THE ETERNAL KANSAS CITY

The CHL and NCAA seasons are coming to an end, and the KHL schedule is over next week. We’ll have plenty of time to look through the prospects and identify those who have clearly stepped up, but it’s probably time for a quick progress review.

1. D Darnell Nurse: I had him #1 after the draft and in the winter edition. He is 62GP, 12-36-48 for the season, meaning he’s healthy and playing a lot. His offense faded as the season wore on (after starting 18, 6-14-20 he’s gone 44, 6-22-28) but a lot of his value is defensive. We’ll have to wait and see what happens at the draft, but he remains the most valuable prospect in the system.
  2. D Oscar Klefbom: Number 2 in winter, suspect he’ll fall down the list in the summer. Injuries are becoming a larger issue with Oscar, and at this point I think we can begin to wonder if he’s going to have a Rick Ley-Carlo Colaiacovo career.
  3. C Marco Roy: Ranked him third in the winter when he was ripping up the Q (8, 2-11-13) but injuries have impacted him and Roy is 27, 9-8-17 since. He’s playing again and scoring at about a point-per-game pace, but that just keeps him running in place. Roy is a 1994 birthdate, you’d want him dominating by now. The injuries have had a big impact, and his first post-draft season reminds me of Pouliot.
  4. D Martin Marincin: The star of this year’s prospect group, he got a cup of coffee and then stayed for the entire meal. Marincin gives Oiler fans hope for the future, because if he can come in and play this well (make no mistake, he’s been gold) then it’s possible for Klefbom or another to do the same. It’s very important we remember the recipe: draft, two years in junior, more than one AHL season. Rinse, repeat. Klefbom should be ready next November or so, if he can stay healthy and we follow those timelines.
  5. C Jujhar Khaira: He plays in a very tight defensive system in Everett, so we have to filter the results. However, his boxcars (54, 16-23-39) are well off the pace of others on the list. He started the year 12, 3-5-8 and is 42, 13-18-31 since, so there’s slight progress. I’ll look deeper into his special teams numbers (compared to others) during the spring, but 7 of his 16 goals are PP (implying he spends time there).
  6. C Bogdan Yakimov: He began the season like a house on fire (27, 5-5-10) but hasn’t played much in the KHL since November (6, 2-0-2). He’s done well in the MHL and looked very good at the WJ’s. He reminds me of Peter Mahovlich, that’s a compliment.
  7. D Anton Belov. He’s been playing in front of me all season and I still can’t make a decision on him. I really like Belov’s play when he’s effective, but there are real and present dangers in his game. I don’t know if it’s foot speed or his ability to turn, but he ends up being the defenseman most likely to miss a beat and be taken out of the play (well, along with Mark Fraser since his arrival). I don’t know.
  8. D Dillon Simpson: The young man just keeps matriculating towards success. I’m really looking forward to seeing him at training camp in the fall and he’s a complete wild card. Jeff Petry didn’t take a helluva long time to get to the NHL, and Simpson’s a quick study. Began the season 11, 1-5-6 and is 22, 6-9-15 since then. Genetics. Who knew?
  9. D Martin Gernat: I nicked him this year because of a fairly slow start (8, 0-3-3 and he spent time in the ECHL). Since then he’s 36, 3-12-15 and playing a regular shift in the AHL. The progress of Marincin is exciting when viewing Gernat, because they’re similar players. Gernat was a 5th round selection and has some chaos to his game (and Martin doesn’t always apply himself based on what we read) but there does seem to be a player here. A nice season.
