbom looks as NHL-ready over the next 10 games as Marincin has (making our future top 6 Ekblad, Nurse, Petry, Marincin, Klefbom, Schultz), then Schultz may indeed be a good bargaining chip.

If you could trade Schultz for a big two-way second line centre, wouldn’t you?

I have to think this team: 2C Gagner, D Ekblad, Nurse, Petry, Marincin, Klefbom, Schultz

Is not as good as this team: 2C [big two-way C], D Ekblad, Nurse, Petry, Marincin, Klefbom, experienced capable NHL D (UFA or traded for Gagner)

On the other hand, trading Schultz for magic beans just because you have Ekblad and Klefbom (Ekbom? Klefblad?) would be Tambo stupid.

20. RBB says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I had read Lowetide’s post from November, but it was nice to have a more recent review of Gernat’s play. It seems like, with Marincin, Nurse, and Klefbom grabbing a lot of media attention, we will be able to turn the heat down and let Gernat simmer in the AHL. That ought to do him wonders as he continues to learn the North American Pro game and put on weight.
    With a slew of defensive prospects joining him in OKC, there should also be a competitive environment forcing him to hone an all-round game. It would be great if he could contribute in the next 3 yrs.

21. thejonrmcleod says:

Would the Oilers get rid of the one prized UFA who actually decided to sign with them? I highly doubt it. I’m 99% certain the Oilers will not trade Schultz in the near future.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:

JS will be an RFA this Summer:

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RBB:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

No problem.

He’s one of my favorite prospects. If you want other updates, look through Willis’ posts from OKC on Cult of Hockey and Oilersnation.

I like him out of the spotlight too. He’ll probably need a little longer than klef and Marty to lock down the defensive part of the game.

24. thejonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yes, but I’m sure the Oilers plan on signing him. Hopefully they don’t hand him the $6 million contract.

25. dsr29 says:

I think you kind of agreed with what I was saying. Ekblad is a good player and most teams would love to have him. He comes across more like an effective 2-3 d-man though. Watching Bennett for the past 2 years though I see a much higher upside. His suspension, for cross-checking some one in the face, was the result of a night of being run and hit after the whistle. He stood up for himself, maybe not in the best way, but he has an edge to his game to along with skill. He is a dynamic and smart (though a little undisciplined) player who is leading his team in scoring by 22 points as a 17 year old. I see Bennett as a game changer while Ekblad is a more steady reliable d-man. Personally I’d take the centre over the d-man at the top of this draft class. Limited viewings of Ekblad though so take it as you will.
    stephen sheps,

26. sliderule says:

It has been pointed out by me and others that the oilers are too light and the defence in particular is too light..there was a very good recent post that showed the weights of western teams and even a supposedly skill /possession team like Hawks is much bigger and stronger.

There is no way Justin Schultz will ever be able to defend at a level expected out of a top four unless he is willing to put in the work to build up his body to at least 190- 200 lbs.If he comes to camp at under 190 he will have shown me he isn’t able or won’t put in the effort to reach that goal.I would trade him at that point as he would max out as a pp specialist.

You have to think Rnh is in the same camp as he looks like the season has worn him down to the point of being skinny as a racetrack rail.He is not the only forward as Ebs gets pushed off the puck like he is a feather.These boys have to find trainers that can put some muscle on them if the oilers are going to improve internally.

27. Pouzar says:

LT,

I’m the best thing to come out of NL!!!!!!!!

Stuck in da Peg

28. Hammers says:

Schultz still shows the most from an offensive “D” but he also shows the least from a defensive “D” . A little scary at times . As for Simpson they have to sign him & give him a year in the AHL .I may be mistaken but I read some who follow the NCAA feel Simpson is better than Schultz . More like Dekyzer in Detroit , considered an all around “D” .I agree with Jon and also hope there is no $6 mill idea but more like $ 3.5 to 4 mill . Same for Petry .

29. Pouzar says:

sliderule:

This is simply FALSE.

As of 2 weeks ago RNH was up 9 lbs ( according to Stauffer) during the season and he gave all the credit to the training staff for how they are working with him to achieve this.

Travis Yost published every team’s score adjusted Fenwick this morning.

Use this as a guide to who to bet on in the playoffs.

Oh, hey, look!

The Oilers are 30th.

I know what will fix that!

Sign more players who aren’t actual NHLers!

*fart sounds*

Ducey:

Its is closed now in the new CBA, but only applies to players drafted under the new CBA so Simpson could go FA is he wanted to.

32. The Great One says:

sliderule:

There is no way Justin Schultz will ever be able to defend at a level expected out of a top four unless he is willing to put in the work to build up his body to at least 190- 200 lbs.If he comes to camp at under 190 he will have shown me he isn’t able or won’t put in the effort to reach that goal.I wouldtrade him at that point as he would max out as a pp specialist.

Worth noting:

Justin Schutz 5V4 – 0G 8A 8P

Ranked 50th among NHL defensmen in PP points.

33. Pouzar says:

Oh F6ck….Lander is OUT….JEZZUZ

34. sliderule says:

Pouzar,

If that’s the case I am concerned as he is pushed off the puck as easy as Eberle.

Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins 17m
    Same skaters expected. Scrivens in the pipes.

*more fart sounds*

I really want to see Lander get a chance.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t think it will be that high.

here’s what Willis put together at the beginning of the year:

not sure if JS’ value has grown or shrunk over the year based on the Oilers’ perception of things.

37. Showerhead says:

sliderule:

Hall – Very good at keeping the puck, pretty good at winning the puck in the offensive zone, pretty average at backchecking.
    Eberle – Very good at keeping the puck, worse than average at winning the puck in the offensive zone, kind of mediocre at backchecking
    RNH – Average at keeping the puck, average at winning the puck in the offensive zone, good at backchecking.

This is subjective as hell and your mileage may vary, but I think it’s important to consider “ability to re-gain possession in the offensive zone” a weakness of the 2014 Edmonton Oilers. If only they had a Perron for every line.

sliderule:

To my eye he is heads and tails above Eberle in the puck battle department.

Not close.

Shultz bothers me on this point too.

When he hears foot steps he *still* pushes a weak backhand up the boards (usually to a waiting opposition forward) instead of eathing the puck and waiting for help.

Surely they have to be teaching him when to eat the puck and when not to?

He’s been doing this since day one and it hasn’t improved.

If I watch the game I’ll be watching him closely for this.

39. Pouzar says:

sliderule:
    Pouzar,

Keep in mind he is 20 yrs old and was drafted at 170 lbs. He’s gaining weight at a young age during the season no less. He will play at around 200 lbs when all said is done imo which is plenty big.

I don’t get the “Eberle gets pushed off the puck” narrative. What I see when either of Nuge or Eberle has the puck is they are able to possess it for substantial amounts of time and they always do something intelligent with it especially in the Offensive zone.

40. Pouzar says:

Showerhead: Good teams protect the puck when they have it and work like hell to get it back when they don’t. Here’s a fun mental exercise:

Sounds about right to me

Hall is good.

Eberle is awful

Perron is decent.

Yak is awful.

Hemsky was the best.

