SENATORS AT OILERS G63, 13-14

We’re in the trade deadline window of opportunity now, don’t hit the can without your phone. Nail Yakupov will play tonight, if you’re at 7-11 and a distant speaker yells “healthy scratch” assume it’s Hemsky.

And we’re rolling.

SCHULTZ TWITTER OH MY

schultz555Nick Schultz’ brother has been tweeting out some very personal things in regard to Nick and the Oilers over the last few months.  It didn’t really reach its audience until last night, and then all hell broke loose. Here are some examples (courtesy Woodguy in the comments section).

• kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 31
    If Yak gave the puck away like Ebs just did he wouldn’t see the ice unless it was in his vodka. Yet Ebs keeps getting tossed over the boards
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 31
    There is as much accountability in that Oiler dressing room as there is hair on Kevin Lowes head. What a sad state of affairs my friends
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 28
    My concept of the Chinese language is equivalent to Sam Gagne’s concept of the Centre position in his own end. #thestickcheckwizard
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Dec 5
    19 is poor lets not kid ourselves.But when is someone going to question Steve Smiths ability to coach?19 simply doesn’t know his position
  • kris schultz ‏@ripper5505Nov 13
    If you don’t play my way and the right way you won’t play” Dallas Eakins. Well guess what Dallas the kids are eating your lunch just like They did to all the other coaches they’ve had. If you punish Yak and call him out you better not look the other way when 4 and 14 mess up

If I were a betting man, Nick Schultz being dealt today would get a lot of coin. I’m not certain if this will get any play beyond twitter, but it does show a side of the Oilers one suspects they don’t want out there. It’s a field day and a disaster. I kind of feel for Kris Schultz, he clearly cares for his brother and this is going to be a tough 24 hours. Hopefully they can have a beer and share a laugh at the lake this summer.

BELOV’S BLUESbelov5

Anton Belov, who I suspect was in play, won’t be traded at the deadline. Belov has a partially torn oblique and won’t be back for at least a couple of weeks. Phil Larsen has a perfectly good plane ticket to OKC if he clears waivers at 10 this morning. I’ve gone through the entire season being uncertain about Belov as an NHL player. I wish I had Kris Schultz’ clarity on the matter.

TRADE DEADLINE VALUE TABLE

• Ales Hemsky: First-round draft pick (or a second and a fourth).
  • Nick Schultz: A third round pick.
  • Ryan Smyth: A fourth round pick.
  • Corey Potter: A fourth round pick.
  • Anton Belov: A fourth round pick.
  • Ilya Bryzgalov: A fourth round pick.
  • Jesse Joensuu: A fourth round pick.
  • Taylor Fedun: A fourth round pick.
  • Mark Fraser: A fourth round pick.
  • Luke Gazdic: A fifth round pick.
  • Ryan Jones: A sixth round pick.
  • Denis Grebeshkov: A seventh round pick.
  • Ben Eager: A seventh round pick.
  • Oscar Klefbom: As part of a hockey deal.

I have not included Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello, but the attention paid by Montreal to the Barons may be coming into view. We’ve heard that MacT is interested in Andrei Markov, and that might be a large deal involving players and picks. I have included Oscar Klefbom for that purpose.

hemsky22The Calgary Flames, beacons of light and truth, tweeted this out two deadlines ago. An apology quickly followed, but it reflects the attitudes many have had toward 83 over the years. Hemsky remained an Oiler then (I believe) because of Kevin Lowe. I do not believe the call will come this time to sign the Pardubice prince, and do suspect he will be dealt—perhaps before game time. Ales Hemsky is the focus of a fine article by Travis Yost here and is mentioned here in a Rob Rossi article detailing Pittsburgh’s interest. The perfect fit for Hemsky? San Jose, followed by Pittsburgh and then (imo) Ottawa. I always wonder about New Jersey when a player is undervalued.

markov1We discussed Andrei Markov on Sunday, that rumor has legs and became a central item on twitter yesterday. I think we can see the logic—bringing in a veteran guy who can play big, tough minutes—but that was part of the idea with Andrew Ference and it resulted in a long term deal with subpar results (so far). I do understand the thinking behind sending (as an example) Oscar Klefbom and a 2015 pick to Montreal for Markov (and then signing him) because it alters the depth chart in a very nice way.

• Markov-J Schultz
  • Marincin-Petry
  • Ference-Dillon Simpson

I used Simpson, your mileage may vary. The question I have about Markov is this: how much of the numbers are him and how much are his partner? Also how much does he have left?

ANDREI MARKOV EXTRA SKATER PLAYER CARD

markov extras skaterTHE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

markov sledgehammer

We’ll see. I don’t know that they’ll get Markov, but if they do the salary and term are one concern, the ask is the other. That’s a rumor worth fretting over.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

rocknrollaThis is the day to check your twitter every minute. We’ll have all the updates and the breaking news, and it’s a busy show, too. 10 this morning on TSN 1260, here’s the schedule:

• Scott Cullen from TSN. Deadline and is St. Louis the favorite for Stanley? He also has an interesting take on some of the big names available at the deadline.
  • Andrew Berkshire from Habs Eye on the Prize. Montreal at the deadline, and I’ll ask how a team that plays Douglas Murray 20 minutes a night maintains a playoff spot.
  • Corey Graham Oil Kings PBP. Medicine Hat and Calgary put some sting into the weekend, OK in SK to make it better.
  • Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk deadline, Scrivens deal and more.
  • Darrin Bauming from TSN. Jets at the deadline and Buck Pierce calls it a career.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’s going to be a blast, see you on the radio!

447 Responses to "SENATORS AT OILERS G63, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. tcho says:

Worrisome comments from someone close to the organization, to be sure. Reflective of a brother’s emotional reaction to his kin’s struggles within an organization? Reflective of the player’s views? Or reflective of a deeper culture/attitude prevalent among many players?

The Edmonton Thrashers are developing a reputation as being where careers go to die, no? We’d better pony up some extra coin to attract free agents – it’ll be the last pro org they ever get to lace up for…

2. flyfish1168 says:

I wrote this last evening:

Andrei Markov is 35 years old and is 6′ 0″ and only 200 lbs. Is he really what we should be aiming for by trading away a 1st round or any draft picks. I say a resounding NO. If we sign I’m as a UFA I would go more year at time and no more than 4 million. He is a band aid solution and no more than one year with an option. Just one persons opinion.

to give up on any of our top prospect is depleting our cupboard. We should be aiming for a player that is a little older than the core not a grandpa. If we are willing to give up on a top prospect than Yandle should be the player of choice. He comes from a strong defensive team where he is a leader and now expendible, plus he is younger than Markov. Its what you are going to do for me a year or two from now NOT what you have done and that is Markov. His best days are behind him not infront.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lady pants had the Habs interested in Nick Schultz last night too… he could be a piece the Habs were looking at as a partial Markov return.

