STAY IDLE FOR DRAISAITL?

Jim Matheson is treating the “Draisaitl or Ekblad” insider info he’s gotten like my dog treats her favorite toy Hedgehog: he’s chasing it, throwing it down the stairs, jumping on it, treating it like a new arrival and generally having a blast. Either someone from the Oilers said “Jim, we’re taking Draisaitl or Ekblad” or Matheson is now treating his own thoughts as gospel. Jim Matheson has written more stories about Leon Draisaitl than he wrote on Wayne Gretzky in the 1980s. The latest is here.

• Matheson: Unless both players are gone by the time it’s their turn to pick on June 27, the Oilers will sing out the name of Draisaitl or Barrie Colts defenceman Aaron Ekblad.

Jim Matheson knows. He has to. As a Hall of Fame reporter, he would never be reckless enough to make a statement of fact unless he received the information from an impeccable source. We have to assume that one of the highly ranked Edmonton Oilers management people have informed Jim Matheson that Leon Draisaitl or Aaron Ekblad is going to be chosen. The only question left is: are they playing him?

This blog counts down to draft week with about 24 posts in 10 days.  I’ll build that sucker up for weeks and weeks, you’ll be so sick of it by the time draft day comes it’ll come as a relief when you see that harvest moon. Except there’s no need. We’ve been told.

The Edmonton Oilers are going to draft Aaron Ekblad or Leon Draisaitl at the NHL entry draft this summer, unless another team takes them. Full stop. Jim Matheson told us so. I believe him. It’s over. Jim Matheson ruined the draft.

sad dog

Fortunately, Elliotte Friedman has saved the college signing season. In his 30 thoughts, Elliotte said “And Edmonton is apparently looking hard at a defenceman I can’t pin down — yet.” I think it could be one of these men:

Follow the college free agent stories here and here. Don’t ask Matty, though. He already knows!!!!

74 Responses to "STAY IDLE FOR DRAISAITL?"

“He is Oleg, I am Sven” – Flinstones

Given the TOI they’ve given Dfridge Fraser I’m betting on Oleg.

2. regwald says:

Woodguy:
    “He is Oleg, I am Sven” – Flinstones

Given the TOI they’ve given Dfridge Fraser I’m betting on Oleg.

The new first line PP dman of the future. He will break up those PP two on ones like clockwork.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think my allegiance is pretty well known around here.

Just wanted to note that it is awesome that Draisaitl is getting the nice treatment… I wonder how long it lasts.

Also, for the love of Gord, whoever it is… send them back to their billet families with a banana sandwich and a calendar of Barbara Ann Scott pin ups.

No more damn kids.

“Jim, you were a dink to Hemsky and now you are being a dink to Yak”

“Well maybe if you gave me something to write about I wouldn’t be such a dink”

“We really like Ekblad and Daisaitl and you can take that to the bank”

“Thanks!”

5. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    “He is Oleg, I am Sven” – Flinstones

Given the TOI they’ve given Dfridge Fraser I’m betting on Oleg.

I bet he’s good at stopping the cycle.

6. justDOit says:

Oleg Yevenko, U Mass. 6.07, 249!!!!!

That is a lot of mass, isn’t it?

7. justDOit says:

Woodguy:
    “He is Oleg, I am Sven” – Flinstones

Given the TOI they’ve given Dfridge Fraser I’m betting on Oleg.

Not the version I was looking for, but it’s true to the original.

8. russ99 says:

Woodguy:
    Nice post about the value of defensive defensmen.

Good food for thought.

Except this leaves out the best defense metric for defensemen: GAA when on the ice.

Plus it’s inherent in the nature of defensive defensemen to enter the d zone before anyone else and leave last. So they would accumulate more shots against than a puckmover who’s trying to push out of the zone.

Woodguy:
    Nice post about the value of defensive defensmen.

This post dovetails well with this absolute gem from Dave Tippett:

“I’ll give you an example,” he said. “We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

“Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman.”

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2012/04/06/20120406phoenix-coyotes-dave-tippett-perfect-fit.html#ixzz2wvVWK5J4

This is why I’m not including Jultz in any big moves unless its for a Bona Fide (Bona Fide!) #1 RHD (like Subban or Weber)

This guy passes the puck better than any Oiler since Pronger.