42. sliderule says:

Repots on Rnh weight are kind of like new golf drivers giving you another 25 yds.If that was all true I would be hitting the ball over 300 yards.

Just before the draft I heard he had put on 8 lbs..Every year before camp he has put on more weight.?

By now he should be well over 200 lbs if all the reports were factual.

Hemsky would routinely take a hit to make a play on the puck to get it out of the zone (often on the tape of an Oiler) 4-5 times a game.

I’m not sure Yak or Eberle have done it 5 times in their careers.

Eberle is the master of fishing with his stick and turning away from the hit.

Doesn’t have Hemsky’s gritty, jammy toughness on the wall at all.

44. Pouzar says:

sliderule:

Just before the draft I heardhe had put on 8 lbs..Every year before camp he has put on more weight.?

By now he should be well over 200 lbs if all the reports were factual.

Don’t be silly. He is working with trainers as we speak and has put on weight as reported by someone who travels with the team.

45. Showerhead says:

Woodguy:

I’m not sure Yak or Eberle have done it 5 times in their careers.

Eberle is the master of fishing with his stick and turning away from the hit.

Doesn’t have Hemsky’s gritty, jammy toughness on the wall at all.

46. Jordan says:

Showerhead: Yeah absolutely. This was one of the many reasons you could trust 83 to play power vs power (once upon a time) and handle an increase in d-zone starts as time went on. Ottawa got themselves a pretty good player, they did.

Hemsky’s a good hockey player?

…huh…

I couldn’t see it past his poor practice habits and his bad body language.

47. fifthcartel says:

sliderule,

Last time Stauffer mentioned it he said he gained about 6-9 pounds throughout the season and is around 186-190 now.

I wonder with another summer of training what he’ll come in at.

48. Showerhead says:

Jordan: Hemsky’s a good hockey player?

…huh…

I couldn’t see it past his poor practice habits and his bad body language.

49. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Travis Yost published every team’s score adjusted Fenwick this morning.

Use this as a guide to who to bet on in the playoffs.

Oh, hey, look!

The Oilers are 30th.

I know what will fix that!

Sign more players who aren’t actual NHLers!

*fart sounds*

Interesting to see that 6 of the bottom teams on that list (7 if you include WASH) are playoff teams.

And the Oilers are 9-11-4 since Jan1.

Maybe adjusted Fenwick isn’t that useful ?

50. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: I don’t get the “Eberle gets pushed off the puck” narrative.

Not only do I not get it, it simply isn’t the case. He’s neither a feather or an anvil. He’s getting grittier, but he’s not going to gain 20 pounds and start muscling heavier people off of the puck. He’ll have to use his stick sneakily. He picked Parise’s pocket the other night on the back-check. He’s getting better.

Woodguy: One area that Hall is much, much better than the others is winning the board battle in the dzone to advance the puck.
    Hall is good.
    Eberle is awful

I don’t agree with this. Hall is not good in the d-zone near the blue line, although to my eye he’s getting better. (I’m assuming you mean, basically, getting the puck out.) I agree that Eberle is worse at this. We won’t even go so low as to discuss Gagner.

Is anyone still recording the zone-exits? It seems like a pain…

51. Ducey says:

Woodguy: To my eye he is heads and tails above Eberle in the puck battle department.

Not close.

Shultz bothers me on this point too.

Surely they have to be teaching him when to eat the puck and when not to?

He’s been doing this since day one and it hasn’t improved.

If I watch the game I’ll be watching him closely for this.

If he starts eating the puck he will be up over 200 lbs in no time.

52. book¡je says:

Woodguy:

I’m not sure Yak or Eberle have done it 5 times in their careers.

Eberle is the master of fishing with his stick and turning away from the hit.

Doesn’t have Hemsky’s gritty, jammy toughness on the wall at all.

Woodguy is right! Yakupov and Eberle are butter soft overpaid bums. Let’s all join Woodguy and drive these lazy bastards out of town. What we need are more guys like Hemsky! I’m calling Jones now, we need him to get on this – stat.

53. Pouzar says:

book¡je,

We all have our biases so I will keep going with mine. I have seen plenty of great zone exit passes from Eberle so I don’t know what some here are watching. ANd guess what, I’ve seen him back check too at times OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!

Not preaching at you B fyi :)

54. Jordan says:

Showerhead: His eyes barely even glow, but I heard that’s just a genetic thing. You have to be born in or raised in or bitten by a bear in Canada.

That’s bull-crap. If that were the case, all Ukrainians would have the highest EyeGlow/60 of anyone on the planet – they get bitten by (or completely devoured by bears, black eagles, Bison, White Storks at least once every 50-100 years. If EyeGlow/60 is connected with being bitten by bears or any other animal, Ukranians would be off the chart right now – they’re about to have their foot torn off by a bear!

…Of course, it’s not a Canadian bear…

55. justDOit says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “I haven’t checked back in with him. He made it through (the morning skate) so I’m hopeful.” – Eakins on Gagner (ankle) playing tonight

We’re hopeful too, Dallas.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Where does the “eye glow” quote come from?

57. teddyturnbuckle says:

The thing that is most disappointing about this season is the regression of the kids. Their numbers are very underwhelming this season.

58. russ99 says:

Woodguy:

I’m not sure Yak or Eberle have done it 5 times in their careers.

Eberle is the master of fishing with his stick and turning away from the hit.

Doesn’t have Hemsky’s gritty, jammy toughness on the wall at all.

That led him to be so frequently injured.

Not saying they shouldn’t take hits, but they should be smart about it.

This myth that every hockey player needs to be (outwardly) tough as nails needs to die, all hockey players are plenty tough just to play the game at that level…

59. B S says:

Woodguy:

I’m not sure Yak or Eberle have done it 5 times in their careers.

Eberle is the master of fishing with his stick and turning away from the hit.

Doesn’t have Hemsky’s gritty, jammy toughness on the wall at all.

Also doesn’t have his constant injuries. News flash, good stick-work negates some of the need to fight for the puck. This counts in both the offensive and defensive zones. Sometimes you can get the same job done without having to let some meathead hack away on your ankles or run your head into the boards. The main reason the Oil are losing puck battles is because Perron has to fight through 3 guys just to get the puck to Hall, no-one is helping him out.

Schultz might be the best example of this. At least two or three times in each of the last few games he has made a brilliant defensive play using his stick to take the puck away, without losing position on the passing lanes. Remember when we used to commend Petry for this, but now we want to lambast Schultz for not doing the physical things like hit and engage in the corners.

Alright stats guys. We all love Petry right, because he’s our best D-man right? I decided to look it up, without paying attention to Corsi (I think it’s absolutely useless for D-men). Jschultz is playing tougher QoC, more TOI, and has similar GA on/60 and GF on/60 to Petry. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe LT once said we need more Petrys not fewer. Well we seem to have one more. Oh and, for WG, PDO is 1.001 for Schultz, 0.981 for Petry. Likely counts for the differences in GA and GF on/60 (with a slight edge to Petry).