  10. C Greg Chase: Well hell boys and girls this one’s a big fly (that means home run). Chase was taken in the 7th round of the 2013 draft and leads all CHL players in points. He’s truculent, a pain in the ass and has skill. Started the season 23, 14-11-25 and is 43, 18-34-52 since. A wonderful young player. I’d pay money to know how much pp time he gets, and we’ll have a big look at his ev/pp/pk splits later in the spring. This guy has 22 EV goals—Eberle had 20 in the season after he was drafted.
  11. L Mitch Moroz: A strong final season in junior got him his pro contract and maybe a spring fling in Oklahoma territory. Began the season 24, 16-8-24 and is43, 18-20-38 since. It’ll be very interesting to see where the place him in the minors next season.
  12. C Mark Arcobello: The young C has done everything in his power to show the Oilers he is worthy of a roster spot. He’s currently laying waste to the AHL, and I can’t believe the other 29 teams haven’t noticed. He’s UFA at the end of the season, the ball is in the Oilers court.
  13. D Taylor Fedun: Similar story to Arcobello. Everyone who reports from OKC suggests Fedun is the best defenseman on the farm, yet he has played in only four games with Edmonton this season. I don’t think he’ll make it to the NHL as a regular with the Oilers.
  14. D David Musil: The skating issues continue to be a part of the conversation, but he’s played much better than some expected as an AHL rookie. I think the Oilers look at him more long term—he’s slotted correctly on this list—but he also plays the defensive game well. That’s a unique item in the Oilers system.
  15. R Tyler Pitlick: A good season for Pitlick, he finally made it to the NHL and looked good. I expect he could be recalled before the season is over. Began his AHL season 7, 1-2-3 and is 27, 7-10-17 since. Pitlick is 3, 1-0-1 in the NHL.
  16. R John McCarron: The big man started very well (13, 3-12-15) but has fallen off since (15, 4-3-7). I still think they sign him, and he might play a large role in OKC next season. Reminds me of Colin McDonald.
  17. L Anton Slepyshev: He looked brilliant at the WJ’s, and started his KHL season 25, 3-3-6. Slepy is 11, 0-2-2 since and doesn’t seem to be getting the same level of playing time compared to a year ago. I believe he has one more year on his contract, wonder if the Oilers are pondering bringing him and Yakimov over at the same time.
  18. L Luke Gazdic: Oilers had three picks in the 2007 first round, and they’re going to get more out of a Dallas depth pick from that year than anyone but Gagner. Gazdic’s skill level confines him to 4line and means his outer marker is Zach Stortini (who was a better player), but the organization values this player-type and Gazdic’s success (they’ll sign him soon) means fans won’t see Cam Abney taken in the third round anytime soon. That has value.
  19. D Erik Gustafsson: A fascinating prospect and I do hope the Oilers sign him and bring the man over. Began the SHL season 30, 0-13-13 and then went 12, 2-4-6 after that on the way to a good year in Sweden’s best league. Shoots left, which may be important.
  20. R Jackson Houck: He began the year very well (33, 17-11-28) and is 31, 13-15-28 since. I have Houck, Chase and Moroz as a trio moving forward, idea being Edmonton is looking for a player who can play with skill while also winning battles and showing physical play. Moroz is bigger than the other two, but Chase and Houck are better hockey players.