If they can teach him to eat the puck instead of the weak backhand up the wall, he could be worth the hype.

Also,

He’s gotta skate like his hair is on fire at least occasionally.

Two on one where the winger missed his assignment for the 8th time in 7 games? Mosey on back to the Dzone.

Only man to keep the puck in on the blue 5v4 and its going up the other side of the boards? Lolleygag back to the Dzone and don’t pick up the 2nd forward hauling ass in the neutral zone.

If they can break Jultz of his moseying and lolleygagging I think he’s something very good.

Coffey used to get pounded by then fans and media for all the two on ones he created.

Absolutely pounded, including Matty and Jones.

He even got pounded in 1985/86 where Coffey finished 3rd in the NHL behind only Gretzky and Lemieux in points with 138pts.

138!!

That’s crazy.

That the year they killed everyone and lost to CAL in the 2nd round to Calgary because the NHL decided you could tackle players coming over the blueline who didn’t have the puck.

Fucking Bob Johnson.

It wasn’t a great day for hockey when he got away with that shit.

Then Steve Smith did what he did in game 7.

Man.

138 points in 79 games and they cried about the 2 on 1′s he created.

I guess they questioned his commitment and culture and other stuff.

russ99,

No, GAA measures the amount of shots multiplied by the save percentage.

They can’t control save percentage (this is well documented)

They can affect shots though.

Both for and against.

A wise man once said “Its what you create minus what you give up”

Need to add up both ends of the ice to get that number.

11. book¡je says:

The departure of Tambellini seems to have opened up the leaks again. I am pretty sure Tambellini’ tight ship was simply because he had no strategy and just made random choices at the moment of the decision.

12. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Let it all out, man.

13. RexLibris says:

book¡je:
    The departure of Tambellini seems to have opened up the leaks again.I am pretty sure Tambellini’ tight ship was simply because he had no strategy and just made random choices at the moment of the decision.

Not sure he made enough moves to qualify for “random”.

Comatose muscle-twitches don’t count.

14. Maverick says:

Finally another German to cheer for in Edmonton! Jochen Hecht was like 12 years ago!

Could have been Tobias Reider, but no, Thanks Mr.Dithers.

If we are wagering on which college defenseman the Oilers will likely sign, I’ll put a wager on Kenney Morrison.
    Here is why: (credit to the people at Hockeysfuture for the article)

Kenney Morrison, D
    Sophomore, Western Michigan University (NCHC)

Following in the footsteps of former teammate Dan DeKeyser (DET) last season, Kenney Morrison has become the hottest defensive commodity available on the college hockey free agent market this season. Numerous NHL teams have Morrison on their collegiate free agent wish list and it’s not hard to see why. Among the teams that could potentially land the coveted young rearguard is the Edmonton Oilers, whose prospect camp Morrison attended this past summer.

The Lloydminster, AB native has played in all 35 of the Broncos’ games to date, posting 18 points (three goals, 15 assists). Morrison logs upwards of 25 minutes per game playing in all situations. He has been especially good on Western Michigan’s power-play, where all of his goals so far have come. Morrison leads the Broncos with 75 penalty minutes and ranks fifth on the team with a +7 rating.

Morrison is an excellent skating, two-way defenseman who is blessed with size (6’2”, 205 lbs.) and great hands. He moves the puck exceedingly well and has greatly improved his decision-making while controlling it. But what has scouts clamoring to get glimpses of him is his pro-style shot. Morrison possesses one of the NCAA’s hardest shots and to say that he has a cannon of a slapshot might be an understatement. One notable attribute that Morrison has shown this season is his ability to employ different types of shots. This has resulted in increased shots on goal, and more importantly, accurate ones.

Two other attributes that scouts like about Morrison are his skating and physicality. He has good foot speed and is active in jumping up into plays. Morrison can deliver some solid checks and has begun to strike a balance between his hard-hitting style and playing with discipline.

Full article at hockeysfuture

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

book¡je:

oh, dear. every time I laugh and laugh

16. David says:

I think the Oilers should take Draisaitl because I want the team to have a great one two punch down the middle and the only way they will be able to aquire another center is through the draft. We have lots of defenseman coming, but there is no way to get a Draisaitl outside of drafting one.

17. Younger Oil says:

I’d be the most interested in van Riemsdyk and Morrison because they are RHD, we need a couple more of those in the system.

