HELLO AND GOODBYE

Wild vs. Barons 4-19-14Frans Tuohimaa made his AHL debut last night, and had a wonderful game. His boxcars: 1 win, 1.85 GAA and a .950 save percentage. We never really know these European kids until they arrive, I don’t remember a more impressive Euro debut since the team moved to Oklahoma territory.

Wild vs. Barons 4-19-14Steve MacIntyre played his final pro game last night. He made his hockey living the hardest way possible, and he was very good at it. I hope he enjoys a peaceful retirement.

(photos by Rob Ferguson. all rights reserved)

39 Responses to "HELLO AND GOODBYE"

Also, game 4 of the Oilers season next year will see Eberle run over by a goon and Gazdic will be out with a re-injured shoulder.

In response, MacT signs SMac again.

Book it!

2. book¡je says:

I think there is no place in the NHL for the type of role that Steve MacIntyre filled. With that said, I was really thrilled for the guy when he got his opportunity to play and managed to score a couple of goals. He’s got a great start in life thanks to a few big paychecks. Good luck out there.

3. jb says:

Corsi’s not so interesting to me as you might as well grab a stopwatch and record possession numbers and shots like a soccer game.

An advanced stat I’d like to see is PIM’s broken down. Too many people see high PIM’s and assume tough physical player. What if the guy’s just slow and/or lazy, routinely beaten to the outside, taking a tonne of needless hooking and interference calls? Maybe the guys taking stupid roughing calls because it’s easy to get under his skin? To me there’s a good chance high PIM’s equals stupid player.

Wouldn’t it be pretty helpful to see it all broken down?

4. sliderule says:

On the oilers site Stauffer has a very good analysis of top four draft prospects.

I would think that what you read there is what oiler scouts think.

5. Bar_Qu says:

SMac was not a guy I ever cheered against, even though he was not a skilled enough player. He seems like a genuine decent guy, judging by the friendship he had with the down syndrome boy in OKC, and there can’t be enough of that quality of human being, let alone hockey player. I’d certainly like to shake his hand for being the guy that he is.

I wish him all the best and hope the sport he loves is able to provide him a few more pay cheques. Or that he lands on his feet somewhere else.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Happy Easter folks!

just got back from a weekend food bender. The Greek in-laws eat and eat and eat. but, I already knew that… still, I’m shocked every Easter.

———–
    The other day I mentioned I asked some scouts on twitter aboud Dal Colle as a C. Pronman said he’d probably play wing as a pro.

here’s another response:

HockeyProspect.com ‏@ScoutingService 21h
    @RomulusNotNuma wing.

Still, not definitive. But, doesn’t look like the scouts think he’ll play C as a pro.

BTW caught like 3 minutes of the OSH-NB game on at the in-laws this afternoon. Saw Dal Colle good on one rush up the wing and a lovely scoring chance. Looked like a winger. This was a decidedly fleeting glance.

Someone will get a nice player there.

———–

Woodguy: So a Tuohimaa and Broisoit duo in the AHL next year or do they sign another vet?

he’s the forgotten man to be sure, but Bunz has another year left:

About 2/3 of the way through the season I started wondering why they hadn’t traded him for a minor league F (this was when everyone was injured and/or with the big club). maybe there wasn’t a market.

At any rate, it sure looks like the team is disinterested in Bunz. If that’s the case and they don’t trade him, I’d guess they bury him in the CHL (the other one).

7. Marcus Oilerius says:

sliderule:

I would think that what you read there is what oiler scouts think.

It’s interesting to see that it’s pretty much the same opinion we seem to have. Sometimes we work ourselves into a frenzy worrying that the bosses are completely inept and don’t consider matters like age and 5v5 vs 5v4 scoring. That article reads like it’s prepping us for a Reinhart pick.

8. gr8one says:

Fun fact:

Sam Bennett and Michael DalColle share the same birthday. June 20, 1996

9. theres oil in virginia says:

OT, but if anyone is interested, here are the attendance stats for this year via ESPN:

10. Evilas says:

Interesting that SMac was the 1st Star (recorded 3 shots) and took the first shot in the shoot-out for OKC…..

Glad to see he didn’t go out fighting……

11. book¡je says:

Am I missing something – why retire before the playoffs? Perhaps he was being sent down?

12. slopitch says:

Reading about the Pens being unhappy with Letang since the stroke. With his salary and their lack of depth, I bet he’s available this summer. The question is, buy low or buyer beware???

13. spoiler says:

Nice to see Bob point out what I pointed out a few days back… Reinhart is the only right-handed shot available at the top of the draft. This is important folks.

I don’t know if it will matter as it is nuts for the Oilers to retain the pick and even if they do Reinhart might be gone, but if he’s still on the board, they need to take the RHS.

14. frjohnk says:

SMac is one of the most grateful players to play. Great character guy.

That’d be great if we have one more good goalie prospect. Can never have enough of them.

15. vangolf says:

Interesting that Bob uses the word “driver” with respect to Bennett.

16. spoiler says:

vangolf: Interesting that Bob uses the word “driver” with respect to Bennett.

Persimmon?

17. vangolf says:

spoiler,

He’s full titanium!!

