CANUCKS V OILERS, G82 13-14

In the beginning, they all look good in suits. The NHL draft provides young men every summer, and they’re all young and talented and fueled by dreams. It is a RARE item for a player and team to waltz through the next 20 years together, but in the case of Ryan Smyth and Edmonton that’s how the story told. We were lucky to have him these years, and he tells us the feeling is mutual. That 2006 team is high on my personal mantle of fan experience, Smyth is too. It’s going to be an emotional night, either due to the events we’ll see on television, or the events we don’t see on television. Either way, rock the casbah tonight if you’re going to the game. Celebrate a wonderful career, and a good man.

bailey2Josh Bailey

We chatted in the thread below about the forward group, the feeling is/was that Edmonton would be looking to add scoring in the offseason. I think the Oilers are better served by hiring three ‘two-way’ type forwards and allowing their current snipers more time in the scoring zones to make things happen.

Hear me out.

Let’s say the Oilers hook up with the Islanders this summer, trading Sam Gagner for Josh Bailey. He’s a winger currently, has been for a couple of seasons, but came up as a center and can play the position. So, let’s put him in Gagner’s spot and see how that looks:

• L1: Nugent-Hopkins—Hall—Eberle
  • L2: Bailey—Yakupov—Perron

Technically, you’ve reduced your offense. Right? There’s no way Bailey is Gagner’s equal offensively, hell Bailey has fewer points than 89 this season! However, you’re improving the look of the 2line, giving them more of a chance to gain and maintain possession. Bailey gives structure to Yakupov’s game, as does Perron, and allows the young Russian to wheel.

• The 1line scored 72 goals this season, plus whatever they do tonight. The Bruins big line of Krejci—Lucic—Iginla has 71 goals, so despite the criticisms in the previous thread, I don’t think the top line is a major concern. If you sprinkle some power-play success in there, maybe they pop 80+ goals, but if they manage this kind of production next season we shouldn’t consider it a poor year.
  • The 2line this year scored 49 goals, but I think we can agree there were issues. We’ll get into these themes during the RE series, but Dallas Eakins handling of Yakupov, Gagner’s injury and poor coverage, plus Perron’s quality season make it difficult to really see what we have here. The Bruins 2nd line of Bergeron—Marchand—Reilly Smith scored 73 goals, a tremendous total for a second line (you could argue it’s the top line). The improvement offensively for Edmonton has to come from the 2line, and I don’t think adding a pure offensive player is the right play. The reason a Josh Bailey (and I don’t care about the specific player, pick Hanzal in PHX if you like) makes sense is he’ll help the ‘what you leave’ portion of the game for this line.

The Oilers third line has been a mixed bag this season, but Boyd Gordon is the constant. He played most with Ryan Smyth and Matt Hendricks, and those gents scored 21 goals. It has to be mentioned that Hendricks has played on 32 games with the team, and that we have not accounted for Ales Hemsky’s 9 goals this season, but I don’t think the Oilers are very likely to have a third line who post 40 goals next year.

Let’s have a look at the 3line I proposed last night:

• Boyd Gordon—David Moss—Daniel Winnik

What I’m basically doing here is trying to find a 2002 Marchant line on a budget, and you have to give up offense if you’re going to stay under $7.5M for three veterans. If Edmonton can get a better scorer for this line, that’s great. If not, they’ll have to ride a better powerplay and an improved 2line to success next season. By the way, my third line scored 21 goals this season. I don’t think it’s worthwhile to spend big money on offensive types for the 3line. The Bruins 3line of Carl Soderberg—Chris Kelly—Loui Eriksson scored 34 goals this past season. That’s definitely beyond the Oilers unless a young player emerges from the pack and has terrific offense (this isn’t going to happen. A guy like Bogdan Yakimov or Jujhar Khaira might make the team but he’s not going to score 16 goals).

The offense-to-add for 2014-15 comes from the 2line. And the power play. The 1line performed well and the third line should be used to improve the GA next season.

ekbladIt’s easier to be an Oiler fan in the offseason than the regular year—man that’s a terrible but true statement—so we’ll role with draft talk and RE’s beginning next week. I’m hoping we hear about the Dillon Simpson signing soon, and of course we might see some coaching changes in the coming days.

Saturday Sports Extra will be on following Masters coverage today. Paul Almeida and I will be on approx. 5-7 this evening, with Masters chat, Smyth banter and we’ll argue about how to fix the Oilers. We’ll also welcome guests Paul Reinhart and Morris Lukowich in hour two of the show. TSN 1260, 5-ish.

