ASK LT!

We’re starting a new feature here at the blog, ask LT! I have NO idea what I’m talking about, but that’s never stopped my wife from asking me 1000 questions a day!

• If the Oilers draft fourth, who do they take?

I think the Oilers have the top of their draft list set as follows: Aaron Ekblad, Leon Draisaitl, Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett. I suspect they like Jake Virtanen and Nikolai Ehlers a lot too, but MacT will want to draft a center or defenseman. If they fall to fourth, and all but Bennett are available, they could trade down. Edmonton doesn’t have a second or third round pick, it’s possible they trade their first rounder for a top 10 pick and a second round selection.

• Will they trade Sam Gagner, and to whom?

They will deal him to the Islanders, for Josh Bailey. The 4C’s next season might be Nuge-Bailey-Gordon-Arcobello, although there’s probably an appetite to add a big time center.

• If they draft Ekblad, will Nurse and Ekblad play next year?

Hell if I know. Edmonton is about to get overrun by these kids on the blue. Remember Dillon Simpson is on his way too. Jesus. This is EXACTLY what happened to the Leafs in 1970. I think Edmonton is better off sending one of these kids, and a pick or forward, to another city in exchange for a stud defender with hair on his ass (source: Duke Snider).

• Matty says the Oilers will sign Matt Greene. Will they?

I can see it. As a depth guy, he could provide a physical element—Edmonton wanted Theo Peckham for that job and then brought in Mark Fraser to audition. If that’s the role planned, a 6-7D, it’s tolerable.

• What is the big addition this summer?

We don’t know yet. It could be a center like Spezza or Paul Stastny, or it could be a defenseman like Dion Phaneuf or Andrei Markov. Craig MacTavish is going to build this team up the middle over the summer. Look for D and C’s.

• Who are the wingers for next year?

Hall-Eberle and Perron-Yakupov seem set, although I’m worried about the Russian. After that, Matt Hendricks and Luke Gazdic appear to be roster players and you’d have to think Roman Horak, Anton Lander and Tyler Pitlick have a chance. If the Oilers could solve one or two of these problems with a Horak, that would be a helluva thing. I’m hoping there’s money left over for Moss and Winnik.

• What about Bogdan Yakimov?

What about Bogdam Yakimov?

• Who should the Oilers hire at assistant coach?

Charlie Huddy, Billy Moores and Todd Nelson.

• What are they key areas Edmonton needs to address this summer?

Center, defense, the power play and penalty kill.

• What’s most important?

Improving the possession game.

• Give me an example

Roman Horak helps you more than Luke Gazdic.

• Do you have a Matty-style “Drew Stafford” you would like Edmonton to acquire?

100 Responses to "ASK LT!"

1. Marcus Oilerius says:

If you could permanently expunge a MSM reporter from the business, who would it be? You have one choice for local guys, one from each TV Network, and one from the newspapers outside Edmonton.

2. stevezie says:

“Who should the Oilers hire at assistant coach?”

Is there room for a powerplay specialist here? Adam Oates is about to get fired, wouldn’t he make a nice addition? I seem to remember Guy Carbonneau running a fine PP, maybe he is bored of whatever he’s doing?

Of course, both these guys would demand Associate coach (at least), which might preclude Nelson, who i think they want to keep.

LT’s selections, on the other hand, could actually happen.

3. fifthcartel says:

“If they trade Ekblad, will Nurse and Ekblad play next year?”

I think you meant draft instead of trade!

4. boxman says:

“I can also day-dream a scenario where Katz decides to use his money as a competitive advantage, backs a brinks truck up to Trotz’s door and convinces him that, after fifteen years, he is ready for the Larry Robinson stage of his career.” as per Stevezie……..hell ya, why not!

5. leadfarmer says:

Trading down from the top 4 is worth a lot more than a second rounder. The top 4 are fairly interchangeable and any of them my be picked first.

Also, if they draft Ekblad I bet him, Nurse, Marincin, and Klefbom start in the NHL, because MacT will bring a declining Greene into the fold and realize that he is only a slight improvement on Fraser and we started the season with a lack of NHL defensemen. Because if you put a bunch of first round picks on a roster everything should work out. Right???

6. Rondo says:

Jake Virtanen is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Bennett sounds like a much better fit for the Oilers than Reinhart. Don’t like the fact that Reinhart has so few penalty minutes.

