SAIL ON, PARDUBICE PRINCE

This is the part of the movie where the camera pulls back, the tail lights flicker at the end of the driveway, and a lone figure in shadows raises a hand to wave goodbye. The reasons for leaving are known and have been discussed on many mornings and a few midnights, and anyone could have written the final scene. Both sides will heal, both sides will see the sunshine, but today is about moving on, about hearing the words and not having them sink in, about looking off into the distance at nothing at all.

Ales Hemsky is from Pardubice, which is an hour out of Prague. It’s about the size of Red Deer, and they celebrate hockey and their famous sons like Dom Hasek and our man Ales. He was barely more than a boy when he arrived from Hull, Quebec and junior hockey. Even as a teen he was so talented that Craig MacTavish dared not send him back to the Q, for fear they damage the youthful gem.

His skills were obvious from the moment we saw him, and unlike so many other first rounders Ales Hemsky learned the lessons set down by Craig MacTavish. He improved in the weaker areas and gained the trust of the coaching staff, to the point where his playing time grew from 12 minutes a night as a rookie to 16 minutes a night during the most important Oiler spring in the last 23 years.

The 2006 Stanley Cup run was a glorious moment in team history, and that team remains frozen in time. Each year that goes by makes the heart grow fonder, and today we say goodbye to the final member of the team to have been on the roster every day since. That 2005-06 team is the best way to remember Hemsky as an Oiler, but the long, gut-wrenching march from 2006 summer to today is impossible to set aside.

I don’t blame Ales, who left us breathless over and over again. The failure of the Edmonton Oilers 2006+ lies in management’s inability to cobble together anything resembling a playoff roster, and to a rebuild (the one started in 2010) that could not find balance. The Oilers of Hemsky could best be described as shorthanded from the moment their training camp roster became public, a problem that continues through this day.

Craig MacTavish picked up the phone this week in order to convince NHL general managers that his man could play. What an absolute shame. A talented man who signed as recently as two years ago with the idea he could be part of something special again, and it ends with another trade deadline goodbye.

Ales Hemsky grew tired of losing, and found freedom today on the QE2 heading out of town. It’s an emotional day for all of us, so I will wish you Godspeed and tell you that we sincerely hope you find your beach in Zihuatanejo.

We will never forget you, Ales Hemsky. That’s a promise.

186 Responses to "SAIL ON, PARDUBICE PRINCE"

1. prairieschooner says:

I think the Oilers did OK with the deal the market in general seems pretty soft.
    I will always remember Hemsky scoring after the guy missed the empty net.
    It was a classic Hemsky move.
    I hope Ottawa make the play offs

2. alice13 says:

Nicely done.

3. Ben says:

“Get busy winning, or get busy dying. That’s damn right.”

4. Profit says:

I knew this day would come but am unhappy still.

Hemsky will always be one of my favourites.

5. regwald says:

He has been my favorite Oiler for a long time now. I am sad to see him go. I was glad to be at Rexall last night to enjoy one more night of magic and to see Ales score another goal by flying down the right wing and blowing past the dman to score. A thing of beauty.

Sail on …

6. 106 and 106 says:

In Ales we trusted. I hope the world and the East see what we’ve seen all along – the Pardubice Prince. Walk on.

7. book¡je says:

The contract signed two years ago should have ended this Spring with Hemsky being part of a team who made the playoff season interesting and on the verge of being a real contender.

Nope, without any balance on the roster or strategy of any kind, the team’s rebuild has crash landed and is struggling to take flight.

That is because Tambellini failed completely in team building and Lowe failed completely in keeping Tambellini around long enough to cause a serious problem.

Hemsky had to go – it would have been cruel to keep him here. Really, the Oilers have done enough to him. I’m glad he is free. Sail on!

8. su_dhillon says:

He provided magic for over a decade, was the only reason to rune in on many nights and never ever player scared. God I will miss him. Wish they had found a home higher in the standings but I guess he can find that in the summer. I’ll be watching a lot more Sen’s games the next little while. Fly high sweet prince, you deserve better than you got here.

9. Bag of Pucks says:

Thanks LT, I think your post has finally enabled me to understand my ambivalence towards Hemmer.

I was living overseas during the team’s 06 Cup run, and the net being what it was then, you couldn’t follow each game in its entirety via hd live streams. The best you could hope for was a brief video highlights package on nhl.com and the msm post game reportage. Thus, I saw some of the big goals from Hemsky but not all the little things you appreciate about a player when the games are do or die and the battles won so memorable and as you say, ‘frozen in time.’

So for me, Alex was not the ‘saw him good’ player from that illustrious run, but rather, he was the extremely talented but enigmatic player who always left me wanting a little more. Whether it was the team chasing the likes of Cole or Comrie to find someone with the right chemistry to play with him (in the end it was always Horcoff and Smyth who fit best), the well documented injury history, or the clarion call of ‘shoot the puck’ that seemed to accompany him on every shift when he first came in the league – Hemsky was that player who could both lift you from your seat with a breathtaking rush AND make you gnash your teeth with his inability to mesh his wonderful individual skills within the greater synergy of a team effort.

In many ways, Hemsky always reminds me of Kent Nilsson. As much as you appreciate the skill, you wonder why he hasn’t achieved more with it?

That said, I’m first and foremost an Oiler fan, and Ales was always a loyal and willing soldier for this team. Hockey is an entertainment industry and he was often worth the price of admission all by himself. He will be missed.

10. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Top 6 time in eastern TV markets should pump up his valuation for free agency. Try not to smirk too much when the talking heads berate us for not realizing how much this guy contributes in whatever role his team needs.

11. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw LT, Hemsky traded and ScarJo pregnant. Double gut punch for you today. My condolences. Stay strong!

12. Ducey says:

Its strange that the crowd that hates “seen him good”, saw him good.

Its also strange that Hemsky just finished building a house in Edmonton for over $1.5 million. He is just about to move in. He had to know that he was going to get traded – likely in the summer. So why would he do so? Maybe he is just into real estate development but maybe he likes the place. I wouldn’t be so sure he won’t be back – if the Oilers want him.

13. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Ducey,

Or maybe he’s just into racking up brownie points with family.

