OILERS AT SHARKS, G76 13-14

What if Craig MacTavish contemplated shaking the Oilers young roster to its foundation last spring. What if, having thought about it, he decided to proceed with caution, to stay the course with the youth movement. What if he said “we’ll bring in a coach with a stern hand, teach these kids about the ‘what you leave’ part of the game and then push into the front lines, battle hardened after Christmas”? If he proceeded with the season in that way, how do you think he would react to what this team put canvas?

• Scotty Bowman, 1968: “There are 20 guys in here who probably have twenty different ways to make out the lineup. I suppose you all have a better way to shuffle this deck and come up with a winning hand. (pause). But let me tell you this, gentlemen: You can’t shuffle deuces and threes.”

We can reasonably assume Sam Gagner is gone from this team, but is he the only member of the team’s young cluster heading out of town? I think the club may have been able to manage it had they saved Hemsky, but at this point the top 6F (Hall, Perron, Nuge, tall 2-way C, Eberle, Yakupov) doesn’t have anyone pushing them from below. And that’s a problem. The club might be able to deal Gagner for a solution that fits better at center, but I’m not sure how that deal would look—additions to 89 would have to be included. How much does a Martin Hanzal go for these days?

WE’VE GOT TRANSACTIONS!!!!!

A flurry (since this is a hockey blog, should it be spelled Fleury?) of transactions by the Oilers yesterday.

• Oilers signed college defenseman Jordan Oesterle. I wrote about him last night, surely you remember.
  • Oilers recalled Will Acton. Not popular with Oiler fans, I’m not sure why. He played with dregs and had predictable results at the start of the year.
  • Barons signed D Graeme Craig. HUGE (6.05, 202) defender. Big men who can skate well get drafted.
  • Oilers and or Barons signed F Josh Winquist. 6.0, 190 and he was a point a game player at 19. 47 goals as an overager, you never know.
  • Greg Chase is also on the way to OKC.
  • Jujhar Khaira is too.
  • Andrew Ference and Luke Gazdic are done for the season

Anton Lander and Tyler Pitlick should get plenty of work.

odrowski

That’s Gerry Odrowski. He played on the original Seals and was a brilliant penalty killer. Oakland had all kinds of interesting players over the years. My favorites were Bill & Ernie Hicke, Bobby Sheehan, Carol Vadnais, Ivan Boldirev, Joey Johnston, Reggie Leach, Stan Weir. My favorite? Gilles Meloche. Most of the stories in the 1970s that involved the Seals went “despite stopping 45 shots, Gilles Meloche and the Seals lost 3-1 to Montreal.”

Maybe Ben Scrivens should call Gilles.

MELOCHE1

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Angry-Cat-878

10 this morning on the Lowdown, TSN 1260. No April Fool’s, but some good fun! Scheduled to appear:

• Michael Parkatti, Boys on the Bus. We’ll talk about Dallas Eakins assertion that the Oilers are not an offensive team.
  • Neal Livingston, Tend the Farm. We were both surprised that Arco signed. Barons did about 30 other things yesterday.
  • Steve Dangle, Leafs Nation. He’s mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore!
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. How will Chase and Khaira do in OKC? Craig and Wingquist? Who ARE they?

10-1260 via text or @Lowetide_ on twitter. Here we go!

273 Responses to "OILERS AT SHARKS, G76 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar: Meh…doesn’t create on his own.

How often have you seen him do something like that without Hall on the ice?

2. Pouzar says:

Marcus Oilerius: How often have you seen him do something like that without Hall on the ice?

Seriously? Do you even watch hockey? Are you watching this game?

and another.

4. fifthcartel says:

I think that hit RNH before going off Braun.

5. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar: Seriously? Do you even watch hockey? Are you watching this game?

Yeah I watch pretty much every game. Think I was the first to comment on Nuge’s second goal, in fact. And yes, I’m aware that Eberle made the pass, but this line looks great as long as Hall is on it. Remember that slump they were going through? Hall happened to be with 89 and 57 for that period.

6. rich says:

After pissing on Fraser for weeks, nice to see him stand up for Belov there.

And of course get the extra two.

Sigh.

7. Derek says:

I’m so confused. Did San Jose play last night or something? Who are the guys on the back end that make actual passes onto the forwards sticks? Why hasn’t the absence of Luke Gazdic scared all of the Edmonton water bugs into ineffectiveness?

Thank goodness Fraser has arrived to remind us of how Oiler hockey works.

8. Kitchener says:

Something about Nuge’s first goal reminded me of Sakic.

