PREDATORS AT OILERS, G70 13-14

My father and I shared a sense of humor, a love of baseball and hockey, and an appreciation of music. Country music. My Mom taught me about Little Richard and Elvis and Jerry Lee, but for Dad music all came from one place: Nashville, Tennessee.

At our house, this is the early to mid-1960s, the record player held Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Ferlin Husky, the Louvins and Marvin Rainwater.If they were L-Ps (those are the big ones, the long-plays) you could stack them one on another and listen for hours and hours. My Mom would do that, but of course you only got one side. The Beatles lived down the road at my uncle’s house, but those country tunes sang to me and the truth is they still do.

For decades before and after my childhood, men and women traveled to Nashville to sing their songs in hopes of fame and fortune. I was the first one in my house to buy a Kris Kristofferson record (good find), the last one to buy a Patsy Cline (a better find). I love Dolly and Merle and George and those crazy beautiful Louvin harmonies, I’d buy Emmylou singing the phone book and am in awe of Johnny and Roseanne and Carlene. Walk Through this World With Me, Crazy, Sing me Back Home, Coat of Many Colors, How’s the World treating you, These Hands, and I know Hank Snow and Roy Acuff and all of Hank Williams because those songs all belong to my Dad. I could sing you the Wabash Cannonball right now. Seriously. I’ve never been to Nashville, but know it true. It’s cool those country music people like hockey, I look for Vince Gill and Amy Grant whenever I’m watching a game that’s in Nashville.

As I grow older, I prefer the songwriter versions of the songs (as above), they seem more authentic, more Louvin. Maybe it’s my Dad’s influence, he’d always say if there’s no fiddle the band isn’t ready to play. Thanks, Nashville, for a lifetime of story songs that reach all the way to the heart. It’s been a wonderful ride.

MARCH 7 PARKATTI parkatti marincin

MARTIN MARINCIN PLAYER CARD

marincin player card mar 7

Parkatti’s numers are evens and ES is 5×5, but there’s been a slight downturn in numbers for Marincin in recent days. Still, this player remains the exception (so far) to the rule about defensemen that states you have to wait 2+ seasons for them to arrive. This guy looks so calm, so composed, so worthy, that he’s really made a mockery of the LH side of the Oilers blue.

THE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

oilers blue vollman sledge mar 18Click for full size, the bubble represents Corsi on. The graph shows Marincin’s zone starts at 44-ish% and he’s facing the tough competition. If he did this for an entire season I’d be hammering for Calder consideration, and honestly these numbers—on this team—are worthy of an award.

pitlick7

Stu MacGregor has taken quite the beating in the last couple of years, and not to be an ass but I did encourage people to wait and see (five year rule, another rule!). It would seem that Taylor Hall is going to have some company from that 2010 entry draft. If Marincin plays for several years at this level, and Pitlick (in photo) can make it as a bottom 6F, I’d say we could start calling the 2010 NHL entry draft a success. It’s also encouraging that Anton Lander (2009 second rounder) is getting some more playing time in the NHL. simpson9

We should be hearing about some signings soon. NCAA kids like Dillon Simpson have some games to go (on the way to the Frozen Four) but there are unsigned free agents signing daily. It would be a very good sign for the Oilers to get one of the good ones, seems every year these guys sign in Anaheim or Vancouver or Minnesota or New Jersey. Edmonton has signed Justin Schultz, Taylor Fedun and (AHL) Mark Arcobello in recent seasons, so it can be an effective procurement tool.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

adams1234

Oiler game day, Oil Kings getting ready for the playoffs, lots of things to talk about this morning at 10 (TSN 1260). Scheduled to appear:

• Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. We’ll talk Marincin, the first round pick and MacT’s next steps.
  • Steve Toll, Edmonton Rush. Steve will update us on Braver than Brave.
  • JR Lind, Nashville Post. We’ll talk Preds, Seth Jones and lent in the south.
  • Cam Moon, Red Deer Rebels pbp. A one-game playoff for the right to play the Oil Kings? Sounds fun!

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. I’m looking forward to it, tune in!

492 Responses to "PREDATORS AT OILERS, G70 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: Not often. That’s my point. The club was doing good things but the goaltending was horrible. It was as loose as a goose but if DD or JL had been able to save them in the WPG and TOR games (both winnable) maybe they settle in.

I think maybe we’ve forgotten how incredibly horrible Dubnyk was.

I haven’t forgotten. That Toronto game was disgusting. Pissed me off, and I don’t usually get like that. Must have been gut-wrenching for the team.

2. stephen sheps says:

LT, not to nitpick, but you’ve got Ekblad playing for the Otters, but if memory (and my eyes from last week) serves, he’s a Barrie Colt.

