REMAKE REMODEL

With today’s recall of Tyler Pitlick and Steve MacIntyre, the Oilers are in full audition mode. MacIntyre is insurance, Pitlick is a possible role player for this team over the next couple of seasons. He may get an even bigger push, as we’re finding out Jordan Eberle has a knee injury this afternoon (MRI tomorrow, everyone holding their breath for the evening).

A FEW THINGS I THINK I THINK

• The Oilers’ draft list is Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl. I’m actually betting Jim Matheson’s pipeline to management works again. It didn’t during the Tambellini era but he’s hit a couple of things this season. I’m also betting Reinhart’s late-season performance has him ahead of Draisaitl.

matty twitter

• Tyler Pitlick wins an NHL job over Anton Lander, Jesse Joensuu and Roman Horak. The Oilers have some decisions to make this summer, and I believe they’ll choose Pitlick over three other options. Lander is probably the closest to Pitlick, but for me the edge comes in player style. Neither player is an offensive dynamo, although Lander showed well in the AHL this season. My guess is the Oilers qualify Lander and trade him, send Joensuu to OKC in the fall and employ Horak on a two-way deal as a call-up option.
  • Mark Arcobello leaves via free agency, signing with Dallas or Detroit. Not getting a call today is a giant FU, and I know the Barons are in playoff contention. Still, this is a royal kick in the nuts.
  • G Joel Rumpel is going to sign with the Oilers as a free agent.
  • Sam Gagner is going to be traded to the NY Islanders for the 35th and 95th pick in the 2014 NHL entry draft.
  • Dillon Simpson signs a contract with the Edmonton Oilers and pushes his way into some NHL games in 2014-15. By next summer, the bases will be drunk with talented young defensemen pushing to the NHL.
  • Jordan Eberle’s injury is a real shame, he looked himself last night. Hopefully it’ll be nothing, as I’m still of a mind that the Flyer deal is out there but #14 is a key part of the deal.
  • Laurent Brossoit replaced Tyler Bunz in OKC today. That’s a transaction that has been a long time coming and represents a passing of the prospect wand to the former Oil King. Is he an impact prospect? We’re going to find out. He has dominated the ECHL, but the AHL is a tougher climb.

86 Responses to "REMAKE REMODEL"

1. LMHF#1 says:

They have to trade the pick if it is Reinhart that’s available – right?

Much more valuable to another team at this point.

2. dessert1111 says:

If Ekblad is gone, I think Bennet makes the most sense stylisticly. The German is big but irrc he is more of a finesse player, which Oilers have plenty of.

LMHF#1:
    They have to trade the pick if it is Reinhart that’s available – right?

Much more valuable to another team at this point.

That makes sense, but it may be difficult to pass on his talent. Reinhart has closed very strong.

4. Marc says:

Why do you think that Philly might be interested in Eberle? They already have two good RW in Simmons (age 25) and Voracek (age 24)), and have huge holes at LW (Lecavalier currently playing out of position at 2LW) and D (the ages of their top 4 D: 39, 36, 29, 29).

If they were minded to trade one of their young forwards, wouldn’t they prioritise D or LW over another RW?

5. tcho says:

“Sam Gagner is going to be traded to the NY Islanders for the 35th and 95th pick in the 2014 NHL entry draft.”

I know the Oilers have an unparalleled recent track record of turning somethings into lesser-thans, into nothings, but man… I hope you’re wrong about this.

Marc:

Voracek can play LW.

7. Henry says:

Could it be that Arcobello has been tasked with hauling OKC into the playoffs by the org. with the understanding that MacT wants to sign him afterward?

8. Ducey says:

Gagner will be traded, but not to NYI. Snow will hang onto his picks. Trades don’t go well for him.

I would think Gagner will go for an expensive, underperforming defenseman.

I’d like to see Gazdik, Lander and Pitlick as the 4th line next year. Joensuu will clear waivers and be depth.

