SABRES AT OILERS, G71 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers are 10-4-3 in their last 17, but a lot of the golden record comes via all-world goaltending. There’s no way the goalies can sustain this run, and when the save-percentage begins to fall the shot differential will remain. Are the Oilers getting any better at that?

CORSI FOR 5X5 % (BLUE)

1. Martin Marincin 49.0
  2. Jeff Petry 47.3
  3. Anton Belov 46.4
  4. Phil Larsen 44.1
  5. Oscar Klefbom 43.8
  6. Justin Schultz 43.3
  7. Andrew Ference 42.9
  8. Mark Fraser 41.1

DEFENSIVE ZONE START (BLUE)

1. Oscar Klefbom 41.7
  2. Mark Fraser 38.2
  3. Jeff Petry 36.1
  4. Martin Marincin 36.0
  5. Anton Belov 33.6
  6. Justin Schultz 33.0
  7. Andrew Ference 32.5
  8. Phil Larsen 32.3

OFFENSIVE ZONE START (BLUE)

1. Phil Larsen 33.4
  2. Anton Belov 29.7
  3. Justin Schultz 29.3
  4. Martin Marincin 28.8
  5. Andrew Ference 27.3
  6. Oscar Klefbom 27.1
  7. Jeff Petry 27.0
  8. Mark Fraser 22.9

QUAL COMP (BLUE, BTN)

oilers blue qual comp mar 19

CORSI ON (BLUE, BTN)

oilers blue corsi on mar 19Unless I’m crazy, we can say the following about Martin Marincin:

1. Marincin has the best Corsi for 5×5 % and best Corsi On among current players
  2. Marincin had the highest number of defensive zone starts (as a percentage) among blue until recently
  3. Marincin has the toughest qual comp.

Martin Marincin, based on this information, is the best defenseman on the Edmonton Oilers. I don’t think there’s an argument beyond Jeff Petry’s (which is that his sample is larger and Petry may be zooming Marincin) and even then you’re going to have a tough time convincing me. A star is born? Well, don’t blow out the candle but this looks pretty damn good.

And when we talk about next season, I don’t think it’s possible at this point to suggest Marincin begins the season in the minors. He’s here until he struggles for an extended period, and if he continues to play at this level Marincin stays full stop. That 2010 draft is looking better today.

marincin and schultz

ADDING TO THE BLUE

We’ve talked at length about what to do this summer to help this defense. For me, acquiring a veteran player who can play with the chaos that is Justin Schultz is key. His Corsi for % 5×5 is 43%, which is not going to win hockey games. The idea of signing Andrei Markov to a four-year deal at $6M+ seems drastic, but that’s probably what it is going to take. The alternative? Trading Schultz. This summer.

If you trade Schultz and replace him on the RH side with a “two-way” option then the blue has a more traditional, less chaotic feel. Another Jeff Petry would come in handy about now. I’m still onboard with keeping Schultz, but he’s a rambler and a rover and the club badly needs a Serge Savard to allow Larry Robinson to wheel.

DEATH-RATTLE FOR DRAISAITL?

matheson draisaitl

Matty’s hot on the trail of Leon Draisaitl, but it’s another EJ writer who moves the conversation forward with some hard work and the power of observation. You can read about it here.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

monroe7

First day of spring, snow in Edmonton. Sure. It’s important to remember the flowers that await us in a few short weeks. This morning at 10, the Lowdown hits TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Oilogosphere icon Dennis King. We’ll talk about that Oilers blueline for next season and about the Leafs/Habs.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings pbp. Playoffs start this Saturday for the Oil Kings, against PA. We’ll talk Draisaitl and the second season.
  • Curtis Lazar, Edmonton Oil Kings. Top drawer talent probably spending his final months in the WHL. We’ll talk playoffs and more.
  • Neal Livingston, Tend the Farm. Tyler Pitlick joins Anton Lander and Oscar Klefbom with the big club, how does that impact the Barons?

10-1260 via text or @Lowetide_ on twitter. I’m looking forward to talking to these four gents, hope you can tune in.

276 Responses to "SABRES AT OILERS, G71 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. John Chambers says:

Yak might turn into Pavel Bure or Nik Zherdev – the only thing that appears certain is that he won’t fulfill his destiny here. It’s a crying shame bc after that elation against LA last year we all thought a decade of YakCity was the perfect tonic for the re-build.

The main reason is that we can’t wait. We just can’t. It’s been too long (8 fricken years!), there are too many like players in the lineup (I prefer Eberle), and mostly because we simply can’t wait.

Yak and Gagner for Christian Ehrhoff and Zengus Girgensons. We fill two holes, while Buffalo gets big upside and can draft an elite centre.

Fortunately or unfortunately it’s the only way. This has to be a playoff calibre team in 14-15.

2. HugThePost says:

John Chambers:

I agree with you, I think next year they have to take several forward steps.

I don’t like the idea of trading Yak though; I just don’t think the return would be fair. Why do you prefer Eberle? I think if a piece of the WonderKid Core is moved, it is Eberle. He is an established nhl player and comes with some warts, but I think he gets the most value in a trade. I really don’t care if moving Eberle upsets Hall like some suggest it will. I think the Stanley Cup in his hands while skating around Roger’s Arena will sooth that sore spot.

3. Clay says:

God I hope Marincin is the real deal. There’s only two things that really worry me at this point 1) the sample size is small, so maybe he’s still running on adrenalin, and 2) he hasn’t delivered enough thunderous bodychecks.

In all seriousness, I worry that once the poor kid goes through a bit of a slump (which is inevitable), he’ll get the Gilbert Gilbert treatment from fans and MSM. Too soft. I cringe just thinking about it.

Edmonton would’ve run Lidstrom out of town on a rail.

That said, the emergence of Marincin may be more significant than that of any of the #1 overalls. It feels like mana from heaven.

4. Cobbler says:

I really don’t understand the reasoning behind moving Schultz out of town. He is 23, leading the team in D scoring, is about 45th in NHL D scoring. He has played a grand total of 110 NHL games.

I get the woeful defensive play, but to me this is giving up on a player far too early for all the wrong reasons.

Schultz needs a reasonable 2 year deal. 2 * $3MM and lets see if he can keep up the offense and improve that defensive game.

More importantly pair Schultz with a top D and I bet we see a better player in 2 years.

5. Dominoiler says:

Wow, Bruce.. That was a great summary, I never could have expected so much detail.. Was a great read, for a hockey nut of course, and I’m thankful you’ve stepped forward to do this kinda reporting you’re own way.. Really impressed, now lets draft him :D

6. Ducey says:

Cobbler:
    I really don’t understand the reasoning behind moving Schultz out of town.He is 23, leading the team in D scoring, is about 45th in NHL D scoring.He has played a grand total of 110 NHL games.

Schultz needs a reasonable 2 year deal.2 * $3MM and lets see if he can keep up the offense and improve that defensive game.

We must trade all young players so that we can watch them blossom elsewhere.

Because if you don’t have a good CF% when you have ~100 games on a shitty team, you never will improve.

I remember a wise man around here saying Dmen develop by the sundial. I guess the lack of sun shining on the Oilers has caused everyone to use a stopwatch.