14. rich says:

Sad day for me. Started rooting for the Oilers in 1996 (after having my heart ripped out by that schmuck Milbury and the NYI’s owners). As bummed as I was when Weight and Guerin went away (how could the small budget Oilers keep them?), it was equaled by my excitement when Hemsky came along.

His boxcars were never as big, but when he touched the puck, it made us stop and take notice. Even when we screamed “shoooooot”.

He deserves a far better final fate than what saw him head out of town. While I’d like him to come back one day, I won’t hold my breath as he deserves the opportunity to be on a team that will be in the playoffs, and the Oilers are no where near that point.

Thank you for being one of the few things that has compelled me to tune in night after night these last nearly 8 years to watch this gong show that the OIlers have been Ales.

15. spoiler says:

Sail on Silver Prince,

Sail on by

Your time has come to shine

All your dreams are on their way

16. G Money says:

I’m less sad for his departure – we have sooooooo many things to be sad about with this team – and more happy for Hemsky.

Ottawa isn’t really a contender, which is too bad, but it’s hard to believe it could be the same class of sh*t show as the Oilers have become.

Maybe when we’re a contender … ahem … we’ll sign him for a day so he can retire an Oiler and maybe a Cup Champion if hasn’t done it elsewhere by then.

I hope НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ is right, I hope Hemsky lights it up on the best team he’s played on since 2006, and the dumbass Eastern media start lauding Ottawa for getting such a good player so cheap.

17. Bag of Pucks says:

I think the Sens are a well managed club. Unfortunately they have to be, cos Melnyk is a bean counter.

18. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

G Money,

If he clicks with Spezza it could be good news for both of them and the Sens.

19. G Money says:

Re: the relatively soft trade market … anyone else think this could be market adaptation?

When “everyone knows” that GMs will be desperate to overpay for players, more GMs delay trading until close to the deadline and so there are more sellers.

When “everyone knows” that GMs will be desperate to overpay for players, some GMs decide not to participate in the whole farce, and so there fewer buyers.

More sellers + fewer buyers = lower prices.

If that’s the case, the lower prices we saw this time round will stay in place until “everyone knows” that the trade deadline is a bad time for sellers and a great time for buyers.

20. regwald says:

G Money,

That may be true, but how much of this “soft market” is also due to the fact that so many teams are tight against the cap and they don’t have the flexibility this year to add as much salary and they normally would.

I think that had a bit of an impact on the trade deadline deals.

21. Andy P says:

Ducey:
    Its strange that the crowd that hates “seen him good”, saw him good.

Its also strange that Hemsky just finished building a house in Edmonton for over $1.5 million.He is just about to move in.He had to know that he was going to get traded – likely in the summer.So why would he do so?Maybe he is just into real estate development but maybe he likes the place.I wouldn’t be so sure he won’t be back – if the Oilers want him.

That would make sense if he planned coming back. If MacT had told him he would take him back at some number if he didn’t get a better offer, or did not prefer to play elsewhere. I’ve seen $3.5M a lot on this blog, so I picked that number @ 3 years.

Just connecting the dots……

22. commonfan14 says:

He had great moments in 2006, but for me the first thing I’ll remember with Hemmer is that one game against Columbus a few years ago when he was really clicking with Gagner and Penner and brought them back from a big deficit. He had 4 points I think, looking dominant in picking them up.

The next day a buddy of mine living out of town sent an email voicing what I’d been thinking and hoping for, “Is Hemmer becoming an everyday superstar?” I really believed it was possible right then, and for me that’ll always be the high point.

Goodbye Ales.

Huge heart. – Giving body and soul to awful teams

Massive Grit – never shied away from the puck in tough spots

Wins Battles – Came out with the puck more than he didn’t

Complete Player – One of the best back pressure guys on the team

Its sad that it came to this because he’s still a very good player and Edmonton does not have too many very good players.

Everything you want in a hockey player and pilloried for years by journalists demanding players who have heart, are gritty and win battles.

I’l never understand that.

commonfan14:
    He had great moments in 2006, but for me the first thing I’ll remember with Hemmer is that one game against Columbus a few years ago when he was really clicking with Gagner and Penner and brought them back from a big deficit.He had 4 points I think, looking dominant in picking them up.

The next day a buddy of mine living out of town sent an email voicing what I’d been thinking and hoping for, “Is Hemmer becoming an everyday superstar?”I really believed it was possible right then, and for me that’ll always be the high point.

I was at that game.

Loudest moment in Rexall since 2006.

Roof came off the joint after Penner’s last goal.

25. nycoil says:

I was living in Tokyo in that magic spring of 2006. It was the first time I could get really excited for the team since the plucky Weight/Cujo/Smyth/Guerin/Grier/Marchant etc. teams vs Dallas in the ’90s, when I was living in Vancouver. I watched the team online in the weird hours of the night, and just loved that epic comeback win vs. Detroit in Game 6 that set it all afire.

I flew to Edmonton for Game 3 vs Carolina. Just for the weekend. From Tokyo. $800 a pop x 4 tickets + the flights, sitting next to Hugh Campbell, as it turned out. Ales and the Rake were my heroes.

I defended him against all his detractors, and despised the media for its unfair portrayal of him. I came to dread the potential of this “sail on” post each of the last four springs. Finally, that day is here.

Now, in New York, watching the game last night at work, to me it felt like the electricity was back in the old Coliseum/Skyreach/Rexall, seemingly everyone aware what was happening. The magician showed us one last time what he could do when playing with skill (why did we not see Hall-Hemsky more often this year?). I shed a tear on the first goal, smiled on the second. It was obvious it was the last time. I almost hoped for a Senator goal to make it 3-2 late (Karlsson obliged) so that it would lead to an empty net and give the Prince a chance to walk off on a dance floor littered with hats.

Fittingly, he did not score one more, and the most perfect stat that could sum up Ales’ Oiler career was presented to me: Edmonton 10-0-0 all time when Hemsky scores 2. Why in the hell has that only happened ten times ever. It should have been multiples of that.

In the spring of 2008, I quit my job and went traveling solo around the world for a few months. One of my stops was the Czech Republic. I was out at a bar in Prague, drinking some of the best beer in the world (and it’s cheaper than water there, it really is). I decided to strike up a conversation with some locals, the ice breaker was hockey, and all we had in common. I told them Hemsky was my favourite player, and the ice melted away; they were proud I knew one of their most favourite sons.

