It’s lottery night! Scott Howson represents the Oilers, he’s up against other men in suits! The Oilers will end the night with either the first, third or fourth selection in the Entry Draft.
- C Sam Reinhart, Kootenay Ice (WHL). I think he punched his ticket for #1 overall with a terrific finish to the regular season. In his final 20 games, Reinhart posted 12-28-40 boxcars, and then he started killing giant bears with a pocketknife in the playoffs.
- D Aaron Ekblad, Barrie Colts (OHL). He was rolling at a point per game pace until the final 20 games, but his overall talent level includes terrific defensive value. I’m not sure he’s going to improve a lot from this moment on, but Ekblad is clearly a top flight prospect.
- C Sam Bennett, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL). This is a really good NHL prospect. Although he lacks size (6.00, 181), he plays with an edge and finished the season very well. In Bennett’s final 16 games, he scored 9-14-23 with Kingston. He possesses a wide range of skills.
- C Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL). In his final 21 regular season games, he went 19-26-45. He plays on a good not great club and his team needed outstanding performances just to get into the playoffs.
- L Nikolaj Ehlers, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL): Nikolaj Ehlers is a skilled winger with exceptional hands. He’s a fine passer and a pure goal scorer. Trending prospect, he could go anywhere from #3-#15.
If the Oilers don’t win the lottery tonight, Leon Draisaitl will be the pick. Book it.