If they bring in someone to play 3 line wing, the question is what to do with Smyth. Will he be happy as 13th forward?

9. thejonrmcleod says:

Any info on Rumpel?

Is the Gagner trade just a guess?

10. cc says:

Me thinks you’re either tossing darts after to much disaronno on ice, or just looking for something to say.

cc:

The subtitle is “Things I think I think” so that tips you off.

12. gvblackhawk says:

Stamkos with a hat trick already vs the Leafs. No injury excuses there.

13. stevezie says:

Henry:

Yes. I have thought about this, and I consider it unlikely, but it is possible a conversation has already taken place with Arco that went, “Okay buddy, I know keeping you in the minors not only hurts your pride and stalls your career, but more importantly costs your family a lot money. I will throw on a couple extra hundred Gs for your contract next year, so it will balance out, and you stay put and drag this team into the playoffs with Lemieux like numbers (for the AHL). Okay? Cool.”

This makes a certain kind of sense, but if this was the case, wouldn’t they have extended him by now? He could sign a one way deal right now and still close out his current one going superstar in the minors.

So I hope so, but I doubt it.

The journal said that Eakins mentioned Arco in his press conference. What did he say?

tcho,

Gagner’s recent streak puts him on a 48 point pace. He still does some things well, which is great. Hopefully he keeps potting points and we can all come out ahead.

14. Ryan says:

Brief word with my other source today… Yeah I know phrasing things this way makes me sound like a jackass, but how else do i present the information…

Word on the street?

Anyway, sounds like Eakins isn’t going anywhere next season. He’s full of himself, but has a good system (source’s opinion not mine) that the kids aren’t buying into–he pointed his finger at Eberle and Hall. Keeps saying the same old about the Oilers doing their rebuild backwards and questioning where they’re going to get 2 good defenseman outside of the draft. He thinks Eakins system is sound, but knows he’s abrasive and cocky and has a short shelf life consequently.

15. delooper says:

Ryan:
    the kids aren’t buying into–he pointed his finger at Eberle and Hall.

16. Mr DeBakey says:

Ducey: I’d like to see Gazdik, Lander and Pitlick as the 4th line next year.

That’s fugly.

17. Ryan says:

delooper: If that’s the case, why hasn’t Eakins scratched Eberle and Hall, at least for one game, symbolically. Doesn’t make sense.

Sorry, wife / dinner was ready and I got interrupted.

This source is from outside of the Oilers organization. i.e. one oft he other 29 NHL teams.

what I wrote above is his opinion only.

18. OilBomber says:

Re. Gagner to the Islanders:
    I sincerely hope this does not come to fruition. Even though I understand the Oilers are gifted at turning their valuable assets into assets of lesser value.

Ryan:
    Brief word with my other source today…Yeah I know phrasing things this way makes me sound like a jackass, but how else do i present the information…

Word on the street?

Anyway, sounds like Eakins isn’t going anywhere next season.He’s full of himself, but has a good system(source’s opinion not mine) that the kids aren’t buying into–he pointed his finger at Eberle and Hall.Keeps saying the same old about the Oilers doing their rebuild backwards and questioning where they’re going to get 2 good defenseman outside of the draft.He thinks Eakins system is sound, but knows he’s abrasive and cocky and has a short shelf life consequently.

Suspect winning will help.

20. Ryan says:

Re: Pitlick

Pitlick is such a tease, that’s the problem. :)

He skates fast, has a decent frame, and hits well. I’m afraid he looks the part more than he’ll ever play the part, but let’s hope I’m wrong.

21. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Suspect winning will help.

22. gvblackhawk says:

LMHF#1:
    They have to trade the pick if it is Reinhart that’s available – right?

Much more valuable to another team at this point.

My guess: if the Oilers don’t get Ekblad, Bennett, or Draisaitl, they will trade down and take Nick Ritchie. Because Lucic.

