KINGS AT OILERS, G81, 13-14

Tonight, the Edmonton Oilers play the Los Angeles Kings. I believe this summer will see a lot of moves designed to “LA” the Oilers roster, and that means adding size to the skill already on the roster. If we can, for one moment, “borrow” some LA players, I think we might be able to form a future roster.

PROJECTED OILERS FORWARDS

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Mike Richards-Perron-Dustin Brown/Justin Williams
  • Gordon-Dwight King-Hendricks
  • Arcobello-Gadzic-Trevor Lewis

I’ve added four players, your mileage may vary. I’ve also flushed Sam Gagner, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Smyth and all of the other fourth line players. I do believe we should begin to discuss the Oilers without these players, and probably someone like Jeff Petry leaving the blue, too. If you’re going to acquire a Mike Richards (we discussed Josh Bailey yesterday) or a Justin Williams, then someone is leaving town.

MacT’s job is a tough one. Acquiring Justin Williams is expensive, difficult and requires another team looking to turn over an important part of their roster. This does not happen every offseason, but there does seem to be more blood in the water than normal in many NHL cities.

By the way, we’ll know the Oilers are a true contender when that 3line above is the fourth line.

THE BLUE!

D ZONE START APR 10

Oscar Klefbom is getting thrown into the deep end as a flat out rookie, coach Dallas Eakins seems to be giving him softer opps but severe zone starts. I’m not absolutely certain what he’s doing—this is the opposite of Earl Weaver’s usage of starting pitchers in the bullpen until they’re ready. Klefbom’s Corsi is poor, but his Rel is surprisingly buoyant:

d corsi rel apr 10Just into the neg’s and that’s not bad when we take into account these are his first NHL games and he’s got the own zone ditch. Look at Marincin’s number!!! Wow. This graph also shows our man Petry remains a defenseman misunderstood, and Belov has either played in incredibly good luck or is actual factual good. The gap between the fanbase attacks on Petry and his actual value are reaching epic proportions:

hollywoodJeff Petry isn’t my son, but I do feel there’s a growing (as it did with Gilbert, and will one day with Justin Schultz and Dillon Simpson) sense that it’s time for the soft college man to leave town. I’m at a point where it might be wise for Edmonton to avoid drafting or signing these young players. They’re clearly good enough, but the fanbase is taking less and less time to turn on them.

The most recent goal that has everyone pissed involves some loose coverage from Petry, and honestly looks like hell as a GA. However, the support by Nuge and the giving up of the blueline so easily is also terrible:

petry screen shot 2

Here’s Johnson with the puck and we’re miles from danger, Nuge has the front door and Petry is preparing for the oncoming sortie. This exact play is repeated hundreds of times in a season, delaying entry (by Nuge) often results in a dump in, an offside call, or an upsetting in timing that makes possession difficult. 93 doesn’t come close to slowing things down, and now there’s some trouble.

petry screen shot 1

Split seconds later we have Nuge in chase mode, Petry in some danger because Johnson’s waggle has given him some impressive momentum and this is going to be close. If you’re a hockey fan, watching this play, it’s likely you’re thinking this could end up in a penalty by Edmonton.

petry screen shot 3Johnson makes his move, Petry whiffs, and that’s all she wrote. Soft coverage by Petry? You bet. However, this image—the one where Petry looks terrible—is far more powerful than the evidence given us by thousands of these sorties defended over the years. The facts are this: Jeff Petry is more capable at defending than the other Oilers defensemen, save Marincin whose body of evidence is reaching a point where we’ll have to discuss him as a top pairing option for next season.

The visual is so powerful, I suspect the Oilers lose Petry as they did Tom Gilbert. I don’t think Edmonton is a city that will support a Jeff Petry, and suspect player and team may part ways in summer. One hopes they get more than Nick Schultz for him, but when you’re sending out your best defenseman every few years (and Gilbert was at the time) it’s going to be very hard to make this thing go.

My hope is that MacT doesn’t listen to the crowd, that the crowd doesn’t turn this into something ugly. History suggests Jeff Petry, a useful defenseman, will spend the heart of his career in another NHL city. Edmonton will receive a lesser player, and be all the poorer for it.

Rinse.

Repeat.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

hennessy1A very busy Thursday, we’ll discuss Darnell Nurse in OKC and Dillon Simpson ending his college career on a national stage. 10 this morning, TSN 1260 and scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogosphere icon. We’ll talk MacT’s summer, Hemsky, Canucks, Leafs. I think Dennis has a lot to say this week.
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN, Bleacher Report and Hockey Prospectus. We’ll talk about the Canucks and Leafs fall, and I’ll ask which teams are hoarding possession players.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. We’ll talk about the offseason, and what it might mean for the Oilers.
  • Brendan Porath, SB Nation. It’s the Masters! I think Tom Weiskopf wins.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Should be fun!

330 Responses to "KINGS AT OILERS, G81, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Rondo says:

By that standard Florida would be the 29th placed team if they tied with Edmonton in points.

Thanks

2. Lloyd B. says:

RexLibris:
    So I’m doing a little digging on the supporting numbers for an article on Evander Kane and decided to compare him to other LWs in the league who are amongst the top 30 in points. (Benn, Sharp, Hall, Marchand, Lucic, Marleau, Perron, Landeskog, and about ten others)

Checked on CorsiRel, QualComp, QualTeam, Points/60 and things like that.

Kane doesn’t seem too bad, but that Taylor Hall kid looks pretty darned good.

Every once in awhile I check up on this or that player and then run these comparisons to see where they stand amongst the league, and it seems like I’m always finding more evidence that Hall is one hell of a nice player.

