OILERS RECALL LANDER, KLEFBOM. ARCOBELLO REMAINS IN MINORS

The Edmonton Oilers used the first of their four recall options on Phil Larsen earlier this week. Today, they recalled Oscar Klefbom and Anton Lander on emergency recall. Jonathan Willis has the details.

Willis also makes an interesting point in the same article:

• There’s a belief within the organization that Lander may be a significantly better player than he’s shown to date in the majors, and given that he’s in his final year of waiver exemption the organization needs to determine whether that is in fact the case. It wouldn’t be a surprise, therefore, if he were to play above the fourth line during this major-league stint.

I’ve felt for some time the Oilers were not convinced of Fedun, and the Lander recall gives me pause in regard to Arcobello. The center can’t do more than he has to show Edmonton he can play, so it would appear Lander is the preferred option and that Arcobello will leave via free agency this summer. Although not identical, the recall of Klefbom over Fedun is similar and in some ways more of a tell. The injured player (Jeff Petry) is right-handed, and Fedun would have been a more natural replacement than lefty Klefbom.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

klefbom ferguson1

Anton Lander is going to get a chance to show what he can do, and maybe up the depth chart. Perhaps he’ll end up on Boyd Gordon’s wing, as we discussed in the offseason. Lander has played in 79 NHL games, Klefbom has not yet appeared in the NHL. He is one of 11 selections from the 2011 draft’s first round yet to play in the league.

(Lander, Klefbom photos by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved)

85 Responses to "OILERS RECALL LANDER, KLEFBOM. ARCOBELLO REMAINS IN MINORS"

1. OilLeak says:

Lander and Klefbom have been recalled on an emergency basis so I don’t think they count against the 4 call-up limit.

2. regwald says:

The two recalls today were listed as Emergency recalls meaning they don’t count against the 4.

3. Marcus Oilerius says:

Very happy to see that it’s Lander and Klefbom. No disrespect to Fedun, but the team needs to know what it has in these two. Lander because of his waiver and contract situation, Klefbom to see how his game has progressed.

Sorry for going off topic, but Hemsky finished with 3 assists today. I expect he’ll end the season with the Senators on a near-PPG pace and be the trade everyone ends up talking about. Been too long since he’s had an NHL squad around him.

4. FPB94 says:

On Arcobello: Get a free semi-competent guy, get rid of him we need more Luke Gazdic. Joenssu and such to perpetuate our bottom roster garbageness.

5. fifthcartel says:

Seeing Lander play anywhere but the 4th line would be very interesting. His numbers in the AHL have to suggest there’s some offensive upside to his game.

6. VanOil says:

What team is smart enough give Fedun and chance and brave enough to play Arco? They would be cheap effective NHL depth for a wise GM. The Oilers don’t need them because we have Acton down in OKC and Fraser in the NHL providing such cheap effective depth.

7. VanOil says:

Imagine an Oilers where the 6 & 7s did not suck. This would be possible next year with one trade:

Hall-RHN-Yak
    Perron-Draft Pick-Eberle
    Nelson-Lander-Pitlick/Arco
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

Gagner traded for Brock Nelson. A shut down own zone 4th line that allows Gordon to take the some draws for the Draft Pick in a Malhotra role. Nelson also capable of moving up and filling in. If you must have them Smyth and Gadzook can cheer from the pressbox, neither of them should play more than 30-40 games on the NHL next year. Keeping Smyth fresh for the playoffs and keeping Gadzook off the ice so the team has a chance to make the playoffs.

8. Bar_Qu says:

It is fascinating to look at this team right now and imagine, “what if Gagner had not been assaulted and Dubnyk played like he did every year before this one?” I wonder if the GM and Coach would not have been so quick to jump to “tried and true” methods like the brute squad to protect players and letting Arco run more on the 4th/3rd lines.

Those events, more than any other this year, sewered Arcobello’s chances on this team and likely prevented Fedun from coming up either, imo.

9. russ99 says:

Wasn’t MacT the coach when we ran Brodziak – Glencross – Stortini?

So I don’t get where this emphasis on facepunchers for the 4th line and bottom-pair D is coming from…

10. teddyturnbuckle says:

I would be upset if Arco left for nothing. To me he is better than Gagner who we should trade at the draft. Arco can play wing on the 4th line also. Is it too late to sign Arco? If it was me I would play the crap out of Arco, Lander, Klefbom, Larson to see what they can offer . I would sit Jones and Jesse most nights because we know what they can offer which is not much. The Oilers are a better team with Kyle Clifford and Arco in the lineup rather than having Gagner throwing backhand pizzas up the middle.

russ99:
    Wasn’t MacT the coach when we ran Brodziak – Glencross – Stortini?

