DUCKS AT OILERS, G79 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers are showing signs of life. In their last three road games, the club’s 5×5 Corsi for % has been 45.6% (San Jose), 50% (Anaheim) and 50% (Phoenix). The Anaheim game saw the 1line go off, with Corsi numbers we’ve rarely seen from anyone this season. Can they repeat it tonight?

OILERS LAST 10 GAMES, SCORING

last 10 games, april 6

The right people are scoring, there just aren’t enough of them. A strong finish by the top line and any kind of help from the 2line should get the Oilers close to 30 wins (they have 27 now). In the last full season Edmonton played, the club won 32. Running this year’s total up close seems like the right thing to do.

It’s interesting to see the lack of any kind of offense from the 3 and 4 lines. Gordon, Hendricks and Smyth have combined for two points during this 10-game period, and Anton Lander owns a single assist. We talk a lot about the 2line C job, but a two-way winger with offense to play with Gordon is a pretty important add this summer.

FIVE LONG YEARS

lander11A conversation from last night’s blog around how long to wait on draft picks reminded me of the wisdom in waiting five years. One year ago, this blog was rife with comments like “none of MacGregor’s second rounders are going to do anything” and “these defensemen aren’t developing”—and tonight we’ll enjoy Oscar Klefbom and Martin Marincin in the best league on the planet.

Klefbom was taken 19th overall in 2011 and beat 10 first-round picks from that year to the NHL, putting him in the ‘right on time’ category—possibly better if you believe defensemen take longer to develop. Martin Marincin was chosen 46th in the 2010 NHL draft, and ranks inside the top 30 in NHL GP from that draft season. Ahead of the curve? Certainly, especially if you factor in quality of play.

This summer, we can make the call on 2009 and the key may be Anton Lander. He can’t score at the NHL level (so far), but he has improved his offense in the AHL. The other day, I broke out AL’s offense PP/SH/EV and got (43GP) 10-16-26 (PP) 0-0-0 (PK) and 8-14-22 (PP). Let’s compare that season over season:

• Lander EV in 13-14: 43, 8-14-22 .511
  • Lander EV in 12-13: 47, 8-8-16 .340

So, improvement. I still believe the Arco signing is a stumbler for Anton Lander, but there are some signs he’s improved at the AHL level. I think he might have an NHL career, but don’t think it’ll be in Edmonton.

SCORE ON THE POWER PLAY TONIGHT, SMYTH!

smyth moose jawWe’re cheering, Ryan. Always have.

366 Responses to "DUCKS AT OILERS, G79 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles: Didn’t Nirvana have track called I Hate Myself And I Want To Die?
    There was also an early Depeche Mode b-side called “I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead”.

Though I still really miss Private Eyes. Clap clap!

And this. So much. Wanted to keep him around just so I could post that after every goal.

I unironically love Hall and Oates.

I COULD go for that!

haha

spoiler: K-Bomb fought through three different puck battles, allowing time for the forwards to get back. Eventually a bad puck bounce put him off positionally, and he lost it at the blue line, but geez, it sure wasn’t for a lack of trying.

I have never before seen the sheer number of bad-bounce goals that have gone in this year.

Romulus Apotheosis: I unironically love Hall and Oates.

I COULD go for that!

haha

When I met my wife, Hall and Oates had a big hit called “I can’t go for that (no can do)”. I heard that a few damn times, radio and live! :-)

4. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I kind of feel that way, but also feel this team is the king of multiple stupidity on many plays.

True dat, but there also has to be some regression to the mean next year as far as bad puck luck goes.

5. icecastles says:

Good gawd. I have finally found the people who actually listen to K-Rock. Or whatever the classic rock channel is called in Edmonton. Think it’s K-Rock.

6. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I unironically love Hall and Oates.
    I COULD go for that!
    haha

7. Pretendergast says:

TSN announcers are bollocks, hall is a 2nd team allstar for sure

8. Andy P says:

icecastles: You should have been on here toward the end of the 2008 season, Rom. It was Hall and Oates Heaven. Back when the glorious future of the Oilers was Gagner, Cogliano and Nillson. Jesus, that’s a long time ago now.

I wonder how different it would have been with a better Offensive Assistant.

9. hunter1909 says:

They were a bad team last year, they are a bad team this year, and management seems to guarantee everything but what it promises.

Next season it will be a heroic battle for 10th in the West/20th overall.

10. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I unironically love Hall and Oates.

I COULD go for that!

haha

Only if Hall gets, “You Maka My Dreams”. Quite an earworm that one. Vocals kick, and the groove – grooves.

11. icecastles says:

Andy P: I wonder how different it would have been with a better Offensive Assistant.

Not much. Oilers finished on a high with some incredible luck and shooting percentages. On that big run at the end of the season they were brutally outshot mr games than not. Cogliano is finally developing into an NHLer after years of being barely marginal. Gagner is divisive to put it lightly, but nobody would confuse him with a superstar or even a star player. And Nilsson has been out of the league for years. The defense had some great veterans, but almost all were nearing the end of their careers.

It was a fun stretch and an exciting narrative, but that team was never going to turn into a winer, or even a .500 team.

12. oliveoilers says:

Pretendergast:
    TSN announcers are bollocks, hall is a 2nd team allstar for sure

These guys are nuts. Sitting on there and saying “I know Kunitz plays with Crosby, but Hall’s just not in the same league.” At least Duthie raised an eyebrow and stuck up for Hall. Duthie even gave them a get out: “So, what is it, not enough goals?” And they were too dumb to take it. Just “Chris Kunitz” in a “Matt Damon” way.

13. spoiler says:

My music votes go to Kiss, Portishead and Morricone.