18. OilClog says:

I hope they take neither and trade it for something already built and running.

19. frjohnk says:

While Ekblad or Draisaitl are fine prospects and would fill one of the many holes in the oilers line up, it won’t happen next year.

The best thing to do with this years pick, is to trade it for an impact player now. If the value is not there for the pick, then fine draft one of these guys, keep them in junior next year and plan for the McDavid sweepstakes.

The Oilers have to be pretty bad the rest of the way to finish 29th. It is a 10-game stretch of death to finish the season, but still, the Islanders don’t have Tavares, and Florida is only a point ahead.

One shouldn’t be counting chickens before they hatch.

Ekblad or one of the three centres.

And I hope they are not forgetting about that Simpson guy.

Nurse scored again, this time SH goal.

22. Rondo says:

Darnell Nurse 2 goals so far

4-3 SSM

23. Marcus Oilerius says:

Nurse scored again, this time SH goal.

Crazy, not often you see a dman get a shortie! Was it the go-ahead goal?

24. Rondo says:

Beat me to it.

25. Marcus Oilerius says:

godot10:

One shouldn’t be counting chickens before they hatch.

After getting spanked by Buffalo and humiliated by Calgary, I’m confident in their abilities.

Nurse scored again, this time SH goal.

A dman scoring a shortie?

I question the culture in the Soo.

godot10,

The Oilers have to be pretty bad the rest of the way to finish 29th.

Pretty sure they have it in them.

Especially if they keep dressing Fraser.

Hawks sign van Riemsdyk.

29. Vince says:

Dillon Simpson on Marek vs Wyshynski tomorrow.

30. blackdog says:

Scratch TVR, Hawks signed him/

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Hawks sign van Riemsdyk.

crap. Raanta last year, now this. another benefit of being a good team…

Bob Green has his work cut out for him.

32. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Hawks sign van Riemsdyk.

No takers for Taker?

33. Ryan says:

Rofl omg extreme cougar wives on tlc. Anyone seen this?

34. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: oh, dear. every time I laugh and laugh

The tears are rolling down my cheeks.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll start laughing.

35. sliderule says:

Maverick,

I watched the game between michigan and Denver.

Morrison looked great.Cannon of a shot and solid defensively.

This guy is an Alberta kid and if we can’t sign him it’s on management

36. Ryan says:

sliderule:
    Maverick,

I watched the game between michigan and Denver.

Morrison looked great.Cannon of a shot and solid defensively.

This guy is an Alberta kid and if we can’t sign him it’s on management

Yeah, but what’s his PSR? Lol

37. cc says:

The oilers need to take Ekbald, give him a year back in junior unless he’s a stud and proves it in camp. Nurse will play next season helping to shore up the defense (Petry, Marinchin, Klefbom, Nurse and Ference), Schultz is a trade-able option at this point and packaged right could draw a top d-man, maybe.

After Saturday nights performance by Hall, I’m reminded of a comment I heard a couple years back about Hall’s attitude being cancerous in the dressing room. Dare I say, it looks to be materializing before all eyes now. And his comments following…”I’ve been here four years and we’ve (you other guys) have done nothing”, paraphrase mine. Spoiled brats bother me.

Maybe MacT should package Hall with something and trade him to Dallas for the guy we need, Seguin. I’ll take a guy who likes a pop or two over a guy who disses his teammate and coach in front of the world anytime.

38. Kris11 says:

Commence the Arnotting of Taylor Hall.

39. Rondo says:

cc,

If Im Buffalo I would take Ekblad he won’t play next year and Buffalo will probably be the worst team in the NHL. So they take McDavid.

cc:

After Saturday nights performance by Hall, I’m reminded of a comment I heard a couple years back about Hall’s attitude being cancerous in the dressing room.Dare I say, it looks to be materializing before all eyes now.And his comments following…”I’ve been here four years and we’ve (you other guys) have done nothing”, paraphrase mine.Spoiled brats bother me.

The “cancer” dragged the team all the way to 24th when he was let loose last year, 2nd in scoring in the big boy conference, solid relative Corsi against the toughest opponents, and incredible Staples plus/minus.

Hall was leading the Oilers out of the desert, and MacT blew in like a sandstorm obliterating the path out again, and put Eakins and Ference in charge of leading in circles again.

