TREBLE KLEF KING

I have a feeling that Oilers Nation will one day glory in defensive prowess the way other teams applaud beautiful passing and lightning speed. When you’re deprived of something for so long, its arrival sometimes inspires adoration. In this way, Edmonton’s next truly effective defenseman could be this generation’s Gretzky. Incredible.

Last night, I saw Martin Marincin good. REAL good. He’s a wonderful young hockey player, miles from his physical maturity but possessing such rich raw material that good results are compiling at impressive rates. Music!! Manna! Marvelous!

Oscar Klefbom is also showing signs of the game slowing down for him. This is wonderful news. I’m not saying he’ll be on the opening night roster next season—I think the better plan is to send him to the minors and call him up as needed in 2014-15—but he’s showing some good signs. Mobile, good passer, does a lot of little things well and he can cover gaps in a heartbeat.

Last night, the Oilers got killed by the Corgi’s, but there are signs of hope in the areas that need to be addressed. Bring on the blueline Gretzky!!! We wish to welcome our king!!!

Saturday Sports Extra hits at noon, TSN 1260. We’ll talk to Noah Love from the National Post, Tim Adams from Free Footie dot com, Darrin Bauming from tsn Winnipeg and Jeff Hauser from Radio Hauser (NFL). Almeida’s on holidays, Connor and I will set the tone for a Saturday where the nation will drink itself into a tizzy if the Leafs lose.

Or win.

114 Responses to "TREBLE KLEF KING"

1. nqmt says:

LT, i didn’t know it was possible for a 6’4 D man to skate that fast when he tracked back against Getzlaf

2. admiralmark says:

I have to wonder. Does the emergence of these two players coupled with the soon to arrive Nurse sway this years Oiler draft Team need from Ekblad over to Draisitl, Reinhart, and Bennet? I assume that if Ekblad is there he will be considered BPA but in light of where this team is at. Wouldn’t an approach of drafting the best Center available coupled with trading for or signing a UFA top pairing D make more sense? Ar we at the point where this is considered?

3. thejonrmcleod says:

It would be ironic if in three years the strength of the Oilers is their defense.
    _____

Wrapping this up from the previous thread…

Last night, Spector gloated on Twitter: “There was a lot of noise about contracts and term when Oilers acquired Hendricks. Not hearing a peep anymore. This guy’s a gamer.”

I replied: “I seem to remember someone calling Cam Barker a top-pairing defenseman.”

His response: “Urban legend. never happened.”

Technically, Spector is correct. Here is a quote from his January 11, 2012 article: “This season, the Oilers are on pace for 266 man games lost to injury. Against New Jersey, they were missing their top two scoring forwards, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (shoulder) and Jordan Eberle (knee), and their best three defencemen: Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert and Cam Barker (all ankles).” Keep in mind that Smid, Petry, and Sutton were all on that 2011-12 Oilers team.

Mysteriously (conveniently?), this article had been removed from sportsnet.ca. But thanks to the Way Back Machine (thanks to whoever suggested this), I was able to retrieve it. There are a few other gems in it as well, such as “UFA signing Ben Eager’s numbers aren’t great, but this team sure gets pushed around less than it used to.”

So my point stands: Mark Spector should not gloat when it comes to hockey player evaluations.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The number that frustrates/scares me from last night is EVTOI per D.

Belov, playing limited minutes, in a sheltered role, with Marincin IIRC (so, all things that help pad stats), still managed to put up the best corgi number on the D.

No way he’s the best on the team, but from what I saw last night and what the numbers tell me, he’s the best option on this team right now for #6 duty by a considerable margin over Larsen, Fedun, Grebs, Fraser (and I like Fedun and Larsen).

He’s not mobile, but he can make a damn pass out of the zone and he’s not scared of the puck.

Limited to 10.5 EVTOI… Eakins doesn’t like him at all. Compare that to Fraser’s last ten games

major minutes. When Larsen plays, he plays major minutes too.

It’s possible this was a “break him back into the rhythm of the game” thing and his TOI will go up to around 14-15. but, I wouldn’t be surprised if Eakins puts Fraser back in.

ps. I don’t have a problem tanking, but I don’t think that is what Eakins is thinking and I like Belov as a re-sign for 6-7 spot next year.

5. cahill says:

The Oilers have a good pipeline of defenseman. When he was younger I thought he projected similar to Kronwall (DET), but injuries happened and the offense never came. He still looks like he could be a top 4 shutdown defenseman. And is reminding me more like like Tallinder, he could be a good one.

LT,

A question, a couple of days ago you mentioned Anisimov as # 2 center target. Anisimov is a guy that I think would be great beside Yakupov, he’s Russian, defensively responsible and has good size. He’s a guy I think could be available but I’m not sure what the framework for a deal would be. Not sure what you see going the other way.

CC

6. commonfan14 says:

If they do draft Ekblad, an Oilers career path for Dillon Simpson gets tougher to see:

Ekblad-Nurse
    Marincin-Petry
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Ference

nqmt:

That was great to watch. Marincin has fixed any skating issues he’s had (if any)

I also remember watching Getzlaf coming down the left wing and a Dman pinning him, grabbing the puck and skating it out of danger. When the Dman turned around and I saw his number I was very pleased that it was Klef.

Pinning and taking the puck from Getzlaf is no mean feat.

I mentioned in a previous thread that Klef has looked very rookie at times (because he is) due to decision making process more than ability to make a play.

As LT mentions, as the game slows down for him his decision making will catch up with his ability to make the play.

Might be a could good young D here.

I agree that its best if MacT adds enough D that Klef starts the year as first call up from the AHL.

8th Dmen on the team usually end up with more total TOI than 3rd and 4th line regulars at the end of the season.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod,

There’s so much to pester Specter about, it’s not worth doing research to prove a point. He says something ridiculous every time his opens his mouth or desktop.