In time, I will come to love the Nuge and Hall and Yak the same way, but not yet. A little piece of my Oiler fandom died today with the trading of #83. A piece that will not come back. But every so often I’ll pull my Hemsky shirt out of my drawer once in a while, and put it on with a fond smile.

Sail on indeed, Ales, thanks for all the memories. And thank you, LT, for such an eloquent post with which to send him off.

26. G Money says:

regwald,

Could be. Teams with less cap space mean fewer potential buyers which could depress prices.

On the other hand, if teams are tight against the cap, it may restrict the players that are traded (i.e. expensive players won’t move) but shouldn’t really affect the price paid. If I’m a team that is tight against the cap, it might mean I can’t acquire a Vanek, but whatever player I do go after, the cap doesn’t in any way affect whether I can pay a third round pick vs a fourth round pick.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see if it’s the start of a trend or just a one-year cap-driven blip.

Some thoughts on the deadline

28. Bad Seed says:

nycoil,

Bravo

29. prairieschooner says:

Was over on the Sens HF board to see what they were saying and I have to say I am a little pissed off at how many of them are negative about the deal Ungrateful wretches!

30. justDOit says:

Some thoughts on the deadline

The St. Louis deal has me confused as well. I thought that the GM with the disgruntled star, who demands a trade to only one team, was the one to take it hard. Yzerman did well on that trade.

31. PerryK says:

Ducey:

From your mouth to God’s ears. Let it be so!

32. justDOit says:

OilersNow
    ‏@OilersNow
    REPORT: The Oilers get a 3rd in 2014 and 5th in 2015 for Ales Hemsky. The Oilers are also eating 1/2 of his remaining salary.

Dang…

33. Pouzar says:

Sidebar: Klefbom not in lineup tonite

34. unca miltie says:

For far too many years, Ales made the Oilers worth watching..ie. 2006 to last night. The comparision to Kent Nillson has some merit but IMO Hemmer worked much harder than the majic man. Ales I will miss you, glad you are moved to a team I can cheer for. \hope you score 4 tonight..

35. gogliano says:

Sail on Nick Schultz, Sail on

36. icecastles says:

justDOit: The Oilers are also eating 1/2 of his remaining salary.

His contract only runs to the end of this season, and the Oilers won’t be aquiring any more players before season’s end. So eating the salary really means nothing other than Katz being out some cash.

37. justDOit says:

icecastles,

My disappointment from that tweet stems from the fact that the 3rd rounder isn’t in 2015, as was initially reported. I couldn’t care less about the $625k that Katz is eating.

38. cabbiesmacker says:

Congratulations on escaping the 6 Ring circus that is the Oilers shitshow Ales.

Crap return. This teams management never fails to unimpress.

39. cabbiesmacker says:

gogliano:
    Sail on Nick Schultz, Sail on

That’ boat will be a long time getting to it’s destination I bet. Big hole in the mainsail and the rudder stuck in full starboard.

40. icecastles says:

cabbiesmacker: Crap return. This teams management never fails to unimpress.

I give up.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh Ales.

As I said this morning, last night was a kind of dream of what could have been. Magical. I miss you already.

Hard not to get a touch teary watching him leave the rink today.

Now, get those Sens over the hump!

gogliano:
    Sail on Nick Schultz, Sail on

Yeah.

43. neojanus says:

I didn’t think it was a crap return. I figured Hemsky (due to past injuries and poor goal scoring production) would get the Oilers a third and the 5th is for eating 1 million bucks.

Is Hemsky worth more than a 3rd? Hell, yes… but when you come from a team that has been in the garbage bin for close to a decade, you aren’t getting full value.

Good luck to him in Ottawa and I hope MacT has a plan heading into the summer, because another year of this and I’m turning off the sport and switching to cricket.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I can’t make any sense out of the actual value involved in the broad strokes this year. Crazy.

Weird wrinkle is that Burke did pretty well in his actual moves… but couldn’t manage to actually move his big trade chip…

the whole day was weird.

One thing is solidified, if ever there was a question about it: Tambo’s failure last year to ditch UFAs looks even dumber now. Last year the market way overpaid on rentals and he slept. jackhole.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So far no AHL transactions. guess they’ll be announced tomorrow:

Fyten (Lander, Pitlick) 1-1

Rom: They recalled Larsen, Klefbom is hurt.

47. Pouzar says:

As GM MacTavish hinted at earlier this afternoon, the #Oilers have recalled defenceman Philip Larsen from the @OKCBarons.

48. Pouzar says:

WTF? Klefbom hurt? UGH…so typical…and this was his time for a looksee too.

49. admiralmark says:

Larsen instead of Fedun?! Guess we are trying to get OKC in the playoffs and Oilers the highest draft pick possible? Excellent tanking 101.

50. John Chambers says:

Pouzar,

Why can’t Fedun get a call-up?

51. Younger Oil says:

justDOit:
    OilersNow
    ‏@OilersNow

Dang…

Every source I’m seeing still says the 3rd round pick is for 2015. Oilers website/twitter feed/facebook page as well as TSN all reporting it that way.

52. Pouzar says:

John Chambers: Pouzar, Why can’t Fedun get a call-up?Another tragedy of the season is the failure to give Lander, Horak, and Fedun some at-bats.

Agreed mate.

53. justDOit says:

Younger Oil,

Yeah – I hope they figure it out before June!

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Rom: They recalled Larsen, Klefbom is hurt.

heard that in MacT’s presser. but he sounded unsure. thanks for the confirm.

———
    Noticed he mentioned Klefbom and Pitlick.

Lander, Arco and Fedun weep.

55. The Great One says:

So, I’ve got this matryoshka doll that I picked up in Prague.

It’s a Hemsky doll with a little Horcoff, a little Stoll and a little Gagner inside.

Thinking of putting it up on eBay and wondering what you folks think it might be worth?

Or should I keep it until Gagner gets the gas pipe?

56. Glock9 says:

I’m sure he will be playing on the top line (where he belongs) and will Shine !!! Like last night.

Good luck and Thanx Ales !!