That’s a much better deal for the Oilers (say Nick and a 3rd) for Markov than anything involving real prospects.

You can sign Markov for just $$ in the offseason so I don’t see a lot of upside in sending away a really good prospect. Esp. considering he might walk.

4. thejonrmcleod says:

I saw somewhere that Dreger said that Carolina is looking to shed salary and Jordan Staal might be someone they’d be willing to deal. I know he has a huge contract, but I’m thinking the Oilers would love to dump Gagner and add J. Staal as their #2 C.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If someone could give a gloss on what’s under the paywall here I’d appreciate it:

6. Ben says:

I’m not in PR, but I don’t really see anything wrong with Schultz-bros comments.

And on one point in particular (Steve Smith) I wonder if he isn’t completely spot-on. The men charged with teaching defense to these guys over the last 4-5 years have clearly had a disastrous influence.

Our best off-season acquisition would be to get that master turd-polisher Charlie Huddy back here.

7. thejonrmcleod says:

If the Oilers could get Markov without giving up too much and sign him for 3 years or less, I think that might be wise. The Oilers need a couple of veteran defenseman who can provide above replacement level play until Klefbom, Nurse, etc. are ready.

8. HugThePost says:

Hoo boy. Not that there was any doubt in the need to get rid of NShultz, but his last few hours in that dressing room today might be a bit awkward. Sure, he is not doing well on a bad team, but kind of makes one wonder: if he is actually giving his brother some insight into his thoughts and perhaps the dressing room dynamic, what are other guys in there thinking? When was the last time we actually had some level of maturity and stability in that locker room where there was no hint that the inmates were running the asylum? It’s all rumor and conjecture, sure. If I were a free agent who had choices, I don’t think the gong show that is the Oilers would even be on my list of maybe’s. Funny how all of the knives come out when the going gets rough though. This is the time for guys like 4 and 14 to show the rest of the team the way, but it doesn’t seem like they are doing it in spades. In fact, it sure seems at times they are out there for themselves. Damn kids.

As for Markov, sure, I can understand getting him as a bridge player, but at what cost? His previous injuries, especially his knees would worry me.

9. leadfarmer says:

So something is rotten in Oilerland. Most of us had suspicions.

I don’t get the Markov rumblings. This is the time of the year when UFA defenseman are the most expensive. So you are going to pay through the roof for 20 games of Markov, before you pay through the roof in free agency. All that for a declining asset. Sounds like a terrible idea.

10. Racki says:

This is Nick’s brother, not nick.. So as far as I’m concerned, there is no concern re: Nick other than he isn’t that good of a D man either. But really, this is just fan commentary to me. I’ll add though that what he’s saying most of us have either said or thought. I almost wish Nick said it cause then it might be what’s needed to get things changing a bit. But I don’t think there’s a big problem. I think you have to treat players a little differently. You have to figure out what motivates each player.

11. Bar_Qu says:

Kris Schultz is only saying things I have been reading on here (and other places) for the entire season. I don’t know that it is really much more “insiderzz!” than what is clear just by looking at the team and its play. But basically there are several things we could infer would be improvements for next year (based on our collective insight, bolstered by these tweets):
    - maintaining the message of accountability for all the players is critical – play indifferent you sit, no matter whom
    -NEW ASS’T COACHES – they can all go, with the exception of maybe Acton
    -Gagner was really hosed by his time in Edmonton and I really don’t know if he will be the kind of reliable player into his 30s that his dad was – tossing him overboard today is a bad idea, but it is not a bad idea this summer.
    -Winning some games will change a lot

And once again, the firing of Tom Renney is looking more and more like one of the worst moves Steve Tambellini made. The Oil can’t fire Eakins now, but he is a shadow of Renney and I hope he can use the summer to re-adjust what needs to happen next year.

12. Hammers says:

You don’t give up Klefbom for Markov or any other UFA . Markov could still go back to Montreal . As for Schultz’s comments many have been said by others on this blog . My biggest concern is the one about accountability in the dressing room as that speaks to the group in there not getting along and that makes me think the tail is wagging the dog . This brings us to both the captain & the coach . Between them the message ( If there is one ) isn’t getting through .

13. HugThePost says:

Racki:
    This is Nick’s brother, not nick.. So as far as I’m concerned, there is no concern re: Nick other than he isn’t that good of a D man either. But really, this is just fan commentary to me. I’ll add though that what he’s sayingmost of us have either said or thought. I almost wish Nick said it cause then it might be what’s needed to get things changing a bit. But I don’t think there’s a big problem. I think you have to treat players a little differently. You have to figure out what motivates each player.

That’s a valid point. But the optics are that this is someone who has one direct degree of separation from the team putting out these comments, so I think it puts 15 in an awkward position too. Who knows what problems are in that room and how big/bad they are. My thought is that all of the constant losing likely isn’t doing well for morale. Plus, if us fans can see inconsistencies in the coaching and how some players are treated as opposed to others, I’d imagine some players can see it too? This kind of reminds me of the rumors coming out the 2007-09 era team of a rift between the vets and the kids.

If any of this is true, the Oilers really are doing things wrong. Good teams heavily value stability, which is usually provided by mature, intelligent players who carry themselves like pros and instill those values to the new guys. The ones who don’t fall into line are culled, no matter what their draft pedigree (see Tyler Seguin). Here, it would seem a player’s draft pedigree is the currency used to get gifted ice time and to have rights to run the prison yard and eat the coach’s lunch, as 15′s bro put it so eloquently.

14. rich says:

Would not surprise me if a couple of guys in the room go up to Schultz the Elder and and give him a nod re: his brother’s comments. Would be shocked if any of the guys called out said anything to him though, because if it’s gotten this far, it really doesn’t matter to the guys who are being called out as they feel untouchable and this is just the comments of a guy who is out the door.

Does point to the fact that the Oilers do have a real mess.

I wonder if at some point, some of the kids on this team don’t start getting a reputation for being coach killers? As much as we know that Kevin Lowe has done a terrible job the last few years, the carousel of coaches at some point in time also has to catch up to the players as well.

Seems that the worst thing that could happen this summer is they can Eakins…but they better get him some real NHL assistants – especially on defense and special teams or he’s not going to last to American Thanksgiving next year.

15. Kitchener says:

thejonrmcleod,

If true, that’d qualify as BOLD. Gagner + pick + prospect? Yes, the contract is big ($6M until 2023), but he’s 25, 53.% at faceoffs, would play with scoring wingers, and there’d be no more controversy about our top 3C.

If nothing else, it’s nice to think about between now and when we hear the news, “Hemsky to ___ for a bag of pucks.”

16. Jordan says:

Here’s the problem with the Oilers.

All their bets are on the future. They are all on development, and waiting for the kids to mature and take the next step.