Love the rest of the list though. I’m hoping that the Fronts and the Generals are able to meet in the OHL playoffs. I’d really like to see Dal Colle play.

3. hags9k says:

Ferlin Husky… Sounds like a good name for the 50lb Northern Pike who swims mockingly past my lures and haunts my dreams.

Marincin is only going to get better. Stay the course with Yak and Jultz. They will figure it out, remember that those rookie seasons were cut in half by Gary.

theres oil in virginia: I haven’t forgotten.That Toronto game was disgusting.Pissed me off, and I don’t usually get like that.Must have been gut-wrenching for the team.

You bet. Turn those two results into wins and maybe they don’t spiral. I go back to that final pre-season game against Dallas (the one in OKC).

5. delooper says:

Kelly Willis is newish country music on par with Corby Lund that I like. Her version of “Truckstop Girl” is excellent.

6. The Great One says:

I think maybe we’ve forgotten how incredibly horrible Dubnyk was.

Other than a game against the Canucks, where the Oilers were outshot 44-23, and a game against the Kings where they were outshot 48-18, the first 15 games of the season were against weak EC opposition.

As soon as the schedule normalized with more games against good WC teams, the Oiler shooting differential went right into the toilet where it has stayed ever since.

7. Dipstick says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t have any real reason for it, but Draisaitl kind of reminds me of Martindale. *Shivers

8. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia:
    I finally found it.

The Wreck of the Old 97 by Hank Snow.I love pretty much every version of that song.

A bonus track, not Hank Snow, but country.Tex Ritter and Mantan Moreland singing “Boll Weevil”.

I think maybe we’ve forgotten how incredibly horrible Dubnyk was.

Other than a game against the Canucks, where the Oilers were outshot 44-23, a game against the Kings where they were outshot 48-18, the first 15 games of the season were against weak EC opposition.

Cool story…my uncle Harvey played stand up bass in Hank Snow’s band early on.

As a young tad I recall an impromptu jam session in my uncle’s living room when Snow came for a visit.

Left an indelible impression.

9. The Great One says:

Not too sure what happened there

The Great One:
    Not too sure what happened there

You’re saying the Oilers need Hank Snow?

11. Ryan says:

209 comments and the game hasn’t started yet… The Oilers are playing out the string during yet another lost season… I’ll be damned if Lowetide isn’t the pied piper. Lol. :)

12. OilClog says:

Watching OilChange and seeing Ales drive off.. I hate you Oilers

Sad face

13. The Great One says:

Lowetide: You’re saying the Oilers need Hank Snow?

Well, they already have a few stiffs…what’s one more?

14. stephen sheps says:

we all need hank snow

The Great One: Well, they already have a few stiffs…what’s one more?

Ha! DSF ftw!

16. delooper says:

My feeling is people generally see a resurgence in the Oilers. They’re more positive so more fans are coming out of the closet… and we have more posts.

Either that, or it’s all the country music talk.

17. delooper says:

Can normal humans post youtube videos in the comments?

18. theres oil in virginia says:

The Great One: Cool story…my uncle Harvey played stand up bass in Hank Snow’s band early on.
    Left an indelible impression.

It’s funny how kids usually don’t appreciate things like that until they get older. Like Yak meeting Jagr as a kid.

Can Hank Snow fix the PP? Sign the man!

19. Marcus Oilerius says:

I think maybe we’ve forgotten how incredibly horrible Dubnyk was.

I think those good games are less meaningful than those seasons the Oilers started 4-0.

20. russ99 says:

Not sure why I’m watching tonight, must be a glutton for punishment.

Plus it’s a long time before September comes and they may be worth watching again.

Besides, tonight it’s the Oilers vs, the team they’re trying to become… Lol

Good country music…

Lone Justice (and early Maria McKee solo records)
    Uncle Tupelo (who eventually bifurcated in Son Volt, and Wilco).
    Shelby Lynne (particularly, “I am Shelby Lynne”)

I’ll second Kelly Willis.

Steve Earle

She and Him. (Zooey Deschanel, better singer than actor, channeling LInda Ronstadt).

22. justDOit says:

delooper,

Roy Rogers would not like all these posts – too easy to make a fence out of them.

23. Ryan says:

Marcus Oilerius: But even if Dubnyk had been good or at least decent early, do you really believe that the subsequent 60 games would look any different in shots for/against?

Lowetide’s theory is that the early losing caused by the epically bad goaltending tandem of LaBarbara Streisand and Doobie prevented the Oilers players from buying into the coaching system and resulted in worse play that ensued.

That’s my recollection….

24. Clay says:

Ryan:
    209 comments and the game hasn’t started yet…The Oilers are playing out the string during yet another lost season…I’ll be damned if Lowetide isn’t the pied piper. Lol.

