OILERS AT COYOTES, G78 13-14

There are still things to look forward to in this long, miserable season. Five games left to click off the schedule, and little time to post crooked numbers for some of these Oilers. Here are 10 things I want to see before the schedule ends:

1. Ryan Smyth scoring a power-play goal. I don’t care how he gets it—in fact, I’m a bit pissed Phil Larsen didn’t point at Smyth and say “it hit him, I saw it” the other night on his goal. Smyth was there in 1997 and 1998 and 2006, but most of his wonderful career has been spent on addled teams. I hope he comes back for one more season, I think he would be an exceptional 4line LW for this team.
  2. 80 points for Taylor Hall. No Oiler has reached that mark since Doug Weight posted 90 in 2000-01.
  3. Three wins and a tie. If the Oilers go 3-1-1 in their last five, their final record will be 29-43-10, and it will mean the club went 17-19-7 since starting 12-24-3. If they go 0-4-1, they’ll be 26-46-10, and go 14-22-7 since starting 12-24-3. I know, it doesn’t matter. But hang it all, TURN NORTH!
  4. Nuge scores 20. He needs two more.
  5. One of the three Oilers at 26 goals (Hall, Eberle and Perron) pops 30. Eberle did it a couple of years ago, would be nice to see one do it this season.
  6. More strong play from Marincin.
  7. The game slowing down for Klefbom.
  8. One good game from Gagner, so we’ll have something positive to remember him by.
  9. A hat-trick for Boyd Gordon. He’s earned it.
  10. A 12-save shutout for Ben Scrivens. Oilers owe him one. Or several.

I have a theory about this summer and it goes like this: Craig MacTavish is going to send a lot of players down the line. His in-season tinkering includes overhauling the goaltending (adding Scrivens, Fasth, Brossoit) but he’s had to keep his powder dry on the blueline. I believe we could see a lot of turnover this summer, and if the club starts next season with only Schultz, Ference and Marincin from the current group it wouldn’t be a surprise.

Which brings me to Jeff Petry. I have no evidence, beyond the rumblings of the media who have contact with the Oilers, but it does seem as though the bloom is off the rose in a Laddy Smid kind of way. Please don’t misunderstand, I think Petry is the best defenseman on the team, but I believe we should brace ourselves for a ‘Petry plus for Jason Smith-type’ trade over the summer.

Think Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz, except MacT in charge and getting a better return.

hall combine1The top 20 prospects from summer 2010 has just about sussed itself out. Edmonton got some very good value, and from surprise areas. Hall was a no-brainer, Eberle has been more than we could have hoped and I do think Jeff Petry is a solid NHL defenseman. There are still men trying to establish themselves these years later (I’ll include Paajarvi, Marincin, Pitlick, Lander, Dubnyk) but the overall thrust of that prospect list is Hall-Eberle and some support.

I thought Paajarvi would be a better player, and still think he’ll have a long, solid career. We cannot, at this point, question the trade for Perron though; that turned out to be a quality move.

Most disappointing? I’ll pick Curtis Hamilton. The numbers and scouting report were very promising, it just didn’t happen for him. I’ve seen and heard people talking about Pitlick and Hamilton being hurt by graduating a year early, but that doesn’t seem like enough to destroy a career. They weren’t 150 pounds or anything.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

adams3Lowdown hits at 10 on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Bigmouth Sports. Playoff race, Oates on Ovechkin, Gillis.
  • Anthony Birchak, MMA Champion and anti-bullying champion. We’ll talk about both.
  • Alex Thomas, Oilers Rig. I’ll make him say ‘chowda!’ and we’ll talk about Oilers moves this summer.

It’s a fluid (I’m not drinking) morning, will update as we roll along! @Lowetide_ on the twitter machine and 10-1260 texting.

323 Responses to "OILERS AT COYOTES, G78 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Pouzar says:

oliveoilers: Lol, just for you:

Newfoundland:Where is everybody?

Not in Winnipeg

2. icecastles says:

Lowetide: For the love of anything they hold dear, PLEASE BRING US PK SUBBAN!!!!!