Rondo:
    If Oilers win the lotterywho does Edmonton take first?

Ekblad.

8. Rondo says:

If Oilers win the lottery who does Edmonton take first?

I have no idea how that happened.

10. gr8one says:

If Bennett is on the table at 4 overall I think MacT should run and not walk to the podium to select him. That’s assuming Ekblad, Drais and Reinhart are the first three.

I like DalColle a lot too, for the same reason as Bennett…two of the younger kids in the draft and still ran with the thoroughbreds. If DalColle were a center I’d have right there.

I personally think that in five years Bennet will be the best player out of the bunch, I would however be just as happy with the German kid since I think he’ll have an impact quicker, plus his size brings a different Dimension that we need, and that trumps the small difference of how much better I think Bennett will eventually become.

But really, I’ll be happy with any of those top 4.

11. stevezie says:

I hope we do not win. I think the embarrassment at having four 1OAs outweighs the difference between the top prospects.

I’d rather have one of the centers anyway. Plus Florida drafting Ekblad makes them more likely to trade Kulikov. Winwinwin

12. spoiler says:

LT…

Why did Disney make Alice’s dress blue? That’s just wrong.

13. Rondo says:

Your good, you answered the question before I asked it.

14. Bad Seed says:

Here’s a question for LT – why is there no love for Bennet? The guy seems to check off all the boxes – plays a 200′ game, aggressive, youngest of the 4 by quite a bit. Are the Oilers so enraptured by a big body that they’d pass him by or trade the pick?

15. steveb12344 says:

Rondo:
    Jake Virtanen is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Bennettsounds like a much better fit for the Oilers than Reinhart.Don’t like the fact that Reinhart has so few penalty minutes.

I agree. I think Bennett could end up being the best out of all of them. (maybe)

I kind of hope Ekblad is gone when The Oilers turn comes up. They really do need a C more than another D at this point.

I think if they do take Ekblad, then one of Marincin, or Klefbom would almost surely become expendable. I’d rather keep them both and go with Draisatl or Bennett. (Reinhart is no slouch either, but I think he’s too much like the other young guns we already have)

Bennett plays more like Perron than Eberle. I think they could make room for some more of that.

16. Ducey says:

LT, why do you hate Bennett?

Ok, Bad Seed beat me to it.

Next question. If you can get David Booth for a 2014 5th rounder, do you do it?

Bad Seed:
    Here’s a question for LT – why is there no love for Bennet?The guy seems to check off all the boxes – plays a 200′ game, aggressive, youngest of the 4 by quite a bit.Are the Oilers so enraptured by a big body that they’d pass him by or trade the pick?

I don’t think it’s a matter of not loving Bennett. It’s a matter of the Oilers talking about Eklbad and Draisaitl. If you check out local media, Matty, Rishaug, others, they’ve said it out loud “the Oilers want Ekblad or Draisaitl.”

I haven’t seen a mention of Reinhart either. I don’t think Bennett is at the same spot on their list. I don’t have a horse in this race, to be honest. I’ll get there, but it’s still early. Bennett sounds like the kind of guy I’ll like, two-way, wide range of skills.

That’s my guy in most years.

18. stevezie says:

Does Hall have a chance to be the first Oiler to finish in the top ten for Hart voting since Doug Weight in 2000? I mean this summer based on the current season.

(If you are in a more historical mood, please tell me how the hell Lemiuex only finished fifth in Hart voting in 1992? How did Messier not just win, but run away with first? I remember him good, but his reputation is not just incongruous with his numbers, it is some word that means “extraordinarily out of proportion.” Who can explain this? Don’t just tell me why he was good, tell me why he was light years better than Lemeiux’s >2 points a game, Hull’s 70 goals, and Patrick Roy changing the goaltending position.)

*I poached this from the las thread, but it fits much better here

19. cc says:

We do not need an over paid, over hyped, over media driven Band-Aid!

Now my question:
    Looking at our defense, don’t you think with Marinchin, Klefbom, Petry, Nurse coming next year, Ekblad (we pray we get), Schultz (for PP time), our captain to mentor, and the kids coming that we’re headed a great direction?

