SENATORS AT OILERS G63, 13-14

We’re in the trade deadline window of opportunity now, don’t hit the can without your phone. Nail Yakupov will play tonight, if you’re at 7-11 and a distant speaker yells “healthy scratch” assume it’s Hemsky.

And we’re rolling.

SCHULTZ TWITTER OH MY

schultz555Nick Schultz’ brother has been tweeting out some very personal things in regard to Nick and the Oilers over the last few months.  It didn’t really reach its audience until last night, and then all hell broke loose. Here are some examples (courtesy Woodguy in the comments section).

• kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 31
    If Yak gave the puck away like Ebs just did he wouldn’t see the ice unless it was in his vodka. Yet Ebs keeps getting tossed over the boards
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 31
    There is as much accountability in that Oiler dressing room as there is hair on Kevin Lowes head. What a sad state of affairs my friends
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 28
    My concept of the Chinese language is equivalent to Sam Gagne’s concept of the Centre position in his own end. #thestickcheckwizard
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 5
    19 is poor lets not kid ourselves.But when is someone going to question Steve Smiths ability to coach?19 simply doesn’t know his position
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Nov 13
    If you don’t play my way and the right way you won’t play” Dallas Eakins. Well guess what Dallas the kids are eating your lunch just like They did to all the other coaches they’ve had. If you punish Yak and call him out you better not look the other way when 4 and 14 mess up

If I were a betting man, Nick Schultz being dealt today would get a lot of coin. I’m not certain if this will get any play beyond twitter, but it does show a side of the Oilers one suspects they don’t want out there. It’s a field day and a disaster. I kind of feel for Kris Schultz, he clearly cares for his brother and this is going to be a tough 24 hours. Hopefully they can have a beer and share a laugh at the lake this summer.

BELOV’S BLUESbelov5

Anton Belov, who I suspect was in play, won’t be traded at the deadline. Belov has a partially torn oblique and won’t be back for at least a couple of weeks. Phil Larsen has a perfectly good plane ticket to OKC if he clears waivers at 10 this morning. I’ve gone through the entire season being uncertain about Belov as an NHL player. I wish I had Kris Schultz’ clarity on the matter.

TRADE DEADLINE VALUE TABLE

• Ales Hemsky: First-round draft pick (or a second and a fourth).
  • Nick Schultz: A third round pick.
  • Ryan Smyth: A fourth round pick.
  • Corey Potter: A fourth round pick.
  • Anton Belov: A fourth round pick.
  • Ilya Bryzgalov: A fourth round pick.
  • Jesse Joensuu: A fourth round pick.
  • Taylor Fedun: A fourth round pick.
  • Mark Fraser: A fourth round pick.
  • Luke Gazdic: A fifth round pick.
  • Ryan Jones: A sixth round pick.
  • Denis Grebeshkov: A seventh round pick.
  • Ben Eager: A seventh round pick.
  • Oscar Klefbom: As part of a hockey deal.

I have not included Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello, but the attention paid by Montreal to the Barons may be coming into view. We’ve heard that MacT is interested in Andrei Markov, and that might be a large deal involving players and picks. I have included Oscar Klefbom for that purpose.

hemsky22The Calgary Flames, beacons of light and truth, tweeted this out two deadlines ago. An apology quickly followed, but it reflects the attitudes many have had toward 83 over the years. Hemsky remained an Oiler then (I believe) because of Kevin Lowe. I do not believe the call will come this time to sign the Pardubice prince, and do suspect he will be dealt—perhaps before game time. Ales Hemsky is the focus of a fine article by Travis Yost here and is mentioned here in a Rob Rossi article detailing Pittsburgh’s interest. The perfect fit for Hemsky? San Jose, followed by Pittsburgh and then (imo) Ottawa. I always wonder about New Jersey when a player is undervalued.

markov1We discussed Andrei Markov on Sunday, that rumor has legs and became a central item on twitter yesterday. I think we can see the logic—bringing in a veteran guy who can play big, tough minutes—but that was part of the idea with Andrew Ference and it resulted in a long term deal with subpar results (so far). I do understand the thinking behind sending (as an example) Oscar Klefbom and a 2015 pick to Montreal for Markov (and then signing him) because it alters the depth chart in a very nice way.

• Markov-J Schultz
  • Marincin-Petry
  • Ference-Dillon Simpson

I used Simpson, your mileage may vary. The question I have about Markov is this: how much of the numbers are him and how much are his partner? Also how much does he have left?