Would we really have an honest shot though? The ask would surely be spectacular. he’s not susceptible to offer sheets, is he?

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

C. If we can make such heart felt defenses on giving Yak time to find his game (i’m ok with it) – we should do the same with Lander. It is clear this is a player that takes some time to cement his fit into each higher echelon of play he reaches. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be the case here as he finds his footing in the NHL. He is a cerebral, honest player that plays a legit two-way game. Teams need men like this and when he gets more time and maturity I can certainly see him as a 40 point, responsible top nine player that helps teams go deep in the playoffs and he’ll be fully developed by the Oilers and be the right age. He has an unfettered history of being a leader. Let’s be patient here and not fixate too much on the points – he’s been MUCH less of a liability than Yak. He brings more to the team than strictly offense – and I include in that consideration to be an Oilers captain one day.

If Detroit could wait another 1.5 years for Nyquist, and the Oilers could wait another 2 full years for Arcobello, I don’t see why so many people want to give up on Lander.

At worst, he will be a beast for AHL squad, providing necessary offense for a team developing D. Lander’s produced with everyone this year in the AHL. Ryan Hamilton and Will Acton are certainly not doing that, and earning premium AHL dollars, which means they are fails as AHL signings.

In the short term, Lander provides really good centre depth for the Oilers next year as a tweener.

He almost certainly has a career as a 4th line player in the NHL if he wants it.

And there is still a chance that he can be a 3rd line centre. On a Detroit over-ripening pace, the Oilers should wait two more years to find out.

godot10: In response to JW’s article on ON throwing Lander under the bus, I noted that at the same age Arcobello was splitting a season between Stockton and OKC, and Gustav Nyquist was still 1.5 seasons from exploding into the NHL after a season in the AHL pointwise similar to Lander’s.

If Detroit could wait another 1.5 years for Nyquist, and the Oilers could wait another 2 full years for Arcobello,I don’t see why so many people want to give up on Lander.

At worst, he will be a beast for AHL squad, providing necessary offense for a team developing D.Lander’s produced with everyone this year in the AHL.Ryan Hamilton and Will Acton are certainly not doing that, and earning premium AHL dollars, which means they are fails as AHL signings.

And there is still a chance that he can be a 3rd line centre.On a Detroit over-ripening pace, the Oilers should wait two more years to find out.

That’s not close to reality. JW and I disagree on certain prospects, but I’ve never known him to throw a player under the bus. He examined the player, the opportunity and made a call.

5. theres oil in virginia says:

godot10,

Leaving aside the part about JW trashing Lander (which he didn’t do), I agree with the rest of your assessment. I think Lander needs another contract, but he hasn’t proven he’s yet an NHL level player who can accomplish much. He hasn’t looked out of place, but he’s on the Oilers, so that’s not really saying much. I hope they’re not giving up on him yet.

6. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy: I only want guys who were good in the NHL this year.

Long shots are ok if they aren’t in the money positions.

1/2C is a money spot.

3/4 C. Never that big a risk at 1/2.

7. icecastles says:

Lowetide: That’s not close to reality.

Just picture the shopping cart.

That said, outside of the ‘bus throwing under’, most of what he says rings true. And it’s the exact kind of contract that could look like the elusive value signing a couple years down the road.

I think Lander has enough promise that if he were signed for a few years rather than yet another bridge deal where we are forced to overpay as soon as he starts living up to his potential, the risk is low. I believe he’ll have value as an affordable NHLer, either here, or as a trade piece to another team.

8. gogliano says:

If Petry does go out the door, one scenario that makes sense from a “good deal” perspective is being the “Eric Brewer” in a 3 FOR 1 trade for a bona fide #1 dman. Like PK Subban. There isn’t a team in the league that can lose that kind of player without taking a player back who can at least pretend to fill a first pairing spot.

Balance issues and all that but if you have PK then you are worrying about filling a slot further down the lineup.

Not likely but still more likely than that magical deal for the gap-toothed **ick.