LT will be doing his posts from his little two storey retirement hut on Maui, and when he goes to the bank, someone will be there to open the door for him…

25. The Great One says:

Let’s all bear in mind that country and rock are nothing more than illegitimate children of the purest musical form in North America.

26. Marcus Oilerius says:

Ryan,

That’s possible, but even then it paints the character of the team in an unflattering light and doesn’t really do much to salvage Eakins’ rep. A veteran coach would be more likely to be heard, which is on MacT.

27. russ99 says:

“Sorry we couldn’t remember “The Wreck of the Old 97.”
    Why, hell! You guys can learn it next time when you come back!”

I’m not a big country music fan, butI do like Johnny Cash’s version on San Quentin.

The Great One:

I’m a huge Robert Johnson fan, but at the time, he wasn’t doing anything especially new, just the virtuosity he played with.

28. justDOit says:

The Great One:

Don’t forget the brother of blues – jazz!

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 24s

Yakupov (ankle) will not play tonight.

30. Ryan says:

Clay: I imagine that once (or if) this team becomes worth following, this little blog will be hitting 4 digits in comments.

Lol, as long as he doesn’t pull a Barry Fraser on us. :)

Seriously though, this blog will explode into pieces if the Oilers ever make the playoffs.

31. danieldelair says:

Way off the topic of the thread and maybe been answered already, but was a verdict reached on how many of the four call-ups the Oilers have burned post-trade deadline?

you’re making me cry.

33. Ryan says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Ryan,

That’s possible, but even then it paints the character of the team in an unflattering light and doesn’t really do much to salvage Eakins’ rep.A veteran coach would be more likely to be heard, which is on MacT.

I like Eakins about as much as Craig Button, so you’re preaching to the converted here.

The Oilers began moving deck chairs around early on iirc. When was Smid moved? I don’t think they deal Smid if the season has a chance.

danieldelair:

Still in limbo, Daniel. I think they have one left.

36. The Great One says:

russ99:
    “Sorry we couldn’t remember “The Wreck of the Old 97.”
    Why, hell! You guys can learn it next time when you come back!”

“New” wasn’t a concept that mattered much.

That’s a modern putsch.

Virtuosity was everything.

Like Ry Cooder here:

37. russ99 says:

Got to see a few of those Sochi medals fairly closely this weekend, they’re pretty sweet.

3 medallists from the neighborhood I grew up on the South Side of Chicago were in our neighborhood St. Patrick’s day parade.

38. Ryan says:

I’m still disappointed that I pulled a wiki leaks on the Yakupov situation and still no props for me lol.

39. spoiler says:

Ellis was trying to make sure Eberle was okay, it looks like.

Ryan:

Sorry Ryan, missed it. Busy thread!

41. The Great One says:

The sound track for tonight’s game brought to you by Ry Cooder and a cast of dozens.

42. delooper says:

The Oilers in yet another dangerous powerplay situation!

43. Kitchener says:

SH chance on schedule.

44. spoiler says:

Fasth looks like a much better passing and handling goaltender than we have had for awhile.

45. delooper says:

The Gazdic PP unit is better than the others!

46. jake70 says:

delooper:
    The Gazdic PP unit is better than the others!

Message sent by Eakins.

47. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan:

You needed to throw a country music video in there to catch someone’s attention!

48. jake70 says:

spoiler:

I think it was poster Mr. Racki, back in the dark dubnyk days of the first 20 games, repeatedly calling for a good puck handling goalie. When a goalie can handle the puck, you can really see the impact.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins sends out the pluggers on the PP to send a message.

Who gets to send out a new PP system to send a message to Eakins?

50. Lois Lowe says:

Ryan,

You mention it often enough that it needs no more discussion. You’re practically Darren Dreger.

51. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Sorry Ryan, missed it. Busy thread!

No nothing new yet, I just meant how I beat Dreger by a couple weeks in a previous thread here before the trade deadline. :)

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dipstick:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t have any real reason for it, but Draisaitl kind of reminds me of Martindale.*Shivers

Martindale in his draft year:

61 19-41-60 (.9836 PPG)

Draisaitl:

64 38-67-105 (1.6406)

ummm… that’s a pretty big difference. Start coming up with reasons or park your shivers.

53. delooper says:

Here’s an idea for a hockey blog. Call it “Kung-fu hockey”. Analyze hit-by-hit, how a kung-fu master, or perhaps Jackie Chan might have handled a body check differently. Include video alternate-reality versions of the hit.

54. WeirsBeard says:

Ryan:

Oh, I remember the epic threads of 2006. What a run those comments. Great drink recipes, and the birth of so many Oilogospherisms. Oh memories, when the Oil were a team that could win games…

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, Fraser… despite his growl… blows it under physical pressure… gets pissy about it and takes a penalty.

quality player.

