BARONS V STARS, G2 AHL PLAYOFFS

As the winds whistle down the Oklahoma plains, the Barons are reaching a point where we can begin to discuss changes for next season. Local newspapers are discussing crossroads for the old hires, and the new men (like Jujhar Khaira, in photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved) are moving in and impressing the locals. It is, then, a “preview of coming attractions” even as the Texas Stars, a powerhouse built with hard steel and meant for a deeper run, prepare to level the youthful Barons.

Will the Barons answer back? Tonight’s the night!

BARONS IN THE PLAYOFFS

ahl playoffs okc

A few items worth noting:

• Curtis Hamilton is having a little run late in the season/postseason. Who knows if it’ll amount to anything.
  • Darnell Nurse started in game one, and impressed but also showed his youth. It’ll be interesting to see tonight’s lineup.
  • Anton Lander may be playing his last game at the Cox Convention center tonight.
  • Tend the Farm’s Neal Livingston is a brilliant writer. His Game One summary is top drawer. Livingston is a helluva writer, he really is.

53 Responses to "BARONS V STARS, G2 AHL PLAYOFFS"

1. flyfish1168 says:

Is there any reason why the Oilers did not send Yak down to the Barons for the last part of their season and playoffs?

2. hunter1909 says:

Moroz, Khiara – why do I like these prospects chances above the usual suspect suspects?

3. flyfish1168 says:

godot10: He probably wasn’t on the “clear day” roster.

To bad he could use some extra playing time.

Oops the clear day doesn’t exist anymore. I have to check what the new rules are.

From a quick perusal of the web, it appear that Yakupov was not eligible because he was never send to the AHL to be recalled after the NHL trade deadline.

i.e. I think an NHL player would have had to have been on the AHL roster at some point now to be eligible.

The more interesting case is whether Marincin was eligible or not.

5. Ducey says:

The whole team might be playing their last game in OKC. 1200 fans ain’t going to cut.

The Hawks are doing a lot of Hjalmarsson http://www.puckrant.com/slapshot/A_FINE_MESS

7. Marc says:

godot10:
    Oops the clear day doesn’t exist anymore.I have to check what the new rules are.

The more interesting case is whether Marincin was eligible or not.

A player has to be on the AHL roster at the trade deadline to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. It’s one of the reasons that Arcobello was healthy scratched, then sent down, when he was. He only had ten NHL games left before his waiver eligibility expired and they scratched him 11 games before the deadline, then sent him down after that game.

8. Marc says:

So to answer your question, neither Yakupov nor Marincin is eligible to play for OKC.

9. One-Timer says:

The photo for that article seems somewhat… compromising. I guess that’s the position they’re in.

Blues on both sides of the pond will have their hearts broken tomorrow as CHI downs STL and Liverpool puts an end to Chelsea’s title hopes. That match’ll be a beaut – 7am for the footies out there.

Book it!

10. gr8one says:

So, this is way off topic, but I’m currently watching the CBJ/Pens game and something about their lineup.

Their current lineup is made up pretty much entirely of the team that Scott Howson assembled.

The big moves made after he left are pretty much the trading away of Gaborik, who didn’t really bring back much to help them now, but actually would make them better currently if they’d have kept him, and the signing of Nathan Horton, who really has hasn’t had much of an impact due to an injury plagued season.

It took some time to come together for them, but man this team looks good, it’s a little sad Howson gets no credit.

Speaking of CBJ, RyJo is a perfect example of being patient with high draft picks. Don’t trade Yakupov MacT.

11. hunter1909 says:

Small players like Gagner with their peripheral play, as opposed to big players like Ryan Johanson, who can toss his weight around when needs be.

Take your pick.

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 4m

#OKCBarons lines: Horak-Lander-Pitlick Fyten-Stretch-Miller Hamilton-Acton-Eager Ewanyk-Khaira-Combs #oilers

13. rich says:

Horak from Lander, 1-0.

Breakaway goal by Horak. Like this guy.

15. mumbai max says:

hunter1909:

Take your pick.

Sadly it is not so simple. Not all small players play on the periphery and not all big players toss their weight around. Those dozens of pesky counter examples have a way of ruining these kinds of simplistic choices.

16. rich says:

Interesting that Klefbom is not playing tonight.

17. Hockeyman 99 says:

Anyone have the link for the game?

18. steveb12344 says:

Hockeyman 99:
    Anyone have the link for the game?

19. rich says:

Ok, Jim Byars just explained that there were injuries to Oesterle and Klefbom. Hope it’s not serious w/Klefbom (or Oesterle).

If anything, a reason to be very careful about trading d-men, what looks today like a solid group of young developing prospects can be thinned quickly by injury.

BTW, Jim Byars is a pleasure to listen to. Good voice for radio.

20. David says:

I’m cheering for Horak to make the team out of camp next year. There is a player there.

The Brett Pollock watch continues a goal and assist after two periods today. 14, 9,7,16 in the playoffs.

21. gr8one says:

steveb12344: http://88.80.11.29/

22. gr8one says:

rich:
    Ok, Jim Byars just explained that there were injuries to Oesterle and Klefbom.Hope it’s not serious w/Klefbom (or Oesterle).