14. alice13 says:

icecastles:

And melancholy. This is the Oilers we’re talkin’ about!

2013-14:
    Reconsider Baby

2015:
    Gimme Danger

15. Pouzar says:

Truculence!

16. hunter1909 says:

Pinizotto looks like Travis Bickle.

I’d keep him on the roster. And flush Ryan Smyth.

Eakins looks like Marty McFly.

17. icecastles says:

oliveoilers: These guys are nuts. Sitting on there and saying “I know Kunitz plays with Crosby, but Hall’s just not in the same league.”

Best part was when he acknowledged that Kunitz plays with Crosby and that it’s a MASSIVE factor in the point totals, but then brushed it aside because it didn’t fit his pre-arrived at conclusion.

I was sad for the pending loss of TSN next season, but these guys aren’t making a strong case for their understanding of or insight into the game.

18. magisterrex says:

Another vote for Punk Floyd, here. But I can see Hall & Oates as the basis, too. Not sure if I’m for seeing all that hair, though.

19. thurmtim says:

Speaking of music, if we’re reminiscing about Tambellini at any time might I suggest Mike Rutherford’s Smallcreep’s Day? Might al;so do for Bettman in a pinch…

20. spoiler says:

Of course there will be no high stick called on that play.

21. icecastles says:

alice13: Well it’s not about making up a playlist. You need One artist with enough song titles to give pithy headlines to 30 or so articles.

I think they call that a playlist.

22. hunter1909 says:

Anyone who can’t see that Petry’s tough doesn’t know anything.

23. Minister D- says:

Look at “soft” Jeff Petry engage and lay the body on Smith-Pelly, receive a stick in the craw for his troubles, and take it like a champ. SO SOFT.

24. spoiler says:

I also forgot Bon Jovi and The Human League.

25. spoiler says:

Hall slips one in there like a pimp sliding a drug dealer a quick fin.

26. John Chambers says:

Hendricks just beat up a far bigger man.

27. icecastles says:

Holy hell, I did not anticipate Hendricks winning that scrap. Maroon’s a giant.

A goal and two won fights… that means it’s 3-1 Oilers now, right?

spoiler:
    Hall slips one in there like a pimp sliding a drug dealer a quick fin.

After the first ten words, I thought you were going somewhere way nastier with that.

28. rich says:

Nothing wrong with Pink Floyd.

Nor Taylor Hall with that goal.

29. Pouzar says:

Taylor Hall good at hockey and stuff

30. Andy P says:

nice to see us with enough “grit” to stand up to their toughs with players who can also play a bit.

31. Pouzar says:

Gamecenter live waaayy ahead of TSN…weird

32. cc says:

What a selfish play with 94 right in front!

33. icecastles says:

rich:
    Nothing wrong with Pink Floyd.

Running through their catalogue in my head, Pink Floyd could provide a lot of pretty good material. And at least somewhat less pedestrian than the other suggestions tossed out so far.

34. Minister D- says:

Seeing Lander bad tonight. Awful shift.

35. jake70 says:

spoiler:
    Hall slips one in there like a pimp sliding a drug dealer a quick fin.

36. icecastles says:

If Aneheim gets up 6-1, they should just pull their goalie for the start of the next Oilers PP and let Smyth skate one in. It’s the only way this sideshow is going to end.

(Smytty is my all-time favourite Oiler but goddamnit, just score your goal already)

37. rich says:

Bad as the TSN studio guys are, Mclllenan has a point – particularly with how in the defensive zone, forwards are getting caught. Instructive how many times you’ll see Anaheim outnumbers the Oilers down low.

For contrast, had a chance to attend a coaching seminar done by Barry Trotz and one of the video segments he showed (for about 20 minutes too) was how they didn’t want to get outnumbered below the face off dots in their own zone. Clip after clip what the Nashville coaches stressed.

38. spoiler says:

Prototypical Perron. Eberle’s turn next?

39. icecastles says:

Goddamn it Perron, thats not what we meant by leading the league in shorthanded goals. But I’ll take it.

40. Marcus Oilerius says:

Wait, the Oilers are allowed to score when shorthanded too? Who knew!

Oh Magnus, how I miss ye not.

41. Minister D- says:

Well LOOKEE, a shortie for the good guys.

If we’re going with Floyd, I humbly submit “One of These Days.” Thematically appropriate: as LT would say, we wait.

42. spoiler says:

jake70: Not to be Debbie downer but since Smyth has been looking for that PP goal to own the record, I thought that was his best position to do it, Hall opted to shoot. Not complaining too much mind you.

Ya wet blanket. Your real name isn’t Ron Low by any chance, is it?
    ;-)

43. John Chambers says:

Minister D-,

Yeah this guy is just not an NHL player.

44. hunter1909 says:

Montreal would probably offer a lot to get Perron.

45. jake70 says:

spoiler: Ya wet blanket.Your real name isn’t Ron Low by any chance, is it?

Ha! I think Smyth will be back next year anyway, so if he doesn’t do it this week, well, next year then. Hmmm…..next year…how Oilers.

46. sliderule says:

Taylor Hall is going to make team canada and CBC squirm in next few years.

Let’s not let them have convenient loss of memories.

Man I’m loving Marincin’s game. Young, he’ll make mistakes, but I’m convinced.

48. jake70 says:

hunter1909:
    Montreal would probably offer a lot to get Perron.

Perron for Subban? ;-)

49. Marcus Oilerius says:

50. spoiler says:

How the hell does Pinizotto get a penalty out of that?

51. DeadmanWaking says:

Woodguy: We are just on the cusp of finding out some really cool stuff about why things happen on the ice.