57. Younger Oil says:

So, assuming the NJD lose their first round pick, we currently have picks 2, 90, 115, 127, 135, 151, and 181.

Is it too early for mock drafts?

58. sben says:

Hey guys I’m a sens fan and I come from the far away land of senschirp. I was wondering what your guys thoughts on hemsky are and what you think about him and what he could do there. Also is Hemky as injury prone as people think he is or are his injuries warranted? I think we got quite a gem for what we gave and I hope we can do well with him. Other than the sens you guys are my favorite team and I really think you guys will do well under MacT. Thanks.

59. justDOit says:

sben,

Hemmer’s two surgically repaired shoulders are purported to be stronger now than they have ever been. Part of his injury problems have been a result of his fearless play and carrying the puck a lot. I hope the Sens put him to good use, and that he scores a tonne of goals for you guys, Then I hope he re-signs in Edmonton.

60. gr8one says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴:
    G Money,

If he clicks with Spezza it could be good news for both of them and the Sens.

61. The Great One says:

gr8one: Spezza and Hemmer are both pass first so I’m not sure I see a connection there, they both kind of need a sniper to dish to, but if Ryan is his other winger we could see some magic!

Michalek – Spezza – Hemsky

MacArthur – Turris – Condra

Hoffman – Zibanejad – Ryan

Greening – Smith – Neil

Looks like Ottawa is going for 3 scoring lines.

62. delooper says:

Anyone speak Czech? We never figured out what Hemsky means, as a Czech name. Still bothers me.

I was living in Bonn, Germany during the 2006 run. That’s when I really became addicted to this blog and “Covered in Oil”, what an awesome blog. We’d all appreciate it if someone tried a Chris! style retro Oilers story with some flash 70′s prog rock album cover.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Here’s something that I don’t think anyone has addressed yet.

What’s preferable: today’s deal, or whatever deal was rumored in the Summer revolving around Hemsky and Smith?

64. Bushed says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy:
    Goodbye Ales.

Huge heart. – Giving body and soul to awful teams

Massive Grit – never shied away from the puck in tough spots

Wins Battles – Came out with the puck more than he didn’t

Complete Player – One of the best back pressure guys on the team

I’l never understand that.

^This +1

Exactly. Hemmer was the main reason I kept watching for (too) many years.

Now that he’s gone, my connection to this team just declined dramatically.

I can’t bring myself to buy a jersey that looks like a giant condom ad, so I will just have to keep wearing one of the three Oilers Hemsky jerseys I own while I cheer him on.

Best of everything, Ales. I will miss you.

65. jfry says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

i tried to bring up this conversation last night in the game thread. i’d prefer smith to the picks, but neither option really fills the bucket that is hemsky.

Fyten (Lander, Pitlick) 1-1

Rom: They recalled Larsen, Klefbom is hurt.

Why not Fedun?

They know what Larsen is and Fedun is UFA in the summer.

67. Hammers says:

Supposed to play on the first line tonight with the best experienced center he has had since Weight . Hope he scores and the Sens win (Calgary ) and proves to these Eastern writers & so called experts just how good he is . About 20 games . Hope he gets 15 points and then a good contract .

The Great One:
    So, I’ve got this matryoshka dollthat I picked up in Prague.

Thinking of putting it up on eBay and wonderingwhat you folks think it might be worth?

Or should I keep it until Gagner gets the gas pipe?

Pics?

I’d buy that from you for the right price.

Tyler with a great pictorial of 83 in the spring of 06

70. FastOil says:

Ales should be remembered as one of the great. Oilers. As fans we should be.allowed to feel value. Was not found here. No fault of MacT but a failing of the org.

Losing players. Like this for peanuts keeps. teams weak. Typos etc.

Terry Jones takes one last shot at Hemsky on his way out the door:

He was last-on-the-ice, first-off-the-ice, won’t-shoot-the-puck, had-the-talent-to-have-been-great-but-wasn’t-engaged-enough-to-become one hockey player. As one former coach put it, “Hemmer is just happy to be here.”

Prick.

72. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: Does Larsen count as one of the four call ups allowed or would he be an injury call up for Belov?

Someone mentioned earlier that the 4 allowed callups are post-deadline. I think Larsen’s callup was pre-.

73. admiralmark says:

sben says:
    March 5, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Well if i was to venture a guess I would say between now and summer most of Sens fans will love him. If he resigns beyond this year then you can look forward to a divided fanbase. You will love him at times and tear your hair out at other times. He will electrify and then frustrate. He possess’s all the skill necessary to thrive on the 1st or 2nd line. Sometimes he holds the puck too long or coughs it up at inopportune times. And other times he will dipsy doodle around 3 players and bury the puck in the net. Since Hemsky is on the end of a contract and has been givin new life with this trade I don’t think anybody around here would be surprised if he thrived for at least the remainder of this season? And trust me him being traded to Sens has created some secondary Sens fans around here.

74. AZOIL says:

I was doing an intern in DC when the Oilers made that run in 06 and most of the sales team I was managing were Canadians. About a third of them went to game 7 in Raleigh, NC since it was only a short drive from DC. My manager suggested I better not go or the whole team would want to go and it would cost us too many damn sales and I needed to set the precedent! I figured I would be a good example to the team and that surely the Oilers would be in the playoffs again soon! Boy was I wrong and man do I wish I would have gone! Tickets weren’t that bad of a price, and it was quite the game, even though we lost! What a run it was, memory lane is fun, thanks Hemsky!

Wish the coyotes ponied up some more today and he was a coyote! Rumor had it they were after him pretty hard too!!!

75. delooper says:

Even as a kid I never really understood why people read Terry Jones.

Can we link Youtube videos in our replies?

Hmm, I guess not.

Woodguy: Why not Fedun?

They know what Larsen is and Fedun is UFA in the summer.

the callups are a tell and so are the left behinds. Fedun is not part of the future, I fear.

77. jfry says:

seems like a weird decision. unless they know they’re bringing in a bunch of new d next year. otherwise, he’s better than some guys we’re playing down the stretch.

78. jake70 says:

Fun player to watch some nights. Frustrating as hell others.

Just didn’t score enough goals for my liking. Had he shot more……

What were Staple’s words, “a brilliant soloist”?

Was made more or less whole by the organization with the 10M over 2 years IMO.