7. russ99 says:

Geez, now we’re trading both Yak and Schultz this summer? For what, more futures?

How about we stop this trial by fire and add a few decent NHL veterans to the group to mentor them instead?

Not to mention some actual coaching.

8. Lois Lowe says:

I get that the Oilers need to make changes, but I am not on board with moving Yak or Schultz just yet. There is no way that the Oilers know what they have in either player and Yak especially has far too much upside. More NHL players in the bottom 6 and more NHL players on the back end and this team takes a big step forward.

The whole thing can be summed up with Because Oilers.

Here’s Justin’s 5v5 TOI in his rookie year and his corsi with various partners:

Player TOI
    SCHULTZ, JUSTIN 796min CF=44%
    SCHULTZ, NICK 544min CF=45.4/%
    WHITNEY, RYAN 120min CF=36.4% (god gord man!)
    SMID, LADISLAV 62min : CF=-39.5% (lordy)
    FISTRIC, MARK 34min : CF=50.7%

So there’s his rookie year. Played 2nd pair (as a rookie, Because OIlers) with Nick who was almost to the bottom of the elevator shaft.

2nd most minutes with post surgery Barbaro. Love that Tambellin.

Nuff said about that year.

This year:

SCHULTZ, JUSTIN 1039min CF=43.1%
    FERENCE, ANDREW 388min CF=42.6%
    SCHULTZ, NICK 262min CF=38.4% (bottom of shaft)
    BELOV, ANTON 211min CF=49.25%
    GREBESHKOV, DENIS 46min CF=47.4%
    MARINCIN, MARTIN 37min CF=53.4% (small sample, but WHHEEE!!!)
    FRASER, MARK 37min CF=44.1%

So this year he’s off the map with Nick, who looks done as a NHLer and is a healthy scratch in CBJ (oh I wish his brother still posted on twitter)

His most common line mate is Ferrence and its a mix of 2nd pairing and 1st pairing QC.

This is over Ference’s current ability I think. Ference was a good 3rd pairing guy in BOS and played 2nd pairing with another vet when needed.

That’s probably at the top of his ability, so 1st/2nd pairing with a rookie is just a bad idea.

So I think that given easier 5v5 minutes, even with Ference and we’d see Badger bloom.

Could also use a Chuckles Huddy as his coach.

Also,

Marincin, on the other hand, has basically had Petry for 357mi of his 451min.

Marincin with Petry 49.8%, without Petry 48.5%

Certainly good without him as well, but having Petry to hold his hand as he enters the NHL cannot be undersold in how Marincin is adapting to the NHL.

I’m not trying to take anything away from Marincin, I think he’s been well coached in the AHL and has some great instincts as a hockey player. I just think playing next to Petry is like slipping into a warm bath and learning from Nick Shultz/Barbaro is more like Bambi on ice.

Playing the toughs with Ference is similar.

I’ve looked at a lot of games individually and when Shultz and Ference are getting the easier starts behind Pety – X, then definitely perform better.

If I had my druthers we’d see next year:

Markov-Petry
    Marincin-Gilbert (or other Actual NHL RH Dman)
    Ference- Shultz
    Klef

As the opening day Dcorps

I don’t trade Shultz unless it means a much better Dman signed for term is coming back.

10. The Great One says:

It’s worth noting that some good NHL teams are not shy about moving their promising young prospects if they can get the right return.

Lombardi has certainly done that in LA and, of course, Boston has traded away Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin.

Considering that Thornton, Kessel and Seguin are all in the top 20 in scoring in the NHL you would think Boston might be hurting instead of being the second best team in the league.

Amazing what a smart GM can accomplish.

11. rbg says:

russ99,

Yeh.. like Ference !
    Wait… nvm

12. 719 says:

I like Doug MacLean’s idea of taking our top 6 and making it a top 9. Something along the lines of:

Hall-Gagner-Perron

Lander-Nuge-Eberle

Hendricks-Gordon-Yakupov

Our D, well it needs some tweaking:

Klefbom-1st line veteran D (Markov, Boyle)

Marincin-Petry

Ferrence-Schultz

No need to trade any of the kids. I don’t think you win a trade if you trade one of them, look at how the Seguin trade worked out, Dallas is the clear winner.

13. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: I was thinking about Shultz the Younger the other day and I think a lot of his CF% has to do with Dmates and situation.

I agree with this. I’d also add that I think Marincin’s physical ability give him an edge of Schultz in the defensive zone, and that probably has an effect on that CF% too.

14. The Great One says:

719:

No need to trade any of the kids.I don’t think you win a trade if you trade one of them, look at how the Seguin trade worked out, Dallas is the clear winner.

Not really…

15. Lois Lowe says:

The Great One,

Oh DSF, Thornton was traded by O’Connell in the midst of a losing season. The other two were traded by Chiarelli. If O’Connell was so smart, why did he get the axe?

16. theres oil in virginia says:

The Great One: Lombardi has certainly done that in LA…

You mean Colt Teubert?

17. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia: You mean Colt Teubert?

The notion that you don’t ever trade away players like Yakupov and Schultz because of what they may become some day (Bure and Orr have been mentioned, LOL) is daft.

If you can improve your team…you pull the trigger.

18. cc says:

719:
    I like Doug MacLean’s idea of taking our top 6 and making it a top 9.Something along the lines of:

Hall-Gagner-Perron
    Lander-Nuge-Eberle
    Hendricks-Gordon-Yakupov

I agree with this theory. Draft the BPA – Keep Gagner for one more year, maybe two. And sign a guy like Kulemin, which would drop Hendricks to the 4th line.

Hall-Gagner-Perron
    Lander-Nuge-Eberle
    Kulemin-Gordon-Yakupov

Hendricks-?-Gazdic/Pitlick/Smyth

19. Hammers says:

Woodguy:

The whole thing can be summed up with Because Oilers.

Here’s Justin’s 5v5 TOI in his rookie year and his corsi with various partners:

PlayerTOI
    SCHULTZ, JUSTIN796minCF=44%
    SCHULTZ, NICK544minCF=45.4/%
    WHITNEY, RYAN120minCF=36.4% (god gord man!)
    SMID, LADISLAV62min : CF=-39.5% (lordy)
    FISTRIC, MARK34min : CF=50.7%

So there’s his rookie year.Played 2nd pair (as a rookie, Because OIlers) with Nick who was almost to the bottom of the elevator shaft.

2nd most minutes with post surgery Barbaro. Love that Tambellin.

Nuff said about that year.

This year:

SCHULTZ, JUSTIN1039minCF=43.1%
    FERENCE, ANDREW388min CF=42.6%
    SCHULTZ, NICK262min CF=38.4% (bottom of shaft)
    BELOV, ANTON211min CF=49.25%
    GREBESHKOV, DENIS46min CF=47.4%
    MARINCIN, MARTIN37minCF=53.4% (small sample, but WHHEEE!!!)
    FRASER, MARK37min CF=44.1%

This is over Ference’s current ability I think.Ference was a good 3rd pairing guy in BOS and played 2nd pairing with another vet when needed.

Could also use a Chuckles Huddy as his coach.

Also,

Marincin, on the other hand, has basically had Petry for 357mi of his 451min.