Fraser gives them an option of not playing an enforcer up front, but I don’t think he’s good enough at hockey to last. Hendricks can play a little, I’m enjoying him on the PP although I don’t think we have enough data to make sweeping statements.

Gazdic continues an Oil tradition going back to Laraque continuing to Stortini and macIntyre (who did in fact play a little under MacT iirc).

The Oilers value this player type. They just do. If MacT didn’t value them, none of them would be here.

12. spoiler says:

Smart call ups. Lander over Arcobello doesn’t give me pause at all. They know what Arco can do at the NHL level, but no one can be entirely sure what Lander is yet. You call up the unknown and see if he can become a known. That’s not a slight on Arcobello in the least.

The Klefbom and Fedun choice is a little tougher to weigh. I think here the Oilers are tipping their hand as to which player they feel is the better defensemen. Klefbom has speed, mobility, size and youth on Fedun. Fedun probably has him in smarts, or at least does right now. I don’t think the Oil will be shy at switching the two if Klefbom struggles with his debut, but they are going to give Bomber a long look and a chance to build some confidence before they try something different, is my guess.

Hard to disagree with either of these call ups, since they are auditions.

13. teddyturnbuckle says:

I read your prospect list LT and agree with most of it except that I would put guys who have actually played NHL games higher (Marincin, ect ) than second round picks (Roy) who are long shots to even play one NHL game.

14. teddyturnbuckle says:

One thing I will say about Gazdic is that he has a bomb of a punch and for the first time in three years all the kids have survived the season with less cheap shots taken at them.

15. Bank Shot says:

russ99:
    Wasn’t MacT the coach when we ran Brodziak – Glencross – Stortini?

I think the problem is that the Oilers don’t have any good young players for the 4th line, not that they don’t want any.

16. RexLibris says:

I’m not a fan of the knuckledraggers in the Chris Simon tradition. But I have time for Gazdic if only because I don’t see him taking cheap shots the way Boogaard and some others used to and then pounding the hell out of the poor soul whose job it was to try and “enforce” a code of ethics.

Gazdic has improved, and if he works on his skating and puck-handling skills, then I’m perfectly fine with him on the roster.

17. Jon K says:

russ99:
    Wasn’t MacT the coach when we ran Brodziak – Glencross – Stortini?

Which one of those three guys was kept on by the organisation? The facepuncher. The disposal of that 4th line reveals how poor Lowe is at accessing bottom six talent.

18. "Steve Smith" says:

teddyturnbuckle:

His prospect list was from last summer; he was providing comments on that list, not posting a new one. That explains, for example, why Marincin was as low as he was.

19. Pouzar says:

My money is on Petry playing tomorrow and Klefbom being sent down so as to not burn a call up.

Please play Lander in the Top 9.

teddyturnbuckle:

The list was done before Marincin played a game. Credit to him, he will certainly be higher (#2 or #3, I’d guess) on the summer list.

21. The Great One says:

If the cost of finding out if Lander is an NHL player is losing Arcobello for nothing, the actual cost could be 2 players.

The Great One:

23. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Torn on these call ups. I, personally, want to see these guys have a go at the show, but the value of playing meaningful hockey on the farm is very important to their development. Hopefully they are back in OKC soon.

I do, however, believe that calling up some players to play a few games in between games in the AHL can be a good thing. Give them a taste. And a couple extra Bordens for their wallets.

The 4 call up rule is pucking stupid….

On Fedun: Great story. But, he was getting manhandled in his own zone. May be too small for the big leagues. Hope I’m wrong…..

Lander: He’s got will. Not sure he will ever be in your top six, but that’s just how it goes sometimes. If he is effective in a bottom six role, and I think he can be, then it’s a win for the org. No shame in that.

Everything doesn’t need to be “pretty colors.”

Arcobello: He had some moments. Some skill, little grit, but no shot and some games he was a non-factor. You can blame his linemates, but I think that’s BS. If he’s your second line center you got issues.

Furthermore, the 4th line is NOT losing the Oilers games. It’s not. The second line, and I’ve said this before, is a place where good men have gone to die this year.

I think Larsen is up only up to keep the young D down for the run. Not sure there are any plans for him in the org. Similar issues as Fedun.

Hemsky trade: It needed to happen. For him and the org. Was a 3rd and a 5th a good return. No. But it may have been all that was available. Was he going to sign here. I doubt it. He was done. So, you get what you can.

No sense crying over spilled milk….

24. The Great One says:

Lowetide: I think Arcobello is an NHL player. I don’t think he’s going to be a difference maker. That doesn’t mean he has no value. I’m fine with taking a long look at Lander. He could end up as a top 9F.

Thing is, Arcobello IS a top 9F. NOW.

And the chances of Lander being a difference maker are slim and none.