The entire look at the organization from winter is here.

sse photo

Our guests today include Paul Reinhart, goaltending coach Eli Wilson and Jonas Siegel from TSN 1050 in Toronto. We’ll also talk trade deadline and look forward to the big games tonight in the NHL.

90 Responses to "THE ETERNAL KANSAS CITY"

1. KSC10032 says:

Khaira seems the biggest “IF” here.

By all reports, he’s big and he can skate, two nice things to have in the toolbox. Sometimes that equals J. F. Jacques though.

In his favour, big and fast guys usually get @ 25 “second chances”.

BTW — I’d still have Arcobello here, as the 13th forward, if nothing else.

2. icecastles says:

I thought the marker for prospects on these lists was 50 GP, but Gadzooks is at 56 already so perhaps I’m wrong.

I’m utterly flabbergasted at how Arco is not full-time on the Oilers roster. Is it really a matter as simple as bias against small guys? Older prospects?

I always cling to the beleif that managers in elite organizations are smart guys, but things like this make me wonder.

3. RexLibris says:

On Arcobello – I think the Oilers have him as the back-pocket option if they can move Gagner. He’s the fallback position.

Ideally, I think they look at the issue first in that they keep him for another year or move him at the draft. If the former, then they either play Arcobello (assuming he re-signs) or pursue a UFA 2C. If they fail in both their intentions listed formerly above, then it might be Arcobello.

That makes him fallback option number two.

Based on MacTavish’s loyalty and willingness to change over virtually any part of the roster, I think he moves Gagner and then goes big-game hunting for Stastny in the summer.

If Gagner brought in Gardiner and the Oilers had to settle on Marcel Goc for a season or two while their drafted C from 2014 goes back to junior, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

4. RexLibris says:

The thing I noticed from watching Yakimov at the WJCs is that I don’t know that his real value can be shown in boxcars. I suspect if he were playing in the NHL he’d be in the Boyd Gordon line of things – great value as a shutdown center who does all the things well that make coaches sleep easily.

If the Oilers walk on Curtis Hamilton then I think they give his position and ice time to Moroz. The fly in the ointment is Jesse Joensuu. If he gets sent down at the end of TC then there are a backlog of bodies on the LW and I suspect Joensuu would do well enough at the AHL level (and clear waivers) that Nelson would play him ahead of Moroz.

5. RexLibris says:

Looking at the D, can we assume a graduation timeline (for an NHL look-see, not necessarily a hit and stick with the club) to go Marincin – Klefbom – Nurse – Simpson – Musil – Gernat – Gustafsson?

I think Fedun walks this summer, and if so best of luck to him.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Chase was taken in the 7th round of the 2013 draft and leads all CHL players in points.”

Either this is simply wrong, or you’ve worded it strangely. Can you elaborate what you mean?

He isn’t even leading the WHL in scoring.

A couple notes Gazdic won’t make the summer list but this is a review of the winter list. Also Chase leads Oiler prospects in points in the chl

8. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: He isn’t even leading the WHL in scoring.

18th in the WHL for points, 27th for goals.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ah… I thought it was something like that… I figured that or draft year class.

This guy has 22 EV goals—Eberle had 20 in the season after he was drafted.

Wow.

Since he was born Jan 1/95, he’s not eligible for the AHL next year.

He’ll start his 4th full season in the WHL as a 19 year old.

Hope like hell he doesn’t regress.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

from last thread:

RexLibris: I like Draisaitl. His size is nice, but I’ve seen this team fall for size before (Hulbig, Isbister, Daze) and lose sight of the big picture, so naturally I have reservations this early.
    Also, I’d like some confirmation on his playing C, as opposed to LW as is listed elsewhere, and that being translatable to the NHL. Pitlick was drafted as a C but his game is obviously suited to RW.

Draisaitl is a C. That’s all he plays in the Dub and how he sees himself:

here’s a puff piece from earlier

him describing himself:

“”I think I’m a playmaking center with good vision,” Draisaitl told NHL.com. “I like to make good passes but can finish as well.”

———
    the thing about his size is that while he is big, he’s not overly aggressive. The worry over chasing meat-packers is with players like Ritchie, big wingers.

Draisaitl is more akin to Kopitar. Big, but without a lot of nasty.

12. WeirsBeard says:

Chase is still my pick to Brodziak an Oiler training camp.

Willis is saying Klefbom and Lander called up to the big club?

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

from last thread:

Wes Mantooth-11: I guess I should clarify my original post, of “moaning about reporting to JR” I never took that as a shot at Grigerenko, it was more of an aside comment to an incident that occurred about the player.

Having said that, I feel with the defense & defensive prospects Buffalo already has, the BPA option would be Reinhart, possible making Grigerenko expendable.

Like I said, nothing to back that up with, just a hunch the Sabers may move in a different direction.

I got a bit ornery on this last night. I take your clarification.