Heck we don’t need to pretend we’re going to take a run at the cup next year, but as this group develops we should be solid,

Second question: What’s your thoughts on Larsen up front? I thought he looked great. He controls the puck along the boards and reads the opponents d-man like he knows something about their game plan.

20. TheOtherJohn says:

Quick LT give me your home phone #……”.Mrs LT your husband says you ask him a 1000 questions each and every day AND also says unspeakable things about the Green Riders…….. you are DEAD!!!

2C, top pairing D and some possession monsters on the 3L with Gordon—2 of Benoit Pouilot, D Winnik or D Moss

If Florida takes Ekblad I’d try very hard to trade for Bryan Campbell who would be a fantastic bridge to a time when the kids can start to play against better competition

Love to have Huddy back, Trotz as Associate Coach and Todd Nelson

21. stevezie says:

cc: Please LT, Please, quit talking about or even mentioning the name Pha-noooooooooooooooooo-euf .

We do not need an over paid, over hyped, over media driven Band-Aid!

Phaneuf would be fantastic on a team where he didn’t have to face top competition. His strengths are his shot, his stickhandling, and (once upon a time) intimidating hits that cometimes came at the expense of positioning. You know where this stuff kills? In the offensive zone again second-tier competition.

If you think someone in his paygrade doesn’t get that option, meditate on Duncan Keith’s usage.

This is me taking the long way to say I agree with you, Dion is not a great fit here. I’d still take him though.

Ducey:
    LT, why do you hate Bennett?

Ok, Bad Seed beat me to it.

Next question.If you can get David Booth for a 2014 5th rounder, do you do it?

Pass, unless I’m missing something.

stevezie:

(If you are in a more historical mood, please tell me howthe hell Lemiuex only finished fifth in Hart voting in 1992? How did Messier not just win, but run away with first? I remember him good, but his reputation is not just incongruous with his numbers, it is some word that means “extraordinarily out of proportion.” Who can explain this? Don’t just tell me why he was good, tell me why he was light years better than Lemeiux’s >2 points a game, Hull’s 70 goals, and Patrick Roy changing the goaltending position.)

*I poached this from the las thread, but it fits much better here

He should, but the voters don’t like sideburns

cc:

We do not need an over paid, over hyped, over media driven Band-Aid!

Now my question:
    Looking at our defense, don’t you thinkwith Marinchin, Klefbom, Petry, Nurse coming next year, Ekblad (we pray we get), Schultz (for PP time), our captain to mentor, and the kids coming that we’re headed a great direction?

Second question:What’s your thoughts on Larsen up front?I thought he looked great.He controls the puck along the boards and reads the opponents d-man like he knows something about their game plan.

Sure, we’re heading in a good direction but kids make mistakes and move up smartly which is followed by epic fails. Don’t be fooled!!! Young defensemen give you grey hair!!!

Larsen up front? Looks good, but they’re not going to use him on a skill line. If the coach used him? different matter.

TheOtherJohn:

2C, top pairing D and some possession monsters on the 3L with Gordon—2 of Benoit Pouilot, D Winnik or DMoss

Love to have Huddy back, Trotz as Associate Coach and Todd Nelson

lol. There are Roughrider fans she knows who have offered to have me offed, free of charge. Roughrider fans are a fiesty lot!! But a lot of fun, too.

26. Mesmer says:

I have no idea how that happened.

Also, it seems obvious to me from events here at the blog that you know how to bend time. How is this done?

27. Rondo says:

Lowetide: I don’t think so, no. There should be some players of his type available in free agency. He posted a poor 5×5/60 and even though his underlying numbers look good the qual comp was soft and he didn’t have tough zone starts.

Pass, unless I’m missing something.

Interesting , did not know that.

Do you have similar stats regarding Leon Draisaitl?

28. Evilas says:

steveb12344,

I keep reading that drafting Ekblad would make some of the young D expendable. I totally disagree. Ekblad is a different animal altogether:

1. He is a R shot (Petry, Schultz, Larsson and Fedun are the only others in the cupboards)
    2. He is about 220lbs (don’t have one of these)
    3. He has a Howitzer (don’t have one of these)

Is he ready this year? He might be close, but likely would go back for 1 more year and then be on the big club. There are questions about his mobility, and those will be answered in the Fall. The other things this kid has going for him is that he has exceptional hockey sense, I think this is why he will be close to ready, he has excelled at a very young age at the toughest position to play (sure he is a man amongst boys, but without the exceptional mind for the game, he wouldn’t have gotten to Major Juniors a year earlier than 99.999% of other hockey players).