9. David says:

icecastles: No way am I getting on this bandwagon for the simple reason that it’s just too tantalizing. But lordy, would that be a coup and the probably biggest Oilers deal since Pronger.

He will be an RFA so he is open to offer sheets. An 8 million per year offer only costs us two firsts a second and a third. I bet Montreal would match but there would be no harm in trying. As long as we offered after taking this years pick. Which I believe has to be done.

//Long Lost Lander. Twenty-two games into 2013-14, Anton Lander remains stuck at one assist.
    I can’t help thinking that’s going to kill his Oilers career, and possibly his NHL ambitions…

…But he can’t score, and he’s not a good enough player to get by on zero offence at the NHL level.
    There are five games left in the season. There’s no downside to leaving Lander in a feature role (and precious few alternatives anyway), and so he probably has exactly that long to show something. He’d better. //

So Arcobello gets two more years, and everyone, including JW loves him. Gustav Nyquist gets two more years, and everyone thinks Detroit leaving their prospects in the AHL to over-ripen is genius.

But Lander gets 5 more games, out of position, in a NON-featured role (you are NOT being featured if you are playing out of position.) That is throwing him under the bus.

The tone is an endorsement of that point-of-view, not of a condemnation for shortsightedness and impatience. IMHO

icecastles: Just picture the shopping cart.

I cheer like hell for all the Oiler kids, but Lander especially because of the Doug Jarvis connection. For me, I wonder how he’s going to get his goals in the NHL.

Lander PP: 43, 10-16-26
    Lander PK: 43, 0-0-0

Lander EV: 43, 8-14-22 .511

Lander isn’t going to get PP time in the NHL, and he’s not going to get top flight linemates. I’m cheering like hell for him, but offense is part of the game.

You have to score some of the time.

godot10:

So Arcobello gets two more years, and everyone, including JW loves him.Gustav Nyquist gets two more years, and everyone thinks Detroit leaving their prospects in the AHL to over-ripen is genius.

The clock is ticking on Lander. That isn’t related to Arcobello. I do agree Arco ate Lander’s lunch, though.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think it will take a miracle for the Oilers to sign Lander at this point.

It’s a crap situation IMO. I think he’s a better hockey player than a lot of fools we’ve seen come and go.

One lingering thought I have… if they don’t sign him and he ends up elsewhere… what could they have gotten for him at the deadline? there were a number of reports of scouts at OKC games in the run up. I imagine he was a target.

14. VanOil says:

I would love to see Gernat converted to a forward if the Defensive depth chart in front of him gets to steep.

15. Marcus Oilerius says:

Sigh… Stupid baseball, stupid Sportsnet.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I think it will take a miracle for the Oilers to sign Lander at this point.

17. David says:

Charlotte down 4-1 after 2 periods to San Antonio. This weekend is going to be huge for the Barons.

18. icecastles says:

Wonder if these Fox announcers are going to bother actually calling the game some time soon. For almost a full minute of play they just droned on disinterestedly about random shit.

It’s like stream of consciousness from two guys who are barely conscious.

19. hunter1909 says:

Talk about the worst fucking hockey imaginable. Fucking zero entertainment value, lol.

Compared to the Yotes, Eakins Oilers are the 1973 Montreal Canadiens.

20. hunter1909 says:

At least the Oilers are horrible. Horrible, after 8 years out of the playoffs seems like a waterfall with 70 virgins, compared to the garbage “style” the Yotes(and LAKings) play. The Yotes degrade hockey to the level of the labour battalion.

hunter1909:

Compared to the Yotes, Eakins Oilers are the 1973 Montreal Canadiens.

22. hunter1909 says:

I really hate the Phoenix coach.

23. Lloyd B. says:

Lowetide: They’ll qualify him, I don’t think there’s much doubt about it. He’ll want a one-way, they may or may not give it to him. That’s the tea leaves I’m reading.

If he has a one way does he need to clear waivers? If not then it may make sense to give him a couple years at league minimum. Else, is league minimum enough to keep somebody looking for a diamond in the rough to claim him?

24. hunter1909 says:

Like the Oilers, right? Right?

25. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909: Lowetide: That was a good team in transition. Frank Mahovlich and Henri Richard were on it, plus Butch Bouchard’s boy who couldn’t skate but they were so deep it didn’t matter. Lafleur-Shutt but also Cournoyer Lemaire and of course big Larry Robinson who was awesome from the start.
    Like the Oilers, right? Right?

Okay without the first part.

The part about a good team, I seriously forget.

26. Gerta Rauss says:

I can’t help but like this Larsen kid-I’m not sure where he fits if he’s playing forward but I like him

27. hunter1909 says:

The Yotes coach looks like the little kid from “Gentle Ben”, but grown up. I hated that kid.

I vote “keep Dallas” if they’re going to try to get Tippet to replace him.

28. spoiler says:

Schultz the trailer boy, parks it. No sign of any shopping carts.

29. hunter1909 says:

I missed the goal as was too busy publishing tripe.

30. Gerta Rauss says:

Lloyd B.,

He needs to clear waivers-the one way/two way only affects how much he gets paid. A one way may actually prevent him from getting claimed because he’ll be making an NHL salary whether he plays in the NHL or not

31. icecastles says:

I had literally dozed off when I was snapped awake by the Fox play-by-play guy saying, “Oh a goal!” These guys are absolutely the worst. I don’t think they’ve done 5 minutes of actual play-by-play yet this game.

Days like this I’m almost tempted to buy a TV and get cable.

32. Gerta Rauss says:

Calgary beats Florida in regulation.

We’ve cut all the other pretenders loose, but that Florida team just keeps hanging around

33. namflashback says:

Gerta Rauss:

Right now, he has enough hustle to get inon the forecheck. As a winger, he’s making good plays on the boards too. Compared to Joensuu or Gadzic, this 4th line has some speed and (useful) banging.

34. Lloyd B. says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks for this. I was afraid that was the answer.. At league minimum I’m afraid he may get claimed by a team that needs a 3C that is 3/4s developed. One last Question. If he signs a deal and then gets sent down at training camp does he still need to be waived? If not how does Detroit get to keep their players in the minors to “over-ripen”.? Ok that was two questions.

35. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Calgary beats Florida in regulation.

This Oilers team is incredible at losing.

If Rommel had the tanking ability of this team we’d all be speaking Deutch.

36. oliveoilers says:

DeBrusk on fine form: “If Larsen keeps this up, he’ll find himself playing on a higher line.”

That’ll keep Taylor from coasting.

Those who can’t, commentate.

37. oliveoilers says:

hunter1909: This Oilers team is incredible at losing.

If Rommel had the tanking ability of this team we’d all be speaking Deutch.

Jawohl, Herr Kartopflkopf!

38. Gerta Rauss says:

Lloyd B.,

The Oilers have to expose him to waivers if they can’t find a roster spot for him on the NHL team. I think he would get claimed but at that time of year(training camp) there are a lot of teams trimming rosters so he might squeak through.

I don’t know how Detroit keeps drafting kids and polishing them into NHL players, all I can say is their franchise is much better than the franchise we cheer for.

39. jp says:

Have we mentioned Martin Marincin is a wonderful hockey player?

40. hunter1909 says:

It looks like 20 Ryan Smyth’s playing hockey out there . 20 on each team.

41. icecastles says:

Gerta Rauss: I don’t know how Detroit keeps drafting players and polishing them into NHL players, all I can say is their franchise is much better than the franchise we cheer for.

42. hunter1909 says:

oliveoilers: Jawohl, Herr Kartopflkopf!

haha my battle of Britain vet uncle died saying the wrong side won the war.

43. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles,

Number 2 is New Jersey or San Jose.

44. David says:

Charlotte lost.

45. spoiler says:

I am literally flabbergasted at how many times we have had three men back for Phoenix’s zone entries.

oliveoilers:
    DeBrusk on fine form:“If Larsen keeps this up, he’ll find himself playing on a higher line.”

That’ll keep Taylor from coasting.

Those who can’t, commentate.

Ha!