18. spoiler says:

Dustin Brown going for Ethan Moreau’s Stupid Penalties by Team Captains record.

19. Younger Oil says:

Haven’t been able to watch the Sharks-Kings game, but just noticed Matt Greene is -4 and counting in just over 10 minutes of icetime. Has he been that bad? If so, hopefully the pro scouts take note and cross his name off the list of potential Dmen to bring in.

20. spoiler says:

I am seriously enjoying watching the Kings get spanked.

21. David says:

slopitch:
    Reading about the Pens being unhappy with Letang since the stroke. With his salary and their lack of depth, I bet he’s available this summer.The question is, buy low or buyer beware???

MacT did say he’s targeting a high calibre Dman. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes after Letang as well as Markov.

22. David says:

slopitch:

Looking at letang’s contract, it’s eight years at 7.25 per. He’s 26 now so he’d be 34 at the end. There is definately risk involved in acquiring him, but there is no doubt he would greatly improve our chances of making the playoffs next year.

23. David says:

24. Andy P says:

I’m hoping that San Jose and Chicago make the conference final.
    Edit: I forgot for a moment that Detroit moved east.

25. Lois Lowe says:

spoiler,

Sutter’s frowny face is the best thing ever.

26. spoiler says:

David: Letang is a right shot so he would bump down Petry and Schultz which is good. Would probably have to move Marincin as part of the deal.

Does Letang face top comp on the Pens?

27. Ice Sage says:

Lois Lowe:
    spoiler,

Sutter’s frowny face is the best thing ever.

Same as it ever was.

That’s an impressive playoff start for sharks. They even like Raffi now!

28. Rod from Viking says:

Lois Lowe,

Darryls took a 100mph Doug Wilson slapshot in the face back in the 80′s and back then there wasn’t the surgeons that we have today, it was a tough thing to have happen. I can tell you this by being his neighbor, he is one of the nicest guys away from the rink you could ever meet.

29. Melman says:

I always thought of Letang as a more experienced version of Schultz – great O instincts, D side not so much. Would seem to me the team has need of a high end D who can play defence against the toughs.

30. fifthcartel says:

Penguins trading Letang after he had a stroke would be one of the worst PR moves ever.

31. bendelson says:

I love the Oilers.
    I loved the Habs as a youngster – which I think I can be forgiven for considering I was in Toronto.
    And outside of a strong dislike of certain other franchises (I’m looking at you Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto) I am fairly indifferent about other organisations on the whole.

This makes the NHL playoffs extremely interesting in that I never really know who I’m am truly cheering for/against until I begin watching the games…

Where did my massive dislike of St.Louis come from? The Blues and Marty himself! Vive les Habitants! I hate the Kings and love the Sharks. I feel a little bad for Dallas. Crazytown! I should be cheering for Detroit but don’t appear to be… And Pittsburg? Meh.
    I should watch a Colorado game – I hear that MacKinnon bastard has been fantastic.

Go Chicago… what?
    Good times.

32. mumbai max says:

David:

I would think more likely that Shultz would be in that deal

33. russ99 says:

Uh oh..

@dchesnokov: Anton Belov told @plysenkovRUS that he didn’t want to stay in Edmonton under Dallas Eakins. #Oilers

russ99:
    Uh oh..

Eakins HS’d him and played worse options (Nultz, Fraser etc.) all year.

I wouldn’t want to play for him either in that case.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:
    Uh oh..

what WG said.

Belov had a long stretch of effectiveness with Petry and Schultz and then Eakins saw him real bad; he got benched and then wasn’t really relied on again. His TOI dropped, when he did play and he played with scrubs.

36. slopitch says:

I get why Belov wouldnt sign here either. He was a decent signing, hard to look good playing in Edmonton last year.

As for Letang, I like him but I dont think he’s the type of D we need. I wonder how well Justin Schultz would do playing on the PP with Neal, Kunitz, Malkin and Crosby. The sledgehammer graphs have Letang in a sheltered role but he does have a nice big blue dot. We need a Paul Martin type dman more then a Letang one but he is an upgrade on all our D. I guess I’m just not sure what to think of his health status given his big contract.

Markov and Subban are both top left with blue dots. Montreal is gonna be hard to beat with Price playing behind them and their scoring depth.

37. Ivan says:

Hey all, I’m a bit late to the party, but did SMac actually retire? Can’t really find anything on the OKC site or anywhere else that says so….I get that he wouldn’t be taking too many shifts in the playoffs anyhow, but the timing seems a little strange, no?

38. Genjutsu says:

I think with Belov the Oilers had already made up their minds that he was well behind Marincin by the olympics. Then Klefbom later passed him and I felt Nurse was well clear of him last fall.

With Ference on the team there was just no where for him to play going forward.

Unfortunate, I liked the player and thought there was some potential for more from him.

39. Ducey says:

Ivan:

He did retire. He wasn’t going to play in the playoffs. He only played twice in January and then twice in February for OKC. OKC has Eager and Kessy in front of him if they need toughness.

As it turns out it was a nice send off. He got the full Ryan Smyth treatment (C, 1st star, 1st shoot out shot).