I would call up Arcobello too and sit Gagner intermittently.

The Great One: Thing is, Arcobello IS a top 9F. NOW.

And the chances of Lander being a difference maker are slim and none.

I would call up Arcobello too and sit Gagner intermittently.

26. The Great One says:

Lowetide: Meh. These are all words you’ve used before. You have no proof, neither do I. The difference is I admit it.

It’s not about proof or certainty…it’s about good and bad bets.

A soon to be 23 year old with 79 games on his NHL resume and only 2G and 5A -15 is a pretty bad bet.

Arcobello is just a better bet.

27. KSC10032 says:

Re: Klefbom v. Fedun, Oscar has been playing with another LH shot in Musil.

Can anyone (Willis?) advise if he is playing the left or right side of that pairing?

BTW — this entire idea @ having to have a RH and a LH shot on every pairing is a comparatively new one. Through the 60′s, 70′s and ’80′s, well over 70% of all hockey players were LH shots (I don’t know the current ratio), so a lot of defensemen played the off-side. (The famous 1972 Soviet team had only 2 RH shots on the entire roster)

Hell, Orr, Harvey, Park, Potvin, all played the offside, primarily, and in Orr’s case exclusively.

28. The Great One says:

Anyone watching the “Blocked Shot Extravaganza” ® in Vancouver?

Shots on goal – 5

Blocked shots – 27

Time for a rule change.

29. OilLeak says:

Considering the Oilers are still woefully short of NHL players especially at the bottom of the roster, throwing away an affordable NHL player just highlights the bad decisions the Oilers organization continues to make. The Oilers employ Joensuu, Jones, and Gazdic, and Hendricks on the roster; Arcobello is 10 times the player than any of those scrubs.

30. The Great One says:

OilLeak:
    Considering the Oilers are still woefully short of NHL players especially at the bottom of the roster, throwing away an affordable NHL player just highlights the bad decisions the Oilers organization continues to make.The Oilers employ Joensuu, Jones, and Gazdic, and Hendricks on the roster; Arcobello is 10 times the player than any of those scrubs.

This.

All day long.

With the Lander call up I’m sure Arcobello has already called his agent.

The man has done everything the organization has asked of him and they’re pissing it away.

31. Kitchener says:

I interpret the Klefbom/Fedun selection as follows:
    - given that the team only has 4 call-ups
    - given that Petry’s injury creates an opportunity (emergency call-up)
    - given that Klefbom is progressing nicely in OKC and they don’t want to screw this up
    - given that Klefbom would benefit from 1-2 NHL games to experience the pace, then return to OKC
    - … it makes sense to use Petry’s short-term ailment to give Klefbom his game (or two)

I don’t see this as a slight to Fedun at all. Not yet.

32. The Great One says:

Seguin with 1G 2A tonight against Minnesota.

Going supernova.

33. Numenius says:

LT (and some others), I think you’re reading too much into the current callups.

I suspect they’re not giving up on Fedun and Arcobello as much as wanting to see what they have in Klefbom and Lander.

Fedun and Arcobello have already both made a strong case for NHL employment and Klefbom and Lander haven’t. Therefore, it makes sense first to bring up Klef and Lander to see if they make a similar case and then decide on the Fedun and Arco in the context of that knowledge.

And all this while trying to keep enough skill down in OKC to get them to the playoffs.

34. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Hendricks is a pucking seriously undervalued player around these, them, there parts. Wow!

35. The Great One says:

Numenius:
    LT, I think you’re reading too much into the current callups.

36. Jon K says:

The Great One: This.

All day long.

With the Lander call up I’m sure Arcobellohas already called his agent.

Agree completely. The Oilers are right to be concerned about Lander and trying to find out what they have in him. But they are negligent to take for granted what they have in Arcobello.

He might not end up making it, but his performance to date in the NHL is much better than others, and he’s still being treated like the redheaded stepchild. He deserves better, and there are 29 other teams out there looking for guys who can play in the NHL for cheap.

37. The Great One says:

Jon K,

In the AHL:

Lander – 1.07 PPG

Arcobello – 2.00 PPG.

Idiots.

38. Numenius says:

The Great One: Problem is, if you don’t give your free agent players an opportunity in the NHL, they don’t take too kindly to it.

I don’t see how a class act like Arcobello would have a problem with that.

39. The Great One says:

Numenius: All you do is pick up the phone, call your free agent player, and say “we’re just giving player X one last chance to prove himself. After that and regardless of how he fairs, we want you to come play for us for the rest of the year and want to sign you to a one way contract for next year.”

I don’t see how a class act like Arcobello would have a problem with that.

His agent would likely say piss off.

Play me or move me.

40. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Worrying about Arcobello being on the Oilers next year is like crawling underneath your desk during a nuclear attack.

41. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

For all the Gagner love over the years, why is Arco labelled a non-factor? Playing with skill and getting more than you give is still worthwhile to have… he isn’t the straw that stirs but neither was Gagner.

Not to say they can’t aim higher, but with so many holes it doesn’t seem that pressing a spot to fill if Arco is the replacement. Every player doesn’t have to be a difference maker

From BTN:

Season # GP TOI G/60 A1/60 A2/60 Pts/60 Corsi OnIce Sh% Sav% PDO OZ Start OZ End
    08/09 89 76 13.09 0.54 0.72 0.42 1.69 -0.90 9.17 924 1016 55.4 49.7
    09/10 89 68 13.00 0.61 0.61 0.34 1.56 -2.51 7.94 901 980 48.8 49.8
    10/11 89 68 13.89 0.64 0.76 0.51 1.91 -3.81 9.71 876 973 50.9 53.4
    11/12 89 75 14.29 0.67 0.78 0.50 1.96 -2.18 10.17 923 1025 54.1 51.8
    12/13 89 48 14.28 0.88 0.18 0.79 1.84 -14.44 10.65 901 1007 51.4 52.0
    13/14 26 39 11.95 0.39 0.90 0.64 1.93 -3.35 8.06 905 986 45.5 45.1
    13/14 89 47 14.49 0.35 0.70 0.44 1.50 -13.57 8.47 894 978 54.7 49.7

42. flyfish1168 says:

Not sure how to view Eakins at times. Watching Joe Colborne and knowing the phlegms only gave a 4th round pick for him during training camp I wonder what went on that MacT wasn’t able to trade for him prior to the phlegms getting him. He is a big centre we can use. But we got Acton and Ryan Hamilton instead. Interesting

43. The Great One says:

flyfish1168:
    Not sure how to view Eakins at times. Watching Joe Colborne and knowing the phlegms only gave a4th round pick for him during training camp I wonder what went on that MacT wasn’t able to trade for him prior to the phlegms getting him. He is a big centre we can use. But we got Actonand Ryan Hamilton instead. Interesting

And, they re-signed Ryan Jones while Mason Raymond was twisting in the wind.

Playing 3rd line minutes…Raymond 18G 19A 37P

44. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Blah, formatting is crap on my previous post. The BTN link is probably better.

A few takeaways:
    – Arco has a very reasonable on-ice shooting of 8%.
    – ahead of Gagner’s overall numbers by strict offensive stats/60
    – worse zone starts than any of gagner’s seasons
    – corsi is good vs Gagner when considering zone starts

He’s no screaming hell to watch, but Arco has shown the capability to be an effective 2C fill-in unless a major upgrade is available.

45. flyfish1168 says:

The Great One: And, they re-signed Ryan Jones while Mason Raymond was twisting in the wind.

Playing 3rd line minutes…Raymond 18G 19A 37P

Sad part is Eakins knew these players well. I’m sure he was in MacT ear and we end up with the wrong player. Bad judgement by Eakins

46. VanOil says:

The Great One:
    Anyone watching the “Blocked Shot Extravaganza” ® in Vancouver?

Shots on goal – 5

Blocked shots – 27

Time for a rule change.

Agreed. Time for the Howie Meeker Rule;

A player can not intentionally leave his feet to block a shot or pass.

Simple rule. Less subjective than many. Addresses player safety and fan enjoyment. Owners should like it because they would lose less man days to injury. Is the NHLPA really going to go to bat to keep lying down in front of shots part of the game?

Sure Torts and Cherry would hate it but fuck’em this will make hockey better.

47. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Gagner vrs Arcobello

Shot? Gagner, hands down.

Playmaking? Slight edge Gagner.

Defensive awareness? Arcobello, everybody in the rooms hands are down.

Grit? Acrobello. Disclaimer: Gagner had his pucking jaw broke in training camp.

Do I think either should be centering the 2nd next year? No. But, Gagner, healthy, is a better option.

48. dangilitis says:

I can’t believe I am saying this, but for the record, when DSF says things that make sense, I will give him credit for it. I very much agree with everything he says about Arcobello vs Lander. I really like what I saw from Arcobello . One can make the case that when Arco was played in #2 role, he did very well and 3rd-4th line roles was nothing special. But even so, he was certainly not the problem. Lander has never had 2nd line minutes as far as I can remember, nor any significant time on the 3rd. So where is Lander going to play during this call up? The only useful way to compare the two would be to trial Lander in a #2C role or #4C with occasional #3C time. But totally agreed, we definitely have enough evidence to know that Arcobello was a) not a defensive liability, b) capable of playing #2C minutes despite being small, c) good hockey sense, d) capable of some PP time but not a driver, and e) better at faceoffs, and f) snakebitten a little, but I didn’t feel like his shots were low percentage or poor quality (I remember him getting robbed several times in the early going of the season). What we do know about Lander is he has a) good leadership qualities, b) a reputation for good defensive play (although a bit underwhelming given this label based on time we have seen in NHL, c) may give us some PK skills, d) snakebitten everywhere until late last AHL season, and e) 4 years younger.