23. David says:

I doubt Gagner gets traded unless it’s for something real. MacT’s track record is refusing to trade players for nothing- Hemsky last year, Gagner this deadline. He only traded Hemsky cause he was going to walk. That’s why unless someone actually gives MacT a good offer for Gagner he will be back next season and why Yak isn’t going anywhere either.

24. David says:

RE the possibility of Gagner returning: most people are thinking of this years Gagner when tho king about him being back, which of course would invoke shivers. But it is far more likely that next season Gagner will revert to the previous couple of years form, which is not perfect but far better than trading him for beans and hoping an 18 year old rookie can do a better job.

25. David says:

“The Oilers’ draft list is Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl. I’m actually betting Jim Matheson’s pipeline to management works again. It didn’t during the Tambellini era but he’s hit a couple of things this season. I’m also betting Reinhart’s late-season performance has him ahead of Draisaitl.”

Draisaitl had a very strong finish to the season as well. I would find it hard to imagine the Oilers liking Reinhart more than Draisaitl.

Ryan: I thought what this scout said was interesting in relation to my understanding of your theory of the Oilers not buying into Eakin’s system due to poor goaltending at the start of the season.

It’s probably true to a certain level, but I’m unsure it would have been any different. I mean, Ralph would have been friendlier but they were going to work with Yak sooner than later, no?

27. Ryan says:

RE: yak.

I was briefly watching the Bolts vs Leafs today… What struck me was how underwhelming Stamkos looks playing hockey (when he’s not one-timing the puck into the net).

It was interesting in that he doesn’t do much puck retrieval or even move his feet much on the power plays. I didn’t notice him back checking too hard or making any brilliant plays… but lordy can he one-time that puck.

Sort of made me think of Yakupov… maybe there’s a future for him if he were deployed with expectations more like Stamkos.

28. Rondo says:

I thought Reinhart was more like a RNH type player if so doubt the Oilers would want him.

There always seems to be someone who sneaks into the top 5 who we have not considered. My guess is Nick Ritchie for this week at least .

29. G Money says:

Ryan,

That’s my thought too. No doubt Yak has work to do on his overall game (as every 2nd year player does), but I believe a lot of the “woes” we see from him are simply a result of the fact that he is a deadly shooter first and foremost, and the Oilers are nowhere near good enough a puck retrieval and possession team to put him in a position to shoot.

30. Lois Lowe says:

LT

Do you know what Dennis King’s scoring chance data has shown since January? It’s clear that the goaltending is much better, but is the system actually preventing chances?

31. Ryan says:

G Money:
    Ryan,

That’s my thought too.No doubt Yak has work to do on his overall game (as every 2nd year player does), but I believe a lot of the “woes” we see from him are simply a result of the fact that he is a deadly shooter first and foremost, and the Oilers are nowhere near good enough a puck retrieval and possession team to put him in a position to shoot.

That’s exactly it. How would Stamkos look on the Oilers? Terrible IMO.

32. gvblackhawk says:

Ryan: That’s exactly it.How would Stamkos look on the Oilers?Terrible IMO.

Satire?

33. Younger Oil says:

Would love to see some sort of deal revolving around Gagner for Brock Nelson if we are trading him to NYI.

34. gvblackhawk says:

Ryan:
    RE: yak.

It was interesting in that he doesn’t do much puck retrieval or even move his feet much on the power plays.I didn’t notice him back checking too hard or making any brilliant plays…but lordy can he one-time that puck.

Watch a game from earlier this season. He is a tenacious checker and a great playmaker. He is a bit tentative coming off injury, so all he can do right now is score a lot of goals.

35. G Money says:

Ryan: That’s exactly it.How would Stamkos look on the Oilers?Terrible IMO.

Heh, I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I’m pretty sure he’d be struggling a lot more and a lot more often.

36. theres oil in virginia says:

Rondo: If Eberle was traded to Philly the player I would want is Sean Couturier. However Philly would not make that deal.