I’m not say Schultz is all world, or that he’s winning all the puck battles down low, but defensively he’s doing as good a job as Petry and I don’t think we would be trying to trade Petry at the moment. My real point is if he’s as good a player as Petry right now, with definitely more offensive upside, what happens when he starts adding some weight and winning the tougher, more physical puck battles along the boards? Trading this guy would be a serious mistake (short of a package for an upgrade, but Gardiner isn’t it).

Note: I’ve avoided Marincin in this conversation, the kid is playing like he doesn’t know he’s an Oilers D. Please god don’t let him look at the logo on his jersey.

Edit: here’s the link: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=11&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f5=EDM&c=0+1+3+5+2+4+6+7+10+8+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#

60. russ99 says:

G Money:

If you could trade Schultz for a big two-way second line centre, wouldn’t you?

Nope.

Elite puck movers are a rare thing, and yes Schultz isn’t there yet but has the skill to do so.

Second line centers are available every single FA signing period.

61. Oilanderp says:

Jordan,

62. spoiler says:

stephen sheps: Sadly, the other big prospect, Sam Bennett, was not in the lineup last night, as he’s in the middle of a five game suspension for a high sticking incident.

Very nice review, thanks!

Bennett really pissed me off with that crosscheck that got him suspended as I had last Friday’s game PVRed in the hopes of being able to analyze his game. I got to see Dal Colle again, but was really hoping for a good look at Bennett.

For those asking about Dal Colle’s position earlier this year, in the game on Friday he predominantly played Centre, but was on the wing for 1st unit PP. That contrasts with my first viewing, when he played wing for the entire game.

63. Ryan says:

thejonrmcleod:

I think the idea with trading Schultz is that he’s going to be expensive to keep because he creates offense, but right now (overall) he’s not a very good defenseman. Also, the Oilers will have too many slots of the d roster filled with dmen with limited NHL experience.

64. justDOit says:

Oilanderp,

Do they glow at night too?

65. spoiler says:

Oilanderp: The Eyeglow/60 of Ukranian draftees is off the charts! It’s a veritable eyeglow factory! For some reason there was a huge upswing there in this category starting in 1986, focused mainly in the areas north of Kyiv. Not sure why, maybe there is some advanced stat which could shed light on this.

I’d have to give Nikita “The Krusher” Khrushchev a 100 on the eyeglow chart.

Pretty good consonants per inch count too… although maybe Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski has him beat.

66. stephen sheps says:

spoiler,

Glad I could help. I’ve lived in Kingston for 5 years now but I rarely go to Frontenacs games. Something about being a sucker for lost causes makes me stay up late to watch the Oilers lose from the comforts of home, rather than actually going out to see the prospects that the Oilers’ losing all but guarantees they’ll draft… I’ll try to make it to a playoff game to get a scouting report on Bennett to see what he’s like in a meaningful situation.

67. stephen sheps says:

dsr29,

your initial comment made it seem like you “saw him bad” as it were… Indeed I think we agree that he looks good, but not all world good. Then again, Shea Weber wasn’t “Shea Weber” at 17 either. He looks like he has all the tools to be a great d-man, but who knows how long it will take until he figures out how to use them.

Regarding the Schultz discussion above, I think the same tools-related argument applies. It’s becoming rather evident that Schultz is starting to get it. The stats B.S. quoted above indicates progress, and by eye I think we have all ‘seen him better’ as of late. Why even think about moving on from someone who is quite a bit closer to being great because the team might acquire someone who might be great someday. Hasn’t that mentality hurt the Oilers enough over the last decade or so?! The potential drafting of Ekblad does not prevent the organization from keeping Schultz; perhaps it actually allows him time to develop past that magical 200 game line in the sand.

68. Kitchener says:

Pouzar,

y2k

69. G Money says:

russ99: Second line centers are available every single FA signing period.

This is repeated so often it has maybe become gospel, yet I see the reality of it as quite different.

Here for example is the list of FA centres available this year. I have filtered this list to remove anyone scoring below 0.4 ppg (since at that rate you are a 3C or 4C, NOT a viable 2C who has to bring at least some scoring to the table).

(Name, Pos, Age, Team, GP, G, A, Pts, +-, TOI/GM, PPG)

Stastny, Paul » C 28 COL 58 20 27 47 10 18 0.810344828
    Legwand, David » C 33 DET 66 11 33 44 -9 17.18 0.666666667
    Jokinen, Olli » C 35 WPG 67 15 21 36 -11 16.85 0.537313433
    Roy, Derek » C 30 STL 63 9 27 36 2 13.71 0.571428571
    Grabovski, M. » C 30 WAS 50 12 21 33 4 15.77 0.66
    Santorelli, Mike » C 28 VAN 49 10 18 28 9 18.56 0.571428571
    Koivu, Saku » C 39 ANA 51 9 16 25 4 15.41 0.490196078
    Winchester, Jesse » C 30 FLA 42 9 8 17 -1 12.66 0.404761905
    Bolland, Dave » C 27 TOR 15 6 4 10 4 16.25 0.666666667

Which of this group is a big legitimate two-way 2C that can work in tandem with our two small wingers? Which of them will sign on with Edmonton at a price that won’t break the bank?

My answer to that is that all the ones that are on the first list (big legit 2C) have no representation on the second list (will sign in Edm at a reasonable price).

So no, I don’t think it is at all easy to sign a good 2C through free agency. It may not even be possible.

I also believe it is easier to make this combination of moves:
    - Sign Ekblad as (future/hopeful) top pairing D
    - Trade Schultz for a 2C
    - Trade Gagner for a 4D

then it is to make this combination of moves:
    - Sign Bennett, Draisaitl, etc. as (future/hopeful) 2C
    - Trade Gagner for a top pairing D

Gagner just doesn’t have the needed value, and may never.

70. G Money says:

B S: At least two or three times in each of the last few games he has made a brilliant defensive play using his stick to take the puck away, without losing position on the passing lanes.

In any case, I do believe there is substantial upside on both the O and the D for Schultz, so I would not consider trading him unless a very valuable piece was coming back.

71. FastOil says:

If Schulz played in LA we’d be mad they have 2 high end offensive D, no fair. I think he’s too skinny and needs to realize he isn’t Karlsson and can’t do it on talent alone. He is going to have to fill out his frame to reach his potential and be as strong as the men he plays, not many teenagers in his hockey world anymore. Not that he has to be Weber sized.

He is a high event type player on a currently piss poor team. He looks worse for it. He is also a unique player in that position on the Oilers so to me it makes no sense to trade him. One of Marincin, Klef or the defensive D they have in abundance seems smarter.

Edit: On a normal team he would get some shelter. On the Oilers it’s to the wolves, again.

Edit: There are boatloads of NHL’ers in Kelowna in the summer. He needs to stop hanging out with the guys who golf and hang with the guys who work out, who are probably the good players as well.

72. Showerhead says:

Jordan: That’s bull-crap.If that were the case, all Ukrainians would have the highest EyeGlow/60 of anyone on the planet – they get bitten by (or completely devoured by bears, black eagles, Bison, White Storks at least once every 50-100 years.If EyeGlow/60 is connected with being bitten by bears or any other animal, Ukranians would be off the chart right now – they’re about to have their foot torn off by a bear!