Marincin with Petry 49.8%, without Petry 48.5%

I’m not trying to take anything away from Marincin, I think he’s been well coached in the AHL and has some great instincts as a hockey player.I just think playing next to Petry is like slipping into a warm bath and learning from Nick Shultz/Barbaro is more like Bambi on ice.

Playing the toughs with Ference is similar.

If I had my druthers we’d see next year:

Markov-Petry
    Marincin-Gilbert (or other Actual NHL RH Dman)
    Ference- Shultz
    Klef

As the opening day Dcorps

20. The Great One says:

Lois Lowe:
    The Great One,

Hanging on to players just because they might become more than they are some day gets you a Hemsky and a Gagner.

21. ididtheiggy says:

So, we’ve all seen the schedule. Is this the Oilers last win of the season?

22. Lois Lowe says:

The Great One,

Boston didn’t improve after dealing Thornton though. They finished last in their division the next year, and that was AFTER they got Chara and Savard in the offseason.

23. John Chambers says:

The Great One,

You’re bang on here. Drafting #1 overall should net you the best raw asset, but the GM needs to transform that collection of assets into the best team.

We have a sublime set of wingers, but a hole at #2 C and a crop of out of their depth Dmen. It seems fairly obvious to me that we need to borrow from our position of strength to address an area of extreme weakness.

Why keep Eberle over Yak? Because Eberle can deliver 60-70 pts in the here and now. Again, I don’t want to wait until 2018 for Nail Yakupov to hit his potential. If we do we’ll be taking valuable at-bats away from others who can contribute offense and 2-way play in a manner superior to Yakupov.

Québéc traded Sundin, Nolan, and Lindros. They didn’t win all of those trades, but they built a mix of players that grew until a whole that was greater than the sum of their skates.

24. Ducey says:

Was tooling around Extra Skater.

The Oilers are 3rd last in CF% at 43.3%.

The interesting part is that they are 21st in Corsi Against. They are dead last in Corsi For.

I had always been of the impression that the problem was preventing shots against. The bigger problem seems to be generating shots for.

25. theres oil in virginia says:

The Great One: No, I mean Brayden Schenn, Jonathan Bernier, Thomas Hickey and Jack Johnson (although Lombardi didn’t draft the latter).

If you can improve your team…you pull the trigger.

Ha! That was intended as a joke. However, looking at your list, which one of those assets did Lombardi sell low on? (Why is Hickey included in your list? He was waived.) They were all (sans Hickey, obviously) highly sought-after at the time of sale.

26. rich says:

Lois Lowe,

Totally agree on Yak. We don’t know what kind of player we have yet here and it will be very difficult for MacT to get value back, consequently I don’t see him leaving. Unfortunate that so many people here have already traded him.

How MacT addressed the blueline and the top 6 this summer is going to determine how soon it is before the Oilers return to the playoffs. Seems like he’ll have room for one overpay on a FA so if that’s the case, can a Markov make that difference and bridge the gap until some of the kids are ready or do you do this on a forward and then try to see if you can package a Schultz or a Gagner plus something to address the other need. Hope he does not have to trade the top pick regardless.

Will be interesting to watch for sure.

27. The Great One says:

Lois Lowe:
    The Great One,

And the following season they made the playoffs and the season after that they won the EC with 116 points.

It would appear that trading Thornton was far from fatal.

I would think, as an Oiler fan, that the concept of instant gratification should be foreign to you.

28. The Great One says:

theres oil in virginia: Ha!That was intended as a joke.However, looking at your list, which one of those assets did Lombardi sell low on?(Why is Hickey included in your list?He was waived.)They were all (sans Hickey, obviously) highly sought-after at the time of sale.

Lombardi seems to have a highly developed sense of who will contribute in the long term and moves out the players who can’t and he doesn’t seem to care one whit about draft pedigree.

That he found takers for players like Visnovsky, O’Sullivan, Teubert and Jack Johnson and got an actual return on them kind of speaks to that skill.

29. OilClog says:

Trading Yak over Eberle does not make this team better.

Trading a #1 overall after 120 games…does not make the team better.

If MacT can pull a Brewer/Pronger with Schultz do it.

30. Shredder says:

ididtheiggy,

Nah…they play Vancouver too…that win will be uber sweet.

31. The Great One says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers

#Oilers lines at morning skate

Hall-Gagner-Perron,

Lander-RNH-Pitlick,

Hendricks-Gordon-Smyth,

Gazdic-MacIntyre-Jones

32. The Great One says:

Ducey,

That’s been an issue for many years.

SF/G

2009/10 – 28th

2010/11 – 29th

2011/12 – 29th

2012/13 – 26th

2013/14 – 26th

33. gcw_rocks says:

I think the other thing this tells us is the Oilers European scouts are much better than their north American scouts right now. Looking outside the first round, the euro’s have found Marincin, Gernat, Rajala, and Lander. The north Americans have brought a whole lot of disappointment outside of maybe Davidson, who looks like a nice late round find, but still as long shot.

I am not including the most recent draft because that should treated as a mirage until we have seen them move a level. Remember Hamilton looked like a rock star coming out of his draft plus one season and Pitlick looked like a scorer.

34. CrazyCoach says:

gcw_rocks: I think the other thing this tells us is the Oilers European scouts are much better than their north American scouts right now. Looking outside the first round, the euro’s have found Marincin, Gernat, Rajala, and Lander.

Marincin was discovered here in Prince George, doing some nice things for a horrible Cougars team.

He looks like the same kid I did a write up for the Cult of Hockey a few years ago, but he does everything at a higher speed these days. Nothing flashy, never really sticks out until he makes that one beauty pass to spring someone or you check his stats at the end of the game and realize he was the best player on the ice.

Good job Martin!

35. Lloyd B. says:

Gadzic MacIntyre and Jones on one line…good grief. I reckon they don’t get three minutes and we’ll be holding our breath the entire time. Might be a game like the old days when we went to a fight and sometimes a hockey game would break out.

36. nelson88 says:

CrazyCoach,

wasn’t he drafted before he came over to play for the Cougars?

that 4th line for tonight is really something. is macintyre going to play center?

37. The Great One says:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 55m
    Kind of excited for this Gazdic/MacIntyre/Jones line.

Derek Blasutti ‏@dawgbone98 15m
    @mc79hockey sure, if you like snuff films…

38. icecastles says:

The Great One: Hall-Gagner-Perron,
    Lander-RNH-Pitlick,
    Hendricks-Gordon-Smyth,
    Gazdic-MacIntyre-Jones

I was really liking these combinations until I got the to fourth line.

Then Yakkedy Sax/benny Hill started playing in my head.

39. B S says:

OK, I thought it was pretty well agreed that Corsi is a team stat, and not very good for assessing Dmen so somebody find me where-else in the stats is Schultz more than a smidgen worse than Petry? I’ve already stated several times that “saw him bad” is fine to a limited degree, some of his mistakes are pretty obvious, but since his stats are mostly comparable with Petry he must be as good as Petry.

Sorry LT, but Schultz has better Quality of Competition and worse Quality of Team, but posts a better GA/60 (roughly equivalent when accounting for on ice save%). If Petry is worth keeping, then so is Schultz. Or do we like Petry’s eye-glow and intimidation more? Truculence? Soft goals?