Gnosis?

I miss Pouzar.

37. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Ryan,

I don’t think that will be hard.

Also, don’t forget respectable shot in your scouting report. It’s more dangerous than fan fav Arcobello, might I add…

IMO he’s the most valuable forward prospect in OKC right now.

But, don’t believe me, lets watch the games.

Ducey:

I’d like to see Gazdik, Lander and Pitlick as the 4th line next year.Joensuu will clear waivers and be depth.

I think you misspelled Arcobello as Gazdik….! -).

4th line and 13-14….Smyth, Arcobello, Pitlick, Lander (and okay, Gadzic, if you like).

would be closer to acceptable.

Lois Lowe:
    LT

I don’t think Dennis is tracking this season. Parkatti is though.

This basically describes the reason why Todd Nelson prefers being an AHL head coach (as the best place to be to fulfill his NHL head coaching aspirations).

For a guy who aspires to be a head coach, being an NHL assistant coach (after you’ve done an apprenticeship) isn’t particularly appealing.

41. justDOit says:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers have recalled forward Steve MacIntyre (@Smacker33) from the AHL’s @OKCBarons on an emergency basis.

42. hunter1909 says:

Re SMac: Seems that Oiler insiders don’t tell any of the posters on Lowetide that there’s big heap trouble coming up with games with the Calgary Flames, others possibly, and in light of the recent beatings of Eberle, Yakupov and others MacT has decided enough is enough.

Please don’t shoot the messenger. I know most of you Lowetiders abhor fisticuffs.

43. hunter1909 says:

justDOit: SMac called up? I guess we might be blessed with a SMac/Scott tilt. I’d rather see hockey though.

If you see any hot women sitting on those cushions, forget about the game until you know 1) they’re not interested 2) they’re lesbians.

Come to think of it, I’d rather be at Starbucks myself.

44. hunter1909 says:

Methinks not picking Reinhart and picking that Draisatil instead might turn out like not picking Sakic, in order to take another crack at the 6 4 Mario Lemieux dream, ala whateverthefuck his name is…Jason Bonsignore.

Lowetide, please remember this, in case I’m run over by a truck.

hunter1909:

Lowetide, please remember this, in case I’m run over by a truck.

46. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Got it! The other thing about Reinhart is that he might be a more talented offensive player than the Nuge. We all love the Nuge, but being blinded by the idea you can’t have a more talented offensive version of same is quite crazy.

The Nuge looks like a shadow of his pre-Eakins self. Maybe it’s the toll from those hits he took which have shaken his confidence. Eakins once more comes off as a dummy, if he’s got anything to do with RNH artificially gaining weight because with some types of people, they just fill out later than others and that’s all there is to be said.

Shenn in Toronto had a great season, then turned up at Leaf’s training camp weighing something crazy like 235 and was terrible. He turned up talking like he was ready to play like the Incredible Hulk, but really was no more than a muscle bound idiot on the ice.

If Nuge has 9 forced pounds on his torso, that’s almost certainly going to have an effect, and not all of it good. He should have been left in Red Deer, ffs.

47. Kitchener says:

Several sudden injuries & emergency recalls … MacT read GMoney’s thread earlier today and agrees that it’s time to tank?

I’m not being overly serious, but then again, this is the time of year when the Oilers stop hiding nagging injuries to the kids and get them healthy for the following fall. I hope no others appear on IR, but your guess is as good as mine.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:

Lowetide, please remember this, in case I’m run over by a truck.

I’ve got time for all 3 of the Cs. And, I even have a little extra set aside for Nylander.

From here whatever it is that separates them seems like bias (sample bias, size bias, style of play bias, league bias, place of birth bias, whatever).

Bias, in this sense isn’t necessarily a pejorative. It just means that you are down to a matter of preference in a saw-off.