BUF could want to move on, but I’m not sure why. Grig’s value isn’t very big right now. Keeping the asset and getting him and the new GM on the same page is the best way forward, looks like that’s what they are doing.

mumbai max: Well, actually i think they did. They are well paid public figures. If he had chosen a career at Canadian Tire, he could have moaned or not moaned about the subjects of his choice, and we would not have noticed. Comes with the territory, if we/they like it or not.

Couldn’t disagree more.

14. RexLibris says:

Lander and Klefbom recalled, as per Willis.

That’s two of four recalls.

Poor Arcobello, but here’s hoping Lander sees the ice for more than five minutes.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

from last thread:

Pouzar:
    I don’t why and I don’t any real rational reasons for feeling this way but Leon Draisaitl scares the living crap out of me in a bad way. I hear things like he’s big and doesn’t use his size or isn’t over physical and he doesn’t compete as hard all the time etc.

Now this is just stuff I HEAR. Not my scouting report. IMO we have too many Flat Liner personalities on this team especially in the high end talent area. At times it seems they are a tad too comfy with losing. It’s why I want Bennett if Ekblad and Reinhart are gone.

I need the Leon Draisaitl guys to talk me off the ledge!

He’s not crazy aggressive no. But don’t believe the hype that he’s some perimeter player or something. here’s a recent hat trick. first goal… drives the net.

And, I’ll just keep posting this. Kopitar’s scouting report:

Assets: Has terrific hands, creativity, shiftiness, skating ability and the potential for great plays every time he’s on the ice. Owns the size all NHL teams crave from the center position. Is responsible in his own end.

Flaws: Is not a physical player, despite his massive frame. Must continue to work on his offensive consistency, something he’s counted on for. Could stand to become a little more assertive on offense.

Career Potential: Mega talented scoring center with upside.

now, we don’t know how he’ll turn out. But, I want a possession player. If that player is also aggressive, fine. But I could care less about aggression for its own sake. And, I seriously question the ability of some scouts to make the distinction.

16. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve seen him listed as C, and I think we discussed this earlier with you putting my fears (temporarily) aside.

So, thanks again. ;)

I’ve heard the Kopitar comparison as well, and it seems a fair one. Having a C with size doesn’t mean he has to use it proactively, but it can allow him greater leeway in getting past defensemen or force them to take a penalty to haul him down. It doesn’t have to be aggressive. Also, what we see in junior may not be what he becomes in adulthood, so there is that.

In a draft four deep, I’d be alright with the Oilers picking 4th…one ahead of the Flames.

17. Ryan says:

RexLibris:
    Lander and Klefbom recalled, as per Willis.

That’s two of four recalls.

Isn’t it zero of four?

18. Bar_Qu says:

RexLibris,

Actually the Oilers twitter feed says emergency recall, which means they should still have the 4 regular recalls left (can’t copy tweet, stupid phone).

19. AZOIL says:

How do these 3 C’s all compare in height and weight right now? Reinhart, Bennett, and Draisatl?

20. jp says:

RexLibris:
    Lander and Klefbom recalled, as per Willis.

That’s two of four recalls.

Sounds like they’re emergency recalls, so they may not count against the remaining 4 (not sure why they’d be listed as emergency otherwise). According to McCurdy the other day Larsen was the 1st of those 4 recalls (http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/03/06/roster-re-visited-streamlined-edmonton-oilers-enter-stretch-drive-with-ahl-options-maximized/). So 3 left I think.

Will be nice to see Klefbom get a taste, and Lander hopefully get a chance to play above the 4th line (Joensuu’s spot??).

Arco and Fedun deserve recalls as well, but Lander and Klefbom would have been my picks too. They’re more likely to be part of the teams future.

21. Bushed says:

A modern Pete Mahovlich as our 2C?

Bring it on!!! Big, tough, durable, and end-to-end rushes. Everything Snowpants can’t do.

You’re going to get me drinking the Oilers koolaid again, LT.

Looking forward to seeing Klef play.

Baptism by fire slotting in against the Kings.

I hope they play Lander with better players than Gazdic, Jones and Jonesuu.