56. hunter1909 says:

Re just having noticed Eakins yelling from behind the bench: According to Chinese practical philosophy: ‘a man who can only shout cannot think clearly during the moment of truth’.

57. Ryan says:

Lois Lowe:
    Ryan,

I know sorry… Last time, I pat myself on the back. :)

I can’t elaborate, but I have what appears to be a pretty good source, though I don’t see them very often.

58. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

quality player.

It wouldn’t be Kevin Lowe’s Oilers without at least one abjectly useless defenceman.

59. delooper says:

hunter1909:
    Re just having noticed Eakins yelling frombehind the bench:According to Chinese practical philosophy: ‘a man who can only shout cannot think clearly during the moment of truth’.

No wonder the Chinese are so dominant at NHL coaching.

60. OilBomber says:

jake70,

I think we have a new #1 PP unit.

Aaaaand there is the way to late irrelevant reply. Thanks WordPress. I requested access 24 hours ago.

61. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

quality player.

Time to put in Hank Snow.

62. Gerta Rauss says:

Ryan,

Can you ask them what we’re getting in return for the young Russian..?

63. Old School G says:

delooper:
    Here’s an idea for a hockey blog.Call it “Kung-fu hockey”.Analyze hit-by-hit, how a kung-fu master, or perhaps Jackie Chan might have handled a body check differently.Include video alternate-reality versions of the hit.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

64. steveb12344 says:

Ryan: I know sorry…Last time, I pat myself on the back.

You said Yak would be traded. He’s still an Oiler!

Not sure why you think you deserve props.

Ryan: I know sorry…Last time, I pat myself on the back.

65. hunter1909 says:

russ99: The Great One:

Indian native tribal music, we presume.

Stick to hockey, and look like less of a fool than you do here, for example.

66. hunter1909 says:

delooper: No wonder the Chinese are so dominant at NHL coaching.

Just wait.

67. Bank Shot says:

Fasth showing the team how to play physical. Haha

68. delooper says:

Old School G: Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

It could be episodic. Maybe modelled on Shanahan’s discipline videos. “Hi, I’m Jet Li, the star of hundreds of high-grossing Kung-Fu movies….”

69. striatic says:

That was clearly Goaltender Interference.

As in, Fasth clearly interfered with Hornqvist.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Time to put in Hank Snow.

Not Garth?

71. Ryan says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Ryan,

Can you ask them what we’re getting in return for the young Russian..?

I’ll try. I instantly regretted not asking that afterwards, but I was so shocked, it didn’t occur to me in the moment.

You’d have to assume it would have something to do with a dman or 2c.

72. tcho says:

Oilers getting lots of practice playing in their own zone this period.

73. hunter1909 says:

The Great One,

Don’t mean to attack you personally man, but there is no purest form of anything musical because everything to do with that is debatable. C+W, like jazz are American indigenous forms of perfectly valid music.

As a practical Chinese philosopher once said: ‘There are only two kinds of music: good music and bad music’.

74. delooper says:

Hendricks isn’t stupid. That was nice.

75. The Great One says:

hunter1909: Indian native tribal music, we presume.

Stick to hockey, and look like less of a fool than you do here, for example.

Indian recording studios have had a very difficult time gaining traction.

Perhaps you can explain why.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

That was sarcasm Ryan. As Steve B pointed out, he’s still an Oiler.

77. spoiler says:

The Hobbit!!!!!!!!

78. The Great One says:

hunter1909:
    The Great One,

Of course they’re all valid, but they’re all derivates of the blues.

79. hunter1909 says:

See? Once this blog understands that hockey is only the means to an end, Garner scores a great goal.

Gagner (Marincin, Perron)

81. tcho says:

Put those whips away for a bit, ladies. Samwise “et le but!”

82. thejonrmcleod says:

It’s nice that Gagner scored against Nashville. Ups his value as a piece in the inevitable Shea Weber trade.

83. hunter1909 says:

The Great One: Of course they’re all valid, but they’re all derivates of the blues.

Blues is African-American slave music based.

84. delooper says:

Marcinin’s 3rd point. He must be feeling pretty magical.

85. delooper says:

Hmm, and I thought Country and Western came out of a food processor.

86. Marcus Oilerius says:

Ryan,

I’m just confused and thinking aloud.

When I hear Eakins and mostly agree with what he says and does, I think, alright, not a bad coach.