Nothing compares with Marincin of course, but I always suggested he was a keeper, and am only surprised that he’s doing this well so early. Hopefully he doesn’t crash next year.

40. leadfarmer says:

The Great One,

This is a lineup made for tanking.

I see hammer and nails are playing together on the 4th line with “One eyed” Jones to form the Corsi line.

I do like the 3rd line. Would love to get Winnik on that line next year

41. Ducey says:

nelson88:

I’m sold. Edler for Gagner and Klefbom.

Edler has a NTC. Gillis hands them out like Skittles.

42. CrazyCoach says:

nelson88: wasn’t he drafted before he came over to play for the Cougars?

43. Oilanderp says:

Finally we have that size at center we’ve all been pining for.

44. Ducey says:

leadfarmer:
    The Great One,

This is a lineup made for tanking.

I do like the 3rd line.Would love to get Winnik on that line next year

Whats the over/under for how much icetime Smac gets? 2:00 minutes?

45. icecastles says:

Ducey: Whats the over/under for how much icetime Smac gets? 2:00 minutes?

2 minutes of icetime. That should put Smackintyre’s GAA/60 at, oh, about 120?

46. Ducey says:

TSNRyanRishaug: For those wondering why no recall for Arcobello, he’s banged up right now, so Macintyre got the call.

47. jb says:

John Chambers:

I’ve seen Ehrhoff’s name listed one too many times as the ideal target. I truly don’t understand.. Yak at an alltime low value for Christrian fucking Ehrhoff? Your delusional.. I’d find a new team to cheer for if you were GM.

Go ahead and be one of the ignorant morons to turn on Yak in year 1.5. Sorry to be so harsh but the first few posts here just plain piss me off. I’m done with fan/media opinions till summer.

48. Henry says:

The Great One:
    mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey55m
    Kind of excited for this Gazdic/MacIntyre/Jones line.

Derek Blasutti ‏@dawgbone9815m
    @mc79hockey sure, if you like snuff films…

Think I’ll watch the game just for the chance to see big SMac take a faceoff. Bet the linesman will be reaching for the drop and skedaddling.

49. nelson88 says:

CrazyCoach: I stand corrected. It gives credence to my argument that the local ownership (hopefully changing soon) couldn’t find a good hockey player right in their backyard.

50. icecastles says:

Henry: just for the chance to see big SMac take a faceoff.

Fixed:

just for the chance to see big SMac take someone’s face off.

51. CrazyCoach says:

nelson88: i hear ya. It has been many years since I spent a summer in PG but you definitely deserve a better hockey team.

Word has it that former Cougars, Dan Hamhuis and Eric Brewer, along with local business man and great hockey guy (I trained him), Greg Pocock are going to buy the team..

52. nelson88 says:

Not to add fuel to the Yak debate as the whole bloody team has regressed which is at the feet of coaching/management but the Yak for a high draft pick angle is interesting.

- more likely that you can get near “full” value on Yak by taking on the gamble and development timeline of a high draft pick rather than shooting for a top tier established player.

- if you trade small Yak what do you do with big Yak? I thought I had read the Oilers were his favourite team due to the Nail connection. Would a trade affect his decision to come over.

- the expected denials aside, I still believe there is a greater than 50% chance Weber gets traded (not necessarily to the Oilers) in the next 18 months. Nashville won’t take Yak but if he was the centerpiece of a deal that brought back the Sabres 1st overall pick that would significantly change the dynamic of the package the Oilers could put together (or just draft Ekblad)

Hammers: I don’t think Gilbert comes back but M.Green may . So put Marincin with Schultz and Green (R) with Klefbom . Ference is your extra but would probably play 60-70 games . Nurse needs his 9 games . Not against Markov with Petry if you could get him .

Matt Greene is not what the Oilers need.

Sometimes 3rd pairing, sometimes healthy scratch, slow, off the glass and out.

No thanks.

An Actual top 4 Dman please.

Oilers have lots of 3rd pairing guys.

54. FastOil says:

Journal headline
    ‘Jordan Eberle hurt; Edmonton Oilers recall enforcer Steve MacIntyre’

I wonder if other team’s fans get headlines like this. Because Oilers. I suppose Smac is to beatdowns what Eberle is to scoring?

55. delooper says:

FastOil:
    Journal headline
    ‘Jordan Eberle hurt; Edmonton Oilers recall enforcer Steve MacIntyre’

56. The Great One says:

nelson88:
    Not to add fuel to theYak debate as the whole bloody team has regressed which is at the feet of coaching/management but the Yak for a high draft pick angle is interesting.

- the expected denials aside, I still believe there is a greater than 50% chance Weber gets traded (not necessarily to the Oilers)in the next 18 months. Nashville won’t take Yak but if he was the centerpiece of a deal that brought back the Sabres 1st overall pick that would significantly change the dynamic of the package the Oilers could put together (or just draft Ekblad)

Weber is a due a $13M bonus payment on July 1st.

If Nashville pays it, chances are he’s not going anywhere.

57. AZOIL says:

What did Lombardi get back in the Simmonds trade? Who was all involved?

58. G Money says:

The Great One: Gazdic-MacIntyre-Jones

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That’s the “strong like dumptruck, smart like dumptruck, falls down like dumptruck” line. Or something like that.

59. Bag of Pucks says:

The Great One: Quite aware of that but my point was the Bruins have never been shy about moving high profile pieces to improve their team and they’re doing just fine.

All this speculation that the Oil will trade Yak, Nuge, Schultz, etc. early in their career doesn’t seem to jibe with the typical actions of Oiler mgmt. Rather than worrying about them giving up on one of the phenoms too early, I think the more probable projection is they’ll carry the asset long past it’s best buy date and sell it for pennies on the dollar.

Paajarvi for Perron is a great example of the type of action a decisive GM can make to maximize and asset AND balance his roster. IMO we need more of this decisiveness, not less.

60. Bag of Pucks says:

AZOIL:
    What did Lombardi get back in the Simmonds trade? Who was all involved?

61. delooper says:

G Money: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It’s called handicapping.

62. The Great One says:

Bag of Pucks: Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd for Mike Richards and Rob Bordson. As it was then, assessing this trade is still dependent upon what kind of player Brayden Schenn ultimately becomes. Early returns certainly favour Lombardi/Kings

Lombardi also traded Jack Johnson and a 1st for Jeff Carter.

So, in effect, he traded Simmonds, Schenn, Jack Johnson a 1st and a 2nd for Richards and Carter.

Lombardi obviously got the 2 best players in those trades and with the emergence of Voynov, Johnson had become expendable.

Now that’s BOLD!

63. The Great One says:

Bag of Pucks: Nice point. One of the more persistent memes on the Interweb seems to be this idea that the Oilers prematurely trade their prospects. There are some legitimate examples to support this assertion (Cogliano, Broadziak, Comrie), but I think there is WAY more examples of Oil management holding onto players far too long until the asset has marginal if not negative value (Dubnyk, Souray, Whitney, Hemsky, Horcoff, Pouliot, Schremp, Plante, Gagner, etc.).

All great points.