This isn’t the second coming of Adam Larsson, I think he will be as good as Weber within 3-4 years of this draft.

For this reason I think this makes Schultz of all the young expendable, since IMHO I think we know what Schultz is and will top out at – a soft defender with the potential for exceptional offense….

In the West I would prefer my D to have some size (Klef, Marincin, Nurse, Gernat, Musil all have that, although The Marty’s and Nurse all need to put on at least 15 more lbs!!).

29. slopitch says:

Can I borrow your delorean?

Whats your favorite rum?

If you had to pick 1 of Gagner, Eberle or Yak to keep. Who is it?

30. Melman says:

Rondo,

I/m out here in Van. – he’s a bit of a wingnut by reputation. They need predictable veterans, not “he’s overcome his injury troubles and he’s due to bounce back”

Mesmer: Hey LT, what do you think the Oilers do about Yak? Do you think they will bring in someone to work with him, like an Oates or a Kasatononv, or do they trade him for pennies on the dollar?

I’m very concerned about what they do with Yakupov. If MacT gets a reasonable offer for him this summer, he could be gone. I believe it would be a mistake, but they’re going to be under a lot of pressure and I’m not sure about Yakupov’s status in the room or with the coach.

I’m genuinely concerned.

32. sliderule says:

Sending Hemsky away made a weak scoring team weaker.

Where are the going to get the thirty to forty goals to make a run at playoffs.

33. spoiler says:

Although my Alice question was actually serious, I do have a more hockey-related inquiry…

If the choice is between drafting one of the top centres, or between trading with say Philly, Colorada, or Caroline for one of their centres, do you trade the pick for more experience now, or draft away?

34. cahill says:

What is your opinion on Burmistrov as an option for the top 6 center role? From the Winnipeg Free Press, “Liut told the Free Press on Friday there is a possibility of getting Burmistrov out of his KHL contract and he’s open to a discussion with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff about the player’s future.”

What would a trade look like for him? I’m thinking Lander & Gernat might be an option. Signing Simpson makes Gernat expendable.

His point totals aren’t great but when he’s played with skilled players he seems to have done fine. http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/9/5/4695750/winnipeg-jets-top-25-under-25-3-alexander-burmistrov

35. Evilas says:

If the stars align on Draft day and MacT finally makes the bold moves I hope for (Ebs and Schultz for Coburn, Courturier +2014 2nd + another 2nd or a prospect with size/grit) and adds Dubinsky (+2014 2nd for Gags + 2015 1st), what would you do to replace Ebs on the 1st line?

36. Chris says:

Can you imagine a coaching staff that included Oates, Carbonneau and Huddy? Man that would be awesome. Hell the players might even be inclined to listen to that collection of cup winners and hall of famers.

If we can’t draft that all star team, Perry Pearn and Craig Ramsay would be nice.

37. stevezie says:

Chris,

We can debate the specific names, but I think an all-star coaching team is a great idea if Katz decides to open the bank.

As long as the coaches are capable of working together, it seems silly not to.

38. Melman says:

Chris,

I think Ramsay would be a great add – he’s got tons of experience, but at the same time has shown himself to be better in associate/assistant role than as a HC. Based on what he seems to be doing with some of the OKC guys, I’d like to see Nelson get a shot too. Hopefully MacT has plans for his eventual replacement as I can’t imagine he’ll be down there a whole lot longer.

Evilas:

Perron?

cahill:
    What is your opinion on Burmistrov as an option for the top 6 center role?From the Winnipeg Free Press, “Liut told the Free Press on Friday there is a possibility of getting Burmistrov out of his KHL contract and he’s open to a discussion with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff about the player’s future.”

What would a trade look like for him?I’m thinking Lander & Gernat might be an option.Signing Simpson makes Gernat expendable.

His point totals aren’t great but when he’s played with skilled players he seems to have done fine.http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/9/5/4695750/winnipeg-jets-top-25-under-25-3-alexander-burmistrov

I like Burmistrov, but believe EDM will acquire a C with size.

spoiler:

I trade for more experience if we’re talking O’Reilly or Couturier.

Top 10 Prospects via the Hockey Writers. Interesting list http://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-oilers-top-10-prospects-spring-2014-edition/

43. Glock9 says:

LT…. Re Yak,,,,

I’m genuinely concerned…….

Me too,,,,Can we give this kid some time pls……If he is gone he will definately be one of those regrets a coupld of years down the road…..

44. Pajamah says:

LT, multiple choice.

1.3 for 1 (or more) to get Weber
    2. Get the picks back and offer sheet Subban
    3. Hainsey/Niskanen UFA

If you could please answer what you think is the likeliest, and which you as a fan would like to see.

Pajamah:
    LT, multiple choice.

1.3 for 1 (or more) to get Weber
    2. Get the picks back and offer sheet Subban
    3. Hainsey/Niskanen UFA

Weber stays in NAS, I’d love the OS for Subban (seriously) and most likely is Hainsey or Niskanen via UFA.

1) Which NHL head coaching job does Todd Nelson get next season?
    2) Will Bucky be a good head coach in OKC? (I know, they would probably give it to Laxdal, but I couldn’t resist.)

47. Kris11 says:

LT,

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?

48. G Money says:

Ask LT, eh? OK, here goes:

- Do you still hate Smid?

- If not, who do you hate most and why?

- Esks: playoffs this year?

- Realistic 3 for 1 trade to boldly improve the Oilers?

- Given the volume of blog writing that you do, are you actually a human bean, or are you a group of humans and/or aliens and/or a sophisticated AI posing as a singular entity?

godot10:
    1) Which NHL head coaching job does Todd Nelson get next season?
    2) Will Bucky be a good head coach in OKC?(I know, they would probably give it to Laxdal, but I couldn’t resist.)

1. Nelson is hired in Florida
    2. Laxdal to OKC, Steve Hamilton OK head coach.

Kris11:
    LT,

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?

That’s the way God made you!

G Money:
    Ask LT, eh?OK, here goes:

- Do you still hate Smid?

- If not, who do you hate most and why?

- Esks: playoffs this year?

- Realistic 3 for 1 trade to boldly improve the Oilers?

1. No
    2. Hair
    3. No, but close
    4. I don’t have one, sorry. Maybe around Subban?
    5. Borg.

52. Zangetsu says:

I’d rather give it time. You just don’t know with dmen. Gernat could be the best of the bunch. I would rather slowly introduce them, and trade them as they become expendable.

Zangetsu:

Oilers are quickly reaching a point where they’ll have SO many in their entry level deals they’re going to lose some to waivers in the next couple of years.

54. cahill says:

i. If the Oilers hire Nicholson do you think MacT will be given a 2nd year?
    ii. Would a Gagner for Colin Wilson or Josh Bailey fill the center with size issue? Both around 6’1 210.

55. The Duke of Hafford says:

I would put a big offer sheet for Ryan Johansen before Subban. Would seven years $49 million get it done?

56. flyfish1168 says:

I have no idea how that happened.

I’m going to call you “carnac the magnificent” for that one

57. stevezie says:

Would you move the McDavid year first for Giordano?

cahill:
    i. If the Oilers hire Nicholson do you think MacT will be given a 2nd year?
    ii. Would a Gagner for Colin Wilson or Josh Bailey fill the center with size issue?Both around 6’1 210.

1. The only way they’re hiring Nicholson is Lowe is leaving imo. MacT wouldn’t move under those circumstances.
    2. I like both, and imo yes.

59. LMHF#1 says:

Are they bringing back Billy so he can very insistently accuse Hall of being on the ice for plays he wasn’t?

(I kid Moores, it was just such a funny moment)

The Duke of Hafford:
    I would put a big offer sheet for Ryan Johansen before Subban.Would seven years $49 million get it done?

stevezie:
    Would you move the McDavid year first for Giordano?

No. I wouldn’t move this year’s either. A top pick has franchise altering value.

62. WeirsBeard says:

LT,
    We all know MAP was an earlier favourite, but who was the first son of LT?

When do you think we can expect playoffs?

WeirsBeard:
    LT,
    We all know MAP was an earlier favourite, but who was the first son of LT?

When do you think we can expect playoffs?

Hmmm. That’s a good question. When you’re young, there’s no real difference between you and other young people. So, Messier, 99, etc were contemporaries, I assumed anyone without grey hair arrived at the same time as me.

The first player I remember thinking about in terms of Dad would probably be Chris Hajt. I was a Dad by the time he was drafted and cheered for HIS Dad, so yeah I’d say that was the beginning.

64. Andy P says:

Hi LT,
    Do you think there is any validity in Bucky being the constant in our land of suck, or do you think he’s actually ok, and our problem is the last constant – Darryl Katz?

65. Nuckout says:

LT, What do you think will be the most likely scenario for Yak City? Trade? Stay and tear it up? Ride pine?

Andy P:
    Hi LT,

I honestly don’t know. I do know the defense hasn’t been the same since Huddy left.

67. Evilas says:

LT, I was not thinking of an internal candidate, I think Yak/Perron with a solid 2-way C have potential. I like Perron on the 2nd line.

Is there a bigger Winger who would be a good fit with Nuge/Hall?

Do you think Vanek would be a fit? If so would he do a “solid” to Oil and give them a discount, say 3yrs at 6.5-7/yr?

What about Jagr?

What about Iggy (is there a hope in hell?)

Moulson?

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“If the Oilers could solve one or two of these problems with a Horak, that would be a helluva thing.”

This is such a great line.

———–
    I floated that Burmistrov idea a couple of weeks ago and asked Arctic ice about it on twitter.

The idea being, if you can get him to return, he might be a money-puck idea, leverage market inefficiencies about Russians, KHL worries, the whole tomato…. I’d look into it.

———–
    Condors/Barons did an interesting thing today

with the log jam in Barons camp, this kind of thing makes all kinds of sense… give Mitch something to do and get a kid out of the crowded locker room… probably can turn around in there without bumping into an ass.

———-
    I wrote about Holmberg and all the Oilers’ prospects still playing hockey here

check it out.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

New ISS list

Del Colle higher than I’ve seen him before. Really low on Barbashev, but they have Nylander up really high.

70. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

LT,

Offer sheets are a legitimate mechanism available to franchises to pursue players. I often see bloggers quickly dismiss them as a smart method to acquire rare talent. Given the exceptional timing of our immediate need for a first pairing D and the fact a Norris level D of youth (rare) named Subban is falling into the trigger hairs in only weeks, why would this not be aggressively pursued? Let me simply add that we will have harvested 3 no. 1′s, a 7th and anywhere from a no. 4 to a no. 1 in the last 5 yrs. Does this not set the table as a perfect scenario?

Nuckout:

He scores 30 next season and is traded for the modern Radek Dvorak and a first round pick.

Evilas:

LT, I was not thinking of an internal candidate, I think Yak/Perron with a solid 2-way C have potential.I like Perron on the 2nd line.

Is there a bigger Winger who would be a good fit with Nuge/Hall?

Do you think Vanek would be a fit?If so would he do a “solid” to Oil and give them a discount, say 3yrs at 6.5-7/yr?

What about Jagr?

What about Iggy (is there a hope in hell?)

Moulson?

Vanek is a fine player, expensive. Kane?

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    LT,

Preaching to the converted! Giddyup!

74. One-Timer says:

From the last thread-
    Woodguy:
    “I have a suspicion that the structure of the NHL playoffs was changed explicitly so Americans could do “bracket challenges” and add fans.”

Mass appeal to American b-ball culture is likely a factor, but really, what’s old is new. Six divisions never made sense, and going back to the four divisions will be setting up some sweet match-ups in the division finals. Classic Boston-Montreal in the Atlantic and a Battle of Pennsy in the Met. You should be licking your chops!

Hi Mr. Tide,

Just left a great blues bar in Nashville : http://www.bourbonstreetblues.com/

This 14 year old kid from Cincinnati who still wears braces tore the roof off the joint with his beat up Stratocaster during open stage night. Good times.

2 questions:

1) Does MacT know that if his big off season Dman signing is Matt Greene that the Oilers are in the bottom 5 again?

2) Can Gord heat a burrito in the microwave so hot that he himself cannot eat it?

I’ll hang up and listen.

One-Timer:
    From the last thread-
    Woodguy:

Mass appeal to American b-ball culture is likely a factor, but really, what’s old is new.Six divisions never made sense, and going back to the four divisions will be setting up some sweet match-ups in the division finals.Classic Boston-Montreal in the Atlantic and a Battle of Pennsy in the Met.You should be licking your chops!

I like division rivals too.

Downside is two very good teams beat the piss out of each other (SJS/LAK) while two meh teams fight to see who goes on (COL/MIN).

The key to the Americanization is that the SCP doesn’t get re-seeded in the 2nd round now.

I read volumes about how this confused many people, and it makes brackets impossible.

No re-seeding now.

DAL is the 4 seed in the Pacific conference and will remain so for the duration.

That’s the big change, no re-seeding.

77. One-Timer says:

One-Timer:
    From the last thread-
    Woodguy:

LT,

Are my Eastern Conference predictions correct? I’m not asking this because of the playoff pool I’m in.

78. Chris says:

Since we’re playing ask LT, do you listen to any music that was created after 1993? Or once the Oilers started to suck was listening to music from when they didn’t suck a coping mechanism?

79. One-Timer says:

Woodguy,

Yeah that SJS-LAK match-up is a hell of an opener. Buttman was gritting his teeth as that one fell into place.

80. russ99 says:

LT:

Realistically how many NHL roster player moves would be needed to grab a playoff spot, given that we get similar goalkeeping from Fasth and Scrivens all next year?

Recently MacT alluded to around 4, I think it’s more like 8, mainly due to lack of experience on D and shutdown players in the bottom 6.

81. Chris says:

Also who is the next Marc Antoine Pouliot?

82. PunjabiOil says:

Would a 32 year old David moss be a good candidate for a contract? Would you go over 2 years for it?

Woodguy:
    Hi Mr. Tide,

Just left a great blues bar in Nashville : http://www.bourbonstreetblues.com/

This 14 year old kid from Cincinnati who still wears braces tore the roof off the joint with his beat up Stratocaster during open stage night.Good times.

2 questions:

I’ll hang up and listen.

1. If MacT hires Greene he’s on his own.
    2. Gord could, but he’d just wait for it to cool, having no real way to trick himself. Ah, the trap of Gords!

Chris:

Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, Stone Temple Pilots, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, Tesla, Cake.

Yeah. And of course my kids have music all over the house. Gorillaz? I’ve heard them a time or two.

85. fifthcartel says:

“Q: What are the chances of Darnell Nurse making the Oilers next season or does he need another year to develop? If the Oilers are fortunate to get Aaron Ekblad in the draft, what changes do you foresee next season? I can’t imagine Ference, Schultz, Marincin or Klefbom going anywhere.

(Allen Wong)

A: I can’t fathom an NHL blue-line with Marincin, Klefbom and either Ekblad or Nurse on it at the same when they are so green in terms of NHL games, but maybe I’m old school. Nurse has another year of junior eligibility, which means he makes the Oilers or goes back to the OHL. He can’t go to the Oklahoma City farm in the American Hockey League. Ekblad, all the scouts say, could play in the NHL right away because of his six-foot-three, 210-pound size. Again, that would be three of the top six with about 50 career NHL games in Marincin, Klefbom and Ekblad/Nurse. That’s a reach to me. Ference and Schultz are givens. I’d say Jeff Petry is, too, and the Oilers definitely will be trying to sign a tough defenceman like, say, Deryk Engelland or Matt Greene. I’d say Mark Fraser is iffy to return. Abrasive for sure, but his foot speed is questionable.

Oh my, it’s the Matheson double whammy mention with Greene AND Engelland. If only he somehow threw in a Stafford mention he could of completed the hat-trick.

86. stevezie says:

Q: Why, when people mention the “young D”, do they speak of Schultz as if he was an established veteran? Can we be that much more certain of his future performance than Marincin?

87. bendelson says:

LT,

1. Can we pencil in Grant Fuhr as goaltending coach next season?

2. When does your first book come out?

3. Who is starring as Allan Mitchell in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life?

88. RexLibris says:

If there are 364 un-birthdays, what does that equal in dog-years?

stevezie:

Schultz plays 10 years like this he’ll stillbe a young D. Is our children learning? No, apparently.

bendelson:
    LT,

1.Can we pencil in Grant Fuhr as goaltending coach next season?

2.When does your first book come out?

3.Who is starring as Allan Mitchell in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life?