BTW, Jim Byars is a pleasure to listen to.Good voice for radio.

Jeebus Klef is made of glass, I fear deeply that will be his downfall.

23. hunter1909 says:

gr8one: So, I used to use ATDHE a lot but the last time I used it I got a virus trying to get the video player to work…any tips for me to avoid this if I try again?

ATDHE can be spotty at times so whenever it acts up, keep trying other links until often the last one will work.

Just ignore the come ons, they’re all terrible and some are downright dangerous.

24. flyfish1168 says:

Any word how Oscar got hurt?

25. hunter1909 says:

gr8one: Jeebus Klef is made of glass, I fear deeply that will be his downfall.

Luckily Darnell Nurse beats other teams players up. So many reasons why these prospects flop, Oilers seriously need to keep everyone until they see them playing 2-3 years in the NHL.

For all the recent suck, the team is awash with defense prospects. Flushing them away for more older, “reputation” players is reefer madness.

26. rich says:

Khaira puts the Baron’s back in the lead.

27. hunter1909 says:

Nurse, Khaira, and Moroz will make a nice addition to the team one day.

28. hunter1909 says:

flyfish1168:
    Any word how Oscar got hurt?

He saw himself getting smacked in the mouth and decided to return to Sweden.

Khaira scores!

30. flyfish1168 says:

Interesting Greg Chase not dressed for tonights game

31. steveb12344 says:

On sites like that, the streams are either there or they aren’t.

Never click on anything else other than to close them.

They plaster all these banners all over the place telling you to update your video player, or whatever but they are just trying to trick you into clicking on them.

Just be careful what you click on, and don’t download anything and you should be fine.

32. flyfish1168 says:

Oil Kings moving on to next round

33. Halfwise says:

Stars tie in last minute. Off to OT.

34. Halfwise says:

And someone named Brodziak puts the Wild ahead. Pffft.

35. justDOit says:

I think the ‘download video codec’ is just a ruse. It is possible to click no/cancel through all that, and the video stream will work. At least, that was my experience – there was no way I was trusting that site’s analysis of my system’s abilities.

36. Halfwise says:

Avs tie it on an offside play. Fun to watch when it doesn’t matter who wins.

37. David says:

Pollock scored again. 14, 10-7-17 in the playoffs.

38. Halfwise says:

Texas wins in OT again. Depth and experience appear to have advantages.

39. Rondo says:

SJ fans are booing the team, imagine if their team was the Oilers not one person would come to the games.

40. Marcus Oilerius says:

Mackinnon with 2 points per game in the playoffs this far. 3 points tonight.

Holy moly, am I ever glad they’re not in our division any more.

41. Lois Lowe says:

I just noticed that Mitch Holmberg is playing in Bakersfield not Oklahoma. I wonder if the Barons are able to send players there in the event of a loss next game. Maybe only the ones on AHL/ECHL contracts?

42. misfit says:

Edler for the Oilers? http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/26/a-high-end-defenseman

That’s a nice list, but Staal would be the target for me, not so much Edler. The worry with Edler is that, like Yadle in Phoenix, he gets a pretty smooth ride as far as his role (especially ZS). The main difference is, he doesn’t get as good results. Both players could probably succeed with a tougher assignment, but they haven’t been asked to thus far in their careers.

Niskanen would cost only money and term, but the money and term he’ll command will be more than he’s worth. Another guy who’s been getting results, but doing so on the back of some pretty cherry minutes.

Tyler with his best work to date: http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6983#comment-350884

Oilers make a tactic change to increase face off winning percentage and it has a devastating effect on shot attempt ratio.

This is the type of analytics teams should be doing.

I highly doubt that many teams are getting this deep in analysis, including the ones that I know that use shot data to help with decision making.

That’s two major tactical changes Tyler has found that Eakins has made that had serious negative impact on the shot attempt ratio.

Not good.

44. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy,

Thanks for linking that, it’s a very good piece. I don’t share your pessimism regarding Oilers management, but maybe you’re right. Can you think of any reasons, similar to what Zach suggested, that would cause this? I haven’t a clue, really, but I did notice that they were losing possession in the zone soon after faceoff wins at a fairly high rate. Could it be that not all faceoff wins are equal? For instance, a faceoff win to a winger is harder to keep possession of than a faceoff win to a d-man? Perhaps the wingers are being exposed a bit here? Maybe they don’t execute their part particularly well in getting it back to the d-man? Maybe the d-man is exposed here? Maybe they aren’t making the right play after the winger gets the puck back to them? Also, sometimes it’s not clear to me who won the faceoff, but it gets credited to one or the other, even though possession changes back and forth quickly. I’m interested to hear what you think of all that, as this is the point where I have no insight, as I’ve never even been on ice-skates in my life; and therefore, never played ice-hockey (loved EA NHL though). I’ve seen ice, though! It lasts a few days here sometimes in December-January! So, I only have my game-watching to rely on, and I’ve not been savvy enough to dig in to this aspect.

theres oil in virginia,

You should read all the previous posts by Tyler about Anaheim and Boudreu’s coaching of OZ FO losses.