Won’t find out a goddam thing about him if you play him with scrubs.

I wonder who’ll take the pipe among the forwards so that Lander is an “emergency recall”

Don’t remember anyone getting hurt against NYI.

Also,

Wouldn’t Larsen also be an emergency recall for Belov?

He was recalled after Nick was traded and Potter was claimed, so EDM only had 5 Dmen at the time.

24. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Draisaitl is more akin to Kopitar.

Minus the creepy zombie eyes.

25. jp says:

Woodguy:

I hope they play Lander with better players than Gazdic, Jones and Jonesuu.

Won’t find out a goddam thing about him if you play him with scrubs.

I’m hoping to see Lander-Gordon-Hendricks. Agreed that playing him 4th line would be pointless and the shutdown line should be in his wheelhouse. Hopefully Eakins agrees…

Woodguy:

Wouldn’t Larsen also be an emergency recall for Belov?

Seems sensible, but I’m just going off what McCurdy said.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 5m
    Either 5 or 6. Lean to 5. RT @StynkyFlyGuy: @coreypronman Where would you have ranked Ekblad if he was in last years draft class?

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

AZOIL:

vitals included:

28. Clay says:

Woodguy:

Don’t remember anyone getting hurt against NYI.

Also,

Wouldn’t Larsen also be an emergency recall for Belov?

I believe you’re correct about Larsen.

I too am interested to see if there is a forward “injured”, or if Lander counts as recall #1.

Maybe Smitty hurt his awesome scoring that PPG?

29. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman5m

30. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Brock Otten of OHL Prospects was asked to compare Nurse and Ekblad

He basically said Nurse has a higher upside and higher downside.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Does that mean Eklbad is less than Jones but better than Nurse at this stage in his development?

Jones’ better scoring, esp. at Evens.

32. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Yes.

Jones’ better scoring, esp. at Evens.

I’ve no issue with that, then.

Jones has been compared to Weber, so who would we consider an established defenseman one step down from Weber? Keith? Would fans turn their noses up at drafting a player like Duncan Keith because he isn’t as good as a player like Weber?

Okay, they might, but that is beside the point.. ;)

33. gcw_rocks says:

Not an inspiring group of prospects. At least we can be amused by the Zykov vs the oilers masses race.

34. RexLibris says:

Dear Oilers,

Please inquire about this young man.

Sincerely,

Me.

35. russ99 says:

Re: Draisatl – IMO he’s a fit here, in that he’s more a playmaker and doesn’t use his size, he can learn that going forward, a grinder can’t learn how to see the ice and make plays. Plus we have nobody like him anywhere in the system.

Besides, I’m very much against this idea that our 2nd line center has to be a defensive specialist/faceoff winner. Our offense is already stifled, we need players who can create offense.

It would be odd to fighting that for years trying to dump Horcoff just to get another Horcoff.

I hope MacT can separate between what Eakins wants and what’s best for the roster…

36. G Money says:

Not too fussed about the draft, assuming the Oilers are picking top 5. It means they will get one of:
    Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, or Dal Colle.

Long term, either top pairing D or 2C handled.

Due to the relative risk of picking D early, I actually hope for one of the C.

Once picked, MacT’s job will then be to trade for/sign enough NHL FA D to stay above water until the new C, Nurse and Klefbom get here. Hopefully some of the new signings will be part of the long-term future too.

Per LT’s previous thread, a Chase/Houck/Moroz (and hopefully Khaira) group gives some measure of hope for a big upgrade in the bottom 6 in the next few years.

37. TheOtherJohn says:

We will be fortunate if we get 100 GP out of Chase, Houck, Moroz cumulatively

I hope Klefbom plays. he’d be the 40th player from the 2011 draft

TheOtherJohn:
    We will be fortunate if we get 100 GP out of Chase, Houck, Moroz cumulatively

Historically that’s correct

40. wheatnoil says:

I hope Klefbom plays. he’d be the 40th player from the 2011 draft

And the 12th Defensemen if I counted correctly… I’m not sure how that compares to other years, but that sounds like a pretty impressive draft year, 3 years out.