64. delooper says:

So I hope we’re going to see some HULK SMASH tonight. Can’t put the Hanson Bros together like that and not hope for some fireworks.

65. Bag of Pucks says:

The Great One: That trade can’t be assessed without looking at the other shoe that dropped close to the same time.

Lombardi also traded Jack Johnson and a 1st for Jeff Carter.

Now that’s BOLD!

No arm twisting needed here. I was a big fan of Richards & Carter before the Flyers dealt them. And the proof was certainly in the pudding as it brought the Kings a Cup.

Between Carter, Richards, and Seguin, there’s a cautionary tale for GMs in there somewhere about trading elite skill because they supposedly ‘party’ too hard.

66. The Great One says:

delooper:
    So I hope we’re going to see some HULK SMASH tonight.Can’t put the Hanson Bros together like that and not hope for some fireworks.

If Scott is not dressed and Tyler Myers injured, Tyler Ennis might be in for a busy night :)

67. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dominoiler:

Thanks. I’m a details kind of guy, too damn many of them for some people’s tastes. Draisaitl played a lot, and played well. I came away thinking a lot more highly of him as a possible fit. Will be interesting to see how he does against the Oil Kings on the weekend, I expect he’ll see a ton of Griffin Reinhart who has a good track record of making offensive players/lines disappear.

68. delooper says:

The Great One: It’ll be hilarious if Buffalo decides not to dress John Scott and the Bash Brothers® will be skating around looking for someone to fight.

IfScott is not dressed and Tyler Myers injured, Tyler Ennis might be in for a busy night

Ennis is from Edmonton. Maybe he wants to put on a show for his family.

69. Marc says:

delooper: Ennis is from Edmonton.Maybe he wants to put on a show for his family.

Fighting SMac would certainly do that.

70. Ribs says:

Sloppy play late in Tuesday’s 3-1 loss in Calgary has sent Ville Leino back to the press box. Zenon Konopka, scratched on Tuesday, will be inserted in Leino’s spot tonight and will play on the fourth line with John Scott and Matt Ellis. -Sabres.com

Let’s get ready to ruuuuummmmmbbbllllleeeee…..

Leino is such a strange case. 0G 12A in 50 games. He’s their highest paid forward.

Tyler Myers didn’t travel with the Sabres to start this road trip, and he won’t be leaving Buffalo anytime soon. There was some thought that Myers would join the team at some point during the trip, but Nolan said today that Myers will be out for at least another week. With Buffalo finishing the five-game road trip next Thursday in Nashville, that would put Myers’ return date to at least March 29 when the Sabres return home to face Tampa Bay.-Sabres.com

Was hoping to see this guy a bit closer. Oh well.

71. Ducey says:

Ribs,

Wow, Leino really made the most out of 1 good year. 53 pts in 81 games in 2010/11. Has otherwise had years of 9 pts, 11 pts, 25 pts, 6 pts and now 12. He has only 34 shots in 50 games. By comparison, Ryan Jones has 55 in 48 games.

All that for just $4.5 M a year (for another 3 after this). At age 30 he isn’t going to improve much.

Almost certain buyout candidate.

72. HiddenDarts says:

Ok. I’m going to need some help here: why is Leon Draisaitl “BIG” at 6’1″ 210lbs, while Sam Bennett and Sam Reinhart are “small” at 6’0″ 180lbs and 6’1″ 185lbs?

I see how Big D is heavier, which might help him transition to the pros, but he definitely doesn’t play a physical game.

I was under the impression that BIG CENTER meant 6’3″ or taller.

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 36s

McKenzie “in Edmonton they’ve finally bought into the way Eakins wants and it began with Hall on down”

74. Hammers says:

Woodguy: Matt Greene is not what the Oilers need.

Sometimes 3rd pairing, sometimes healthy scratch, slow, off the glass and out.

No thanks.

An Actual top 4 Dman please.

Oilers have lots of 3rd pairing guys.

75. Marcus Oilerius says:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 36s

If true, on the one hand, this is why Ference is captain.

On the other hand, it goes to show who’s the actual captain of the team.

76. commonfan14 says:

Lombardi also traded Jack Johnson and a 1st for Jeff Carter.

While Philly traded Richards and Carter together, Carter initially went to Columbus and played most of the year there.

I think you’re giving Lombardi too much credit if you think he expected to eventually get Carter too when he got Richards. It was very much a stand-alone deal.

It’s enough to credit him with jumping on the opportunity later when Carter Heatlied his way out of Columbus. That was huge.

Hammers: Sooner have Green than Fraser and after spending your $6 mill on Markov Green maybe all we can afford on a 2nd “D” . I do agree he is a 3rd line pairing but there are not to many with his experience for the “R” side

I don’t see any evidence Greene is better than Fraser at this point (haven’t looked at numbers). Greene was a pretty consistent HS a year ago iirc.

78. G Money says:

HiddenDarts:

I was under the impression that BIG CENTER meant 6’3″ or taller.

Geez man, you don’t think a 25-30 lb difference qualifies as “BIG”? That’s the size difference between our players and St Louis and LA.

At 210lbs, Draisaitl is already big enough to do that, you don’t have to wait for him to grow a la Yak, RNH, etc.

With the other two (Bennett and Reinhart), you do have to wait – notwithstanding that without a crystal ball, you don’t actually know how big they’ll be able to get without compromising the ability to play.

79. G Money says:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 36s

Do we believe this? By which I mean – as regular watchers of the team, is there visual evidence to confirm this?

I’m not so sure.

80. Ribs says:

Ducey:
    Ribs,

Wow, Leino really made the most out of 1 good year.53 pts in 81 games in 2010/11.Has otherwise had years of 9 pts, 11 pts, 25 pts, 6 pts and now 12.He has only 34 shots in 50 games.By comparison, Ryan Jones has 55 in 48 games.

All that for just $4.5 M a year (for another 3 after this).At age 30 he isn’t going to improve much.

Almost certain buyout candidate.

He’s like Fernando without the Colitis!

Nah, that’s not even fair to Pisani. Not sure what Buffalo was thinking with that signing.

81. icecastles says:

G Money: I advocate the need for bigger players as much as anyone, but not for face punching reasons. Rather, what we need are skilled players who are also big enough to regularly win puck battles in the corner, and position battles in front of the net.

Penner was good evidence of this in his time here. Ignoring the debate of whether he was lazy or slow or whatever, the one thing we constantly saw with him was that although he didn’t hit guys or play a ‘physical’ game, he was extraordinarily difficult to knock off the puck or to push aside when screening the goalie. To my mind, this, more than anything, is the strongest argument for the advantage size (esp. weight/CoG) brings.

82. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I’m expecting MacT to pull a Lamoriello and trade our no. 1 pick for a legitimate impact player at the draft. It of course depends on return but I think MacT is not afraid to pursue this avenue. The idea of trading Yak for another high pick seems like taking two steps backwards. Unlikely.

83. delooper says:

icecastles: Penner was good evidence of this in his time here. Ignoring the debate of whether he was lazy or slow or whatever, the one thing we constantly saw with his was that although he didn’t hit guys or play a ‘physical’ game, he was extraordinarily difficult to knock off the puck or to push aside when screening the goalie. To my mind, this, more than anything, is the strongest argument for the advantage size (esp. weight/CoG) brings.