For me, I’d go

Draisaitl
    Reinhart
    Bennett

and then, I think:

Nylander
    Barbashev
    Del Colle
    Ehlers
    Pasternak
    Perlini
    Virtanen

49. dangilitis says:

LT,

I get that these are merely things you think you think…

But are they things you believe are good hockey moves?

Would you be happy if Gagner is traded for shitty draft picks in a shitty year?

Gagner is not a great #2 C, and chances are he never will be. Not zero, but slim and getting slimmer by the year. But he has value.

Don’t you think that any trade involving Gagner has to be part of a bigger plan to either:
    (a) replace him with another good #2C who is cheaper, to allow money to be thrown at some white whale top 2 defencemen,
    (b) upgrade to a high performing #2C, or
    (c) upgrading/acquiring legitimate top 2 D-man with a FA replacement center willing to come here

Only option (a) would allow such a shitty trade to go down and the Oilers come out ahead, but even this is predicated on the fact that they have a cheaper #2C option available. Lander ain’t there, Arcobello was flushed, no 1st rounder this year should be thrown into the fray, and depending on UFA options are always a crap shoot. Then you have to find the white whale. That means MacT would need to pull off 2 great UFA signings to undo the shit storm that will be unleashed if Gagner is traded for draft picks

50. jp says:

justDOit:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers

Honestly this is tough to make sense of unless Gazdic is injured. Surely there’s nothing the organization needs to learn about a 33 year old 3 minute a night player. We talk about Gazdic’s lack of ability, but MacIntyre is simply not a hockey player at all. Is this the only player in the organization the Oilers could recall that wouldn’t hurt the Baron’s chances of making the playoffs?

dangilitis:
    LT,

I get that these are merely things you think you think…

But are they things you believe are good hockey moves?

Would you be happy if Gagner is traded for shitty draft picks in a shitty year?

(b) upgrade to a high performing #2C, or

But, it isn’t my team.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Anyone with access break the code for us?

I’d settle for just Oiler related items.

53. Lois Lowe says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I like your list. It also disagrees with Craig Button which I find is a good indicator. I haven’t seen much of Reinhart this year, but he’s certainly got the pedigree to be a difference maker, and at 6’1″ he’s not exactly small.

54. Bank Shot says:

justDOit:

Its too bad that the Oilers and Sabres won’t play any hockey worth watching. :P

I wonder why Bennett is missing from Jimmy’s list? The Oilers could really use a top forward with rocket boots. Hall is the only speedster left. Bennett is universally loved the OHL coaches in their poll as well. Seems like a complete player.

55. justDOit says:

hunter1909: Sure but they stop the game until everyone’s sent to the box. Take the elevator in your condo downstairs to Starbucks, and ask for your favorite coffee treat.

Come to think of it, I’d rather be at Starbucks myself.

I can’t leave the condo, because my Mom doesn’t trust me with a key, and the door locks automatically behind you, and I’d be too scared to anyway, and caffeine makes my heart get the hickupps, and my neighbor says he has candy in his van, and this one time…

56. admiralmark says:

I can’t understand how Bennet is not in the conversation with Draistl And Reinhart? He brings more nastiness to the table then the other two and last i checked a C was a big need. I also don’t understand those who think if we don’t get Ekblad then we trade the pick? All the commentary we get from this team including MacT is that they are attempting to build a team with “sustainability”. That means we continue to add as many high end prospects as possible. Eventually we turn the corner and behind those players should be a 2nd wave of talent to follow theoretically. Getting close and then trading the future for one big push does not achieve this goal.

57. stevezie says:

jp,

IMO, what this means is they really, really want OKC to make the playoffs. SMac only played 10 games there this year, so he is clearly not a key cog. He’s not even a peripheral cog.

Rather than call up anyone else even marginally contributing the Barons’ success, they took someone the Barons don’t ant anyway so the Oil could at least fill the game sheet. They’ll be a three line team against Buffalo, which is fine because they don’t care if they lose anyway.

