FRESH BREW

In 2003-04, the Edmonton Oilers employed Eric Brewer as one of their main options defensively. He averaged 17:36 at evens, 3:16 PK and 3:47 with the man advantage. Brewer also played with an edge, combining excellent speed (he could close like a freight train) and size/toughness. Eric Brewer brought a “complete” skill set to the game. Although he was not an ideal PP option, he was judged the best available (3-7-10 that season, Schultz is 1-10-11 this year).

Dallas Eakins had a media avail yesterday morning, and it was outstanding. He’s not quite MacT, but in a way Eakins is better because the filter isn’t as refined. Dallas Eakins is obsessed with winning, coaching and strategy, and doesn’t have any trouble sharing.

NOTE: I want to give specific credit to Rom and Tyler Dellow for their brilliant work yesterday. I’m mining a different area of the Eakins presser, but these are two great reads with high value. I agree across the board, specifically with speeds’ comment in the Dellow input section.

brewerI agree completely with the idea that intimidation doesn’t work in today’s NHL. I also believe you can’t have 6 Phil Larsens running around back there because physical strength and winning battles is part of the game. So, we’re not talking about intimidation here, we’re talking about execution. Eric Brewer could execute defensively, his speed and size made him an effective young defender when he was an Oiler.

EAKINS QUOTES

• On Petry: “And it’s an evolution of a defenseman. I think in the market you’ve got to be very, very careful of pushing guys out of it too quickly. And, I think if you look around at different organizations you can easily get down on a guy, move him along and then you are dying for him back.”
  • More Petry: “And, Petey’s a guy were continuing to work with. I know he had a rough road trip. I don’t know I think if you went back through the last 25 or 30 games leading up to that I would guess that he was pretty close to a even player going up against the other guys’ top lines.”

This is a very good sign. Losing organizations often end up being development teams for the better clubs, and dealing Petry now is pretty much what the Kansas City Athletics did for the Yankees in the 1950′s. The Petry summer is a test for MacT/Eakins, I’m tickled with the coach’s answer.

• On wanting a physical defenseman or a puck mover: “When you look around the league now, the teams are changing their makeup. There’s teams that are playing a heavy game, but not a lot of meanness. They just go and they check and they play high-pace so, it’s a cross… I don’t have the answer for you.”
  • More of same: “I can easily stand here and argue “Yes, we need that.” We’ve got a guy back there that’s more than willing to fill the role  with Mark Fraser and, uh, one side of me says “absolutely, we need the toughness up front, we need it on our back end.”
  • Final portion: “But, Mark [Spector], I… and that’s the honest to God’s truth, there’s one side of me that says: “Yes, we need to old school it and we’ve got to have those guys.” And, then there’s another side of me looking at how teams are, some other teams are building and… I’m not sure.”

My answer is Eric Brewer a decade a go, and two years from now, Darnell Nurse. The answer next season? MacT/Eakins may go with Fraser. Theo Peckham may have been that guy but couldn’t walk the final mile.

SCORING LAST 10

scoring april 10The 1line is ripping it up. One of my favorite moments of the season came last night, as TSN brought their bag of putdowns and criticisms to the show and one by one the storylines blew up. Hall the fourth best LW in the league? Ka-BLAMMO!!!! ZING!!!! BOOM SHOCKA LOCKA!!!! 1line keeps teasing? BONG!!!!! SCHTOOMPH!!! KAW KAW!!!! It was glorious! I giggled like an idiot. Now let’s push this giant ball of oil out the window, and get Hall his 2nd All-Star team nod that idiots took from him one year ago.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

seberg

at 10 this morning on TSN 1260, we hit the air. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. We’ll discuss injuries in Chicago, and possible coaching changes throughout the league.
  • Neal Livingston, Tend The Farm. They’re bringing in new farm workers, and they’re good!
  • Rob Soria, Oil Drop. Rob’s views on the Oilers future are unique, we’ll drill down on the toughness/effectiveness question.
  • Darrin Bauming, TSN 1290 Winnipeg. The season is lost, but there is reason for hope.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

141 Responses to "FRESH BREW"

The 2011 draft is becoming famous, especially the 2nd round

2. Ben says:

The 2011 draft is becoming famous, especially the 2nd round

What’s the latest on Musil’s development? Too slow for the show?

3. Bad Seed says:

So, are you saying Edm blew the pick?

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I believe that’s the solution for Dallas Eakins worry about solving both sides of his brain in terms of the blue. Complete defensemen. Pronger was one, but we’re unlikely to find that guy unless Ekblad comes here and turns into something scouts aren’t suggesting at this time.”

That’s a pretty high bar LT!

I think part of the problem is that several issues get tangled into one.

1) the perception thing WG discussed yesterday and that Bourne piece I quoted in my piece. I think part of the problem is weeding out the perception of what heavy D do in favor of the effectiveness the numbers tell us. I tried to address this in a comment here:

2) lack of options. I mean leaving aside “types” of players, there just aren’t that many really good, all-round D out there. So the bottom of your roster ends up looking like guys with talent in one area (speed, positioning, breaking up cycles, punching, etc.) maybe two but severely limited in others.

I think GMs and coaches have bought into the idea reflected in Spector’s question yesterday:

“”In that past you’d say that if he doesn’t want to play that mean game that you’re talking about, he should have some partners or someone else on defense that can fill in that role. ”

ie., the idea that you try to pair players to create a complete defenseman.

I’m not sure this model works. I mean on its face, you can see the appeal. but I don’t think hockey D is a puzzle you can put together that way. If a guy can’t move the puck even a little, he simply can’t help. You can’t add him and make up for it.

Just like a Center has to be able to play in his own end, a D has to be able to move the puck. Has to.

Belov to a certain extent too. I think it’s just a matter of more scrutinizing pro scouting. You aren’t looking for a tough guy. You have to frame the issue differently. You are looking for a puck mover that is cheap and has some toughness, something like Belov.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

crap that is rambly. sorry.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ben: What’s the latest on Musil’s development? Too slow for the show?

JW was tracking the fenwicks in OKC for most of the season. have a look:

and here’s CnB’s recent look drawing in part on JW:

sounds like his transition has gone better than most expected, but he’s still far from ideal (we’ve know this for a while).

7. Ducey says:

Ben: What’s the latest on Musil’s development? Too slow for the show?

Here is a relatively recent write up on Musil. Sounds like he is on track:

Sounds like Schultz’s even strength partner in about 2 years. A guy who would be used to move people on the PK and to blow up the cycle.

=Matt Greene.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The 2011 draft is becoming famous, especially the 2nd round

worth noting that the D from that round haven’t really shown up yet, which is to be expected.

but that’s hardly a defense of the Musil pick. just a note.

9. justDOit says:

I may have had too much malbec during the game last night. The Oilers won? And Motorhead is going to be the musical theme for the year end?

10. cahill says:

LT,

One guy that I think kinda makes sense for the Oilers is Luke Schenn to fill that physical (Brewer) type role. He seems to be on the outs with the Flyers right now. Before everyone says what a horrible defenseman he is. I know he’s a horrible defenseman, this year has been brutal. But let me state my case.

Negatives:
    - His WOWY #’s are bad. He doesn’t make people better.
    - His Cap Hit. 3.6 Million for a 3rd pairing is not good.
    - He’s not a great defenseman.
    - He’s 6th for TOI among Flyers regular dman this year.
    - This season he has heavy O-zone starts.(56%).

Positives:
    - Good size and he plays a physical game.
    - He would be a significant upgrade over Mark Fraser.
    - Likely would not cost much to acquire. The Flyers are in a cap crunch. They need to sign Brayden Schenn & Timmonen or his replacement. They may be willing to find someone who can take on L. Schenn’s contract.
    - His CF%i over the last 3 seasons while not great ( 47.8, 49.9, 47) is better than every Oilers d-man not named Marincin. This year.
    - He is signed for only two more seasons. Which would allow them to develop the other defenseman and not be a road block.