Hall has a track record of winning. MacT has a track record of blah, except for Pronger fallling into his lap.

41. kooler says:

Move Nurse to centre, Larsen, Hunt on wing….new scoring line. I give up.

Still an Oiler fan after leaving the chuk 27 yrs ago…at least non of my Canucks neighbors are bugging me anymore.

Our cycle is just taking a bit longer to come around.

42. sliderule says:

cc,

Come on cc haven’t you watched baseball when they break bats against the dugout wall or throw gloves that almost hit the coach.
    You need passion to achieve in life let alone sport.

43. RexLibris says:

Jim Rutherford stepping down as Hurricanes’ GM at the end of the year?

Let’s start a contest. Which former AB GM gets a GM job first? Tambellini or Feaster?

RexLibris:
    Jim Rutherford stepping down as Hurricanes’ GM at the end of the year?

Feaster, but even then I don’t think he will get one. Francis next GM in Carolina.

45. hunter1909 says:

cc:
    The oilers need to take Ekbald, give him a year back in junior unless he’s a stud and proves it in camp.Nurse will play next season helping to shore up the defense (Petry, Marinchin, Klefbom, Nurse and Ference), Schultz is a trade-able option at this point and packaged right could draw a top d-man, maybe.

Great trolling.

Now. Back to CP.

46. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: A dman scoring a shortie?
    I question the culture in the Soo.

Eakins will cure him of this fast.

47. VOR says:

There are pretty wide spread rumors circulating that the Oilers badly want both Morrison and Bryce Van Brabant (the search for a power forward that intimidates continues) and that shouldn’t come as a surprise since both are local kids and were at the Oilers prospect camp in 2013. Morrison has actually fired a puck straight through the plexiglass during a game and can really move the puck in transition. Van Brabant is considered the hardest hitter and best fore-checker in college hockey and finally has started to produce offence. it looks like in both cases the Oilers biggest competition might be the Flames.

All that said, I will go on the record here and say that the Oilers have a new found fascination with Ahti Oksanen of Boston College. Like Morrison, Oksanen is a big (6’3″ 205) offensive dman with a cannon, a very accurate cannon. Oksanen plays enormous minutes, well over 20 and often over 25 as he puts up a lot of minutes in all 3 disciplines. He is a gifted shot blocker and a bit psycho. His problem has been his skating, always fast, he lacked agility and nimble footwork often being little more than a pylon when playing against elite offensive players. He has worked hard and made massive progress and is now considered a plus skater bordering on elite. I doubt the Oilers are the only team that has noticed though he does play on an awful team so who knows.

48. denny33 says:

Calgary wins in a SO…….

VOR,

That’s Belov’s issue too.

Decent straight ahead skater but can’t pivot with speed for shit.

RexLibris:
    Woodguy,

Let it all out, man.

It felt good.

51. Surly says:

Chase wins it in OT for the Hitmen

Chase. God he’s having a year.

53. VOR says:

woodguy,

I have never seen any defenseman actually overcome the pylon issue. I have to take various scouts word for the fact that Oksanen has succeeded since I have not seen him play in person or on film for that matter. He certainly plays enough minutes that if he was still struggling one would assume the poor agility would be obvious. His emergence as an elite shot blocker, which happened this year, may also be a tell that he has improved his overall skating. I know the Oilers like Finns and all, I just can’t fathom what inducement the Oilers would offer a kid from Finland who has only played hockey in the Eastern US to come to Edmonton, or Oklahoma for that matter. Especially since Oksanen will undoubtedly have multiple offers.

54. sliderule says:

When are you going to spotlight Reinhart.

Goal and 4assists tonite and 3G and 5 assists in 3 games

Nuge never was close to that kind of production in draft year playoffs.

If the oilers make the right pick it could make up for all the pain

55. spoiler says:

Sportsnet Connected’s top 10 tonight will be based on waterbottle-throwing episodes.

Natch.

56. VanOil says:

VOR:
    woodguy,

Jarri could ask nicely. Esa could inform him. Suomi

57. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Rex

Out of those two, yeah, probably. But honestly I’m not sure either one works again.

Francis is a given in Carolina.