Excellent stuff. I know you’ve enthused about Tulsky in the past, as well. On this occasion, I’m feeling slightly voyeuristic.

Eric Tulsky (@BSH_EricT) is a hockey analyst who has consulted with the Nashville Predators and other teams. His work can be found at the highly respected website Outnumbered (www.sbnation.com/outnumbered) and has helped shape today’s landscape for hockey analytics.

He holds a B.A. in chemistry and physics from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in chemistry from UC-Berkeley, and his research has helped enable unique nanotechnology solutions to problems in DNA sequencing, solar energy, displays, and energy storage.

DNA sequencing gets you a long way into the right math. Sometimes I wonder how Claude Shannon and Andrey Kolmogorov and Jürgen Schmidhuber and Daphne Koller and Judea Pearl seemingly remain such closely-guarded secrets in so many disciplines. But not computational biology (or for that matter, computational linguistics). Nothing like staring into the abyss of a petabyte or an exabyte of highly-repetitive GATTACA Morse code to give a person a quick hit of mathematical religion. Judea is probably a mite less obscure now after winning the 2011 ACM Turing award. That rocked. He was on my dream team already.

I am an inorganic chemist by training. I have applied that training to industrial synthesis of novel nanomaterials for biological applications, including synthesis of cadmium-free fluorescent nanoparticles and development of new coatings for improved performance in a biological context.

I manage a group of five scientists focused on developing nanoparticles that enable a single molecule DNA sequencing platform. I also serve as the technical representative for nanotechnology on our program leadership team and am responsible for writing and managing execution of our nanoscience research plan.

That’s definitely not the front door, mathematically, but close enough. I expect I’ll soon get around to following everything this man writes.

—-

I just don’t get this puck tracking problem one bit. There are close to fifteen elite as-if-my-immortal-soul-depended-upon-it puck trackers on the ice at any given time (three with prison jerseys). All fifteen have forward-oriented eyeball physiology, and thus actually have to maintain a certain amount of physical orientation toward the puck at all times.

Ten of these fifteen elite puck trackers compute a non-stop differential equation predicting where the puck is going to go next, depending on who is most likely to win the battle for any loose or skittering puck.

First you simply track the player positions on the ice.

Then you construct for each skater a physically plausible continuous motion curve, respecting the laws of physics where applicable (velocity, acceleration, jerk, etc.) “Jerk” is also known as surge or lurch, as in “Sergei’s first stride left me in the lurch”.

After jerk comes “jounce”. Jounce is also known as “snap”. Those gifted the art of extrapolation can make a fair guess at the facetious name for the next two moments, of such high-order they never tumble out in the real world, unless the delicate amylose spume is lovingly coddled in BHT-impregnated waxed paper (yes, I’m that old); after adolescence–in about half the population–human neurology can detect no moment of higher order than jounce, by which point “pop” is considered to be so totally over the hill as to having become jounce impervious (but really, he’s just hiding it well).

Well, returning from this little foray into crypto-voyeurism, let’s get back to our continuous curves.

From the motion curves, one has a fair indication of where each players is looking at all times (constrained to about half of the playing-ice surface). Plus you know what locations they are actually skating toward.

Here’s the one tricky step. For each player, one needs to assign over time the correct coefficient of Keenanpoof. Is the player generally headed to where the puck has recently been (Keenanpoof=1) or to where the puck will soon arrive (Keenanpoof=0)? There are also a few who are generally headed to whatever open ice where the puck could least conceivably arrive (Cherrypoof=1), but these players are easily identified using conventional OTC statistics, we can neglect this for the present discussion.

One next reconstructs the path of the puck using some kind of PRML model, also duly constrained by physically plausible position, velocity, acceleration, jerk, and jounce; also according with any sharp cross-ice give-and-goes detected by our stone-aged visual analysis software.

The only case that’s going to need actual human observation is where the puck goes pinball off sticks, skates, posts, pads, and legs in a crowded phone booth, if merely knowing which players displayed enough compliance or foresight to position themselves inside the scrum of hotly contested territory isn’t already enough (I’m surely it’s mostly enough for the first pass).

No you don’t construct the players from the puck. You construct the puck from the players. Did the blue pill on FoxTrax teach us nothing at all?

—-

We watched Coppola’s Tetro last night, described by many critics as the second in a series of promising films from a seventy-year old filmmaker recently graduated from film school. That’s a bit too harsh. Kyle Smith is representative of this critical response:

The gorgeous look of this frazzled, fractured monster is enough to hold your interest, for a while at least, and Gallo radiates the appropriate level of crazy for his part.

Still, the more dramatic revelations and tragic inevitabilities that turn up, the harder it is not to laugh. Give credit to its maker for directing with an earnestness suggesting a pretentious 22-year-old. Having passed through the phases of Interesting Apprentice, Mad Genius, Chastened Bankrupt and Shameless Wage Slave, Coppola at 70 may be the world’s oldest student filmmaker.

I recall another comment was that it was hard to take this oedipal kitchen sink seriously. Allow me to pinch myself here. Were people in the time of Aeschylus imbibing the oedipal myth in all due seriousness? I suspect not. Well, perhaps in a culture where every young woman is knocked-up at fifteen, the prospect of intergenerational incest was as much of a pressing social issue as a mythic archetype blastula (hey, that almost rhymes with MAB).

Coppola doesn’t give a shit any more about being taken seriously. It’s in the movie. Chekov’s gun turns into an axe–an axe from nowhere–which fractures the narrative box, and then does nothing more.

Anyway, in one of the special features, Coppola says that the characters become the actors, not the other way around, as is conventionally depicted in acting school. For Coppola, the character is merely a suit of clothes which, once worn long enough, becomes natural to the person wearing them.