84. Bag of Pucks says:

Ribs: He’s like Fernando without the Colitis!

In fairness to Buffalo, Leino did have the look of an emerging star the most recent season that Philly went to the finals. They made the classic small sample size error.

Quick summary of tonight’s game

86. icecastles says:

delooper: I have no idea why the Oilers traded him. As soon as he was put on the ice, the puck went from the D zone to the O zone, and it stayed there. He didn’t score a lot, sure, but he was exactly what we hoped Laraque would turn into.

Totally agreed. Though as far as scoring goes, he led the team in scoring 2 of the years he was here, and is on a very very short list of Oilers who’ve a 30+ goal season in any recent years.

87. G Money says:

icecastles: he was extraordinarily difficult to knock off the puck

delooper: As soon as he was put on the ice, the puck went from the D zone to the O zone, and it stayed there

Exactly right. I should have added that – in addition to puck battles in the corner and position in front of the net, bigger players are harder to knock off the puck when they do have it.

Yes, tenacity matters, but for any given amount of tenacity, a bigger player is tougher to dispossess. Penner was never a particularly tenacious player, but his sheer size at 245lbs made him a beast at possession.

We have players who are incredibly gifted with the puck in space, but it means sweet puck all when they don’t have space or the puck.

88. RexLibris says:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 36s

89. delooper says:

Quick summary of tonight’s game

Fearmongering! :)

The Oilers are in no danger of winning too many games to end the season. Other than Buffalo there’s few other games they’ll be able to squeak points out of. And management seems to be taking the throttle off the roster, too.

RexLibris: Encouraging news and something that, if it becomes verifiable, will be something to finally run counter to the persistent narrative in rival markets that the Oilers’ young core is a collection of spoiled brats who lack a work ethic.

91. Bag of Pucks says:

If it’s true, doesn’t it mean they resisted Eakins for 75% of the season before relenting? How does that dispel the image of entitlement?

The thing that always stood out to me about the Eakins hire was a 4 year deal for a rookie coach. That signalled loud and clear that MacT saw the inmates running the asylum, so he brought in a disciplinarian and gave him an iron clad deal. Mgmt anticipated a power struggle in the dressing room and they ramped up for it.

92. FastOil says:

delooper: They’re playing against Buffalo. You want them to call Wayne Gretzky out of retirement for one game… against Buffalo?

Good idea.

I thought the way it read was bizarre. Eberle hurt so recall Macintyre. Of course not related directly, we hope.

93. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: I don’t see any evidence Greene is better than Fraser at this point(haven’t looked at numbers). Greene was a pretty consistent HS a year ago iirc.

Matt Greene;
    13-14
    1.52 EVGA 8th best in league
    overall 6%
    0-20 10.3%
    20-30 6.5%
    inside 20ft 26%

injured 12-13

11-12
    1.93 EVGA 34th best in league
    total 7.9%
    0-20 17.2% most goals Alec Martinez Side.
    20-30 12.2%
    inside 20ft 26.8%

10-11
    1.84 EVGA 21st best
    Total 7.1%
    0-20 12.7%
    20-30 8.7%
    inside 20ft 30.8%

9-10
    1.74 EVGA 14th best
    total 7.05
    0-20 16.5%
    20-30 9.85
    inside 20ft 27.4%

the guy has one of the best EVGA rates in the league.
    Protects the box from high % penetration.

paired on 3rd comp he averages 1.76 EVGA/60 providing a .57 EVGA/60 cushion for the other d pairs.

Marincin Facing 1st Comp is 1.84 EVGA/60
    Very domintae with Schultz/Petry.

that kind of Chara/boychuck numbers provides .67 EVGA/60 cushion versus the 1st comp average of 2.51 EVGA/60

Greene is the kind of Box Protection, EVGA buffer dman the oilers need!

That third Pairing would be allowed to havea 3.39 EVGA/60 and the team would average 2.33 EVGA/60

Marincin/j Schultz
    Klefbom/Petry
    Ference/Greene
    XXX

94. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw LT, based on your Sens post on puckrant, you may find Clarke MacArthur’s comments today interesting.

Looks like Hemmer’s found a home ; )

95. Ribs says:

Lowetide: We’ll know when they start outshooting people. 48% the other night, can they go 52% tonight?

Just keep the puck away from that Ehrhoff guy! Ten shots against the Oilers the last time they played!

96. RexLibris says:

That the team is buying in is one thing.

I agree though, executing is the next hurdle.

97. RexLibris says:

Btw, I sent the draft spreadsheet yesterday. Did it come through alright? I wasn’t certain if the file size was going to be a problem.

98. Ducey says:

FastOil: Good idea.

Isn’t it Pitlick for Eberle and SMac for Hendricks?

It sounds like they would have brought up Arco had he not been hurt, and otherwise don’t want to mess up the OKC lineup too much.

RexLibris:

100. Jon K says:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 36s

Let’s hope so. I’ve made my views on Hall’s immaturity known before. If he is finally buying in to the team’s system that would be great news. Like it or not, as Hall goes so too does Eberle, Nuge, and Schultz.

101. thejonrmcleod says:

Lowetide: Yeah, I’ve been looking at it a lot. Thanks for sending, outstanding and massive!!!!!

Would produce lots of snickers from a group of junior highers.

102. Marc says:

delooper: I have no idea why the Oilers traded him.As soon as he was put on the ice, the puck went from the D zone to the O zone, and it stayed there. He didn’t score a lot, sure, but he was exactly what we hoped Laraque would turn into.

He was just over a year from UFA and either they didn’t want to resign him or didn’t think he resign (or both) so they decided they’d get maximum value for him by trading him then instead of waiting until the draft, or the following trade deadline.

It’s basically the opposite of what they did with Hemsky.

Matt Greene is probably done. Lombardi trade a really promising forward prospect to Buffalo for his replacement in MacNabb.

At this point, he is only a 3rd pairing defensemen at best, right. And we want Ference to be our 3rd paring LD next year, right. That would be horrible.

Marincin and Petry as one of the top two pairings, and a new hire and Justin Schultz.

Or even better if MacT can find another pair of top 4 D, and Ference and Schultz is the 3rd pairing.

If Greene is coming as a #7 for a low salary on a one year contract, I can live with that.

104. delooper says:

Marc
    It’s basically the opposite of what they did with Hemsky.

Right, but I didn’t understand why they treated him so poorly. He was scratched even when he was playing well. He wasn’t playing the way management seemed to want him to play, but he was still effective.

Quick update on some of the college signings so far

106. RexLibris says:

thejonrmcleod: Would produce lots of snickers from a group of junior highers.

Which is nothing at all like the Lowetide blogging community.

;)

Glad I wasn’t the first to point that out.

107. RexLibris says:

108. delooper says:

LT, the OilersNation blurb on you goes like this:

Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere’s shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.

Shouldn’t “century” be “decade”? I know the Oilers aren’t 100 years old and I seriously doubt you are too. 100 year old people aren’t that into 70′s music.

109. Lois Lowe says:

delooper,

Whooosh!

110. delooper says:

Lois Lowe:

Whooosh!

Thanks for all the help?