Then I look at the results on the season, traditional stats, advanced stats, anything … and maybe I’m just lashing out for someone to blame, but it’s so hard to believe we’re this bad a team with Paul Maurice or even Ralph Krueger behind the bench. I know the Jets have come down to Earth, the thing with Maurice is that he’s got credibility. He didn’t do bad in Toronto with that roster, he won the Cup in Carolina in part due to good coaching and helping the Canes fire themselves up for game 7. Young as he might be, that demands respect. Even Kreuger’s results were better, despite having shaky advanced stats.

I’ll tell you one thing – Kreuger also handled the press )and thus, possibly stress) better.

87. G Money says:

Nifty goal by the Hobbit. In front of the net, tracked the rebound, flipped it to his backhand and in.

That’s kind of what I expect from him in the offensive zone, and haven’t seen it in a while. Hope his game is coming around.

88. delooper says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Ryan,
    I’m just confused and thinking aloud.

No crime in that. The creation process is **always** confusing. IMO things look to be working out. People bring in too many emotional attachments to things like sports teams, personal finance and such.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Good God They are going to Re-sign Fraser.

John Shannon is moron growing on a seriously stupid clump of dirt.

90. Clay says:

Lowetide: you’re making me cry.

The good kind of cry.

91. VanOil says:

Its not Kung-Fu but here is a clip of a shift of beautiful hockey skills from Mackinnon tonight. 3 shots, 3 broken ankle dangles 3 passes and a forehand to backhand goal.

Altitude TV did a breakdown with the Accu Weather tele-prompter. I can’t access it online, one insight they offered was that if the point man has his lane blocked the Avs set play is to dump it behind the net. Mackinnon knew this and go there first.

92. Ryan says:

steveb12344: You said Yak would be traded. He’s still an Oiler!

Not sure why you think you deserve props.

What we’ve subsequently heard is that Yakupov is available, he’s been shopped by the Oilers including prior to the trade deadline, and he’s unlikely to be an Oiler next season.

The fact that he’s still an Oiler and my source aside still likely to be an Oiler next season is the reality that his return is not good.

Dreger doesn’t talk out of his ass and he’s validated pretty much everything I’ve told you guys two weeks before him.

93. hunter1909 says:

Marcus Oilerius: But firing yet another coach looks so so sooo horribly bad. The press would refer to it for decades.

Not if the idiots hire the right coach.

As things stand(ho hum) this franchise is staring at a 25 year stretch of a single pathetic trip to the finals(Canucksville and nothing more); therefore I would respectfully put forth that firing another dumbassed post-dynasty whatever isn’t going to really add up to a whole lot of anything.

Also; the press right now are saying little more than Lowetide’s blog has been saying for the past eons. They’re not going to magically shut up now, not when they’re smelling blood coming from Katz’s astonishingly uncool NHL operation.

As far as Katz goes, it’s like he was supposed to be cool lol, but ends up coming across like Bono.

94. Ryan says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Ryan,

I’m just confused and thinking aloud.

Then I look at the results on the season, traditional stats, advanced stats, anything … and maybe I’m just lashing out for someone to blame, but it’s so hard to believe we’re this bad a team with Paul Maurice or even Ralph Krueger behind the bench.I know the Jets have come down to Earth, the thing with Maurice is that he’s got credibility.He didn’t do bad in Toronto with that roster, he won the Cup in Carolina in part due to good coaching and helping the Canes fire themselves up for game 7.Young as he might be, that demands respect.Even Kreuger’s results were better, despite having shaky advanced stats.

But firing yet another coach looks so so sooo horribly bad.The press would refer to it for decades.

The Oilers are sort of in a double bind in that regard, aren’t they?

Look bad by firing another coach or heading into next season with a coach who hasn’t really pushed the dial forward in any measurable capacity.

95. RexLibris says:

thejonrmcleod:

A little respect please. The guy just scored his 100th career goal.

Nashville is going to have to throw in something else to even that up.

96. tcho says:

Fire drill!

97. spoiler says:

No rebound from Fasth there when the Oil needed a whistle. Another thing Doobie wasn’t great at,

98. delooper says:

I hereby predict that if the Oilers’ goalies continue to get shutouts, they’ll win more than half of their games.

99. RexLibris says:

Bryzgalov gets the shutout tonight.

There you go Garth Snow. The free-agent goalie for your summer.

100. Halfwise says:

Could Eakins be a better coach? I mean, can he grow, learn, do better? I get the criticisms but he’s more likely to improve than regress. Get the man some help and some better players.

101. delooper says:

I’m soooo hoping for Smyth.

102. RexLibris says:

delooper:

I hereby predict that all remaining Oiler powerplays will feature Ryan Smyth heavily.

103. RexLibris says:

104. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Ryan: What I said was that I had a source who told me that the Oilers would move Yakupov either at the trade deadline or at the draft.

What we’ve subsequently heard is that Yakupov is available, he’s been shopped by the Oilers includingprior to the trade deadline, and he’s unlikely to be an Oiler next season.