I know cheering for losses is not popular, but this might be the night to do it. If Edmonton stays in 29th, they’ll draft 1, 2 or 3. Last night for Smyth, it’s crying time again.

318 Responses to "CANUCKS V OILERS, G82 13-14"

« Older Comments

2-0 Oilers, I don’t see them losing this game. #jinx

2. oliveoilers says:

VanOil:
    Linden might be blinking that much because the eye glass company he shills for poisoned his contact solution for leaving them.

Gotta love HNIC. “Grapes, what about Smytty’s final game?” “What about Trevor Linden?”

3. icecastles says:

Wow. Linden is a nice man and was a great hockey player, but he’s no MacT in an interview. That was like a charismatic version of a Tambellini interview.

Will Acton=Keith Acton.

5. icecastles says:

Will Acton=Keith Acton.

I think you ran Will Action.

6. whiskeytangoeberle says:

I saw Ryan Smyth at a grocery store in Bonnie Doon yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

7. book¡je says:

oliveoilers: Gotta love HNIC.“Grapes, what about Smytty’s final game?”“What about Trevor Linden?”

Don Cherry is clueless.

8. VanOil says:

Here is a hint for Linden, if Will Acton is running your show your not a good hockey team.

9. icecastles says:

I feel bad for Oilers fans watching this game and actually rooting for Edmonton to lose. I’ll never be able to understand that.

10. book¡je says:

2-0 Oilers, I don’t see them losing this game. #jinx

3-0 Book it

11. icecastles says:

book¡je: 3-0 Book it

12-0. Smyth with a hat trick hat trick in the third period.

Edit: So which one of us jinxed it?

icecastles:

13. VanOil says:

I am glad there is no recorded history on this blog of me pumping Matthias’ tires. I hate the guy now. Why can’t we have nice things.

14. stevezie says:

icecastles:

I agree out of principle. I will add that winning is actually the most practical option, as if we finish ahead of Florida they can take Ekblad ahead of us. This will:
    A) Allow us to avoid drafting a D in the top 5. It seems people are tired of repeating this maxim, but it hasn’t become any less true. And,
    2) If Florida takes Ekblad, it could make them slightly less attached to Kulikov or Campbell, both of whom would look great here (someone else pointed this out earlier in the thread, I am stealing your idea). Plus,
    iii) Finishing third last is less embarrassing than finishing second last.

I see the top four as a wash. If the Oil see Dal Colle as better than Bennet, well, so be it. Either way, I hope we win.

15. oliveoilers says:

whiskeytangoeberle:

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I saw him in PeaveyMart. He was buying burlap sacks and house bricks. I asked him if he had chores to do. He said he had to drop some really cute kittens off and feed the fishes. I directed him to the pet carriers and fish food, but he said he had all he needed. And you’re right. He made that girl scan each sack and brick individually.

16. Kitchener says:

5 points to Eakins

17. OilClog says:

VanOil:

Wanted him aswell, he has stated how much he wanted to be a Canuck though.

18. gr8one says:

I really like this idea of Larsen as a forward, I actually now hope they re-sign him and utilise him as that extra D/forward next year.

19. whiskeytangoeberle says:

Good idea, I’m going to celebrate Ryan Smyth day by killing kittens, thanks Donny Iveson.

20. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: I don’t think people actively cheer against their team, but the idea of winning a better pick is compelling.

Isn’t that like hoping a chlamydia test doesn’t come back with syphilis, when what you’re really should be rooting for is the all clear?

21. rich says:

Next best thing to scoring-Smytty getting in a fight w/Edler after a PP goal?!

Edit: Fight w/Kesler.

22. Kitchener says:

23. OilClog says:

Kitchener:
    Makes you wonder what the Oil’s record would have been if Smyth was named “C” instead of Ference.No disrespect to Ference – just a different feeling altogether.

having the same useless feeling, we will never know what “should of” been.

24. Ryan says:

OilClog,

C’mon a ‘c’ on the sweater of smytty wouldn’t have changed much.

Acton and Horak didn’t get the memo. Damn. Lol

25. theres oil in virginia says:

whiskeytangoeberle,

Wow. I wish I could meet Ryan Smyth and have him do that stuff to me.

26. Rondo says:

icecastles: ICE

Does it really matter, Oilers are so bad, whatever player they get they will ruin him. Best chance for the player is not play with the Oilers in their first season.