…Of course, it’s not a Canadian bear…

73. Ryan says:

stephen sheps:
    dsr29,

Regarding the Schultz discussion above, I think the same tools-related argument applies. It’s becoming rather evident that Schultz is starting to get it. The stats B.S. quoted above indicates progress, and by eye I think we have all ‘seen him better’ as of late.Why even think about moving on from someone who is quite a bit closer to being great because the team might acquire someone who might be great someday. Hasn’t that mentality hurt the Oilers enough over the last decade or so?! The potential drafting of Ekblad does not prevent the organization from keeping Schultz; perhaps it actually allows him time to develop past that magical 200 game line in the sand.

That’s not what I meant. :)

I’d consider moving JSchultz for a more complete defender with a few more NHL miles on the odometer.

It would have nothing to do with giving up on JSchultz or getting rid of him, but if a deal came along to acquire a more experienced and complete defender, you’d have to consider moving him.

The problem with offensemen like JSchultz is they tend to cost a lot of money in terms of cap space. He’s not exactly Erik Karlsson in terms of the offense he creates either and defensively he’s a liability

So you end up paying $4.5 to $5 m to have a guy like JSchultz on the roster and you’re certainly not getting a good return based on his current level of play.

Anyway, he’s an RFA next year. If you think he’s signing for under $4m, you’re probably dreaming.

74. Pouzar says:

Buffalo Blogger from puckrant:

“Is Edmonton still shopping Yakupov? Hey Edmonton fans, i’ll give you Grigorenko and the Islanders 2015 first for that Yakupov kid that you seem to hate.”

Whatcha y’all think?

I say no thx we got Yak 2.0 on the way!

75. stephen sheps says:

Ryan,

I wasn’t criticizing you specifically. Just with the general discussion RE: Schultz that LT and Dennis started that was the subject of several posts today combined with seeing Ekblad play last night, I felt like trying to add to the conversation. Sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you!

You’re probably right about the cap hit, but re-signing him for 3 yrs or so under 4Mil per would be amazing. It’s not likely, but it’s also not likely that he’s going to be able to get the 5.5mil that other offensive d-men might get on the open market either. The best case scenario is that he’s cool with a bridge contract that leaves him with 1RFA year remaining before the big money, long term deal. I don’t see it happening, but a man can dream, right?

76. spoiler says:

G Money: That said, I think Schultz has actually shown a ton of improvement over the latter half of this season, and that’s to be expected given that he is 150 games into his pro career. 200 games is always my benchmark for defensemen to mature the defensive side of their game.

Although he didn’t leave the line-up till Oct 29, it sounded from his verbal like he had been playing with groin problems since about the start of the season. Groin injuries tend to be of the nagging type, so I expect it bothered him for a few weeks after he came back. His game is skating so the groin is an especially tough injury. Can really make you look bad when you have to change direction fast, like on a blown pinch. He has looked much better thus far in the new year than he did pre-Christmas.

That’s the problem with armchair GMs trading away players… we rarely know the whole story.

77. hoser313 says:

G Money:

That said, I think Schultz has actually shown a ton of improvement over the latter half of this season, and that’s to be expected given that he is 150 games into his pro career.200 games is always my benchmark for defensemen to mature the defensive side of their game.

I agree mainly with this. Need to avoid (for Petry and Jultz both) sending away another Tom Gilbert for giveaways and poor plays he made 2 or 3 years earlier when his game had largely come around by the time he was traded. For some reason, Oiler fans have difficulty recognizing improvement in their home-grown defencemen.

78. B S says:

G Money: In fairness, I think Schultz also makes glaring giveaways, soft plays to turn over the puck, bad pinches, or fails to cover his man a lot too – moreso than Petry.

I agree that he makes glaring giveaways more often than Petry by eye, but I think it’s been lost in the discussion of Schultz that that he probably prevents some prime scoring chances that Petry lacks the finesse to hold up, or the additional goals would shown up in the stats (if Petry had the same on-ice save% as Schultz he’d have one less goal than Schultz 5v5 this season, not much of a difference). Look back on the games and watch the 2 on 1s he breaks up, just by being that fast on the back check, and having good position and stick placement. The stats suggest that he’s not giving up any more goals than Petry, so if he can cut back on the turnovers he should be a much better Dman in the near future.

79. slopitch says:

I wouldnt trade the Jultz either. The Oilers D is chaos and he may be part of the problem but also could be part of the solution going forward. Surround him with better talent would be my MO. Get a dman with a cannon to play on the PP would be a start. Or maybe Yak can grow into that guy.

80. Ryan says:

Okay, fine. :)

So how much are you willing to pay him this summer?

81. slopitch says:

Side note: Its kinda bs that Rasmus Ristolainen gets to play in the AHL but Nurse cant. He’s doing quite well and gaining valuable experience playing against men yet Nurse isn’t allowed till fall 2015.

82. G Money says:

Ryan: Okay, fine.

So how much are you willing to pay him this summer?

Good question. Schultz is 47th in the league in scoring right now, which is basically the same as Voynov. Both are similar in age, but Voynov is a better defender. Though that may be artificial, as playing with Doughty would hide a lot of cracks.

Voynov is signed at a cap hit of $4.1M. I think that’s your ceiling, and it’s probably right around there that the Oilers will settle in with both Petry and Schultz.

That said, every team needs bargain contracts, whether because of EL or just unexpected overperformance. E.g. ARCO!

So I’d rather get Schultz for less and let him bloom into a bargain contract, but I doubt it’s going to work that way.

Ducey:

Ducey,

Maybe adjusted Fenwick isn’t that useful ?

Au contraire mon frere

Here’s a cool graphic of every team in the last 7 years who went to the playoffs and what their fenwick was.

Please notice that all Stanley Cup winners had a Fenwick greater than .500 (except for PIT in 2009 and their Fen picked up when Therrien was fired and Blysma was hired).

In fact most of the Cup Champs had a Fen over .550

Its pretty clear.

To be an elite team and true Cup contender, you need to be an elite Fen team.

Here is the article it came from.

Very cool: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/4/4/4178716/why-possession-matters-a-visual-guide-to-fenwick

85. Jordan says:

Showerhead: If bear drink double double, player eyes GLOW. If bear drink vodka, player become enigma. Science.

LOL. Of course – the secret is TIm Hortons instead of Smirnov. It’s so obvious.

That’s why Ales is a good hockey player now, instead of an Enigma – Bryan Murray bit him.

Ducey: If he starts eating the puck he will be up over 200 lbs in no time.

No carbs in the puck, just lean protein.

book¡je: Woodguy is right!Yakupov and Eberle are butter soft overpaid bums.Let’s all join Woodguy and drive these lazy bastards out of town.What we need are more guys like Hemsky!I’m calling Jones now, we need him to get on this – stat.

I’m not driving anyone out of town.

I hope Eberle starts playing like a man, and not a boy who cheats for offense.

I *know* Yak will get there, but he needs to be taught and have others lead by example.

russ99: That led him to be so frequently injured.

Not saying they shouldn’t take hits, but they should be smart about it.

There’s some truth to that.

Hemsky could have picked some of his spots better.