105. spoiler says:

Nuge off the schneid.

106. G Money says:

Nuge! Off the schneid!

107. G Money says:

Doh.

Nugent-Hopkins (Eberle, Larsen)

109. delooper says:

Where’s Gazdic??!?!?1??!? Who is this Eberle fellow on the power play!?!?!?!/

Ah well, it ended well enough.

110. tcho says:

Beauty feed there from Eberle.

111. SaskFan says:

jake70,

Message recieved!

112. RexLibris says:

Bad penalty call. The Pred player had a mosquito on his skate. Gordon was worried about West NIle and did him a favour.

113. Marcus Oilerius says:

Of course the Oilers come storming out guns blazing and make me look like an idiot.

114. delooper says:

Marcus Oilerius:

You give the Oilers too much credit!

115. spoiler says:

G Money: Doh.

I’m just happy we agree on the spelling, lol.

116. The Great One says:

hunter1909: Sorry to have to piss on your cornflakes, but C+W comes from hillbilly gospel music. Hillbillies generally came from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, each in their own way influencing the genre from their own individual cd collections.

Blues is African-American slave music based.

117. delooper says:

I think I like Hendricks.

118. Gerta Rauss says:

Awesome…3-0 and the penalty never happened.

119. Marcus Oilerius says:

Klefbom looked good twice now in that period. Nice defensive plays last shift culminating in that 6-on-5, and also a good pinch to keep the puck in when that Predator was missing a stick.

120. RexLibris says:

Well, we’ll know what the Hockey Gods (read: Toronto) think of the Oilers in a moment.

121. delooper says:

Wow, goal Taylor Hall.

122. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Awesome…3-0 and the penalty never happened.

Could’ve been even more heartbreaking than that for the Preds.

123. delooper says:

Is that reviewable?

124. RexLibris says:

delooper:
    I think I like Hendricks.

Do you like Hendricks? Or do you like like Hendricks?

125. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Awesome…3-0 and the penalty never happened.

huh…I didn’t think the penalty would count….

126. hunter1909 says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: Falsifiable predictions really aren’t your thing. Don’t break your arm patting your backside.

I know someone with a bridge for sale.

127. delooper says:

It’s not reaaaaally like yet, but I LIKE Hendricks.

So what rules allowed the goal to stand and the penalty to stand?

128. RexLibris says:

Fraser’s Truc/60 is out of this world tonight.

He’s killing the Corgis tonight. Literally. It is as if he is beating small puppies to a grisly end.

129. hunter1909 says:

The Great One: Without African influences, country music would still be endless renditions of Danny Boy.

You obviously know NOTHING about music, aside from bone headed generalizations. Is this the exact same way you talk about hockey?

130. RexLibris says:

Can’t wait to read tomorrow about how sitting Yakupov led to this Oilers win.

131. delooper says:

Is it just me or do the Oilers not look like a good hockey team?

132. RexLibris says:

Nice pressure by Lander after Nugent-Hopkins lost the puck.

133. oilspillcali says:

A bit off topic, but can we just try Marnicin on the PP like just one time please?

134. delooper says:

The ref waived-off the goal, so why is it not 2-0? er… 2-1.

135. RexLibris says:

delooper:
    Is it just me or do the Oilers not look like a good hockey team?

You know, now that you mention it…

I thought something seemed a little amiss this season. Huh…I wonder if anyone else has noticed?

136. delooper says:

oilspillcali:

They probably don’t want to complicate his life in the NHL yet. Let him settle into a simple role first.

137. RexLibris says:

I have a theory about how to win a hockey game. It involves players successfully completing a pass of more than six feet from a defenseman to a forward.

138. linkfromhyrule says:

who would have ever guessed that a nashville-edmonton game would actually be intense! There is actually a fast pace to this game, and it isn’t in one direction! Some ugly play on both sides but who cares this one has actually been an exciting game

that powerplay tho

it didn’t make me cringe like it normally does.

139. hunter1909 says:

I’ll bet Nashville’s public address announcer calls horse races.

140. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: huh…I didn’t think the penalty would count….

That’s bizarre that the time goes back on the clock but the penalty still happens.

141. delooper says:

I do not understand how this score is 3-1. It should be 2-1 as far as my understanding of the rules go.

That said, so far it’s confirming my developing opinion of the Oilers : they’re past the first hump in the rebuild. They’re now an okay hockey team. Not good, but not bad at all.

142. spoiler says:

hunter1909: I’ll bet Nashville’s public address announcer calls horse races.

You know the game is in Edmonton right?

143. Gerta Rauss says:

3-1 now for Calgary over Buffalo with 6 min to go.