He creates a good base of info that helps in understanding the Oiler post.

Basically he showed that Boudreau had a significant impact on shot attempt ratio after a face off loss in WAS and then in ANA after he took over from Carlyle.

The crux was that after a OZFOL ANA sent 2 forecheckers immediately at the puck.

In one video sequence one forward goes directly at the puck carrier, one goes ahead of him, then the C drops back into coverage and the LHD pinches which results in 3 ANA players forcing the puck in the OZ and causing a turn over.

He contrasts that to TOR OZFOL where one forechecker goes at the puck, the other 4 players drop back into coverage and basically TOR gives their opponent a free zone exit.

Its all about preventing the zone exit and pressuring the puck for a turn over.

In terms of the Oilers, o see such a dramatic drop on shot attempt ratio go hand in hand with an increase in FO% leads me to think that Eakins had the wings (on RNH and Gagner’s line) focus on coming into the circle to win the faceoff.

If both wings are in the circle fighting for the puck, then when they lose the draw neither are in position to put immediate pressure on the puck AND/OR Eakins has them dropping back in coverage after a loss instead of 2 F skating forward.

I’d guess that Tyler will next bring up some video to support this, but its my understanding that his video archive is having issues.

– Frederic Bastiat

Substitute

Between a good coach and bad coach this constitutes the whole difference….

47. VanOil says:

godot10,

I admit your comments in general for the last year have largely been lost on me, as Krugers dismissal seemed to snap your sanity. No shame in that, as any of us following this team through this self inflicted long term suckatude are bound to reach are snapping point. This comment, though largely a quote, has redeemed your self as an intelligent commentator in my eye’s.

Fixing Eakins is the answer as we are stuck with him. Strangely I can accept that, but keeping the assistant coaches and face punchers who can’t coach or play hockey I can’t. We are equally stuck with them but like your views on Eakins the only way I can see fixing them is with pink slips.

Imagine a world where Renny was not fired for Tambellini’s incompetence or MacT did not go weak knee’d for Eakins and hired him for the Associate job he was interviewing for. Hopefully this summer Eakins chooses to study Dellow’s work, gets some help from Nelson (giving $$$ to compensate for not being given the head coaches title) and learns to stop putting out the fucking useless 4th line after a goal against in a fit of petulant stupidity that both you and I as petulant nameless blog commentators would be embarrassed about.

48. theres oil in virginia says:

Thanks Woodguy,

I’ve got the next article queued up. It’s extra-interesting to me due to the Boudreau tie-in. I figured he was a shit coach when he was in WAS, and I figured ANA was toast with him coming in as coach. That isn’t the way the story went, to say the least.

A couple of other thoughts related to the topic: (1) strategy factors in, but execution of strategy has got to factor in as well, (2) I wonder if the quality of defense helps determine the strategy in such a situation as OZFOL, as sending forecheckers hard could expose certain defensemen, while others can handle the heat that might come their way if the opponent breaks the pressure. Either way, picking the right strategy that fits the personnel would be good coaching, I would think.

49. spoiler says:

godot10: “In the department of economy, an act, a habit, an institution, a law, gives birth not only to an effect, but to a series of effects. Of these effects, the first only is immediate; it manifests itself simultaneously with its cause – it is seen. The others unfold in succession – they are not seen: it is well for us, if they are foreseen. Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference: the one takes account only of the visible effect; the other takes account of both the effects which are seen and those which it is necessary to foresee. Now this difference is enormous, for it almost always happens that when the immediate consequence is favourable, the ultimate consequences are fatal, and the converse. Hence it follows that the bad economist pursues a small present good, which will be followed by a great evil to come, while the true economist pursues a great good to come, at the risk of a small present evil”– Frederic BastiatSubstituteBetween a good coach and bad coach this constitutes the whole difference….

Bastiat should be taught in schools. Never happen as he conflicts with Statist propaganda, but damn we would be raising a whole lot fewer co-dependent socialists. 300 years hence and central bankers still don’t get that last sentence or the lessons offered by the assignat.

50. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: Bastiat should be taught in schools. Never happen as he conflicts with Statist propaganda, but damn we would be raising a whole lot fewer co-dependent socialists.300 years hence and central bankers still don’t get that last sentence or the lessons offered by the assignat.

51. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia: Oh, I think they get it. Remember, they’re at the center of the counterfeiting ring, where the benefit is the highest. Of course, most of us are somewhere near the outer edge, where the detriment is the highest.

Lol… well I wouldn’t want anyone here to think I was promoting conspiracy theory, but yes the Cantillon Effect is well-known and is surely being utilized with purpose.

Transferring economic power from Joe Average to the State and its elites by the counterfeiting you mention is the greatest ill done to democracy since common man got the vote.

52. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler,

Perhaps the greatest ill in the history of mankind, considering that the american war machine is funded by this mechanism. I’ve never heard it called the Cantillon effect, but a little browsing brought me Richard Cantillon and John Law and the Mississippi Company. Interesting stuff – I’ve got my evening’s reading. Thanks.