The value of having a first line of Hall RNH Yak is that they could eventually be a dominant first line in the NHL. The value of having Jultz, Petry, Marincin, Fedun, Belov et. all on the back is that they could EVENTUALLY end up being really good puck moving d corps.

But right now it means they aren’t consistent enough to win consistently, and they are all picking up bad habits (Dubnyk, Kultz) and instead of working to elevate their game are stagnating.

This team needs a top D pairing and a full first line now. They have for nearly a decade, but after pronger everyone was convinced the lineup could be tweaked and once MacT left the bench everyone seemed to think that you just wait for the kids to fill those holes.

The chickens have come home to roost. And now the Oilers logo is covered in chickenshit.

The smart play is to call Pat Lafontaine and hire him. I like a lot of what MacT is doing, but god damn it’s like trying to clean out a barn in the spring after the guy caring for the cows all winter just piled more straw on top of the old stuff. The deeper you get, the stinkier the cow dung. Only solution is to get more people in there who have strong backs and want to see the job done right.

17. Ducey says:

Racki:

Yeah. I agree. You can’t pick you siblings and maybe Nick’s brother is a know it all because his brother is an NHL player. Most of those comments are in real time, presumably while the game is on. Unless Nick is texting to his brother from the bench, brother is just making stuff up as he goes.

I find it amusing that people on the internet are so eager to jump on this type of stuff. Not only in the hockey blogoshpere but elsewhere. For some, this has just bare minimum of credibility to justify their own criticism. In reality, it has about as much value as your brother’s tweets about your workplace based on your comments at the last family dinner.

“Field day” and “disaster” are overblowing the situation – substantially.

18. book¡je says:

Its really strange to me that people assume that Kris Schultz is a real insider. Most of what he says suggests no inside views, but rather that of a fan. I am pretty sure he was an Oiler fan prior to his brother joining the team and now is watching his team finish 30th and his brother struggling and so he rants a little bit to his 20 or so followers forgetting that it’s a public venue and that his brother could be affected.

A series of tweets over 6 months are collected together into a small pack of tweets, goes viral on the oilogosphere, and then the site is deleted.

If any of the tweets said anything like “Nick is pretty tired of the poor management” or something that actually suggests insight beyond what any of us have, then some assumptions might be warranted.

The only NHLer I knew (not closely) made a point of not talking hockey with relatives because, like politics, everyone has an opinion.

In any case, I think its great that these were circulated, but I think we need to be cautious assuming that it is insider knowledge.

19. thejonrmcleod says:

On the Oilers’ website, there’s a story on Arcobello with some quotes from Eakins.

“I’ve been keeping an eye on Arco to see, initially, how he would respond to that news going down,” Oilers Head Coach Dallas Eakins said on Monday. “Sometimes the guys go into a depressed mode and they aren’t very good. Arco has done exactly what we had hoped. He’s gone there and lit it on fire.”

20. Bar_Qu says:

BTW, do most people think the Christian Ehrhoff boat has sailed? Surely he would be more easily available than Markov, or is it likely the Oil are on his no-trade list?

21. Pretendergast says:

Hearing meszaros is commanding a 2nd rounder, we could flip the hemsky pick for that, he was fantastic for slovakia, could be a mentor for martin as well.

22. Ducey says:

Oh, and as much as I hate the Flames, that tweet was accurate. Hemsky did not earn his money. Not even close.

23. Colieo87 says:

Who here really thinks there is going to be a block buster trade, I think a lot of fans are accepting that it’s getting harder in this salary cap world and especially when you see rumors swirling that a guy wants out but has a no trade clause and gives the gm a list to the only teams he would waive that N/C. One one had the I blame the GM in the first place giving him that N/C cause it sure handcuff his hands on trying to move the player. But on the other hand boy it sure nice to have that protection as a player.
    Who cares? 1/5 of these deals will go through and none wiill represent the fantasies these guys come up with.
    Grab a hustler if you want to fantasize. You will have better luck.

24. thejonrmcleod says:

Jordan: The smart play is to call Pat Lafontaine and hire him.

Seriously?

I’m sad that this is probably Hemsky’s last game as an Oiler.

For 8 of the last 10 years he’s been the only thing worth watching on this team (Lubo’s skating excepted)

I hope he scores a goal and that whoever is picking the 3 stars realizes what this game means to many fans and put 83 out there as first star.

26. Lois Lowe says:

If Jordan Staal is actually available, I hope MacT moves heaven and earth to land him.

27. book¡je says:

I think Arcobello may well be one of the guys who comes back up after the trade deadline and establishes himself (again) as part of the core. I don’t have a problem with his going down. The season was lost and if this gives him a push to be a better player – great.

28. Ribs says:

How about instead of trading assets for Markov, Katz pays me a small sum to drive to Montreal, find Markov’s house, knock on his door, and slap him straight in the face?

Makes more sense.

29. Ducey says:

Ribs:

Makes more sense.

I wonder about the use of rumours by GM’s. MTL is negotiating with Markov and MacT can’t tamper in that. However, it must be tempting to have someone from the Oilers talk to “an insider” who puts it out there that the Oilers may offer more term. It just might cause him to go to free agency.

30. The Great One says:

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 7m

Just told by informed source that Wild has targeted Halak and are expected to get him from Buffalo…so that would be a NO re Brodeur….

31. Bad Seed says:

Lois Lowe,

It’s surprising to hear that they’re shopping Staal. I thought Carolina was collecting Staals? Weren’t all the brothers supposed to end up there?

32. The Great One says:

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74 35m

Ryan Kesler trade talks definitely continuing but told talks regarding Roberto Luongo heating up and Capitals could be involved.

33. Ben says:

Hey! Here’s a little down-and-dirty rock ‘n roll to get us ready for the approaching armada of ‘sail on’ posts:

34. BONVIE says:

Bar_Qu,

It definitely made no sense at the time to fire Renney with the injuries that season and the weak lineup he had to work with, the results were reasonable and it looked and felt to me that progress was being made.

35. The Great One says:

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74 41m

Per one NHL exec on possibility they’re after Luongo: “Caps are desperate. Wouldn’t surprise me.”

36. Pouzar says:

Potter on waivers.

37. hags9k says:

Markov? Second rate player for a second division team. Says this tier 2 fan. I like Ribs’ idea.

38. The Great One says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

On waivers today: Trevor Smith (TOR), Jake Dowell (MIN), Corey Potter (EDM), Joe Corvo and Cory Conacher (OTT), Derek Smith (CGY) plus…

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Scott Gomez and Scot Clemmensen (FLA) also on waivers.

39. RexLibris says:

On Hemsky – I think we’ve seen his last game.