This is somewhat parallel to the divide between the old school of data reconstruction and the modern school of data reconstruction. In the old school, the puck implies the players, so you start with the puck. In the new school (still largely languishing in the obscurity of brilliance) it’s the players who imply the puck.

Don’t they?

Except perhaps Wayne. That guy, the puck just followed around for reasons not even the higher moments of Crackle and Pop could fully untangle.

52. spoiler says:

Maroon should be tossed after this.

53. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius: If we’re going Floyd, I’m sorry, but there’s no song more appropriate than Time. I know it’s almost cliche, but the clock started ticking on the core sometime this past summer.

Yeah, just a little…

…Waiting for someone or something
    To show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine
    Staying home to watch the rain
    You are young and life is long
    And there is time to kill today

And then the one day you find
    Ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run
    You missed the starting gun…

54. oliveoilers says:

hunter1909:
    Pinizotto looks like Travis Bickle.

I’d keep him on the roster. And flush Ryan Smyth.

Eakins looks like Marty McFly.

Hey, McFly! What’s the matter? You Chicken(Hawk)?

55. oliveoilers says:

icecastles: Yeah, just a little…

Kicking around on a piece of ground
    In your home town
    Waiting for someone or something
    To show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine
    Staying home to watch the rain
    You are young and life is long
    And there is time to kill today

And then the one day you find
    Ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run
    You missed the starting gun

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the Oiler Way!

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

57. spoiler says:

Almost Eberle. Schultz, from behind the net… where most Dmen score.

58. John Chambers says:

Don’t they realize Florida won today ?

59. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Just gotta say I’m very impressed how many H&O fans on here. Didn’t expect that.

I’m just surprised there’s no love for Kenny Loggins. Or Quarterflash.

60. Survioil says:

Urgency, truculence and the occasional hit. One can only wonder what this year could have looked like.

61. spoiler says:

Jeezus Perron, it’s freakin Maroon.

62. icecastles says:

The strange thing about so many of 89′s defensive -
    GOAL!!!

- okay as I was saying, the strange thing about so many of Sam’s defensive miscues is that they’re not so much a result of being too slow or small, lack of interest in the play (though this is an easy scapegoat for those who want to advance the narrative that he’s not a ‘real’ NHL player), ore even timidity (though this seems to factor in and can be explained somewhat by a brutal injury less than a year ago).

Rather, there seems to be some incredibly bad decision-making and lack of understanding of how the play develops and what his role is in it. He’s never struck me in interviews as an especially intelligent guy, but how can he misread plays and his assignments this badly this often?

Is he really avoiding physical puck battles out of timidity? Is it a lack of defensive understanding after this long in the NHL? I don’t understand it. No explanation so far seems to really explain it…

63. Minister D- says:

spoiler,

64. icecastles says:

End of 2008 season. They were playing ‘Private Eyes’ in the dressing room (very loudly) after every win and it became a bit of a meme in here. That’s where the “clap clap” reference comes from, and probably explains a lot the the H&O love.

65. spoiler says:

Minister D-: If I were running the Oilers, “Keep the Fire” would be the team entrance, exit, and victory song. To paraphrase (CD-) Rom up there: I haven an unironic — and deeply irrational — love of that particular Loggins jam.

Ha!

66. cc says:

jake70,

67. Andy P says:

spoiler:
    How the hell does Pinizotto get a penalty out of that?

Cos he’s not on the ‘Mercan’ team

68. icecastles says:

Minister D-:
    spoiler,

If you’re going Loggins on a young team like this, it’s all about “Playing With The Boys”. Or you could reference their defensive play and run with “(Highway to the) Danger Zone”.

69. icecastles says:

cc: Suban? We already have an offensive d-man that can’t play defense. Suban’s a bum

We were talking about PK Subban. I’m assuming you’re talking about someone else.

70. hunter1909 says:

“Highway to Hell” sums everything up nicely.

71. spoiler says:

Minister D-: If I were running the Oilers, “Keep the Fire” would be the team entrance, exit, and victory song. To paraphrase (CD-) Rom up there: I have an unironic — and deeply irrational — love of that particular Loggins jam.

My entrance would be “Dance!” by the Queen City Kids, and exit would be “Doesn’t Really Matter” by Platinum Blonde. Victory song is tougher, lemme think about it… I think I’d have to go with Streetheart’s cover of “Under My Thumb.” …Or anything by Shakira.

72. jake70 says:

icecastles:
    The strange thing about so many of 89′s defensive -GOAL!!!

73. Minister D- says:

spoiler,

74. spoiler says:

hunter1909: “Highway to Hell” sums everything up nicely.

Damn. I had you going with Simple Minds for the Oilers in the office pool.

75. justDOit says:

spoiler: My entrance would be “Dance!” by the Queen City Kids, and exit would be “Doesn’t Really Matter” by Platinum Blonde.Victory song is tougher, lemme think about it…I think I’d have to go with Streetheart’s cover of “Under My Thumb.”…Or anything by Shakira.

Penalty time – ‘Looks like I’m in Trouble Again’.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZzMX96fONA

I can’t believe we’re comparing QCK and Quarterflash to H/A.

76. spoiler says:

Minister D-: Wow, the Queen City Kids!! What a reference. Hilarious. First comment on the youtube vid for “Dance” is “this song would make a killer stripper song. This song kicks total fucking ass.” HAHAHA. Amazing.

That song Is on YouTube? Wow, that is amazing. QCK were going to come out with an 8-track of their music, but didn’t know what to do with the four empty tracks.

77. icecastles says:

jake70: Really being picky here (sorry Sam), but if you PVR the games, go back to last game vs. the Coyotes, at 12:12 left in 3rd and watch Gagner. This sequence really struck me. Not sure what he was thinking, gliding and staring.