Its almost like a little christmas every time I do it.

I am working on getting on to the advanced stats and don’t comment on it because I don’t get all of it …yet. So I still have to get by with seen him good and the stats you guys that put the time and effort in to put out for our edification. Thanks for that to all of you. All I’ve got to say blending the two but leaning more to the seen him good so far to your conclusion is …really? . .. that kid can flat out play the game !!

3. jb says:

Woodguy:
    It helps us focus on stuff he can control, like shot against rates..

4. Marcus Oilerius says:

jb: This I’ll disagree with all day. A dman doesn’t really control the majority of shots against.. What defensemen do is control the quality of shot against.

I’ll disagree with that. The inability of our defence to get the puck up to the forwards or out of the zone is directly responsible for many of the extra shots the Oilers face. Granted, it’s not like our forwards are that adept at breaking a cycle, so they have a significant share of the responsibility, though not all of it.

5. Caramel Obvious says:

It’s interesting how intuition can be the opposite of reality.

Sidenote: nobody controls anything in a hockey game. They influence it. And, obviously, they influence both the amount of shots and their quality. However, the evidence pretty strongly indicates that the influence is stronger on the scale of amount of shots than it is on the quality of shots.

Moreover, this evidence, while counter-intuitive to you, makes a great deal of sense. Good defensemen control the play, they get the puck out faster and do so to their teammates, they also keep the puck in the opposing end, all of which means there is less time for their to be shots of any kind. Not only that to the extent that a given player might have the ability to restrict quality of shots (by for instance closing down on players quickly, not getting beat one and one, etc.) these very same abilities also limit the amount of shots. And so when you measure shots you are, at least implicitly, also measuring shot quality.

Indeed, for the converse proposition to be true you have to imagine a player who has no specific ability to prevent shots but then, somehow, has an ability to make the shots that do happen, happen from farther away. That’s not simply counter-intuitive, that’s preposterous on its face.

6. Pouzar says:

RexLibris,

Just curious but have you seen Kane play live? Not trying to be argumentative at all here.
    The overwhelming opinion from Jets fans and others on this guy is lack of hockey sense. I can say having seen him live multiple times I fully endorse that scouting report. I am never impressed with the guy when I see him. Speed to burn with a great shot but that’s where it begins and ends for me.

7. Pouzar says:

Wow

Ryan Smyth retiring.

Bob McKenzie: Smyth to announce retirement. Sail on. Sad damn trombone.

9. OilClog says:

Thank you Smyth for everything.

10. Marcus Oilerius says:

Panthers up 2-1 after two, really taking it to the Leafs judging from the shot total (26-14).

MacT: “I think both are possibilities. Top pairing and top 4 defensemen are tough to come by in today’s NHL. It’s not going to take Oscar Klefbom well, he’s been incredible since he’s come up here.”

On young D like Nurse: “We’ll see through training camp how prepared and how ready these young players are.”

“Marty Marincin has been a real and pleasant surprise.”

Very clear they see Klefbom as being a big part of the future.

12. Rondo says:

Sam Bennett

Sam Bennett has 118 minutes in penalties.

Sam Reinhart has 11 minutes in penalties.

Bennett i was born June 1996

Reinhart was born Nov 1995

Bennett seems like the Oilers should want.

MacT was silent with Elias Lindholm.

13. Pouzar says:

“Marty Marincin has been a real and pleasant surprise.”

Very clear they see Klefbom as being a big part of the future.

14. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar:
    RexLibris,

That’s my worry with Yakupov.

He can make some blistering passes, but too often he looks lost, especially without the puck.

15. fifthcartel says:

Perron is going to be play for WC?

16. Zangetsu says:

Enjoy tonight boys, it’s all shitnet from here on out.

17. Lloyd B. says:

“Marty Marincin has been a real and pleasant surprise.”

Very clear they see Klefbom as being a big part of the future.

I think it’s clear from Mac Ts avail they like all these guys. As much as it hurts to say, given the instant gratification that todays generation wants or is used to I’m thinking we better get used to a bit more pain until the strategy of building from the net out comes to be. We now arguably have the net in place and now the build of the defence comes. Maybe…just maybe…Tambellini started something that will only be received as right in three years. OMG … pass the Scotch. And no..I’m not Mrs. Tambellini !!

18. flyfish1168 says:

wow was not expecting Smyth announcing his retirement

19. OilClog says:

“Marty Marincin has been a real and pleasant surprise.”

Very clear they see Klefbom as being a big part of the future.

Do they have much appeal for Ekblad? I don’t think they do, Unless 2 or more of the prospects are leaving town.

Schultz, Klef, Marincin, Nurse..

For me it’s the German or Bennett… Unless there is a GM out there looking to move a beautiful piece.

Does the pick, Yakupov, Gagner, and Maricin get you Tavares?

20. frjohnk says:

Pouzar: Yup….heard him good too. Either he is pumping Klef as part of a draft day blockbuster or he is just giving him a seat at next years table. I think it’s the latter.

Mact has always given Klefbom great reviews. You can tell he really likes Klefbom’s game. Klefbom is part of the core going forward that MacT will not give up easily in a trade unless its for a very big piece coming back.

Its a small sample size, but Im a huge fan of Klefbom.

21. DBO says:

So yeah Smyth retiring makes me sad. Going out like this is painful. But he’ll be a coach in 2 or 3 years with the Oil. He may exemplify Oilers hockey of the last decade plus. Another Ryan Smyth in his prime types and we are in the playoffs.