I spoke with a friend who’s a Flyers fan, watches everyone of their games. Last season he said he played great, not worth trading JVR for but he was a good defenseman for them last year. The numbers seemed to back it up 46% D-Zone, & 49.9% Corsi & .683 CorsiRelQOC which was good for 1st on team. He said he’s a physical defenseman that Flyers fans like and he is definately capable of being a top 4 defenseman. This year has been tough and he’s not sure if there’s an injury, coaches don’t like him or he’s just having a bad year. Something is not right.

Look I know that he’s not a great defenseman. But I would rather have a player like Schenn who has played top 4 minutes in my bottom pairing than a guy like Fraser. If the Oilers could trade a non-roster / middle prospect – Pitlick, Musil. I would think about picking him up for a 3rd pairing.

11. Pouzar says:

cahill:
    LT,

One guy that I think kinda makes sense for the Oilers is Luke Schenn to fill that physical (Brewer) type role.He seems to be on the outs with the Flyers right now.Before everyone says what a horrible defenseman he is. I know he’s a horrible defenseman, this year has been brutal.But let me state my case.

Negatives:
    - His WOWY #’s are bad.He doesn’t make people better.
    - His Cap Hit.3.6 Million for a 3rd pairing is not good.
    - He’s not a great defenseman.
    - He’s 6th for TOI among Flyers regular dman this year.
    - This season he has heavy O-zone starts.(56%).

Positives:
    - Good size and he plays a physical game.
    - He would be a significant upgrade over Mark Fraser.
    - Likely would not cost much to acquire.The Flyers are in a cap crunch.They need to sign Brayden Schenn & Timmonen or his replacement.They may be willing to find someone who can take on L. Schenn’s contract.
    - His CF%i over the last 3 seasons while not great ( 47.8, 49.9, 47) is better than every Oilers d-man not named Marincin.This year.
    - He is signed for only two more seasons.Which would allow them to develop the other defenseman and not be a road block.

I spoke with a friend who’s a Flyers fan, watches everyone of their games.Last season he said he played great, not worth trading JVR for but he was a good defenseman for them last year.The numbers seemed to back it up 46% D-Zone, & 49.9% Corsi &.683 CorsiRelQOC which was good for 1st on team.He said he’s a physical defenseman that Flyers fans like and he is definately capable of being a top 4 defenseman.This year has been tough and he’s not sure if there’s an injury, coaches don’t like him or he’s just having a bad year.Something is not right.

Look I know that he’s not a great defenseman. But I would rather have a player like Schenn who has played top 4 minutes in my bottom pairing than a guy like Fraser.If the Oilers could trade a non-roster / middle prospect – Pitlick, Musil.I would think about picking him up for a 3rd pairing.

A big NO for me.

Schenn is extremely sheltered as per the Player Usage Charts and has a near identical Rel Corsi as Fraser who has similar QofC but more extreme zone starts. And Schenn’s cap hit is $3.6 million next year versus Fraser who is a UFA and making 1.275 mill this year.

So 3 times the cap hit, potentially, for arguably a less useful player.

12. rich says:

LT: Excellent post – especially on the KC Athletics analogy. I probably shouldn’t be so snarky about all the trade suggestions by the aspiring GM’s on your blog – but this is the kind of thing that concerns me.

Back in the 50′s, the A’s traded Jack’s and King’s like Roger Maris, Ralph Terry and quality utility/role players (Bobby Shantz, Ryne Duren and Hector Lopez) to NY. They served their apprenticeship in KC until Yankee GM George Weiss was ready to get them. In return, Weiss shrewdly sent over age role players and has been stars (Billy Martin, Suitcase Simpson, Johnny Kucks, Tom Sturdivant etc) back to Arnold Johnson. It was like having your own minor league system in the same division.

This is exactly why you don’t trade a Petry, Yak, Klefbom. Yes, you have to trade something to get something, but these kids are going to be a part of your core for a long time and bring something that you’ll need (say hello Tom Gilbert) and won’t realize you did until it’s gone.

13. iwin76 says:

Lowetide, I just commented on Dellow’s page. It was you that had the story about an NHL ref commenting to fans discussing player toughness, saying something like “they’re all tough from where you’re standing”, right? Just not sure if I butchered the story or misattributed, but I can’t seem to find it on the site.

14. cahill says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 3) I think down roster versions of “complete players” are available. I think a guy like Sutton, who more and more I think of as the paradigm of what we need to get beyond this stuff, is the guy.

Sutton is a good example of the type of defenseman that you should be looking for. Sutton was a decent puck moving defensmean that was huge and could hit. Most people don’t realize he had the skill to play with puck moving defenseman like Karlsson. He was a point a game player his last year in college and put up .29+ Pts/G 5 times. Defenseman take time to develop, big defenseman take even longer. Chara didn’t become the player he is until he was 25.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cahill:
    LT,

Negatives:
    - His WOWY #’s are bad.He doesn’t make people better.
    - His Cap Hit.3.6 Million for a 3rd pairing is not good.
    - He’s not a great defenseman.
    - He’s 6th for TOI among Flyers regular dman this year.
    - This season he has heavy O-zone starts.(56%).

Positives:
    - Good size and he plays a physical game.
    - He would be a significant upgrade over Mark Fraser.

Just a couple of notes.

you have to be careful with shot metrics across different teams because of team effects. not that they aren’t informative caveat added.

If you trade for Luke Schenn, which I’d be in favor of, it’s for one reason: you want something else (Cooter, Simmonds, etc) and are willing to use a compliance buy out on him to help the Flyers free up space.

That is a very interesting bit of GMing. you hand the Flyers cap space and get something in return (maybe you make it part of a bigger package) and it only costs Katz.

note: speeds should probably confirm this is possible.

16. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Very sneaky RA….I like it!

17. Ducey says:

cahill,

Your negatives on Schenn greatly outweigh the positives.

$3.6 million for a “not great” third pairing defenseman is all we need to know.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey:
    cahill,

Your negatives on Schenn greatly outweigh the positives.

$3.6 million for a “not great” third pairing defenseman is all we need to know.

We just got rid of Nick Schultz!

19. Acumen says:

Can anyone here comment on the severity of Yakupov’s injury in relation to an assignment to OKC after the Oilers’ season wraps up?

I can’t see him getting consideration for the Worlds with all the players that would get the nod already playing in the KHL, and I know there’s precedence for top picks going down for the stretch/playoff drive (look at the big gomer in Columbus last year). But I can’t help thinking Yakupov playing top line minutes with Horak and Arcobello, and being the appointed trigger man on the PP, in meaningful games would be great for his development after the season he has/we have had.

edit: Just looked at the OKC hockeydb page. Sweet Baby Jesus, Nelson has dealt with A LOT of players this year: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0060562014.html

20. El Duderino says:

During the 2011 Draft on this blog I distinctly recall a few commenters praying that the Oilers pick Jenner with their No. 2. I thought he had a neat name (I know, I know) so I looked him up, No. 26 on McKenzie’s list, seemed like someone the Oilers needed and so I started hoping for him. He’s still available at No. 31 but Oilers wind up taking Frank’s son. So my heart sank. Then I remember reading all the reasons they took Musil… still sounded like patronage to me. Musil was 41 on the McKenzie list.

Some guys on this blog thought Brandon Saad would also be a good pick at 31. Well he was still available and was ranked 22 on the McKenzie list so I remember thinking the Oilers had to (or should) take one of the two.

But the Oilers had the smartest table on the draft floor.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fuzzy lady pants is up and running.

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets 3m
    Eakins was told by MacT with 10games left that he had to see improvement and must win a few games he’s done that and will be back next….

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets 1m
    ….season but expect some changes to the coaching staff including T Nelson joining the staff if he is still with the organization G Fuhr…

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets 43s
    ….has also talked to Lowe about joining the Oilers in some capacity APG

22. justDOit says:

NHL Public Relations
    ‏@PR_NHL
    Taylor Hall (EDM), Semyon Varlamov (COL) & Max Pacioretty (MTL) have been named NHL ‘Three Stars’ of the week. http://s.nhl.com/vwezX

23. John Chambers says:

Oil 13-10-3 in last 26.

A few additions and subtractions and this could be a team that makes a leap next year.

24. Lois Lowe says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That sounds like fiction to me. I can’t imagine MacT telling Eakins that a 10 game stretch at the end of a season will decide his fate. That’s basically saying that a coin flip will determine if he’s back next year.

25. TheOtherJohn says:

LT

“And, I think if you look around at different organizations you can easily get down on a guy, move him along and then you are dying for him back.”

Believe you are commenting on Oilers trading away Tom Gilbert

The defend/decent passer argument seems kinda like the Coke Machine argument frequently raised here to argue we don’t needbad bigger players. A large forward that can’t play i.e. a Coke Machine is a non starter. Altho Pat Quinn thought one should be on our 1st line FFS.Anyone with size has to be able to play. So no to Coke Machines…yes to big players that can play

The concern I have with the need to have all puck movers, all the time on the back end is that we play in the Pacific division with Anaheim, SJS, LAK and Vancouver and we need to be able to break up the cycle when those large teasm get deep into our zone. Easy answer is to say…access the puck and a quick outlet and you are out of the zone. I am just not sure that happens that often. We have neither good size by our centers and outside of Belov, Petry and , gack, Fraser do not have big bodies to break up the cycle. Marincin can do it with his reach but not with his body (which will be remedied w the passage of time) and Kledbom looks like he will be capable of that at some poiint in the future.

26. John Chambers says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I would trade Ference for Luke Schenn!

D take a long time to develop and Schenn has some good tools.

27. Acumen says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    fuzzy lady pants is up and running.

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets3m

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets1m

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets43s
    ….has also talked to Lowe about joining the Oilers in some capacity APG

The Fuhr bit is interesting. Tough to say if it would be a good add or not. His tenure in Phoenix didn’t really show any great goalie performances, but they relied on a broken down CuJo, an unestablished Bryzgalov, and Mikael Tellqvist primarily. Things really turned around with Burke (and the Tippet system) coming in to replace him.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lois Lowe:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed. I certainly couldn’t see it framed that way (win or you’re out).

but it seems likely MacT told Eakins (who probably already knew… that’s the way he is anyway) that they weren’t interested in tanking and he wanted a strong push to the end of the season.

that message could easily get jumbled by whatever game of telephone happens to end up on fuzzy lady pants’ twitter (if we believe she exists and has connections)

TheOtherJohn,

The comment of running a player out of town and then wanting him back is from Eakins, not LT.

Also,

Brewer was considered “soft” for a big man too by local MSM.

Helluva Dman.

30. cahill says:

I am not saying that you do the deal. I think that you likely have to discuss doing the deal. I think, sometimes you have to gamble. If I am using the 3.6 million cap hit as a place holder for what I am projecting Marincin & Klefbom to get. To me it makes sense, if Schenn turns out to be a good dman that’s great.

When I think about the career path of Chris Phillips, Ladislav Smid, Jason Smith & Kyle Alzner. They started to figure things out around 23 – 25 years old.

If we are to go out and get Matt Greene, Derek Morris or ect … On the open market are we going to be paying less than 3.6 million? (Which by the way is 5% of the projected 68 million cap hit). Are these guys better dmen? How many years will they sign for?

I guess, where getting Schenn doesn’t make sense is. You have just traded Smid to pickup Schenn. Wherein Smid was a better defenseman.

Rom,

I don’t think there are any rules against trading for a player and then buying out the player you acquired.

One thing I wondered about the player retained salary transactions. I was wondering if you could do two players in a salary retain transaction.

For Example:
    Oilers trade Gagner to the Leafs and retain 50%. Cap hit 2.4.
    Leafs trade Clarkson to Oilers and retain 25%. Cap hit 3.9.

Not saying I do, or don’t do this deal. Just wondering if it’s possible.

CC

31. TheOtherJohn says:

I was quoting LT as the source of the quiote above. I am well aware of LT’s views on the effectiveness of Gilbert as a legit top 4 defender. My point was “other organizations”……like the

Grant Fuhr to join organization……. why? Cannot imagine a single thing that Fuhr would add to the organization. Which means its quite likely to occur

32. Bag of Pucks says:

The thing I found most encouraging about Eakins’ comments yesterday was his admittance that he tried implementing the swarm too soon. Not only did it help to alleviate one of the big concerns I had with DE (that he lacked a willingness to tailor his approach to best suit the roster capabilities), it showed a good understanding for the market. The HC doesn’t HAVE to explain himself like this, but in a market like Edmonton where every decision is discussed ad infinitum, a well placed nugget of truth like this goes a long way to help dispel all the rumour mongering and half truths that follow the club like a ‘swarm’ of May flies.

With the whole skill v toughness debate, I think it’s somewhat intellectually dishonest to frame the argument in this way as if toughness AND skill together can’t be a viable option. There seems to be a wont to frame fans that like the rough stuff in the game as cavemen mouth breathers who couldn’t possibly appreciate the subtle nuances of a Tom Poti or Jeff Petry. In reality, I think it is a very small (but unfortunately very vocal) percentage of the fanbase who thinks that way.

For me, the crux of it is I don’t want one-dimensional players at the top of the depth chart because you don’t win the Cup with those kind of players. For D, the optimal fit is that guy who can kickstart the transition game AND break the cycle (Chara, Doughty, Weber, Suter, Seabrook, Pietrangelo). Notice how many of the serious contenders have D men like this? Players like Schultz, Petry and Gilbert look great when they’re first to the puck in the D zone. Where they look less effective is when the other team’s already established possession and now they’re battling on the wall and chasing the other team’s cycle.

An argument like Fraser vs Petry or Ference vs Schultz is kind of irrelevant to me as it seems more about dredging up this never ending debate about the relevance of physicality in today’s game. What the Oil need is more COMPLETE defenceman, that can play the bulk of the quality mins, pushing the one dimensional D down the depth chart or off the roster altogether. If Klefbom and Nurse establish themselves as ‘complete’ NHL defenceman someday, we’ll finally see the Petry’s, Ference’s, and Schultz’ of this world deployed as they should be – situationally against opps for whom their particular strengths skew favourably. That will be a good day as it likely means we finally have a contender calibre defensive corps.

33. Pouzar says:

Wow Neal really bullish on Khaira….thinks he could be 1 or 2C next year in OKC.

Says he is fast too. I didn’t think Khaira had the foot speed. Kewl

34. TheOtherJohn says:

Stauffer was commenting last week giving Petry “another year to prove himself” Prove himself in what way? He is a legit top 4 defensemen on a team that has 2 of those type of players….if Marincin is legit.To the extent that Stauffer’s comments represent the organizational views….they are wrong. Would not, however, surprise me. Have no difficulty moving anyone in this organization….. including Hall**. the question is what is the return

If Petry in a trade gets us a better player….no problem. If he gets us Nic Schultz 2.0 —Gack!!!

So if Chicago wants to move Toews, TB Stamkos or LAK Doughty for Hall I’d do each of those trades , but the list of players that meet that criteria is pretty small

35. Lois Lowe says:

I think Derek Morris is the player Tippet was talking about ‘always defending because he can’t make a first pass.’

36. TheOtherJohn says:

Derek Morris TOI for the last 5 years coached by Dave Tippett:

19:33
    21:24
    18:59
    21:04
    22:00

Either Tippett is pretty stupid or he quite likes how Derek Morris defends

37. Bag of Pucks says:

38. LMHF#1 says:

Pouzar:
    Wow Neal really bullish on Khaira….thinks he could be 1 or 2C next year in OKC.

Says he is fast too. I didn’t think Khaira had the foot speed. Kewl

39. OilClog says:

They’ll never give Hall that AllStar vote, after last night.. TSN is now a channel that is permanently on mute.

Kypper roasting Eakins on sportsnet, not that he’s the world leader. But like he said, you owe the kids, players..nothing for the season they’ve had, and if something better comes along in the offseason that will improve the Oilers by replacing Eakins.. How do you not? It’s the GM’s job to improve the team. Would you say no to Trotz?

I love a good old winning streak like anyone else, sadly all this winning streak is reinforcing is everything that everyone already knew! Eakins deserves no praise for reverting this team back to the way they kinda played. Zero. If this is all it took to get results.. I’m sure glad he didn’t watch any video to start the year!! Blarg.

Were 13-10-3 in the last 26? That’s beauty, it also coincides when #4 was let loose and Eakins realized just what sort of horse he has in Hall.

TSN embarrassed themselves on last nights telecast and led an entire nation of zombies into believe that Chris Kunitz because he has 35 goals is a better player. Chris Kunitz. Hopefully after Rogers gets their junk sorted out, coverage is alil more knowledgeable and hesitant to the verbal fodder.

40. Halfwise says:

Bag of Pucks: Btw, I also think Eakins’ is savvy enough to stay abreast of the current tenor of the fanbase and the media. I think he gives good ‘presser’ from time to time, because having the fans and the media believing in him helps if the guy’s upstairs are having any doubts. Oiler mgmt like to portray themselves as having the thick skin needed to tune out the populist opinion and focus on the job at hand. I think the reality is, they’re extremely thin-skinned and sensitive to criticism (hence Lowe’s overreaction in his final presser). Thus, good for Eakins’ to throw the fans/media a bone like this. Good proactive spin. Would serve this org extremely well if they focused on being more transparent and candid about both their success AND their mistakes. Staying silent does not dispel suspicions of incompetency. Rational, considered discourse is much better, and the considered part is important. If Eakin’s would’ve tipped us to this decision to abandon the swarm right when it happened, the knee-jerk reaction of the fanbase would’ve been ‘This guy has no idea what’s he’s doing! Rookie coach, etc.” With MacT and Eakins, I’m confident the Oilers have some smart men making the decisions. Unfortunately, I’m also enough of a realist to appreciate that intelligence is just one of many factors that contribute to success. Hopefully some of the others (timing, luck, foresight, courage, etc.) start to line up for this org as well.

I think one legitimate criticism of Lowe is his willingness to make decisions on emotion & impulse (e.g. the failed Comrie trade, the handling of Souray, the meager return for Pronger). This trait then enables a MacT to hire Eakins in a similar fashion. I actually like Eakins, but the whole RK for DE swap still bugs me.

I understand those who criticize Eakins because his ability to speak is so much higher than the results he has achieved. I just think it takes a while to diagnose properly and then a much longer while to come up with a cure for the ills of this team. DE and MacT actually counterbalance KL, in my view.

DE did show up with a big ego, not so different from what MacT displayed at his own Bold coronation. Maybe he saw himself needing to establish alpha status right away, and that is how his insecurity manifested itself. I am glad that neither he nor the team needs to go through that again at the start of next season, the way yet another new coach would.

But man it must be hard to do all this in Fishbowl Edmonton.

41. Marcus Oilerius says:

OilClog,

Well, if Chris Kunitz is a better player, that certainly explains why he scores so much even when Crosby isn’t around.

And you know, if Kunitz is better than Hall, imagine how much better Crosby and Malkin and the rest of the eastern conference are! That totally explains why the glorious Leafs can’t make it to the promised land.

42. Pouzar says:

Love yer guests LT but Soria makes my ears bleed.

43. blainer says:

I have to say I am one of those fans who has lost patience with this team. However, Klefbom and the play of marincin..especially last night when he pinned Getzlaf to the boards..is begining to show promise. If Gernat and Musil are developing at the same pace, and with Nurse possibly ahead of them we are in for some solid D in the near future. I love the size of these defenceman and believe with their maturity will come srength. It is too bad we had the year we just had because we are gonna be making trades that we quite likely will regret. On another note has anyone noticed we are already seeing a difference in the compete level with the small change in the mix and positioning of the players. Hats off also to Mact for signing all these players recently.. those players will have to work their collective asses off just to get into the lineup in OKC..

44. Pouzar says:

LMHF#1: Possibly fast but not quick? There is a difference and people don’t always clarify.

True. Maybe top flight speed was what he was talking about.

45. nelson88 says:

Lots of good discussion in the past few weeks on whether Nurse should play in the NHL next year or whether that is only something a 2nd tier organization like the Oilers would do.

In the 5 most recent drafts (2008 – 2012) how many D drafted in the 1st round have played 40+ games in the NHL in their draft + 2 seasons?

picks: 1 – 15: 16 of 31 (51.6%)

picks: 16 – 30: 4 out of 20 (20%)

There are plenty of examples of picks who were “rushed” and have turned out just fine or trending well. Doughty, Hedman, Karlson, Leddy, OEL, Fowler, Maata, Trouba, etc.

Also plenty of picks who spent extra time in Junior/college/ahl and are not at the same level as the above;. Cowen, Teubert (salt in wounds), Ellis, Gormley, Forbort, etc.

Teams that have “rushed” their D? Kings, Ducks (x2), Penguins, Blackhawks, Bruins.

I’m not suggesting Nurse should play in the NHL next year. Much has to do with his physical development, how he performs at camp, and personally I would like to see him dominate the powerhouse teams in the OHL playoffs.

46. justDOit says:

My how the game has changed. Pang and Bishop exchange equipment.

47. Doomoil says:

OilClog:

I love a good old winning streak like anyone else, sadly all this winning streak is reinforcing is everything that everyone already knew! Eakins deserves no praise for reverting this team back to the way they kinda played. Zero.If this is all it took to get results.. I’m sure glad he didn’t watch any video to start the year!! Blarg.

1. They haven’t reverted to last year. They are playing better as a team these last few games then at any point last year. It is not hard to see this.

2. Have you never seen a Sportsnet broadcast?

48. TheOtherJohn says:

I think the Bruins, Kings and Blackhawks had strong D men for their young players to play with and they were slotted in a 3rd pairing to “find” their way. Oilers…..not so much

49. Marcus Oilerius says:

justDOit:
    My how the game has changed. Pang and Bishop exchange equipment.

We have to make nets bigger. Even if you shrink goalie pads and regulate them so the materials have to be heavier and reflect more pucks rather than absorb them, you’re still left with 6’6″ tall goalies like Bishop eventually becoming the wave of the future and taking up half the net by themselves.

Let’s be brutally honest here – today’s hockey is an ugly game when it comes to scoring. The ability to cycle and maintain the puck is at an all-time high, but scoring is just ugly. Crash the net, stand in front of the net, tip-ins, deflections, and other garbage goals dominate. If a goalie lets in a patented Mark Messier off-wing shot from the dot these days, he let in a bad goal. That’s wrong. That should be a great shot, not a bad goal.

50. blainer says:

nelson88,

I agree with your way of thinking. Can’t they send Nurse to OKC for the playoffs..if they make it… That would be a true test if he helps take them deep into the playoffs.

51. stevezie says:

nelson88: There are plenty of arguments to be made about why he should not make the Oilers (chance to develop his offensive game, burn a year of his ELC in a crappy toxic environment where the D are playing above their ability, etc.) but the blanket “because the oilers” doesn’t fit.

I hate that blanket. Is has measles on it.

I think the important point remains the year of of his elc. I’m not certain how much rushing players “ruins” them, but iin order to maximize his value you don’t use him until he’s ready to be good. Doesn’t make sense to have him on the team as a replacement level player.

52. jayzz says:

53. stevezie says:

jayzz,

I don’t know, I think a lot of people remain wary of taking a defenceman high, especially with Reinhardt’s numbers, Draisaitl’s size, and our obvious hole at centre (sorry Sam).

I think the top 4 are roughly a wash. Plan A is probably trade the pick, but that only works if someone gives you what you want for it.

54. Pouzar says:

jayzz:
    Any chance Ekblad is there at #3? Or is this last stretch of games going to hump us out of the player most fans have been dreaming about since Nov.Great write up on Brewer, my fav oiler till he was traded for prongs, which considering the return might have been a trade we actually lost.

I think there is a chance yes. Look at last year. COL needed a d-man as much as anyone and everyone and their dog thought Seth was the pick.

55. nelson88 says:

Bohologo: Interesting analysis. Could one argue that better teams can shelter these young defenders due to superior lineup depth?That is, these teams aren’t good because they employ young blueliners, but rather they are able to do so because they are good?

No doubt that is a factor. Dougie Hamilton or Nick Leddy have an easier row to hoe then Nurse will. The point of taking a look at the data (and I was surprised how prevalent it was for picks 1 -15) was not to definitively suggest they should play Nurse in Edmonton but to hopefully put to bed the blanket statement that it is something only batshit crazy organizations do.

Ideally they would trade for a “1D”, have everyone moved down a peg and play Nurse in shetlered #6 minutes if he proves to be ready in the fall. It’s step one that is easier said then done.

56. Bag of Pucks says:

LT, further to the point of one dimensional vs complete players, that be might be a good tweak to the mantra, “Get good players. Keep good players.”

Given ‘good’ is such a subjective term open to such interpretation, ‘Get complete players. Keep complete players’ might be a more trenchant mantra for a club with Cup aspirations?

57. jayzz says:

Pouzar,

58. TheOtherJohn says:

To the extent the Oilers play Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse here for nextseason that is pretty close to bat shit crazy. 1/2 of your NHL D with less than 50 games played.

Kings brought up Doughty who is not Darnell Nurse and had Voynov, Muzzibn and Martinez in AHL for 2 or more seasons

Chicago had Leddy on roster in draft +2 for half a season and he played 14:09 TOI

Hamilton played 1/2 season in OHL in draft+2 and then played 17 minutes on avery veteran D corps

Not sure Kings, Bruins, Hawks are rushing any of their D prospects

59. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

note: speeds should probably confirm this is possible.

I’m not sure what the league would think of this.

I recall the league kinda/sorta issued a statement in June regarding a Lecavalier scenario

So, teams cannot trade a player, have the other team buy him out, then re-sign the player(1 full season has to pass before he the player could re-sign)(not that this applies to the Schenn suggestion above)

I seem to recall some rumblings about teams trading for DiPietro last June, and then buying him out, but I can’t find anything that says that would/wouldn’t be allowed.

60. jayzz says:

stevezie,

You start the year with another 18 year old center in the 2c spot next year over Gagner we can start talking about how good McKinnon will look on this team now, today !

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets 1m
    Wonder if Gagner to NYI makes any sense considering his relationship with John Tavares

echoing Stauffer I believe.

62. Ice Sage says:

jayzz: Pouzar, It’s kind of spooky the similarities that the oil have with the av’s of last year, here’s hoping we have the same turn around next year that they enjoyed this year.Anyone else noticing Gagner mailing it in these last few games ? It’s hard to watch .

Colorado’s the story of the NHL season, IMO.
    LT, how about a post breaking down how they did it?
    Somehow, I can’t see Grant Fuhr being our Patty Roy!

63. stevezie says:

jayzz,

I assume you mean McDavid, but I agree! Not matter who or where we draft this summer, I would send the kid back to junior. I would rather roll Gagner again than go with a teenager at 2C.

That said, Having two strong C appears to be a recipe for long-term success. I lean towards one of the centers over Ekblad, if the option comes up.

64. Gerta Rauss says:

jayzz:

Anything is possible, but I don’t know how Florida would pass on Ekblad at 2. I’m assuming that Reinhart goes #1 to Buffalo(or anyone for that matter)

Florida took Barkov last year, would they take Leon at 2 instead of Ekblad…I doubt it.

Anything can happen though…Seth Jones slid to 4 last year.

I want a C from this draft so I’d be happy if Leon was there at 3

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: I’m not sure what the league would think of this.

Yea. I recall you can’t buy out, re-sign… but I don’t know if you can acquire, buy out and that’s the end of the story.

Not sure why not.

that extra compliance buyout (one used on Belanger) could be used creatively to make something happen.

What would Lou do?

66. Hammers says:

I still wonder why we don’t see more #7 “D” used on the 4th line . I’m not huge on Larsen per say but as an example if you have a player like him who has some offensive upside , can play the point and fill in on the top 6 if a major injury happens or a long penalty occurs to one of your “D” it may be the way to go . If that #7 “D” can be coached to play a basic 7-8 minutes as a forward why don’t we see it more often or for that matter as a regular thing . Just thinking after listening to Eakins presser why coaches don’t start thinking a bit more out of the box but always stick to the way it was .

67. Pouzar says:

jayzz:
    Pouzar,

Considering the Corgis, a similar turn around maybe closer than you think LOL

68. admiralmark says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets1m

echoing Stauffer I believe.

Sounds like he/she is brainstorming today? I mean MacT saying to Eakins you better improve or else. And Treenasoil releasing the so called inside info after Eakins has shown to actually improve the team play? Come on… Inside info? Anybody coulda come up with that one after the fact. Believability diminishing…..

69. nelson88 says:

TheOtherJohn,

See my response above. There are many arguments to be made for and against. It’s an anomoly in the league is not one of them.

Agree it would be unwise to play Nurse, Marincin and Klefbom in the same D core. Hopefully Klefbom will be packaged with Gagner and other assets as necessary to get a #1 D.

small edit to the numbers in my original post

1- 15: 18 out of 33 (54.5%)

70. jayzz says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets1m

echoing Stauffer I believe.

71. Marcus Oilerius says:

Gerta Rauss,

Florida also picked Gudbranson high in 2010, much higher than he was projected (though he was a classical riser). He didn’t have the “can’t-miss” reputation of Ekblad, but his development has been rough, so perhaps the Gudbranson experience scares them away from a defenceman. Probably not, their need on the back end is as bad as ours.

72. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

What would Lou do?

Lou would attempt a Schenn type buyout and force the league to make a ruling on the transaction.

I doubt there is a line item in the CBA that applies to the Schenn suggestion above…the league has to review/approve all transactions so they would be forced to rule on it after two teams consumated a deal.

I think a Schenn type buyout would have/should have been completed at the deadline, so the team buying him out would have plausible deniability when they buy him out in the summer(” he didn’t fit into our system” etc etc)

73. DBO says:

A few notes.

Lander is right on track. Go look at Nyquist with Detroit. 24 yrs old and it’s his first full nhl season after 2 seasons at a point a game in the AHL. Proper development people. Arcobello is our 4th line C or 13th forward next year not Lander. Why rush him. If he can clear waivers he starts in OKC and comes up if needed.

As for D. Please send Nurse back for another year. Left side is fine. Hell we have 4 solid dmen right now. Get Ference a better vet D partner and I am happy.

74. jayzz says:

stevezie,

Yea I did, I feel shame . I completely agree but if we do pick a C lets not rush him, anyone have a realistic top 3 players that would best fit there next season ? My personal pick? Somehow pull off a Gagner + for Adam Henrique ? Crazy talk ??

75. Gerta Rauss says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Gerta Rauss,

Florida also picked Gudbranson high in 2010, much higher than he was projected (though he was a classical riser).He didn’t have the “can’t-miss” reputation of Ekblad, but his development has been rough, so perhaps the Gudbranson experience scares them away from a defenceman.Probably not, their need on the back end is as bad as ours.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

jayzz: If I’m Mac T I start targeting all the gms with learning disabilities, ( both New York teams etc) and start sending them links of Gagner’s 8 point night (9?) over FB and see what sticks lmao

Send them all a link to Gagners shoot out move in Phoenix the other night.

77. blainer says:

TheOtherJohn,

Ahhh… the benefits of having a deep defense. The time will come and it may be here to wait on Nurse…who knows. How do you send him back to Junior if he is playing lights out like trouba for the first 9 games. It sure would be easy if we had L.A.’s or Chicago’s depth… Boy LA is not the same team without Doughty ..thats for sure..

78. Nuckout says:

Eakins is finding his stride. He’s getting his words, speaking with confidence, and once this team starts to roll, the DE of 2013-14 will be but a memory. Like with Ralph, jettisoning Eakins at this stage will be a lethal mistake. I know some don’t see this, but time in can be the most galvanizing factor of all.

If exactly 365 days from now, in the same position? Load the cannon.

79. Bag of Pucks says:

Gerta Rauss: Yeah, tough call. I’m fine if we pick at 3 and Leon is there…let Buffalo and Florida make the tough decisions.

Because Oilers.

80. Gerta Rauss says:

Bag of Pucks,

Could happen, but I haven’t seen a draft list that has Leon above Reinhart

And Reinhart and Leon are both 6’1, granted, Leon has 20 lbs on him.

81. Doomoil says:

Wait what? Why would we want to be like Colorado? A team buoyed by an extremely high PDO that covers up their poor possession skills.

That is exactly the team we don’t want to be next year. We don’t need false success.

82. rickithebear says:

Nelson**:
    what the f……………. is a #1 Dman.

Give me your interpretation.

All i give a F about is
    1. On PP better than average for top 60 D pts/60 and GF/ 60 6.13
    2. On PK better than league average for PKGA/60 6.13
    3. As many with an ability to fqace tough comp and be near or below league average for EVGA.

Th eability to move the puck At even.
    EVP; EVG; EVA

The PK affect of a Dman is just as important as PP affect
    It is all 6.13 GF or GA/60

When i look at SHea Weber!

A 2.55 to 2.75 EVGA/60 facing 1st comp without Suter!

He is a great goal scorer at Even and PP.

On PP +1.72GF/60 3.0min/gm works to +6.88 G/season

Weber at Even 20.3 minutes /gm -.42EVG/60 -11.34 G/season
    Weber on PK 2.64 min/gm +.09G/60 +.32g/season
    He is -4.14G/season to league average.

Marincin:
    Even 1st comp 15.13min/gm 2.13 EVGA +.20EVG/60 +4.2G/season
    PK 2.11 min/gm +1.28G/60 +3.70G.season
    PP .50 min/gm +.09g/60 +.1G/season
    Marincin is +8 G/season to league average.

Who is the #1 DMAN?

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: What if Buffalo and Florida pick Ekland and Draisaitl leaving the Oil yet another small forward?

Because Oilers.

84. Numenius says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    fuzzy lady pants is up and running.

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets3m

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets1m

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets43s
    ….has also talked to Lowe about joining the Oilers in some capacity APG

Wow.

I hope the bit about Todd Nelson is true.

He’d be great with Yak and his good cop would seem to be a nice complement to Eakins’ bad.

85. rickithebear says:

Doomoil:

Yes stating a # that by math should regress to the mean.

Versus looking at
    1.Each forwards shot patterns relative to success by distance.
    2. dmens box protection based on shots given upon his side.
    3. looking at the shhooting % in the 20-30 ft shot range to see if a forward is back checking properly!

Dman gave up
    X goals
    X shots from dixtance X-XFT
    A goal success rate of X%
    Which was +/- X% to average.
    Yeilding a shot dixtance of X.
    Which was X% of Total shots.
    +/- X% versus average shots yeided in that range.

Tells us a lot more.

PDO!

I am crying!

86. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d be more than happy with any of Reinhart, Bennett, Nylander if Draisaitl/Ekblad are gone.

I’d be thrilled with Reinhart at 3…if the Oilers win the lottery and pick 1 I would take Reinhart

87. RexLibris says:

If the Oilers are lucky enough to have Reinhart fall in their lap then the way forward (pardon the pun) is clear.

Send Reinhart back to junior for one more season.

Add depth wingers with some size.

Keep Gagner for another season unless you can pull off a trade for a less offensively gifted but more defensively capable 2C (Bailey has been mentioned here by me and others).

Find one or two D to stabilize the back end and give Eakins the summer to assess the PP and the team knows that they have to deal with the same man and system the coming season.

The following year you can include Reinhart in the equation with perhaps some others like Yakimov, Nurse, or Gernat.

Don’t draft Ekblad. It only papers over the serious issues this team has down the middle.

88. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris:

*edit-I’m assuming Reinhart and Leon go 1 and 2

89. Ducey says:

Anyone else think that Pinizzotto is an upgrade on Ryan Jones?

Faint praise I know, but I am thinking his emergence should kill any thought of bringing back Jones.

90. Pouzar says:

Ducey:
    Anyone else think that Pinizzotto is an upgrade on Ryan Jones?

*raises hand*

No chance Ryan Jones is on this team next year.

91. Bag of Pucks says:

I want the Oilers to draft the Best Player Available when their pick is due.

I’m not sure who that is. I’m not sure they know either.

Questions to consider entering this draft.

1) Will RNH become a legitimate outscoring 1C?
    2) Is Nurse the stud 1D the team desperately needs? Is Ekblad?
    3) If neither Nurse or Ekblad project as a dominant 1D, are 2 excellent 2Ds = 1 dominant 1D?
    4) Can this team match up in the West against Kopitar, Getzlaf, Backes etc without size at the C slot?
    5) Will this team ever draft a G in the second round?

92. stevezie says:

Because Oilers.

I get your pointt, but I would respond, “Boohoo, another talented forward.”
    There is no way to paint any top four pick as a bad thing. Because oiler fans.

jayzz: anyone have a realistic top 3 players that would best fit there next season ? My personal pick? Somehow pull off a Gagner + for Adam Henrique ? Crazy talk ??

Realistic? I don’t know, but I maintain Philly is crazy enough to deal Couter and since PHX is going to miss the playoffs maybe they shake it up and move Hanzal? I think getting Wilson out of NSH is more likely, and I guess he would be fine, but the first two names are the ones that get me dancing.

93. Gerta Rauss says:

Bag of Pucks:

Questions to consider entering this draft.

1) Will RNH become a legitimate outscoring 1C?
    2) Is Nurse the stud 1D the team desperately needs? Is Ekblad?
    5) Will this team ever draft a G in the second round?

these questions, and more, will be answered, on the next episode of Soap….

94. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I am doubtfull that Oilers would pick Nylander for two reasons.

He is a small euro centre and his mother doesn’t like Edmonton.

95. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks,

By the looks of it, Nurse has the athleticism and skill to be a 1D. He’s also shown himself to be quite bright and in the preseason he realized the limitations he had against NHLers given his limited weight. He’s also worked on his defensive game in junior, though of course coming to the NHL will mean adjusting to the combination of size and speed that the best players have. He’s just a few years away physically.

Ekblad is here, physically. He’s a freakish manbeast. Not as athletic as Nurse, but smart and talented offensively. Chosen over Nurse for the junior team, too, and acquitted himself well. He’ll never be as fast as Nurse and doesn’t look as aggressive in trying to make a play happen, so I don’t think his potential is as high, but he’s much more likely to achieve it.

96. Henry says:

Numenius: Wow.

I hope the bit about Todd Nelson is true.

Yes, what Nelson has done the past couple months to get into playoff position with a cobbled together roster is very impressive. I’d love to see Nelson in Edmonton, but Eakins should be able to put together the assistants he wants to implement his strategy.

97. jayzz says:

stevezie,

The first 2 will cost at the least Ebs . Are we still dancing ? Lol

98. Henry says:

OKC had 27 shots in the second period yesterday against one of the teams they are battling for a playoff spot.

99. jayzz says:

Marcus Oilerius,

It’s funny this article is about Eric Brewer and i see striking similarities between him and Ekblad. He may not be the player we want but I think he is exactly what we will need in 2 years.
    Rome wasn’t built in a day.

100. Bag of Pucks says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Bag of Pucks,

By the looks of it, Nurse has the athleticism and skill to be a 1D.He’s also shown himself to be quite bright and in the preseason he realized the limitations he had against NHLers given his limited weight.He’s also worked on his defensive game in junior, though of course coming to the NHL will mean adjusting to the combination of size and speed that the best players have.He’s just a few years away physically.

Ekblad is here, physically.He’s a freakish manbeast.Not as athletic as Nurse, but smart and talented offensively.Chosen over Nurse for the junior team, too, and acquitted himself well.He’ll never be as fast as Nurse and doesn’t look as aggressive in trying to make a play happen, so I don’t think his potential is as high, but he’s much more likely to achieve it.

So Eklad fast tracks the rebuild, assuming they can’t find a 1D on the trade or free agency markets (which I believe is extremely rare)?

101. Ducey says:

Gerta Rauss: The only scenario for me that I draft Ekblad is if he falls to us at 3…and even then, I would listen to all trade offers. If we can’t trade him for 110 cents on the dollar I would draft him.

All the discussion is about the Oilers drafting at 3. There is a 42% chance they pick 4th and a 14% chance they pick 1st – so odds are they don’t pick 3rd.

102. Gerta Rauss says:

Ducey

42 and 14 adds up to 56%….what do the odds say about the other 44%..?

edit-not meant to be snarky…what are the odds on picking 2…?…3..?

103. Bag of Pucks says:

stevezie: I get your pointt, but I would respond, “Boohoo, another talented forward.”
    There is no way to paint any top four pick as a bad thing.Because oiler fans.

Derrick Brassard. Thomas Hickey. Patrik Stefan. Alexandre Daigle.

104. jayzz says:

105. nelson88 says:

rickithebear,

Ricki,

Your post made me laugh. I am a Marincin fan and don’t think I said I wanted him traded. If you feel that strongly that Marincin is better than Weber (I guess that is what you are getting at?). Great, I’m not sure the rest of the world agrees but I’m not really interested in arguing on it’s behalf

Off to a client dinner so don’t be offended if I don’t respond to the incoming salvo. cheers

106. DBO says:

jayzz,

Or 7 years apparently

107. Ca$h-Money! says:

Bag of Pucks: Derrick Brassard. Thomas Hickey. Patrik Stefan. Alexandre Daigle.

How did you leave out Cam “The Solution” Barker?

108. Ducey says:

Gerta Rauss: Ducey42 and 14 adds up to 56%….what do the odds say about the other 44%..?edit-not meant to be snarky…what are the odds on picking 2…?…3..?

Here you go:

Its 14.2% to pick 1st, 0% for 2nd, 43.8% 3rd, and 42% for 4th.

109. Gerta Rauss says:

Ducey,

thanks-I was hoping you would include a link

and that calculation doesn’t take into account we could still pass Florida and pick 2

110. Bag of Pucks says:

Ca$h-Money!: How did you leave out Cam “The Solution” Barker?

If he’s the ‘Solution,’ I’m afraid to ask what the ‘problem’ was?

Everytime I hear the name Cam Barker, I think of that Messier Lays commercial where he’s wheeling through the opposition giggling ‘Pylons’

111. jayzz says:

DBO,

Why is a jock strap better than the Canucks ?
    Because it’s has one cup.

We built it 5 times let’s try and remember and Respect! all the teams that haven’t and are still trying, this might seem like a long time but in my mind until you win the cup you have no real relevance. So stop with the seven year crap and solidly get behind this team next year, or follow another team .

112. frjohnk says:

Bag of Pucks: Derrick Brassard. Thomas Hickey. Patrik Stefan. Alexandre Daigle.

Brassard is the prime example of how guys with late birthdates can fudge value. He scored 1.1 pts/ game as a 17 year old. He scored 2 pts/ game in his 18 year old season and gets drafted 6 overall in the 2006 draft. If he was born 8 days earlier, he would have been eligible for the 2005 draft and most likely would have went late first round or somewhere in the 2nd round with those point totals. With 18 goals and 26 assists this year, those are numbers more of a late first round pick than a top 6 pick. He is not a bust, but definitely not a bargain on where he was picked.

Doesn’t mean guys who have late birthdates and are drafted high won’t pan out or anything, as Patrick Kane says “hi”, but it is something to think about when we look at players like Reinhart and Draisaitl who with late birthdates put up 1.6 pts/ game in their draft year.

113. stevezie says:

Bag of Pucks: Derrick Brassard. Thomas Hickey. Patrik Stefan. Alexandre Daigle.

A list of early picks that turned into okay, but not fantastic players? Other than Daigle I’d say we could use any of these guys right now. Maybe Hickey is only an NHl regular on the Islanders, I don’t know. He’s a defenceman though, so any way you cut it I don’t see your point. Don’t draft a mediocre guy is a better guy is available?

I’ll give you that one.

frjohnk: it is something to think about when we look at players like Reinhart and Draisaitl who with late birthdates put up 1.6 pts/ game in their draft year

Hey, an argument! That’s a really good point. I guess the theory is scouts should be able to tell you who is a good player and who has the advantage of a few months of growth, but I think the truth is they obviously can’t.

So… I don’t know. Reinhardt isn’t using a size advantage to score, but then neither was Brassard. Draft picks are lottery tickets, I don’t think there’s much to do beyond being thankful we have a high-percentage one and waiting to see if someone will offer us a bird in the hand for it.

Isn’t Philly hosting the draft? You wanna get nuts, ed? Okay, let’s get nuts!

114. Bag of Pucks says:

Stevezie, the point is that unequivocal statements like “There is NO way to paint any top four pick as a bad thing.” don’t hold up under scrutiny.

Busts occur. Shit happens.

Not saying that WILL occur with this draft, but throughout this rebuild, the Oil have demonstrated an ability to turn sure things into question marks.

We wait.

115. Thinker says:

Too bad Jenner isn’t linked to the Old Boys Club.

116. Bruce McCurdy says:

I wrote a post something along these lines the other day, comparing Edmonton’s blue to Anaheim’s. This idea that you can’t break in more than one young d-man at a time didn’t faze Bruce Boudreau. Coming in to this season Sami Vatanen & Hampus Lindholm had a combined 8 NHL GP under their belts. But they have a couple guys they ride hard (Fowler/Beauchemin) and a bunch of other guys they can run for 15-20 minutes including several serviceable vets and the two young ‘uns (on separate pairs). Whereas Edmonton’s vets were found wanting/got traded/got hurt & here we are.

117. theres oil in virginia says:

Ducey:
    Anyone else think that Pinizzotto is an upgrade on Ryan Jones?

Definitely. As someone who has cheered for and defended Ryan Jones over the years, I hope that there wasn’t any thought (by MacT) of bringing him back, even before he was injured and Pinizzotto drew in. I hope Jones signs somewhere else, though.

118. prairieschooner says:

The Oilers have to manage the progress of the D Corp
    We need established D men to bridge things until we can avoid having our young D playing higher than they have earned.
    The job of MacT is to bring those D men to the club.
    Trading gagner for a Dman would seem to be a sensible approach as we need a bigger centre as well.
    Arco could tide the Oilers over until perhaps someone comes available at the trade deadline

119. denny33 says:

Pouzar,

*raises hand*
    No chance Ryan Jones is on this team next year.
    *********************************************************
    We said this last year as well…..

Fortunately, Craig was able to lock up Ryan to a contract for 2013/14.

120. Derek says:

I hope the idea isn’t to be the Colorado Avalanche next year, unless their luck holds they’re probably going to go out in 4 or 5 games this spring. The fourth worst Fenwick for % at 5 on 5 close and the third best PDO in the same situation isn’t a sustainable model for success. Ask Toronto.

Patrick Roy probably wins the Jack Adams this season on the back of the fifth best 5 on 5 save percentage this year coupled with the second best 5 on 5 shooting percentage. Colorado probably lets their best possession center walk as a UFA this season and falls flat on their face next season when Varlamov cools off and the numbers right themselves.

They’re a little bit better team than Edmonton right now with insane luck.

Edit: The addition of a top four pick this summer probably tips the scales in Edmontons favour over the long term.

121. stevezie says:

Bag of Pucks: Busts occur. Shit happens.

Yes, after the fact you can say, “well, that sucked”.

According to all presently available information, however, any one of the top four picks would be a positive addition to the hockey team.

122. icecastles says:

jayzz: I really dislike something about Nurse. I can’t really put my finger on it but I think it has something to do with the way he carries himself on the ice when he’s skating it’s lanky and awkward looking, almost looks unbalanced when he’s turning. ?

Don’t hide behind skating, you don’t like Nurse because he’s Jewish.

Damn enigmatic Jews.

123. jb says:

jayzz:
    I really dislike something about Nurse. I can’t really put my finger on it

Rascist alert…in Canada it’s only acceptable to trash those lazy heartless Europeans.. You’ve crossed a line here dude.

124. denny33 says:

frjohnk,

*********************************************************************************
    I am on your page:

Sam Bennett – June 96 ( nearly 8 months younger than Leon )
    Leon Draisaitl – Oct 95
    Sam Reinhart – Nov 95
    Aaron Ekblad – Feb 96 – stud at 17 during WJC.

125. icecastles says:

stevezie: I don’t mean to be a dick to you, specifically, but I hate this “because Oilers” attitude that implies everything that happens to us is bad because it happens to us. Getting Sam Bennet should have an exclamation mark after it, not a frowny-face emoticon.

126. flyfish1168 says:

I hope team Canada is watching. One of the lines should be hall, rnh and eberle.

127. Bag of Pucks says:

128. RexLibris says:

icecastles: My biggest beef with “because Oilers” is it’s one of those BS lines that basically says “I have put no thought into my opinion and can’t justify it at all, but I hold it anyway because of one bias or another and just want to whine publicly.” The fact that some of the otherwise most articulate and reasonable posters on here have begun to use it as a catch-all makes it even worse.

I’ve always suspected that the “Because Oilers” signature line for some posters here was a bit of irony.

They may hold that the sentiment of “we always find a way to screw it up” applies but are facetiously using the shorthand term in jest.

At least that was my take.

129. Halfwise says:

Bag of Pucks: Because Oilers. It’s just a more succinct of way of saying this org has essentially been presided over by the same brain trust (Lowe, MacT, Howson) that have been integral contributors to 7 years of ineptitude – and everything they do has to be viewed with that reality (and a healthy dose of skepticism) in mind. Can certainly understand why it would irk some. This team HAS been pathetic for far too long.

It’s still a lame thing to say. Maybe it was cool the first 400 times, though.

130. frjohnk says:

denny33:
    frjohnk,

I am on your page:

Sam Bennett –June 96 ( nearly 8 months younger than Leon )
    Leon Draisaitl – Oct 95
    Sam Reinhart – Nov 95
    Aaron Ekblad – Feb 96– stud at 17 during WJC.

I think you can lump Ekblad into the “late birthdate” pool as he is only 3 months younger than Reinhart, and he also has played 3 junior seasons so far.

Part of the reason he was granted “exceptional status” was that he was born Feb 7, which is only 5 weeks from the cutoff of from Dec 31.

Don’t get me wrong, he is a great player, and there is a big part of me that would like to get Ekblad, but we do have quite a few defence prospects that even without him, in about 4 years, the oilers should have a top 4 D man core that most teams would love to have. Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin.

And good D depth to boot. Simpson, Musil, Gernat

With this teams lack in center, I think this is where we either draft a center or use the pick to trade for one. I believe Reinhart and Draisaitl will be good number 2 centers. I think Bennett will turn out to be the best one, but I don’t think the oilers will draft him. They really want size somewhere down the middle. Gordon and RNH are not big, so Draisaitl is their guy out of that list.

I believe Draisaitl and Reinhart are better than Monahan, so I’d be OK with one of those picks.

I’d be happiest if the oilers traded the pick and a prospect for a good young center.

131. icecastles says:

I’d say that supports my point more than it counters it. The organization has sucked for a long time, I dislike Old Boy X or Problem Y, so rather than looking at the specifics of a specific problem, I’ll just blame it all on this extraordinary vague notion.

It doesn’t raise a point, explain a point, or question something in a way that can be discussed. Therefore it doesn’t move the conversation forward. In that regard it’s the equivalent of “because I said so.”

If everything has to be viewed within a certain reality as you suggest, then the logical extension would the that we should mention the friction of the ice surface when discussing skaters’ speed and bring up the rate of inflation when talking about contract value. If it applies to everything, it is implicit. Stating it outright serves no purpose and again, doesn’t move the conversation forward.

In fact i’d argue that it stops conversation dead by basing a point on a premise which is simultaneously indisputable and exceptionally vague.

How come Sam had trouble in his own zone?
    Because suck.

What’s the deal with Yakupov’s struggles?
    Because Russian.

Why is the team unbalanced?
    Because Oilers.

It’s not a matter of if it’s true or not: it’s almost tautological. It contains itself and leaves nothing to discuss. Which is the entire reason we come here in the first place.

132. sliderule says:

denny33,

I don’t think you can call brassard a bust.He is a good sized decent centre.

He could have been total busts like Filatov, Brule Montoya who were all taken at six.

The players drafted with older draft birth dates like Brassard have had decent previous years that would have made them late or mid first rounders.Then you have players like Hall and Yak who put up 1.4 and1.5 pts//gm in the previous year and would have contended top three if eligible .

Landerskog has a Nov birth date and only scored .75pts/gm and was a terrific pick so there are no hard and fast rules and scouts have to watch games to get a read on a player.

133. cahill says:

denny33,

The late birthday is something to keep an eye on for sure. But Draisaitl and even moreso Reinhart are within the range of former top 10 picks.

Player / Birthday / -1 Draft year / Draft Year
    Taylor Hall Nov. 14 – 1.42 / 1.85
    Sam Reinhart Nov. 6 – 1.18 / 1.75
    Sean Couturier Dec. 7 – 1.41 / 1.65
    Nail Yakupov – Oct 6 – 1.55 / 1.64
    Leon Draisaitl – Oct. 27 / .91 / 1.64
    Nazem Kadri – Oct 6 – .96 / 1.39
    Gabriel Landeskog Nov. 23 – .75 / 1.24

Reinhart is in the Couturier / Yakupov range for points.

Draisaitl is a notch below him, which is a little scary. But he’s well ahead of Kadri and his scouting report reads as a more complete player. I’m not sure I’d be to concerned with his point totals. Brassard’s scouting report at the time of the draft was more inline with Kadri than Draisaitl.

Taylor Hall what more can you say, none of the players seem to be in his class. Right now, things could change.

Side note; John Tavares (Sept 20) had PPG totals of 2 in his -2 draft year. 2 in his -1 draft year. Then had an off year with 1.85 for his draft year.

134. spoiler says:

Woodguy:

Also,

Brewer was considered “soft” for a big man too by local MSM.

Helluva Dman.

I don’t remember it this way. Biggest knock on Brewer from the MSM was not delivering on offensive potential, especially on the PP.

Problem with Brewer is he did most of his scoring off the rush and sneaking in from the blue line (Gilbert used to do this too). His game wasn’t about holding the point or walking the blue and then delivering a devastating slapper.

135. "Steve Smith" says:

theres oil in virginia: Definitely.As someone who has cheered for and defended Ryan Jones over the years, I hope that there wasn’t any thought (by MacT) of bringing him back, even before he was injured and Pinizzotto drew in.I hope Jones signs somewhere else, though.

Preferably with a division rival.

136. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets1m

echoing Stauffer I believe.

Makes sense for Gagner but doesn’t make sense for the Islanders. They aren’t going to be keen to add salary for an underperformer before a probable franchise sale.

137. theres oil in virginia says:

“Steve Smith”: Preferably with a division rival.

Seriously. He was always marginal, but the last couple of years (other than a brief stretch of games earlier this year) have been pretty dismal.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I am doubtfull that Oilers would pick Nylander for two reasons.

He is a small euro centre and his mother doesn’t like Edmonton.

What’s this about his mother. I hadn’t heard that.

139. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Oh yea. There’s no way the Oilers will take Nylander. But, I didn’t say they would. I said I would take him.

What’s this about his mother. I hadn’t heard that.

140. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m pretty sure he’s referring to M. Nylander reneging on his agreement to come to EDM years ago.

ah. I was gonna say, I don’t even know if Nylander has been to NA yet.