The young men on RW need to start picking a spot, any spot, to get gritty/crusty/jammy on the puck on the dzone boards

89. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: I hope Eberle starts playing like a man, and not a boy who cheats for offense.

It’s all about habit. His habits, and those of the other young guys, are changing. That’s due to, and also why you don’t fire, the coach who’s breaking them of this. I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for them, they’re all probably used to being the guy who flies the zone and gets the offense going.

90. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I’m not driving anyone out of town.

I hope Eberle starts playing like a man, and not a boy who cheats for offense.

The HFOil Narrative to a T.
    Let’s see if Yak scores 76 points in his 21 yr old season…maybe….if he cheats enough.

But that’s all I’ll say on the subject cause I respect 98% of the other stuff you post on here not that my approval amounts to a hill of beans.

Cheers.

91. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99: Nope.

Second line centers are available every single FA signing period.

I agree that elite puck movers are difficult to draft or acquire, but I think you’re underrating the difficulty of getting a good 2C as well – and by good, I mean an outscorer that pushes the river.

After Paul Stasny in the current UFA crop, you’re looking at a lot of mediocrity like Jokinen, Roy, Goc and Legwand. Yeah you can always find a body, but if you’re looking for an outscoring fit (and top tier contenders always seem to have that in the 2C role), you’re in tough against 20+ other teams looking for the same thing in free agency.

That’s what sucks about this rebuild. Every draft, the Oilers have gone into it with fairly well defined needs and almost every time, the bpa that falls to them that they seemingly have to take, doesn’t meet the positional/organizational need.

An argument could always be made that this team needs another stud defenseman (but with Klefbom, Marincin, Nurse, Simpson, Schultz, Gernat) in the pipeline, my feeling is they should sign an FA D or two to get them through the development years while the D ripens on the vine. The huge need that should be addressed with this draft is a dominant C with size. Unfortunately, we’ve got a draft shaping up with a bunch of smallish Cs and one with size that doesn’t have an appetite for the rough stuff.

Hindsight’s always 20/20 but I do like the roster better if the Oilers had been drafting for greatest positional need in the 1st as follows:

2009 – D Calvin de Haan
    2010 – C Tyler Seguin
    2011 – W Gabriel Landeskog
    2012 – W Nail Yakupov

The argument for BPA has always been, if you don’t have a positional need, the bpa can always be traded for the greatest return to address roster gaps elsewhere. So, how’s that working out for the Oil exactly?

D lagging being Fs in development & contractually
    Highly skilled Top 6 with significant size deficiencies
    Gaping holes at 2C, 1D, 2D and until recently, 1G, 2G

Wow, did I ever digress with that post lol

92. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, I think the title of ‘Magnificent Bastard’ could potentially apply to Col’s Scouting Director as well.

Duchene, O’Reilly & Tyson Barrie from the same 2009 draft. Guy was killing it.

93. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Call it a hunch.

I honestly don’t think Yakupov is back next season…….My take on that would be a poor move by the Oilers.

Yakupov has shown the willingness to battle at times and in a few instances join in or start a scrum, I believe Yakupov’s ceiling to be higher then Eberle or Gagner.

Having said that, does anyone believe a defense made up of

Simpson
    Ference
    Klefbom
    Nurse
    Schultz
    Fraser
    Ekblad

Has a reasonable chance of competing? I see two of these players gone, not sure who? But you can bet Ference hangs around, highly doubt they trade Nurse or Ekblad should he fall to the Oil.

Roster needs to be over hauled top to bottom, exception being goaltending.

The Oilers don’t have enough NHL players, and people are nit-picking Eberle, and trading Schultz.

95. Bag of Pucks says:

RE: Eberle avoiding contact.

Remember in his draft interview, when Hall described the soft chip past the D on the wall to avoid the hit as a ‘cheap play?’

Eberle makes that chip ALL the time. Always wonder what his buddy Hallsy thinks of that?

Btw, it is a ‘courage’ thing. Glenn Anderson was not much bigger than Jordan Eberle, but Andy took the puck to the net HARD. Some players have it in them. Some don’t.

Speaking of which, we get to watch Magnus PRV tonight ; )

96. Ryan says:

Bag of Pucks:

Duchene, O’Reilly & Tyson Barrie from the same 2009 draft. Guy was killing it.

I mean this is a player who’s completely lost defensively in his own zone and if he had spent time percolating in the AHL for more seaoning, perhaps he’d be a better 2-way hockey player. Oh what a grave injustice.

;)

97. stevezie says:

Pouzar:
    Buffalo Blogger from puckrant:

Whatcha y’all think?

I say no thx we got Yak 2.0 on the way!

Done. Though if the Isles finish fifth (or higher?) I will probably regret it.

I have no problem trading Yak. I would have traded the pick. This assumes, of course, we’re getting value, which I don’t think we will.

I believe in Yak, I just think he’s pretty far removed from untouchable.

98. Bag of Pucks says:

theres oil in virginia: It’s all about habit.His habits, and those of the other young guys, are changing.That’s due to, and also why you don’t fire, the coach who’s breaking them of this.I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for them, they’re all probably used to being the guy who flies the zone and gets the offense going.

I don’t think this is a ‘habit’ you’re going to break with Eberle. He shys away from direct contact cos he’s a small F. There’s a reason he slipped to 22 in the draft and that’s it.

That said, I don’t think he’s part of the problem. Eberle works as a nice complimentary player on a 2nd line eating soft mins. Yakupov needs to blow by him on the depth chart. If he can, that’s a nice 1/2 punch down the right side.

B S,

A good stick is always valuable in winning puck battle.

Fishing is not a good stick though.

Watch Eberle on the defensive wall closely tonight to see what I mean.

Also,

Shultz has a great stick.

My issue with him is that he gives up possession weakly with hail mary back handers up the wall rather than eat the puck and wait for help.

Watch for that tonight too.,

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Where does the “eye glow” quote come from?

Eye glow goes back to OTC and v1.0 days.

101. Ryan says:

Ryan,

anyway, back to work, but that was in reference to all of the previous rants about Gagner being a terrible 2-way centre because he didn’t spend time in the AHL.

102. stevezie says:

godot10: Even if the Oilers draft Ekblad, he is headed back to junior next year. Schultz will probably get one of them transitional contracts, and the big decision on him will come in two years.

Yep. It would be silly to play Ekblad in the bigs. I’d probably keep Nurse down too. Klef and Marincin are already pushing, do we really need to break in three rookie D next year? (I’m glad Marincin is succeeding, but he’s a rookie until he’s played 82).

Pouzar: The HFOil Narrative to a T.

Cheers.

I have no idea what you mean.

godot10:

Who’s trading Shultz?

Bag of Pucks:
    RE: Eberle avoiding contact.

Speaking of which, we get to watch Magnus PRV tonight ; )

I think Eberle has the heart of a lion when he has the puck.

Needs to translate that to when he doesn’t have the puck.

106. Younger Oil says:

While we’re all criticizing our players, I just wanted to chip in and say that what frustrates me more than anything on the team is that Hall never takes a single stride past the redline coming back defensively, regardless of the situation. Just hits the line then starts coasting, no matter how many players the other team put forward. He is the only player I have ever seen do that so consistently, and it’s infuriating. Does anyone else notice this?