Edit: A quick comparison to the 2010 draft year does show that it’s pretty impressive. The 2010 draft class only has 13 D that have played an NHL game.

41. Lois Lowe says:

Hemsky is flying alongside Spezza this afternoon. He’s made two or three brilliant passes already.

42. fifthcartel says:

2 assists already for Hemsky after one period.

43. Lucinius says:

So, on the Oilers Hemsky struggled to get powerplay time, having been relegated to the second unit that often didn’t see nearly as much time as the first unit (who like to stay out for long periods)… on Ottawa, which has the best road powerplay in the league, Hemsky is immediately put into the top powerplay unit and looks good there.

44. The Great One says:

3A for Hemsky.

Lucinius:

One thing about the gifted kids is that a lot of their ice time was gifted to them.

Also,

Gregor confirmed that Larsen counted as one of the four call ups since trading N.Shultz and losing Potter to waivers doesn’t constitute and emergency.

Belov was hurt before the deadline.

I asked Gregor to look into this yesterday so I think he has the goods.

46. elgruntus says:

Lots of Hemsky love from PJ and Healy at the break. Made me throw up a little. Hypocrites!

47. book¡je says:

The Great One:
    3A for Hemsky.

Where does that put the bet?

48. Pajamah says:

Lucinius,

Are we shocked?

Lesser blogs were 50/50 on getting rid of him for nothing. Most people here understood that the Oilers would be giving up a VERY good player, and for scrap. Hemsky for the balance of his career will make us very aware of what we got for him, and the likelihood of that 3 and 5 round picks evening out over time is very low.

49. book¡je says:

Pajamah:
    Lucinius,

Are we shocked?

I disagree. The problem exposed isn’t the trade (reasonable value for a rental this year), rather it exposes how this team has misnanaged it’s players.

50. The Great One says:

book¡je: Where does that put the bet?

Brown- 69

Hemsky – 58

51. Lucinius says:

CBC is full of idiots. Hemsky has a shitty shot? Since when? His wrist shot is very quick and accurate. He just isn’t a shooter. Then the colour guy complains he doesn’t take a shot after a goal gets scored, and it took a really good defensive play for his pass to not connect anyways.

Idiots.

52. The Great One says:

Now 4A for Hemsky.

53. Glock9 says:

The Great One:
    Now 4A for Hemsky.

The Great One: Brown- 69

Hemsky – 58

Your MATH IS WRONG!

55. Numenius says:

4 assists for Hemsky. Wow.

56. VanOil says:

Odds and Sods;
    New Florida Center Pirri asked in a interview what type of player he thought he was answered “I want to be a possession player” Music from a kid that lead the AHL in scoring last year.

Soo (as reported in the last thread) had Nurse tracking Corsi by hand in the pressbox last night. A wonderful way to keep the player in the pressbox engaged and learning about the impact of possession.

Added together it seams player development is putting an emphasis on possession and breading Corgi monsters.

On a completely different tact.

Rom and other Draisatl boosters fail to mention is; it is not his size nor the cut of his jib that makes the German Cowboy a ideal future Oiler. It is the size of his Paddle that is important.

The kid uses a Ryan Smyth blade. It is massive and flat. You can make it out for you self if watch the goal celebration Rom linked to above. I maybe in a cult of one that feels that he plays with a blade like Smyty metric is a indicator of future success but I stand by it. If you can score 100pts in Jr with a canoe paddle you are a player.

57. The Great One says:

Lowetide: Your MATH IS WRONG!

In the 2 seasons since, Hemsky has scored 50 points (including today’s game) while Brown has scored 50 points.

4 assists

2 5v5
    2 5v4

59. ashley says:

The Great One:
    Now 4A for Hemsky.

No big deal. I mean, he was getting old anyway for our team. Eakins had him on the third line, but he was well on his way to the fourth line at his age. I’m not sure why OTT is playing a 3/4RW on the first line.