Over at FN there have been a series of articles postulating Cammalleri trade scenarios. I’ll quote this from the Phoenix article as I believe that, along with Matheson’s piece the other day, it can give us some outside insight into what the potential market for a winger like Hemsky could be worth in comparison to Cammalleri – “Realistic Scenario: 2014 2nd/3rd Round Pick + A/B Prospect (David Rundblad, Henrik Samuelsson, Lucas Lessio, Tobias Rieder)”

Link is here http://flamesnation.ca/2014/3/3/cammalleri-trade-scenarios-phoenix

So if we were to assume Hemsky is 2/3rd value to GMs of Cammalleri (because the league doesn’t know beauty when it hits them in the face) then I think we’d be looking at a 2nd round pick or a prospect perhaps south of the Henrik Samuelsson line. Heck, I might add Arcobello to the trade if it meant Samuelsson, but I realize I’m not exactly objective here.

I like what Eakins is saying about Arcobello. Let’s see what happens on March 6th.

On Markov, I’d rather they pursue him in free-agency than throwing assets overboard, especially ones with real NHL value like Klefbom. MacTavish seems to love Klefbom based on the quotes earlier in the season, so I doubt that happens. Either way, Markov seems like another in a long line of veteran d-men the Oilers have pursued going back to Souray.

I’m not enthused.

40. The Great One says:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 1m

Millard “I’ve heard rumours of Kulemin to Florida so that the Leafs can go and make another room with that cap space”

41. RexLibris says:

Pouzar,

So Conacher, the piece in the Ben Bishop trade, is on waivers. But Ryan Jones, the offer from Tambellini, is still in the NHL (for now).

Huh.

Markov-J Schultz
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Dillon Simpson

That D will give the Oilers a decent shot a 1st Overall

45. The Great One says:

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 2m

Cammalleri scored last goal as a Flame last night. Told he’s going to be traded, just matter of when. Suspect teams waiting on Vanek/Moulson

46. The Great One says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m

Florida closing in on a trade involving d-man Mike Weaver. Canadiens are among teams with interest in Weaver. Draft pick likely return.

47. The Great One says:

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 1m
    Defenseman Philip Larsen has cleared waivers and has been assigned to OKC.

48. su_dhillon says:

Wow had no idea about those tweets but certainly make 3 things clear to me.
    1. There is certainly resentment in the room for the preferential treatment given to Hall, Eberle and Gagner. I think most players understand stars get more rope and are cool with it, the situation with this team seems to be outside the norms. The fact that Yak has been treated so differently from those 3 also is not lost on the team and again creates some resentment. Not Good.

2. The perceived coaching issues ( Smith & Buchburger) are shared at least by some on the team. This obviously creates problems, if players don’t believe the coaches can help them well things probably aren’t going to improve.

3. Nick Schults is gone tomorrow.

This is the last game we will see Ales in Oiler colors which makes me incredibly sad. For all the fans and media that have killed him and continually point out all the issues with him and how much better Eberle is, the fact is when Ales played on the top line, the Oilers were a much better team. I am not convinced Eberle will help you win games more than Ales did and I remain convinced the right move all along was using Eberle as trade bait for a Dman and signing Hemsky to be one of your top 2 RWs with Yak. Obviously the Oilers disagree.

Ales Hemsky has been an absolute joy to watch for 11 seasons, scored massive goals in that fantastic 05 run, sacrificed his body regularly without a second thought, played his heart out and when everyone else wanted out he never once asked to jump ship. Here’s hoping there are a couple of Stanleys in his future with a first class organization that appreciates what a fantastic player he still is.

49. Marcus Oilerius says:

Anyone else notice that Sam Gagner hasn’t popped up in any trade rumors on any site so far? Pittsburgh is rumoured to be interested in Hemsky, Montreal in Schultz, there are rumors about Kesler for Schenn or Couturier, but nothing about Gagner. =/

50. RexLibris says:

The Great One:
    David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod2m

Gauthier traded him mid-game. Why doesn’t Burke just dress him for tomorrow and see what happens? j/k

51. RexLibris says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Anyone else notice that Sam Gagner hasn’t popped up in any trade rumors on any site so far?Pittsburgh is rumoured to be interested in Hemsky, Montreal in Schultz, there are rumors about Kesler for Schenn or Couturier, but nothing about Gagner. =/

Everyone is looking at rentals. Gagner will move at the draft if at all.

52. nycoil says:

Still have my Hemsky shirt at home in my closet. My favourite player post-Doug Weight. I will shed a tear for him. Sadly, injury has caught up to him (although he is still dynamite at times) and management failed to surround him with real talent in time for him.

Even more sad, though I still love the player, a 40pt 2-way winger with a long injury history and a very false, but vicious media reputation as a slacker and “soft” player, making $5m per and is a UFA, just does not command any kind of value. At all. That’s the reality. Some team is going to get him for something like two 3rd rounders. or a third and a B-level prospect (Horak type).

Again, though it doesn’t make sense for those of us who follow the team and pay some attention to advanced stats, I’d say Smid’s perceived value around the league at the time of the trade was greater than Hemsky’s current value.

I think Markov is being underrated by many on this blog, but he is aging and losing a step, no doubt. Still, he can be a very solid PP QB for a couple of years and show 19 how to run a 5-on-4 at the NHL level. If the cost isn’t prohibitive and he will re-sign here, I wouldn’t be opposed to obtaining him.

Ehrhoff, would be a better fit, but he is going to cost a lot more, as there are probably 15 teams that would want him if Buffalo decides to take on the recapture risk on that contract and move him.

53. book¡je says:

su_dhillon,

You did see that those tweets were not from Nick Schultz, right?

54. The Great One says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 6m
    Also hearing the Coyotes are up to something. They’re three points out but want to make playoff push.

55. su_dhillon says:

book¡je,

Yeah I get that and maybe his brother is just throwing stuff out there and Nick doesnt give a shit but i think its more plausible that this is coming from Nick Schultz, if he didnt want to be associated with those comments I think he would of had his brother delete.

56. The Great One says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 12m

Hearing Leafs want as many open roster spots as they can get to give them flexibility. Interesting. If no trade, maybe they claim someone?

57. Wolfpack says:

I am really going to miss Hemsky. He was under-appreciated by a lot of media and most fans in his time here. For most of the past decade, prior to the arrival of Eberle and the other young guns he was the one player who could bring you out of your seat at any time. I hope he goes to a contender and has a long playoff run.

Hemsky was never afraid to go into the corners or the front of the net, and his body took a beating as a result. I imagine that on top of the games missed due to injury he probably played hurt a lot. I shake my head when I hear people describe him as “soft”. You just can’t fix stupid.

If the Oilers would have found a way to acquire bigger, stronger players for their top-9 I think Hemsky would still be able to help this team win. But as it stands, he will go elsewhere and I hope be is appreciated more there than he was here.

58. nycoil says:

Of all the players we’ve picked up off the scrap heap, have any been better than this young man? Free is cheap.