Also… his joke about Bunz last night (that Gene had the good sense to cover for) was tasteless as fuck.

cahill:
    The Oilers have a good pipeline of defenseman.When he was younger I thought he projected similar to Kronwall (DET), but injuries happened and the offense never came.He still looks like he could be a top 4 shutdown defenseman.And is reminding me more like like Tallinder, he could be a good one.

LT,

A question, a couple of days ago you mentioned Anisimov as # 2 center target.Anisimov is a guy that I think would be great beside Yakupov, he’s Russian, defensively responsible and has good size. He’s a guy I think could be available but I’m not sure what the framework for a deal would be.Not sure what you see going the other way.

CC

10. thejonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I must have missed the Bunz joke.

commonfan14:

Ekblad-Nurse
    Marincin-Petry
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Ference

Simpson will need at least a year in the AHL.

Then Ference will be in year 3 of a 4 year deal and if he’s not the best option, so be it.

Also,

Because I’m fairly obsessive about LD-RD I’ll re-do your pairings:

Nurse-Ekblad
    Marincin-Petry
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Ference

Lowetide: I chose Anisimov for two reasons. One, Howson connection. Two, the Jackets have needs, won’t trade Johansen but might deal Anisimov. I suspect they’re going to be looking for some goals off the wing.

I noticed in your post you didn’t trade away a winger to get Anisimov though.

Only guy missing was Gagner and I don’t think you get Anisimov for him or a package including Gagner.

I could be wrong.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Random question… what’s the deal with Burmistrov again?

What do you all think the cost would be to acquire his NHL rights and do you think he’s come back to play?

Could be an interesting market leverage move…

admiralmark:

All of that is true.

If they don’t see Ekblad as much better than Nurse (some don’t) then it behooves them to start filling the dark void that is C prospects.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    thejonrmcleod,

I missed the joke.

Drinking and driving or concussion joke?

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The number that frustrates/scares me from last night is EVTOI per D.

major minutes. When Larsen plays, he plays major minutes too.

First game back after a long layoff and you worry about the player’s stamina.

Especially when the same player had stamina issues previous in the season.

I wouldn’t read too much into it.

17. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

…or I’ll guess throat injury/choking joke.

18. Caramel Obvious says:

I thought Belov looked pretty good as well.

But the real take away was how dominant Getzlaf and Perry are. Holy Cow.

Also Anaheim D, especially Beauchemin, are fantastic at holding the blueline. The Oilers need a healthy dose of that.

I also think Eakins has to keep the trio together. All season I’ve thought that splitting them up wasn’t a bad idea because this team can’t win if they are a one line team. But Hopkins, and Eberle especially, are so much better with Hall than without that I think you have to take the synergies where you can get them.

That means Gagner and Perron have to find a way to be a good line. Perron is obviously carrying his water … so much depends on Gagner.

19. Ducey says:

commonfan14:

Ekblad-Nurse
    Marincin-Petry
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Ference

Not really. Ference has just 3 years left. Practically, that’s just 2.5 yrs until the trade deadline. Petry might get paid and then get passed by all the youngsters. Ditto Schultz.

Injuries and trades happen.

If Simpson is good, they will find a spot for him.

We are a ways away from worrying about having too many Dmen.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I must have missed the Bunz joke.

He was talking about Scrivens battling to save a puck or two in the 2nd intermission and said something about him doing it all while on his “buns” (he emphasized the word strongly and punctuated it with a dramatic pause)…

It struck me as a shot at Bunz. Gene stepped in and said “and we, of course, wish him well” Specter just grinned inanely.

The Oilers most probable draft position (over 50% in either case) if they finish 29th or 28th is 3rd.

Ekblad is not probable at this point. One of the centres is more probable, about 2 to 1 odds at this point. Ekbad should go top 2. D are hard to find.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: First game back after a long layoff and you worry about the player’s stamina.

Especially when the same player had stamina issues previous in the season.

I wouldn’t read too much into it.

I know, I’ve allowed for that. Still, there’s a track record here. We’ll know Sunday.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I should add on Bunz… Specter’s smarmy attitude is what ticked me off. he has plausible deniability here.

It’s not like he said anything overt. I’m not trying to raise the pitchforks here. Just noting that nearly everything he says pisses me off.

Also, he blocked me on twitter, though I don’t recall tweeting shit at him.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Carter Baum ‏@CarterBaum 14m
    Mark Arcobello (upper), Roman Horak (lower) and Kale Kessy (upper) all absent from the #OKCBarons big trip to Charlotte this weekend.

god, if they win this weekend series it will be a miracle.

Ducey,

We are a ways away from worrying about having too many Dmen.

Truth.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Todd Nelson ‏@Barons_Coach 1h
    A bit late but want to say congrats to Oscar Klefbom on his first NHL goal. #morecomingsoon

Nelson is such a dad to these kids.

———–

Jim Byers ‏@jim_the_lip 32m
    Frans Tuohimma is one of 3 #okcbarons goalies in the pregame skate. Big one tonight in Charlotte. pic.twitter.com/9O3BSueRdM

Frans has arrived. wonder if he gets a game in. probably if they lose the both this weekend (that would kill PO hopes)

Romulus Apotheosis:

Also, he blocked me on twitter, though I don’t recall tweeting shit at him.

I tweeted a link to Eakins’ beat down of Spector regarding hitting.

Spector blocked me and a number of people who re-tweeted it.

Might have been then.

28. DeadmanWaking says:

Caramel Obvious: But Hopkins, and Eberle especially, are so much better with Hall than without that I think you have to take the synergies where you can get them.

DeadmanWaking: No, you take them when you need them, and force them to figure out how to play elsewise when garbage time grows a parking lot larger than the WEM.

This. All day.

30. Andy P says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Also, he blocked me on twitter, though I don’t recall tweeting shit at him.

You do enjoy lengthy debates, Rom. Spector likely does not :)

Edit: Or, it’s because Woodguy…..

