THE PARDUBICE PRINCE AND THE NOT VERY GOOD, VERY VERY BAD DAY

He arrived as a skinny teenage boy, and leaves us today a man. Ales Hemsky is the most beautiful, least understood Oiler of his generation—an icon’s talent with a pauper’s memories. It is the saddest damn thing.

KEVIN PRENDERGAST ON HIS FAVORITE DRAFT PICK

• “Our staff works as a team and whomever the player is that we take we’re taking him as a team and there might be three or four scouts who don’t like the player but the other nine guys on staff do like him. My first pick was Ales Hemsky, and you certainly want him to play and I’m yearning for him to be a success and so far I think Ales is going to be.” -Kevin Prendergast to Guy Flaming, HF interview, August 15, 2003.

yost hemskyI don’t know where Hemsky is going—hell, maybe they’ll sign him later today—but San Jose is ideal and Ottawa fits but after last night’s game I don’t know if they’re buying. The Rangers keep getting mentioned and the Penguins have confirmed their interest.

• Larry Brooks Sather — seeking depth on defense, and who isn’t? — has had conversations with the Oilers regarding rental winger Ales Hemsky, but the Rangers, who were first offered Hemsky during early-season inquiries about Nail Yakupov, are reluctant to yield the second-round draft pick sought by Edmonton.

Looks like it could come down to what happens with Callahan in NYC.

IMPROVED RECORD

mact common 5On December 27, the Oilers were 39GP, 12-24-3. In the 24 games since, Edmonton is 9-10-5. In their last 10: 6-2-2. The Corgi’s are still barking and the power play is mule stubborn, but the goaltending has been sublime. It won’t work long term, but it’s been a nice 10-game run in the results department.

• MacTavish: “If we had an opportunity to do something that I thought was fair and legitimate we would have done it today but we’re going to be pushed to the deadline tomorrow. when that happens there’s a certain amount of risk at stake but right now we’re prepared to take the risk rather than settle for what’s been offered so far. I think, from talking to quite a few of my colleagues, that this is fairly standard practice right now.”

I believe the Oilers will move Hemsky, Nick Schultz and Ryan Smyth today. In my wildest dreams they would re-sign Hemsky and Smyth today, but if is for children.

MacTavish is satisfied with his goaltending, and it’s interesting to look back one year ago to the Ben Bishop deadline. Edmonton was very interested in the big goalie but lost out to a seemingly mediocre deal offered by Tampa Bay. One year later, the season lost, MacTavish added and signed Ben Scrivens and then traded yesterday for Viktor Fasth.

There’s 100 miles of difference between Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish. The turnover in net is a clear indication.

YESTERDAY

• scrivens11MacT: We have two really good options next year. It’ll be a competitive position as it always is. Driving into the office (Tuesday), I thought if we could stabilize it for next year and check that box off. That was my objective going in.”

He also mentioned Richard Bachman (doing well in the AHL) and Laurent Brossoit (the future). The two NHL goaltenders and Brossoit are the major items in the Oiler goaltending arsenal. I think the NHL bets are solid, and Brossoit is dominant in the ECHL. We’ll see if he can cut it in the AHL (likely) beginning next season.

AND TODAY

Ryan Smyth.

TRADE DEADLINE VALUE TABLE

• Ales Hemsky: First-round draft pick (or a second and a fourth).
  • Nick Schultz: A third round pick.
  • Ryan Smyth: A fourth round pick.
  • Corey Potter: A fourth round pick.
  • Anton Belov: A fourth round pick.
  • Ilya Bryzgalov: A fourth round pick. **correctly predicted value**
  • Jesse Joensuu: A fourth round pick.
  • Taylor Fedun: A fourth round pick.
  • Mark Fraser: A fourth round pick.
  • Luke Gazdic: A fifth round pick.
  • Ryan Jones: A sixth round pick.
  • Denis Grebeshkov: A seventh round pick.
  • Ben Eager: A seventh round pick.

There may be some movement too among the minor league players, depending on how big these deals get today. Montreal was following OKC around all week and are apparently hot to unload Rene Bourque (can’t imagine why!) which may bring in Corey Potter or similar into the equation.

SAMWISE

gagner8

There hasn’t been a lot of talk about Gagner leading up to the deadline, but there’s a pulse after last night. He played well to my eye, and had his passing ability on full display. I doubt he’ll be dealt, but wanted to mention just in case.

TODAY, ALL WILL BE REVEALED

JONES111This morning at 10 on TSN 1260, Dave Jamieson will host a four hour special at the deadline. I’ll be part of a panel that includes Jason Strudwick, Jason Gregor, Guy Flaming and a cast of several. We’re devoting a lot of effort in order to bring you an Oiler focused deadline and will of course cover all of the big deals. Please ignore your work and listen!!!

421 Responses to "THE PARDUBICE PRINCE AND THE NOT VERY GOOD, VERY VERY BAD DAY"

« Older Comments
  1. book¡je says:

WG & D.S.F

Hemsky 20 games to go
    Brown 19 games to go

Hemsky needs 14 more points than Brown.

I think he can do it!

2. Rebilled says:

NOT VERY GOOD, VERY VERY BAD.

3. The Great One says:

book¡je:
    WG & D.S.F

Hemsky 20 games to go
    Brown 19 games to go

Hemsky needs 14 more points than Brown.

I think he can do it!

Bet?