59. Bar_Qu says:

nycoil,

The only stat that matters to the Oilers about Conacher is 5’8″, 179lbs

60. The Great One says:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 1m

Mike Weaver has been traded to Montreal. Believed to be picks coming other way #Panthers #Habs

61. The Great One says:

Blake Price ‏@blakeprice1040 50s

And yes, for those connecting dots… Erat coming back is a possibility, or cap help on Luongo contract..

62. Ducey says:

Bar_Qu:
    nycoil,

The only stat that matters to the Oilers about Conacher is 5’8″, 179lbs

What would be the point of picking him up? I’d rather they give the icetime to the likes of Horak, Pitlick, Lander and Arcobello.

63. hoser313 says:

The Oilers should be targeting Ehrhoff, not Markov. Name one other top pair defenceman we can get signed long-term with a cap hit of $4M per season.

Offer the 2015 1st round pick plus a good prospect (probably has to be Klefbom or Simpson).

Ehrhoff’s window fits nicely with the contract window on the core players.

Need to act now to seize on Buffalo’s willingness to trade actual players for draft picks.

64. RexLibris says:

The Oilers have Arcobello already (not to mention Gagner) and so don’t need Conacher.

Now, if someone waives a 50-point, 6’4″ 230 pound winger the Oilers may just show some interest.

65. RexLibris says:

hoser313:
    The Oilers should be targeting Ehrhoff, not Markov.Name one other top pair defenceman we can get signed long-term with a cap hit of $4M per season.

Ehrhoff’s window fits nicely with the contract window on the core players.

Erhoff has a list of eight teams to which he will not accept a trade.

My guess is Edmonton is on that list at least once.

66. The Great One says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
    FLA trades Mike Weaver to MTL in exchange for 5th round pick in 2015. #TSN #Tradecentre

67. Ducey says:

Man. Luongo AGAIN? Gillis better make a useful move. That organization can’t take any more of that soap opera.

Of course, he then has to deal with Kesler, and Torts, and the lack of skill up front, and that window slamming shut.

What a mess.

68. Ryan says:

RexLibris:

Makes you wonder why the Oilers have never thought of pumping someone’s tires during a lost season for trade bait.

Granted, the way they’re playing this season, that’s probably not really possible.

Lois Lowe:

$6MM/YR until 2023 scares me a little.

Never has brought a ton of offence.

That being said, he’s played mostly with Gerbe and Dwyer this year. Whoever are the Oilers 2nd line wingers are next year is sure to be an upgrade.

Not a big fan of his.

70. Pouzar says:

hoser313:

No way!

I want to draft Ekblad then tank for McDavid.

There I said it!

*running away*

71. Ryan says:

The flyers have tabled a substantial offer for Kesler according to TSN.

72. The Great One says:

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m

No surprise, Ryan Kesler is at #canucks morning skate & expected to take part. His agent Kurt Overhardt also in Phoenix

73. Ducey says:

The Great One:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie2m

Is Weaver > or < Nultz?

74. Oilanderp says:

Those Bultz (Brother of Nultz) comments are nothing more than what any person watching Oiler games can see, and should be treated as such. It’s nothing to do with Nultz short of the expression of frustration by a caring brother.

There really is no news here.

I hope they fix things in that room. Having two tiers in an organization will surely result in failure. Everyone is accountable and you do it as a team or you don’t do it at all. Tommy Douglas knew that. I’m in BC so I am allowed to spout socialist democratic ideas. Now if you will excuse me I have to change my address before the NSA tells Harper about my dissent.

75. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: $6MM/YR until 2023 scares me a little.

Never has brought a ton of offence.

That being said, he’s played mostly with Gerbe and Dwyer this year.Whoever are the Oilers 2nd line wingers are next year is sure to be an upgrade.

Not a big fan of his.

They tried him with Skinner with disastrous results.

76. The Great One says:

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 1m

Oilers PR guy says there is “No chance” Ales Hemsky will be doing any interviews this morning before his final game in Edmonton

77. nycoil says:

Ducey,

Why does it have to be Conacher at the expense of Lander/Pitlick/Horak, etc.? I still see other dead weight on the roster… Jones, Joensuu even. And presuming Smyth, Hemsky, Jones at least are as good as gone, well, let Conacher, Horak, Pitlick, Lander fight it out for spots for next year. Competition is a good thing.

78. hoser313 says:

RexLibris: Erhoff has a list of eight teams to which he will not accept a trade.

My guess is Edmonton is on that list at least once.

You’re probably right – that’s why you would need to overpay Buffalo a bit so they can try to convince the player too. Still worth trying.

79. Marcus Oilerius says:

These are our D pairings tonight…

Andrew Ference – Mark Fraser
    Anton Belov – Jeff Petry
    Nick Schultz – Justin Schultz

Is there a site that takes bets on single games? Because I’d put a hundred bucks down at even 1.1 odds.

80. The Great One says:

Ducey: Is Weaver > or < Nultz?

Much better than Schultz.

Has a big blue bubble on the Vollman charts.

81. Yeti says:

The Great One: Much better than Schultz.

Has a big blue bubble on the Vollman charts.

Yes, but is he a warrior with international experience and considerable poise?

82. Pouzar says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    These are our D pairings tonight…

Andrew Ference – Mark Fraser
    Anton Belov – Jeff Petry
    Nick Schultz – Justin Schultz

Is there a site that takes bets on single games?Because I’d put a hundred bucks down at even 1.1 odds.

I thought Belov had a torn oblique muscle?

83. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar,

Oh? Well then, even better… Who could fill in for him?

84. The Great One says:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 4m

Trade targets for Erhoff down to SJ, Van and BOS as of this morning. Most of his money has been paid already. I believe BOS is leader of PAC

85. Pouzar says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Pouzar,

Oh?Well then, even better…Who could fill in for him?

Why do you have Belov in place of Marincin?

There fixed. :)

86. Pouzar says:

Strange with the 2 d-men on waivers they haven’t called anyone up leaving us with only 6 healthy d-men up with the big club.

87. The Great One says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m

Decent interest in 23 yr old Florida d-man Dmitri Kulikov, however, the Panthers have decided not to trade him. Makes sense.

88. Bad Seed says:

The Great One,

Interesting that 2 out of the 3 are his former teams.

89. The Great One says:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 1m

Moulson price settling in at a first and a mid level prospect. Debate over which year for the first happening now.

90. Pouzar says:

I’ll save you some time LT…the Jets ain’t doin sh!te at the deadline.

91. The Great One says:

Bad Seed:
    The Great One,

Interesting that 2 out of the 3 are his former teams.

Yeah.

I think both SJS and VAN miss him on the PP.

92. denny33 says:

hoser313,

Ehrhoff’s window fits nicely with the contract window on the core players.
    **********************************************************************************************
    Erhoff turns 32 this summer. RNH is 20.

Not 100% sure Christian scribbled the word Edmonton on his list of 8 teams he would accept a trade to…

93. OilClog says:

No one will remember this.. But I said about a month ago Nick Schultz Brother (kris) informed me that Nick is packed and ready to get the F out of Oiler land.

Wasn’t just because he’s clearly a rental, our beloved team isn’t anything but.

94. Ducey says:

nycoil:
    Ducey,

Why does it have to be Conacher at the expense of Lander/Pitlick/Horak, etc.? I still see other dead weight on the roster… Jones, Joensuu even. And presuming Smyth, Hemsky, Jonesat least are as good as gone, well, let Conacher, Horak, Pitlick, Lander fight it out for spots for next year. Competition is a good thing.

You have the 4 wonderkids, Gagner, Perron, Flash Gordon, Gazdik, Hendricks. Thats 9. They already can’t play all of Horak, Pitlick, Lander and Acrobello. Thats not including Joensuu, who I am sure they would like to get healthy and playing lots.

95. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

I am curious why you wouldn’t want Staal.

Staal is big, he is a strong two way player and has hit around 50 points for times in his career, about what you would expect from a two way second line centre. He is only 25 and the only thing that should matter is that he will be in his prime for the next five or six years. He is paid about 1.2m more than Gagner, but brings much more to the table.

If it really is a salary dump, then the oilers can probably offer the most attractive package in Klefbom and the 1st without giving anything of the current roster.

That also allows the team to ship one of Eberle, Gagner or Yakupov for a defender and still have two very strong top lines.

With the Scrivens signing, it looks like the oilers will save a little cap space in goal that could make up the difference between Gagner and Staal.

The oilers are never going to have a better opportunity than this. Staal on a salary dump is a gift from the hockey gods. The oilers should seize the day.

96. Racki says:

Why are people so offended when people outside Oilers players knock the team? Like Lars Eller.. He was honest, and fans here freaked over it. This team sucks and everyone from Kevin Lowe down to a fetus developing in an expectant mother at a game can see it. It’s stating the obvious. It’s not a big relevation. People here say this stuff all the time. Not a big deal of an Oilers player’s brother expressed his own opinion

97. Alsker says:

Little of topic, any guesses @ what burkes up to with his press conference today? New GM? Singing the praises of Cam some more?

98. The Great One says:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 14m

Don’t be surprised if Kesler ends up in CHI via a blind three way deal……. Lot going on behind scenes on this one!

99. Hammers says:

Pouzar: I thought Belov had a torn oblique muscle?

Yea and why is Marincin out ?????

100. Mr DeBakey says:

The Great One: Ducey: Is Weaver > or < Nultz?

Much better than Schultz.
    Has a big blue bubble on the Vollman charts.

Considering the conference effect,
    equally poopy.
    Both have 4 assists, zero goals
    Get outscored.
    But Weaver isn’t being out shot

101. gcw_rocks says:

I don’t know why the oilers would trade for Markov. As a free agent I would absolutely sign him to a short term deal. But I wouldn’t trade real assets for him at his age. Silly move if it’s true. Much better to go after Ehrhoff.

102. The Great One says:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 10m

Some prospects as trade targets coming into play just recently Runblad #PHX Connelly #TBL Shinkaurk #VAN Hoffman OTT Miller #NYR more….

103. gcw_rocks says:

On the Schultz thing – the oilers locker room is dysfunctional? What a shocker… not! It’s the Kevin Lowe MacT clown show.

104. su_dhillon says:

The Great One,
    Great One are you Brian Lawton?

105. The Great One says:

Mr DeBakey: Considering the conference effect,
    equally poopy.
    Both have 4 assists, zero goals
    Get outscored.
    But Weaver isn’t being out shot

Neither has ever been considered an offensive defence man.

But Weaver, playing with Garrison was part of one of the best shutdown pairs in the league with Florida a couple of years back.

I’m very surprised Tallon sold him so cheaply.

106. The Great One says:

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie
    Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 6m

Some stuff definitely in the works with #NHLDucks. Am hearing that @TSNBobMcKenzie report of acquiring Stephane Robidas is very possible.

107. fifthcartel says:

Kevin Weekes
    @KEvinWeekes
    Also hearing Fasth could be on move,perhaps to @EdmontonOilers

108. The Great One says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Dustin Penner is a Washington Capital. #TSN #Tradecentre

109. The Great One says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Anaheim Ducks are indeed acquiring Stephane Robidas from the Dallas Stars. … not official yet though

110. The Great One says:

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 46s

Ducks have multiple trades they’ve completed. Waiting on trade calls.

111. The Great One says:

etweeted by Bob McKenzie
    Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 2m

Also hearing @Dustinpenner25 to Washington is real in addition to Viktor Fasth heading to Edmonton.

112. su_dhillon says:

So LT goes off the air and Oilers make a trade, Somehing kind of perfect about that.

113. The Great One says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 1m

Anaheim has tremendous depth in goal. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the Oilers have landed Viktor Fasth. One year left 2.9M cap hit

114. thejonrmcleod says:

This comments section has become a list or retweets for the sake of people not on Twitter.

115. Pouzar says:

630Ched (Tencer) saying Fasth on his way.

116. thejonrmcleod says:

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers have acquired a 2014 fourth-round draft pick from the @mnwild in exchange for goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov.

117. AZOIL says:

Fasth, what did we give up?

118. The Great One says:

thejonrmcleod:

Just the fastest way to spread trade news.

Faster than radio :)

119. Yeti says:

So Fasth and Scrivens. I think I can live with that, but there’s a fair bit of risk involved…

120. Pouzar says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

Wow…here we go!

121. thejonrmcleod says:

The Great One,

What’s your username on Twitter?

122. wordbird says:

Fasth has been injured for yonks (i know, took him in a hockey pool).

123. OilClog says:

Where’s Bryz going?

Wait tsn just pinched me..

Minnesota

124. Pouzar says:

So a nice 2 headed goalie monster next year for $5.7 mil

125. The Great One says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 15s

126. Ducey says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

Thats right off the LT songsheet. Good move.

127. OilClog says:

thejonrmcleod:

This is my most important news feed personally lol

128. The Great One says:

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 33s

Penner traded on National Pancake Day. How perfect is that?

129. The Great One says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 1m

Confirmed. Penner costs #Caps a 4th round pick.

130. Ryan says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

that worked out well. free draft pick for signing Breezegaloff (Brownlee’s pronunciation).

131. Pouzar says:

No word on what we gave up for Fasth?

132. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Wow…here we go!

I took the over on the 3.5 trades for trade deadline.

This is one.

We still have Hemsky, Schultz and perhaps Jones and Smyth.

Come on, MacTavish, make me a winner!

133. Pouzar says:

The Great One:
    Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper1m

Confirmed. Penner costs #Caps a 4th round pick.

Wow…Bryz and Penner traded for 4th rd picks….who had that in their trade prediction pool after 30 games?

134. The Great One says:

Eric Duhatschek ‏@eduhatschek 2m

You’d have to think the Anaheim moves – trading Penner and Fasth – are to clear $ away to acquire Robidas from Dallas. #NHLTradeDeadline

135. RexLibris says:

The Great One: Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 1mConfirmed. Penner costs #Caps a 4th round pick.

Does this mean that he *gasp* isn’t worth a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick?

136. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I took the over on the 3.5 trades for trade deadline.

This is one.

We still have Hemsky, Schultz and perhaps Jones and Smyth.

Come on, MacTavish, make me a winner!

Dammnit….I have no chance with my Under 3.5 now! :)

137. RexLibris says:

The Great One: Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 15sThe Bryzgalov discussions between EDM and MIN rekindled…Wild circled back after initially holding off.

So should we include this draft pick in the Smid-trade valuation?

138. Ryan says:

RexLibris: Does this mean that he *gasp* isn’t worth a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick?

The Oilers sold high on Penner, but they paid high too. lol.

139. The Great One says:

Dustin Penner ‏@Dustinpenner25 2m

That’s weird.It’s not April 1st either. Hmm.I feel used…”Like a young boy comin in for a qvwicke” see ya soon Teddy KGB @ovi8 @washcaps

140. Yeti says:

IHOP says he’s worth every damned one of those picks.

141. RexLibris says:

Ryan: The Oilers sold high on Penner, but they paid high too. lol.

I’d say they paid high, sold just below and have since watched his value steadily decline.

The major saving grace is that one of the pieces forfeited was fortuitously returned by way of Justin Schultz.

142. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Dammnit….I have no chance with my Under 3.5 now!

We’ll see. I had hopes that Potter would net a 5th or 6th.

143. The Great One says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 45s

144. Lois Lowe says:

145. RexLibris says:

The Great One: Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 45sI believe Anaheim got two mid-round picks for Fasth from Edmonton… but waiting to confirm that

Edmonton had two (MIN and SJS) 4th rounders.

Perhaps those?

146. The Great One says:

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 36s

Multiple reports says Oilers have acquired G Viktor Fasth from the Anaheim Ducks for 5th round pick in 2014, a 3rd round pick in 2015.

147. Ryan says:

The Great One:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun45s

Why don’t I understand the Viktor Fasth trade?

148. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe: With Bryz out and Fasth injured, does Bachman come up despite the fact that OKC is middle of a playoff race?

If they believe strongly enough in Brossoit then perhaps. There is also Rimmer and nothing stopping OKC from signing or trading for a goalie today.

Then again…they could claim Dubnyk on waivers…

j/k

149. RexLibris says:

Ryan: Why don’t I understand the Viktor Fasth trade?He’s 31, has one more year at $2.5 m and he’s played 30 odd NHL games over the past 2 years.

The Oilers wanted him very badly when he was a FA.

That opinion probably hasn’t changed and now we’ll see what happens when he comes here.

Between Fasth and Scrivens, two well though-of goalies, this puts a lot of pressure on Chabot to show that he is not the weakest link.

150. Pouzar says:

I sure hope MacT has some picks in the bag via trade.

3rd and a 5th for Fasth.

151. FPB94 says:

So, Montreal being in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference, and Markov having played the entirety of his career there, I really don’t see the ”logic” behind that would be deal.

Seems more plausible to me they’re looking at Hemsky and checking out guys to fill in the deal. (Or are simply interested in OKC guys).

They’re already renegotiating a new deal, so I really don’t see how that makes any sense for Montreal.

The Canandiens are already clogged up everywhere and in need of a 2 for 1 deal, also full on defensive prospect so Big Bust Klefbom would be like… 4th on the D prospects chart.

152. The Great One says:

Retweeted by mc79hockey

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 6m
    Sources telling me Ducks making room for Thomas Vanek.

153. Ducey says:

Ryan: Why don’t I understand the Viktor Fasth trade?

He played more than half of ANA games last year with a .921 save %. Was injured most of this year. If he is healthy, he could be a steal.

154. cc says:

The Great One,

Makes sense. The Ducks have incredible prospect depth and I could see Noesen or Silferberg going the other way. Both were former Tim Murray picks.

155. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: I sure hope MacT has some picks in the bag via trade. 3rd and a 5th for Fasth.

The 3rd is 2015, so a deferred cost there.

But they have, by my count, a 1st, two 4ths, a 6th and a 7th.

156. RexLibris says:

Robidas to Anaheim for a 4th.

157. gmac2412 says:

Surprised that there is no other pick coming back from ANA with Fasth. This just reeks of salary dump from their perspective…..

158. The Great One says:

Its Pat McLean lol ‏@blackdogpat 47s

Now that MacT has addressed goaltending just needs top two Dmen, 2nd line C, five bottom sixers, power play #noproblem

159. The Great One says:

cc:
    The Great One,

Makes sense.The Ducks have incredible prospect depth and I could see Noesen or Silferberg going the other way.Both were former Tim Murray picks.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 28s

Islanders are interested in a number of Anaheim’s young players, including Vatanen and Etem.

160. gr8one says:

Lois Lowe:

Fasth has been serving a conditioning stint in Norfolk for the past while, he was due to be recalled today, so I assume he’s healthy and will be coming straight to Edmonton as backup/1B.

Click on the “Player News” tab.

161. russ99 says:

Viktor Fasth is a decent 1B to Scrivens’ 1A. I was just hoping for someone better and more established in the NHL in free agency.

Going with two underrated yet inexperienced goalies at the NHL level is in line with the usual M.O. and what’s been putting our rebuild in line with the Atlanta Thrashers.

IMO, Chabot should be shown the door with all our other assistants in the great cleanout this summer.

Plus, Broissoit is going to have to show me an awful lot at the AHL level before I consider him any more than a huge Oil King over-reach, the usual with this organization.

162. emonkee says:

163. The Great One says:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 1m

Tom Gilbert of the @FlaPanthers becoming a very valuable commodity as he remains unsigned. Has had a very productive season..at 900K bargain

164. crude says:

Scrivz and Fasth, eh?
    Is MacT doing a rebuild from the net out?
    Not a moment too soon.

165. AZOIL says:

The Great One:
    Its Pat McLean lol ‏@blackdogpat47s

Ya, that should be a stroll in the park!

166. cc says:

The Great One,

The beers for lunch threw me for a loop, I forgot Vanek was in NYI. I’m not a fan of Vatanen, but Etem would look good along side Tavares.

167. fifthcartel says:

Fasth/Scrivens seems like a solid tandem without spending great assets on goalies.

168. The Great One says:

cc:
    The Great One,

The beers for lunch threw me for a loop, I forgot Vanek was in NYI.I’m not a fan of Vatanen, but Etem would look good along side Tavares.

They also have Devante Smith-Pelley among others.

169. hoser313 says:

Pouzar: No way!

I want to draft Ekblad then tank for McDavid.

There I said it!

*running away*

That would be one hell of a re-rebuild. Ekblad yes, but I hope this team is not in the McDavid sweepstakes next year. But if the team doesn’t sign a decent 1A goalie in the off-season, doesn’t sign a top 3D, and doesn’t fix the defensive issues on the second line…then…well maybe your point is closer than we would like to hope.

170. The Great One says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m

Fasth is a weird choice for the Oilers. He’s in his 30s, been hurt all year and is relatively expensive. Lots of other goalies available.

171. cc says:

Even if you’re not a fan of MacT being able to pickup two goalies within the division for two 3rd’s and a 5th is pretty damn good, by my drunk eye.

172. RexLibris says:

emonkee: WG, is 2015 a strong draft? Would a 3rd in 2015 and a 5th this year be too steep? Just wondering…

2015 is believed to be deep, but it is far too early to judge the 3rd round.

Back in 2011 Martin Frk was listed as a top five pick at this time of year for the 2012 draft.

He would fall to the middle of the 2nd round.

Personally, I like deferred picks in return as you can generally negotiate a higher pick because of the later payment. And planning ahead is something that GMs ought to do better.

173. The Great One says:

Ed Willes ‏@willesonsports 24s

Hearing Kesler is down to Pitt and Philly

174. RexLibris says:

hoser313,

The Oilers will be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year.

If they miss then they are in the McDavid lottery. Perhaps with only a 0.5% chance, but in nevertheless.

175. The Great One says:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 16s

Certainly looks like @AnaheimDucks are pushing the chips all in….after @StLouisBlues did. Will #hawks #sharks #kings follow?

176. RexLibris says:

The Great One: Ed Willes ‏@willesonsports 24sHearing Kesler is down to Pitt and Philly

Kesler and Philadelphia just seem to go together.

I can almost hear Canucks fans saying “Couturier, Simmonds and their 1st just might not be enough”.

177. Bad Seed says:

Just think, if we got McDavid, we could start the rebuild all over again – with the defencemen progressing in front of the new star…

178. Yeti says:

The Great One:
    Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton916s

Does this make Hemsky increasingly valuable?

179. Hockeyman 99 says:

Bryz out Victor Fasth in

180. Hockeyman 99 says:

Maybe another good move

181. Ducey says:

TSNBobMcKenzie: RT @ryanwhitney6: A little part of @tsnjamesduthie dies every time a trade happens today

182. RexLibris says:

Yeti: Does this make Hemsky increasingly valuable?

I don’t think his value has changed yet.

None of the other forwards in his range have moved yet (Vanek, Moulson, Cammalleri, etc).

Arguably Penner moving for a 4th could be seen to lessen his value.

183. emonkee says:

RexLibris,

Oh ok…letz hope the oilers won’t be as poor next year, coz the 3rd round pick would be something in the early 60s….and yes I know…chances of a 3rd rd pick making significant impacts normally isn’t high…

184. Hockeyman 99 says:

Well I guess its 1A 1B for next year. only 5mil invested in both goalies. not bad hopefully they perform.

185. Pouzar says:

Klefbom will be here. Stauffer dropping the huge hint with ‘Daily Doug’

186. Bag of Pucks says:

Really starting to come around on MacT now.

Aggravated me to no end how this org overlooked the most important position on the team for so long. Was excusable when intentional tanking was the mission, but when you announce you’re competing for a playoff spot and you start the season with Dubnyk as your #1, that was a sure sign of an org that’s lost the plot.

Brossoit in the prospect pool, Scrivens and Fasth in the bigs. That IS solid GM work in a single season.

Especially like MacT targeting a team with substantial depth at the position. Ducks have Hiller and Andersen in the fold and Gibson on the way. Something had to shake loose.

MacT gets it. Awesome.

187. The Great One says:

RexLibris: Kesler and Philadelphia just seem to go together.

Nah.

Based on what I hear, that would be about a perfect return for Kesler.

188. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Klefbom will be here. Stauffer dropping the huge hint with ‘Daily Doug’

By season’s end? Replacing N. Schultz?

This raises the question: does Klefbom have a brother who is on Twitter?

189. icecastles says:

The Great One: Just the fastest way to spread trade news.
    Faster than radio

You mean Fasther.

190. Andy P says:

Signing Fasth and Scrivens, getting something for Bryz, all good work.

I think there is a difference between the brother of an actual Oilers player tweeting insider information, and someone who has no such connection to the Oilers, speculating.

But as so many wisely say now, the incompetence of the assistants, and the core giving up on every coach they did not like, has been on display for a while, just not from someone so close to an actual player.

I cannot imagine MacT being foolish enough not to pitch out the assistants. The question is, does he give Eakins some more rope by allowing him to bring in his own assistants, does he guarantee his failure by making him keep the three musketeers, or does he clean house and bring Todd Nelson up? Todd has done a great job in OKC, he is known and liked by the core, and if we don’t give him an HC job we will likely lose him anyway during the summer. He may also be the only competent coach willing to come to this team of coach killers.

Once the coaching is fixed, then surely we will start seeing the core perform? Or are they so badly broken that 4 and 14 force trades?

191. RexLibris says:

The Great One: Nah.Based on what I hear, that would be about a perfect return for Kesler.

Agreed. Gillis should consider it a job well done and move forward.

192. FPB94 says:

The Great One,

I don’t know why you would do that as the Canucks. Simmonds plays PK too and has been producing at a higher pace than Kesler this season. Couturier is a 20 years old on ,5PPG and playing PK. He’s invaluable.

193. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: By season’s end? Replacing N. Schultz?

This raises the question: does Klefbom have a brother who is on Twitter?

Stauffer was getting really annoyed with Doug RE: Klefbom arrival.

194. Lois Lowe says:

The Great One,

I would imagine Shinkaruk or someone like that would be heading the other way as well.

195. The Great One says:

Yeti: Does this make Hemsky increasingly valuable?

If reports are accurate and the Ducks are going after Vanek, you would think the Kings would respond with either Moulson or Hemsky.

Moulson is much easier to fit under the cap.

Brad Boyes is also being shopped by Florida so Hemsky still has some competition.

196. Clay says:

Anyone else hearing the rumour of Yak and Gagner for Myers and Stewart?

197. The Great One says:

FPB94:

Paul Holmgren.

And don’t forget that Edler may also be involved.

198. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Stauffer was getting really annoyed with Doug RE: Klefbom arrival.He basically hinted it would soon. Like in a day. I am inferring but I would be shocked if he’s not called up tomorrow.

So we’re at two moves now.

Two more for the win!

;)

199. The Great One says:

Lois Lowe:
    The Great One,

Could be a bunch of pieces involved.

200. RexLibris says:

Clay: Anyone else hearing the rumour of Yak and Gagner for Myers and Stewart?

Not if I shut my ears.