27. icecastles says:

Kitchener: Makes you wonder what the Oil’s record would have been if Smyth was named “C” instead of Ference. No disrespect to Ference – just a different feeling altogether.

It would have been a nice thing. I think the odds of it having made a difference on their season are about the same as the odds of Vancouver being called a classy organization.

28. icecastles says:

Did she honestly just call a surfboard a “paddle board”? Oh, you fucking prairie people.

29. oliveoilers says:

Wait for it, Healy just about to implode…..

30. book¡je says:

icecastles:

31. OilClog says:

Ryan:
    OilClog,

C’mon a ‘c’ on the sweater of smytty wouldn’t have changed much.

Acton and Horak didn’t get the memo.Damn. Lol

No, probably not. But they haven’t had this fire once this season with our current Captain :)

32. Rondo says:

book¡je,

What happens when Oilers win the Lottery from the #3 spot.

33. Gret99zky says:

I truly hope Sportsnet makes sweeping changes to HNIC.

That CBC crew is brutal.

Bru. Tal.

34. Gerta Rauss says:

icecastles,

I wasn’t really paying attention but stand up paddle boarding is a thing

35. stevezie says:

book¡je,

You’d be amazed what I’ll let pride get int he way of.

36. OilClog says:

book¡je: It’s simple – the game is meaningless. The pick has an actual impact. I’ll never understand how people let simple pride get in the way of strategy.

Omg!! were going to pick 3rd and not 2nd! Everyone burn everything!

Healy doesn’t know that Maricin, Schultz, and Petry are all YOUNG defencemen

G(Money) didn’t point out how you never take defencemen that high.. No I swear that hasn’t happened.

We weren’t suppose to win the Yakupov draft either.

Omg!! 3rd! We can’t pick 3rd! It will be the end of us!!

37. Ryan says:

theres oil in virginia:
    whiskeytangoeberle,

Wow.I wish I could meet Ryan Smyth and have him do that stuff to me.

38. oliveoilers says:

Is like the impact the last 3 #1s have had? The thing is, winning and losing isn’t a switch to be flicked when you feel like it. Sure, you can play to lose a game, series, season and guarantee that loss.

But when you decide to start winning, can you guarantee the win? The other teams might disagree with you and think THEY’RE actually entitled to win. That’s one reason you ALWAYS play to win.

39. Gerta Rauss says:

I can never tell if you are being sarcastic or not but I don’t see it being that big of a deal this year. The top 4 players are pretty much a wash..we’re going to get one of those top 4 and I hope it’s a C

40. Ryan says:

80 points for hall?

41. Gret99zky says:

Vancouver looks to be trying to improve their drafting position.

Hoping Carolina will pass them.

42. icecastles says:

Strategy to you means gunning for a lottery chance at a higher pick, not a guarantee of a higher pick. A pick only one position higher. Where there is little clear separation between the top prospects. A pick where none of them are being called slam-dunk franchise players. A pick who may or may not turn out to be any better than the other top picks. Who regardless, won’t be able to help out in a significant way for several years.

Good strategy.

The old “top picks are a guarantee of future success and winning games is a switch we will just decide to throw one day.” How’s that worked so far?

Tambellini called; he wants his schtick back.

43. Halfwise says:

Lowetide: Denis Potvin, as a junior, was pretty much God.

Truth.

In football our QB would hand him the ball, and he’d get 7 yards before the other team could get enough tacklers on him to bring him down.

As a 67 he was a mutant. Capable at 15. Dominant later.

44. book¡je says:

I can understand the players pushing to win, but a loss would have been better. With that said, there is something great about destroying the Canucks.

45. Kitchener says:

Win or lose we get a top prospect who shouldn’t be playing in the NHL next year.

C, C, C, D – take your pick. I’d take a C.

46. book¡je says:

icecastles: Strategy to you means gunning for a lottery chance at a higher pick, not a guarantee of a higher pick. A pick only one position higher where there is little clear separation between the top prospects and none of them are being called slam-dunk franchise players. A pick who may or may not turn out to be any better than the other top picks. Who regardless, won’t be able to help out in a significant way for several years.

Good strategy.

?? So the second pick isn’t better than the third?

47. fifthcartel says:

80 points for Hall.

48. Gerta Rauss says:

fifthcartel:
    80 points for Hall.

Spectacular

49. book¡je says:

What is the benefit of winning this game that works out to being more significant than moving up a position?

50. Rondo says:

So the Oilers will probably pick #4.

51. Ryan says:

book¡je:

Rhetorical question? C’mon we’re Oilers fans, we know the deal.

Losing tonight would have been short term pain for long term gain.

52. icecastles says:

book¡je: ?? So the second pick isn’t better than the third?

1) The second pick wouldn’t be guaranteed.

2) No, we don’t have anything approaching conclusive evidence that in THIS particular draft, the second pick is better than the third. In other draft years, the case may be different. to this one.

3) In an overall strategy, I can hope for a higher draft pick. I will do that by hoping they beat the odds on the lottery. But I will never, ever, call myself an Oilers fan then hope they lose any game, for any reason.

4) I wanted it to look like I had four reasons.

53. book¡je says:

Really, it’s too bad Florida lost.

54. Gret99zky says:

book¡je:
    I’m not sad they are winning.It’s just interesting to me how people let emotion override logic.

Given the last 8 seasons, Spock wouldn’t cheer for the Oilers.

55. icecastles says:

Cheering against your team so they have slightly better odds in a lottery where the prize is in itself another gamble.

56. Ryan says:

Gret99zky: Given the last 8 seasons, Spock wouldn’t cheer for the Oilers.

Nicely done.

57. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Strategy is starting a weak goalie. Then the players can hustle and the fans can cheer in good faith.

Thank goodness we don’t have strategic goalies any more. Oilers still behind on shots tonight.

58. icecastles says:

book¡je: I’m not sad they are winning. It’s just interesting to me how people let emotion override logic.

You know we’re talking about sports, right?

59. book¡je says:

icecastles:

That’s really sweet noble.

60. Rondo says:

Ryan: Nicely done.

Ryan,

Kobayashi Maru

61. Ryan says:

icecastles: You know we’re talking about sports, right?

Marsellus: The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That’s pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.

62. book¡je says:

icecastles: You know we’re talking about sports, right?

Fair enough, no one logical would be watching.

63. Kitchener says:

Ryan,

Spock in ST6 “Logic, logic, logic… logic is the BEGINNING of wisdom”

Math and logic are good, but Kirk was the Captain.

64. Rebilled says:

Of course they’re gonna win this game. Of course Florida lost. Of course…

Because Oilers.

65. book¡je says:

66. Kitchener says:

Here’s something we can all agree on: it sure is nice to see Vancouver in chaos.

67. icecastles says:

book¡je: Fair enough, no one logical would be watching.

Haha there’s sad truth in that. I guess this is what it comes down to for me though: if we take a totally rational, dispassionate approach, there’s not really any good reason to even watch sports. At best, we would decide to cheer for a better team than remaining Oilers fans.

So no matter where we are on the spectrum, “reason” and “logic” aren’t things we could possibly argue that we apply consistently to our fandom unless we have considerable financial investment in the game (in which case we’d be idiots to bet on the Oilers anyway).

So I am happy an unconflicted in simply cheering for them to win the individual games, especially against a team I hate so very, very bitterly.

68. icecastles says:

book¡je: Ice – saw the deleted comment – the sweet thing was just a joke. That’s all. Not really being that serious here.

I figured. And I figured I was being an ass, so I withdrew it.

69. book¡je says:

icecastles:

It’s not gambling when you lose nothing of value.

In any case, I am enjoying the points by Hall and seeing the Canucks very sad. A resounding win like this has some benefits with regards to the attitude of the team and possibly FAs.

70. icecastles says:

book¡je: It’s not gambling when you lose nothing of value.

I know, but it’s not as funny if I acknowledge that.

71. Ryan says:

Rebilled:
    Of course they’re gonna win this game. Of course Florida lost. Of course…

Because Oilers.

Was there any doubt?

72. gcw_rocks says:

Like I said, only the Oilers could screw this up by winning tonight. This team can’t even lose right.

73. book¡je says:

icecastles: I figured. And I figured I was being an ass, so I withdrew it.

No worries, it’s hard to get the intent sometimes and my first comment about emotion and logic was a bit prickish. Let’s hope they win the lottery and Ryan Smyth gets a goal.

74. Ryan says:

gcw_rocks:
    Like I said, only the Oilers could screw this up by winning tonight.This team can’t even lose right.

Like I said, after 2007, you had to know this is how things would play out tonight.

75. frjohnk says:

They beat the Canucks and smytty goes out a winner. Whether we draft 1st or 4th does not matter much. Are any of these guys “franchise players”? Probably not.

Thanks Smytty

76. Gerta Rauss says:

For a minute there I thought the Canucks were coming back on the ice to rumble

/jk

77. icecastles says:

Okay, this is emotional. Wow.

78. book¡je says:

Smyth really slacking on the back check on that goal.

79. oliveoilers says:

It’s really smoky in my house, and the wife just started peeling onions…..

80. book¡je says:

Has any significant Oiler actually retired here?

Lowe I guess?

81. Rondo says:

book¡je,

I wish Lowe would retire

82. oliveoilers says:

83. oliveoilers says:

Gret99zky: Given the last 8 seasons, Spock wouldn’t cheer for the Oilers.

Dr or Mr?

84. icecastles says:

oliveoilers: Foe a moment, I thought the Canucks were doing the decent thing and coming back out to get KOd one by one.

Comment of the night. :)

85. book¡je says:

Strange game, all that mattered was Smyth and maybe Hall’s point count.

86. Nostradumbass says:

I remember in 96 I was at the first game of the year against Buffalo and there were high hopes for Smytty.

He had only potted 2 his rookie season but you saw hints he hand tons of game. Lots of chances, lots of hustle, just needed to adjust to the speed.

First game of the year against the Sabres and Ryan takes a breakout pass, flies down the wing, squeezes by the defender who tried to put his hip into him and takes it in cleanly for a goal.

It was magnificent…and then a few days later he get a hatrrick against the fucking Leafs..the Leafs!

The love cement for #94 dried fast in 96

87. oliveoilers says:

Ryan: Rhetorical question?C’mon we’re Oilers fans, we know the deal.

Losing tonight would have been short term pain for long term gain.

How long term are we talking here? 8yrs?

88. book¡je says:

Bohologo:
    Retire that sweater.

Absolutely agree!

89. Rebilled says:

Rondo,

I wish Lowe was…somewhere else. Some birds aren’t meant to be caged, their feathers are too bright

90. oliveoilers says:

Tortorella showing why he should be replacing Grapes on HNIC next season.

91. Gret99zky says:

Thank God this season is mercifully over.

92. oliveoilers says:

book¡je: Absolutely agree!

seconded and thirded!

93. Numenius says:

It’s not pride, it’s honour as opposed to small-minded utilitarian calculation.

94. dangilitis says:

OilersNation asked a few days ago about your favourite memories of Smyth. I thought I’d re-post my thoughts -

The player: 1) 1st career hat trick in 96-97 season (I remember reading the journal the next day, and realizing he had already scored more goals that night than he had done in his entire rookie season…) 2) Vintage Smytty amongst the lunch pail crew taking out Dallas and Colorado. 3) Toothless Smytty doing his best Gretz impression in his office, setting up Horcs for triple OT winner against SJ (my favourite Oilers all-time game/favourite Oilers game I have attended). The whole 05-06 run, including watching Smytty score game winner live Game 3 SCF in classic style (banked off body), only to listen to post-game jokes about his slapper being weaker than most players’ wrist shots 4) Oct 2006 – watching Smytty break Gretz’ fastest hat trick record (as an aside, I went to the game with my sister-in-law’s lame-ass Flames-loving boyfriend. After the 2nd period, with the Oilers down 3-1, I believe, I made him wear the Oilers hat to get the luck going in our favour, and naturally, let him throw the hat after the trick was completed) 5) 2007 – playing unheralded role setting up Hemsky for his infamous come-back goal against Dallas.

As a human being: 1) Watching him wear his heart on his sleeve time and time again – many stories, but watching him at the airport the day he was traded was bone-chilling 2) Pre-game ritual with the pucks 3) All the charity work he has done and continues to do around the city 4) Signing jersey for me with personalized message 5) Meeting him in the Phoenix airport after he was traded back, where he and his wife were nothing but humble and gracious individuals (also told me my 2 year old daughter was cutie!)

Despite what fools think, he is retiring at the right time, and was not past his best before date. His last few years here would have been much more productive if the team around him was better. Hemsky is living proof of that.

Will be sorely missed. Only regret is that he could not deliver on his promise at the airport to bring the cup back to where his heart has always been.

95. book¡je says:

Torts interview is really killing the buzz.

96. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

book¡je:
    Strange game,all that mattered was Smyth and maybe Hall’s point count.