This actually makes a lot of sense, if you buy the idea that a draft pick/OKC making the playoffs is more important than the Oilers winning. I don’t buy that idea, but I don’t think it’s crazy.

I just think it’s a shame that the OKC playoff drive is probably going to cost the team Arcobello.

58. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: The subtitle is “Things I think I think” so that tips you off.

And the main title is Side One Track One of Roxy Music One.

59. Hammers says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Any info on Rumpel?

Is the Gagner trade just a guess?

Everything LT said is a guess . Matheson as well .

60. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909: If Nuge has 9 forced pounds on his torso, that’s almost certainly going to have an effect, and not all of it good.

61. Hammers says:

justDOit:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers

My guess is Smack doesn’t play that much in OKL so McT isn’t totally depleting the Barons PLUS games against Buffalo & Calgary . By then Hendricks should be back . So our 4th line wingers Gazdic & Smack get 3-4 minutes each

62. dangilitis says:

Lowetide: Personally? I’d keep Gagner. When healthy, he should be able to post offense and he was slowly progressing season over season before the Kassian idiocy. After losing Hemsky, I’m in no mood to trade another guy for less than 100 cents on the dollar.

But, it isn’t my team.

No, but I’d spot you the money if I could :)

63. TheOtherJohn says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d settle for just Oiler related items.

List is by C Pronman

Nurse is #8 and Klefbom is # 35 and they also have 10 honorable mentions none of whom are Oilers. Gormley is 6, Griff Reinhart is 7 & has Domi at 12

64. jp says:

stevezie:
    jp,

This actually makes a lot of sense, if you buy the idea that a draft pick/OKC making the playoffs is more important than the Oilerswinning. I don’t buy that idea, but I don’t think it’s crazy.

Yeah, I think I’ll have to believe SMac was called up because it’s one of the few moves that doesn’t hurt OKC. Though the possibility that the Oilers would WANT both SMac and Gazdic in the lineup is terrifying.

As for Arco, I really think the decision was made on him some time ago. He’s in OKC to help the playoff drive, but I don’t think that has any bearing on whether he returns next year or not. Who knows what conversations may have occurred between he and MacT, but I don’t see why he’d re-sign. Eakins doesn’t appear to have seen him worthy of a full time job (despite what we saw on TV and what the corgis say). I’m sure MacT would love to have him back – he’s versatile and at worst is a good depth option. I just don’t see why he’d re-sign given that the coach has consistently played bigger, but lesser, players over him. Whether the decision was Arcobello’s or MacT’s (or both), I think they knew he wasn’t in the long-term plans before they sent him down.

65. spoiler says:

The Oilers’ draft list is Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl.

Yup. Maybe Dal Colle too, if they project him to be a center.

Reinhart would be very difficult to turn down, IMO. If the Oil think it is a coin flip, then they will take the bigger, stronger player. The CHL playoffs can still change some fortunes. Draisaitl did himself a huge favour in that tiebreaker match.

Tyler Pitlick wins an NHL job over Anton Lander, Jesse Joensuu and Roman Horak.

Probably right but I’m not as sure about this one. I think the final stretch of games still has an affect on the decision-making. They haven’t tipped their hand yet, but how he’s used over the remainder should show us what they think. I like Pitlick, I hope he shows well. He’s more toolsy than the other guys, but does he have the head for The Bigs? If he does, I think he will be the more useful player.

Mark Arcobello leaves via free agency, signing with Dallas or Detroit.

This isn’t looking very good for Arcobello. They don’t want him. And maybe that doesn’t bode well for Lander either. I think the 4th line next year is Gazdic, Hendricks/Smyth, Pitlick. I don’t think there’s any room in the lifeboat for Lander or Arco, and they still have Horak for positional depth.