I don’t PVR them, but I know the play you’re thinking of and I agree. Strange strange strange. It’s like there’s just a complete and total mental break that takes place and he has literally no idea what to do. It’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen regularly from a good hockey player, and in most regards I’d call him a good player.

78. hunter1909 says:

Why the hell would anyone buy shampoo marketed for men, since women keep their hair?

79. icecastles says:

How cynical do we have to be to make the team song “I Want To Drive The Zamboni”?

80. spoiler says:

justDOit: Penalty time – ‘Looks like I’m in Trouble Again’.

So not Jailhouse Rock?

81. icecastles says:

Damnit. Ryan getz no laffs from me.

82. spoiler says:

“Slip Sliding Away” is the song that comes to mind right now.

83. Minister D- says:

I’m properly a couple of w(h)ines in; how about this one? Too on the nose?

84. icecastles says:

This is all on you LT: as soon as you asked for musical suggestions, I knew this thread was doomed. :)

85. spoiler says:

Minister D-: I’m properly a couple of w(h)ines in; how about this one? Too on the nose?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dbEc6zvsDY

I don’t really know those Hanson Brothers, but I do recall The Hunter Brothers had a pretty fun variety show back in the day. Of course this was pre-Rene Simard Show, and post-Rene was a different, changed world.

86. Minister D- says:

spoiler,

I know not of what you speak. Sounds before or beyond my time. The Hanson’s are/were Canada’s Ramones. Rom should know these guys: as a young man with the occasional tendency to dye his hair green (so I’m told) and growing up in Victoria, it would’ve been his punk rock duty to see the Hansons at least once. Or their other band, No Means No.

87. spoiler says:

Although, I suspect the only reason Mick Jagger was on the Rene Simard Show was as a personal favour to Margaret Trudeau. Sort of a quid pro quo as it were…

88. icecastles says:

What a pleasure to watch a truly tense game late in the third against a top-tier.

I know all it will take is a loss for the revisionist historians to come out and the gnashing of teeth to start, but since the deadline the exciting games have far, far outnumbered the ones where the team was a no-show.

I’m truly excited about next season. Not because of yet another phenom appearing as a saviour, or because of a new coach or because of artificially inflated expectations, but because THESE players (well, some of them) and THIS coach have begun to gel and progress and look like a real hockey team for the first time in at least five years.

Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Perron, Fasth, Scrivens, Klefbom, Marincin… that’s a hell of a group to get excited about with plenty of secondary players to love. And any of those fellows getting shipped out are going to bring back real players, not distant faint hopes. Not that distant hopes aren’t important; it’s just nice knowing it’s not the only thing we have to cheer for.

89. Minister D- says:

Curious about Lander’s NHL corgis. I suspect they’re suspect. Perron, on the other hand: awesome.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:
    spoiler,

Yes, have some.

Yes, have some.

Lander is 44.9%, just a hair better than average Corsi Rel

92. spoiler says:

Helluva battle between K-Bomb and Palmieri in front of the net.

93. spoiler says:

And Eberle evens up the scoring race.

94. Minister D- says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Clortho for GM: then we could get our very own “LARGE AND MOVING TOR.”

Hmm! Thanks.

95. Rondo says:

Hiller gave Edmonton the game.

96. icecastles says:

Rondo:
    Hiller gave Edmonton the game.

Want a refill, Rondo? I see your half-full glass is half empty over there.

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

not stellar.

JW’s been doing the fenwicks on the farm. far more impressive

98. tcho says:

Rondo,

Considering ANA had two more power plays than the Oil, I’d say the shots were pretty even (36-28). ANA was defn. pressing at the beginning of the 3rd, but other than that seemed pretty even, no?

99. SK Oiler Fan says:

Rondo,

Agreed. If I’m Budreau I’m losing sleep over who’s going to be my goalie going in to the playoffs. They really could have used R Miller.

100. icecastles says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Rondo,

Or Victor Fasth?

Bazinga.

101. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:
    spoiler,

I saw No Means No play. but they had re-located to Van by then for quite some time. that would be like 99?

They ran through a few Hanson tunes, but not many.

Great damn band. both of them:

102. oliveoilers says:

103. jb says:

Anyone else now 100% convinced its addition by subtraction in Gagners case? I’ll take a 35 point defensively competent center as a replacement anyday.. Bigger and physical would be icing n sprinkles.. The guys supposed to be a 7 year nhl vet at this point.. Not a black hole. Considering most of this season has been an extended try-out I’m confident the issues been identified and will be fixed.

Great game by most though. Lots of reasons to be positive heading into next year.

Gagner + 1st will be the pieces in play.

104. Andy P says:

For the first time I watched this game live, end to end. I normally pvr it and then watch it if it was close, delete if t was a humiliating blowout.

So, what changed to change this team into a competitive NHL hockey team? Was it Hemsky leaving? Jones dropping out? Ference out? Yak out?
    Cant say Fraser because he was in tonight. Alternatively, who came in to glue this team together? KBomb? Lander? Pin? Acton????

Infusion of better coached players? (until the bucky effect kicks in)

105. SK Oiler Fan says:

I think I’ve seen enough of belov now to say I don’t think he’s part of an improved D next season. He’s just so slow. He gets beat to pucks all the time and even when he does get there first he’s under pressure And cant make a decent play to get out of the zone.
    K bomb and marincin have shown how much of an improvement can be had on D just by having better mobility.

106. David says:

Klefbom had a great game. If he can stay healthy he’s going to be fantastic. Such a good skater he can recover from his mistakes and can move the puck out of trouble. Battles hard. When he got beat he hounded the person to get it back.