Back to Nuge’s intermission interview, I liked the fact that he talked about not being intimidated. THe poor SOB is playing against the league’s best while still green behind the ears. His shoulder recovery and age have worked against him on the stats this year, but this kid is an absolute beauty.

9. Pouzar says:

Marcus Oilerius: Yeah I watch pretty much every game.Think I was the first to comment on Nuge’s second goal, in fact.And yes, I’m aware that Eberle made the pass, but this line looks great as long as Hall is on it.Remember that slump they were going through?Hall happened to be with 89 and 57 for that period.

Pretty sure Eberle’s CF% is better without Hall this year unless I read that wrong….which I may have.

10. pboy says:

At what point do the zebras put on a Sharks jerseys already and stop pretending to be unbiased?

11. jp says:

Even if they don’t win (like last game against the Sharks), it’s nice to see this team is capable of playing reasonable hockey against a good, big team. At least for a little while.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

jp:

13. admiralmark says:

pboy:

No kidding! I don’t normally complain about reefing but this is horrendous.

14. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Yeah, it’s weird. I can’t reconcile how the same 20 guys can resemble an NHL team one night, and then be…well…the Edmonton Oilers on other/most nights.

I too am shocked that a young team is so inconsistent.
    :-P

15. spoiler says:

admiralmark: No kidding! I don’t normally complain about reefing but this is horrendous.

Horrendous reefing… reminds me of my college days.

16. Derek says:

The corgi close for your pleasure: http://www.extraskater.com/game/2014-04-01-oilers-sharks

A good dog.

Edit to add: I realize the game is only 2/3 of the way over but I’ll take any small victory I can get at this point. Stay tuned to watch the Sharks stomp the life out of the happy little dogs in an ugly third.

17. Kitchener says:

The assistant coach addition this summer needs to be a genius motivator. Yin to Eakins’ Yang.

18. Gerta Rauss says:

Kitchener,

Ralph Kreuger..??

*ducks

19. VanOil says:

I love how the Oilers fans are influencing Extraskater’s explanation of there new Momentum chart.

20. jp says:

Derek:

A good dog.

Edit to add: I realize the game is only 2/3 of the way over but I’ll take any small victory I can get at this point.Stay tuned to watch the Sharks stomp the life out of the happy little dogs in an ugly third.

Was just going to post this. And yeah, I’ll take the small victories at this point.

Click on the 5 on 5 numbers for your pleasure. And the skater numbers are quite a trip too.

21. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar: I guess you missed the shift when Eberle was all over the ice with Smyth, Larsen then Gordon.

I did miss that one. Eberle was really good in the replay. Now if only he can be good for 82 games.

22. Chris says:

Next year our coaching staff goes way outside the box and we hire Dr. Phil and Tony Robbins to be assistant coaches.

23. flyfish1168 says:

Ovie -34 after tonight

24. Pouzar says:

Marcus Oilerius: I did miss that one.Eberle was really good in the replay.Now if only he can be good for 82 games.

How bout he’s been pretty damn good for 3 seasons?

Last 3 seasons:

Corey Perry ( 199 GP – 171 pts)
    Jordan Eberle ( 199 GP – 169 pts)

Who’s overpaid again?

25. Kitchener says:

Gerta Rauss,

I really liked RK but the record speaks for itself. We need a good cop. Eakins is well suited to the bad cop roll.

Pure speculation: if the organization is in danger of losing Todd Nelson to another organization (he’s not back in OKC regardless because he’s offered a job elsewhere) they’d consider bringing him up as an assistant.

26. spoiler says:

Does 8th best shock-blockers mean the same thing as 8th most?

27. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler:
    Does 8th best shock-blockers mean the same thing as 8th most?

8th overall

28. tcho says:

Well, gotta say, I’m pretty impressed. SJ is arguably the best team in the league. Certainly top 5. I think they’ve played them pretty even up.

29. Derek says:

spoiler:
    Does 8th best shock-blockers mean the same thing as 8th most?

I would think that being the 8th best shot blocking team in the league should indicate that the Oilers would rate in the top third of the league on a grit and toughness scale. It’s a mystery how they can be so tough and gritty and not be a better hockey team. Hockey is such a mysterious sport.

30. spoiler says:

They should convert Larsen to a forward. He already plays that way. Might as well line him up there.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

ahaahahhhahh.,,,,,

32. jp says:

That was a beautiful goal!!

All Hall though.

33. spoiler says:

Nuge on the bounce tonight.

34. Pouzar says:

Yup. Can’t create.