Also disappointed that Lander doesn’t get to play tonight though. I really wanted to see them give him a chance in the top 6. I suppose it’s better than sticking him between Gazdic and Jones and then sending him back to the minors when he doesn’t produce though.

107. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I’m also going to take some flack for this but……….

The Lander situation both aggravates & infuriates me to know end, a couple of examples being.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be the owner of season tickets, while it doesn’t make me an expert you just pick up things you will never see on TV.

many have heard my take on Hartikinen before, to much fan fare.

He had limited offensive instincts and wasn’t particularly good in front of the net, despite the playing time gifted to him, yet Lander was never given gifted minutes.

When Gagner went down the better thing to do would be to asses Lander in this spot, however, the Oilers brought up Arcobelo despite my disbelief and anger, while Arcobelo did well, the Oilers still don’t know Lander can? Why?

Which brings me to Lander, in spite of the shitty players he has had to play with, while his offence was limited, he never seemed to do much wrong, he was always just a good 4th liner.

Again, when the stuck Arcobelo in that same roll, he just fell off the map as well.

I’m inclined to believe that Lander MAY have been that two way centre the Oilers are desperate for.

Now will never know……..because Oilers.

End rant.

108. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy: I think Eberle has the heart of a lion when he has the puck.

Needs to translate that to when he doesn’t have the puck.

109. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: Watch them against a great player on the wall like a Lucic or Doughty. They breeze through these smaller Oiler forwards like tissue paper. Backes should provide some evidence of that tonight. St Loo is relentless on the wall. Hitchcock won’t stand for anything less.

Following up from my comparison of team sizes the other day, here are your team size summaries for tonight:

St Louis Blues: Avg F: 205 lbs, Top 3 F: 207 lbs, Avg D: 211 lbs, Top 4 D: 206 lbs

Edmonton OIlers: Avg F: 201 lbs, Top 3F: 187 lbs, Avg D: 199 lbs, Top 4 D: 190 lbs

110. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Did you read the post? (Re: “Who’s trading Schultz?”)

111. Bag of Pucks says:

Good stuff G Money,

They outweigh our Top F by 20 lbs and our Top D by 16 lbs.

We’re sending knives to a gun fight.

112. Bag of Pucks says:

Ryan: Oh, but how did Colorado permanently ruin the development of Ryan O’Reilly by having him playing in the NHL right after getting drafted.

I mean this is a player who’s completely lost defensively in his own zone and if he had spent time percolating in the AHL for more seaoning, perhaps he’d be a better 2-way hockey player.Oh what a grave injustice.

To be fair, 2Cs that step right into the league with a strong two way game ARE rare. I think O’Reilly surprised pretty much everyone in that draft. Heady player with nice grit. Reminds me a lot of another former Av – Mike Keane.

113. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

Eberle is the master of fishing with his stick and turning away from the hit.
    ******************************************************************************

That is called the ‘Sam Gagner” check…..

114. bendelson says:

Woodguy,

Regarding Eberle’s tendency to ‘fish’ for the puck…
    Do you mean the one-handed, place your stick near the opponent but fly by rather then engage the player type ‘fishing’. I believe it’s called the Gagner.

115. bendelson says:

denny33,

Great point!

116. Ducey says:

godot10: Because they don’t want to be sued for treble damages for anti-trust in denying a player a right to earn a living, and also putting the rest of the draft at risk legally.

Do you have any idea how silly you sound in light of the fact that:

a) the NHL closed this loophole;
    b) Woodguy pointed a) out earlier in the thread; and
    c) that makes no sense legally – ie. Its a collective agreement

117. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Ducey,

Maybe adjusted Fenwick isn’t that useful ?

Au contraire mon frere

In fact most of the Cup Champs had a Fen over .550

Its pretty clear.

To be an elite team and true Cup contender, you need to be an elite Fen team.

Here is the article it came from.

Thats interesting. How do we account for the fact that those scores for the last few months are so out of whack with reality? Small sample size?

118. Henry says:

Will everyone still be this grumpy if the Oilers win tonight?

119. denny33 says:

G Money,

Excellent work…..

120. denny33 says:

theres oil in virginia,

********************************************************************************************
    I am trying…..I want to see it…..but…I am not sure I see any habits changing.

121. Marcus Oilerius says:

Henry:
    Will everyone still be this grumpy if the Oilers win tonight?

Possibly. This strikes me as a crowd with a high proportion of fans not keen on passing Florida in the standings.

122. Ducey says:

Henry:
    Will everyone still be this grumpy if the Oilers win tonight?

Some of us will be grumpy regardless of the score.

I got a lot of problems with you people!

123. WeirsBeard says:

Offer sheet for Subban?

Up to what point do you think the Habs match? They’d be crazy to let him get away.

124. denny33 says:

bendelson,

No, your point was better….and faster!

125. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy: There’s some truth to that.

Hemsky could have picked some of his spots better.

Hemsky ain’t got time to bleed.

Bag of Pucks: I think he’s good in traffic but fairly ineffectual on the wall. Like Nuge, he’ll impress you on the wall with the odd sneaky steal, but they just give up too much pound-for-pound to consistently win those battles.

I’m not a believer in weight determines who wins a battle.

Watch Sobatka tonight. Same size as Eberle give or take.

I know you said “pound for pound”, but they are just too weak even for their size.

Ducey: Thats interesting.How do we account for the fact that those scores for the last few months are so out of whack with reality?Small sample size?

Pretty much.

In the short term SV% and SH% dominates results.

Teams like LAK and NJD who *always* have shitty SH% might have systemic problems though.

Systemic problems in terms of consistent low SH%.

LAK seems to over come it, NJD doesn’t. Mostly since the insist on playing Brodeur.

WeirsBeard: Ooh boy, I think he’s the one guy that I might try that for, if I’m the Oilers. Subban is all id, but a difference maker ( not id like Fraser smacking people). Great skater, pushes the play, and has an edge the Oilers haven’t had since, well, Pronger I guess.

I think they match no matter, but I’d still make them pay and pay.

thejonrmcleod:
    Woodguy,

Did you read the post? (Re: “Who’s trading Schultz?”)

apparently.

I only trade Shultz if i’m getting a better Dman back.

I.e. Shultz + X for Enigmatic Subban.

130. G Money says:

Woodguy: I’m not a believer in weight determines who wins a battle.

Watch Sobatka tonight. Same size as Eberle give or take.

It’s not going to be a perfect correlation, true, but these are all professional athletes. I suspect the correlation between weight and strength for an NHL player is far stronger than the correlation between e.g. Corsi and winning.

There’s a reason why in martial arts they separate guys who weigh 185 lbs from guys who weigh 206 lbs.

But not in hockey. And tonight we get to watch a classic middleweight vs light heavyweight battle.

ADDENDUM: Official roster weight of Eberle is 180lbs. Official roster weight of Sobotka is 197lbs. Not sure about you, but in my books, that’s not “the same give or take”, that is an entire weight class of difference.

Ducey: Some of us will be grumpy regardless of the score.

I got a lot of problems with you people!

This.