For me, Lander being 4 yrs younger gives him some rope, but Arcobello has been mistreated by being demoted while unproven players roam around, both literally and figuratively, in the big league. If I was him I would definitely test free agency as there are always teams scouting the AHL for players like him.

On the Klefbom vs Fedun bit, I get that Fedun is better now and Klef has more upside. What upsets me is that I feel that Klefbom and Fedun should be taking Fraser’s and newly vacated Nick Schultz spots. This obsession with Philip Larsen is mind-boggling given its coexistence with an obsession for defencemen like Ference and Fraser. But Klefbom’s contract doesn’t expire next year, I believe, and there is no debate over who has been the glue for the OKC defence this year.

49. The Great One says:

63 blocked shots in the Vancouver – Calgary game.

That’s not hockey.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

russ99:
    Wasn’t MacT the coach when we ran Brodziak – Glencross – Stortini?

Jon K: Which one of those three guys was kept on by the organisation?

Uhh, none of the above?

51. Bruce McCurdy says:

digdeepnbleedblue:

I’ll say.

In his 15 games as an Oiler, Hendricks has a zone start of 13.6% (!!) & a SF% of 44.1%. He’s been an ace on the penalty kill, plus he brings a mean streak that (some) Oilers fans have been begging for. But the narrative remains that he’s a slab of beef hanging from a hook in the cold room. Exactly what is it you expect him to do? If the answer to that is “nothing” then you should be pleasantly surprised. I know I am.

52. dangilitis says:

Interesting point I thought I would share:

Seguin has 66 pts with a crazy appearing distribution. 66 pts, 62 games, and I am not going to knock this guy, he’s a gem and I really wish they could have pulled the trigger on the deal for #2 overall that year. But he has three 4 point games and two 5 point games this year, for 22 of his pts or 1/3 of his point production in just 5 games. Which means for the other 57 games, he has 44 pts.

I was curious, so looked at top 10 point scorers, and then took their 5 best games to see how it contributes to their overall pt production, with what their stats would look like if you excluded those 5 games:

Crosby: 16 pts/5GP, 19% in 8% of season, 65pts/58 GP (1.12)

Kessel: 17 pts/5GP, 24% in 8% of season, 53pts/60 GP (0.88)

Getzlaf: 18 pts/5GP, 26% in 8% of season, 52pts/55 GP (0.94)

Ovechkin: 17 pts/5GP, 25% in 8% of season, 50pts/56 GP (0.89)

Seguin: 22 pts/5GP, 33% in 8% of season, 44pts/57 GP (0.77)

Tavares: 17 pts/5GP, 25% in 8% of season, 49 pts/54 GP (0.91)

Perry: 15 pts/5GP, 23% in 8% of season, 50 pts/59 GP (0.85)

Kane: 14 pts/5GP, 22% in 8% of season, 51 pts/58 GP (0.88)

Giroux: 14 pts/5GP, 22% in 8% of season, 50 pts/59 GP (0.85)

Malkin: 15pts/5GP, 23% in 10% of season, 49 pts/47 GP (1.04)

And for comparison sake, Hallsy
    Hall: 15 pts/5 GP, 25% in 9% of season, 44 pts/52 GP (0.85)

Seguin shouldn’t be penalized for having great games, but he clearly stands out here.
    In those 5 games, scores were: 8-1 over Vcr, 6-4 over Wpg, 5-1 over Phil, 7-3 over Cgy, 4-1 over Wpg. Only 2 were “close.”

He clearly doesn’t like western Canada…

The Great One: His agent would likely say piss off.

Play me or move me.

Its after the trade deadline and he’s a UFA at the end of the year.

Seriously , what exactly is his agent supposed to do?

Bruce McCurdy: I’ll say.

In his 15 games as an Oiler, Hendricks has a zone start of 13.6% (!!) & a SF% of 44.1%. He’s been an ace on the penalty kill, plus he brings a mean streak that (some)Oilers fans have been begging for. But the narrative remains that he’s a slab of beef hanging from a hook in the cold room. Exactly what is it you expect him to do? If the answer to that is “nothing” then you should be pleasantly surprised. I know I am.

I saw him pretty good last few games and have said as much.

Better than expected.

55. The Great One says:

Woodguy: Its after the trade deadline and he’sa UFA at the end of the year.

Seriously , what exactly is his agent supposed to do?