35. Kitchener says:

Notice how no-one passed to Yak?

36. book¡je says:

Anyone noticed how Nuge has bad body language?

37. dangilitis says:

ashley:
    Derek,

Surely you’re not referring to Ales Hemsky, the former 3RW Oiler not barely worthy of a roster spot and certainly not a new contract offer from one of the worst teams in the league?

Had a 76 comment long discussion with 2 idiotic friends of mine about Hemsky. One of them worked for the hockey news and studied sports journalism. This spanned over 2 weeks, beginning with me posting the day he was traded saying that media will look like fools. This conversation culminated in me sadly informing him that the Leafs are just the Oilers with a better goaltender for much of the year. He was pissed off. Looks like I am 2 for 2 thanks to the discussions on this site, and my ability to “see Hemsky good” for many, many years.

38. spoiler says:

Despite the Oil being caught for some time in the zone there, Belov has been a real pleasure to watch tonight.

39. tcho says:

SJ really pressing after that goal.

40. jp says:

VanOil:

That is too perfect.

Derek: I would think that being the 8th best shot blocking team in the league should indicate that the Oilers would rate in the top third of the league on a grit and toughness scale.It’s a mystery how they can be so tough and gritty and not be a better hockey team.Hockey is such a mysterious sport.

It’s high on the momentum spectrum. That’s for sure.

41. justDOit says:

book¡je:
    Anyone noticed how Nuge has bad body language?

It’s the repaired shoulders. Does it every time.

42. Derek says:

If Belov was a step quicker I think he’d be a pretty damn good player.

43. Thor762 says:

I thought Hall couldn’t be put with Nuge and Eberle to “fix” those two? Wasn’t coach “I’m smarter then everyone” Eakins saying that not too long ago?

Can’t do that. They might actually score goals and make this game interesting.

44. spoiler says:

Dammit Janet.

Schultz overplays the coverage, slipping into his own player and giving Jumbo all the time and space he needs to fly.

45. Derek says:

That’s ok Jultz, no one could’ve predicted Joe Thornton was capable of making that play, he’s typically not that effective down low in the offensive zone.

46. Marcus Oilerius says:

Well, I feel dumber by the minute.

47. stevezie says:

dangilitis,

My facebook exploded today after I lauded Hemsky’s Ottawa play with a status. My friend was honestly arguing (I think?) that Hemsky’s point totals are irrelevant because he doesn’t try hard enough.

It’s a real shame that he and I get to influence each other’s governments even though we clearly live in different universes.

48. jp says:

Sharks announcers also amazed that call went against the Oilers.

49. tcho says:

That didn’t take long!

50. spoiler says:

This year has to be the record for lucky bounce goals against. Has to be. Please Gord let there be some effing regression.

51. Gerta Rauss says:

A whiff, 3 deflections, and it lands on the stick of 30 goal scorer Patrick Marleau

Man

52. Kitchener says:

Thor762,

We can’t call 4-93-14 the West’s best line yet, but it won’t be long and any coach who tries to separate them will be trumped by the GM/owner.

If I’m MacT, here’s my championship blueprint for forwards:

1st line: 4-93-14
    2nd line: 57-__-64
    3rd/4th lines: 27, 23, 94, __, __, __

Chemistry is an elusive thing and 4-93-14 have it.

For the 4th line, if I was GM I’d re-sign Petrell. Who cares if he doesn’t score? That’s not his fucking job.

53. tcho says:

Kitchener:
    Thor762,

For the 4th line, if I was GM I’d re-sign Petrell.Who cares if he doesn’t score?That’s not his fucking job.

I think this is blasphemous around here.

54. spoiler says:

Schultz gets caught with a live grenade in no man’s land again and the Sharks use it to get another powerplay.

55. admiralmark says:

Perrron is brain dead tonight. Dumb dumb penalties.

56. Kitchener says:

tcho,

We scored 4 goals and are losing, yet suggesting that we need a defensive specialist is blasphemy. Verily, Gord’s holy book is divine mystery.

57. tcho says:

Great pressure from the Oil here at the end!

58. Marcus Oilerius says:

Ideal result, IMO. Oilers loss, but feisty game.

59. spoiler says:

Real good composure at the end there. They didn’t get the goal but were smart with the puck and generated some chances. Good effort, but hard luck, boys.

60. Derek says:

I hope everyone figured out their lawn-standing arrangements this afternoon in time to enjoy an actually entertaining Oilers hockey game.