31. Caramel Obvious says:

Yeah, I guess I agree with this.

32. Ducey says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Also, he blocked me on twitter, though I don’t recall tweeting shit at him.

There is nothing wrong with raising the pitchforks at the media here. A guy like Spector started at the Gateway, was doing the Esks desk for a while and has no particular expertise in hockey (or writing for that matter). Half his job is to say controversial things to illicit a response.

You could take him, Gregor, Jones, and Brownlee and flush them all. We would be better off for it. Bruce, LT and Willis write circles around those idiots.

33. Andy P says:

Ducey,

What about Staples?

34. Chris says:

So the list of gaping holes in the roster are likely 2nd line centre, third line checking winger and one top pairing defender eh?

I suposed Gagner could find Jesus in a bottle and return to form filing the second line hole. That jaw injury undoubtedly did a number on him. Maricin has been a relevation and has saved us from likely needing two top four dmen. The goaltending has been fixed which is nice.

After that we’re talking about perhaps needing a sixth defenseman and 4th liners. It really doesn’t seem insurmountable. What will be interesting is whether after we can no longer blame the roster, whether Dallas Eakins can coach it.

35. Chris says:

Spector successfully made me like Bob Stauffer more just by comparison.

36. Ducey says:

I tripped over some stats at the AHL website.

OKC has the 3rd best PP but the 29th best PK.

Some have suggested Nelson is a great coach. There may be mitigating factors like a lack of vet defensemen but the second worst PK is a bit of a warning sign.

37. Evilas says:

It drives me crazy that Eakins continues to send out the 4th line vs the opponent’s 1st AT HOME!!!!!!

I will repost my proposed line-up for next year, because I posted it late, but it makes sense and even more so after last night:

At the draft Trade Eberle + Schultz for Coburn and Couturier +2nd Rounder
    Trade Gagner for Dubinsky
    Sign Moulson (would 3yrs @ 7mil do it?)
    Sign Winnick (2 yrs 2.2mil)
    Sign Gilbert (2 yr contract 3mil)
    Sign Hainsey (2 yr contract 2.5 mi)
    Sign Frolin (hopefully MacT’s ties will make this a reality)
    Re-sign Petry (4×4.25mil)
    Re-sign Smyth (1x 2mil)
    Re-sign Belov

1. Hall – RNH – Moulson
    2. Perron – Dubinsky – Yak
    3. Winnick – Couturier – Pitlick (dude is so unlucky – might have to audition other kids, Chase?)
    4. Smyth – Gordon – Hendricks
    Lander (Swiss, er Swedish Army Knife)

1. Coburn – Gilbert
    2. Marincin – Petry
    3.Ferrence – Hainsey
    4.Belov – Frolin
    Klefbom-Simpson

Draft Eckblad (I doubt he will be available at #3), Nurse back to OHL
    I would love to see these two as a World Jr Pair

Frolin might move up the depth chart, Simpson could surprise. The key is to sign as much effective veteran depth, improve C depth and size and D depth and size. It does not address everything perfectly and there will be some overpays, but it sets up the roster for a playoff run.

I think Ebs has already reached his ceiling with this club (his 2nd yr), and Schultz will never be a physical force/effective defender which will be needed on the current roster. Sell high….

I think Couturier will be an untouchable in 2 yrs, so the time to try and get him is now. There is enough skill and potential to build this roster without having to grab more skill and potential from this year’s draft.

Comments?

38. Ducey says:

Andy P:
    Ducey,

What about Staples?

I don’t agree with half of what he says, and his math is usually wrong, but he at least tries to do some analysis. The old school guys just pull up a stool and start blabbering.

39. Chris says:

Evilas:

At the draft Trade Eberle + Schultz for Coburn and Couturier +2nd Rounder
    Trade Gagner for Dubinsky
    Sign Moulson (would 3yrs @ 7mil do it?)
    Sign Winnick (2 yrs 2.2mil)
    Sign Gilbert (2 yr contract 3mil)
    Sign Hainsey (2 yr contract 2.5 mi)
    Sign Frolin (hopefully MacT’s ties will make this a reality)
    Re-sign Petry (4×4.25mil)
    Re-sign Smyth (1x 2mil)
    Re-sign Belov

1. Hall – RNH – Moulson
    2. Perron – Dubinsky – Yak
    4. Smyth – Gordon – Hendricks
    Lander (Swiss, er Swedish Army Knife)

1. Coburn – Gilbert
    2. Marincin – Petry
    3.Ferrence – Hainsey
    4.Belov – Frolin
    Klefbom-Simpson

Draft Eckblad (I doubt he will be available at #3), Nurse back to OHL
    I would love to see these two as a World Jr Pair

Frolin might move up the depth chart, Simpson could surprise.The key is to sign as much effective veteran depth, improve C depth and size and D depth and size.It does address everything perfectly and there will be some overpays, but it sets up the roster for a playoff run.

I think Ebs has already reached his ceiling with this club (his 2nd yr), and Schultz will never be a physical force/effective defender which will be needed on the current roster.Sell high….

I think Couturier will be an untouchable in 2 yrs, so the time to try and get him is now.There is enough skill and potential to build this roster without having to grab more skill and potential from this year’s draft.

Comments?

You realize there is a salary cap right? You have a seven million dollar 4th line. That won’t work.

40. commonfan14 says:

Woodguy:
    Ducey,

We are a ways away from worrying about having too many Dmen.

Truth.

Totally agree, and just hope Simpson himself sees it that way. Heard him on Marek vs Wish the other day and liked the cut of his jib.

The org seems to like him a ton, so hopefully they can convince him he’s more a part of the plan than a future Ference replacement as 7D.