Brown just got Gaborik as a new winger.

Although Hemsky should be playing with Spezza.

4. VanOil says:

RexLibris: Actually, I might try a Gagner and Klefbom for Reinhart and Nelson.

Based on Klefbom’s near-catastrophic injury history and what we know about how this affects blueliner development (think Doug Lynch) we might be best to take the risk now rather than waiting.

Your trade is fairer than mine but I might make it. Kelfbom’s sick note is getting crazy.

5. The Great One says:

Tim Thomas should love it in Dallas.

In Texas, it’s legal to carry a loaded handgun in your pads.

6. Rondo says:

Listening to MacT regarding Hemsky felt like a PR job.

Going on about the increase demand on Hemsky after last nights game. You ate half his salary and got a 3rd and 5th. Huge demand.

7. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

The Great One:
    Tim Thomas should love it in Dallas.

In Texas, it’s legal to carry a loaded handgun in your pads.

Why leave it to the league to deal with goaltender interference?

8. FastOil says:

Rondo:
    Listening to MacTregarding Hemskyfelt like a PR job.

Going on about the increase demandon Hemsky after last nights game. You ate half his salary and got a 3rd and 5th.Huge demand.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they had no idea what a pick’s odds are. MacT does seem to be aware that more picks are better after last year, but I bet he doesn’t know how quickly the chances of success drop off.

9. RBB says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

Keep the god damned league out of the creases!
    I’ve had enough of these ‘creases that are taking my hard earned money and wasting it on silly projects like trapezoidal bull shit and regulating the size of goalie pads.
    LET THE FREE MARKET DECIDE

10. su_dhillon says:

I feel like All Oiler fans have been saying ” man this team has been a tire fire since the 06 run, when will it end?”
    Meanwhile Oiler mgmt is like ” Whoa look at that fire! Lets throw some tires on it and see if that helps”
    And on it goes…….

11. icecastles says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: Why leave it to the league to deal with goaltender interference?

He should be fine packing heat as long as he avoids the headshots.

12. icecastles says:

su_dhillon: At the end of the day I just feel so discouraged, that this team could devalue a player of Hemsky’s ability to this extent is horrendous. The fact that the Flames got more today than the Oilers did is just embarrassing.

I’m at a complete loss as to why people are so confounded by how markets work. this isn’t complicated international trade. This is basic “if-you’ve-ever-bought-or-sold-anything-in-your-life” level logic.

You can’t sell something for more than someone is willing to pay. Ever. Anywhere.

And if he wasn’t going to resign in the summer, the choice becomes getting not very much versus getting nothing at all.

13. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

icecastles: So you’re saying MacT should have taken the first rounder offered to him for Hemsky instead? Yeah how silly that he didn’t take that. I’m trying to remember which team it was that offered the first round pick for Hemsky… maybe you can remind me.

14. spoiler says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: 29 fan bases: Why didn’t my *%#$& gm get the 2nd rounder the flames got for a rental UFA .897 goalie? Presumably there was more than one bidder close to that level of pay. Can anyone shed light on that valuation?

Everything you need to know is in Icecastles’ post. That and Berra was an RFA not a UFA.

15. delooper says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: Why leave it to the league to deal with goaltender interference?

Would “stand your ground” laws apply defending oneself from a bodycheck?

16. RexLibris says:

Berra getting a 2nd rounder is surprising.

Stempniak getting a 3rd rounder seems like an anachronism, the rest of the league was shopping in 2014 prices and yet he seemed to fetch 2012 value. Curious.

But that Burke didn’t move Cammalleri is perhaps a very poor choice.

He may come back for another year, but just as with Hemsky, it is unlikely his value at next year’s deadline will go up to off set the delay in accruing assets and development.

If Hemsky was worth a 3rd and a 5th then Cammalleri ought to have been worth just as much. And Burke could have deferred the pick until 2015, a draft year believed to be somewhat deeper.

Yet in the end he does nothing and the value of the asset is lost.

17. Caramel Obvious says:

su_dhillon:

Meanwhile Oiler mgmt is like ” Whoa look at that fire!Lets throw some tires on it and see if that helps”
    And on it goes…….

This is the coppernblue narrative. The Oilers somehow “devalued” Hemsky by giving him tough minutes. Of course, if these tough minutes had been given to someone else these very same pseudo-geniuses would have criticized that, just the same.

It’s a classic case of a bad faith argument. The coppernblue (Reynolds, Zona, dawgbone,) boys know of no other kind.

18. BONVIE says:

I’m trying to buy tickets to take my two boys to the LA game on Sunday through ticketmaster and it says there is none available. Is this possible ? I haven’t bought tickets in about 15 years, but I could always get tickets for any game back then with exceptions being Mtl and Toronto even when they were in the playoffs. Now they are an absolute dreadful team to watch even on Television, I thought I would have lots of tickets to pick from.

Anybody have any ideas for me. Is ticketmaster and their automated system screwing up, or do these games actually sell out almost a week ahead?

19. Marcus Oilerius says:

Anybody else going to watch the Sens-Flames matchup to see how Hemsky does?

20. BONVIE says:

I’m watching it on TV right now.

21. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

spoiler: Everything you need to know is in Icecastles’ post.That and Berra was an RFA not a UFA.

Capgeek expiry status for the 1 yr contract says ufa for the 27 year rookie. Source for RFA?

« Older Comments