Only Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Tavares and Stamkos are ahead on pts per game at this point.

97. Kitchener says:

Ryan Smyth night. I feel like I just ate an entire chocolate cake.

98. Rebilled says:

94 shots of beer in 94 minutes. Go!

99. dangilitis says:

And haha about Linden. My wife and I were watching him and I said to her 2 seconds in, “am I crazy here or is he blinking excessively?”. By the end of the talk we were in stitches, trying to count the number of blinks he had between MacLean blinks. Couldn’t concentrate on anything he was saying (which was Canucks talk any ways, so probably irrelevant…)

100. Lois Lowe says:

I wept.

101. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan: I haven’t ran into too many Oilers over the years, when I have like any celebrity I’ve ran int, they usually give me that friendly look that somehow says, “Yes, I’m that person that you think I am, appreciate it though if you don’t bother me.”

Seriously, if I ever see Ryan Smyth in the grocery store, bothered or not, he’s gettin’ a hug.

102. Factotum says:

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

——–

Thank you Smytty.

103. oliveoilers says:

Factotum:
    Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

——–

Thank you Smytty.

Nice. Ulysses continuing upon his journey…….

104. PunjabiOil says:

Met Smyth back in 2005 at West Edmonton Mall. His wife was shopping at baby GAP store, got an autograph and briefly chatted with him.

He’s a guy who breathed and lived that Oilers logo. Classy as they come – Spector’s article today alludes that he’d send envelopes of $1,000 to trainers during the lockouts, knowing they’d be tight on cash.

Thanks for the memories Smytty.

105. book¡je says:

I wonder if the conversation with MacT went something like “We would be interested in having you back, but primarily on the 4th line and probably only about 50 games – Are you sure you wouldn’t rather spend the time with your family as opposed to playing 2-3 minutes a game every second game?”

106. oliveoilers says:

book¡je:

A cynical person might say that. A true bastard would say “This season has been a disaster. There is ONE final thing you can do for us, if you’re a true oiler……”

107. Zangetsu says:

God I’ll miss him. His comments tonight gave me the feeling MacT said he wouldn’t resign him. It’s too bad he won’t be around to lead us back to glory.

108. commonfan14 says:

Zangetsu,

Hall immediately handing the Cup to a blubbering Smytty would have been the greatest thing ever.

109. stevezie says:

Rondo: Ryan,

Kobayashi Maru

110. stevezie says:

book¡je:
    Strange game,all that mattered was Smyth and maybe Hall’s point count.

Seeing Eberle’s “fuck” after he scored was the highlight of the game for me. That says more about Ryan Smyth than anything else.

111. book¡je says:

stevezie: JSchultz was a goal away from triggering a two million dollar bonus. That’s why he was going shelf on the pp with Smyth in front of the net.

I know, and Schultz passed up a really good opportunity to pass to Smyth.

112. commonfan14 says:

stevezie: You’re saying we should hack the NHL standings page and give the Panthers an extra win?

We don’t like to lose.

Wait…

113. Andy P says:

I see Smytty coming back as offensive Assistant to Head Coach Bucky in 2015.

Kitchener:

Makes you wonder what the Oil’s history would have been if MacT had chosen Smyth to be his captain rather than Ethan Moreau.

115. oliveoilers says:

Andy P:
    I see Smytty coming back as offensive Assistant to Head Coach Bucky in 2015.

I can’t wait to see all five skaters in the crease.

116. stevezie says:

book¡je,

I missed that play, but it was good to hear.

godot10,

I have longed maintained that Ethan Moreau’s legacy of a terrible captain is nonsense. I am maintaining it again now.

117. Jon K says:

I had the rare opportunity to go to the game last night and just wanted to chime in.

It was a really special game and evening at Rexall Place. The team, coaching staff, and fans really went out of their way to ensure Smytty had a memorable last game. Smyth sat at the end of the bench all night and had pretty free reign to call his shifts, regardless of what Eakins said before the game. His triple PP shift was a classic.

It was almost surreal to take everything in, and to think that we will never again see Smytty out there on the ice for an NHL game. In many ways, it was a much more significant event than seeing Gretzky’s last game, at least for this 31 year old Oilers fan.

He didn’t have the perfect career, never getting the cup and being traded over a pittance by some hockey executive, but he was in many ways the perfect Oiler in the post-dynasty era. If it were up to me his number would make it into the rafters.

Thanks for one last great memory amongst all the others, Smytty.

« Older Comments