41. Hammers says:

Enjoyable game last night but not only for the score . Klef & Marincin proving they will be part of our “D” this time next year at the latest . Hendricks showing a level of leadership I wish more players had . Hall working the boards . RNH & Ebs basically showing Eakins who should be there other winger . Belov in 10 minutes being better than Fraser even though his missed a month or more . Lander playing any position his asked and at the least being defensively sound . As for the draft if we pick 4th trade the pick and possibility is there that it will be 4th.

42. art vandelay says:

Ducey: I don’t agree with half of what he says, and his math is usually wrong, but he at least tries to do some analysis.The old school guys just pull up a stool and start blabbering.

I shake my head at Oiler fan.

43. Evilas says:

Chris,

Consider this a “Bold Plan”.

You could call the 3rd line the 4th line (4.85 mil)……My thought is that they would be interchangeable, allowing the old balls to not be gassed come playoff time…..

Honestly, I feel that your point is the kind of thinking that will keep this team at the bottom of the league. The vet players on these short-term contracts will enable the prospects to season, so this will not handcuff the team for years to come. The core group needs to learn how to win. Once they do, this would hopefully enable the team to sustain their success for a decade+ as the expensive vets are gradually replaced by capable prospect depth in all positions.

Also a $7mill 4th line is a better option than paying the 35yr old oft-injured Markov $8 mil for 2 yrs.

This is the kind of move that puts this team in a position to get into the the playoffs. They need vet stability and for this team that is worth it’s weight in gold. For this team it would seem an overpay is required to get what is needed to put them over the hump.

*Also, I send Jonessu to the AHL.
    I would also offer Arco a 2-way deal, but cut loose the remaining free agents.
    I would do away with a tough guy, team toughness should be focused on, rather than wasting a roster spot on Gazdic. This team needs hockey players, the more, the better.

And I do realize there is a salary cap – I crunched the numbers. This brings the Payroll to just under $68mil. It works (I think) unless someone with a better grip on the salary cap can clarify/confirm.

44. FastOil says:

45. WeirsBeard says:

Haven’t taken Spec seriously since his reporting on Arnott way back when. Unfair to the young man at the time.

These young defenders seem like a revelation. Their limitations seem to be strength (that will come in time) and experience. Wonderful! They seem to have both brains and the physical tools.

The AHL seems ever more important to play the role of meat grinder for these defensemen. Churn out those who will survive.

Can’t see the Oil taking Ekblad. His advantage in junior seems related to size, and I am not hearing reports of exceptional skating or offense from him. The forwards seem easier to project too.

FastOil: It’s too bad they didn’t make a deal for Johansen before he got it together. the Oilers coveted him and Gagner could have had him until this year I’d bet. Hindsight is great but then so is management that can spot the better player and get him.

47. Lois Lowe says:

art vandelay: So pulling data out of his ass, lying, refusing to face verifiable facts, and being a shill – but he quotes Corgis! – makes Staples better than “old timers” who know winning hockey when they see it?

I think Staples is as out to lunch as anyone, but I agree with Ducey that at least he’s trying to use an analysis grounded in data. His metric may be purely subjective and wrong-headed but I applaud the effort.

Matty, Spec, and Brownlee haven’t uttered a word of sense in well over a decade (if, in fact, they ever did). How many times did Matty pull a hatchet job on Hemsky? And Brownlee isn’t even media anymore, he sells windshields. The fact that Spec has a radio show and appears on one of the most bush league broadcasts in hockey does not mean he has an eye for the game.

PS – Hi Art!!

48. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I recall (this isn’t fair because I’m not going to go looking) a few reports about Johansen being untouchable even when he was struggling. Credit to the Jackets, they had a long term view.

Ditto.

I recall reading reports that other teams were inquirng about Johansen and Howson was defensive in his response to media reports suggesting that the Jackets had invested a pick and time with him and weren’t going to give him away.

Perhaps Gagner and Hemsky together, given Howson and the Jackets’ long-rumoured love affair for those players, could have been enough a few years ago, but hindsight is 20/20.

49. David says:

UND won last night over the 4th seeded Wisconsin. They play in the final today at 4:30.

50. FPB94 says:

RexLibris,

Funny how it was a different tune with Voracek and Filatov. OH well! Johansen has been shooting twice his SH% and 14% is a really hard number to keep up. He’ll probably regress some next year.

Ducey: There is nothing wrong with raising the pitchforks at the media here.A guy like Spector started at the Gateway, was doing the Esks desk for a while and has no particular expertise in hockey (or writing for that matter).Half his job is to say controversial things to illicit a response.

You could take him, Gregor, Jones, and Brownlee and flush them all.We would be better off for it. Bruce, LT and Willis write circles around those idiots.

The 2nd best beat down of sports writers (and sports managers/scouts) was Micheal Lewis’ post in SI following the massive backlash to his book Moneyball.

See it here: http://www.cnnsi.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1031308/index.htm

If I may, here’s my favourite part:

Anyone who wanders into major league baseball can’t help but notice the stark contrast between the field of play and the uneasy space just off it, where the executives and the scouts make their livings.

The game itself is a ruthless competition. Unless you’re very good at it, you don’t survive in it. But in the space just off the field of play there really is no level of incompetence that won’t be tolerated.

There are many reasons for this, but the big one is that baseball is structured less as a business than as a social club. The Club includes not only the people in the front office who operate the team but also, in a kind of women’s auxiliary, many of the writers and broadcasters who follow the game and purport to explain it.

This is the best take down of sports media of course was Mark Cuban owning Skip Bayless’ soul and crushing every narrative he spouted:

53. Oilanderp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The number that frustrates/scares me from last night is EVTOI per D.

major minutes. When Larsen plays, he plays major minutes too.

A few days ago, Gregor asked oilersnation who they thought the best defenceman was. I made a list of 6 categories a good d-man should have, and then rated the oilers d accordingly.

http://oilersnation.com/2014/3/27/best-d-man comment#58

My criteria are of course not exhaustive. However, much to my surprise, Belov came out to be the third best defenceman on the team this year! It would greatly concern me if Belov is taken out of the lineup in favour of Fraser, or for that matter anyone. I like the idea of resigning him for a cheap 6th-7th guy next season. Perhaps the KHL beckons, or perhaps his facepunching quotient is too low.