Tell his client not to sign another contract.

If they qualify him at a pittance, play in Europe for a season.

56. The Great One says:

dangilitis:
    Interesting point I thought I would share:

Crosby: 16 pts/5GP, 19% in 8% of season, 65pts/58 GP (1.12)

Kessel: 17 pts/5GP, 24% in 8% of season, 53pts/60 GP (0.88)

Getzlaf: 18 pts/5GP, 26% in 8% of season, 52pts/55 GP (0.94)

Ovechkin: 17 pts/5GP, 25% in 8% of season, 50pts/56 GP (0.89)

Seguin: 22 pts/5GP, 33% in 8% of season, 44pts/57 GP (0.77)

Tavares: 17 pts/5GP, 25% in 8% of season, 49 pts/54 GP (0.91)

Perry: 15 pts/5GP, 23% in 8% of season, 50 pts/59 GP (0.85)

Kane: 14 pts/5GP, 22% in 8% of season, 51 pts/58 GP (0.88)

Giroux: 14 pts/5GP, 22% in 8% of season, 50 pts/59 GP (0.85)

Malkin: 15pts/5GP, 23% in 10% of season, 49 pts/47 GP (1.04)

And for comparison sake, Hallsy
    Hall: 15 pts/5 GP, 25% in 9% of season, 44 pts/52 GP (0.85)

He clearly doesn’t like western Canada…

It’s the same as golf…you don’t ask how…just how many.

The Great One: Tell his client not to sign another contract.

If they qualify him at a pittance, play in Europe for a season.

I thought he was UFA.

Damn.

58. spoiler says:

The Great One: Tell his client not to sign another contract.
    If they qualify him at a pittance, play in Europe for a season.

Why would his client walk away from a one-way contract that gives him an opportunity to play with guys he knows and for the org that gave him a chance to climb up from the very bottom level of pro hockey?

I could be wrong, but so could you. You’re completely speculating on what his feelings might be. Not everyone has a chip on their shoulder.

If the Oilers don’t have a plan for him, he can sign wherever he wants in the off-season.

59. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Bruce McCurdy,

“In his 15 games as an Oiler, Hendricks has a zone start of 13.6% (!!) & a SF% of 44.1%.”

Did you just swear at me?

lol

I kid, I kid!

60. spoiler says:

The Great One: It’s the same as golf…you don’t ask how…just how many.

61. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: Yet I remember you saying the exact opposite thing during the season of Gagner’s big game.

62. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I thought he was UFA.

He has the option to elect for Group 6 UFA status.

63. spoiler says:

Very happy I am that the blogworld is coming around on Hendricks. He does a lot of little things well. He’s never going to bring as much O as a Chris Neil, but he’s mining the same vein. Hopefully that means we can sit Gazdic more. I have been impressed with Gazdic’s improvement in his raw skills–someone has been working on his skating.

And I want to chime in on the Marincin too. Didn’t have a chance to post this earlier, but like most of y’all, I was blown away by his last game. Kid is gaining confidence before our eyes. Gord I hope Klefbom can bring something similar. Considering how much the defense has suffered this year, full kudos to the Braintrust for leaving two guys in the A to fully marinate before bringing them up.

64. Zangetsu says:

I’m still really sore about the Hemsky trade. Looking into the future, I just see bumbling idiots ruining team after team.

65. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy: Exactly what is it you expect him to do? If the answer to that is “nothing” then you should be pleasantly surprised. I know I am.

I thought Hendricks might be a useful player when they acquired him. I was sorely disappointed the first few games. The last few games he’s outperformed my expectations. Hope he keeps it up, it’s a complementary aspect to the Oiler game that is sorely needed.

“Steve Smith”: That’s distinguishable on its facts, on the basis that the facts aren’t exactly identical (for example, Gagner is an Oiler).

Nailed it. I usually skip dee ess eff’s posts for that reason. Occasionally he has something worthwhile to say, but the signal to noise ratio is just way too low, that interesting signal is generally buried way under the noise floor. And it’s not a nice pleasant white noise either, it’s more like a 20Khz square wave convenience stores use to annoy teenagers, only this noise is synthesized from troll roars.

66. Dee Dee says:

dangilitis,

Seguin has 8 points in his last 2 games and is +13GA on the year, he can play on my team any day….

He plays on the first line now and faces the best defenders on any team he plays and is still able to pull off 5 point games and elevate his play to 5th best point scorer in the league.

Some nights you are on, and anything you touch magically finds its way into the Net, and some nights you can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball. Savor the prior moments :-)

If you look at how points are scored:

Player Goal/60 Assist1/60 Assist2/60
    Seguin 1.47 1.33 0.29

you can contrast that to Halls:

Player Goal/60 Assist1/60 Assist2/60
    Hall 1.05 1.19 0.9

28.7% of Hall’s points come from 2nd Assists while Seguin is at 9.3%

47.6% of Seguin’s points are Goals, Hall is 33.4%.