47. spoiler says:

What a shift by Hendricks in the Coyote crease.

48. hunter1909 says:

It feels like I’m watching this game just to spite myself.

49. SK Oiler Fan says:

Did MAB ever play forward? Larsson playing up makes a guy think how many more fringe dmen would be better suited to forward. I’m sure many of them would be better than a lot of 4 liners .
    While they’re at it they should throw j Shultz up there to. Fk this team needs some actual Dmen.
    It’s actually a nice option to have a utility player when injuries hit.

50. spoiler says:

No need for Petry to take that one.

51. Lloyd B. says:

icecastles: From an organizational standpoint, Detroit is the best in the league and I don’t think #2 is even close. NOBODY stays competitive for that long. It’s just amazing.

Detroit had a huge advantage before the salary cap days. They let the other teams develop the draftees and then pay them what the others couldn’t to attract them to come to Detroit. Given that the cap has been around for about 10 years that advantage is just coming to an end now. Too bad a deep pocketed owner such as Katz, wasn’t around at the time here. I know a number of the EIG guys and they were perfect for the time. They kept the team here!! However, they had to run it like a business and did. No extra cheese pizza money to throw around. We’re coming around but it will take a few more years for the playing field to be completely leveled. It’s painful but I believe these guys are actually rebuilding the organization the right way in a cap world. And no…I’m not Mrs. Lowe. :)

52. spoiler says:

hunter1909: It feels like I’m watching this game just to spite myself.

I always thought that was why you watched all the games.

Non-playoff, that is, which is all the games.

53. hunter1909 says:

LOL

54. hunter1909 says:

spoiler,

LOL

55. spoiler says:

Fuck that was a stupid penalty… we had good mo’, were paying smart and then… Oilers.

56. Pouzar says:

Where’s the penalty there? MM got mugged

57. spoiler says:

Never seen a post deserve so much to be a goal.

58. hunter1909 says:

Yotes look like dead bedbugs in those dumbass dead blood red unis.

59. oliveoilers says:

hunter1909: haha my battle of Britain vet uncle died saying the wrong side won the war.

My Grandad said the best thing to come out of France was the German Army.

60. spoiler says:

Have the Oil given up an odd man rush this game so far? I don’t recall one, unless it was early in the 1st.

61. admiralmark says:

Hemsky out with shoulder injury tonight. Raise your hand if this surprises anyone?

62. SK Oiler Fan says:

Replacing Shultz and Smid with Marincin and Kbomb has made this D watchable again. They’re certainly not missing Ference. To be fair it sounds like he was a wounded duck. When 2 rookie D come in and are your best Dmen what does that say about the D you started with?
    I hope MacT learned a lot about D this year.

63. hunter1909 says:

Come on Phoenix. It’s your birthday.

Good battle by Lander there. Impressive.

65. Pouzar says:

Man that Klefbom looks pretty damn good

66. icecastles says:

It’s funny… I have a soft spot for Phoenix and they really need this game to get into the playoffs. Wasn’t totally sure who I would be happier to have win this game: strategically, it is better for both teams if Phoenix takes it. But the moment they scored there, I let out a mighty, “FUCK!” Guess I really want the Oilers to win.

67. icecastles says:

Please, Phoenix colour guy, tell us again that the captain “couldn’t get it up.”

Oh my, he just followed it up by pointing out that he couldn’t get it up while Scrivens was spread eagle. Really, dude? REALLY???

68. Pouzar says:

icecastles:

At least they didn’t say he shoulda went Five Hole.

69. SK Oiler Fan says:

Man, this team could use a Yandle and OEL.

70. spoiler says:

Oh my god.

71. icecastles says:

WAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

72. Pouzar says:

Bout f^ckin time we got one of those

73. Marcus Oilerius says:

SAM GAGNER DON’T YOU KNOW FLORIDA LOST TONIGHT?! :p

74. Gerta Rauss says:

That’s a little payback by the Gords. We’ve played 9 quality periods in a row and we were 40 seconds away from having nothing to show for it.

75. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius: SAM GAGNER DON’T YOU KNOW FLORIDA LOST TONIGHT?! :p

Some of us still cheer for the Oilers to win hockey games, not lotteries.

76. Pouzar says:

icecastles: Some of us still cheer for the Oilers to win hockey games, not lotteries.

Best of both worlds…I’ll take a win and a Top 4 pick worse case.

77. speeds says:

Can always cheer for both, EDM could still win the lottery either way.

78. oliveoilers says:

Eakins was standing in front of an advertising board on the bench looks like it reads “Butt Wild”.

79. icecastles says:

speeds: Can always cheer for both, EDM could still win the lottery either way.

And then we get Subban on an offer sheet. SWOOOON

80. icecastles says:

For a boring regulation, that was a fantastic overtime. And for a shitty hockey team, we have some absolutely sick talents.

81. SK Oiler Fan says:

That was an entertaining 4 on 4. Tippet must have hated it.

82. hunter1909 says:

oliveoilers:

We’ve only just moved on from “Chickenhawk” references.

83. Gerta Rauss says:

Hendricks failed to get it up

84. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear

85. Gerta Rauss says:

That shootout move may ensure Gagners employment with another organization this summer. Filthy.

86. rich says:

Good for Gagner. Does this qualify as his big night for LT?

87. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s fin ridonculous by 89 there.

88. icecastles says:

Well. That was…. unusual. ButI’m a happy, happy clam. What an ending. What a game for Samwise. I really hope they don’t trade him. Wouldn’t mind if they trade his half-beard though…

89. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve resigned myself to being a fan of the 28th place club. Florida has us beat this year for craptitude.

90. Marcus Oilerius says:

speeds: Can always cheer for both, EDM could still win the lottery either way.

I’m not going to complain if we win.

But I also understand that we are facing the difference between Mackinnon vs Drouin or Kane vs van Riemsdyk vs Hickey.

91. fifthcartel says:

I’m happy they might finish 3rd, bring on Draisaitl/Bennett.

Butt Wild choosing Hendricks tells me he’s using Flinestone vitamins.

93. steveb12344 says:

I think Coach likes K-Bom.

Towards the end of the game it seemed like he barely left the ice. Pretty impressive for the youngster.

94. Numenius says:

Nice win. I’m happy Gagner could be the hero.

I saw Klefbom good today. I especially liked the beautiful tape to tape two line cross ice pass near the end of the 3rd, perfectly avoiding the Coyotes defenders. Just gorgeous.

Lander also did some very nice things to my eye. Too bad he couldn’t bury that chance in the first.

95. Pouzar says:

Assuming worse case, we could get anybody at 4. I could see Ekblad ,Leon, or Bennett there. The only guy I can’t see falling to 4 is Reinhart.

96. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Butt Wild choosing Hendricks tells me he’s using Flinestone vitamins.

97. SK Oiler Fan says:

spoiler: Hendrick’s record in the shootouts is 20% higher than Gagner’s, if I read that graphic correctly.

This is why being a smartass never works for me.

99. Pouzar says:

Is it possible Klefbom is playing better at the NHL than he ever did at the AHL level? I think Debrusk was speaking to that a few games ago. You can really see the kids confidence level growing.

100. GeorgeOrwell says:

Good win for the OIl.

Not sure if this was brought up, as it s a few days old now, but Dillon Simpson was named to the All-CHN First Team by the College Hockey News. Nice bit of recognition for the young man (still only 21!!!).

Also, he blocks a lot of shots – 107 in 41 games!

101. fifthcartel says:

Looks like Oilers won due to the late momentum swing.

102. spoiler says:

Was 9 for 17 career coming into this game.

103. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius:It also bugs me that I can’t point to any of the recent Oilers drafts and note the difference between 1 and 2 with confidence.

104. Andy P says:

hunter1909: We’ve only just moved on from “Chickenhawk” references.

I was unaware of the ramifications of that name when I applied it to Eakins.

105. spoiler says:

Lowetide: This is why being a smartass never works for me.

lol!