54. FPB94 says:

Oilanderp,

I didn’t see a rating for your thing in TRUCULENCE so obviously YOU’RE WRONG!

55. David says:

Andrei Markova is 35 years old and coming of a 5.75 per year deal. Shoots left. Dan Boyle is 37 and coming off a 6.6 per year deal. Shoots right. If we offered Markov a 3 year deal for 5-6 per and Boyle a 2 year deal for 5-6 per would they do it? Would save us from having to give up pieces for defencemen.

Markov Boyle
    Marincin Petry
    Ference Schultz
    Belov Larsen

Or

Markov Schultz
    Marincin Boyle
    Ference Petry
    Belov Larsen

Or other, Klefbom as first call up that will actuall get minutes, I think that D is a huge improvement.

56. Glock9 says:

Looks like Jones has played his last game as an Oiler. Torn PCL

57. Andy P says:

Chris:

It’s not the coach, it’s the assistant/s. Bucky, who MacT hired, is the only constant in the suckage.

58. Oilanderp says:

FPB94,

Haha I actually do value truculence in all of my hockey players, but I couldn’t figure out how to measure it so I left it off. Hits aren’t exactly a standardized measurement from barn to barn. In the end I tacitly included it in CF%: I don’t care how you get the puck back (by a hit, a pokecheck, or tieup) as long as you do and send it in the right direciton. I also wanted to put in some sort of leadership value in my consideration but again, how do you measure it? Still, I had some fun doing my half-assed analysis.

I shake my head at Oiler fan.

Staples actually has disdain for corsi.

Get your hate straight.

Glock9:
    Looks like Jones has played his last game as an Oiler. Torn PCL

Might be his last game in the NHL.

61. Evilas says:

David,

Why the obsession with Markov? I’ve always liked him, but not at his age and price tag. The Oilers have taken one too many fliers on overpaying old players whose glory years are well behind them (Khabibulin) they cannot afford to repeat these mistakes.

IMHO, Boyle/Markov would be a step backwards and payroll can be better spent elsewhere (yes like on the 4th line, lol)

62. FPB94 says:

I don’t know why Markov is being chirped around as a possibility.

Why in the hell would he sign with Edmonton? He’s on a contender that was willing to resign him even after injury riddled seasons, is willing to pay again and on who he has played his entire life.

Why would he want to relocate to Edmonton exactly? I find it hard to believe even a 1-2 M$ more in money matters to him at this point.

63. FastOil says:

Smart on their part, although some stats guys like C&B didn’t like him then. Come on Howson!

64. Lois Lowe says:

I see that the Oilers are only 1 point behind Florida and they’re “resting” Louongo. The tank is on!

65. cabbiesmacker says:

Evilas:

Trade Gagner for Dubinsky

This is hilarious in so many ways.

Maybe the Oilers could also trade Ryan Jones for Andrew Ladd while they’re in the groove.

66. Glock9 says:

Woodguy: Might be his last game in the NHL.

Your probably right. Too bad. I like Jones,,not the most skilled but good work ethic. Top five +/- on the oilers at 0.

Hopefully he can find somewhere for another year or two.

67. prairieschooner says:

The Oilers should not be looking for salvation in this years draft.
    If it is a D man they take he should stay in junior or go to the AHL (see Marincin and Kleblom)
    If it is a centre again back to junior for seasoning or the AHL
    The Oilers should be drafting outside of the top ten this year but due to Oilers we will draft top 5.

Joke ?
    Q. How many 1st overall picks do the Oilers need to make the play offs?
    A. Don’t know

68. David says:

FPB94,

2 million dollars extra per year plus an extra year on Montreals offer might do it. Guys like Markov and Boyle aren’t amazing but they are good. And better than anything we have. If we trade Eberle to get a better defenseman then we don’t have Eberle anymore and our right wing would be weak. If we have the money then free agency is the way to go cause we don’t have to give up assets. The fact they are old is good cause they will just be here as stop gaps til our young defencemen are ready.

69. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The number that frustrates/scares me from last night is EVTOI per D.

major minutes. When Larsen plays, he plays major minutes too.

I’m not really trying to defend Fraser here, but it is interesting to note from his game log that he’s had a CF% of at least 40% in each of his last 7 games. That’s almost exactly average for this team over that span. Small sample size I know, but is it possible he’s not quite as bad as he looks out there? And/or that his game has improved a bit lately? I don’t know. Just throwing it out there again.

Fraser aside, I agree completely on Belov and would like to see him back in as a 6/7 next year too.

FPB94,

I don’t know why Markov is being chirped around as a possibility.

There was talk at the deadline that EDM ask about him.

It depends on if MTL is willing to give him the $ and term he wants.

EDM would pay him more and longer (see: Clarkson)

Doesn’t mean he would take it, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t either.

71. Marc says:

Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle 3h

Going to Truth and Reconciliation event with the girls today. http://www.trc.ca/websites/alberta/index.php?p=766 … pic.twitter.com/tQy2BaKaMI

Ference may be a third pairing D at this stage in his career, but he’s a quality human being.

72. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:

73. thejonrmcleod says:

cabbiesmacker,

Since you brought up Jim Rome, here’s a good exchange between him and David Stern.

74. OilClog says:

If Klef plays out the string of games the way he played last night, there’s zero chance he’s in the AHL next season, Unless he’s been shipped to another organization.

I think Petry moves, no way either Maricin or Klef will be moved unless it’s a massive payment coming back.

Trade pieces I think at the draft are

Ebs, Petry, 1st, and Gags.

My nightmares tell me some gross way we end up with Phanuef and Kadri lol!