ANDREI MARKOV EXTRA SKATER PLAYER CARD

markov extras skaterTHE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

markov sledgehammer

We’ll see. I don’t know that they’ll get Markov, but if they do the salary and term are one concern, the ask is the other. That’s a rumor worth fretting over.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

rocknrollaThis is the day to check your twitter every minute. We’ll have all the updates and the breaking news, and it’s a busy show, too. 10 this morning on TSN 1260, here’s the schedule:

• Scott Cullen from TSN. Deadline and is St. Louis the favorite for Stanley? He also has an interesting take on some of the big names available at the deadline.
  • Andrew Berkshire from Habs Eye on the Prize. Montreal at the deadline, and I’ll ask how a team that plays Douglas Murray 20 minutes a night maintains a playoff spot.
  • Corey Graham Oil Kings PBP. Medicine Hat and Calgary put some sting into the weekend, OK in SK to make it better.
  • Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk deadline, Scrivens deal and more.
  • Darrin Bauming from TSN. Jets at the deadline and Buck Pierce calls it a career.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’s going to be a blast, see you on the radio!

447 Responses to "SENATORS AT OILERS G63, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Pouzar says:

OilClog:
    Trading Yakupov before Eberle is Criminal.

based on what?

2. Lucinius says:

I actually hope Hemsky and Yak get traded… so long as they are traded to teams I can tolerate to watch. Honestly, at this point.. I’d like to see the Oilers I like get traded for greener pastures (Hemsky, Yak, Marincin, Petry, Lander, RNH, Smyth). As skilled as they are, I don’t overly care about Hall and Eberle.

3. Professor Q says:

Rebilled:
    The Professor saves the Gilligan’s Oilers!

If only it were that simple…

4. Pouzar says:

Eberle. 55% CF.

5. spoiler says:

Ryan: Obviously, there’s been zero chatter about Yakupov getting traded. I’m not playing the odds making this up. More than likely, I’ll look like a fool, but that doesn’t change that I’ve heard some info that I believe us from a credible source.

Entertainment is another reason why I anyways come here. Thank you for this contribution and respecting your source’s identity. There will be all kinds of talks going on and undoubtedly all names have been talked about at one time or another, and some of these talks will develop. It’s interesting to hear that perhaps something might happen with Yak.

I don’t take the rumours presented here as anything more than that, and I find it interesting to discuss the possibilities and parameters and thought processes.

6. spoiler says:

I saw MacT’s presser before the game today. Did anyone else? I could have swore I heard MacT say something along the lines of it would be clear by the deadline tomorrow what direction he had for the team. Did I mishear him? There were a few distractions here at the time.

spoiler:
    I saw MacT’s presser before the game today.Did anyone else?I could have swore I heard MacT say something along the lines of it would be clear by the deadline tomorrow what direction he had for the team.Did I mishear him? There were a few distractions here at the time.

It sounded very mysterious, I agree.

8. spoiler says:

Lowetide: It sounded very mysterious, I agree.

Mysterious always makes me suspicious. There’s a lot of smoke in the air.

9. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=567500MacT presser from the Oilers website

Thanks, Gerta.

10. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Goddam it Ales I’ll miss you.

I hope MacT trades you to a team where you can … run free in the fields and chase rabbits.

I thought that’s what he was doing when he circled the offensive zone all these years.

11. Hammers says:

Ryan: How much time does a Gillis ave left or is he done?

Remember One thing the Oilers & Canucks have something in common . They have both lost 3 times in the Finals . For those Canuck fans that don’t want to be reminded of teams that actually win .One difference is the Canucks fantasize over LOOSING being there best team ever or games played up to a game 7 . Bye Lou ++++

12. icecastles says:

Ched News states that Allan Hemsky scored 2 goals tonight. Poor fellow deserves better than we’ve given him.

13. Hammers says:

Lowetide: It sounded very mysterious, I agree.

<Yea big trade coming with Buffalo ???????????????????????

14. Ribs says:

Excellent show, Mr. Hemsky. You’ll always be an Oiler to me.

15. jfry says:

“you’ll be able to better evaluate what i was thinking today at the end of tomorrow.”

would just be crazy if hem’r stayed and yak left for a big dman, but he says,

“my instincts say that that’s unlikely for tomorrow.”

16. BONVIE says:

spoiler: Yak was dying inside because he was on for an extra 20 seconds.

LOL exactly.

17. gogliano says:

Gogliano’s Ice Chips:

1. If I had to choose between: (a) Hemsky signed and a market return for Yakupov and (b) Yakupov and a #2 draft pick for Hemsky, I’d pick (a). I don’t think there is a player in the league I’ve enjoyed watching more than Ales.