That game starts at 11 30 pm here in Newfoundland but I’ll watch the game to the end. Happy he’s an Oiler in the end. And he better have the C on Saturday night. Just saying.

22. Lloyd B. says:

Here is a complete highjack and I apologize. Thankfully here in MB tonight the game is on TSN so we get it on the “do dive inn” TV. They just played the hockey night in Canada song that has been part of the NHL ever since I can remember. Think 60′s. As TSN has the rights to this music and don’t have any games to present for 12 years I sincerely hope that the NHL will buy the rights to the tune that CBC so foolishly gave up a number of years ago. In hindsight the NHL should have bought this from the lady that wrote it when TSN bought it.

23. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Mact has always given Klefbom great reviews.You can tell he really likes Klefbom’s game. Klefbom is part of the core going forward that MacT will not give up easily in a trade unless its for a very big piece coming back.

Its a small sample size, but Im a huge fan of Klefbom.

Me too sir….me too.

24. pboy says:

They’ve inflated Smitty’s career assists by about 400+ on TSN.ca right now. I say fuck it, just give him the points so he can be a HOFer.

Great career.

25. Lloyd B. says:

Bohologo: Aw, hell.

Hope they retire #94.

Nope. That honor needs to be kept for HOF players. OMG!! 27 seconds in and we’re down 1-0.
    Now to get back to your comment. Lots of guys in the past have had careers that surpass Smyths by a long shot. They don’t and shouldn’t have their numbers retired. Save that honor for the truly great ones..not the ones our hearts like. IMO…it needs to mean something.

26. AZOIL says:

Holy crap, we are already at 200+ comments on here and the game has barely begun!

I’m guessing if I go back to page one there was a very spirited debate going on? Is everyone on here retired?

Panthers up 4-1, I’ll take it!!! So hope Smyth gets that PP goal tonight or even better his last game before he hangs the skates up!!! One of my all time favorites and at 31, a player I’ve been able to watch most of his career!

27. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

Nice.Out of curiousity:
    - why Kane?
    - when and where will you cast this pearl before us?

Kane is rumoured to be on the outs in Winnipeg, so I’m doing a little digging to see if he would make sense as a trade target for Burke (or Burke’s proxy) this summer in an attempt to kickstart the Flames’ rebuild.

Obviously this is for FN (sorry, LT, didn’t mean to sully your blog with heretical fan bases.)

Kane actually compares relatively well with David Perron in terms of the numbers, but when you factor in his quality of teammates vs Perron over this season, and that Kane has been playing most of his career in a dysfunctional organization, I think if he could be had for the 5th overall pick in this year’s draft and either a 2nd or a depth prospect it could be a steal.

But when looking at a field that includes Benn, E. Kane, Sharp, Cammalleri, Marleau, Landeskog, Pacioretty, Perron, Parise, Moulson, Zetterberg, Lupul, Saad, D. Sedin, Ladd, Marchand and Lucic, Hall is right near the top in most categories, and clearly only behind a few players because of team effects (ie: Sharp).

Not sure it’ll be a pearl. Hopefully better than a kidney stone, though. ;)

28. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    RexLibris,

Interesting. Thanks for the information, sincerely.

I don’t see Kane as a foundational player, but if he were paired with a solid center like either Backlund or, oh, maybe Ryan O’Reilly (yeah, that is the other shoe to drop) I think he’d be an excellent complementary piece and when taken as a whole, that would give the Flames O’Reilly, Kane, Backlund, Hudler, Monahan and Baertschi to fit into their top six. Not a bad roster when one considers how they were looking a year ago.

Either way, I’ll look into his play on ice, and thanks again for the live tip. I value first-hand experience on players.

29. OilClog says:

Hey Coach,

It’s great that top line went through California and survived. But why, when you came back to town did you not bring that team with you? Where did you leave them? If I find them, is there a reward? Did you see them eating baked goods?

30. OilClog says:

Maricin is so freaking amazing, is what my careful deliberation with my eyes has lead me to believe.. So far.

31. flyfish1168 says:

Panthers beating leafs. We may end up 29th yet

32. Rondo says:

Florida just won their game against Toronto

33. Derek says:

Thank god there’s only 2 of these left.

34. rich says:

Well, North Dakota (Dillon Simpson) is tied w/Minnesota after 2. At least there’s something to watch down here in the states.

Ward just ripped Nuge for poor backchecking on Kopitar’s goal (and sorry, but rightly so). That’s 2 times in 2 games for the Nuge.

35. SK Oiler Fan says:

Somebody mentioned MacT looking old the other day. Wow, this year looks like its taken 10 years from him. Undertstandable when you have to watch this every night.
    RNH is playing like he’s at the summer cottage already.

36. Gerta Rauss says:

Gord Miller suggesting we sign Dan Petry this summer.

I guess we should be thankful we’re only down 2-0

1). Why?

2) I’d argue that a Dman’s primary responsibility it to change possession of the puck. They better they are at this, the less the other team shoots.

38. nycoil says:

OilClog:

Does the pick, Yakupov, Gagner, and Maricin get you Tavares?

Nope. Not even close. Nuge, Nurse, 1st in ’14 and 1st in ’15 maybe. Tavares is probably the second least available player in the NHL after 87. Note I am not saying he is the second best. But he is the franchise there. If he demands a trade due to management incompetence that changes things.

39. Wolfie says:

I don’t know if this has been discussed or not, but if MacT is considering an earth shaking kind of deal, is there any appetite for Ovechkin?

40. SK Oiler Fan says:

Looks like a lot of empty seats at the drug store tonight. Of course its sold out.

41. Rebilled says:

Dear Refs,

We need 94 penalties tonight and I’ll give you 94 reasons.

42. rich says:

North Dakota ties it up w/Minnesota; 8:26 left in the 3rd.

North Dakota MHockey ‏@UNDMHockey 36s

Simpson and Schmaltz get the assists on Gaarder’s goal, his ninth of the season. TV timeout with 8:26 left. Tied 1-1. SOG 31-25.

44. Marcus Oilerius says:

Can we hire Ray Ferraro as coach?

45. Clay says:

Oi, this is pretty terrible hockey. Can you imagine paying to be at this game?

46. gogliano says:

Assuming we don’t come back from this 3-0 deficit, Florida is in a pretty nice spot to take a win in their final game and cement us at 29th.

They’re playing CLB, who will be playing second half of a back to back and their 3rd game of a 4 game road trip (DAL, TBL, then FLA).

47. rich says:

UND loses a heartbreaker with .6 seconds left.

How quickly can we get Simpson signed and off to OKC?

48. G Money says:

*** SPOTLIGHT ON PETRY ***

As per my post earlier, I put the spotlight on one Jeff Petry to determine whether “seen him bad” is really a matter of seeing him bad in contradiction to the stats, or whether the ‘seen him bad’ folks are really just talking out their asses because they see one mistake and fail to see the zillions of good plays that he makes. So I tried to track every time he was near the puck to look at his positioning, his play, and the end result. Here it is for the first period (that’s all I’m going to do, hopefully someone else can pick this up for periods two and three).

0:27 Goal results from poor checking by Schultz and no checking from Nuge. No sign of Petry.

About 18:00 (no game clock visible) Petry retrrieves puck from behind net, passes to Marincin, who exits the zone quickly

15:00 Petry goes behind net, gets pass from goalie, passes across to Marincin resulting in a quick zone exit

14:18 Petry takes position in front of net then angles the puck carrier Kopitar away and around behind the net – gives him a nice shot while he’s at it (soft bastard). Puck comes up the side boards and Kopitar passes back to Gaborik. Petry collapses towards net and directs traffic after Gaborik gets the puck. Gaborik passes back to Kopitar, and Petry immediately closes on Kopitar and takes the puck from him, and then passes out of the zone. The pass is almost intercepted but bobbles a bit and still comes out and results in a cycle and a scoring chance for the second line

12:17 Petry blocks shot on pseudo broken play coming into the zone, results in quick zone exit

11:48 Puck carrier is 73 (may have numbers wrong), Petry quickly pressures him, resulting in a failed pass from 73 that becomes a giveaway to Smyth, who quickly exits the zone for a chance the other way

11:00 Goal results from bad coverage by Hendricks and Schultz

9:55 Petry skates back hard to cover what is a slightly odd man break perfectly from behind, then gets it to Gagner who skates it five feet then promptly gives it away at the line

9:25 Marincin retrieves puck in Oiler zone, passes to Petry who calmly skates it out of the zone, then passes to Hall who carries it in to the Kings zone for a shot on net.

7:40 Marincen retrieves puck dumped into zone, passes to Petry, who turns under pressure and passes the puck to Perron who skates it out to center ice

7:25 Number 71 skate out of the Kings zone towards Petry who hits him at the Oiler blueline, Petry knocks the puck off 71′s stick and chops it to the Kings blue line where Ryan Smyth misses it and it turns over again

7:20 Cross-ice pass up to 71 (Nolan again) who enters the Oilers zone; Petry rides him into the boards then knocks the puck out to the Oilers who get possession in the neutral zone

7:00 Kings enter the Oiler zone, Petry in position in front of the net (the correct position as far as I can tel). Marincin knocks Nolan off the puck and the puck goes to Nuge who exits the zone

6:51 Kings enter the zone, Petry rides his man into the boards forcing a pass into the middle, which goes off Fraser’s skate. Petry immediately leaves his check and retrieves the puck and passes to Hall on the other other side. Hall under pressure and bobbles the puck but it comes back to an Oiler and is quickly taken out of the zone

4:36 Kings try a long pass to enter the Oiler zone, Petry is right on his man and intercepts the puck then tries to pass behind the net to Marincin. Instead of bouncing, it kind of dies, going to the King player at the back side of the net, but Petry is right there to cover. Puck goes to Gagner and out resulting in a chance for Smyth

4:10 kings enter zone on delayed penalty. Would have been an odd man break with Petry in the middle defending two Kings, but one of them was offside

3:33 PK Petry fights for puck behind net. Goes out of zone

2:40 PK dump in, Petry retrieves the puck, tries to shoot out, is intercepted. Petry fights for puck immediately, loses stick in the process but the puck goes to the Oilers and they clear

I did not sandbag any of my description above, I noted the time so you can go back and see if my description is reasonable. I may have missed some, but I’m pretty sure I got every one of Petry’s touches.

There you have it. Two goals, Petry not anywhere near either of them. All he did was provide a period of good positioning, a whole bunch of calm play and quick zone exits.

He may have made two or three minor mistakes (the bounce pass to Marincin, the pressured pass to Hall, the failed clear on the PK) but in every case, they were relatively minor mistakes that did not result in a chance against, and in any case, he recovered his positioning immediately.

I don’t know what the stats said that period, but the eyes saw Petry mighty mighty good – as they do most games.

Too bad we couldn’t clone him and Marincin twice each.

Minnesota wins, UND eliminated. Simpson free to sign with Oil.

50. frjohnk says:

Minnesota wins, UND eliminated. Simpson free to sign with Oil.

I know it’s getting pretty full in OKC but he can sign and play there this year yet right?