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FPB94:
    I don’t know why Markov is being chirped around as a possibility.

It’s just a product of the UFA list.

I’m sure most fanbases are pitching him actively around the watercooler right now.

He’s the best bet on that list right now. We’d be fools not to consider it.

76. bendelson says:

cabbiesmacker: I would respectfully disagree. This was the best take down of a sports media person

Did anyone else hear Stauffer’s comments regarding Jim Rome the other day on his show?
    Strange. He went off on how he was an excellent interview – always showing professional athletes the respect necessary to have big time success in the industry.

I guess Jim Everett didn’t qualify…

I don’t know if it was selective memory from Bob, or he is just enamoured with Rome’s ‘success’ in the big American sports market. Either way, I would suggest Bob is just flat wrong. Rome is a putz.

77. Lois Lowe says:

Marc:
    Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle 3h

Quoted for truth.

Without getting on my soapbox, everyone who is in or around Edmonton should go down and bear witness. It’s incredibly important whether you’re aboriginal or not.

78. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe:

Of course they’re resting him. He’s got another decade on that contract and is going to need as much down time as he can get.

79. smellyglove says:

Lois Lowe: Quoted for truth.

Marc:
    Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle 3h

Absolutely, if you’re there, go. I participated in the Truth & Reconciliation Walk in Vancouver a couple months ago with tens of thousands of people, Dr. Martin Luther King’s daughter spoke. This is a generational moment in civil rights and Canadian history.

80. 106 and 106 says:

smellyglove,

I work in Northern Isolated Aboriginal communities providing healthcare – these events aren’t going to solve the issue, but it’s a darn good place to start. Proud of our Captain.

Hockey-wise, Ryan Jones played 52 games and had 6 points – however he made $7,370,300 playing professional hockey, and man, that ain’t bad.

81. sliderule says:

The oilers have more than a problem on defence.

The oilers have trouble scoring.They now rank 24th and would need to find 26 goals to move up to were Dallas is ranked at 10.

You could say Yak will score more next year and you could be right but Perron will probably drop down to more near his normal.You have to think that Hall and Ebs are pretty much in the range they are going to hit for there career.

Then you have the defence were they are currently ranked at 28th.In order to move up to 15th they would have to cut out 44 goals.if they move up to the save percentage that they had last year the would pick up almost all of the difference.If Scrivens keeps the same save percentage he would do a lot more than that but I have confidence he will more than match Dubnyk.

I think the increasing the scoring is going to be tougher than lowering the goals against.The strength of our prospects is defence.The oilers don’t have any players in the AHL or junior who look like they will help our offence but many that could help our defence as Marincin and Klefbom have shown.

The best solution for the oilers would be to sign a UFA forward (vrbata maybe) and try to pick up a UFA D or trade for one.The problem is they can’t afford to trade any of their scoring forwards as that would just end up as taking away from a weak offence.If they trade Marincin or Klefbom for a Coburn that will bite them.They may have to move Petry to get that type of return.

Then you draft the best scoring forward out of this nice group of centres and the oilers might be getting to the end of the rebuild.

82. RexLibris says:

sliderule:
    … and the oilers might be getting to the end of the rebuild.

Wait! These things have an end? Why didn’t anyone tell me that?!

83. Marcus Oilerius says:

sliderule,

I think scoring will get a lot better once we have defencemen who can retrieve and pass the puck.

RexLibris: Wait! These things have an end? Why didn’t anyone tell me that?!

Finally, Steve Tambellini reveals his posting alias.

84. art vandelay says:

Rome’s apologized for the Everitt interview over and over and over again.
    He’s either the hardest-working sports broadcaster who meticulously researches his interviews or he’s got nearly perfect recall.
    He tackles a wide variety of topics. And brings some humour to the table.
    What do we get out of Edmonton sports radio. All Oilers. All the time.

Also, to the dude who cracked back on me for ripping Staples, behold, stats nerd: http://cjsrnews.com/the-timeout/2014/1/22/advanced-analytics-with-david-staples

Proponent of garbage data, whether he specifically mentions or honks for Corgis or not. It’s all garbage data that varies from arena to arena. No amount of pimping for it by guys like mc79 is going to make the data credible, when even mc79 acknowledges in his latest marginally readable post that the numbers collected are dubious.

The irrefutable numbers? 30, 30, 29, 23, and likely 30.

85. Lois Lowe says:

106 and 106:
    smellyglove,

The TRC events aren’t supposed to solve something as complex as the intergenerational effects of colonialism and systemic discrimination. The Prime Minister’s apology and the TRC are largely symbolic and are more for non-aboriginal people to finally learn the survivor’s truths about what happened to them.

Like you say, it’s a good starting place. And I am not attacking you so much as I am using your comment as a jumping off point.

Non-aboriginal people need to know the depth of suffering that these communities have gone through over the years, they also need to know that it’s not the distant past. I said I wouldn’t get on my soapbox and I don’t want to politicize LT’s blog, but I feel too strongly about this not to re-emphasize the obligation that every Canadian has to engage meaningfully with these issues.

Sorry LT I know this isn’t the place for this.

86. RexLibris says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    sliderule,

Finally, Steve Tambellini reveals his posting alias.

Hardly. He’s still spell-checking his resignation letter.

87. Evilas says:

cabbiesmacker,

Explain yourself then, I thought this was a forum for an exchange of ideas, not for ridicule…..I thought that was what ON was for.

The point is Dubinsky is who should be targeted for 2 line C.

Gagner+ (a pick/prospect) I think Gagner is a good fit for Columbus.

What do you propose the Oil should do with Gagner?

88. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe,

Without going too deep into this topic, I agree.

The Commission is a starting point. But only that.

South Africa’s experience with the TRC was a starting point, someplace for everyone to come forward and bring their stories into the public record. While somewhat symbolic, putting the experiences of a group, be it cultural, ethnic, religious, etc, on record and into the sphere of public discussion is a necessary step in the cathartic process, but unless acted upon and used as a place from which to move forward both culturally and as a matter of policy, risks being seen as a token gesture allowing the governing group to relapse into indifference, or worse.