The Oilers can win as many games as they like down the stretch here as long as we get a pick in the top 4

No score in San Jose yet but Florida is in tough tonight…we could be in 28th before the evening is over.

144. The Great One says:

linkfromhyrule:

that powerplay tho

it didn’t make me cringe like it normally does.

Two shitty teams who have nothing to play for.

Somebody has to win.

145. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Draisaitl with 2 assists in a 5-3 win over Red Deer.

You EDM Oil King fans are going to see a lot of him now.

146. delooper says:

The announcer is “explaining” what happened but is there an actual rule that allows for Hall’s goal?

147. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper:

That said, so far it’s confirming my developing opinion of the Oilers : they’re past the first hump in the rebuild.They’re now an okay hockey team.Not good, but not bad at all.

Then Nashville scored on the PP.

3-1 Oilers.

148. RexLibris says:

Flames up 3-1 against Buffalo.

149. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Draisaitl with 2 assists in a 5-3 win over Red Deer.

You EDM Oil King fans are going to see a lot of him now.

Rom, I was hoping for this result.

I really would like to see him play live, get a chance to see the little habits and things that don’t show up on the scoresheet.

150. delooper says:

Gerta Rauss: The Oilers were up 2-0 when Hall scored, but the ref thought it hit the post and out so he waived it off. The play went on for another couple minutes, and when the whistle went(Oilers penalty) they reviewed the play, and Hall’s shot actually went in the net. This is reviewable. The goal counts, 3-0 Oilers.

The Nashville scored on the PP.

3-1 Oilers.

So say this game ends, and Nashville wins 15-3. Can the officials review it after the game is over, and decide that 13 Oilers shots were actually goals, and change the score to 16-15 Oilers?

Can they do it a week after the game is over?

I guess I don’t understand. I thought reviews had to happen after a play is blown down. If a play is not blown-down, it isn’t reviewable.

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Rom, I was hoping for this result.

I’m pretty excited. We’ll get a lot of Oiler scouting reports on him now.

The trick will be to separate the signal from the noise and hope the Oilers scouting staff can do the same.

Anyone know if these games will be broadcast nationally?

152. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper,

The review DID happen after the play was blown down…it just happens that over a minute had elapsed and Fraser took a penalty in the interim.

153. spoiler says:

An Eastern scout watching Klefbom per Spector.

154. Gerta Rauss says:

3-1 final now in Calgary.

No help from the Islanders tonight.

We can pretty much give last place to Buffalo at this point.

We need Calgary to keep winning

155. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Televised nationally?

I hope not. He’s ours! OURS, MY PRECIOUS!

156. delooper says:

Gerta Rauss:
    delooper,

Is it written down somewhere explicitly that I’m wrong? I’m confused. Where is Steve Smith when you need him?

157. RexLibris says:

Gerta Rauss:
    3-1 final now in Calgary.

No help from the Islanders tonight.

We can pretty much give last place to Buffalo at this point.

We need Calgary to keep winning

Just not this Saturday, right?

RexLibris: Rom, I was hoping for this result.

Retweeted by jjmoi
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

Matt Hendricks (leg) will not return to tonight’s game.

160. striatic says:

Lander very impressive his last shift.

161. Suntory Hanzo says:

Lander does a lot of (what should be obvious to all players) plays well.

162. RBB says:

I can’t cite the rule, but I do believe the goal can be reviewed once the play is dead.

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Televised nationally?

I hope not. He’s ours! OURS, MY PRECIOUS!

Ok… well, how about regionally.

Anything just on rogers local tv isn’t picked up by the magically free streamers.

164. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper,

The league in Toronto can over rule a call on the ice if it’s deemed the puck went in the net. That is what has happened here.

The on ice ref waived no goal, the video replay(ie the league in Toronto), over ruled the on ice call because the puck clearly went in the net.

165. delooper says:

Retweeted by jjmoi
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

Matt Hendricks (leg) will not return to tonight’s game.

Gazdic will step-up in his place??

166. linkfromhyrule says:

The Great One,

lmao even shitty teams can be fun to watch. After one of the worst seasons of the entire rebuild I’m happy to say that we are playing an exciting game. There hasn’t been enough of those this season it seems

167. spoiler says:

Lander was fighting the puck a little in the first half of the game and struggled a little along the walls, but seems to have settled down.

168. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris: Just not this Saturday, right?

Well , yeah, OK.

169. striatic says:

delooper: But on-ice rulings are supposed to take precedence. If the ref has no doubts about a play (it was no goal) then that’s the ruling that’s supposed to stand. I thought this was a fundamental aspect of justice in hockey.

The broadcast team explains that the “precedence” rule doesn’t apply to penalties like it does for everything else.