Young and inexperienced is how you build a team. With Hemsky gone, now we get a chance to give more ice time to all the youth in the AHL. It’s a small window of opportunity before they get demoted to aging 3rd liners then get traded.

Lucinius:

Krueger’s 2nd PP unit of Hemsky, Smyth, Yakupov, Gagner, and Whitney outproduced the first unit in the 2nd have of last season. But Eakins didn’t bother to watch any of last years Oiler video.

Horcoff was sort of the glue player on the 1st unit, for draws and net presence. Gordon could probably do that, but again Eakins didn’t bother to watch the video.

And it seems Bucky and Smith don’t bother to tell the guy what worked last year.

61. icecastles says:

GLOCK9: Yup, Doesnt matter who we draft or otherwise acquire, it all means nothing until we get an NHL caliber coach….,..imo

I bet under a *real* coach, Luke Gadzic would be a 30-goal scorer and Nick Schultz would have been a Norris candidate.

62. Numenius says:

icecastles: Yeah, damn this constant stream of unknown nobodies with no track record coaching the team. I mean, who the hell is “Pat Quinn” or “Tom Renney”? I mean, what have those guys ever won? Had they even coached in the NHL before? Clearly, the problem is coaching.

Hey, don’t put words in my mouth. That wasn’t me!

63. Snowman says:

I’m thinking if Ottawa makes the playoffs and Hemsky keeps rolling with Spezza for the remainder and he’ll sign there. He’ll put up 60-70 points for Ottawa next year. Hemsky and Spezza will be scary. Very scary.

64. icecastles says:

Numenius,

No idea how that happened! Blog glitch. Fixed now.

65. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris:
    Dear Oilers,

Please inquire about this young man.

Sincerely,

Me.

They can inquire about him but hi is not worth a our 2014 or 2015 1st rounder. Maybe worth a Gagner but no more. If Gardiner can’t play everyday on make belief land he isn’t worth it.

66. Numenius says:

icecastles,

Thanks.

67. Gerta Rauss says:

Petry update among other items including audio/video

His back is much better this morning..we may have to wait a little longer to see Klefbom

68. VanOil says:

Hemsky looked fast on the Oilers. On the Senators ~ Rocket Skates. Wow.

69. VanOil says:

Kelfbom can’t play because Petry is ready to go because Fraser and Larson are too good to be scratched?

70. Lucinius says:

I’d rather see the Barons make a strong push for the playoffs than keep calling up Barons for a cup of coffee on a shitty NHL team.

71. icecastles says:

VanOil: Hemsky looked fast on the Oilers. On the Senators ~ Rocket Skates. Wow.

Hemsky and MacT both said the losing had gotten to him and he was ready for a fresh start. Love to see it reinvigorate him and remotivate him. Both this and the 2-goal game against the Senators reminded us that Hemsky had more to give than he had been giving, and it had likely been that way for some time.

We can bitch about his use on the 3rd line and 2nd unit PP all we like, but he wasn’t really tearing it up anymore as an Oiler: I’m thrilled to see him with something to play for again and some genuine drive. Sad for the Oilers, but very glad for 83. Never cared much either way about the Sens, but I’ll be cheering like hell for them now.

72. Lois Lowe says:

VanOil,

He was an emergency recall, so he did not count as one of the 3 remaining call ups for the year. If they keep him now, they keep him for the duration of the season.

73. VanOil says:

Lois Lowe:
    VanOil,

Good point I was letting my love for Fraser cloud my judgement. Fraser is a Tank Commander and we are in a Tank Battle. Kelfboms day will come as long as he does not pull his Pubis on the way to the airport.

74. FPB94 says:

I can’t figure what grants Klefbom such a high rank. Maybe it only speaks of overvaluation because the Oilers are so depleted in the department.

He’s been subpar in the SEL, Subpar in the AHL and he’s often injured . Other than his high draft rank I don’t see anything there.