It’s all how you look at it I guess.

spoiler:
    Very happy I am that the blogworld is coming around on Hendricks.He does a lot of little things well.He’s never going to bring as much O as a Chris Neil, but he’s mining the same vein.Hopefully that means we can sit Gazdic more.I have been impressed with Gazdic’s improvement in his raw skills–someone has been working on his skating.

And I want to chime in on the Marincin too. Didn’t have a chance to post this earlier, but like most of y’all, I was blown away by his last game.Kid is gaining confidence before our eyes.Gord I hope Klefbom can bring something similar.Considering how much the defense has suffered this year, full kudos to the Braintrust for leaving two guys in the A to fully marinate before bringing them up.

68. book¡je says:

Numenius: All you do is pick up the phone, call your free agent player, and say “we’re just giving player X one last chance to prove himself. After that and regardless of how he fairs, we want you to come play for us for the rest of the year and want to sign you to a one way contract for next year(s).”

I don’t see how a class act like Arcobello would have a problem with that.

Yeah, I suspect he might be bitter about being Burried in the AHL for half a season.

69. book¡je says:

I’d be worried about that bet D.S.F.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Couple of thoughts:

1. blocked shots.

COmpletely agreed with Meeker on this. It ruins the game. The NHL needs to be more creative in how it uses rules to incentivize entertaining hockey. The loser point is shitty way of doing that. severely limiting blocked shots would go a lot further.

2. Arco v. Lander

This conversation lacks context. Let’s add some.

MacT/Eakins thinks it is really important that the kids int he AHL experience winning. I’m sure this has been communicated to all the players (called up or not)… hey we’re going to get you some at bats, but we also want you pushing in the A. If mgt. pitches that right I don’t think anyone will be pissed about it.

Lander is clearly in the long term plans moreso than Arco, but they aren’t in direct competition for roster spots both can play on the Oilers now, in two weeks and long term.

if Arco is inconsolably bitter about the way he’s been treated, he’s in for a lot of heartache when he moves on to another organization. He’s a very old prospect with very limited upside from here and a short NHL track record. I think we are deluding ourselves if we are suggesting another team is going to give him a one-way contract AND prioritize his NHL ice time over their own players and prospects.

3. Hendricks

C’mon… the issue has never been “meat head bad/good”… the issue with Hendricks is what does his pick up mean in broad strokes?

i.e., his contract is expensive and long… how does that affect other moves? does it imply they will play him on the 3rd line? if they do (as they have been) does that mean a roster spot for Winnik, Moss, Kulemin is taken? if he’s on the 3rd line with Gordon are we giving in to full-on “checking 3rd line” and what does that mean? what does that say about the quality of the 4th line we can expect?

this isn’t some stale tit-for-tat conversation. there are broader implications at stake here.

71. DeadmanWaking says:

book¡je: 4 assists for Hemsky. It’s unfortunate that the Oilers coulden’t get this out of him.

Some sources are saying three and some are saying four. That’s also a bad omen for D.S.F. The gods are toying with you, buddy. It’s almost like Hemsky is scoring in his sleep.

72. DeadmanWaking says:

Just had a random thought: the apparent devaluation of rentals is not what it seems. Changes in the CBA are making high picks less valuable, because they get paid in full (or beyond) after one good season. It’s the mid-round picks that have to toil for years under-compensated to prove themselves.

If no-one in the market realizes this, these picks just circulate around, and when draft day comes, most teams are sitting at the table with a normal complement.

As soon as a few teams realize that these mid-round picks are undervalued and begin to horde these coins, other teams expending these coins find it surprisingly hard to regain these coins before draft day rolls around, then later–having drafted a year or two with a paucity of mid-round picks–notice that their cap dollars aren’t stretching so far as they once did, and pretty soon everyone is asking the right question–at the end of the day the difference being that the smart team asked these questions sooner.

This is the normal dynamic in a hotly contested market where even the smallest edge is precious–and generally short lived.

Once the precious nature of these mid-round picks becomes a league-wide norm, the players drafted in these slots can start to use this as leverage to be more fairly compensated sooner in their careers. Then the marble moves and it’s lather, rinse, and repeat.

I’m not actually arguing here that this particular effect is real. I am arguing that one should not discount this possibility out of hand.

Matty asks Klef some good questions after practice: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=570960&catid=4

DeadmanWaking,

The ELC (Entry level contract) is 3 years.

The max actual $ is $925K.

Only the highest picks get the rookie max bonuses that make the contract look larger on paper.