In a perfect world for me, he comes back whenever as the deadline pickup player and they go and win Stanley, and whoever is wearing the C hands him the cup a la Sakic to Bourque.

79. jfry says:

barons PP clipping along at 34% in the last 55 attempts. sigh. why is nelson so good and eakins so fit?

80. BONVIE says:

I’m trying to buy tickets to take my two boys to the LA game on Sunday through ticketmaster and it says there is none available. Is this possible ? I haven’t bought tickets in about 15 years, but I could always get tickets for any game back then with exceptions being Mtl and Toronto even when they were in the playoffs. Now they are an absolute dreadful team to watch even on Television, I thought I would have lots of tickets to pick from.

Anybody have any ideas for me. Is ticketmaster and their automated system screwing up, or do these games actually sell out almost a week ahead?

81. The Great One says:

Woodguy: Pics?

I’d buy that from you for the right price.

I’ll DM you on Twitter tomorrow and send some pics.

82. Gret99zky says:

Brooks was here.

So was Ales.

The Great One: I’ll DM you on Twitter tomorrow and send some pics.

Thanks

84. jfry says:

The Great One: I’ll DM you on Twitter tomorrow and send some pics.

85. Oilanderp says:

TIED!

86. Bling says:

MacT would rave about how he was committed to doing the right things in his own zone when 83 was just 19 years old. There was one play, in his first season, where he just got absolutely clobbered along the side boards trying to get a puck out (he still managed to do it). It was like watching a deer eat windshield. Mac loved it! So much so that he referenced it in his post-game availability.

Horc was establishing himself around the same time — you know, he started as a 4th liner.

Both of those guys had to earn their stripes the hard way.

And…I suppose what makes it difficult, saying goodbye to Hemsky, to Horcoff, and to the other likeable greats that came before them, is that I don’t know if I’ll ever have the same connection with the likes of Gagner/Hall/Ebs/Schultz/RNH et al.

Does anyone else feel that way?

The late 90s Oilers with Weight and Guerin and Smyth, you felt it. In the early 2000s, with Horc and Hemsky and Smyth, you felt it.

And now, going past how brutal this team is, how silly some of the management decisions have been over the years — what I’m getting at is how you feel about the team, on a personal level, about the players — it seems like a lot of that is lost.

What makes today sad is that we’re losing that last link to the good old days — when you cheered like hell for the quiet, skinny czech kid with the baby face and butter-soft hands, the wiley Russian from Trail, BC who blocked shots with his face, or the mop haired grease-monkey crease-crasher from Banff, the piss-cutter Pisani, or the Dougie Weight saucers from the half boards to a ready-to-rip-it Billy G, and the guy they called Rosie who would have the trainers put his shoulder back in between intermissions for an entire season — and damn it if there weren’t times (lots of times) where they rewarded you for it, where they surprised you and everyone else in the hockey world and made you (and them) stand up and cheer even louder .

What makes today sad is that Hemsky is the last Oiler that many of us had a real connection with that went beyond their Corsi or their cap hit or what they could bring back in a trade. He was magic, he was tough, he was a warrior who did every possible thing the organization ever asked of him.

Sail on, Ales Hemsky.

87. delooper says:

Bling:
    Does anyone else feel that way?

This goaltending kid from Spruce Grove… Scrivens. He’s got that potential.

88. justDOit says:

cabbiesmacker:

… Crap return. This teams management never fails to unimpress.

Sale on Ales! lol!

89. steveb12344 says:

Bling:
    I

Does anyone else feel that way?

The problem is the current group has not played a playoff game.

I suspect this is nothing a long run in the playoffs won’t cure.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OKC to OT.

Another point. This is the little team that could!

————
    That Jones article makes me more sad than angry. What a twisted old bitter man.

“Addition by subtraction” my ass.

These jackholes built themselves a tidy house of narratives. When Hemsky plays well elsewhere: enigmatic!

91. The Great One says:

Brian Burke looks like Sonic the Hedgehog

92. Professor Q says:

delooper:
    Even as a kid I never really understood why people read Terry Jones.

Can we link Youtube videos in our replies?

Hmm, I guess not.

I, for one, simply love Monty Python.

93. Professor Q says:

On the return for Hemsky: wanted more, kind of dissapointed especially with MacT’s previous decent moves and the fact that he stated the return was actually a higher value due to his performance last night…I can’t even imagine how I’d feel if it were lower.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

we’re about to have a shootout here if anyone wants to tune in for the excitement.

jfry: oh, this is so cute! you too getting along and flirtin’ and stuff! the oilogosphere — never a predictable moment!

I’ve always got along with DeeEssEff

Would argue his more insane points with him, but always got along.

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky just had his first shift. looks good.

97. justDOit says:

delooper: This goaltending kid from Spruce Grove… Scrivens.He’s got that potential.

98. AZOIL says:

BONVIE:

99. Oilanderp says:

I hope Gernat is in the shootout

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man, this Sens team looks really bad sometimes. brutal give away by the 4th line end up in back of the net.

101. book¡je says:

D.s.F. And Woodguy

Here is your doll

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Barons lose in the shootout.

apparently they are 1-7 in shootouts. yikes!

anyone know why they do a 5 shot shootout in the AHL?

103. Oilanderp says:

I’ve never quite seen a goalie come 20′ out of the net to pokecheck in a shootout!

104. delooper says:

justDOit: And the kid from the TaTARstan region of Russia, known for it’s petrochemical industry, could hold some promise of winning fan’s hearts in Edmonton. Just a hunch.

Yeah, when he starts to bloom he’ll be Edmonton’s darling. All the women will be converting to Islam in hope. I wonder if his family does arranged marriages? It happens sometimes in Tatarstan but its also not uniform.

105. The Great One says:

book¡je:
    D.s.F. And Woodguy

Here is your doll

Who the hell was Fallun?

106. delooper says:

Fallun is a city in Iraq?

107. The Great One says:

Phil Kessel is one hell of a hockey player.

Leafs win.

108. delooper says:

Or Pat Falloon?

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky looks fine. wearing 83.

110. delooper says:

Right now the rain is winning here. Cherry blossoms coming out. In another week or two we’ll have leaves.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper:
    Right now the rain is winning here.Cherry blossoms coming out.In another week or two we’ll have leaves.

fuck you.

112. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: fuck you.

Mowed my lawn today.

Golfing tomorrow.

113. delooper says:

Romulus Apotheosis: fuck you.

I’d love to be in Edmonton. I miss all the cheery people!

114. justDOit says:

delooper,

If they do arrange for Nail, they’ll probably be looking for a lovely Tatar girl – and I don’t think you can convert to that!

115. delooper says:

Better days are coming by and by
    Don’t you get down hearted, don’t you cry
    Troubles will be over, all our joys come over
    Better days are coming by and by

Don’t you know better days are coming by and by
    Don’t you get down hearted, don’t you cry
    Sorrows will be over, all our joys come over
    Better days are coming by and by

It can’t be this way always
    A train must come, a train must come
    There must be some brighter days
    We’ll have fun, we’ll have fun, yeah

Better days are coming by and by
    Don’t you get down hearted, don’t you cry
    Troubles will be over, all our joys come over
    Better days are coming by and by

Things get rough, your friends get few
    Don’t you cry, don’t you cry
    Change your flock, we’ll come for you
    We’ll get high, we’ll get high, yeah

Better days are coming by and by
    Don’t you get down hearted, hearted, don’t you cry
    Troubles will be over, all our joys come over
    Better days are coming by and by

Don’t you know better days are coming by and by
    So don’t you get down hearted, don’t you cry
    Troubles will be over

116. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Poetic send off for a poetic player. It helps to ease the pain… Wish he could have landed in a Pens jersey, but at least he has been freed from this train wreck.

117. delooper says:

justDOit:

I went to grad school with a guy from Xinjiang. When we were both postdocs I found out his family set him up with a prima ballerina (also Uyghur)! My parents never did anything like that for me. :(

118. delooper says:

justDOit,

119. gogliano says:

sben:

That is, I would shiv you if you asked me this in person.

120. delooper says:

gogliano: My own thoughts are that this feels like the dude your lady is sleeping with now asking how you thought about her before she left you for greener pastures.

I just thought “what a bum, he didn’t even bother to read the thread!”

121. book¡je says:

The Great One: McSorley, Ninnima, Buchberger, Shatelnekov and Fallun don’t have quite the same cache as Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll and Gagner.

Who the hell was Fallun?

Don’t you remember, he played with the Houston Oilers with the rest of them.

122. delooper says:

That’s a precious product you found there, Bookie.

123. RexLibris says:

delooper:

But still no Cup.

Shame about that.

124. delooper says:

RexLibris: But still no Cup.

Shame about that.

We don’t even have a hockey team! We could probably have a very competitive senior citizen shuffleboard league.

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: Mowed my lawn today.

Golfing tomorrow.

delooper: I’d love to be in Edmonton.I miss all the cheery people!

I’m in Toronto.

Enjoy the blossoms Van. Is. folks. May you never see the sun again.

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper: We don’t even have a hockey team!

what are you talking about the Royals are doing really good.

127. The Great One says:

book¡je: Don’t you remember, he played with the Houston Oilers with the rest of them.

Oh, THAT Fallun.

128. book¡je says:

Sad story

In 2009 D.S.F. Listed that Hemsky nesting doll as his favorite memorabilia

129. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I’m in Toronto.

Enjoy the blossoms Van. Is. folks. May you never see the sun again.

At least you have a hockey team that’s going to make the playoffs. :)

130. delooper says:

Romulus Apotheosis: what are you talking about the Royals are doing really good.

I’m surprised the blossoms are out so soon. Is supposed to be a colder than average winter here. The blossoms didn’t listen.

I haven’t been to a Royals game yet. But I did go to the Canada-Russia Juniors game, when Yakupov was in town. That was a fun night. I should take my girlfriend out to a Royals game. Right now I’m teaching her to skate.

131. G Money says:

Bling: I was in Grade 9 when Hemsky was drafted, and as LT alluded to he was special from the beginning.

Damn, way to make me feel old. I was in Grade 8 when Gretzky was acquired from Indianapolis.

Difficulty level: Peter Pocklington’s step daughter was in my class.

132. The Great One says:

book¡je:
    Sad story

In 2009 D.S.F. Listed that Hemsky nesting doll as his favorite memorabilia

Still have that nutcracker too.

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

MOR with a goal tonight.

that is all.

134. delooper says:

G Money: Damn, way to make me feel old.I was in Grade 8 when Gretzky was acquired from Indianapolis.

Difficulty level: Peter Pocklington’s step daughter was in my class.

My family moved to Edmonton in 1979 from Australia. My family was originally from the Edmonton area, but had been away for the 14 years preceeding 1979.

135. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper: I’m surprised the blossoms are out so soon.Is supposed to be a colder than average winter here.The blossoms didn’t listen.

I haven’t been to a Royals game yet.But I did go to the Canada-Russia Juniors game, when Yakupov was in town.That was a fun night. I should take my girlfriend out to a Royals game.Right now I’m teaching her to skate.

Two winters ago I saw them. good show. They are much, much better this year. well worth the trip.

136. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: At least you have a hockey team that’s going to make the playoffs.

137. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I can’t wait for them to fall out of the first round again. it’s going to be awesome.

One period away from beating the Bruins last season.

Make the playoffs…anything can happen.

See Edmonton/Carolina 2006 for reference.

138. Gerta Rauss says:

What a shame-the Hemsky transaction leaves me sad more than anything.

MacT presser audio

-Nultz
    -Potter
    -Hemsky

Hemsky audio

-didn’t sound like they talked contract at all

139. book¡je says:

The Great One: Still have that nutcracker too.

If you want to swap your Hemsky nutcracker, I have a friend in Ottawa who will give you a 1 in 15 Chance at a nutcracker in 4 or 5 years for it. Straight up!

140. The Great One says:

book¡je: If you want to swap your Hemsky nutcracker, I have a friend in Ottawa who will give you a 1 in 15 Chance at a nutcracker in 4 or 5 years for it.Straight up!

Throw in a 5th round pick and you’ve got a deal.

141. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: One period away from beating the Bruins last season.

so close! hahaha

142. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: so close! hahaha

5-4 in OT.

Close.