This is because if a team figured a goal had just been scored, they could start taking cheap shots at the other team, knowing that they could not be penalized.

170. delooper says:

Gerta Rauss:
    delooper,

The on ice ref waived no goal, the video replay(ie the league in Toronto), over ruled the on ice call.

171. "Steve Smith" says:

delooper: Where is Steve Smith when you need him?

Hard to say; the situation has never come up.

172. spoiler says:

Two Fraserian Spinoramas, Two!

…in the voice of The Count from Sesame Street.

173. Suntory Hanzo says:

May be a silly question, but if a delayed penalty is coming and the attacking team scores with the extra man, it is still an “ESG” yes? Not a PPG?

174. delooper says:

We need you Steve Smith! ‘splain these rules!

175. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: MacT was in the house. Matty had Draisaitl in the same sentence with Reinhart and Ekblad a week or so ago. That’s your top three.

Let’s say that Buffalo wants a C and takes Reinhart. Then Florida, who have recently added Barkov and Huberdeau decide on Ekblad, that means that Draisaitl falls to #3.

Even if Draisaitl goes 1st, it means that one of Ekblad or Reinhart falls to #3 and I don’t think this Oilers team is worse by adding either of those players.

Provided they don’t draft 4th they should be able to get one of the top three players this year.

176. Suntory Hanzo says:

delooper,

It’s only the last play before the whistle. NFL style I believe.

Only golf has the review later/ viewer callin for cheaters.

I wish soccer had this. After watching the Chelsea/Galatasaray game today, I had forgotten how much “simulation” there was.

177. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper: Is there any kind of “statute of limitations” on that, or can they change scores in games at any time — even after the game has finished?

I think it’s statue of limitations

It’s a moo point now anyway

178. delooper says:

Can the league decide, in retrospect that Brett Hull’s OT goal is a crease violation, and say Dallas never won the Stanley Cup. Is that within the scope of these rules?

179. spoiler says:

Perhaps the most comical series of too many passes ever leading up to that PP goal.

180. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”: Hard to say; the situation has never come up.

hahah….I was mulling a witty reply but decided against it

181. delooper says:

Fuck’n a!

182. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper:
    Can the league decide, in retrospect that Brett Hull’s OT goal is a crease violation, and say Dallas never won the Stanley Cup.Is that within the scope of these rules?

The ruling is due any day now

183. RBB says:

RexLibris,

What about Bennett? Some scouts compare his character to toews

184. jp says:

This has been a fun game!

Also, why hasn’t Schultz been shooting more all year? He’s looked excellent actually putting the puck on the net regularly.

185. striatic says:

RexLibris,

Put it in Idle, for Draisaitl?

186. frjohnk says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Ok… well, how about regionally.

If Draisaitl has a really good playoffs, I think the oilers draft list is

1. Ekblad
    2. Draisaitl
    3. Reinhart
    4. Bennett

187. Marcus Oilerius says:

Florida down 1-0.

188. spoiler says:

Ebs again!

189. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris: So assuming the Oilers win tonight, that means that, lottery notwithstanding, they would draft 3rd.

Don’t you see a clear top 4 Rex..? Bennett is not in your top 4..?

190. delooper says:

Gerta Rauss: Yes.

The ruling is due any day now

Good! I’ve been waiting for that… it seems like forever.

191. tcho says:

Holy crap on a stick, what a goal from Eberle.

192. The Great One says:

A drop has been pissed.

193. delooper says:

Eberle with an Eberle goal. Typical!

1. Reinhart
    2. Ekblad
    3. Draisaitl
    4. Bennett
    5. Virtanen

I’d be happy with any of those, and you know who I’m really warming up to? Nikolaj Ehlers

195. Suntory Hanzo says:

I haven’t seen a player score this many backhands since I was taught by my coach to float betwixt the blue and red line waiting for the breakaway passes (talk about leaving the zone early…seems like half the Oilers have the same coaching) in Mite level in Sherwood park, and I could score the fake forehand, go to back hand EVERY time.

196. delooper says:

A few too many fancy-dan plays there.

197. spoiler says:

Sexsmith is handling the stats for the home play-by-play… I’d bet it has been years since he’s had to do that. He was Stauffer’s mentor.

198. RexLibris says:

Gerta Rauss: Don’t you see a clear top 4 Rex..? Bennet is not in your top 4..?

I think Draisaitl and Reinhart are ahead of him, but I also haven’t really seen him play whereas I’ve spent more time focusing on the other two.

All I know is, if the draft is four players deep, I’d sleep well if the Flames were picking 5th.

199. striatic says:

Starting to see why Nashville isn’t a playoff team this year.

200. jp says:

The Great One:
    A drop has been pissed.

You gotta figure a flood is coming (taking your pee analogy a little further).

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »