BARONS V STARS, G1 AHL PLAYOFFS

No one could have predicted the turnover, the turmoil, the number of men who walked the tarmac of Will Rogers World Airport this hockey season. And ANYONE who suggested the playoffs as a possibility, even a few weeks ago, would have been questioned for sanity. We are here.

barons scoringIf you click on that you’ll get more than half of the players who skated for this team in 2013-14, it was a crazy crazy year. There’s every chance we’ll see some of the kids—Jujhar Khaira, Greg Chase, Darnell Nurse—and maybe that’s news too, hell men it’s hard to know just what is and isn’t in a season so far from normal.

Pre-game report is here. Eric Rodgers is a must-read here.

The Texas Stars are a tough damn team, but screw ‘em.  Stan Weir doesn’t like them, and that’s good enough for me.

weir

• Stan Weir was born in a log cabin that he built with his bare hands.
  • Stan Weir can lick his elbow.
  • Stan Weir puts the fun in funeral.
  • Big Foot takes pictures of Stan Weir.
  • Stan Weir once played 18 holes of golf using a 12 inch strip of rebar and a sun dried tomato. He shot a 54.
  • When Stan Weir crosses the street, cars look both ways.
  • Stan Weir speaks in CAPS.
  • Stan Weir won a pissing contest with a Russian racehorse.
  • Stan Weir doesn’t like the Minnesota Wild.
  • He thinks their uniforms look like puke and they have too many guys with funny names. Plus their fans look funny.
  • Stan Weir will bring us money and shapely, adventurous women with bad eyesight.
  • Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

62 Responses to "BARONS V STARS, G1 AHL PLAYOFFS"

1. Derek says:

You’ve been waiting so long to invoke Stan Weir for another playoff run and here it is!

Too bad its for the farm club.

2. Halfwise says:

Male sturgeon spawn best after coaching from Stan Weir.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

anyone find a link for the game. can’t find one. might have to radio it.

4. G Money says:

Stan Weir WILL mess with Texas.

5. steveb12344 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    anyone find a link for the game. can’t find one. might have to radio it.

Earl Weaver and the St. Louis Blues

7. steveb12344 says:

This is a poor man’s “underdog Oilers vs powerhouse Stars”

Can BTO channel his inner Cujo?

8. steveb12344 says:

Barons all over them early.

9. steveb12344 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: thanks!!

NP

10. steveb12344 says:

Nurse with the scrap against Glennie. Damn facepunchers! haha

11. striatic says:

are either Davidson or Hunt playing Forward?

all 3 are listed as being on the starting line up, where you would expect only 2 D.

12. VanOil says:

I am WEIRy let me rest, Playoff hockey is the best.
    Mr. Rodgers lit the way and the Stars goalie Nilstorp can not play.
    Nurse is fighting so Fraser is doomed. Expect him in the NHL way too soon.

A shorthanded goal against is way too familiar but it is waved off!!!

13. VanOil says:

The Summo’s on ice is great

14. John Chambers says:

The pope once told Stan Weir it was okay for him to have a mistress.

15. flyfish1168 says:

I watched Stan Weir play for my home town Medicine Hat Tigers. That is good enough for me.

16. steveb12344 says:

The stream is back up… Yay!

17. steveb12344 says:

Barons up 2-0 goals by Fyten and Hamilton

18. Nuckout says:

Stan Weir, the patron saint of the Barons playoff run. Amazing!

Barons up 2-1, through two periods. Oil Kings and Tigers tied at zero, poor performance by the OK in period one.

20. regwald says:

I have that exact hockey card autographed by the man himself.

Stan Weir

21. tcho says:

Fun watching CBJ come back against PIT. I admire PIT, but can’t help rooting for the underdog in that series.

22. Pretendergast says:

tcho,

Always feels better when its the other goalie pulling a dubnyk

23. Pouzar says:

OKC….paging Bill McDougall….paging Bill McDougall

24. Oilanderp says:

Stan Weir once took a leak in the river. 9 months later in every town downstream there was a population boom.

25. tcho says:

Pretendergast,

Don’t know what happened on that 4th goal, but if it went in clean that’s an embarrassment.

26. crude says:

This is the first Barons game I have ever watched. it’s great.
    Pinizzotto is a nut. He had a fight up in the bigs at the end of the season, right?

Nurse looking a young defender out there. Colour commentator said it was he who jumped on the ice to garner the too many men call.

Would be nice to see Arco out there tonight.

Seeing the Klef and Fedun real good.

G’OKC!

27. HiddenDarts says:

So… how exactly does OKC survive? There’s like 150 people in the entire arena in the playoffs!

Sad. Just sad.

28. blainer says:

I don’t know what the underlying stats are saying but Nurse is not looking good out there by eye. I sure was expecting more than this for someone who looked so good at camp.

29. VanOil says:

Great Bill Scott interview! Analytics are popular with him.

30. OilLeak says:

VanOil,

Indeed, sounds like a very smart individual. Good for him.

31. Derek says:

HiddenDarts:

Sad. Just sad.

Move the barons to Lethbridge. Fire the Hurricanes team, ownership and management into the sun

32. Chris109 says:

blainer:

I know he just came back from the flu and Nelson was saying on OilersNow that he lost something like 7-8 lbs…maybe not playing 100%?

33. Numenius says:

Barons lose in overtime, 3-2.

Bit of a rookie mistake by Oesterle on the OT goal.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

tough loss for the Barons. too bad the series isn’t 7 games. this was a real good chance to steal one.

got a nice lead and then a ton of PPs in the 2nd and couldn’t cash. let the Stars (spits) back in.

35. Lois Lowe says:

God once asked Star Weir for advice.

36. Younger Oil says:

Was there a reason given why Nurse and Oesterle were chosen to play over Gernat and Musil? I know all of them are rookies, but I’m still kind of surprised two players who are in their 5th professional game were chosen over players with 60 games under their belts for a playoff game. Especially if Nurse has been very sick.

Coach knows best I guess.

37. regwald says:

People have seen Lanny without his mustache, but no one has seen Weir without his beard.

38. HiddenDarts says:

crude,

Gotta love those St. John’s Ice Caps! Sold out for the season!

Makes you wonder what else there is to do there in the winter.

39. David says:

Brett Pollock with 2G 1A tonight in Oil King win. 13, 8-6-14 in the playoffs.

40. Andy P says:

Lois Lowe,

Stan Weir wore platform shoes around the house so his dick didn’t drag so hard on the floor

41. bendelson says:

HiddenDarts:
    crude,

Gotta love thoseSt. John’s Ice Caps! Sold out for the season!

Makes you wonder what else there is to do there in the winter.

Where are you from HD?
    Edmontonians probably shouldn’t make that joke without acknowledging the obvious…

I’ve just been spending time with an old friend, Robert Christgau.

He introduced me to so many great albums just this way back before FM radio came my way

THE JAM: In the City (Polydor) Here we find an English hard-rock trio who wear short hair, narrow ties, dark suits, and dirty sneakers, and also say “fuck” a lot. But in addition they sound rather like The Who Sing My Generation, even mentioning James Brown in one song. They also claim a positive social attitude–no police state in the U.K., but no anarchy either. Is this some kind of put-up job, pseudo-punk with respect for the verities? Could be. When they complain that Uncle Jimmy the “red balloon” (or is it “reveloo”?) never walks home at night, they’ve got his number, but when they accuse him of sleeping between silk sheets they’re just blowing someone else’s hot air. In the end, they could go either way–or both. In the meantime, though, they blow me out. These boys can put a song together; they’re both powerful enough to subsume their sources and fresh enough to keep me coming back for more. A MINUS

43. stevezie says:

HiddenDarts:
    crude,

Gotta love thoseSt. John’s Ice Caps! Sold out for the season!

Makes you wonder what else there is to do there in the winter.

The fans have been rewarded by seeing their team move. Ain’t no justice.

44. Cobbler says:

HiddenDarts:
    crude,

Lots to do in the winter in NL. Drink, eat, make love, play hockey, read LT and watch the Oilers until 2AM.

What else could you possibly need?

45. Pouzar says:

Hockey is so frickin huge in NL it’s silly. It really was a religion there growing up.
    It’s a damn shame St. Johns is so geographically challenged b/c they are starving for pro hockey.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve just been spending time with an old friend, Robert Christgau.

Never pay attn to lyrics. wasted effort IMO.

The Jam. Great band. thriving.

That Water Babies review is solid. right down to the tricky cover suggesting a more evolved On The Corner fusion sound.

Man that album is hot.

But you can understand why columbia would want to put out the back files from the sessions that created Water Babies. Miles had Tony Williams, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Chick Corea with him… might as well be the 84 Oilers.

47. Yeti says:

Jack DeJohnette and Billy Cobham on drums? If only Stan Weir had been available for the session it would have been perfect.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yeti:
    Jack DeJohnette and Billy Cobham on drums?If only Stan Weir had been available for the session it would have been perfect.

Tony Williams on drums.

his own stuff is nuts

49. Yeti says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

If we’re talking about On the Corner, think you might be mistaken about Williams, but perhaps you’re simply referring to the Water Babies tracks while I’m stuck on the Black Satin you posted. And yes, loved the Williams Lifetime grouping among others.

50. WeirsBeard says:

Lois Lowe:
    God once asked Star Weir for advice.

Trick question. Weir is god.

Nice try last night all, but sometimes words are not enough, and the Weir demands sacrifice.

51. raventalon40 says:

If Yakupov were to be healthy in the next week… should they… or would they send him to the Barons for the AHL Calder Cup Run? I dunno where he could help them (not defensively) but I think it would help him to play for a winning team and see what kind of sarcrifices these AHL guys are making in order to play for the cup.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yeti:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

haha… sorry. Yes. I mistakenly thought you were correcting me on WB.

You’re right on On the Corner.

I’ve got Lifetime on vinyl… it’s a great listen. the wife isn’t a fan.

nice to find another jazz fan around here!

53. russ99 says:

Our AHL club can’t be long for OKC with those attendance numbers – especially with this info out there:

They’ll have to do it with a group of affiliates, and to bigger cities, considering the issues with Abbotsford, which is why they’re moving.

I wonder where would the Oilers prefer to have their AHL club located? Could this be why they bought the ECHL Bakersfield franchise?

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:

I wonder where would the Oilers prefer to have their AHL club located?Could this be why they bought the ECHL Bakersfield franchise?

I don’t know what to make of the OKC attendance problem or how the Oilers and the affiliate view it.

But, I don’t think Bakersfield is the answer. I think Bakerfield is them committing long term to the ECHL and having a place for whomever Bob Green can find (like Holmberg) and buried prospects with upside (like Musil, Gernat).

They want a deeper development program and I don’t think Bakersfield is there to take over for the Barons.

55. Yeti says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ll admit that I prefer DeJohnette as a drummer to Williams, but hell, they’re both great. And that’s before I bring Trilok Gurtu into the conversation.

56. p2e2l says:

If Oilers are looking to relocate their farm team, why wouldn’t they look at a place like Saskatoon? Even Fort McMurray or Red Deer would sell out for AHL hockey, I think. Maybe more travel, but also players are more accessible to Oilers.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yeti:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m a big fan of the Peacock, De Johnette and Jarrett trio

58. Lynas1 says:

Definitely won’t happen but I’d never leave mile one if okc moved to the Rock. Also, there’s lot to do in NL. If you want exercise you can shovel st. John’s sidewalks. They don’t do it..

59. Yeti says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yes, great trio. I have a slight preference for the Holland, DeJohnette, Gazdic line … sorry … Holland, DeJohnette, Abercrombie combo (Gateway) but that’s just a sad bias towards guitars that plagues me.