Guys… I’ll admit, I haven’t been paying close attention recently but I think trading Martin Marincin might be a bad idea.

61. tcho says:

Kitchener,

I think it’s the corsi f/a. I don’t remember it precisely, but he was something like 287th out of 289 NHL forwards? Something like that.

62. Thor762 says:

Kitchener,

Yeah I agree it isn’t the best line in the West yet. But it sure as hell is the best line on the Oilers. Was the best line last year as well. It is obvious that line has chemistry. Except to this coaching staff for f$%ks sake.

63. Hockeyman 99 says:

Of all the Mistakes Eakins has made, keeping 4-93-14 apart is unforgivable. We knew they are dominant together. Maybe Coach should have maybe watched some actual video of his team before the season! Ouch!

64. jp says:

Hockeyman 99:

I’m fairly confident Eakins has known all along they’re better together. Splitting them up served to:
    A) attempt to get struggling players scoring
    B) evaluate others on the team with/without Hall

Since the games don’t mean anything at this point it all seems entirely sensible to me.

65. Kitchener says:

tcho,

Yes, you’re right. More refined, my point should be restated as “2 or 3 out of 12 forwards who are basically goal-neutral (no goals for or against) wouldn’t be so bad.”

Florida is doing us no favours. At least we still have a top 3 pick.

66. gogliano says:

This is a lot better team if 4-14-93 (gogliano center convention) learn to play apart. Play them together to start next season, but building future options is one of the things you can do in a lost season with zero cost.

For those keeping score at home, here are the schedules for the 28/29th jockeying:

EDMONTON, 61 points

Home (5):
    CAL
    DAL
    PHI
    TOR
    CLB

Tie between the two teams will put FLA in 29th.

67. lance says:

She fell asleep five hours ago. When she is out before me it sometimes means that I’m in trouble again.

Once the second hour passes I’ve already worked through every possible situation in the coming day, considered every relationship, recreated every conversation in recent memory, and even foiled international sims to the point where I can nearly predict the computer’s next move.

I too have tried everything, although the black towel was a new idea. Next time I’m near a tub I may try it but secretly I know it won’t unplug the wires.

The alarm set to go off in two hours makes me wonder again if pursing a life chasing art was ever a good idea, again. The d-a transformer was left in AZ, so no work can be done, though it never really goes very well anyway. It’s better than purgatory, I think, I’ve only been here, but a least I have a phone.

First block full. I have no limits on block fillage, this rig I can charge and just keep going.

Add two bits on generational gaps? It’s been done. Though I will say that 1990 was the start of Equal Opportunity Employment, the dawn of white guys experiencing a world where the bottom rungs of the ladder were first cut off. Now all the kids have no real prospects, welcome to my world. But hey, I chose this right?

Another hour passes. All caught up on another Oiler loss, the typing may as well begin. Maybe make coffee, but then I’m all maxed out before she’s even awake. Locked inside a state park, maybe I should go mess around with super long exposures of the falls, maybe fire up the engine and at least be warm. The idea that good work can come out of this is ridiculous, we’ve been down there. We all know the results of emails sent, the chances of getting a real photo are probably no better.

Sunlight in 3.5 hours. Read cloutier’s post, slummed around ON, still have no faith that this team can possibly leave the levels of mediocrity on the next decade, tho hockey buzz was pretty fun. At least made me wonder.

There is one thing that I know works for this every time and that is a full day landscaping. Pretty hard to do that now, kinda had to plan ahead about 20 hours ago. The drugs work, I guess, if I have no creative ambition for the morn. Instead I sit, contemplate boiling water, and wait. The worst that can happen is I fall asleep with an hour to go. Then tomorrow is wasted too.

I started writing with the idea of having lucid thoughts about kids and hockey but I’ve since realized that I know almost nothing about either one. Maybe it’s after the fifth hour that the self doubt really gets it’s nelson down. Though if I had a log, that probably was plenty strong in each of the hours after one.

With no idea how long this is, I think of the coo meant about career suicide for perceived failure to properly coddle authority. How can anyone possibly be expected to perform exactly at all times? Maybe it stick because I’ve been so charged. Maybe it was related to a day after this. Maybe no one actually cares and I’m just not cut for this world. I hide behind the safety of a beaker. Or a camera. Until I offend someone else with some comment taken out of place. Based on what? You didn’t sleep last night? They have pills for that.

I can’t even remember the quote from Eakins that allegedly pitted him against these kids, but I finally tonight wondered if he too is an insomniac, where his landscaping is a 60 mile ride. Maybe the wonder kids should hold it against him forever, if that’s a thing, or maybe we should. Though clearly my self doubt hasn’t gone completely guilty bore because even now, I can see through that one crystal clear.

I hope Eakins on an insomniac, I hope people can let go a random comment to a camera once, and I hope thread kids don’t crucify him. It’s hard enough to watch this tire fire. But where is the precident? Who lets anyone off the hook? Sleep deprived or otherwise?

I think I’m going to make coffee. Acceptance is maybe the final stage. Totally unproofed I’m hitting send. I’ve learned to expect the swords forthwith.

68. lance says:

This coffee is excellent. Kona blend from Fred Meyer I think. And I have absolutely nothing else to do.

I fancied myself quite a photographer. I’d had my first newspaper credit in 1989, I knew the concentration of developed required for pushed tmax to best minimize film grain. Then I met her. Who knew anyone could go to art school for seven years and get graduate degrees in architectural photography? It turned out, again, that I was just a hack.

Science had safety. There actually was a right answer. I remember my first sleeping pill. It didn’t remotely knock me out but I was able to study, finally, without bouncing around and around. I think that was about the same time I decided to leave grad school.

The unfolding of life began. I didn’t really understand that the next twenty years would loosely reflect an ever present battle with normal sleep, if I had any idea I don’t know what would have been different. “He could do anything but he’s just wasting it all.” My organic prof actually said thT to my mom on the day of my graduation. But hey, I had no idea either.

DMW I wNt to thank you for that black towel post. Not be a use I have any faith it may work, but to know others deAl too was great. Is there an insomniac support group? If so, what time would it meet?

For the first time ever tonight I have compassion for Eakins. And though my projecting my condition on him is rife with issues, it really worked out for me over here. The last post really had no specific agenda, but this one I’m trying to explore the possibility that maybe he too is worthy of my compassion.

Though I must confess I haven’t been watching the games. And even worse, lately it’s because we’ve been photographing a bank. I am ashamed. Granted the architecture is in many ways profound, and the lady did snag angles that make it look electric, but I’m working for a bank. Does that make me any different from these millionaire kids? Maybe getting locked inside the state park is my Stanley cup maybe I’m awake because I’m SO EXCITED! One of my first experiences with this condition happened before a departmental exam. I thought my acceptance to college hung on tomorrow’s performance and with no coping mechanism or experience in place, well, I got in anyway

We are scheduled to shoot for three days, we have a key to the gate and the bathrooms are unlocked. Is there really a panic? Not actually, is this really about my skills? Not remotely. My only real job is to have a fresh pot of coffee ready at 4:30. Am I really any different than Dallas?

He is not going to hold a stick in tomorrow’s game. He’s not really even required to say a word. So why should he be sleep deprived? It really makes no sense, except to mire in ever increasing self doubt as the hours continue to mount. Where possibly is his stress?

The idea of DE battling sleep deprivation is entirely satiating to me. I have been guilty of throwing every accusatory script his way (in the careful safety of him not being around) but as of tonight I have a whole new look. By projecting my issues on him, he is infinitely more forgiveAble for brashness, misplaced words, and certainly a look that is anything but gentle and comforting. As of tonight I am firmly guarding his back, I’m holding onto the idea that he gets a solid chance, and if these kids will not play his way, then off they go for magic pucks or whatever currency is offered.

Do we have it in us to sympathize with his plight? I guess crucifixion is way more fun, in the check out at Ralph’s I see a billion dollar industry devoted to just that.

But hey. I work for a bank. Like I’m a moral pillar of anything.

69. russ99 says:

Nice “F U Eakins” statlines for the kid line. Who’s not a good offense?

70. Pouzar says:

Anton Belov 76.5 CF%
    Mark Fraser 75 CF%

71. Andy P says:

Kitchener:
    Gerta Rauss,

I really liked RK but the record speaks for itself.We need a good cop. Eakins is well suited to the bad cop roll.

The record does speak for itself. Krueger won 40% of the games he coached with a weaker roster against tougher opposition.

Todd Nelson has already said previously that he’s done being an assistant, he is looking for a HC position. Besides, he’s a better coach than Eakins.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

great loss.

the team seemed to enjoy themselves. scored a few. still managed to stick around to win the tank battle.

that’s my kind of end of the season game. few more of those please!

73. SaskFan says:

Did anyone else see the momentum charts on extraskater? It says “Each team’s momentum based on hits, fights, timeouts, hustle plays, AHL call-ups, coaches’ death stares (est.), and jerseys thrown on ice.”

« Older Comments