Schultz is really playng better down the stretch. We have some good pieces. Just a few more…

107. thurmtim says:

Hellelujah I believe. This finally looks like a team in the NHL , not the AHL. Can we move forward more next year?

108. Thinker says:

I can’t be positive for next year. I’ve seen this show too many times.

109. Ice Sage says:

Andy P:
    Forthe first time I watched this game live, end to end. I normally pvr it and then watch it if it was close, delete if t was a humiliating blowout.

Infusion of better coached players? (until the bucky effect kicks in)

Goaltending. 4+14+93+19 +/-57. Defensive talent / play has gone from disemboweled to merely agonizing

that reminds me, Game of Thrones!

110. thurmtim says:

Thinker:
    I can’t be positive for next year. I’ve seen this show too many times.

C,mon, thinker. Enjoy the koolaid while it lasts. When you have no more koolaid, you will be very very thirsty… ;)

111. spoiler says:

oliveoilers: Well, good game. I think I’m going to download all the music suggested on here that I don’t already have and have an awesome playlist! Thanks guys! Goodnight.

In that case I would like to switch my votes from Kiss, Portishead and Morricone to Trooper, Rough Trade, and Aldo Nova.
    :-D

112. SK Oiler Fan says:

Andy P,

Its not just one thing, It’s happened in phases:
    Hendricks brings some edge.
    Better goaltending
    Marincin arrives
    Schultz not as chaotic
    K bomb arrives
    The 1 line gets its groove back

They still spend loads of time chasing, but it’s been at least watchable hockey.

Marincin with 24 min tonight. This is Calder material if he did this all season.

113. spoiler says:

Thinker: I can’t be positive for next year. I’ve seen this show too many times.

That sounds like Morrissey to me. Or Andrew Lloyd Weber.

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Andrew Lloyd Weber.

ripped off Floyd, Echoes. so, there’s that!

115. kooler says:

Barons set a franchise record with 27 shots on goal in the 2nd period…what are they feeding them down there.

116. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve seen No Means No a couple of times, but only since they became oldish men. Seeing them removed my fear of aging. They rocked so hard, so long. It was inspiring.

117. stevezie says:

icecastles: Want a refill, Rondo? I see your half-full glass is half empty over there.

I’ve never heard that line. I’m going to steal it.

118. icecastles says:

spoiler: That sounds like Morrissey to me.

Other than Portishead, this is the first name I’ve heard tonight I love.

119. kooler says:

icecastles,

I was right with you til the Lady Gaga.

120. icecastles says:

kooler:
    icecastles,

I was right with you til the Lady Gaga.

Yeah she’s kind of the outlier there. I’m impressed anyone here would know who Skinny Puppy or the Sisters are!!

121. Lois Lowe says:

122. stevezie says:

speeds:
    The Replacements?

Holy shit yes.

Woodguy: A second vote for Steve Earle here.

Third vote, dammit. I demand to be acknowledged. What am I, Bendelson?

bendelson: How about the Velvet Undeground/Lou Reed?

Good call Bendelson, you have fine jib yourself.

Sorry to go off, but I feel more qualified to comment on the music than the game I wasn’t able to watch. I’m not trying to get snippy- I honestly didn’t know that anyone unironically enjoyed H&O. I also can’t believe I didn’t suggest Townes Van Zandt.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: I honestly didn’t know that anyone unironically enjoyed H&O

all day.

they were a staple on Good Rockin Tonite! when I was a kid. I’ve never stopped loving them.

power pop hooks! all fucking day.

If I could write a song like “private eyes” I’d give up life knowing I couldn’t top that. the hand claps… as IceCastles (I believe) mentioned above. damn.

124. icecastles says:

Oh hell yeah! Have you heard any of Tricky’s solo work? Fantastic. Aphex Twin I still listen to regularly but Massive Attack and The Prodigy… it’s been too long. Loading them up right now. I’ll have to check out Burial.

stevezie:
    icecastles,

You seemed like such a nice person.

(Just the Gaga though- how can you not like a band who does this: http://arts.nationalpost.com/2014/02/10/vancouver-band-skinny-puppy-says-theyve-sent-a-666k-invoice-to-u-s-government-for-using-their-music-at-guantanamo-bay/ )

They’ve got to be one of the greatest, if not the most interesting, bands to come out of Canada.

125. icecastles says:

I’m sure they’re already one of Lowetide’s favourites and he’s simply been holding back on us. But if’ you’re not familiar with the Canadian genius that is Skinny Puppy, here’s a sample.

Though they’re at they’re best when Ogre’s slicing himself up or setting of a chest plate bomb onstage.

126. kooler says:

icecastles,

Live in Vancouver, born in England…..actually England has nothing to really do with except SOM i believe is from the UK…before kids i used to like my music.

127. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles,

Burial just makes beautiful music. His early stuff is haunting and ethereal, lately he’s been cheeky by using cheesy 80′s drum samples and very melodic, uplifting progressions.

About the latter EP, ‘Rival Dealer’, he said “I put my heart into the new EP, I hope someone likes it. I wanted the tunes to be anti-bullying tunes that could maybe help someone to believe in themselves, to not be afraid, and to not give up, and to know that someone out there cares and is looking out for them. So it’s like an angel’s spell to protect them against the unkind people, the dark times, and the self-doubts.”

128. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’d be more critical but I not only unironically love the Crash Test Dummies, I think they are (or at least became) an objectively good band and Brad Roberts is a legitimately good lyricist.
    That’s beautiful. Really.

Bendelman’s suggestion of Velvet Underground/Reed is interesting. Senselessly Cruel alone makes it tempting.

130. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe: Listen to ‘Archangel’ to see where he starts, then listen to ‘Come Down to Us’ to see what he’s doing now.

Oh, I love it. I was expecting something a little VNV Nation or Covenant-ish for some reason, but it’s a completely different sound, This is definitely going on rotation. Thanks!!

Okay since I am absolutely shocked and thrilled to discover that there is taste beyond country and classic rock on here, does anyone know if there is a place in Edmonton (or Calgary or Red Deer – I spend most of my Canadian days in Rocky Mountain House) where a person can hear EBM, industrial, or the more experimental end of electronic music?

When I lived there years ago there was a halfway decent gothic-industrial place downtown called New City Suburbs….

kooler:
    Classic.

Grandmaster Flash was so far ahead of his time. I don’t know that he ever really got the respect or credit he deserved for his influence on modern music.

131. Lois Lowe says:

Lou Reed would be pretty great only because Taylor Hall is clearly ‘Perfect Day’.

132. Chris says:

133. icecastles says:

Chris: Man these music suggestions sound like they are coming from the OTC. Rock music from when we all wore onions on our belt and called a quarter five bees.

I suggested Lady Gaga…..

134. Colieo87 says:

Jamie Benn and “Tough points to lose, it wasn’t a good game for us,” Seguin said. “No excuses even though it was back to back. We expect better.”
    Vs:
    Gets everyone going and it seems to get the crowd going, too, especially at home,” said Hall. “Those guys play hard and want to defend their teammates. If we keep playing tough and keep playing with pride and Jordan Eberle.
    Bad mix vs 1st year success of actually challenging for a playoff spot. ( good job stars) the oilers are magic for you eyes and all you see is blinks every so often. They can’t control their own destiny. With that said my good “SIR” Edmonton has to get McDavid to set this straight. Penguins model that the oilers are following by there draft strategy. Build through the draft. But is boils down to that pre salary cap era vs post salary era.

135. Chris says:

icecastles: I suggested Lady Gaga…..

136. spoiler says:

icecastles: Other than Portishead, this is the first name I’ve heard tonight I love. I’m guessing I’m a minority of one in my love of Skinny Puppy, The Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode and Lady Gaga.

Lois Lowe: I am more of an Aphex Twin, Burial, The Prodigy, Massive Attack fan myself. I just know that it’s not appreciated on this site, so I defer to the old men and list my favourite singer/song writers from the non-electronic genres.

I like almost every group here except never got into SOM. And dammit, while we’re on about Lady Gaga, let us not forget Nina SImone.

*brief nudity warning… lots of briefs, little bit of nudity.

137. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ripped off Floyd, Echoes. so, there’s that!

138. kooler says:

icecastles,

never really did…they even opened for the clash!

my 7 year heard a eminem song on the radio the other day and asked me to change it, i put him onto sugar hill gang – rapper’s delight and his head was swaying. even a 7 year old can be discerning. of course that’s my opinion…some people like eminem.

139. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles,

I would suggest listening to Mary Ann Hobbs’ radio show on the BBC though, she has impeccable taste and an angelic voice.

140. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:
    “Slip Sliding Away” is the song that comes to mind right now.

141. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: I love Paul Simon, but I get the sense he may not be enough rock for Lowetide, so I didn’t suggest him. But his repertoire is certainly deep enough for some good titles.Simon and Neil Young are actually two of my three favourite artists. The third – Leonard Cohen – would also be fantastic for something like this, all the more so because the state of the team virtually guarantees that “Hallelujah” wouldn’t make the cut. Well, maybe for Marincin. Cohen’s even less rock than Simon, though.(Honestly, I think “Hallelujah” might be the most perfect song ever written, but I’m thoroughly sick of it by the this point.)

I probably sing ”For Emily Wherever I May Find Her” at least once a month. But every so often you have to change Simon up for a little Simone.

142. icecastles says:

Chris: Yea but is a Madonna cover act really an improvement over the various dad rock suggestions?

Yeah. And the Stones were just a Beatles cover band.

spoiler: IC, you’re a photography fan so I’m guessing you’ve probably already seen this montage* edited to Portishead’s Glory Box. But on the off chance you haven’t take a look.

I’d not seen that, actually. Thanks for the link! A lot of those shots are very much in line with the work I’ve been doing the last year or two, so I’m a bit biased.

Lois Lowe: There isn’t much I am afraid, as far as live venues go. You’re more likely to hear it on a side stage at a Folk Fest than being played out. Vancouver and Toronto are a bit different simply because they’re close to major American centres.

I’ll check it out. Lived in Toronto for a while and the scene there was just fantastic. four or five absolutely top shelf gothic/industrial/fetish clubs open and playing dark stuff every night of the week.

Between my love of dark music, ballet and good galleries, I don’t know why I live where I do. I miss Ukraine. I miss Japan. I miss Toronto. But none of them have a proper NHL team, so back I come.

143. "Steve Smith" says:

icecastles: Yeah. And the Stones were just a Beatles cover band.

Well, they tried, but the marching band refused to yield.

spoiler: I probably sing For Emily Wherever I May Find Her at least once a month.

144. longway says:

had to chime in. van Morrison, lou reed/vu, replacements would all be outstanding

payolas crossed my mind

and the standells have some fitting tunes “sometimes good guys don’t wear white” and “dirty water”..

elvis and the who too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92A58SHo8yo but I wish the most for m. ward or brighteyes one of these years, might be tricky…

145. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”: Well, they tried, but the marching band refused to yield.

On that note, Buddy Holly has a pretty mean catalog.

Writing something off because of when it’s boomer music is even worse than calling all boomer music great.

146. Lois Lowe says:

I forget about Leonard Cohen. He would be perfect. Absolute genius songwriter.