111. theres oil in virginia says:

Makes me think of this (progressive rock warning, drum solo warning, general weirdness not up to Sam the Eagle’s standard warning).

I do remember one thing.
    It took hours and hours, but
    By the time I was done with it
    I was so involved
    I didn’t know what to think.

I carried it around with me for days and days.
    Playing little games
    Like not looking at it for a whole day
    And then…looking at it.
    To see if I still liked it.
    I did!

I repeat myself when under stress.
    I repeat myself when under stress.
    I repeat myself when under stress.
    I repeat myself when under stress.
    I repeat!

The more I look at it
    The more I like it.
    I do think it’s good.
    The fact is
    No matter how closely I study it
    No matter how I take it apart
    No matter how I break it down
    It remains consistent.
    I wish you were here to see it!
    I like it!

112. Ryan says:

RexLibris: Thanks. I’d like to go a bit more in-depth on the impact player side of things and then add data for the 2009 groups next, but we’ll see what life has in store.

What’re you working on?

113. Ryan says:

Quick update on some of the college signings so far

Christian Folin seems to be getting plenty of hype.

delooper:
    LT, the OilersNation blurb on you goes like this:

Shouldn’t “century” be “decade”? I know the Oilers aren’t 100 years old and I seriously doubt you are too.100 year old people aren’t that into 70′s music.

It be a joke.

115. cc says:

Holy Shit! Hemsky just scored a beauty goal. Might be the best of the season.

116. cabbiesmacker says:

Whatta goal by Hemsky. Wow

117. hunter1909 says:

When in doubt, draft the most Canadian centreman. Reinhart looks like that dude. Give him Sam Gagner as a winger and watch them fly.

Players like him are the kind who win championships.

118. Marcus Oilerius says:

On hfboards the Sens fans had like 3 pages of “wooooooooooooooow” and “sign him now” comments.

119. Marcus Oilerius says:

The video. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013021045-493-h

The gif! http://i.imgur.com/IE4CseQ.gif

I’m so happy for that guy right now.

120. The Great One says:

hunter1909:

Players like him are the kind who win championships.

When in doubt…draft the guy from the OHL.

Look at the scoring leaders.

121. book¡je says:

Those stupid Senator announcers getting all excited about Hemsky, don’t they know about his body language?

122. delooper says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    The video. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013021045-493-h

The gif! http://i.imgur.com/IE4CseQ.gif

I’m so happy for that guy right now.

Benefit of being on an east-coast team, all the attention.

123. hunter1909 says:

The Great One: When in doubt…draft the guy from the OHL.
    Look at the scoring leaders.

Yzerman from the OHL, Sakic from the West.

Oilers from the west, probably get Sakic longer than Yzerman, the fancy dan from Ontariario.

No need to counter, repartee, whatever. That’s as far as my argument goes. Messier over Dave Keon.

124. delooper says:

I dunno, I think I’ve seen way more amazing Hemsky goals. Goal of the year? Has this year been that ho-hum.

Steve MacIntyre a HS. Dammit!

126. hunter1909 says:

Sabres clearly look worse than the Oilers, who for their whatever look confused playing an inferior team.

Enjoying the Buffalo feed.

127. delooper says:

Lowetide: It be a joke.

Ah. I imagine either people already know who you are, in which case they wouldn’t read the blurb, or people don’t know who you are and they giggle that whomever wrote the blurb must have meant something other than century.

128. The Great One says:

Wayne Simmonds with 2G tonight.

Tied with Eberle and second on the Flyers in points.

Don’t think that trade is on the Flyer’s agenda.

129. hunter1909 says:

Sabres announcers pimping Konopka lmao

Opened a bottle of brandy tonight. Time for another to celebrate the best game of the season.

130. delooper says:

hunter1909:
    Sabres announcers pimping Konopka lmao

Gotta keep morale up.

131. delooper says:

Steve MacIntyre a HS. Dammit!

I guess he would have replaced Hendricks.

132. hunter1909 says:

delooper: Gotta keep morale up.

Gadzik’s a coveted player. Oilers got themselves a gem. Bruins fans rate this kid highly, I know this for a fact.

Tonight’s game: The Calder Cup final.

133. Oilanderp says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Man, I wish the Oilers had a guy like Hemsky. Someday, maybe.

134. Jon K says:

The Great One: When in doubt…draft the guy from the OHL.

Look at the scoring leaders.

This. All other things equal, take the guy who competes with the deeper talent pool.

135. Oilanderp says:

Jon K,

And if you’re not sure, take the youngest one.

136. Logan91 says:

cc:
    Holy Shit!Hemsky just scored a beauty goal.Might be the best of the season.

137. G Money says:

I’ve seen three (THREE – ah ah ah) good defensive plays from Gagner and a couple of nifty offensive sortees from him as well. Second game in a row. Corner turned or just soft Eastern opposition?

138. The Great One says:

G Money:
    I’ve seen three (THREE – ah ah ah) good defensive plays from Gagner and a couple of nifty offensive sortees from him as well.Second game in a row.Corner turned or just soft Eastern opposition?

Sign the man!!!

139. Rebilled says:

Our goalie has to step up for the #1 pick….

140. hunter1909 says:

Oilers seriously need a grease ball to just stand in the slot during power plays.

This isn’t particle physics.

141. vesci says:

Ice 2 Hitmen 1 in the 2nd.
    Chase 1G Reinhart 1G 1A

Smyh had that open net! Ah, man!

Taylor Hall. Man his arms must be tired but it’s 1-0.

Hall (Schultz, Perron)

145. RexLibris says:

Ryan: What’re you working on?

Sorry, stepped away for awhile there.

I was/am working on a review of the draft from ’79 onwards, examining efficiency using LT’s baselines of a five year embargo and 200+ game threshold.

I looked at it team by team, year by year, and round by round.

Sneak peek: the Tampa Bay Lightning couldn’t find a player at the draft with two hands and a map.

146. Marcus Oilerius says:

Oilers seem cured of one-pass-too-many-itis. It plagued them all of last year and for the start of this season.

147. hunter1909 says:

This is guaranteed to be the 100% bestist game of the 2013-14 season.

If I get 5 people to encourage me, I’ll drink another large brandy.

148. Kitchener says:

The 2013-14 Oilers aren’t playoff-ready yet, but good god we look great compared to Buffalo. Remember when we were 30th with no upside? Now we have Hall, Nuge, Smyth (the wiley vet returned to the fold), goalies, etc.

This game is a nice reminder of what rock bottom really looks like. Thank you, Buffalo.

149. SK Oiler Fan says:

Where the F has this PP been all season? Quick puck movement, puck retrieval, traffic, passes on the tape. And they didn’t even give up a 2 on 1!

150. RexLibris says:

Logan91: http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1415&id=582046

Two things.

First – beautiful, vintage, and I’ll love #83 for as long as I’m a hockey fan.

Second – screw you, Eastern Media. We’ve been watching that virtuoso play for years and it fell on deaf ears. So you can say you “discovered” this thing of beauty, but just like Leonard Cohen’s music, Edmonton found it first.

151. Rebilled says:

Hemsky looked good.

hunter1909:
    This is guaranteed to be the 100% bestist game of the 2013-14 season.

If I get 5 people to encourage me, I’ll drink another large brandy.