I think Nieuwendyk gets the Calgary nod in the summer or nearer the draft. Weisbrod might get a GM gig somewhere out East where he has some connections. Aside from that I think there might be some newer, more interesting bodies around for teams to hire.

Mike Johnston out of Portland is someone I can imagine a team taking a chance on, if they are trying to be innovative but are perhaps just desperate.

Fenton in Nashville is often mentioned.

Poor Tambellini. He did some decent work with Vancouver, but the Oilers job killed him. Should’ve stayed a backup singer rather than try to lead the band.

58. VanOil says:

sliderule:

When are you going to spotlight Reinhart.

Goal and 4assists tonite and 3G and 5 assists in 3 games

Nuge never was close to that kind of production in draft year playoffs.

If the oilers make the right pick it could make up for all the pain

Reinhart is going 1st overall to Buffalo. It is no longer close.

59. RexLibris says:

Chase. God he’s having a year.

What I wouldn’t give to get an answer from MacGregor on the difference of directions he received first under Prendergast, then Tambellini and now MacTavish.

60. RexLibris says:

denny33:
    Calgary wins in a SO…….

And stay close to Ottawa and Carolina in the standings.

My dream of them drafting 8th isn’t quashed just yet…

;)

sliderule:

When are you going to spotlight Reinhart.

Goal and 4assists tonite and 3G and 5 assists in 3 games

Nuge never was close to that kind of production in draft year playoffs.

If the oilers make the right pick it could make up for all the pain

As soon as Matty gets the word!

62. jp says:

Lowetide

I did laugh out lout at this. Spectacular!

63. dangilitis says:

Jordan Oesterle, Western Michigan. 6.0, 185. 34gp, 2-15-17

Effing kidding me.

Having Yakimov and Yakupov, Jordan Eberle, Jordan Oesterle all on the ice will give announcers headacnes. Maybe they can do a 4-forward PP and get Yakubov on there as well.

64. dangilitis says:

I did want to say something about coaching

1) Everyone says axe Kelly and Steve. Sure, I couldn’t give a shit if they fire ‘em.
    2) But if you so passionately want to axe the assistants, then how can you not also be demanding the head coach on a silver platter? The assistants should not be as instrumental to a team’s performance relative to the head coach’s.
    3) Sure, don’t fire the coach if you think he can win.
    4) No evidence gives me confidence that Eakins can win.
    5) If one’s argument is that firing Eakins will lead to a new system being presented to the poor kids, my argument is that Eakins brought in multple diffefent systems any ways – it has been like having a diffferent coach every few months. No stability
    6) Eakins apparently had a good system corsi-wise, and replaced it with subpar one.

65. nycoil says:

So where’s the leak in the Oilers’ organization? Without knowing the draft number, it seems there is no benefit whatsoever to narrowing it down to 2 players as the “want” list.
    Say they pass Florida, then drop a spot in the lottery, wind up 4th. Reinhart and Ekblad off the board, all of a sudden the team in front of Edmonton in 3rd (what if it ends up being Calgary) decides they are going to make like they are taking Leon, forcing MacT to either pay up or “settle” for Bennett. And two years in a row, we watch the Oilers’ coveted centre go to Cowtown in front of us. And I’m not hating on Nurse, nor Bennett. I actually love Bennett’s edge and skill and don’t see him as Nuge clone at all. And I like that he is scoring at will at such a young age compared to say, Draisaitl. The bottom line is why tip your hand?

Edit: sorry, it is Reinhart that people say is similar to Nuge, isn’t it? Apologies.

66. PhrankLee says:

Kris11:
    Commence the Arnotting of Taylor Hall.

Wait! First he needs to get beat up badly by Scott Walker while everyone watches agape. Then we can begin the Arnotting.

67. book¡je says:

Quote from Taylor Hall “I walk a fine line, but we haven’t done a lot in my four years here, and sometimes, that weighs on me,” he said. “Frustration, letting things get to me, they don’t turn out to be productive. I know my overall play will be affected negatively if I have bad body language. I have to tone that down.”

I guess we all owe an apology to all of those commenters who assess players based on body language.