2. If Ben Scrivens continues to be the best goalie in the league next year by save percentage the Oilers will be competitive for the playoffs. Book it.

3. The Dys getting zero real return for two elite goalies is a good thing for the Dys because it shows they are quick and efficient on the rebuild.

18. spoiler says:

If Yakupov gets moved, Tyler Myers does make a lot of sense. We’re always talking around here about acquiring under-valued players, and Myers appears to fit that bill. He’s big. He’s a defenseman. His age is in the sweet spot. His cap hit doesn’t exceed the Three Amigos. And Buffalo has a Russian centre waiting for Yak. Buffalo isn’t in the playoffs. I would think that there would be more pieces involved as I think straight up favours Buffalo too much. Maybe there’s a draft promise kicker too.
    ;o)

19. BONVIE says:

Ryan,

20. BONVIE says:

spoiler,

Oh please let this happen.

21. BONVIE says:

Also trading Yakapov for Myers would be a bold move, especially since so many delusional fans blame Yakapov’s soft board play, tendencies for blue line turnovers, and general lack of defensive awareness on his coach. There love for Yakapov and his ever-growing minus stat line is now being turning into angst towards the masterfully clutch hockey hero that goes by the name of Jordan Eberle.

If we can obtain that powerful two way centre in here as well, maybe we can make the playoffs and actually make use of the Captain’s special gift of being clutch.

22. spoiler says:

BONVIE: Nothing would make me happier especially if Tyler Myers was the top pair D coming the other way.

Well I’d say right now if I had to bet on one of them playing in an All Star game in the future, my money would be on Yak.

But present abilities and arrows aside, the deal makes a lot of sense.

23. spoiler says:

Or, and this is far more likely… Buffalo management is worried they might finish ahead of us and is hoping a Dman will give us a boost up the standings.

24. mc79hockey says:

I’m happy to be Ryan’s secret keeper if he wants to tell me who told him this and tell you all whether it’s someone I’d deem credible or not.

25. OilClog says:

This is batshit crazy.. Myers is not worth Yakupov! Or Eberle. Nothing less then Buff should be coming back shipping either of those two out.

26. Chris says:

They’re trading Yakupov tomorrow sounds like one of those things someone throws out there and then they don’t post again for three months when it totally doesn’t happen. As logically who trades last year’s first overall pick barring something on the table that another team doesn’t want to give up? If the Habs want to divest themselves of PK Suban sure trade them Yakupov and whatever it takes. But essentially it has to be an irrational piece being put out there to make sense so the likelihood of this happening seems minimal.

27. edwards_daddy says:

Ok, so is deadline day about MacT choosing between trading Hemmer and Yak?

28. striatic says:

edwards_daddy:
    Ok,so is deadline day about MacT choosing between trading Hemmer and Yak?

Hemsky has to go, it makes no sense for the Oilers to keep him for the rest of the year when the playoffs are an impossibility.

if the Oilers want to re-sign him, and he wants to re-sign in Edmonton, then this can happen in the summer. in the meantime get some return for renting him out to a better team down the stretch.

there’s really no choice to be made other than maybe a bunch of teams severely lowball the Oilers to the point where it isn’t worth deflating the market as a whole so you keep him.

regarding Yakupov, moving him is not an either/or with moving Hemsky. maybe he gets moved but if he does leave it isn’t because Hemsky is staying.

29. DeadmanWaking says:

The Great One: If it takes them 9 years and they still finish last in the league, I’ll be the first to admit they have some issues.

How about we align the respective doomsday clocks at G7 SCF disappearing act?

That would be 2006 for the Oilers (small disappearance).

That would be 2011 for the Canucks (large disappearance).

I’m not giving vain cougar any credit at all for going 1 of 8 in the first round in the following two seasons. We could have easily done the same without the CFP anomaly lulu. Signs a six-year contract. Glorious one night stand. Sneaks out under cover of darkness at 0400, leaving a perfunctory note pinned to the bathroom door “not u”.

By my way of reckoning, after a mere five highly achievable years choking on the chthonic seaweed, it’ll be the Canucks desperately trying to toss the sticky red lantern at trade-deadline T-1.

Because I know yours is different, here’s how my math works: 2011-2006 = 5 (as calculated on the official Red Cross earth-gravity spreadsheet).

To dilate five into nine takes one hell of a relativistic poppy field–you must be practically pancaked by the oppressive pall at the panicky pinnacle of the tallest teetering tower of touton turtles.