51. admiralmark says:

Anybody see that sequence by Hall. Gets the puck tries to pass through LA sticks at the blue line it gets tipped back in with a shot on goal. Retrieves the pucks skates up the boards and the LA player tips it off his stick at the blue line and the puck re-enters the zone. Gets the puck back up the ice once AGAIN knocked off his stick at the blue line LA with a shot that rings off the post?! I know when he’s on his games its amazing but that sequence was inexcusable as a Pro.

52. teddyturnbuckle says:

29 th again yay!!!!!

53. frjohnk says:

admiralmark:

A sure sign they just want the season to end

54. teddyturnbuckle says:

LA has the ability to take all of the seasons progressions and flush them down the toilet.

55. teddyturnbuckle says:

Fasth looks slow tonight

56. Marcus Oilerius says:

Nice shift so far by Klefbom. Very impressive sortie with the first and fourth lines, kept the play alive, out of the defensive zone for the most part, and even steered Hall to cover his man.

edit: and another great shift! With the second line.

Wow, we have something here. Would love to see if Eakins tries Klefbom and Marincin together.

57. SK Oiler Fan says:

I wonder if the league office ever calls MacT to warn him that icing a roster this shitty in this league will not be tolerated. I don’t know what they could do as punishment. Fine Katz?
    This is not entertainment and they’re supposed to be in the entertainment business.
    A part of me hopes Sutter calls this org mickey mouse after the game tonight. LA will get worse after being on the ice with the Oilers tonight.

58. Rondo says:

Marcus Oilerius: Ray

That would be a good idea hiring Ray Ferraro

59. rich says:

Pretty sad state of affairs when the crowd actually cheers when you finally exit your own zone.

Season can’t end soon enough.

60. Lloyd B. says:

O Man the talking head on TSN said this could get worse before it get better. Obviously he hasn’t been watching.

61. Marcus Oilerius says:

The TSN crew, the rare moments they’re interested in the game and not debating who was drafted 4th overall in 2003, manage to find time to lament the state of the Oilers and Ray Ferraro comments “It’s not a quick fix. It may actually get worse before it gets better. Hard to believe.” (paraphrased)

sigh

Lowebellini.

62. Lloyd B. says:

Minnesota wins, UND eliminated. Simpson free to sign with Oil.

Only us die hard fans think this is positive. Sad face.

63. nycoil says:

Maybe Smytty wanted one more year and chatted with MacT but found the interest lukewarm and decided best to go out on his own terms. Am sure he didn’t want to go elsewhere again just for one more year. The man has bled copper and blue even when he has plied his trade elsewhere. Hope they can get him the record.

64. Clay says:

I know that the Oilers aren’t exactly stiff comp, but Sutter has his team playing some pretty strict hockey. They look playoff ready. I’ve even noticed Gaborik busting his ass back on the backcheck a few times.

65. tcho says:

Can’t watch as I’m busy working – are they getting b&8%ch slapped as badly as the shot clock would suggest?

66. Lloyd B. says:

tcho,

yep

67. Rebilled says:

No penalty. Only c*nts name their swords whistles.

68. rich says:

tcho,

Pretty much.

69. Gerta Rauss says:

tcho,

There is a kind of “I’d rather be somewhere else” feel to the game, and that applies to both teams, the broadcasters, and the majority of the fans

70. rich says:

Listening to Stauffer give excuses tonight for all the injuries, but that’s a BS excuse for the lack of effort they showed tonight.

Good on Ferraro for calling a spade a spade.

Top line checked out on this game. Smyth played hard, some d-men played hard and that was that.

Good luck selling tickets next season.

71. Halfwise says:

Gerta Rauss:
    tcho,

And commenters.

What a shirtshow. I’d like to have something to cheer for.

72. PunjabiOil says:

Outshot 23-3 in the third period, 48-17 on home ice against a team who played on the 2nd game of a back to back.

This transcends talent level on the team, and questioning the character of the players (including those in the core) is valid.

Honestly, the Flames rebuild could very well be ahead of the Oilers.

It’s quite sad, actually.

73. Clay says:

rich:

Good on Ferraro for calling a spade a spade.

Top line checked out on this game.Smyth played hard, some d-men played hard and that was that.

Good luck selling tickets next season.

Ya, but it’s Edmonton – the building will still sell out every night.

74. PunjabiOil says:

“They can’t only blame older guys or change their fourth line”

- Ales Hemsky

75. Clay says:

PunjabiOil:

Honestly, the Flames rebuild could very well be ahead of the Oilers.

I don’t think there’s any question. The Flames had every reason to fold this year with the team they iced, and all they did was prove everyone wrong by working hard almost every game.

The Oilers, just the opposite.

It’s really, really, really hard to cheer for this team.

76. B-Dog says:

So does Eberle+ Gagner+ next year’s first get us our #1D? Cause that core could use the wake up call and frankly I don’t think trading yak does it. I realize that 10m+ in cap space going somewhere so I would keep 15-25% of gagners contract. Is this enough to get a Weber out of Nashville?

77. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

60 minutes of regulation until curtain call. Turn the lights off and sweep the floor. It isn’t right accepting full admission price for an effort like that – especially after serving up a dollop of the same last game. If we could hang on to one thing coming out of this season, an honest effort and displaying a modicum of will to compete would be it. Yet……

I can’t stand seeing my jersey, my team, my city represented like that. At least step it up for Smitty on his last game. The guy epitomized heart and effort. Find one damn thing to motivate yourself and to justify taking good citizens money and time for showing up.

Frustrating.

78. PunjabiOil says:

Very painful that MacT talking about how he’s prepared going into next season with a marginally changed defensive corps. Maybe he’s just bluffing or doesn’t want to show his cards, but now isn’t the time to be patient anymore.

Need his actions to resemble the fire in the bell, the restlessness displayed, at the introductory press conference.

79. Bad Seed says:

Did anyone hear that Perron, RNH, Hall, and Eberle were asked to play for Team Canada & only Perron agreed to go? The way TSN worded it, was that the other three would only go if they could play together. How about that?

Bad Seed:
    Did anyone hear that Perron, RNH, Hall, and Eberle were asked to play for Team Canada & only Perron agreed to go?The way TSN worded it, was that the other three would only go if they could play together.How about that?

81. Bad Seed says:

It sounded to me like they would have went if they played together though.

82. PunjabiOil says:

Troubling. Just illustrates the self-entitlement issues surrounding the core of this group. Didn’t get selected for Sochi? Suck it up, and work harder for the next games.

It should be a honor and privilege being invited to lead your country for such games.

A guy like Ryan Smyth went every time. Despite injuries. Meanwhile, these babies are coddled (except Yakupov) both on and off the ice with no accountability. It’s no coincidence the Oilers stopped the West Edmonton Mall autograph thing around 2011.

For years we’ve heard the Oilers locker room is poisonous, about the kids not willing to listen to the veterans.

These actions merely lend another piece of evidence to such.

83. Bad Seed says:

PunjabiOil,

Hard to disagree with this.

84. PunjabiOil says:

Speaking of all sorts of troubling things tonight – if MacT does this….

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton 2h

So @NHLonTSN talk to @EdmontonOilers GM about trading 1st pick. My to Islanders for Griffin Reinhart. 4 yrs @OilKingsHockey. Know him well

85. SK Oiler Fan says:

I don’t think any of these guys like hockey right now. Go play some golf and have some beers.
    Hockey Canada won’t forget this though.

86. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

If it isn’t a privilege to wear your nation’s jersey in international hockey whenever asked, then don’t seek to wear it ever. Checking out on your nation has nothing to do with the Oilers. Speaks unbelievable volumes about their character to me. They should keep in mind their more successful peers have a number of weeks of hard work ahead of them and are grateful for it. Just what I wanted hear after tonight’s snooze fest.

87. frjohnk says:

EBERLE is banged up. I’d be surprised if he went to WC.
    The other guys could be hurt as well. They don’t have to go. Not a big deal.

And I could be mistaken but hasn’t Hall been wearing a knee brace all year. I’m sure some rest and a good summer of training would be good for him.

88. PunjabiOil says:

Hockey Canada won’t forget this though

Nor should they. They are not accomplished or experienced enough to be refusing invites to represent Canada at WHC’s.

They just aren’t.

89. Bad Seed says:

Doesn’t sound like they refused for any other reason than if they weren’t playing together, then they weren’t going. Like Punjabioil says, that reeks of entitlement issues and that really stinks. It explains a lot of things though.

90. PunjabiOil says:

The other guys could be hurt as well. They don’t have to go. Not a big deal.

Does Hall look injured? RNH’s surgery was over a year ago. He’s fine. He’s healthy.

If they truly were hurt, they wouldn’t be undecided.

This is about character.

91. regwald says:

Maybe the should accept the invite from Hockey Canada. But it’s not like Hall has reason to be excited about it after last year or the snub at the Olympics. Nuge looks gassed. Worn out. Rumours been floating that Ebs isn’t a 100%.

Ya, maybe they come across as prima donnas, but that’s too bad. Do what is best for the player.

92. icecastles says:

Reeling at the Smyth news. Been my favourite for a long, long time.

93. VanOil says:

PunjabiOil:
    This is about character.

Or is it about jumping to conclusions on a rumor of a possible maybe?

Be mad about things they have actually done, like there play in the game tonight.

94. PunjabiOil says:

That’s exactly what I mean by being coddled.

No quality veterans around to teach them how to win either.

This team being a disaster, and second worst -70 goal differential transcends holes in the lineup. Even Hall (who is my favourite player) acknowledged it’s hard to play games when the team started 4-15-2.

They mailed it in.

The Calgary Flames did not.

95. PunjabiOil says:

Or is it about jumping to conclusions on a rumor of a possible maybe?

Dregor is usually accurate on these sorts of things. He indicated all of them have been invited, and they are undecided, and leaning towards a no.

It would be one thing if 1 or 2 of them said no. The fact of the possibility all three of them saying no leads me to believe it’s more than faux injuries.

96. frjohnk says:

VanOil: Or is it about jumping to conclusions on a rumor of a possible maybe?

This.

97. regwald says:

PunjabiOil:

That’s exactly what I mean by being coddled.

No quality veterans around to teach them how to win either.

This team being a disaster, and second worst -70 goal differential transcends holes in the lineup.Even Hall (who is my favourite player) acknowledged it’s hard to play games when the team started 4-15-2.

They mailed it in.

The Calgary Flames did not.

Yes, the gap of veteran leadership that Tambo started and MacT continues to support (moved Smid and Hemsky) is a problem. You can’t expect 22 yr old kids to compete and beat out men night in night out in the NHL. Just not going to happen.

98. PunjabiOil says:

But what does it say when players are being called out for not playing the system designed by the coach?

There was a lot that went wrong this year, and you can’t fault it all on the kids. The lack of depth was concerning, rookie head coach, poor goaltending, etc. That said, the compete (or lackoff) was very concerning and inconsistent.

At some point, the core needs to accept some level of responsibility for it. They’ve now all completed their ELC’s.

99. regwald says:

PunjabiOil,

It’s possible they are just not ready to step up to where they need to be to be competitive. We see them as millionaire hockey players, but they are expected to carry the team – maybe before they are ready.

100. Ribs says:

Bad Seed:

Lindy Ruff.

101. dangilitis says:

Lloyd B.: Llo

That’s a bit of B.S. on whether or not the jersey should be retired or not.

Trevor Linden: 867 pts in 1382 GP (0.63 pts/game), had his jersey retired.
    Ryan Smyth: 842 pts in 1268 GP (0.66 pts/game).

Neither are HOF, but the jersey honour is more than just points.

For Canucks:
    Linden 1st all time in GP 1138
    4th all time points (733)
    Top 5 in GWG, assists, PPG, SHG
    1st in playoff points, goals, assists, GP (not much to contend with)- 95 pts/118 GP as Canuck for 0.8 ppg
    2 all-star teams, King Clancy, All-rookie team
    Captain Canuck
    (14 pts in 30 GP international, WJC Gold)

For Oilers:
    Smyth 2nd all time in GP 970 (971 by end of season)
    6th all time points (631)
    T-1 in PPG, fastest hat trick; Top 5 in GWG, goals, shots
    Big advantage to Linden in playoff performance. But Smytty had 46 pts in 68 GP (0.68 ppg) as Oiler, often with weaker teammates and much of that time as an inexperienced player.
    1 All-Star team
    Captain Canada
    (44 pts in 85 GP international, with WJC, World Championship, World Cup, Olympic Golds and Spengler Cup)

I would be just fine if the Oilers honoured Smyth with a jersey retirement. He has entrenched himself in the Oilers record books which is all the more impressive considering the era in which he played relative to most of the other players on the franchise all-time best lists. And while his international play can be separated, all of his major achievements came as an Oiler, making him a great ambassador for the team for the better part of a decade. Although it would strengthen the case to retire Lowe’s jersey, in all honesty.

102. frjohnk says:

PunjabiOil:

There was a lot that went wrong this year, and you can’t fault it all on the kids.The lack of depth was concerning, rookie head coach, poor goaltending, etc.That said, the compete (or lackoff) was very concerning and inconsistent.

At some point, the core needs to accept some level of responsibility for it.They’ve now all completed their ELC’s.

So Hall scored at a pace that would have put him in the top 5 if not for that knee injury in which he missed 7 games. EBERLE scored around where one would suspect. Rnh was probably not 100% until close to the Olympic break die to his shoulder.

These 3 ARE NOT THE PROBLEM.

103. dangilitis says:

Lowetide: Meh. If these guys need some fresh air, I don’t think anyone can blame them. Four long damn years, and three for Nuge.

How is competing for Canada with other top talents with an actual chance of playing meaningful games and bringing back a medal NOT a breath of fresh air, especially for guys used to winning?

If they don’t play, and are not injured, that to me is a red flag. All the more red when juxtaposed with the impending retirement of Captain Canada, who rarely, if ever, turned down a chance to represent his country.

104. stevezie says:

dangilitis,

As a player, Lowe’s jersey should be retired. No question.

I would retire Smyth’s. Why not? True, he didn’t win the cup, nor he he spend his entire career here, but we loved him, and he loved us. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

105. stevezie says:

dangilitis,

I think it is fair for Hockey Canada to factor that into future decisions, but I don’t consider it a “character” issue. Maybe they just don’t care about international play. Does that make you a bad person? Why? Who cares?

Iginla never played in the worlds, and no one ever questioned his character. We question his dedication to Team Canada, but not his character. I don’t think the two need go hand in hand.

106. PunjabiOil says:

Well said. I believe the first time Smyth declined was when he was 31 (after being traded to the Islanders) and near the downtrend of his career.

There really is no excuse for all 3 of them to decline – especially when they’re in their early 20′s. The fact they are “undecided” seems to suggest injury issues (if any) are minor.

It’s a red flag, no doubt.

Jarome Iginla. Did he go every year? I’ve forgotten.

108. LP says:

I was at the game.

Not bad tickets, was pretty full – way more than I thought. The beers were average, the seats were small and uncomfortable.

Oh and the Oilers were terrible as I’m sure you all saw.

What’s up with Ryan Smyth? Retiring? For real??

:-/

109. kooler says:

if you take away the first 25 games of the year away (4-21 record)….would the oilers have made the playoffs?

110. PunjabiOil says:

Lowetide: respectfully disagree with your stance.

If seasoned veterans like Martin St. Louis (2013), Eric Staal (2013), Jay Bouwmeester (2012), Duncan Keith (2012), Ryan Getzlaf (2012), Andrew Ladd (2012), Corey Perry (2012), Patrick Sharp (2012), Matt Duchene (2011, 2013), Jason Spezza (2011), Ryan Smyth (2012 Spengler Cup) don’t think they’re above playing the World championships, there is no reason unaccomplished kids can’t play in some meaningful games for their country.

Just sickening.

111. jb says:

Woodguy:

Total shots is more of a team possession stat. D man have the greatest impact on where those shots are coming from.

112. jp says:

DBO:
    So yeah Smythretiring makesme sad.Going out like this is painful. But he’ll be a coach in 2 or 3 years with the Oil.

I suspect we’ll only have to wait 5-6 months, with an official announcement much earlier than that.

Early retirement with a nice assistant coaching package? Sounds not too bad for all involved…

113. stevezie says:

PunjabiOil: there is no reason unaccomplished kids can’t play in some meaningful games for their country.

I agree with this.

PunjabiOil: Just sickening.

This is a reach.

114. jp says:

Ribs: Lindy Ruff.

Yes, this.

115. jb says:

PunjabiOil:
    Lowetide:respectfully disagree with your stance.

Just sickening.

I think your overstating this.. For one it’s only the worlds.. Aka the tournament of players from loser teams. Id rather see those 3 guys come into next season healthy.

116. PunjabiOil says:

An extra 2 weeks (many against the France or Denmark’s) of the worlds isn’t going to fatigue them. They’ll have 4.5 months to recover.

If a 37 year old Martin St. Louis or Stanley Cup winners in Eric Staal or Ryan Getzlaf/Corey Perry have no trouble saying yes, I don’t see any valid reason for unmarried kids 23 or younger to decline to get some meaningful games/experience under their belt.

117. dangilitis says:

stevezie:
    dangilitis,

I didn’t say that neglecting WC makes one a bad person. But it makes me question someone’s dedication to improvement/achievement in the sport, and passion for playing for the maple leaf/respect for the country that nurtured and supported one’s dreams, Perron is playing at WC without batting an eye, and he’s probably the toughest SOB per square foot on the team. That doesn’t mean he’s a better person, but I don’t think his commitment has been questioned.

And I have questioned Iginla’s character based upon his dismissals. Many question the Canadians who don’t play in WC, the issue is just that there are too many of them to single out. Picking and choosing when to play for Canada when Canada’s overall ranking depends mostly on the last 3-4 WC and just 1 Olympics in the 4 year cycle is baffling. It could be a pretty great team even with several NHL teams off limits, just as long as some of the best remaining answer the bell. Russia and Scandanavians get it, and that’s why US and Canada rankings have suffered. Ovie always answers the bell, and he gets my respect for that, same goes for all the Russians who rarely turn down a chance to play for their country.

118. dangilitis says:

stevezie:
    dangilitis,

As a player, Lowe’s jersey should be retired. No question.

Agreed – I was just using some stats to back up that he has a place in Oilers history, not just in our hearts, and that if we set the criteria for jersey retirement going forward as a point per game forward or a 1000 point forward, then the rare and special players like Smytty and Linden wouldn’t get their due.

And agreed with Lowe as well, I said strengthens his case (which is a pretty goof one already).

119. OilClog says:

PunjabiOil:

An extra 2 weeks (many against the France or Denmark’s) of the worlds isn’t going to fatigue them.They’ll have 4.5 months to recover.

If they don’t go, does someone kill your cat? You can’t have a dog, no way you’re a dog person. These three guys are our top line, all having missed time from injuries. Screw the WHC’s! Summer recover and starting the season off right is the only concern.

120. OilClog says:

dangilitis: I didn’t say that neglecting WC makes one a bad person. But it makes me question someone’s dedication to improvement/achievement in the sport, and passion for playing for the maple leaf/respect for the country that nurtured and supported one’s dreams,Perron is playing at WC without batting an eye, and he’s probably the toughest SOB per square foot on the team. That doesn’t mean he’s a better person, but I don’t think his commitment has been questioned.

That Russian record sure is pretty spectacular :)

121. art vandelay says:

Ryan Smyth is retiring?
    Who is going to maintain the High Level Bridge?
    #BubSlug
    #ScoredEveryGoalOffHisAss

122. B-Dog says:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hall and company are just waiting to see which coaches are going to be apart of Canada this year. You can’t blame Hall for that since last year’s WHC probably cost Hall a spot on the Olympic squad.

123. anonymous says:

I like all the kids but the double standard is glaring. Whether its Eakins, fans or media, how would Yak be treated if he was still playing and turned down an invite to the worlds?

124. Braintrust says:

Who would have thought that the most critical game of the year for us would be game #82 between Florida and Columbus?! There was serious joy from my Oiler friends last night when we found out that Florida beat Toronto and that we lost to L.A. If Florida wins on Saturday, it doesn’t matter what happens in our game. Remember, “Bad for EKBLAD”….It is the ONLY way….

125. pboy says:

PunjabiOil:

There’s a good chance that you need to calm the fuck down. Lots and lots and lots of good ol CDN boys have turned down invites from the Worlds.

Have you played NHL hockey? Are you inside these kids heads or bodies and therefore understand how they physically feel right now? How about their mental fatigue after another brutal campaign? How about how Hall felt after getting screwed over by the Hockey writers last year because they didn’t know what wing Ovechkin played? Or the fact that he didn’t only not make it to Sochi but he was barely mentioned? Or maybe Ebs is hurting or RNH has a girlfriend who’s been begging him to take her to Mexico? We don’t know, you certainly don’t. Get off of your high horse already. Another brutal season here in the City of Champions.

126. sliderule says:

I am sure Hall has had it up to here with both Pascalls and hockey canada.

He has been wearing a leg brace which prevents injury but he would still have pain.

I would all three don’t have to worry about hockey canada snubbing them if they make the playoffs and play well HC will be on their knees begging them.

127. admiralmark says:

I would not be surprised if all three due to injuries, fatigue, the Ruff treatment decided to pass on the WC’s this year. Who really cares! Yah i get it its team Canada. But there is a giant difference between Team Canada in the Olympics and Team Canada at the WC’s. It really makes little to no difference if this trio takes a summer off.

Having said that I think it would be good for them to get away from town for a month. Have some fun playing some meaningful hockey games and they would likely find that it did refresh them menatally. But if they have injuries they want to rest I dont blame them at all. And if they just decide there head isnt in it then they shouldn’t go either. But they also shouldn’t have to listen to this made up crap on here by posters guessing that its because they are prima donnas.

« Older Comments