There is now a “bonus cushion” allowed under the cba where teams can exceed the cap by an amount if they are exceeding due to bonuses: http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-performance-bonuses-count-against-the-cap

If it unlikely that your player will attain the bonuses, then you can exceed the cap by that bonus amount at will without repercussion.

Its pretty rare that a team will have a larger amount of bonuses than the cushion.

The Oilers are that team right now because of RNH, Yak and Shultz all getting max bonuses incentives.

Pretty rare.

So in short, I don’t think that upper end picks have lost value due to their contracts.

I think that NHL GMs generally have taken their heads out of their asses and correctly identified what rentals actually bring their team, and that its rare that its worth a first.

If anything, the cap era had made the 1st rounders even more valuable, but it has taken a while for NHL GMs to realize how valuable.

75. Big Dan says:

What the heck is Arcobello doing in the minors? He’s better than Gagner and a good fill-in until we find a 2C. He can also play as the 3rd line RW with Gordon and Hendricks (who’s a demon, love the guy). Arco is a very smart, gritty, speedy, two-way player who just needs to work on his shot a bit.

Good lord, is Ryan Jones in the NHL just because he has a one-way deal? Swallow your pride, cough up the $$$, and send him down and bring Arco up for the rest of the year. Roman Horak (who’s going to be a good NHL 3/4th liner next year) and Tyler Pitlick can occupy Arco and Lander’s top two C positions for Oklahoma’s push.

Then sign Arco asap to a one-way deal next year. Jesse Joensuu will take his act back to Europe this summer. It all seems so straightforward.

Gagner is not in Edmonton’s future plans anymore. My guess is that LA will pick him up for Clifford (they didn’t have the cap room this time around) and he’ll turn it around there just like Cogs in Anaheim. But we rid ourselves of a $5M cap hit and shake up the core’s stagnant aroma of “ok with losingness”.

Therefore, stick him on the 4th line as a message to the rest of the team what backchecking laziness and self-righteousness get you. Might wake Eberle up.

We need Lander to get a shot at the 2C, just to see how he fares. This means more long term to the franchise than continuing to give plum ice time to that slacker Gagner. My guess is that Smyth retires this summer and Lander and Horak make quite the effective 4th line next year. Guys like Hendricks and Arco will occasionally slot in because Gazdic fills his role nicely for only 5 minutes a night.

Also, Fedun is too small for a NHL defenseman. Let him go this summer. Good luck to him. Meh. I hope Oscar Klefbom gets all our hearts a’flitter like Marincin did in his callup. Who will be playing their off-side?

If Klefbom plays as I expect, it’ll make bidding adieu to Fedun, Larsen, Belov, and Grebeshkov easier for MacT (I’d keep Mark Fraser short-term though so as to not rush the likes of Nurse and Simpson).

For now…

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Perron-Lander-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Gordon-Arcobello
    Gazdic-Smyth-Gagner

Schultz-Ference
    Larsen-Marincin
    Klefbom-Fraser

76. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I think this corner of the blog world has been fair about Hendricks from the beginning.

Bruce McCurdy: Give or take the odd comments section, this corner of the blog world is ALWAYS fair. Perhaps a little delusional at times (“sign the man!”) but fair.

Remind me to kick your ass sometime. :-)

78. G Money says:

Lowetide: Remind me to kick your ass sometime.

As long as you do it fairly, it’s all good.

79. theres oil in virginia says:

Bruce McCurdy: the odd comments section

I’ve always thought the comments section here was odd too.

80. Bruce McCurdy says:

theres oil in virginia: I’ve always thought the comments section here was odd too.

Well it certainly can be odd, but has a way of getting even.

Bruce McCurdy: Well it certainly can be odd, but has a way of getting even.

Oh yeah. The comments section over the years has been from one end of the planet to the other, but sooner or later it comes back to the middle. One of the better relationships Ive had, actually. :-)

82. Jon K says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Uhh, none of the above?

Come on, Bruce, you knew my point. Stortini was kept long after those two. He was kept long after it was apparent he wasn’t an effective NHLer, despite some encouraging results early in his career.

83. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jon K,

Well, I will most certainly agree that letting Glencross and Brodziak get away were both major blunders by the org. As for Stortini, he was a break-even player on a crummy team, held his own better than some of the other guys they’ve tried in that role before and since. Pat Quinn actually got a decent season out of him, then Renney flushed him the following year. I hardly see him as a poster boy for the error of Oilers’ management’s ways, whereas both Brodz & GlenX are examples of poor management.

84. Jon K says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I would agree with that, Bruce. The purpose of my comment was mainly to criticize the handling of Glencross and Brodziak, which remains a sore point. Let’s not even get started on other useful bottom six players moved out for, in the end, nothing (i.e. Stoll, Torres).