To me Gernat and Marincin are clearly ahead.

75. PaperDesigner says:

FPB94:

To me Gernat and Marincin are clearly ahead.

By what measurement has he been subpar? He’s garnered consistently positive reports all along. Are you referring to his lack of offensive production? That only shows that he is not Justin Schultz.

FPB94:

To me Gernat and Marincin are clearly ahead.

No one who has watched him daily has called him sub par.

77. jp says:

russ99:

The only issues with Horcoff were his age and salary. No disagreement with your broader point, but a 26 year old Horcoff making 3.5M per year would fit just fine on the Oilers 2nd line.

78. OilClog says:

MacT will use Hemsky as his last sell low around the league right.. Right!!?!

Go Sens

79. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

The Great One: After the trade deadline in 2011/12 when the bet was made, Brown outscored Hemsky 19-9.

At the time Woodguy bet against the current momentum of the Kings and Brown. The big topic at the time was comparables and value for Hemsky’s new 2 year contract. A less risky bet on only those 2 years looks even better with the 20/20 view.

FPB94:

To me Gernat and Marincin are clearly ahead.

Once Klefbom gets the North American game figured out and stays healthy, he a superior defender to anyone the Oilers have in their organization. Not much offense. But he can defend.

Offense isn’t everything.

OilClog:
    MacT will use Hemsky as his last sell low around the league right.. Right!!?!

Go Sens

Eakins is still coach. So not very likely.

82. FPB94 says:

godot10,

Well he wasn’t exactly stellar in the SEL either. If all he’s looking to become is some version of Ladi Smid it’s not that exciting.

Purely defensive guys with injury issues are there by the dozen in the AHL.

83. steveb12344 says:

FPB94,

Going back to 2004, here’s a list of the Defensive All-stars at the WJHC’s:

2004: Sami Lepisto, Dion Phaneuf.

2005: Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Suter

2006: Luc Bourdon, Jack Johnson

2007:Kris Letang,Erik Johnson

2008:Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman

2009:Erik Karlson, P.K. Subban

2010:Alex Pietrangelo, John Carlson

2011:Ryan Ellis, Dimitri Orlov

2012:Brandon Gormley, Oscar Klefbom

2013:Jocob Trouba, Jake McCabe

Some pretty good company there.

84. FPB94 says:

steveb12344,

Most of these guys have major offensive upside and showed it before the WJC.

FPB94:
    steveb12344,

Most of these guys have major offensive upside and showed it before the WJC.

The Oilers have D with offensive upside…Schultz, Gernat, Nurse. The Oilers have D with all-around skills, Petry, Marincin, Simpson, Nurse here too probably. Klefbom is the only D they have with potentially elite defending skills (say a la a Rod Langway, Kevin Lowe, Rick Green, Jim Schonfeld).

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ashley: No big deal.I mean, he was getting old anyway for our team.Eakins had him on the third line, but he was well on his way to the fourth line at his age.I’m not sure why OTT is playing a 3/4RW on the first line.

Young and inexperienced is how you build a team.With Hemsky gone, now we get a chance to give more ice time to all the youth in the AHL.It’s a small window of opportunity before they get demoted to aging 3rd liners then gettraded.

hahahaha

awesome.

Go Hemmer Go!

87. FPB94 says:

godot10,

”One needs an elite defender with mobility to play with Justin Schultz or Gernat. A defender without mobility is not going to be able to cover, when Schultz or Gernat goes a wandering.”

I know that hence my comment suggesting Klefbom’s value is inflated because of the Oilers’ situation.

Simply put: I don’t think Klefbom can’t be valuable to the Oilers, I’m just saying his high end expectation is a guy that isn’t that valuable market wise. These kinda guys get traded for less than 1st round picks every now and then.

88. gr8one says:

Woodguy:
    4 assists

2 5v5
    2 5v4

Just keep stabbing me in the heart.

89. Lynas1 says:

Woodguy,

Agree completely. They’ve bunged landers chances from day one.