Mmmmm/ Brandy.

153. Kitchener says:

Jultz shooting slappers is encouraging. Is that 3 posts in two games?

9-13 5×5 that period. Hilarious! 10-0 on pp though.

155. OilClog says:

Makes me sick everytime these tsn guys talk about Hemsky now.. “Oh would you look at that.. Wow”

Yea! For the last fuxking decade we’ve been looking at that. If that trade was the other way around and Hemsky was coming from out East for the last decade a bloody kings ransom would be demanded!!

156. frjohnk says:

Not only is Scrivens playing well, he is a leader right now and looks to be a good one. Nice find MacT

157. sliderule says:

I see the oilers are playing a lot of 1-3-1 trap.

Any idea how that affects Corsi because you really aren’t putting any offensive zone pressure on.

158. delooper says:

sliderule:
    I see the oilers are playing a lot of 1-3-1 trap.

Any idea howthat affects Corsi because you really aren’tputting any offensive zone pressure on.

That could be a fun project. Compare similar quality teams (say having similar end of season point totals) with corsi-by-system description.

159. Ryan says:

What’s up with Hall’s chin?

160. Ryan says:

Erik staal’s going to be moved for financial reasons from the Canes….that would be interesting.

161. The Great One says:

CF% 5V5

Buffalo – 52.6

Edmonton – 47.4

162. The Great One says:

Ryan:
    What’s up with Hall’s chin?

It’s that pubis thing.

163. Ryan says:

frjohnk:

That was pretty sick with Scrivens going Hextall on conacher. Scrivens was a great find.

164. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s about what I expected for the year as a whole. Lose the battle at evens, but kill it on the PP when the talent has more time and space. I just don’t understand how Eakins could F the PP like this. Unlike tonight of course. Buff has issues though.

165. delooper says:

The Buffalo TV announcers are using corsi. Even in their TV graphics.

166. delooper says:

That’s really brave of Hall to play through his pubitis.

167. Ryan says:

The Great One:
    CF% 5V5

Buffalo – 52.6

Edmonton – 47.4

Can someone with time on their hands and math on their brain show the relative contribution of dmen on Corsi?

To my eyes, it’s 75% dmen of which even Buffalo has a superior blue line to ours.

168. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Mmmmm/ Brandy.

Just cracked open a litre bottle. It’s great, I don’t drink it very often.

Okay forget about five: With Lowetide, I need two more before I get a drink.

my mistake 13-15 after one.

170. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hall has 4 shots and a post already. I’m loving his extra ice time.

sliderule:
    I see the oilers are playing a lot of 1-3-1 trap.

I think that might contribute, along with the dump and chase. I’m no expert, mind but that passive style can’t help.

172. jp says:

hunter1909:
    Sabres announcers pimping Konopka lmao

The gist was he didn’t get injured in losing decisively to Gazdic. Pretty funny. They really are desperate and simply trying to stay positive. Some serious respect for Gazdic for sure though.

And please, have another drink. I know I am.

173. SK Oiler Fan says:

There it is! the 2 on 1 on a PP. Eakins must have fixed the PP in the intermission.

174. Oilanderp says:

RexLibris,

Man, I would be extremely interested in reading that hefty tome once you are done. Where could I find it?

175. jp says:

Ryan:

I thought Jordan was the Staal who was going to be moved.

176. Ryan says:

jp: I thought Jordan was the Staal who was going to be moved.

That’s what I thought too.

They said Erik Staal during the insider trading segment during this broadcast.

177. sliderule says:

Fraser skated right by Scott.Didnt try to shove him out from screening.

Lucic was doing that to us.

Can’t happen.

178. Oilanderp says:

BUF penalty #82, 2 mins for hitting poor Schultz while he admired his pass.

179. Ryan says:

Ryan: That’s what I thought too.

They said Erik Staal during the insider trading segment during this broadcast.

They also said Jeff Skinner.

180. hunter1909 says:

jp: And please, have another drink. I know I am.

Ja.

Crap sports teams should be ashamed of themselves.

181. Oilanderp says:

The refs are trying to hand BUF the game by giving us so many PPs!

182. Derek says:

Where are Eberle and Yakupov? Why is RNH being punished with Lander and Pitlick on his wings? How has Klefbom looked since being called up? Edmonton is winning hockey games?

I go away to work for a month and the world goes crazy.

183. DBO says:

Traveled from St. John’s to Maui in 21 hrs yesterday, so Hunter have another. I am enjoying a few after a day on the beach. It feels like 12 45 am, but it’s only 5 15 pm so I am a wee bit tuned around.

No Oil out here, so my highlites come from you lads. How has Pitlick looked? Lander? And for the love of all things holy please play Klefbom with Schultz. Just seems like a natural fit. Huddy and Coffee part 2

184. The Great One says:

DBO:
    Traveled from St. John’s to Maui in 21 hrs yesterday, so Hunter have another.I am enjoying a few after a day on the beach. It feels like 12 45 am, but it’s only 5 15 pm so I am a wee bit tuned around.

Pitlick and Lander are playing like healthy scratches.

It’s Hall vs. the Sabres.

The Great One: Pitlick and Lander are playing like healthy scratches.

It’s Hall vs. the Sabres.

186. 106 and 106 says:

The Oilers are 9th in terms of man games lost to injury at this point – the Pens are the only playoff bound team in the 1-8 spots (at number 1).

187. The Great One says:

Lowetide: Lander is over 10 minutes after two, Pitlick is 5:27 and will play between 7 and 8 minutes. Seems reasonable.

Last chance Texaco.

Taking up ice time against the worst team in the league while accomplishing SFA is not a recipe for success.

188. Henry says:

Take a look at Hemmer’s goal again and watch the crowd get of their seat then off their feet.

That used to be me.

189. delooper says:

I haven’t noticed Pitlick. Lander I’ve noticed on the penalty kill.

190. Ryan says:

The Great One: Last chance Texaco.

191. Rebilled says:

Derek,

Eberle and Yak got traded for Luongo.

192. The Great One says:

striker:
    The Great One,

What’s the update on the Corsi at 2nd intermission?

Oilers 52,2

Sabres 47.7

Corsi for % after 40: 23-21 Oilers. Exciting!!!!

194. The Great One says:

Ryan: Honestly for anyone who thinks DSF is just a troll, the fact that he’s here watching Oilers vs Buffalo proves that wrong IMO.

Well, to be fair, I’m also watching Florida at Phoenix, Washington at LA and BIG BOY HOCKEY® (Anaheim at San Jose) at the same time.

195. Derek says:

Corsi for % after 40: 23-21 Oilers. Exciting!!!!

Percentage? Wait…..What?

Rebilled:
    Derek,

Eberle and Yak got traded for Luongo.

I applaud the move from a social media standpoint and with the recent on ice performance I’d say its a net gain in entertainment value for Edmonton.

196. hunter1909 says:

As take drink 3 everything starts to get hazy.

Never was any good watching abstract television screens while inebriated, or part thereof.

197. Rebilled says:

Derek,

I’d have to disagree. Luongo got traded for nothing.

198. The Great One says:

hunter1909:
    As take drink 3 everything starts to get hazy.

Go all in !!!!