‘Waiting For The Miracle’ could apply to so many Oilers.

147. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie: On that note, Buddy Holly has a pretty mean catalog.

148. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: I’m afraid you lost me there – I find that to be one of S&G’s most insipid songs. Actually, I find that most of the ones in which Artie sang lead were…almost as if the guy writing the songs preferred Simon.

Huh. That’s too bad. It gets me laid nearly every time.

149. rickithebear says:

icecastles: But if’ you’re not familiar with the Canadian genius that is Skinny Puppy,

Saw ton’s of bands @ Louis. the underground scene from 1982 to 1990 was unreal. Puppy; Junkies; Grapes:; PofH……………

Man Brooding Brunettes and Bourbon at that time

just as great as the Rebar (goose and blue hair) , roost (cheap pitcher night) and SKA at the B.

Man that is a name that flipped a memory switch!

150. stevezie says:

Hey what about Fleetwood Mac?

151. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe: I forget about Leonard Cohen. He would be perfect. Absolute genius songwriter.
    ‘Waiting For The Miracle’ could apply to so many Oilers.

Strange…I’ve been going through my bookcase looking for one of his books for the last hour (I have a lot of books).

spoiler: Huh. That’s too bad. It gets me laid nearly every time.

heh heh heh

152. rickithebear says:

As an oiler fan from 1994 this says it all.

Yummy!

153. spoiler says:

No Cocteau Twins, no Violent Femmes, no Joy Division…no Jimmy Somerville?

No Motorhead, Maiden, or Metallica?

NO PANTERA, PEOPLE!!!?

154. icecastles says:

rickithebear,

Everything that man has ever sung is absolutely golden. Please Please Please… was recorded in 1984 though, not 1994. Morrissey was well into his solo career by the 90s.

155. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: Yeah and friggin Ozzy ripped off Brain Damage, the beggar. I mean you can’t live a song, the damn things are copyrighted.

I believe that’s called a “dramatic re-enactment”. He’s an artist to the core of his “cold, black heart”.

spoiler: No Motorhead, Maiden, or Metallica?
    NO PANTERA, PEOPLE!!!?

I’ll see you and raise you a Megadeth. I figured Hunter would chime in on this one.

156. stevezie says:

Another argument for Steve Earle: Copperhead Road was the best name for Whyte on ’06.

Metallica definitely has the library, they just didn’t seem right for the project. I couldn’t say why.

Agree with “SS” on S&G. Paul Simon’s songs are perfect, and Artie kind of ruins them with his golden tones. From what I have read about them, they had the kind of relationship that develops in youth and continues despite one outgrowing the other. Art had a nice, pleasant voice, and he certainly has a following, but I never bought in.

I love Simon’s songs. Even a song like “My Little Town” which I’d bet very few would know, describes an absolute moment in time perfectly. “America” is maybe my favortie, but the guy rolled out great songs for decades.

158. theres oil in virginia says:

Of course, if you’re looking for great song titles, I’d say King Crimson has a few pretty fitting ones for Oilers posts (all the below from “Cirkus”):

Neurotica (the comment thread here after nearly every loss)

Discipline (every time Yak gets HS)

Indiscipline (every time Gagner takes the ice)

Three of a Perfect Pair (Hall, Nuge and Ebs)

Heavy Construktion (MacT’s summer)

Sleepless (Dallas Eakins’ winter)

Ladies of the Road (that Broissoit picture is perfect)

Fracture (the “old school” Eakins vs the “new school” Eakins)

Easy Money (the next overpay)

Starless (the fourth line)

159. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: Don McLean, somewhat less so – I once bought (at a heavy discount) an album entitled “Legendary Songs of Don McLean” just to see if that second S was a typo.

hahaha perfect. this is why you need to post more. well, that and the other thing.

stevezie:
    Hey what about Fleetwood Mac?

If there weren’t the Eagles, FM would be the worst band in existence. They’d just cross the finish line a nose ahead of Kiss, which always goes hand in hand with the famous Kiss cover band The Sex Pistols.

160. rickithebear says:

icecastles:
    rickithebear,

I became an oilers fan in 1994.
    Smith’s long before that!

I lkisten to all genre.

it is all about the musical memory switch.
    Like the Albino guy at the yardbird suite who’s name I never got.
    Who educated a jazz rookie!

161. Caramel Obvious says:

stevezie:

Steve Earle would be an excellent choice.

Though I’d like to reiterated stevie’s earlier suggestion of Drive-by-truckers. My reasoning is as follows.

1) Based on previous iterations of this formula Drive-by-truckers is a band I think lowetide would love.
    2) And yet, because of their relative newness it would be an opportunity to re-invent the series. Instead of a nostalgiac reminder of past great songs it could be a journey of discovery.
    3) This mirrors (hopefully) the path of the Oilers. New things.

On another note for some reason whenever I think of the drive-by-truckers I also think of Hold Steady. \

Stevie, have you listened to Deer Tick yet?

162. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You’re right about the Eagles and Kiss, but you should probably go listen Never Going Back Again a few times while rethinking your position on Lindsay Buckingham. His solo album a couple of years ago was also dynamite.

Caramel Obvious,

Yes. Negativity. It is good- I was expecting it to be rootsier based on the company it was keeping on the rest of your list, but I love when the piano drops during The Rock. Nice horn section too.

163. Caramel Obvious says:

stevezie,

Negativity is probably my least favourite. I like Dream’s in the Ditch and Big House, but the first two albums War Elephant and Born on Flag Day are probably my favourites.

Dirty Dishes is a fantastic song.

There is an entire live show on Youtube. It’s pretty rocking, though not as “pretty” as the studio albums.

« Older Comments