132. sliderule says:

Pouzar,

Do you mean don’t be silly me hitting ball over 300 yds or weight reports on hockey players?

I can tell you the over 300 is silly but so are weight reports on Hockey players.

The oilers website ,nhl.com and Db.com all have varying weights for a lot of the players.

The reported weights for draft eligible players fall all over the place depending on the agency.

So when Stauffer says RNH has put on a lot of weight I take it with a grain of salt.

133. WeirsBeard says:

Lowetide: I think they match no matter, but I’d still make them pay and pay.

That Habs hate goes waaay deep eh?

What I really want to know is, can we offer sheet Lou in NJ?

Lowetide: I think they match no matter, but I’d still make them pay and pay.

You know that Sam Pollock is dead right?

135. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Offer sheet for Subban?http://www.puckrant.com/slapshot/DO_YOU_WANT_TO_CHANGE_THE_FUTURE

I think risking picks in a draft that is going to be generationally deep would be a grave error. I think I’d rather trade this year’s ticket to #2 overall.

G Money: It’s not going to be a perfect correlation, true, but these are all professional athletes.I suspect the correlation between weight and strength for an NHL player is far stronger than the correlation between e.g. Corsi and winning.

But not in hockey.And tonight we get to watch a classic middleweight vs light heavyweight battle.

ADDENDUM: Official roster weight of Eberle is 180lbs.Official roster weight of Sobotka is 197lbs. Not sure about you, but in my books, that’s not “the same give or take”, that is an entire weight class of difference.

That’s fair.

I want to see them try as hard as Sobatka.

137. OilLeak says:

Not close.

Shultz bothers me on this point too.

Surely they have to be teaching him when to eat the puck and when not to?

He’s been doing this since day one and it hasn’t improved.

If I watch the game I’ll be watching him closely for this.

138. spoiler says:

WeirsBeard: Hemsky ain’t got time to bleed.

That reminds me of:

139. OilLeak says:

Woodguy: I’m not a believer in weight determines who wins a battle.

Watch Sobatka tonight. Same size as Eberle give or take.

While I agree that Ebrle needs to be stronger on the fore-check, Sobotka is nearly 3 years older than Eberle. They may be the same size, but Sobotka’s strength is much more developed.

140. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy: You know that Sam Pollock is dead right?

Hence my offer sheet for Lou in NJ.

Offer ten 1st round picks, then have him negotiate them all back from the league.

141. Pouzar says:

Come on now…that doesn’t fit the narrative G.

142. Ribs says:

I always liked the St. Louis Blues. Their uniforms were cool…

143. theres oil in virginia says:

Bag of Pucks,

Calvin De Haan??? C’mon man, Kassian was available. Duh. Heheh.

I think it’s important to remember that Eberle is still pretty young, and while he doesn’t have that natural killer instinct (physically, he’s got it with respect to puck-in-net), comparing him to a veteran Glenn Anderson is not really a good measuring stick. Not many would measure up to that comparable anyway. To your point, though, I heard today that Steve Smith (WR NFL Carolina Panthers – until yesterday) is 5’9″ 180 lb. That guy is tough as nails. Still, Eberle needs to score goals, and lots of them. The rest he just needs to be capable of: get the effing puck out when needed, and preferably with possession, etc.

144. Maverick says:

Woodguy: That’s fair.

I want to see them try as hard as Sobatka.

I think if Gagner or Eberle would play a little more like Ray Ferraro it would be a good start. Ray wasn’t the best defensive player in the world but at 5’8″ and 190 lbs he battled and was a pain in the butt.
    Could you imagine if this team would have a little ball of hate like Pat Verbeek in their top 6? To use a cliche “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog”

145. theres oil in virginia says:

denny33,
    I’m not going to argue the point vociferously, because gord knows we’ve seen too many turning points already. However, I see incremental progress in how they are attempting to focus on the finer points of possession hockey. I don’t see them being very good at it, but they seem focussed on fixing the parts of the game which are costing them so dearly. Unfortunately, it’s costing them on the offensive-flair side. They make (or attempt to make) a lot of simple plays, rather than going full throttle every chance they get and living with the warts of an incomplete game. (That, to me, is what happens when you “let the horses run”. You get the fun stuff and the awful stuff together.) I think that once they: (1) get some good habits ingrained, (2) get a little tougher on the puck (which I definitely see them doing now), (3) get a little more mature physically (they’re still very young), and (4) start playing in meaningful games, then you’ll see some more of that flair – at the appropriate times. This doesn’t explain the PP though. It sucks, awful-bad, and firing squad should be considered as the remedy.

146. Pouzar says:

Just Wow.

I’ll it chalk it up to temporary insanity up in here.

WeirsBeard: That Habs hate goes waaay deep eh?

What I really want to know is, can we offer sheet Lou in NJ?

Deeper than the ocean.

Woodguy: You know that Sam Pollock is dead right?

dig him up! I want proof.

149. Mr DeBakey says:

>Ribs: Really? With the goofy music note? I’ve always found their unis to be about as dull as the team is. Adding clashing red and striping didn’t really help much either back in the day when Gretz & Co. showed up. Better than these, I suppose.

What about “you ain’t nuthin butta mad dog, howlin alla time”

150. Alsker says:

Maverick: I think if Gagner or Eberle would play a little more like Ray Ferraro it would be a good start.Ray wasn’t the best defensive player in the world but at 5’8″ and 190 lbs he battled and was a pain in the butt.

Does the Arcobello ring a bell?

151. RexLibris says:

So Burke says that tanking is not an option this season and that if he suggested it he’d recommend to ownership that he be fired.

152. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar:
    Just Wow.

I’ll it chalk it up to temporary insanity up in here.

Ha. I don’t think it’s temporary, but what are you referring to?

153. denny33 says:

G Money,

This…..times 100

Other teams love playing against us for a reason…..

And the Oscar for best poster (LT Forum )of 2013 …..

G Money.

154. Maverick says:

Alsker,

Sorry bud, but Arcobello couldn’t carry Ray’s or Pat’s jock strap. You need to aim a little higher.

Ray Ferraro played 1200 games and almost 900 points and 1200 penalty minutes
    Verbeek played 1400 games and over 1000 points and an amazing 2900 penalty minutes. Wow, didn’t realize Verbeek had that many! wowza!

155. stevezie says:

Pouzar,

This is, I think, a common misunderstanding. The argument isn’t, “Size doesn’t matter”; it is “Size alone doesn’t tell us anything”.

Obviously, OBVIOUSLY size is a huge asset in hockey. I don’t think anyone argues this

That said, just because Coke Machine X has a natural advantage does not mean he is successfully using it. Size is no different than speed, hands, smarts, or grit- it really doesn’t matter what weapons you bring to the battle, it only matters if you win.

There’s the point of the stats crowd- they don’t ask how, just ask how many. I don’t care if a guy should win a lot of battles, I only care if he does.

The rock-paper-scissors nature of different strategies means teams that can switch up their styles will have an advantage, but it is still better to get good players than big/fast/skilled/gritty players.

That’s the narrative.