Beans, a touton, fried egg and bologna: the favourite breakfast of Timothy “tootin’ two-ton” Tuckwell.

While we wait we’ll watch you wet wipe wondering whither.

30. book¡je says:

Slow trade deadline day so far.

31. anonymous says:

I think I will hate the Oilers if they trade Yak. Eakins should go first, clearly he has an issue and his handling of it with Yak borders on unprofessional.

32. jp says:

BONVIE:
    Also trading Yakapov for Myers would be a bold move, especially since so many delusional fans blame Yakapov’s soft board play, tendencies for blue line turnovers, and general lack of defensive awareness on his coach.There love for Yakapov and his ever-growing minus stat line is now being turning into angst towards the masterfully clutch hockey hero that goes by the name of Jordan Eberle.

He’s +2 over the last 10 games. Have you been watching?

33. russ99 says:

Only the Oilers would be stupid enough to make the wrong move today over a two-goal game the might before.

The problem is nobody knows Yak’s real value at this point. Dealing him now would be a shot in the dark and the potential for being burned is high.

I’d rather see Eberle moved before Yak, and we’d need someone better than Myers for that. Plus it would shake Hall and RNH out of the hanging out with the buds mentality they seem to have on and off the ice. Eberle has a quality track record and would fetch a fair price, something we’re realistically not going to see MacT’s moves today.

Plus there would be a tar and feathers march on Rexall if it ever got out we sold low on Yak because of Eakins… Actually scratch that, I’d like to see that… ;)

34. Pouzar says:

BONVIE:

This.
    We are in the minority my friend.

For the record I don’t want Yak to be traded unless it involves a legit #1 d-man but suggesting he can bring back more than Eberle is just silly.

The Great One: Well, the final tally comes at the end of this season.

Do you think Hemsky can outscore Brown by 16 points in the last 20 games?

I thought it was done at the end of last season?

36. book¡je says:

BONVIE:

It’s far too early to draw conclusions on Yak. At the same age Eberle was not in the NHL.

37. Pouzar says:

book¡je: It’s far too early to draw conclusions on Yak.At the same age Eberle was not in the NHL.

That quote works both ways. Yak being a 40 goal scorer isn’t a birth rite. Meanwhile we have Eberle in a severe down year scored his 20th goal last night and will score 60-65 pts.

38. Pouzar says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 1m
    Also told teams starting calling Oilers brass on Sam Gagner again yesterday. #TSN

39. theres oil in virginia says:

So, in the last two games, I’ve seen Eberle go to the net without the puck and screen the goalie resulting in a goal by Perron, and Hall go to the net and screen the goalie resulting in a goal by Hemsky.

40. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia:

Might want to re-watch last nights game at least.
    His 55% CF last night says hi. He had the puck on his stick all 3rd period last night.
    Oh and he scores the winner after making a nice defensive play on the back check.

41. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: Might want to re-watch last nights game at least.

I’m not sure how you interpreted my comment as a criticism of Eberle (I think that’s who you’re referring to) or Hall. Particularly since my pro-Eberle stance can reach Wanye levels at times.

42. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m not sure how you interpreted my comment as a criticism of Eberle (I think that’s who you’re referring to) or Hall.Particularly since my pro-Eberle stance can reach Wanye levels at times.

SO that makes 3 of us. I am building a resistance! Yer in. :)

theres oil in virginia:

44. russ99 says:

book¡je,

Has any other team traded a first overall pick in his sophomore year?

Yak surely has adjusting to do, but it would be folly to move him for today’s needs.

45. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: Sorry. A tad sensitive to the Eberle bashing( and Hall) that goes on around here.

SO that makes 3 of us. I am building a resistance! Yer in.

Ha. Yep, count me in. I just quietly shake my head when Eberle gets traded here. In fairness, the kids do have their weaknesses, but they’re so young. I don’t question their effort, sometimes their effectiveness and their decision making, but not their effort.

46. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: The entire thing looked more positive last night. Maybe they had some Olympic funk.

(Sorry, I’m just now watching the end of the game – with one eye, while at “work”). Yeah, there was definitely some jump after a bit of a tentative start. I like what MacT is doing. He’s chipping away. Also, interesting that the Oilers, who are sellers, are acquiring NHL players for draft picks at the deadline. One last game note: it was Gryba who knocked Hall out earlier this year (dirty play if I recall) and it was Hendricks who gave him the business (boarding) late in the game last night (although I imagine it was not in retaliation for the Hall knee hit). Got a PP out of it too somehow. Weird NHL reffing.

« Older Comments