143. Old School G says:

Ales, come back…

144. delooper says:

I need you baby! I can’t live without your solo efforts!

145. delooper says:

We could do a Waterboys song about all those good players that got away.

146. tcho says:

The Edmonton Oilers – turning actual NHL players into picks, maybes, tweeners, and also-rans since 2006.

147. The Great One says:

delooper:
    We could do a Waterboys song about all those good players that got away.

Or make a playoff team.

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: 5-4 in OT.

Close.

That’s why it burns. hahaha

149. VanOil says:

Kind of feels like the season is over. Other than watching Yak score the odd goal between character building benchings what else is there for an Oilers fan until the summer. The verbal (or complete lack) of the day suggests a Fedun Sail On is in the works.

My summer bids for next year so that the season last beyond December 1st:

Gagner + Germat for Brock Nelson and Griffen Reinhart ~ add some filler picks if needed

2015 1st and Fedun for Kulikov

Short Term Mid Priced UFA Defenseman

Draft Sam Reinhart

Move Steve Smith to a less damaging position.

None of which will happen ~ instead Oilers will over pay for a a Vet forward half as talented as the one we lost today.

150. spoiler says:

What a shot by Koe.

151. Rondo says:

Imagine if Hemsky didn’t have a great final game with the Oilers what would be his return

MacT went on about the demand increase after that game.

152. gvblackhawk says:

book¡je:
    Sad story

In 2009 D.S.F. Listed that Hemsky nesting doll as his favorite memorabilia

How did you stumble across that?

Well I finally know what DSF stands for. I expected something more obscure from our resident dashing happy cat.

153. Bling says:

Woodguy:
    Terry Jones takes one last shot at Hemsky on his way out the door:

Prick.

Well, if that’s Hemsky, I suppose Jones is a last-to-the-treadmill, first-to-the-donuts, good-old-canadian-tough-boy-fellating, had-the-the-talent-to-have-been-only-slightly-worse-than-medicore-but–ultimately-never-rose-higher-than-dumber-than-a-mule sports writer.

154. delooper says:

If you need to cheer up, listen to the Jimmy Fallon and Idina Menzel version of the Frozen song on Youtube.

155. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

The Great One: Michalek – Spezza – Hemsky

MacArthur – Turris – Condra

Hoffman – Zibanejad – Ryan

Greening – Smith – Neil

Looks like Ottawa is going for 3 scoring lines.

Wa

Can’t wait til we overpay for Dustin Brown grit and DSF buries us with Hemsky scoring stats. Its safe for DSF to tout hemsky once the bet closes.

156. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Best of the day. Burke’s returns of the 2 he moved. Worst of the day. The ufa he didn’t move. Hope he walks for zero.

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Houck with 2 assists tonight so far. about 12 mins left in the 3rd.

158. Gordies Elbow says:

The Great One,

Did you invite the Canucks golfing?

159. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Houck with 2 assists tonight so far. about 12 mins left in the 3rd.

The Erie Otters just finished off the Plymouth Whalers 11-2.

Toronto draft choice Connor Brown with 2G 1A (now 43G 75A 118P)

Vancouver prospect Dane Fox with a Gordie Howe hatrick (now 59G 39A 98P)

Connor McDavid with 1G 3A (now 22G 64A 86P)

160. VanOil says:

Looks like poor Hemsky is not making the playoffs this year either. At least the Flames are not likely to pick ahead of the Oilers. Florida’s Western road trip to end the month could put the Oilers lock on 2nd worst in jeopardy.

161. The Great One says:

In other news from the OHL, 2014 draft eligible Michael Dal Colle with 2G 1A (now 38G 54A 92P)

162. Hammers says:

Woodguy:
    Terry Jones takes one last shot at Hemsky on his way out the door:

Prick.

Agree but its fat prick .

163. The Great One says:

VanOil:

Have you seen the Oilers schedule for the last 10 games?

Murderer’s Row.

164. Gordies Elbow says:

The Great One,

Wow. That’s great.

That said, how did Gillis do on the Schneider/Luongo deals?

Is Lack the true starter? Or Markstom?

They truly dealt from a position of strength. Want to talk about how great the players they got back are? Is Gillis meeting your expectations?

165. Gordies Elbow says:

Wow, waited 21 minutes for a response, and got nothing. Given the number of postings in a few minutes of each other, seems odd.

166. tcho says:

You guys sure are fattening up that troll.

167. Gordies Elbow says:

tcho,

It’s always nice to see what they say. I value their documented opinions.

168. Gordies Elbow says:

Wow, no postings to this point…

To keep the topics central to the Oilers, I would suggest that we focus on what can be controlled.

Personally, I don’t care about posting about every other draft pick. Mitch Moroz is 17th in goal scoring, which is good.

Is he an NHL player?

Dunno, but anyone who posts should be able to explain why they post. (Moroz rule #1) If you want to post about why the Canucks draft pick is better, fine DSF, please ensure that you include enough information that we can exclude “Shinkarovs” for real NHL players. If there is a question about who is a real NHL player, please state that you (e.g. DSF) believe that this is an NHL player.

Should we be worried about Klefbom

170. RexLibris says:

Should we be worried about Klefbom

Yes. I believe so.

171. spoiler says:

This week MacT has given some definition to his plan as the Oiler GM.

First, the obvious, goaltending. We now know what his plan is for goaltending, and that is to look for a Fuhr-Moog-style competition for the position. I like this idea. Two good bets are better than one when you are forced to make bets. Goaltending is too important to risk getting spurned in the UFA market, and the top guys are always very pricey. If the Oil luck out and end up having two starting goalies, this provides better injury coverage than an expensive top starter and a cheap mediocre backup, and this will reap trade benefits too when the time comes. Sharing the starts should act as a governor on their future salary demands.

Second, it appears a defenseman presently on OKC is likely to be a starter next season. MacT remarked on bringing in deserving defensemen from the farm to give them an opportunity. From my seat, I think that bet has to be largely placed on Klefbom’s shoulders (so to speak), but MacT was smart and didn’t limit it to such. I’m guessing that despite Larsen getting the call today, we will see other prospects besides Klefbom up here before the season is out.

And thirdly, they are sporting a huge bulge in their cap pants–not there–but from having the fattest wallet on the block. That seductive power can be used in two ways. The Oil can use their massive cap space to soak up expensive assets other teams want to trade. Maybe like a Jordan Staal. Shea Weber! Lol. You never know.

Or MacT can use the cap space in the UFA market. Given the Braintrust’s propensity to spread their wallet’s legs for every stud whale that swims past, I know what I am expecting. However, I can’t blame them for that dance…

It is so tough to attract free agents to Edmonton. And yes, being a losing franchise doesn’t help. But it is important to get a couple. Free agents are acquired for nothing and are often traded for actual NHL players down the road. This is a significant advantage for those teams that naturally attract UFAs and crippling to those that don’t. The problem is overpaying, because bad overpays, even for good players can blow up in your face. It needs to be done, but carefully, surgically, with as much potential for good outcome as possible. MacT has given himself every opportunity to do so.

We don’t know much about what his draft strategy is yet, other than to replace as many of the missing picks as possible (with more opportunity to come, leading up to the draft). Is the 1st rounder in play? They will listen to offers, but it is tough to say where their threshold is. They probably don’t know themselves yet, considering that final reports on the draftees are still pending. If Philly said flip us picks for Coburn? Who knows. Christ with the cap space they now have they could easily be targeting a big time expensive defenseman with that 1st rounder.

MacT is looking good right now with his huge bulge, but he can’t afford many mistakes wielding it.

172. Lois Lowe says:

Sale on Pardubice Prince. For the low low price of 3rd rounder and 5th rounder.

173. Ribs says:

This one hurts the most.

So long, Ales. Thanks for the memories. I wish the very best of luck to you.

You’ll have a fan in me wherever you end up.

174. icecastles says:

delooper: There are Tatars in Ukraine. I wonder if many came to Canada during the great Ukrainian migration in the early 20th century.

Yes. Crimea was home to many many many Tatars. Tatars and Cossacks are closely linked and Russia’s relationship with the Cossacks has been… tumultuous.

Anyway, Stalin sent about a kazillion Tatars to the Gulags and repopulated Crimea with ethnic Russians. Many of the Tatars who tried to escape the purge ended up in Canada, though most of the immigration to Canada was actually western Ukrainians, who were most strongly affected by Stalin’s forced starvation of Ukraine.

It’s worth noting that the the culture of Crimea has been more or less erased and rewritten at least a half dozen times throughout history. It’s the most bizarre, fascinating place you’ll ever visit. But don’t even think of going if you don’t speak Russian, or at least Ukrainian. Not the most welcoming folks.

Did see a Hockey Canada sticker on a car in Simferopol though…

175. icecastles says:

Lowetide: Should we be worried about Klefbom

We were deeply concerned about Smid’s future in the early years as he seemed highly injury-prone and unable to stay healthy. I’m still optimistic Klefbom is just getting a career’s worth of injuries out of the way at the beginning and will go on to play 700 uninterrupted games as an Oiler.

176. anonymous says:

Looks like gm’s have figured out ufa’s aren’t worth selling the farm for. Seems like a shame that when Hemsky finally gets healthy he’s sold for peanuts.

Klefbom keeps making the decision on who to trade easier.

177. PhrankLee says:

I kept asking for a #1G. Seems like we could have a 1a, 1b and if the gods smile on Bachman, a 1c. Now we can address D.

178. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Great One: The Erie Otters just finished off the Plymouth Whalers 11-2.

Toronto draft choice Connor Brown with 2G 1A (now 43G 75A 118P)

Vancouver prospect Dane Fox with a Gordie Howe hatrick (now 59G 39A 98P)

Connor McDavid with 1G 3A (now 22G 64A 86P)

Who are four random people or teams not related to Jackson?

what do I win?

179. russ99 says:

The end of an era. Hemmer was my favorite Oiler since he was drafted. It’s sad that we don’t get to see him work his magic in Oilers silks anymore.

But you have to consider much of Hemsky’s time with the Oilers as a missed opportunity, from injuries to the never-ending search later in his Oiler career to find him the perfect linemates (which IMO never was fully realized), to the recent misuse (again, IMO) of Hemsky’s skills in a support or checking role.

I rarely got to see my “playstation” line with Hall and Hemsky playing together. which would seem an great idea since those players’ skills would me a good match, given a veteran 2-way center between them.

To me, the Smyth – Horcoff – Hemsky line in each of those players primes ranks up there with the dynasty greats and was the only reason to watch Oilers hockey for many a season.

Thanks for all the memories, Ales.

With Hemsky traded this ends a line of the Oilers having that kind of wizard with the puck (unless Yak stays, matures and picks up the mantle) since I’ve been a fan of the team in the early 80′s.

I know I’ve been carping on this all season, but this could also be a real end of a long storied era of the Oilers being a dynamic offensive team throughout their history. Even in our darkest hour, we could always excite our fans with our offensive play and put the puck in the net.

That’s not to say we couldn’t be that again, but with a player like Hemsky removed from the roster and players like Eberle and Yak rumored to follow, I’m not especially sure I’m in on the road MacT and Eakins are rolling out in front of us…

We do need to be bigger and play opponents tougher, but copying the Bruins and abandoning our franchise identity along with stifling our offensive potential and dumping really talented players isn’t something I’m too keen on.

That kind of hockey can be winning hockey, sure. But at what high a level, and at what cost?

180. Jon K says:

Sad day for Oilers fans everywhere. Can’t help but feel that the fates conspired against Hemsky. We saw his potential one season, playing on arguably the best top line in the league, well into the spring. We’d never see it again, the promise of his youth wasted on broken teams. Now we sadly watch him leave, a worn down man in his 30s, sent away in a buyers’ market by a GM who knows his true value better than anyone. Sad, sad day.

181. BONVIE says:

AZOIL: Try stubhub. If not they always have ones at the gate before the game if you go earlier in the day to be sure. Call them!

Thanks a bunch this worked for me.

182. Wolfpack says:

If I had one wish, it would be that Hemsky read this blog post and the comments section. I wish he understood that he was appreciated by most knowledgeable Oiler fans.

He could have contributed more if he had been healthier, but he wasn’t to blame for the mess that has been this organization for the last 8 years.

183. The Great One says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Who are four random people or teams not related to Jackson?

what do I win?