Case studies of two modern examples who took divergent paths (with political and economic circumstances aside for now) are post-war Germany and Japan. Arguments could certainly be made about the impacts today, both negative and positive, for those two nations as a result.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: with the depth of blueliners coming up through the Oilers’ system, and the history of dominant defensemen emerging from all levels of the draft, I’m less concerned about the Oilers trading a forward like Eberle for a 1D. My preference is to deal with the C issue. Outside of Nugent-Hopkins this team has bugger all for high-level potential at that position and are poised to trade away the closest thing we currently have in Gagner.

At the top of the draft the Oilers need a C, after that they need some scoring wingers and a few more defensemen to replenish the ones that are slowly maturing now so that in four years’ time they can replace the ones we’re talking about today.

89. sliderule says:

RexLibris,

All I know is that when things are looking like they will never end you can panic and make moves that in the oilers case can result in rebuild number two.
    When I was in business when you panicked it could put you into receivership.
    The message is don’t panic.

90. RexLibris says:

sliderule:
    RexLibris,

When I was in business when you panicked it could put you into receivership.
    The message is don’t panic.

Panic and Ebullient Hope are the only settings on the Emotion-o-meter that Oilers fans are built with.

Gotta say, you’re kind of emasculating my fandom here. If I can’t say that Eberle is the next Luc Robitaille and that Lander is like a poor-man’s Jonathan Toews, but I’m not allowed to say that Klefbom is going to become Cam Barker on the ice and Sami Salo off of it or that Nail Yakupov will be this generation’s Pavel Brendl then what is left for me?

Objective reason and rational critique? Undiscovered country, my friend. Here Be Dragons!

;)

91. Ducey says:

art vandelay:
    Rome’s apologized for the Everitt interview over and over and over again.
    He tackles a wide variety of topics. And brings some humour to the table.
    What do we get out of Edmonton sports radio. All Oilers. All the time.

The irrefutable numbers? 30, 30, 29, 23, and likely 30.

So any attempt to understand the game better through analysis is crap because the Oilers are not good?

What hangs on the wall and is grumpy all the time?

92. Oilanderp says:

sliderule,

…and always carry a towel.

93. Caramel Obvious says:

OilClog:

Trade pieces I think at the draft are

Ebs, Petry, 1st, and Gags.

My nightmares tell me some gross way we end up with Phanuef and Kadri lol!

Trading Klefbom is pretty much the only way for the Oilers to improve next year. Anyone else is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Caramel Obvious: Trading Klefbom is pretty much the only way for the Oilers to improve next year.Anyone else is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So the Oilers finally have a big physical skilled defensemen who can battle the heavy power forwards in our division, and the way to improve is to trade him away? Have you been watching the OIlers for the last 5 years. Klefbom is part of the solution. Defensemen like him are rare.

Musil can do what Klefbom does, but he doesn’t skate well enough, which is the problem with most of D of this type.

Klefbom is a gem.

95. Evilas says:

godot10,

This is why I think Schultz (with Ebs) should be used to bring Coburn/Courturier back. He is a tantalizing talent, but what is his upside? He won’t be a 1 D, he doesn’t play tough enough…..as much as I’d hope he would, he won’t become what Karlsson is. Anyway, Marincin and Klefbom are showing what they could be, which is what this D needs, big fast, effective puck-movers. Schultz becomes expendable if Frolin signs…..again I hope MacT’s school ties, and possibly Klef and Lander’s relationships makes this a reality.

Can you imagine, if the stars aligned, in 3 yrs a line-up of:

1. Marincin-Frolin
    2. Klefbom-Petry
    3. Nurse-Eckblad
    Coburn-Simpson-Gernat

Perhaps Klefbom becomes 1 D

Dare to dream

96. sliderule says:

Evilas,

Where are you going to pick up the goals between Eberle and Couturier..

Any trade that adds defence and gives up more offence is suspect.

The oilers will never make playoffs let alone contend for Stanley cups until they get up to to the top five in offence.

97. cabbiesmacker says:

sliderule:
    Evilas,

Whereare you going to pick up the goals between Eberle and Couturier..

Any trade that adds defence and gives up more offence is suspect.

It’s an amazing trade idea huh? Oilers give up two players for lesser players at both positions.

98. cabbiesmacker says:

Evilas:
    cabbiesmacker,

The point is Dubinsky is who should be targeted for 2 line C.

Gagner+ (a pick/prospect) I think Gagner is a good fit for Columbus.

What do you propose the Oil should do with Gagner?

I propose they lose him at any cost.

Your post made no mention of a prospect along with Gagner for Dubinsky. Better be a damn good one because Dubinsky is one f of a lot better hockey player than Gagner ever will be.

Perhaps the reason you’re here now is you got ridiculed too often at ON? With trade proposals like that one I’m not surprised.

99. FPB94 says:

Woodguy,

Given Edmonton’s FA history. If he signs here i’ll shoot myself in the foot.

100. Evilas says:

sliderule,

You don’t always pick up what you lose in a trade, we are giving up a small soft winger for a young big gritty C. Most on this blog will agree Couturier is a fit. In a few years he might be a 20 goal scorer.

Moulson is brought in to replace Eberle. This team will not be a playoff team if Eberle remains, he is a key piece for bringing back what is needed. I like him, but this is the truth. I’ve watched almost every game since 2010, it is crystal clear to me what needs to be done.

101. Evilas says:

cabbiesmacker,

I don’t often post here, but visit daily (this seems almost like an exclusive club or something) or at ON, I guess you must’ve posted the drunk comment – good one.

There are a lot of posters on this site who often make interesting and intelligent points. You, however, seem to be cut from the same cloth as DSF, without attempting to really support your position…..