1. Fuhr will be golf pro
    2. If I ever get rich, I’ll write a book on the 1967 expansion draft. My kids will buy it, and my wife will use both copies as door stops.
    3. Jed Clampett.

RexLibris:
    If there are 364 un-birthdays, what does that equal in dog-years?

Cactus!

92. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I trade for more experience if we’re talking O’Reilly or Couturier.

I think those two have to be the primary targets this off-season… ahead of Reinhart or Draisaitl. I like both those players better than Dubinsky or J. Staal or overpaying for Spezza. Solving the 2C problem would be a big step forward.

Snider’s the Mad Hatter host of this draft. Doesn’t mean we’ll pick something up for ten shillings and a sixpence, but we might see a fine rendition of musical chairs.

93. Hammers says:

Lowetide: 1. If MacT hires Greene he’s on his own.

Actually in this instance I disagree with both of you .Green as a 6-7 “D” works as his also RH . The key is him getting a top LH “D” to play with Schultz . That maybe Myers . What do we give to Buffalo perhaps our 1st + Petry or Gags for Myers & Stewart .

94. bendelson says:

Lowetide: 1. Fuhr will be golf pro
    3. Jed Clampett.

bendelson: As long as you find a way to include a full account of your camping ‘box’ story in the book, you are golden my friend.

96. bendelson says:

Lowetide: Ha! Man. I still remember being so excited, while my Mom was swearing a blue streak at my Dad. The 60s!

The thought of the Mitchell family in that box (minus Mom of course!) is nothing short of an absolute laugh riot.
    Simply incredible story LT.

97. Lois Lowe says:

I think I the Oilers are shooting for a Staal, see if Eric wants a change of scenery.

98. jb says:

No one thinks the pick might be dealt? I think we’re in danger of an endless rebuild to be honest.. Time for a ballsy move or two.. No more development at the nhl level..

Lt, can the oilers pull a Colorado with the right moves next year?

99. dangilitis says:

In response to someone’s statement on the previous thread, I don’t think Bucky has been the problem, nor Smith, but they certainly have not been the solution. By all means, fire them. But if one thinks that the firing the assistant coaches helps the Oilers become a playoff team in and of itself, that’s delusional. It is one of many things that need to change amongst team leadership, but not nearly the most important.

Everyone here knows Trotz was let go. Most voters on Edmonton Journal, who supported Eakins fairly well in a previous poll, changed their tune when they were asked whether Trotz would be better than Eakins. I was personally giving Eakins a short leash early next season, but keeping my ear to the ground over the summer for better coaches.

The questions I have are: why would fools like Matty be so quick to dismiss Trotz as a coaching replacement? Is he not a better candidate, both now and in the future? Is “coaching carousel” really a good enough excuse to keep Eakins, while everyone is canning Bucky and Smith in the same breath? Should we not bring in the best coach to lead this team? Or do people really believe that Eakins is more likely to right this ship than Trotz?

My thought process in defence for Trotz over Eakins:
    - I don’t think Eakins has the courage of his convictions, as he bailed on his system when the pressure got too great, rather than calling a spade a spade (Dubnyk needed to go back to the beach to practice catching balls). Which sucks for a guy who purports this quality as his major selling point.
    - Eakins gets a lot of little things and says the right things, but his team did not execute these things.
    - Eakins reportedly slows the pace down in practices to a standstill to belabor details that young guys do not seem to be registering.
    - Eakins was recently quoted as talking about modeling his coaching style after Barry Trotz. Trotz coached Eakins in the AHL.
    - Trotz makes a comment about Dubnyk’s “bad habits” after arriving from Edmonton. Telling. Maybe more of an indictment of Chabot, but regardless…
    - Trotz generally squeezes more out of his team than he should get, both AHL and NHL teams. Under Eakins, the only NHL team he has coached has regressed when it should have gotten better.
    - Eakins models himself after Trotz. Trotz is Trotz.

Am I missing something here? Hire Trotz, right? Isn’t this simple? Eakins would probably approve of it, too (other than the whole losing his job issue).

100. hunter1909 says:

dangilitis: My thought process in defence for Trotz over Eakins:
    - Eakins models himself after Trotz. Trotz is Trotz.

Great analysis. Meanwhile, the actual team is run less like the above, with more of the “Katz thinks he’s a great partier” mindset.