Good guess. Obviously this relates to MacT’s determination to replace the missing picks. I don’t think MacT would trade Gagner for picks. If that’s what he wants, then why not trade him back at the deadline when picks were worth less to teams and easier to obtain? And wouldn’t it be a high-risk move since there would be no certainty 2C could be solved in free agency?

If you’re going to trade Gagner for picks, don’t you do it in the summer, after you have solved the 2C hole through free agency? Then when you trade him for picks, they’re from what’s shaping up to be a generational draft. I can’t see the NTC standing in the way.

Chock-a-block. And that’s a good thing.

66. spoiler says:

I think the only reason SMac has been brought up is to give him a nice thank-you pay cheque. That makes a difference to those guys.

67. maxwell_mischief says:

I dont understand Lander situation, he has looked great in my eyes. Joensuu/Gazdic-Lander-Pitlick look like a very nice 4th line in my eyes, if you add a 2C and a 3W who can really play into the style, plus a 2-3D who can play some PP/PK time.
    Also, Fraser sucks… but he seems to help or something.
    I dno nothing, I will be cool with whatever happens, and hope that it works, cuz we can’t really do anything else.

68. art vandelay says:

Everything LT said is a guess . Matheson as well .

Needs more ellipses….

69. gcw_rocks says:

If Bennett isn’t in their top four they are idiots. Skill and sandpaper. Exactly what the Oilers need.

70. book¡je says:

Bruce McCurdy: I remember when some deranged folks used to rag on Wayne Gretzky for not bulking up, complain about his weak wrist shot that always seemed to wobble past the goalie on its way into the net, yada yada. Gretz would come back with “I don’t want to lose my speed” and wouldn’t waver off 165 pounds, and then go out and win the scoring title by 70-odd points. Didn’t shut up all the nay-sayers even then, although it was pretty clear to most of us he had a pretty decent idea of what were his real strengths.

Goals and points are fine, but what was his VO2?

71. jp says:

gcw_rocks:

Maybe WHL bias since they’ve seen Reinhart and Draisaitl play more?? Agreed it is quite strange though.

72. Numenius says:

jp:

I don’t see where everyone gets this from, including LT.

There are many signs, including verbal from one of Eakins latest interviews, that they’re extremely impressed with how Arco’s been playing in OKC and that he’s only staying down because they already know his NHL capabilities (unlike Lander, Pitlick, etc.) and to help OKC get to the playoffs.

73. Bruce McCurdy says:

book¡je: Goals and points are fine, but what was his VO2?

Off the charts. Seriously. I recall some trainer or other who thought he’d broken the machine. Might be a reference to that in Gzowski’s book.

74. russ99 says:

tcho:

IMO, LT is spot on with this, considering player value at the deadline, the messy NTC/contract lowering value and what they usually move players for at the draft.

But I’d prefer a good forward prospect we can put on the first line in OKC over a lower pick to go with the 2nd rounder.

Also, I hope there’s considerable culling of our AAAA talent this summer. Does any of Pitlick, Horak, Lander, Joensuu and even Arco crack the bottom six of a contender? I don’t think so.

Nice AHL players and decent NHL subs, but not NHL regulars that we need to move forward. Maybe one of them could end up on the 4th line next year, but I’m assuming Hendricks and Gazdic have the wing spots sewn up.

75. jp says:

Numenius: I don’t see where everyone gets this from, including LT.

You’re right they’ve already had lots of time to evaluate him. But if they appreciated what he brought why was he in and out of the lineup since December? Imo they view him as a tweener who isn’t an important part of the plans going forward. Sure it would be nice to hold onto him, but he’s not a key piece.

I haven’t seen the recent Eakins interview, but I recall another one from sometime around the Olympic break I think (sorry, not sure where to find it exactly). Eakins is talking about who they want to call up to see down the stretch. Lander is mentioned as a guy they want to see if he can play at the NHL level, and he mentions basically the same thing about Arcobello. If his first 40 NHL games didn’t convince them he can play, then I’m not sure what else he can do. Sure they’re impressed with 2 PPG in the AHL, but if Eakins still has any doubts about Arcobello (and it appears that he does) he’s in a tough spot.

76. FastOil says:

hunter1909:

Lowetide, please remember this, in case I’m run over by a truck.

They have to take ability over size. Especially if size be not quick. He’s not Kopitar or Lucic big.

77. FastOil says:

admiralmark:

The system is so barren of top talent outside of LD they have to keep the pick unless they get a player that is young and absolutely top drawer, essentially a player like the one they would draft at their likely position.

They aren’t going to get that most likely unless they are in a position to draft a player some GM can’t live without, and is there a player like that in this draft? Maybe Ekblad?

78. Maverick says:

As we get closer to the draft in June I think we can throw Michael Dal Colle’s name into the mix for the Oilers. He’s a June 1996 birthday already good size and has character, moving forward I think he might be the player they target if selecting 4th or later. With the ability to play Center and LW, not sure at this point if he is going to be a true Center but being only 17 there is lots of time to find out.

Good read about Dal Colle’s background.

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: List is by C Pronman

Nurse is #8 and Klefbom is # 35 and they also have10 honorable mentions none of whom are Oilers. Gormley is 6, Griff Reinhart is 7 & has Domi at 12

Thanks.

IIRC Nurse was at 8th in his last update. status quo is good considering Nurse’s scoring dropped off a bit at the end.

80. Ribs says:

I hope I get to see some more of Draisaitl. Everything I’ve seen so far has me unconvinced. He’s looked like a very akward skater every time and he doesn’t seem to use his size at all.

It’s early, but I like Bennett if Ekblad is gone.

81. VOR says:

Re VO2 max – a good score for most of us would be 40 ml/kg/min. Only four hockey players are known for certain to have gone over 70 – Chris Chelios, Ed Belfour, Jarome Iginla, and Jakub Culek who is the current leader with a VO2max of 72.3. Anything over 65 is considered superb for a hockey player. of the kids the current leader is Oscar Klefbom at 67.9 ml/kg/min.

Rumors persist – and I am pretty sure they are actually true – that two Oilers of the Boys on the Bus era went into the 80s and on one occasion into the 90s – Wayne Gretzky and Glen Anderson. Many teams, and the Oilers are one of them, do not disclose test results.

90s are usually found in cyclists and cross country skiers. 97.5 is the top confirmed score ever measured.

Recent research has suggested that what is predictive for hockey players – correlated to both +/- and net scoring chances is the combination of VO2max and VO2max test duration – anything over 14 minutes for endurance is a staggeringly good number for a hockey player. It is worth noting in the modern combine system no player has managed to get over 65 for VO2max and over 14 minutes for endurance. The closest player is Martin Marincin at 64.1 and 14:15. Interestingly the next best is David Musil at 63.6 and 14.00. (By the way it is claimed that both Gretzky and Anderson had fatigue times between 17 and 19 minutes,)

Other test results have also (in some studies) been shown to correlate with on ice accomplishments when comparing teammates. These include push and pull strength per kg of body weight and grip strength. Some of the best scores of all time belong to that obvious NHL player Travis Ewaniuk. (Bogdan Yakimov does pretty well in these tests as well).

Overall combine scores don’t appear to be predictive but it is worth noting that Oscar Klefbom is in the top ten for the years 2010-2012.

In 2013 the NHL stopped publishing results of the VO2max test for some reason. In 2009 they didn’t publish the results of the VO2max endurance test. They also have changed which power and strength tests they are publishing so all we can say is for the 3 years of full data Oscar Klefbom is a blue chip prospect.

By the way, VO2max and time to fatigue can be trained in some individuals and not in others and nobody knows why. So in other words you could train like a demon and get no change and somebody else could radically improve on the same training regime. In fact, some people could reduce their scores by training too hard or in the wrong way.

82. Bruce McCurdy says: