PREDATORS AT OILERS, G70 13-14

My father and I shared a sense of humor, a love of baseball and hockey, and an appreciation of music. Country music. My Mom taught me about Little Richard and Elvis and Jerry Lee, but for Dad music all came from one place: Nashville, Tennessee.

At our house, this is the early to mid-1960s, the record player held Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Ferlin Husky, the Louvins and Marvin Rainwater.If they were L-Ps (those are the big ones, the long-plays) you could stack them one on another and listen for hours and hours. My Mom would do that, but of course you only got one side. The Beatles lived down the road at my uncle’s house, but those country tunes sang to me and the truth is they still do.

For decades before and after my childhood, men and women traveled to Nashville to sing their songs in hopes of fame and fortune. I was the first one in my house to buy a Kris Kristofferson record (good find), the last one to buy a Patsy Cline (a better find). I love Dolly and Merle and George and those crazy beautiful Louvin harmonies, I’d buy Emmylou singing the phone book and am in awe of Johnny and Roseanne and Carlene. Walk Through this World With Me, Crazy, Sing me Back Home, Coat of Many Colors, How’s the World treating you, These Hands, and I know Hank Snow and Roy Acuff and all of Hank Williams because those songs all belong to my Dad. I could sing you the Wabash Cannonball right now. Seriously. I’ve never been to Nashville, but know it true. It’s cool those country music people like hockey, I look for Vince Gill and Amy Grant whenever I’m watching a game that’s in Nashville.

As I grow older, I prefer the songwriter versions of the songs (as above), they seem more authentic, more Louvin. Maybe it’s my Dad’s influence, he’d always say if there’s no fiddle the band isn’t ready to play. Thanks, Nashville, for a lifetime of story songs that reach all the way to the heart. It’s been a wonderful ride.

MARCH 7 PARKATTI parkatti marincin

MARTIN MARINCIN PLAYER CARD

marincin player card mar 7

Parkatti’s numers are evens and ES is 5×5, but there’s been a slight downturn in numbers for Marincin in recent days. Still, this player remains the exception (so far) to the rule about defensemen that states you have to wait 2+ seasons for them to arrive. This guy looks so calm, so composed, so worthy, that he’s really made a mockery of the LH side of the Oilers blue.

THE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

oilers blue vollman sledge mar 18Click for full size, the bubble represents Corsi on. The graph shows Marincin’s zone starts at 44-ish% and he’s facing the tough competition. If he did this for an entire season I’d be hammering for Calder consideration, and honestly these numbers—on this team—are worthy of an award.

pitlick7

Stu MacGregor has taken quite the beating in the last couple of years, and not to be an ass but I did encourage people to wait and see (five year rule, another rule!). It would seem that Taylor Hall is going to have some company from that 2010 entry draft. If Marincin plays for several years at this level, and Pitlick (in photo) can make it as a bottom 6F, I’d say we could start calling the 2010 NHL entry draft a success. It’s also encouraging that Anton Lander (2009 second rounder) is getting some more playing time in the NHL. simpson9

We should be hearing about some signings soon. NCAA kids like Dillon Simpson have some games to go (on the way to the Frozen Four) but there are unsigned free agents signing daily. It would be a very good sign for the Oilers to get one of the good ones, seems every year these guys sign in Anaheim or Vancouver or Minnesota or New Jersey. Edmonton has signed Justin Schultz, Taylor Fedun and (AHL) Mark Arcobello in recent seasons, so it can be an effective procurement tool.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

adams1234

Oiler game day, Oil Kings getting ready for the playoffs, lots of things to talk about this morning at 10 (TSN 1260). Scheduled to appear:

• Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. We’ll talk Marincin, the first round pick and MacT’s next steps.
  • Steve Toll, Edmonton Rush. Steve will update us on Braver than Brave.
  • JR Lind, Nashville Post. We’ll talk Preds, Seth Jones and lent in the south.
  • Cam Moon, Red Deer Rebels pbp. A one-game playoff for the right to play the Oil Kings? Sounds fun!

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. I’m looking forward to it, tune in!

492 Responses to "PREDATORS AT OILERS, G70 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris:
    All I know is, if the draft is four players deep, I’d sleep well if the Flames were picking 5th.

Agreed-that’s how I see it. I’d be happy with any of those top 4.

2. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: 1. Reinhart
    2. Ekblad
    3. Draisaitl
    4. Bennett
    5. Virtanen

I’d be happy with any of those, and you know who I’m really warming up to? Nikolaj Ehlers

Bennett’s OHL line is 117gp 54-77-131 with 205PIMs. All good, but he is smaller and his scouting report seems a little repetitive which gives me pause. “Bennett is an energetic, skilled winger who is quick on his feet and has deceptive speed. He generates chances with his quickness, awareness and constant effort. He’s not flashy, but energetic and does possess an excellent release.”

I think the Flames end up with either Fleury or Virtanen. Either one fills a big hole in their development system.

3. The Great One says:

jp: You gotta figure a flood is coming (taking your pee analogy a little further).

Weak stream is also a likely outcome.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: So assuming the Oilers win tonight, that means that, lottery notwithstanding, they would draft 3rd.

Let’s say that Buffalo wants a C and takes Reinhart. Then Florida, who have recently added Barkov and Huberdeau decide on Ekblad, that means that Draisaitl falls to #3.

Even if Draisaitl goes 1st, it means that one of Ekblad or Reinhart falls to #3 and I don’t think this Oilers team is worse by adding either of those players.

Provided they don’t draft 4th they should be able to get one of the top three players this year.

4th is ok. Bennett looks good.

It’s 5th you need to stay away from unless you are comfortable with Nylander.

5. RexLibris says:

As I see it, this draft year is bonus. The Oilers have had their shots at adding foundational pieces, and last season were rescued by a deep draft. This year, they get one more piece to help further bridge the massive talent gap that was left from years of poor drafting and development.

They need to make this one count and this is why I’m more in favour of adding a C because Gagner is as good as gone and there isn’t so much as an impersonation of a 2C in the system to replace him, with all due respect to Arcobello.

6. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris,

Both Bobby Mac and Button list Bennett as a C, but then again, Button has got Leon as a LW so who the hell knows.

7. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 4th is ok. Bennett looks good.

It’s 5th you need to stay away from unless you are comfortable with Nylander.

Enter the Calgary Flames. They look poised to finish in that range. The difference is they need a RW prospect with a high ceiling as badly as the Oilers need a center.

8. Gerta Rauss says:

Florida ties it at 1

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: 1. Reinhart
    2. Ekblad
    3. Draisaitl
    4. Bennett
    5. Virtanen

He’s all over (Ehlers). I tweeted about this a couple of weeks ago after Hockey Prospects put him at 3rd OV.

There’s some concern he’s riding Druin’s coattails.

10. RexLibris says:

Gerta Rauss:
    RexLibris,

Yeah, I’ve always assumed he was a C, and that scouting excerpt is old (August 2013).

11. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Florida ties it at 1

Florida now up 2-1

Yay Florida!!

12. frjohnk says:

13. RexLibris says:

Eberle standing up for Gazdic.

Too bad Yakupov doesn’t do that sort of thing.

14. delooper says:

frjohnk:

Heck, that conclusion will still be true if the Oilers hold any lead at all.

15. jp says:

Eberle feeling bigger with Gadzooks over his shoulder…

Can’t complain though I suppose.

16. spoiler says:

Ebs on Gaustad… love it!

17. delooper says:

RexLibris:
    Eberle standing up for Gazdic.

Too bad Yakupov doesn’t do that sort of thing.

What a floater, that Yakupov. I haven’t noticed him all game.

18. Gerta Rauss says:

frjohnk:

I was going to wait for the final buzzer to post that, but yeah..:)

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Draisaitl is a C. ignore evidence to the contrary.

tonight he was the one taking draws in his own end with the game on the line. he’s played nothing but C all year. He describes himself as a C. He’s a C.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Leon Draisaitl ‏@Drat_29 7m
    Ask me if we play playoffs this year ? You know the answer

21. spoiler says:

Nice to see Gagner pull up instead of chasing the puck deep, and then trap the Pred right into Hall at the blue line. Game wasn’t on the line with 30 seconds to go, but nice to see some defensive smarts and discipline. Good Habits.

22. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Draisaitl is a C. ignore evidence to the contrary.

I can’t help but read this and think of him on Sesame Street. Brought to you by the letter “C” and the number “29″.

23. Suntory Hanzo says:

Do they still play the post game interviews live somewhere? last time I couldn’t find them on the Oilers site/ youtube

24. jp says:

delooper: What a floater, that Yakupov.I haven’t noticed him all game.

Seems to be even on the night though. Baby steps.

25. Suntory Hanzo says:

Suntory Hanzo,

found it. I’m lame.

26. jp says:

The Great One: Weak stream is also a likely outcome.

That’s OK, he only needs enough flow for the 3rd line.

Any thoughts of him as a regular in the top 6 are pie in the sky stuff.

27. steveb12344 says:

Suntory Hanzo,

It’s that sometimes the website doesn’t have it for road games.

28. spoiler says:

frjohnk: “If” this 5-1 lead with 3 minutes holds, the oilers will be 10-4-3 in their last 17 games.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Suntory Hanzo:

30. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler: I have it on–good authority–that there has been no improvement or change to this team over the course of the season.

I think we turned a corner with tonights game

31. Marcus Oilerius says:

Panthers up 3-1!

32. Gerta Rauss says:

3-1 Florida after 2

*edit-late!!!

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Scott Cullen ‏@tsnscottcullen 4m
    Oilers C Sam Gagner 2 G, 7 A in past 8 GP

Big finish for Sam?

Get his trade value up?

34. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: I think we turned a corner with tonights game

35. thejonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Ehlers has not played on Drouin’s line for most of the season. He’s incredibly fast.

36. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: I know there is some puck luck in there and good goaltending, but 10-4-3 is something, isn’t it..?

The schedule has a lot to do with it.

Lost convincingly and routinely to the high end contenders.

37. spoiler says:

I wish the Devs would stop playing Brodeur… I don’t want to remember him like this.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks.

I heard he was on Druin’s wing since Druin switch to C.

something to keep track of.

39. spoiler says:

striatic: The schedule has a lot to do with it.Played lots of teams either flat out of the playoffs or on the bubble during that time.Lost convincingly and routinely to the high end contenders.

The first step is winning the games they should win. They’re doing that now.

40. The Great One says:

striatic: The schedule has a lot to do with it.

Lost convincingly and routinely to the high end contenders.

The Bataan Death March starts next week.

Sharks

Ducks

Rangers

Sharks

Ducks

Coyotes

Ducks

Avalanche

Kings

Canucks

41. VanOil says:

Draft predictions;

Buffalo: Reinhart (stocked at D + Reinhart can easily be described as BPA)
    Florida: Ekblad (stocked at C)
    Oil: Draisaitl (size in the top 6, eventually)

NYI: ??? Bennett BPA
    Flames: Big winger

Edmonton’s goalies or the lottery might change all that. NYI have an easier schedule but are broken. Flames have basically the same schedule as the Oil but don’t have the goal keeping. It is going to be a tight tank battle.

42. frjohnk says:

Maybe the oilers don’t deserve a few of those 10 wins over the last 17 games, but I’ll take them. Some sort of winning culture at the end of the season is more important than hoping they get the highest draft pick possible. I think it will do wonders for the core of this group to have the confidence at the beginning of the year to believe they can compete for a playoff spot. MacT will have to help them, though.

The real test for this team will be the last ten games.

Anaheim 3x
    San Jose 2x
    LA
    Rangers
    Phoenix
    Colorado
    Vancouver

43. steveb12344 says:

The Great One: The Bataan Death March starts next week.

Sharks

Ducks

Rangers

Sharks

Ducks

Coyotes

Ducks

Avalanche

Kings

Canucks

Should be a great test for the guys.

spoiler:

His wife’s sister said the exact same thing.

45. SaskFan says:

If you go to the hf boards prospect thread on Sam Bennet there are many people who have watched his whole OHL career and say that he has never played a game at wing since his first pre-season. He played wing when he played on the same team as Mcdavid in midget.

46. thejonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Nope. They tried Ehlers with Drouin, but they never seemed to click. They were on the same line last game I saw, so they might try that during the playoffs.

Gadoury is the guy who has benefited from playing with Drouin. A late pick-up who had 20 goals in 19 games.

Drouin plays the whole PP (all 2 minutes), so Ehlers has benefited from that. Ehlers is obviously not a prospect the Oilers will be interested in: small winger.

47. spoiler says:

Dal Colle has been played at Centre recently; I wouldn’t count him out of anything.

48. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler: The first step is winning the games they should win. They’re doing that now.

That’s how I look at it as well. Our team is horribly deficient, a million miles from being a legitimate contender, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

49. Marcus Oilerius says:

The Great One,

50. BONVIE says:

That first line for the Oilers of Hall-Gagner-Perron sure has looked good ever since they put them together.

Jones and Lander also looked very good playing with Nuge and Eberle.

51. spoiler says:

Lowetide: His wife’s sister said the exact same thing.

lol… I don’t blame her, It’s horrible.

52. fifthcartel says:

If they have to call up two forwards I’m betting on Pitlick and Horak.

also, really thought Lander played well.

53. The Great One says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    The Great One,

Does any team in the league have a stretch tougher than that?Only the Canucks aren’t a playoff team.

Likely not.

But at some point you have to pay for an easy schedule earlier in the the season.

54. striatic says:

frjohnk: Anaheim 3x

These games will tell the story of the season, as did the games against Anaheim to close out last season.

Anaheim seems to be struggling a little lately, but top teams busting slumps by beating the Oilers is old news now.

55. stevezie says:

That about right?

56. SpotTheLoon says:

Lowetide: His wife’s sister said the exact same thing.

Zing! Well played. Well played. lol

57. book¡je says:

I was in a meeting and missed the whole game. However, given the score and the recent winning record, I think its time we look towards next year with great expectations. With Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson, there is no way we aren’t back to the Stanley Cup finals soon!!

58. spoiler says:

stevezie: I missed the game, but I noticed Gagner picked up a point, we played 7 D, Fraser only got 13 minutes and Lander got 19. Those seem like stories of the game to me, although Nuge’s 3 points is nice.
    That about right?

Fasth looks very very solid.

59. B S says:

and we keep ending up in the Psych wing damn-it.

60. striatic says:

Marcus Oilerius: Does any team in the league have a stretch tougher than that? Only the Canucks aren’t a playoff team.

All but 3 of the last 12 games are going to played at home, so there’s that at least.

61. SaskFan says:

The main comparable for Sam Bennet from people who consistently watch him is a bigger faster Mike Richards or Doug Gilmour. I’d take either player any day of the week.

62. stevezie says:

spoiler,

Thanks.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

cool. I don’t follow the team. Just picked up on the player after Hockeyprospect ran him up to 3rd OV way ahead of the other services, then saw some questions about Druin (can’t recall where).

good to hear he’s doing it on his own.

Completely agree. Not in the Oilers cards. But, that’s a bad reason to take an interest in hockey players.

64. spoiler says:

B S: spoiler: I feel like we’re trying to find our way out of the Bio Sci building at the U of A.
    and we keep ending up in the Psych wing damn-it.

I dare anyone to do it from the top floor without using an elevator. The Psych wing was just bizarre. Probably all those little observation rooms…

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: His wife’s sister said the exact same thing.

I don’t get it.

66. The Great One says:

Luke Gazdik had an interesting CF% of zero tonight.

CF 0 CA 9

67. B S says:

spoiler: I dare anyone to do it from the top floor without using an elevator.

Ha, easy, just be sure to wear a coat, it’s windy outside.

68. B S says:

The Great One:
    Luke Gazdik had an interesting CF% of zero tonight.

CF 0 CA 9

yeah, but how was his eye-glow index?

69. dangilitis says:

3 things:

1) Did Edmonton just sweep a season series? Has that happened in the last decade? Seriously, help me out here, it seems too improbable. No sympathy for Nashville, all due respect LT, their playing style ranks up there with Minnesota’s as most aggravating.

2) To intentionally play devil’s advocate, Gagner’s 5vs5 scoring/60 min is 1.52 to RNH’s 1.58. I presume RNH’s 5vs5 time has more often been spent with Hall. I get that the Oilers want to upgrade at center and that RNH has a higher ceiling and is already better defensively. But a little perspective, perhaps, suggests that Gagner had his jaw bashed in and no matter how well he does in the next 10 games (10 pts in last 11 games), no GM will care, and everyone will talk about his slow start, rightly or wrongly. Trading him at the draft or over the summer will get you back 20 cents on the dollar. So I the Oilers damn well better sign or trade for a legitimate #2C BEFORE trading away the best option at this position for the next year (and please, Oilers management, do not depend on the 1st round draft pick)

3) On this same train of thought, people have mentioned the obvious which is that Gagner is being showcased here, and more recently, that RNH and Ebs are being tested away from Hall to see what each are made of. What about the possibility that the team is actually hoping that RNH and Ebs can survive outside the Hall, while testing whether or not Gagner can tread water on Hall’s line against top competition, in the event that he can’t be traded. This thought scares me, as a small sample size will not convince me.

70. delooper says:

B S: yeah, but how was his eye-glow index?

He had great eye glow / 60 tonight. Nice pp eye glow / 60 as well.

71. dangilitis says:

B S,

Just find the main floor – it gets easier after that…

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This Florida-Sharks 3rd period is ridiculous. Luongo is playing the role of Scrivens here.

Fla hasn’t left it’s zone all period. Of course, the 4,000 straight penalties didn’t help.

Lu is just great. Hard not to cheer for him.

73. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Lu is just great. Hard not to cheer for him.

San Jose has 24 SOG in the 3rd period,,,and still counting.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: San Jose has 24 SOG in the 3rd period,,,and still counting.

Fear The Fin ‏@fearthefin 1m
    25 shots for the Sharks in the third period tonight thanks to all the power plays. New franchise record.

Annnnnd, they just scored. getting interesting. 3 minutes left.

75. The Great One says:

27 SOG and the Sharks get a goal.

76. Younger Oil says:

77. Hammers says:

stevezie:

That about right?

Gags got a good goal in front of net rebound , wrist shot from Maricin . They actually played Hockey and our goalie stopped what he was supposed to stop . Happy with both Lander & Klefbom .I won’t be surprised if they get points from some of the top teams if they keep playing for each other . Hendricks injured along with Yak so guessing Pitlick comes up or maybe Horak . Only point is how many points will they get and personally I would sooner see wins than diving for a better pick .

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Panthers win on the road against the sharks.

great for us!

79. The Great One says:

Panthers win.

80. VanOil says:

Younger Oil,

The Soo program seems excellent. Thanks for the article link.

81. judgedrude says:

Is this why +/- is such a bad stat?

Ference has 1 assist at even strength and is -1 in a 5-1 win. I don’t understand!?!?!?.

Of interest…a 5-1 loss for the Preds. Weber is +1.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Younger Oil,

Interesting to hear how advanced some hockey clubs are… as a sidebar. I wonder how many CHL teams have a staffed adv. stats guy… even if he is also the ticket manager or whatever.

Nurse is going to do fine under that team next year… hint hint.

ps. Dittrick had the job Chris Wescott is in now last year IIRC. so, he’s pretty tapped into the team I imagine.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

judgedrude:
    Is this why +/- is such a bad stat?

Ference has 1 assist at even strength and is -1 in a 5-1 win.I don’t understand!?!?!?.

Of interest…a 5-1 loss for the Preds.Weber is +1.

I’m guessing that is glitch in the system because of the non-goal-goal by Hall?

Otherwise, I can’t make sense of it.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

judgedrude:
    Is this why +/- is such a bad stat?

Of interest…a 5-1 loss for the Preds.Weber is +1.

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m guessing that is glitch in the system because of the non-goal-goal by Hall?

Otherwise, I can’t make sense of it.

nope… wrong guess.

It’s an IPP thing:

he wasn’t on the ice for the assist he was awarded (i.e., he made a play then went to the bench then goal goes in), but was on for the goal against.

either way, whether +/- is any good doesn’t hang on this.

85. judgedrude says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    nope… wrong guess.

It’s an IPP thing:

either way, whether +/- is any good doesn’t hang on this.

Ah thanks. So, in a 5-1 win Ference is the only minus on the team (and as above Weber was +1).

Interesting.

86. spoiler says:

Younger Oil: Missed the game tonight, was looking for highlights when I stumbled across this:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nurse-makes-good-on-promise-to-dominate-ohl/Glowing praise for the young man, and gives a look at his play beyond the boxscores. Very encouraging.“In particular, Dubas and the club’s manager of ticket sales and advanced analytics, Tyson Enfield, pay close attention to individual and team possession stats. Those, such as Corsi and Quality of Competition, reflect glowingly on the young defenceman.”“Averaging more than 27 minutes per game against the opposition’s best players, “with no exceptions,” night after night in all situations”“Relative to the competition he plays [against], he does extremely well. Far greater than 50 percent of the time, the puck is not in our end. To me, it doesn’t get much bigger than that. If we’re taking the other team’s best players and forcing them to play in their end and away from the puck, that’s a successful day.”

That’s a very nice find. Thank you.

87. Kris11 says:

Now that I am cheering for losses to improve draft position, they start to win.

That figures.

88. Ivan says:

steveb12344,

Well, at least we’ll be able to finish the year with the traditional beating of the Canucks!

89. tcho says:

spoiler,

Youngeroil – thanks for that. Solid positive arrows for Nurse.

90. theres oil in virginia says:

Eberle ES stats 2013-14:

1082:09 TOI
    16G 19A 35P
    0.89 G/60
    1.05 A/60
    1.94 P/60

Couturier ES stats 2013-14:

972:24 TOI
    9G 17A 26P
    0.56 G/60
    1.05 A/60
    1.60 P/60

Hopefully, we can soon put to bed the notion that Sean Couturier is currently as good as Eberle at ES scoring. Maybe he will be soon (Cout is just now 21 and Ebs is almost 24), but he’s not now. I also maintain that if you put Eberle on that Philly team, those numbers go up. Get Couturier please, but don’t trade Eberle for him, and certainly not straight up.

(The raw numbers are from nhl.com, and I made the calculations, so there may be a goof, but I was careful.)

91. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I like the player, I just don’t agree with these two assertions:
    1) Couturier has the offensive props that Eberle has
    2) Couturier for Eberle straight up is a good deal (offense trumps defense in trade value)

« Older Comments