68. DeadmanWaking says:

dangilitis: If one’s argument is that firing Eakins will lead to a new system being presented to the poor kids, my argument is that Eakins brought in multiple different systems any ways – it has been like having a different coach every few months. No stability

That sounds a lot like the first six months of marriage. Many adjustments, no stability. It’s like bedding a different women every two months. Ultimately, divorce is the only way to stop the mayhem. It must be tough for all these young studs who have never been exposed to the fairer sex to cope with all the turmoil of a coach making adjustments on the fly based on how the previous lessons have taken root or failed to thrive.

No, I don’t see it that way. After watching Eakins raw after almost every game for the entire season, I’d pretty much bet my immortal soul that Eakins would score about 1 out of 10 on a personality inventory of proneness to flip-flopping or wishy-washy decision making. Perhaps his wife would disagree. Perhaps his wife wishes she could disagree. I’d wager far more beer on the latter proposition.

I’ve had a long history of back pain. For some reason most prone positions cause my lower back to tighten up. There was a period in my life about ten years ago where I was messing with my bed and bedding almost every week. Eventually I settled on a queen-sized latex mattress, with a smaller visco-elastic topper. I tend to sleep face down, half on and half off the topper pad, with an exact thickness of pillow tucked halfway under my ribs. I went through many pillows until I found the perfect thickness.

This worked pretty good, but small shifts in position between me and my lemon tree were causing the center of the bed to sag slightly, and I would wake up in pain. One day I grabbed a handy Glenlivet bottle (recently deceased) and installed it under the bed to support the center beam. It appeared sturdy enough, but not quite tall enough, so I shimmed it with a copy of Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet.

Many year have passed and I’ve never gone back to affix a permanent fifth leg. The bed works. Now I leave it alone. Sometimes if the bed slides a bit, the bottle falls. I rarely hear it fall, but I notice it missing within a single night. Must be the vacuuming. One wouldn’t think the hardwood suckerhead would push the bed around like that, but what else could it be? An empty Glenlivet bottle doesn’t topple gently into that good night.

I actually went through more than one latex mattress (different densities) and more than one topper pad (also different densities). There was a lot of churn until I dialed it in. One thing I can say in retrospect is that Glenlivet bottles are a lot sturdier than they look. If it hasn’t cracked by now, it’s not going to. These old bones have cast aside some of those rough landings. Extremely rough landings.

I have a beer buddy I haven’t seen for a long time. We’ve been playing the middle-aged beer-buddy can kick. How about Wednesday? Nah, got a meeting with the school. How about Thursday the following week? Nah, I’ll be working late. You know you’ve arrived at beer-gut apogee when you spend more time kicking the can than tipping one.

When you’re truly young, the only difference between the bedroom and any other room is that you’re already naked. The very first sign of old age is when you designate a room, if not literally, just subconsciously; if not a room, at least a drawer.

Before we watched Paris, Texas we revisited Something Wild. I recalled this as a somewhat B movie with plenty of A-grade scenes. It was interesting to watch this again after fifteen years. For some reason, I barely hardly recalled a single scene or plot element after the handcuff adventure. One can speculate about this lacunae. My lemon tree certainly did. That’s not actually it–I feebly insisted–though this movie pre-dated “the drawer” by many years. The reason–as it seems to me–is that he never asks her a direct question about her past, or her behaviour, or her desires for the rest of the movie. Something wild, with a lot of personal baggage, and no paperwork whatsoever.

She had more hair colours than our Swami has swarms. In the space of three days.

Brenda: Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh UH! Now wait a minute, hold up! How come when anytime this scary shit happens, and we should stick together, you white people always say “let’s split up”?

I think this happens in one of the Alien movies. They’re all trapped inside a tin can with the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (experiencing a teenage growth spurt) so they split up into individual morsels.

You go “yeah, that’s exactly what people do in that situation” and your critical eyeballs roll up into your eye sockets and your brain goes into popcorn mode, and years later when you watch the movie again, the entire second-half is a complete surprise. I don’t recall any of this? How could that be?

For a long while I’ve been meaning to say something about Meg Ryan. First of all, I’ve only seen that movie once, and if I watched it again, I’m pretty sure I can still remember many scenes after “I’ll have what she’s having.” I’m pretty sure.

What’s pertinent here is the histrionic standard of evidence. Loud noises are easily faked. That’s what I found so interesting about the scene. The Billy Crystal character is basically busted on buying into the masculine perspective that cacophony confirms quality.