156. B S says:

Woodguy,

I don’t necessarily disagree with the criticisms of Schultz per se, I shake my head at the same dumb plays as most, but rather the implication that it represents the sum of his defensive play. His stats are directly comparable with Petry, including defensively. It therefore stands to reason that if Schultz is making these errors, then he’s also compensating for it in other ways because he is no more of a defensive liablility than the Oilers “Best” Dman (excluding Marincin on the grounds of small sample size). My Point is that overall if Petry is a sound Defensive Player, then so is Schultz. Arguing over blind own-zone backhands into the slot when defensive stats are the same is akin to “soft goals” vs save% in Goalies.

OilLeak: I’ve noticed this about Shultz too, the other thing that’s bothering me is he’s been a lot more static/flat-footed at times since he’s stopped going rover.

Shultz likes to mosey.

Especially on the PP.

Never in a hurry.

Moseying.

spoiler: That reminds me of:

That’s so, so good.

The best thing about the Al Gore is exposure to many talents you’d never witness otherwise.

159. russ99 says:

Woodguy,

That’s the whole team. The PP and our offense in general would greatly benefit from much more movement.

And yet, I didn’t see this last year. Could partly be due to coaching…

160. Ryan says:

Hall padding his Corsi with that shot from besides scrivens? Lol

OilLeak: While I agree that Ebrle needs to be stronger on the fore-check, Sobotka is nearly 3 years older than Eberle.They may be the same size, but Sobotka’s strength is much more developed.

I’ve loved Sobatka (and am on this board’s archives saying as much) since his Boston days.

The last time he played for them was 09/10, so about his age when he was Eberle’s age.

He’s always been this way.

162. Clarkenstein says:

Gee the Oil have never had a start like this before… Says Nobody Ever!

163. delooper says:

Happy for Perron.

164. spoiler says:

I wasn’t sure the Blues were playing with a goalie till Perron potted that puppy.

165. delooper says:

Oilers getting some good chances. So strange.

166. delooper says:

Oilers 4th line keeps the puck in the blues zone… All these new things!

167. spoiler says:

I don’t know where y’all are hiding the Sears Wish Book from my bathroom forays, but I would like to order 5 more Marincins please.

168. theres oil in virginia says:

Hall. What a sissy. Did you see him sidestep that hit before he set up that goal? He was looking around first, like “I hope nobody’s gonna hit me!” We really need to see more grit along the boards. Somebody get the message to him that you’ve got to take the hit to make the play. And did you see Gagner just staring at the puck as it went in the net? Don’t just stare at it, do something! (Don’t mind me, I’m sleep-deprived.) ;)

169. John Chambers says:

Hmm, looks like everyone has abandoned the game-day comments on Copper n Blue. Guess nobody can stand “narrative” that they’ve been feeding.

170. delooper says:

Fraser badly abused by Oshie there.

171. fifthcartel says:

Shades of why they should never re-sign Fraser.

172. Ryan says:

Offtheglassandout.com an edmonton oilers blog. Look out it’s coming.

173. delooper says:

John Chambers:
    Hmm, looks like everyone has abandoned the game-day comments on Copper n Blue. Guess nobody can stand the stream of negativity.

Kind of weird, because its starting to look like the Oilers are finally becoming a mediocre team as of late. I mean, they don’t appear to suck anymore.

174. Ryan says:

delooper: Kind of weird, because its starting to look like the Oilers are finally becoming a mediocre team as of late.I mean, they don’t appear to suck anymore.

They still suck. The only thing that doesn’t suck is called scrivens.

175. John Chambers says:

delooper,

I’m sure Zona would find a way to bitch and complain even if we were in line to win the President’s Trophy.

the Oilers Fancy Dan themselves into the damndest situations.

177. B S says:

well, there goes the burgeoning optimism on this board.

178. Ryan says:

I wonder how many nhl players are on the program.

179. gogliano says:

We could use some of that Sobotka. That’s a nice drive to the net.

180. "Steve Smith" says:

John Chambers:
    delooper,

That’s possible. But to test the hypothesis, we would have to expose Zona to a decent Oilers team. To quote William Shatner, “it hasn’t happened yet.”

181. gogliano says:

Ryan:
    Offtheglassandout.com an edmonton oilers blog.Look out it’s coming.

What is Steve Staois doing these days?

182. Ryan says:

gogliano: What is Steve Staois doing these days?

Lol. If it weren’t for draw weight, the Oilers can’t get the puck out of their zone.

183. Clarkenstein says:

gogliano,

with the Leafs

184. B S says:

F%$%, I hate listening to TSN, dump on the russian kid, won’t commit, doesn’t know how to play. The right way, the white way. time for mute again.

185. Oilanderp says:

Do you hear this horseshit they are spewing about Yakupov on TSN during the intermission!??! It’s almost like they are getting paid to try and reduce potential trade value for all of Edmonton’s players. Disgusting.

186. gvblackhawk says:

Nice of Dreger to help drive down Yakupov’s value.

187. Mr DeBakey says:

John Chambers:

Yeah, i mean, fuck, the Oilers don’t suck.
    Damn that Zona!

188. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

On last nights Flame game Burke was raving about Cammallari’s work ethic in the gym.

He was drafted at 182 and know at 31 weighs 190.that is a big gain for a guy 5 -9.

The point is he can’t be busting at the gym as at best he hasn’t put on muscle mass even if his draft wt was inflated.

189. "Steve Smith" says:

Please, I require your uninformed speculation!

190. Rondo says:

I think Craig Buttons is wrong with his bottom 5 teams and picks.

Makes more sense for Buffalo to take Ekblad at #1 and with the # 4 pick from the NYI they take the centre that is left.

191. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: Honest question: can anybody fathom why Scrivens signed an extension in Edmonton rather than at least testing free agency? Is it just the local boy thing, or does he really like being single-handedly responsible for 100% of the team’s wins? Or was he looking at this summer’s free agent goalie market?Please, I require your uninformed speculation!

Opportunity and stability.

Sorry, that’s all I got.

192. sliderule says:

Don’t blame Dreger all those mainstream hacks get their stuff directly from oiler management and coaches.

193. Ryan says:

Lmao.

First thing jschultz says during his interview is, “off the glass and out.”

Other lmao is me stating on here previously that I had a source close to the org that told me yak was getting dealt at the deadline or draft.

Some probably thought I was crazy… Now we hear that the Oilers have been shopping Yakupov and he is available…

194. spoiler says:

sliderule: Eberle at draft was listed at 185 he is now listed at 180 and he has lost an inch going from 6-0 to 5-11.

No he wasn’t.

195. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”: or does he really like being single-handedly responsible for 100% of the team’s wins?

On further reflection, I suppose that he wasn’t 100% responsible for the team’s most recent win.

196. Pouzar says:

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

The point is he can’t be busting at the gymas at best he hasn’t put on muscle masseven if his draft wt was inflated.

Hey Virginia….

This is what I am talking about.

197. delooper says:

Ryan:
    Lmao.

I think the guy on TSN said he had a source on the Lowetide blog.

198. Ryan says:

delooper: I think the guy on TSN said he had a source on the Lowetide blog.

I also think Schultz was reading this thread prior to his interview. :)

Newer Comments »