I figure Gagner + 2015 1st for Dubinsky + 2014 2nd might make this work.

Honestly I am going to give up on this posting thing. If my thoughts illicit your type of response, then this is a waste of everyone’s time.

102. Bruce McCurdy says:

Trading the 2015 1st-rounder is something Garth Snow might do. Last thing this Oilers fan wants to be doing next year is watching the Oil settling like a stone for the bottom (again) with no ticket to the McDavid/Eichel lottery.

103. gvblackhawk says:

Bruce McCurdy:

The booby prizes in next year’s draft also look pretty enticing.

FPB94:
    Woodguy,

Given Edmonton’s FA history. If he signs here i’ll shoot myself in the foot.

Garrioch has MTL giving Markov 3 years before July 1st.

That was the rumoured sticking point, term.

I agree that its a really thin probability.

godot10: So the Oilers finally have a big physical skilled defensemen who can battle the heavy power forwards in our division, and the way to improve is to trade him away?Have you been watching the OIlers for the last 5 years.Klefbom is part of the solution.Defensemen like him are rare.

Klefbom is a gem.

This can’t be overstated.

Watching Klef pin Getzlaf on the boards then take the puck and skate away made me weep.

Only Oiler D who could probably do that with any regularity.

Marincin might get there, but he needs to eat a few cows first.

I don’t trade Marincin or Klef at all.

106. Caramel Obvious says:

Woodguy: This can’t be overstated.

Only Oiler D who could probably do that with any regularity.

Marincin might get there, but he needs to eat a few cows first.

I don’t trade Marincin or Klef at all.

If you don’t trade Klefbom or Marincin or the #1 pick there is no way to improve the team for next year. This team needs a Perron type deal for the defense and that takes a Paajarvi type player. If not Klefbom then who?

Now I like Klefbom and it’s fun to imagine a future with all the young defense but that means sitting through another bad year at least.

Myself, I think I’d try and trade Gagner+Klefbom for Roman Josi* and then sign Marcel Goc to replace Gagner. Add a free agent winger and a free agent D and you have something that resembles a team next year.

*Though I admit I’m not sure about this. I’d have to look hard for the Weber effect first.

Caramel Obvious,

I trade Eberle to get the 2C or 1D.

I trade Shultz before I trade Klef or Marincin

I trade the #1 pick as well if I have to.

108. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yea. I not on board with trading Marincin or Klef.

I agree with the part of LT that says “you can’t trade them until you know exactly what they are and if they’re good you keep them.”

And, disagree with the part that says “we can’t keep all these damn kids and right now might be a trade showcase for the kids” (the latter part might be true BTW, but I wouldn’t be happy about it).

109. Caramel Obvious says:

Woodguy:
    Caramel Obvious,

I trade Eberle to get the 2C or 1D.

I trade Shultz before I trade Klef or Marincin

I trade the #1 pick as well if I have to.

Using the Josi hypothetical, would you trade Eberle for him? I don’t think I would. This team needs scoring as much as anything else. Like you I’d trade Eberle for Couturier but I don’t think that’s possible.

If you trade the #1 pick you need to get something great back. What?

I keep J. Schultz.

Caramel Obvious: Using the Josi hypothetical, would you trade Eberle for him?I don’t think I would.This team needs scoring as much as anything else.Like you I’d trade Eberle for Couturier but I don’t think that’s possible.

If you trade the #1 pick you need to get something great back.What?

I keep J. Schultz.

Eberle is far too much for Josi.

I have no idea what deals are out there.

Same with trading the 1st rounder.

Does someone really love Ekblad? If so, what do they have that the Oilers need.

Tough to speculate because I have no idea what’s available.

Caramel Obvious,

Trading Shultz is politically tough as he picked the Oilers over the other 29 teams who wanted him and that’s important.

That being said, I have Petry, Marincin and even Klef ahead of him in terms of “ability to play defence in the NHL”

The CA/60 when Shultz is on the ice is a big problem.

Great first pass, but he doesn’t get the puck on his own and bails often on plays where he should eat the puck.

112. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: This can’t be overstated.

Only Oiler D who could probably do that with any regularity.

Marincin might get there, but he needs to eat a few cows first.

I don’t trade Marincin or Klef at all.

There are 3 ways this team gets a blue that would be the envy of most of the league.
    1. Sign two top pairing Dmen. Most likely need to overpay in $ and/ term.
    2. Wait 3 or 4 more years for this young D core to mature.
    3. Trade for some good D. This would mean one or two of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse and Schultz on the table.

I don’t see 1 happening maybe we can get a couple of 2nd or 3rd pairing Dmen as stop gaps as FA, until the D core mature but this will continue to lessen our chances of making the playoffs for the next few years.

If this team is gonna compete next year or the year after, they need top pairing D. The quickest way is through a trade and unfortunately in order to get you have to give. And I think trading one of the D I mentioned increases if we sign Simpson and if we draft Ekblad.

Great quote by Klef when asked if he’s going to be a stay at home Dman:

At practice the day after scoring his first career goal, Klefbom was asked whether he was just going to be a stay-at-home defenceman at the NHL level.

“We’ll see,” he said, pausing to consider his answer. “I want to be like a two-way defender, but obviously I want to make really good defence work first. It depends; if I play with Justin [Schultz] I will take a little more defence work, to cover him up. But like I said, I want to be a guy who can follow up rushes and make a good first pass.”

Ha!

Already knows he has to be 1.5 Dmen when on the ice with Shultz.

114. theres oil in virginia says:

The concept of “time-value” should come into play too. If you’re trading a player that can help in the future for a player that can help now, your going to pay a premium. I don’t think the Oilers should be doing that right now, if ever. I’d vote for getting some quality vets (UFA), and figuring out the Gagner situation, and letting the kids fight for an improvement in the standings. It looks like they’ve got the goaltending settled, for now.