This is silly. Unfeigned feminine transport is about as subtle as jamming an EpiPen into a woman’s parasympathetic nervous system: every sweat gland, capillary, and skin cell goes for a shimmy. I think if a man can’t manage to read the fine print on the parasympathetic shimmy, he’s far too preoccupied with the upright sturdiness of the single-malt stud. It could topple or shatter at any moment. Better not notice anything else.

All this negativity about Eakins is way too Billy Crystal for my liking. We know why this crew isn’t making any noise. Woodguy is all over it. Too many holes.

At this point in the season, what Eakins is accomplishing or not accomplishing isn’t necessarily bleatingly obvious to sleepless patrons three rooms down the hallway.

The technical term for disturbance of the peace is “female copulatory vocalization”. I read a whole book about this recently: Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan. It’s an oddly smug little book, covering a lot of ground I’ve covered before. He’s trying to take a peg out of monogamy.

The only passage that raised my eyebrows was the one where some enterprising glassware technician managed to sequester the three to nine slugs of male copulatory triumph into separate vials. Fast hands, or some kind of test tube pan-flute and a steady eye, and more than a few laboratory iterations. Labour of love.

Turns out there’s a chemical progression. First into the breach are sappers equipped with chemical wire cutters. It’s a hostile environment. Next wave contains the Speedos. Then, the stubby laggards dragging fresh coils of wire. Finally, the coach’s chalkboard. It’s all explicitly diagrammed–all 300 million pass routes.

That was the big surprise. There was also a small eye-opener on FCV.

Primate research indicates that vocalizations in baboons vary depending on how close the females were to ovulation. A possible interpretation is that the females vocalize to announce sexual availability and fertility to males other than the one with whom she was copulating—and an invitation to engage in sperm competition.

Yes, that perfectly explains why human males are so depressed when the cry doesn’t raise the roof. In the flush of success, what we want more than anything else in the world is for dozens of other males to arrive with beer and potato chips to line up and await their turn. Cecilia, you’re breaking my heart, but at least we never run out of beer and chips.

The calls also carried information about the status of the male with whom she was copulating, thus presumably allowing other males to assess their likelihood of mating with the female.

“Oh! Ooh! Ohh! You’re the best, you’re the biggest, you’re the baddest.”

Now that’s more like it. Apparently, however, the hue and cry of the human female is not this nuanced, though I don’t know whether any cetacean specialists have been consulted, so I don’t regard this assessment as definitive.

Geek with hydrophones: Sssssh! Yellow submarine.

Other geek: High status?

[Attentive silence.]

Geek with hydrophones: Bond. James Bond. I’d recognize that hullabaloo anywhere.

Now we just need to work out the semiotics of curled toes. Clearly they’re a concealed display strictly for the benefit of attentive onlookers–it’s all about communicating with everyone other than the male of the moment.

Seriously, I don’t know whether the Fenwick is all that nuanced either, that it modulates coaching prowess unmistakably, half as much as we’d like it to.

69. Halfwise says:

DeadmanWaking,

I don’t always attend to every paragraph in your postings. But this one had me from start to finish.

70. elgruntus says:

DMW…….don’t ever change. :)

71. Jordan says:

DeadmanWaking,

That was a thoroughly fun and entertaining meander DMW. It’s a little disconcerting that you made female orgasms such an effective metaphor for what ails our Oilers, but you certainly deserve credit for pulling it off. Kudos.

And if that little teaser doesn’t get the rest of you to both going back up and reading his entire post, I don’t know what will! =P

72. highgloveside says:

If MacT is smart,we won’t be making any first round picks. This team needs a player that can help them right away, not one that might make a difference in 3 to 4 years. The 1st rounder needs to be packaged up for a proven NHL veteran that fills the top 2 pairing void

73. Shredder says:

Woodguy,

I disagree. SV% is the number of saves a goalie makes over the number of shots…if you break it down mathematically. But here’s a scenario…a shot is made, a rebound ensues, and then:

A) Pavelski shoots the rebound into the net
    B) Defensive Dman throws Pavelski to the ice and the rebound goes into the corner

In instance A), there is an additional shot and goal anchoring the SV% down and adding to all the other stats. In instance B) the only stat recorded is maybe a hit that the defensive dman made, however it ultimately saved the goal, and kept the goalies’ SV% higher than in instance A)…

There is value beyond statistics.