106. spoiler says:

SK Oiler Fan: If this is what KBomb and Marincin bring next year I don’t know how they don’t make the team. Mobile, reach, compete level, flashes of offense.

I think it would take a dire turn of events for K-bomb not to make the team next year. I saw him very good tonight. Maybe better than Marincin, this game. And who did Butt Wild have on the ice for the last minute of regulation?

107. Numenius says:

Hendricks-beauties in the shootout:

It’s his only move, but it’s a damn good one.

108. cabbiesmacker says:

icecastles: I’d say the Hall/Seguin question has long been settled. Seguin is a great player and will have an elite career, but he couldn’t carry Taylor Hall’s jockstrap.

Yeah that Seguin’s a real bum isn’t he?

ridiculous

109. art vandelay says:

Seguin couldn’t carry Hall’s jockstrap b/c his arms are full carrying around the 2011 replica Stanley Cup.

110. Marcus Oilerius says:

I personally don’t argue, but I figured if I brought Hall/Seguin up, somebody here might point out Seguin’s improvement this season. IMO the difference is probably in defence quality more than Seguin being better… but that’s the problem. I’d have to make the argument.

111. cabbiesmacker says:

art vandelay:

Well theres that and carrying his team with the help of “one” other skilled forward at a tougher position

art vandelay:

Hmmm. This isn’t vintage Art.

113. 719 says:

Numenius: It’s his only move, but it’s a damn good one.

The wife says that about me to her friends!

Great game, a top 4 pick in this draft was guaranteed with the Flames win. Anyone of Reinhart, Ekblad, Draisatl or Bennett will really help a weakness of this club.

114. Clay says:

God, I hope “Butt Wild” sticks.

115. Ice Sage says:

Gagner stays, maybe on the wing, but, Lordy, his Kassian-addled head has recovered.

116. oliveoilers says:

art vandelay:

Uh-huh. You must have seen the same documentary as I did, where every member of the Bruins personally thanked Seguin and told him they couldn’t have done it without him. Claude Julien adopted him, and all was good with the world. On that note, Dan Carcillo and Jamal Mayers have Stanley Cup rings and know a little about winning, if there’s ever a concern.

What ever happened to Seguin, anyways? That awesome a talent must still be in Boston. You don’t trade that.

117. oliveoilers says:

A World War II pilot is reminiscing before school children about his days in the air force.

“In 1942,” he says, “the situation was really tough. The Germans had a very strong air force. I remember,” he continues, “one day I was protecting the bombers and suddenly, out of the clouds, these fokker appeared.
    “I looked up, and right above me was one of them. I aimed at him and shot him down. They were swarming. I immediately realized that there was another fokker behind me.”
    At this instant the girls in the auditorium start to giggle and boys start to laugh. The teacher stands up and says, “I think I should point out that ‘Fokker’ was the name of the German aircraft company”
    “That’s true,” says the pilot, “but these fokkers were flying Messerschmidts.

118. cabbiesmacker says:

oliveoilers:

What ever happened to Seguin, anyways?That awesome a talent must still be in Boston.You don’t trade that.

Whatever happened to Wayne Gretzky anyways?

119. theres oil in virginia says:

cabbiesmacker: Whatever happened to Wayne Gretzky anyways?

He got traded because he didn’t score enough game-winning goals.

120. oliveoilers says:

cabbiesmacker,

theres oil in virginia,

The Yakupov Prophecy……(That’s not a Robert Ludlum book!)

121. commonfan14 says:

cabbiesmacker: Whatever happened to Wayne Gretzky anyways?

Pretty sure he wasn’t traded due to his partying costing the team a Cup.

122. justDOit says:

Clay:
    God, I hope “Butt Wild” sticks.

Try a little Gold Bond powder – that’ll help with the sticking…

123. cabbiesmacker says:

commonfan14: Pretty sure he wasn’t traded due to his partying costing the team a Cup.

Ahhh I see. It was Seguin that caused the Bruins to fold like cheap tents against the Hawks. Gotcha.

The original comment was that Seguin couldn’t carry Hall’s Jockstrap which is of course, ridiculous.

« Older Comments