Jim Matheson is treating the “Draisaitl or Ekblad” insider info he’s gotten like my dog treats her favorite toy Hedgehog: he’s chasing it, throwing it down the stairs, jumping on it, treating it like a new arrival and generally having a blast. Either someone from the Oilers said “Jim, we’re taking Draisaitl or Ekblad” or Matheson is now treating his own thoughts as gospel. Jim Matheson has written more stories about Leon Draisaitl than he wrote on Wayne Gretzky in the 1980s. The latest is here.
- Matheson: Unless both players are gone by the time it’s their turn to pick on June 27, the Oilers will sing out the name of Draisaitl or Barrie Colts defenceman Aaron Ekblad.
Jim Matheson knows. He has to. As a Hall of Fame reporter, he would never be reckless enough to make a statement of fact unless he received the information from an impeccable source. We have to assume that one of the highly ranked Edmonton Oilers management people have informed Jim Matheson that Leon Draisaitl or Aaron Ekblad is going to be chosen. The only question left is: are they playing him?
This blog counts down to draft week with about 24 posts in 10 days. I’ll build that sucker up for weeks and weeks, you’ll be so sick of it by the time draft day comes it’ll come as a relief when you see that harvest moon. Except there’s no need. We’ve been told.
The Edmonton Oilers are going to draft Aaron Ekblad or Leon Draisaitl at the NHL entry draft this summer, unless another team takes them. Full stop. Jim Matheson told us so. I believe him. It’s over. Jim Matheson ruined the draft.
Fortunately, Elliotte Friedman has saved the college signing season. In his 30 thoughts, Elliotte said “And Edmonton is apparently looking hard at a defenceman I can’t pin down — yet.” I think it could be one of these men:
- Trevor van Riemsdyk, New Hampshire. 6.02, 185. 26gp, 4-19-23.
- Shayne Taker, Notre Dame. 6.04, 207. 38gp, 4-15-19.
- Oleg Yevenko, U Mass. 6.07, 249!!!!! 32gp, 0-1-1
- Jordan Oesterle, Western Michigan. 6.0, 185. 34gp, 2-15-17
- Kenney Morrison, Western Michigan. 6.02, 205 40gp, 4-15-19
- Mat Bodie, Union. 6.0, 165. 34gp, 4-25-29.